User Reviews (128)

• The sweetness that "Father of the Bride" exudes does not stem from the fact that it is funny, but rather because it is honest. It's a remake of the 1950s Spencer Tracy classic (which is great in its own right), but has more warmth about it than that film did. It doesn't rely on slapstick as much as it does on the realistic and ironic lead performance by Steve Martin. This is Martin's second favorite film that he has starred in (behind "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" and followed by "Little Shop of Horrors"), and I can see why.

Martin stars as George Banks, a wealthy upper-class businessman living in Suburban America with a gentle wife (Diane Keaton) and feisty son (Kieran Culkin). His oldest daughter (Kimberly Williams) has finally grown up and departed the house, and the day she comes home with a fiancée he literally has a panic attack.

She's getting married to possibly the most sensitive man in the world, but George is oblivious to this. All he sees are two big words flashing about the room: LOSING and DAUGHTER. But he is even more upset when he realizes the cost of the wedding: about a couple hundred dollars per head, multiplied by six hundred. You do the math.

Nina (Keaton) and her daughter hire Franck Eggelhoffer to handle the wedding, and Eggelhoffer is one of Martin Short's finest roles. Short, an ex-"SNL" member, and star of "Three Amigos" (which also starred Martin), is simply hilarious as the ecstatic and eccentric Frenchman. Amidst the ceremony's setup procedures, George cannot believe he is the only one who realizes just how crazy the cost of the wedding is.

Let's get this straight: "Father of the Bride" is nothing great. It's been done before, and it will be done again (and it has). Yet because of a likable and warm presence, the movie is more than just the sentimental goo that it nearly becomes at certain points throughout. It's truthful, blunt, and occasionally rather funny, which makes for an entertaining and extremely likable motion picture.

This is not Steve Martin's greatest role. That honor would go to his portrayal of frustrated advertising executive Neal Page in "Planes, Trains and Automobiles." But here he provides us with a character almost as realistic, touching and likable. Neal was the character we empathized with in "Planes," and in "Bride" it's essentially the same for Martin. We're seeing the world through his eyes - which explains the reason it is quite often very overwhelming and comical.

The movie indeed benefits from Martin's portrayal of a worried father - not as scared by the fact that his daughter is getting married, as he is by the idea that he will undoubtedly lose her to another man. It's a turning point in both their lives, but it doubles for him. Not only has he essentially lost his daughter, but also he has also just been faced with the reality that he is old enough to nearly be a granddad. This would leave good room for a sequel. Oh, wait...

4/5 stars.

• John Ulmer
  • I re-watched this movie today after seeing it a couple of years ago. I didn't remember half of what happened in the movie, but even the stuff that I remembered amused me again. Steve Martin is his usual self, very funny, great body language...simply great. It's been a while since I've seen such a good, not laugh-out-loud funny, funny comedy. Most of the newer comedies have less realism, less normal subjects and plots, and try too hard to be funny. While this movie definitely has it's share in sentimentality, especially towards the end, pretty much most of the last thirty minutes, but it is still funny, and you don't lose interest in it. A great family comedy, it is pretty much funny for all ages. This is a good movie to sit down with the entire family and watch. Most people will enjoy it, and most people will find at least a few things to laugh at in it, if not Steve Martins nervous father character then maybe Martin Shorts character with the ridiculous accent. There's something for everybody in this one; well, pretty much, anyway. 8/10
  • JosiReviews30 September 2018
    Why can't they bring back this genre of movies? Simple, every day life without super drama. Watching a dad have a meltdown over his daughter's wedding is realistic and Steve Martin's character is so relatable. The super market moment with the hot dog buns is hilarious and so dead on. Nowadays it feels like writers/producers have no idea what is happening in the real world. I have watched countless movies where the characters drive new cars and $500k+ houses and are portrayed as the struggling, all-American family lol even though this family has a stunning house, they still come across grounded and humble.
  • aidanratesmovies17 September 2021
    An incredibly charming and heartfelt little comedy- Father of the Bride manages to feel genuine and hilarious all at once thanks largely to Martin's comedic abilities and a well written script. I have little to no complaints about this movie at all. The ending is a bit cheap I have to say, but all in all I did enjoy the film all the way through and was actually tearing up from time to time. What makes Father of the Bride so different from many modern day comedies is that it isn't afraid to get personal and it isn't afraid to show it cares, even despite characters being against that. Martin is absolutely perfect in the leading role, and gives the film the exact kind of energy it needs. The rest of the supporting cast is also rather good, especially the bride herself- Kimberly Williams-Paisley whose father daughter chemistry with Martin feels so natural that it's hard to remember they are not at all related. The film is so incredibly insightful and genuine in its personalization of character that it's hard to not watch the film and see a mirror into your own life. It's a magical comedy unlike no other, and they truly don't make films like this one anymore. In the end, Father of the Bride is among my favorite Steve Martin movies, and manages to get both a smile and tear out of me with every watch.

My Rating: 9.5/10.
  • "Father of the Bride" was made back in the days when Steve Martin still had a really funny streak (which unfortunately seems to have ended with the "Cheaper by the Dozen" movies and the "Pink Panther" remake). The plot of course has him as suburban everyman George Banks getting ready for his daughter's wedding, with a series of hilarious mishaps along the way. Some of the scenes just make you die laughing, as you think "Oh my God! They're really doing that!" (you'll know these scenes when you see them). A real treat. Also starring Diane Keaton and Martin Short.

I wish to assert that 1991 was Steve Martin's best movie year ever. Aside from this, he also starred in "L.A. Story" and got a serious role in "Grand Canyon". He is a genius, you can't deny that.
  • B. D. Wong co-stars in Father of the Bride. It's hard to believe it was released 30 years ago! Anyway, I found it hilarious, funny, touching and relatable, especially in the demands put on the father to fund guests and all to the wedding.

Hopefully Father of the Bride can be rebooted for more modern times. I nominate acclaimed British actor Danny Dyer to play the father.
  • I remember a few years ago seeing Father of the Bride on TV, but of course it's edited and I never finished it, it's sad, I call myself a Steve Martin fan and never finished this movie. It's such a classic in itself and is just a nice family film that's a good watch. So I decided to rent Father of the Bride the other day, I just love this movie. It's one of the rare films that is genuinely good and just means to entertain you, your family and friends as well. Steve Martin makes such a great over protective dad, as much as he drives his daughter crazy in the film, you still gotta love him that he's so protective over his baby girl. Father of the Bride is a great comedy and is a good watch with it's sweet story and lovable characters. Before Meet the Parents, there was Father of the Bride.

George has an excellent life: good job, nice home, beautiful wife, and two loving kids, one of which is his daughter who has just come home from Rome getting her masters in architecture and announces she's getting married to a man she met there, Bryan. George is going crazy, loosing his baby girl so fast and now having to deal with not being the main guy in her life that she will go too for help. George has to also deal with the crazy wedding planner, Franck Eggelhoffer, trying to break up his daughter and her fiancée, and Bryan's rich parents.

Father of the Bride is a good film and I really recommend it, it's one of those films that you get a few good laughs for and just feel good afterwards. Steve Martin made George such a lovable character, even though he's trying to break up his daughter and her fiancée, you could understand why through his narration and the way he talks, every dad could relate too. Martin Short as Franck Eggelhoffer is a little over done, but still delivers good laughs. Father of the Bride is a just a fun movie that anyone could enjoy, it gives good laughs and might even make you shed a tear.

• Father of the Bride hits differently when you're a dad. I was a kid when this movie came out, so I had sympathy for George Banks, but now that I have daughters of my own, I have empathy. Regardless of whether you're a parent or not, this movie is still a lighthearted comedy which comically showcases some of the stresses that can come with wedding planning.
    First, this review is for Father of the Bride 1 AND 2. If run back to back, they run like one beautiful story. This production is great from start to finish. Everything about it is wonderful, including the story, the acting performances and the direction. This is the best example of Martin's versatility as an actor. His comedic style is rather straight with zany insertions to highlight the otherwise serious atmosphere of his performances.

He plays a wonderful straight man-turned-comic-turned straight man. This movie is no exception. His performance is comedic, yet startlingly genuine.

Martin Short is hilarious and Diane Keaton is just as genuine in her portrayal of Steve Martin's wife as is Martin's. I love this movie. I love its ability to make you commiserate with Martin's character; with how he feels, and what he's going through.

This one brings up every emotion in the spectrum, and I love it. It's less about family, and more about life's curves; the every-day things that make us crazy, happy, sad, and ultimately stronger. It's entertaining and at the same time makes you think, consider, ponder the events which have led us to where we are now.

Combined, they rate 8.6/10 from...

the Fiend :.
  • While not Steve Martin's best film or role, he shines in a very likable and watchable comedy film. His Tom Jones impersonation especially is absolutely brilliant. Diane Keaton sparkles as his uncomplaining wife, and Kimberly Williams is sweet and alluring as his daughter Annie(she looked stunning in the wedding dress), while Martin Short gives a wonderfully fluffy turn as the camp wedding organiser. Onto the other elements of the film, while sentimental in places and perhaps a little unoriginal, what lifts it aside from the excellent performances is the beautiful scenery and cinematography, a nice script, assured direction and a pleasant soundtrack. Plus there were enough laughs to satisfy me, going for subtlety rather than wackiness, making it even more pleasant to watch. Overall, engaging and definitely worth watching. 8/10 Bethany Cox
    I just watched both this movie and part 2 this past weekend,back to back so I'll be reviewing both. I've never seen the original 1950s version,although after watching these,I'm certainly going to.

In a way this is like Martin's movie,"Parenthood" but not as serio-comic. It's a perfect vehicle for not just his comedic talents but like so many of his intelligent comedies,it shows he's also a good actor.

He's the perfect example of a man who doesn't adapt to change very easily and practically has a nervous breakdown about his "little girl" coming home and announcing she met a guy in Rome and is now engaged.

He's a gigantic,cheapskate worry-wart about how much his daughter's wedding is going to set him back. Instead of concerning himself with the real issue that this should be the happiest day of her life. In short,he makes her big moment all about him.

He does it in great comic fashion,as he gets more and more frustrated and looney until he lands himself in jail for stealing hot dog buns! His wife then sets him straight and he really starts to consider his daughter more.

While no father is 100% accepting of their daughter's intended at first,George Banks has nothing but pure suspicion of Bryan at first. He thinks,"There's got to be something wrong with this guy". Of course there isn't.

Martin Short's wedding coordinator not only speaks broken English,it's pretty much torn to shreds funny! : "Do you lahk this $1200 cahk?" George: WHAT?!

Within all this great comedy is a touching story about the day one's child is grown up and leaves the nest. Done here without a hint of sappiness. The wedding is a spectacular one and the reception is crowded to the point of the house's walls bursting. It's simply a fun little film worth watching,especially helpful for you if your kids are about to get married or leave home.

9 out of 10. 1 off for the predictable "Dad we had a fight & the wedding's off" scene,sure saw that one coming!
  • i thought this was a really cute,touching movie.i found the performances authentic and sincere as well as how each person reacted to the big event,from the announcement of the big event right to the last scene in the movie.Steve Martin was terrific as George,the Father.Dianne Keaton was great as the Mother.as for the bride herself,Kimberly Williams,she came off as very real and believable.however,the character i liked the most was the wacky wedding choreographer,played by Martin Short.he was a scream.all in all,a very heartfelt,well done movie.i have yet to see the original 1950 version with Spencer Tracy,Joan Bennett,and Elizabeth Taylor,but i hope to soon.as for this remake,i give it an 8/10
  • I've watched Father Of The Bride numerous times over the years and it's still a good family comedy to watch Steve Martin gives a hilarious and heartwarming performance. I laughed at the way Martin's character acted when his daughter announced her wedding plans and the scene that was touching was when father and daughter were outside and snow began falling it was nice.

Martin Short's role as Franck Eggelhoffer was both comical and very funny. George Banks (Martin) a middle class man and owner of a sports shoe company has it all a great job, a nice house, a beautiful wife Nina (Keaton) and son Matt (Culkin). He's in for the surprise of his life when his 22 year old daughter Annie (Williams) comes home and announces that she's getting married to Bryan MacKenzie (Newburn)a computer genius from a wealthy family.

From then on George is in a constant state of panic because the wedding will cost too much and the fact that his daughter is grown up. However by the end of the movie he finally accepts that his daughter is an adult and has her own life.

The rest of the cast gave great performances I recommend this movie to fans of Steve Martin who enjoy his comedy antics 8/10.
  • I didn't even know until recently that this was a remake of another movie. Now, I'm very interested to see the original "Father of the Bride". Anyhow, I thought this movie was excellent. There is virtually nothing to complain about. The story is very interesting and very nice, the comedy is hilarious, the acting is fantastic, everything is awesome about this film!

All the actors do a great job: Steve Martin, Diane Keaton, Kimberly Williams, George Newbern, Kieran Culkin, Martin Short, B.D. Wong and an extremely small part by Eugene Levy. Everyone else in the film was great too. I think Martin Short and B.D. Wong deserve some special notice for this film. They are both hilarious and play their parts incredibly well!

This movie is great from start to finish. I would definitely recommend this movie if you're into funny/romantic films. I hope that you enjoy this film as much as I did. Thanks for reading,

-Chris
    Where the 1950 version was as stiff as a piece of wood, the 1991 version is more of a reconfiguration of the initial story than a remake -- even when there are scenes that virtually reconstruct the 1950 movie. Now, while Vincent Minnelli's movie depicted a world no one except those living at that time -- and even then, that's a stretch -- could identify with, Charles Shyer brings those upper-crust sensibilities into a contemporary setting and creates a truly poignant study of a father (Steve Martin) who is about to lose his little girl even though she's already twenty-two and an Architect in her own right and is played by Kimberley Williams. We can relate to the complex emotions he has to go through even when some of the situations he gets involved in are the stuff of perfunctory comedy. However, his narration which opens and closes the movie and his quieter scenes point at a deeper study of a man who is perplexed at what is happening, and who's heart is breaking neatly in two.

Another update is having Diane Keaton's character a true person in her own right, and who better than Keaton to play a real woman? After all, she's the one who created and immortalized a performance as Annie Hall, the quintessential New Yorker of the Seventies. Diane Keaton is a perfect balance to the maniacal antics of Steve Martin who has plenty of slapstick opportunities. She imbues her character with a sense of intelligence and practicality Joan Bennett could never bring to her own -- then again, Bennett wasn't an actress known for her warmth, let alone capacity to play a real person. In many ways, Keaton plays her role surprisingly similar to the way Katharine Hepburn did in GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER? in the way she openly embraces her daughters entrance into adulthood.

Visually FATHER OF THE BRIDE has a close relation to BETSY'S WEDDING with its warm colors and affluent settings. There are moments in the movie that are so filled with sentimentalism it's a miracle tears wouldn't be shed, and even trivial events -- such as Williams' explosive reaction to a blender she receives from her husband to be, played by the underrated George Newbern -- are rife with realism. This is a comedy that is well aware of the type of story it is telling and is far removed from being an all-out laugh fest. The only moments of extreme comic relief are the ones which introduce and involve Martin Short and B. D. Wong as two bridal consultants from Planet X and while there may be talk that their characters' raging effeminacy only prolongs the stereotypical behavior of homosexual men, I didn't care -- this is comedy first and foremost and neither character was the butt of a joke, but the creator of one.
  • FATHER OF THE BRIDE, in my opinion, is one of the most romantic, heart-warming, and enchanting comedies I have ever seen. If you ask me, Alan Silvestri's score was absolutely romantic. In addition, I thought that the performances were superior, the directing was excellent, the costumes were perfectly designed, and the casting was perfect. Also, I was surprised that Martin Short sported his accent. Kudos to Charles Shyer and everyone involved for a job well done. Now, in conclusion, if you are a fan Steve Martin, Diane Keaton, or Martin Short, I highly recommend this movie. You're in for a feel good time, so see this movie today. You're in for a good time, so go to the video store, rent it or buy it, kick back with a friend, and watch it.
  • Meredith-725 April 2000
    I have never seen the original so I can't really compare the two. On its own merits I thought FOTB to be really entertaining. Of course its predictable, but its meant to be. martin Short is hilarious as the wedding organiser, and Steve Martin is at his dead pan best. Kimberly Williams was excellent in her role as the young bride to be, particularly as it was her debut. The story goes along nicely but I must say the wedding seemed like the most expensive and lavish in wedding movie history, particularly seeming George Banks is your normal suburban father- not a multi millionaire. There are some fairly amusing scenes, but really its a nice movie. Its the type of movie you watch with your mother, or sister and think if only love, life and family were really that simple. In other words its escapism, almost like a fantasy...enjoy.
  • Steve Martin with Diane Keaton and new-comer Kimberly Williams-Paisly shine in Father of the Bride. Picture your daughter (Kimberly Paisly) coming home from Eorope and telling you she's engaged... you can scream... now! George and Nora Banks (Steve Martin and Diane Keaton), being the parents of the bride, the must organize and pay for the wedding. So, they decide to hire a wedding planner. And J-Lo wasn't available, so they got the crazy Franck (Martin Short) and his team to plan it for them. With picking out a cake, Meeting the in-laws, finding a church, and making sure the swans arrive on time starts making George go crazy! If you have had a daughter get married, you will find that this movie is not far from the truth! If you can find a happier, sweeter, and lovable movie, (which ain't possible!) please tell me!

Oceans_13
  • I really want to enjoy this movie. It's cute. However, there's a major stumbling block for me. I find it nauseating that the bride in this movie is so incredibly spoiled. She expects her father, who has worked hard all his life to build a successful business, to spend $250 a head for what is probably a wedding of between 200-300 guests? Am I the only one who did the math on this one? I kept waiting for someone to say, hey there bride-to-be, you're asking way too much, but no--everyone gangs up on the father, who is concerned about the price tag, and acts as though *he's* he unreasonable one.

I know this is just a movie, and I know it's not meant to be the issue we focus on, but I find behavior like this so egregiously offensive that it largely kills the humor of an otherwise cute movie for me.
  • OK, OK, the characters are a little bit "Brady Bunch" - sweet little Annie, the perfect daughter, George, the doting and totally befuddled father, and Nina, the soothing, calming, hold-it-all-together wife and mother. They're a little bit larger than life in this classic comic, but who cares! For any father who loves his daughter, this movie simply can't be watched without feeling a tearing at the heart and a lump in the throat. Father of The Bride can be viewed purely as a bit of light-hearted comedy that mocks the way Dads can sometimes be, but by looking just a little deeper, it contains valuable information that could help many a daughter understand her Dad, and offers many a Dad some consolation that he is not alone, and that someone out there understands the separation pains he is going through as his most precious treasure begins to spread her wings and look elsewhere than the first man she ever loved. This is a tough time for many fathers, and mothers and daughters very often don't understand their erratic, paranoid and irrational behaviour. Father of The Bride explores this phenomenon with what was for me an amazingly accurate depiction of the emotional turmoil that goes on in the head of a man who cherishes his daughter's love and feels threatened and reduntant when another man enters the picture. Goodrich and Hackett have constructed it brilliantly, and Steve Martin expresses it perfectly in this most elegant of love stories. The movie takes some shortcuts - for most of us, the separation pains don't do us the courtesy of waiting till the engagement - they come much earlier than that, when out of the blue some stranger comes into our daughter's life. Martin demonstrates the pain and fear and anxiety that every daughter's Dad feels as some blow-in comes and lays a claim on his beloved child. A must for every Dad with a teen princess, and for the Mums and Daughters I strongly recommend that instead of just laughing and saying "hahahah - that's Dad all over", read between the lines to see just why Dad is the way he is. Loved it every time I've seen it (3 or 4 times now).
  • In today's Hollywood climate, there are very few movies that appeal to an entire family. Children want to see Hannah Montana, teens want Harry Potter and superheroes, while adults want very R-rated drama. Thus, it is refreshing to see a movie that can be classified as a solid family film, which Father of the Bride very much is.

While comedic in nature (how could it not be starring Steve Martin?!), this film is also a touching commentary on how families change (for better or worse) when marriages occur. Its blend of hilarious comedy and touching emotions will have you holding your sides one minute and reaching for the Kleenex box the next.

The real brilliance of this film, however, comes from the terrific acting. Martin's knack for physical comedy is spot-on as the often-flummoxed "Dear Old Dad", while Diane Keaton plays a great "straight 'man'" to Martin's wild antics. Even the then-fresh Kimberly Williams (before she became Mrs. Brad Paisley) is able to nail the emotions of a young bride being swept off her feet.

Overall, this is a great family film that offers something for everyone. Adults will be touched by the film's message, teens will identify with Williams' character, and even younger children will appreciate the physical comedy. If you are planning a wedding, just finished one, or are part of any sort of family structure whatsoever, you will love this film!
  • 1991 remake of the 1950 Spencer Tracy-Elizabeth Taylor sentimental comedy concerns harried family man trying to maintain control while planning his daughter's extravagant, expensive wedding. This story (having been kicked around forever on the stage) is updated in all the worst ways possible, with arms-flailing acting and hammy touches that reek of movie star goodwill gone overboard. Director Charles Shyer isn't a filmmaker (at least not here); he's a purveyor of feel-good sentiments that would fit just perfectly on television, perhaps in a Kodak commercial. Old-fashioned uplift is mixed broadly with slapstick shenanigans for a sticky result. In the lead, Steve Martin works his famous comic neuroses for all their worth, but some subtlety from him this time might've been welcomed. *1/2 from ****
  • 9/10 - 90s comedy classic is full of laughter and provides lots of quotable moments.
  • Peach-229 November 1998
    Father Of The Bride is a great wedding comedy. Steve Martin is terrific in this film. The direction is solid and the rest of the cast is very good. Other than Martin, the real standout is Martin Short. Short adapts a very strange accent and chews all the scenery in every scene that allows him a bit of leeway. I found this movie very entertaining.
  • i absolutely loved this movie,,very funny Martin Short, Bronson Pinchot , Steve Martin what more could you hope for,, the father,, George Banks finds out his little girl is getting married and proceeds to go off of the deep end, as i would to whenever mine gets married, he tries to cut corners . because it will cost 250 dollars a head for the wedding,, he meets his future son-in-law and very cautiously accepts him, there is lots and lots of comedy and slapstick in this one, especially the now infamous hot dog bun scene,, where he snapped, and lands himself in jail for causing a scene at the local grocery store,, i think they kinda overdid it just a little with putting in snow in L.A in winter,, because it never snows there anyway,, but all in all i really liked this movie, because it shows how a father feels when it' time to let go of his little girl.