• This has to be one of the greatest shows ever aired in the history of television. First off, it starts at camp, which is always interesting. It was about a group of teenage campers facing everyday problems, at camp! The writing for the show was very creative, and it was very well acted. It seems like Nickelodeon is unable to air shows like this today because the crappy cartoons take up the whole schedule. I wish that Nickelodeon would just take one week and air episodes of "Salute Your Shorts," "Hey Dude," "Welcome Freshmen," "You Can't Do That On Television," "Nick Arcade," and "Wild and Crazy Kids." Maybe if these shows would air today, a new generation would be able to enjoy them. Ah, those were the days when you would come home from school and have these shows to look forward to. Too bad they've taken it away.
  • I bet anyone my age who had cable television can remember the greatness of good old Nickelodeon. Salute Your Shorts was absolutely my favorite show! The plots were easy to understand and the characters were (mostly) likable. Whenever I see someone watching Nickelodeon all I can think of is the hours I spent watching the greatest television. I suggest that Nickelodeon brings back all the shows from my childhood: Salute Your Shorts, Clarissa Explains It All, The Secret World of Alex Mack, Rocko's Modern Life, Are You Afraid of the Dark?, The Adventures of Pete and Pete, Double Dare with Marc Summers, Legends of the Hidden Temple, Guts, the old Rugrats(before they grew up and before they went to Paris), and Doug. It seems like yesterday when i heard the Patti Mayonnaise music, got extremely scared from a television show, watched Sam climb into Clarissa's window by climbing a ladder and Alex Mack turn into this liquid mercury stuff, went through the dryer at the laundromat to find Spunky, got extremely slimy with someone else's family, talked to some big rock, used a screwdriver to get out of a playpen, climbed a huge mountain, and went to summer camp. I guess those shows are considered classics now and I really hope that kids who grew up with these shows never forget about them.
  • I remember watching this show when I was little on Nickelodeon. I haven't seen it in a long time and I really miss it. I remember watching this show with other Nickelodeon classics, like the older Rugrats episodes, Rocko's Modern Life, Doug, Aaahh! Real Monsters, Double Dare, Legends of the Hidden Temple, and many other great Nick shows. I really miss the days when Nick aired good shows like this.

Salute Your Shorts told the story of a bunch of kids at camp Anawanna. There was the camp counselor Kevin Ug Lee who the kids always abused, which was hysterical. There was also the mysterious Dr. Kahn, who was never seen, only heard. He was in charge of the camp. My favorite episode was "Ellen Comes to Camp". I give this show 10/10 stars.
  • Before I saw this show, I never really knew the stigmas attached to the word *CAMP* and the dread that kids have over it. I've never been, maybe that's why!

Anywayz-z-z, I enjoy all the characters, but most of all, my fave would have to be Ug-Lee. He is *hilarious* as the hated goofy, but good-guy counselor. He provided 99.999% of the slapstick and physical comedy of "Salute". (Remember when he goes into a movie theatre, and tells the concession lady, "I'll take a popcorn, AND YOU, to go!"(goofy laugh)?!)

My favourite episode, I think, was either the one where Budnick falls for Dina, or the one with the curse of that ox skull, when the guys split from the girls and each go into a cave, when Dina and Telly are fighting at first, but then make-up, while the guys try plucking one of Ug's nosehairs out for the "skull" ritual.

Of course, who could forget Capture the Flag and all those food fights?

-Sep
  • My second favorite non-animated show on Nickelodeon. The first, of course, would have to be the Adventures of Pete and Pete. There were so many great things about this show, they're too many to list. All I can say is Nick needs to get back in gear and start running these old shows that came of Nickelodeon back when I was a kid. Shows like Pete and Pete, Rocko's Modern Life, Salute Your Shorts (of course) Clarissa Explains it All (did you know she went to see Pearl Jam in one episode, and Nirvana in another?) and maybe even some Roundhouse. Definitely don't bring back stupid Alex Mack or even Hey! Dude. I wasn't really too fond of either of those shows. They were just too cheesy without enough comedy. Hell, Alex Mack wasn't even a comedy, it was just a sad attempt at a kid's action/drama.

All I can say is, bring back the better shows. The shows from back in the day when the ads for Nick had a dog in a karate outfit dancing on two legs while an ocapella sang "Ni-ni-ni-n'nick-nick-nick- Nick-el-o-deon!
  • Man, I used to not be able to wait for the weekends, and just sit there until 2 PM and just switch it to Nickelodeon and watch this show.

I think this show not only made me crack up compulsively, but it also opened me up to classical music.

I have way too many favorite episodes to name... especially Pinsky's first episode.

Is it just me, or did anyone think Dina was damn hot?

Too bad all this politically correct crap has flooded Nick now.

It was one of the greats... along with Pete and Pete, the early episodes of Are You Afraid of the Dark, and Hey Dude.

BRING 'EM BACK!!!
  • "Salute Your Shorts" may not be the finest television program ever created, but it sure does rank pretty high when concerning Nickelodeon shows. Thanks to Nick GAS (a channel that also airs "Double Dare," "Finders Keepers," "Legends of the Hidden Temple," etc) I've been catching it once or twice every weekend this summer.

I wasn't expecting much, to tell you the truth. I was a young kid the last time I saw this show, and, of course, my tastes have since irreversibly changed.

I was quite surprised to find a very entertaining show. The cinematography and camera angles are actually compelling; the direction is sure-handed and solid. Although the acting can sometimes lean a bit toward the amateurish side at times, it kind of adds to the show's charm. Don't get me wrong -- there is some really good acting here, too.

One of the few old Nickelodeon shows to hold up so well, "Salute Your Shorts" is a lost classic that deserves far more credit than it gets.
  • "Salute Your Shorts" (SYS) began with all the stereotypical characters. It became something else entirely. With inspired mayhem like a visit from Ug's horrific niece to a capture the flag game gone "Apocalypse Now," SYS is a sister show to "Hey Dude" - somewhat realistic, but always funny. The use of classical music (such as Tchaichovsky's "Marche Slave") as a soundtrack in many places gives the show a nice ironic, surreal feel that current Nick comedies sorely lack.

Fave Eps

Capture the Flag - Very cool spoofs of many war movies. Go Donkey Lips and ZeeZee!

Wrestling Team - Seeing Donkey Lips and Sponge trying to make the team is hilarious and heartwarming, too.

A night at the movies - A change of setting means cinema based hilarity.
  • This was my favorite show on Nickelodeon as a little kid. My favorite episode was always the one about the Capture the Flag game against the other camp. My favorite part was when Donkey Lips came up behind a guy and creamed him with a water balloon up close while he was on the ground. Michael was a pretty cool guy, but I think his replacement, Pinsky, was a lot more animated. I also enjoyed the schemes they both pulled along with Sponge, Donkey Lips, and Budnick. Ug was also hilarious in the ways that he made a complete a** of himself all the time. I don't think Nickelodeon airs the show anymore. A definite kids show classic.
  • This show was fabulous. It was original, creative, and enjoyable. It had everything u could ever want. The characters on this show were interesting, and the plotlines and settings were dramaticly nice. The only negative thing about this show is that it cancelled so quickly. They should have made more episodes. 26 is not enough. But since it's over, they should at least bring back the wonderul reruns of it.
  • Yes! I'm so happy! I just got an e-mail from TvshowsonDVD.com that nickelodeon is planning on releasing multiple shows on DVD in a set called "the Rewind Collection" which includes Clarissa, Pete and Pete, salute your shorts, Are You Afraid Of the Dark and You Can't Do That On Television! Yes! The classics are coming. Everybody can once again enjoy the best TV shows that Nickelodeon got it's true beginning from! The First season of each of these shows are said to be released around May 17th. After all these years of begging for them to put these shows back on the air, we can get the next best thing...a better thing...we can buy them and enjoy them in our own homes! It's just such a relief that Nickelodeon is finally recognizing the enormous pleasure that these shows once brought everyone and will bring them again.
  • Salute Your Shorts was just one of so many awesome shows on Nick that I truly miss. Nickelodeon just doesn't produce the same quality or caliber of television shows that they used too. Pete & Pete, Salute Your Shorts, Clarissa Explains It All, etc. Television sure has changed since I was a kid. Salute Your Shorts, in general, was just an excellent kids program. I remember I used to get so excited just to watch it. I don't even bother turning on my television set anymore. There is nothing out there like the old programs from when I was little. I miss ug and the gang:( Although I do have an icon you all may enjoy. I hope this works. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/sweetangela20/CampAnawanna.gif

Feel free to use this wherever you like. Enjoy!
  • Ahhh, Salute Your Shorts. The essence of TRUE Nick humor lies in this show, no longer aired on Nickelodeon. I grew up with this show, along with other shows like Hey, Dude, Welcome Freshmen, and You Can't Do That On Television. This was when Nick was about being a kid and enjoying it. And when things were basically about nothing, and nothing is fun! Nowadays Nick is just cartoons; geared toward younger viewers. No live action comedies at all. Just Spongebob (yuck).

This show was about kids at a summer camp and the episodes were so funny! Unforgettable characters like Budnik, Sponge (who was my favorite because he was like me, a scrawny smart nerd-like guy) and Donkey Lips? I laughed my head off at it. It was so unbelieveable yet so believeable. Why doesn't Nick make shows like this anymore? Maybe they should start showing these shows on Nick At Nite or something, since now people who have grown up with these shows are in college or at least high school.
  • hellraiser725 July 2012
    Camping in my book always was a double edged sword. On one hand it could be a wonderful and memorable experience full of fun and games as well as the beauty of the outdoors. But on the other hand it can be a living hell, form bad food, forced to bear our door discomforts, minimum technology, and worst of all boredom. This show though makes camp seem like a not so bad place to spend summer in.

This show is somewhat of a parody on the numerous camp films in the 80's, some good, some bad, or some so bad threat their good. It was made on a low budget but it was great because they don't rely on gimmicks to get a quick solution; it literally made those camp film a footnote compared to this show which was powered mainly by good dialog, good characters, and the oddball adventures they go on.

Indeed the characters are all odd and colorful, but they all despite not a great amount of depth we get to know them which makes them feel actually human. For the girls faction there's Telly an athletic overachiever, ZZ enviormentally conscientious and a bit bubble headed, and my favorite Dina Alexander a self absorbed dram queen that is too afraid to get both her hands and body dirty sometimes.

Then for the boys faction there's Michael whom was a straight man of the bunch though by second season he was replaced by Pinsky whom is sort of a young Fonzerilla he's cool and is able to get things going his way. Sponge is true to his name (or nickname) a brainac, Donkey Lips humble and slightly stumbling sometimes, and two of my favorites Budnick whom is a rebel of the bunch that constantly schemes to smuggle outside food and gives about everyone grief. Finally Ug a dumb as dirt camp councilor that tries to keep the kids under control but fails miserably.

Thhe show is loaded with memorable episodes which comply with two schools of comedy both physical humor but most of all verbal humor form small parts of the dialog to memorable quotes and one liners. Three of my favorite episodes were Capture the Flag when the characters had to go against another camp and unfortunately Budnick is a terrible commander and meets a dramatic demise (an homage to "Platoon"). A Halloween episode where all the characters make bet with Budnick that they can actually scare him of course they all fail miserably but there's a twist in the end; but the one thing that makes the episode stand out was it actually created a memorable monster that might have given kids nightmares. And finally the third episode which was the first and only two parter the show had where Budnick admits his feelings to Dina but has to change certain things about himself to keep her. Unfortunately the change just really cramps on his identity and Dina discovers she may have preferred the old Budnick than the ideal guy she had in mind.

This is an ideal camp we wish really would exist.

Rating: 4 stars
  • Hello everyone in the internet world. When I was growing up I used to watch a lot of TV shows that where really great. The 90s was one of the best decades for television. Salute Your Shorts was one of the greatest shows ever on television, it had the right qualities of a good kid's TV show it had great characters, great stories, lots of heart, morals, tons of humor , & all around greatness. If this show ever gets released on DVD I recommend everyone who grew up in the 90s to pick it you will fall in love with the show all over again. I think they should bring this show back for reruns because we all need a little of our childhood to look back on and remember the good old times when their was great Television on Television.
  • larryballer0613 January 2007
    I'm 20 years old but i still faintly remember all of those good shows from nick. nick arcade was my favorite because I'm a video game fanatic. the only thing i really remember from salute your shorts is Zeke the plumber. anyone else remember him? mad shouts to double dare, Clarissa, Doug, are you afraid of the dark,roundhouse,Alex mack, all that, wild and crazy kids, Rocco, real monsters,weird world of Allen strange,pete and pete, ren and stimpy, hey dude, i cant really remember this one show but it had puppets on it, and the old young rugrats lol. i also liked Disney in mid to late 90's but i turn to it now and hurl. i miss the jersey
  • THIS was when Nickeldeon was good. THIS was when it truly was a network for kids. I truly miss this show and the other shows that I used to watch, like Legends of the Hidden Temple, Pete and Pete, and Rocko's Modern Life. Though it was only on for such a short time, it was a fun ride while it lasted.

Sadly, I cannot fully give a good comment on it because of the fact that it's been so long since I've watched it and I cannot remember a lot of it. However, I'm sure a good of number of people can help you out with it.

I must track down a DVD of this show.

Remember, kids, a giraffe's tongue is purple! Or was it black? Or dark blue? Hmm...
  • I used to watch this show when I was growing up. When I think about it, I remember it very well. If you ask me, it was a good show. Two things I especially remember very well the opening sequence and theme song. In addition to that, everyone was ideally cast. Also, the writing was very strong. The performances were top-grade, too. I hope some network brings it back so I can see every episode. Speaking of that, one of my favorite episodes is the one where Sponge (Tim Eyster) and Donkeylips (Michael Bower) sneak fast food into everyone's cabin. Before I wrap this up, I'd like to say that I'll always remember this show in my memory forever, even though I'm not sure if I've seen every episode. Now, in conclusion, if some network ever brings it back, I hope that you catch it one day before it goes off the air for good.
  • crofman2113 December 2005
    this was a great show, sadly too young to remember most of the plots and what happened but still remember the show and how great it was, it was on my I.O a couple of years ago on some nick channel and i watched some of it, even if they showed in once per week that would be fine. Now all the shows they have on nick are boring except for like spongebob i like that show, but this show was unique about kids at a camp about real life, even though compared to the shows now there are better actors doing shows better plots but maybe thats what was good about this show that it had an old fashion to it. So I'm saying we should all try to get this show back onto the air because i know i would watch, would anyone else out there want to see this show again on TV i know i would.
  • sepkiss29 September 2005
    The old Nick shows were so good. I miss them. the original All That was really good too. I'm one of the few people in the world who truly hate SpongeBob SquarePants. So I say Nick should get their old shows back and get rid of some of their new ones. In order to further my point I'm 16 and feel that the cartoons are even below my level, I have for a long time now. but what ever the old shows rocked. I miss "Pete and Pete" and "Salute Your Shorts" and "Welcome Freshmen". If you look hard enough you can find protests trying to get them back. But Nick probably won't ever listen. Every once and a while though they put stuff from the old shows on their site. Or show them in the afternoon. The N Nicks educational teen channel. Used to have "Pete and Pete" and "Clarissa Explains it All" on. I don't think they do anymore. But the N has better shows than regular Nick usually. I don't get to watch it much.
  • I don't know what Nick is these days. Like what happened to the OLD Doug, Salute Your Shorts, GUTS, Legands of the Hidden Temple, OLD All That, OLD Are You Afraid of the Dark?, Alex Mack, Pete and Pete, Double Dare, What Would You Do?, and Hey Dude! BRING THEM BACK!

Nick used to be so good before they started getting these new stupid cartoons and when the channel actually had shows with actual people and not computer animated stuff.

At least start making these shows on DVD or something! Create a channel where it's all good Nick shows!

I mean come on I still remember all the theme songs for the shows!
  • Salute Your Shorts was definitely the best show on Nickelodeon and to see it cancel was a BIG mistake! I hate these new shows like "Zoey 101" What is that? I mean just because she's Britney Spears' little sister means its a guaranteed show? Or "Unfabulous" Wow a girl plays a guitar about her life..IT Isn't FUNNY! Bring back Salute Your Shorts! And other ones like.."Clarissa Explains it All", "Rockos Modern Life", "Are You Afraid Of the Dark", "Pete and Pete" (Not a big fan of it, but still a classic), and I'd like to take a peek at "Weinerville" again. I mean yeah, some good shows are still playing like "Figure It Out" and "Global Guts", but the other ones were classics. Bring them back...
    Salute Your Shorts is one of the last of the great Nickelodean lineups. Shows that were geared toward older, probably early teen audiences like Clarissa Explains It All, Hey Dude, The Adventures of Pete and Pete, The Secret World of Alex Mac (which aired later than the rest of this list), and so forth. They were shows that were simply interesting because unlike network television, they were shows with a premise that were just altogether different, and when they finally went off the air, Nickelodean surely landed in the crapper (must Viacom destroy everything it buys?).

Camp Anawana was a perpetual summer camp, or at least, so long as the show was on, the kids were at summer camp. Looking back, the show was incredibly corny (some episodes are still available on peer-to-peer networks for the desperate searcher) as many of Nickelodean's shows were, but then again, it was for younger audiences. Nonetheless, it was great entertainment. Too bad it was only on for a year, but I guess with a plot like that, you can easily run out of ideas.

The show never really had a main character. It was simply about various adventures and mishaps of some of the kids (Danny Cooksey being the most memorable as misfit mullethead, Bobby Budnick and Rilo Kiley guitarist/vocalist Blake Soper/Sennet as smart ass Ronnie Pinsky who joined the cast in 1992), doofus camp counselor and butt of many jokes U.G. Lee, and the omnipresent but never visible Doctor Kahn who's voice was regularly projected on the P.A. notifying the camp of weird things oddly similar to Bill Murray's P.A. announcements in the first Meatballs movie. I can't remember all the shows, but a few of my favorites were the one where Sponge is being prepped for a radio sweepstakes question, the one where Michael and Budnick are stuck at camp after pretending to be sick, and the one that focused on baseball tryouts or something (I vaguely remember the whole thing).

Dang! Can't people in the television industry see that viewers are craving some original, good shows? They just have to use the early 90s as their models. Especially you Viacom, bain of my television viewing!
  • Dina was hot and ZZ was cute... I was six and knew that. Campers of this great camp, join me in an "Awful Waffle" chant! Or not. Anywho, I loved this show and it's a shame that it went bye-bye so soon and I had to find other things like this show ("Bug Juice" blew but "Camp Nowhere" was pretty kule). I walk around singing the theme sometimes. <snff> Y'know, Hot Topic should've jumped on this a long time ago. That store's into nostalgia for us young'ns (I saw Gizmo and "Bobby's World" stuff there... BOBBY'S WORLD). We should protest. I'm being partly serious with this. How many of you would buy a "Camp Anawana" (sorry if it's spelled wrong) shirt if you could buy them now? And another thing, I say we write to Nickelodeon and get them to release "Salute Your Shorts" on DVD as either a season one/ season two thing or one mondo set (I don't think the show had many episodes so the mondo set isn't so far-fetched). Cast commentaries would be great but I don't think all of them would be there. Ah well. First this then "Ren and Stimpy."
  • Although calling it a "classic" doesn't sound right, I will always hold this show in high regard. I was young, but it was funny, and I loved it. It was original and that is one thing that stands out for me. I have never seen anything quite like it since, and no imitation would be able to compare. If I was given the opportunity to buy it on DVD I would jump at the chance. Nickelodeon is definitely not what it used to be, and I wish this younger generation could have the opportunity to see more of the shows that my generation was brought up with. I watched a lot of TV and movies, and as strange as it sounds, they had a big hand in shaping my perception of what life was supposed to be like. Boy was I surprised to go to high school and see that not everybody looked the cast of 90210 or Grease. Cartoons like Doug and Rugrats were my all time TV favorites, but I can't stand the newer Rugrats episodes. Clarissa Explains It All and Eat Your Shorts were two of the few shows where teenagers were actually played by teenagers.