User Reviews (114)

• I keep reading about how "sappy" and "predictable" this film is. This is true, so I will tell you now, if you hate those types of films then this is not the film for you.

But if you miss seeing movies that you waited for the happy ending you knew was coming, then you will not be disappointed. There are so many movies that don't end so happily nowadays, but remembering the times with movies that had a character who had to learn a lesson but got something more in the end (eg. "It's a Wonderful Life") I couldn't help but enjoy this movie.

I highly recommend it, the acting is fantastic, the story is touching, and knowing what it's like to go through hard times (my own dad had to go through some rehabilitation) then this movie hits it home. I suggest it if you agree with the points above, but it's not for everyone.
  • I am Harrison Ford Fan Especially since his Dr. Jack Ryan Days. I had first seen this movies in 97-98 on TV. At that time I'd probably have given like 3/10 or some such and called it a tear jerker.

But after doing my own 3 months in Hospital and 1 yr. in Rehabilitation, I saw it again on TV. This time it made a huge impact on me although I knew the story. Suddenly I was able to relate to Henry and his problems and frustrations, especially his love to live life Fully.

Not many people will agree with me. But I do wish to tell you that take his advice. You never know about Tomorrow.
  • sddavis6314 May 2008
    In a change of pace from his usual "action" type movies, Harrison Ford does a pretty good job here as Henry Turner - a high powered, selfish, self-absorbed, heartless, cold as ice (enough adjectives?) lawyer whose life revolves around work and who ignores both his wife and his young daughter for most of the time. Henry's life undergoes a major change as the result of a shooting, which resulted in massive brain damage. Coming out of his coma, Henry can't talk or walk and has no memory of anything or anyone. He really does start from scratch; a child in a man's body. Much of the movie is then taken up with watching Henry struggle to recover from his trauma.

OK - it's pretty predictable. Point given. (Having said that, I thought the movie might take an unexpected direction when Henry discovered the letters in his wife's dresser.) Predictable though it may be, however, it was still pretty well done I thought, and offers several tug at your heartstring sort of moments that are pretty good. Annette Bening was believable as Henry's wife Sarah, and I thought Mikki Allen did a pretty good job of capturing the essence of their young daughter Rachel - her fear, her confusion. It came across. In my opinion, though, stealing the show was Bill Nunn as Bradley, Henry's physiotherapist who helps him to rebuild a life that's very different from what he had, but is also far more fulfilling.

Ford, I thought, was better as the "new" Henry Turner - recovering from his trauma and turning into a new man. As the cold Henry at the beginning of the movie, he came across to me as almost too cold - a caricature of the heartless lawyer but not quite a believable character. That aside, I found this to be an enjoyable and interesting movie to watch, and the last scene at the school really did touch me. It's certainly not good enough to attain the level of a classic, but it is pretty good. 7/10
  • sambinder7 January 2018
    I have read the multiple low ratings given to this film by the likes of Ebart and others. My response is somewhat simple, but first I have to concede that I watch drama films not as documentaries. ALL fiction is contrived. So what?

What is special to me about this film is that Harrison Ford plays the character rather well. I am an emergency physician, and I know that a gun shot wound to the head, if survivable, is fraught with life changing effects. However, this is NOT the point of the movie.

To me, the point of the movie is to reflect on MY humanity (or lack thereof). By watching his character go through rehab and, ultimately, arrive at his own sense of what he wants to be, I feel vindicated, in my mind, because I have become the person who I want to be. It IS personal to me! Not my job, not any wealth, but the essence of who I am, stripped from all the material passions confronting this world we live in.

I have lived long enough to appreciate what is important to me. I am lucky enough to have discovered this quite long ago. Those who are unable to appreciate their own humanity AND humility are the truly poor among us.

Who among us wants our epitaph to read "He made a lot of money!"?
    Henry (Harrison Ford) is a terrific but dastardly lawyer. Defending a hospital for negligence against a poverty-stricken diabetic, Henry wins! Its not the first time the little folks have gotten the shaft from Henry. He lives in a posh New York City apartment with his beautiful wife (Annette Bening) and sweet daughter. Yet, things are strained on the home front between the couple and money goes through their hands like water. However, one evening when Henry slips out to buy cigarettes at the shop around the corner, he is caught in a holdup and ends up getting shot. There is considerable brain damage and the doctors can not tell Henry's wife just what his future holds. Thus begins a lengthy rehabilitation for the once-brilliant lawyer that includes learning to speak and write all over again. He makes great strides with the help of a very caring therapist. Most importantly, Henry changes from a person with a very dark demeanor to one who is almost innocent in his view of the world. Still, many secrets remain, mostly from Henry's past life at the law firm. Can Henry and his wife overcome their problems and stay together? This is a very nice movie with plenty of heartwarming scenes. Ford has never been better than he is here, for his role runs the gamut from despicable lawyer to a disabled man struggling to speak and relearn basic skills. Bening is also great as the wife who finds a way to fall in love with her husband all over again. The rest of the cast is also quite nice, especially the gentleman who plays Henry's therapist. Then, too, the sets, costumes, direction and production are very worthy. Still, the movie's themes are the most important aspects of the film, as the film questions the integrity of the law profession and also ponders whether the best part of a person is his heart or his brain. Regarding all of the films, sitting on the shelves of a video store, this one is something special. Don't delay in garnering a view for you and your partner soon.
  • First, I won't lie to you. I love Harrison Ford. That doesn't mean that I instantly love everything he does (*cough*SABRINA*cough*). That said, this film really shows him off and also deals with a very real topic.

Many people say this film is manipulative, but I don't see it, and I'm usually the first one to roll my eyes at something being overdone. The characters were believable, though Harrison Ford easily outshines the others. Playing someone with a disability is very, very difficult, yet he does it so flawlessly that you really believe that he is brain-damaged.

The plot: Harrison Ford, as Henry Turner, is a cutt-throat lawyer who seems to have lost sight of life. Yea, he's a total jerk, but this first segment is pretty crucial. This movie has a habit of bringing back seemingly unimportant things (for example, Henry's opinion of the table). However, one night after winning a case defending a hospital in a malpractice suit, Henry is off to buy cigarettes and winds up being shot by a panicked robber at the convenience store (The robber is played by John Leguizamo, by the way-probably jealous that Ford is a much better actor). The bullets hit Henry in the head and he is brain-damaged. Now, he must slowly start his life over again, trying to re-learn speech, tying shoes, and remembering who he used to be. Of course, once he learns what an a**hole he used to be and the rotten people he was associated with, he is forced to make some choices about his life.

There are some really great scenes in here. In particular, the entire mystery of why Henry remembers the word "Ritz" actually plays a major role in the film. Annette Bening is good as the wife who is trying to help her husband regain his own life and aquainting herself with the new Henry. It cannot be stressed enough how stellar Ford's performance is. Even if you hate the script, you'll have to admit that he is completely convincing as Henry. This role is a real change for someone well-known for playing Han Solo and Indiana Jones.

This movie is definetly worth a rental, if just for seeing Harrison Ford's Oscar-worthy acting job.
  • Roger Ebert wasn't particularily fond of "Regarding Henry," because it is contrived, predictable, and sitcom-ish. And in retrospect, he's right on all accounts. But being a sucker for Harrison Ford, I had to watch Henry and I did like the movie, despite some obvious parts where scenes seem to be...well, missing. We do realize fairly quickly that this is going to be one of those "The Grinch Who Stole Christmas" tales: the big, bad, dishonest lawyer who is turned into a new man. Albeit, Ford has a rough road to that reformation, via head injuries, a coma, physical therapy, etc, but we can see it coming a mile in advance. However, "Henry" boasts some touching moments, at least for me. When Henry begins therapy, the therapist asks the once-prominent lawyer to pick out the triangle from among some blocks. Although we don't see Henry's choice, we hear the therapist's encouraging voice: "Close. I'll give you a hint, that's not it." At that moment I couldn't help but wonder how desperate a situation it would be if someone I loved was there, struggling among rectangles and circles. Annette Bening and Ford are both intelligent actors who succeed in their roles, however underwritten they may be. But I wondered how probable certain situations were: Would Henry automatically love his wife because he's supposed to? What about their money problems?? Too many unanswered questions, but still worth a spin.
  • Regarding Henry is about a man who projects a cold, emotional shell and seems as if he cares nothing for anyone but himself, full of malice that seems like simple inconsideration, a self-centered cockiness, and an extreme difficulty with allowing mutual understanding amongst those close to him, especially his uneasy wife and unhappy daughter. When he is shot incidentally in a robbery, because his emotional shell drops for no one, not even an armed thug in a convenience store, he recovers over the course of a few months, with serious brain injury, reverting him to an almost childlike state, thus a primal, basic form of himself, and a truly sensitive, caring person emerges, completely naive to the value system of his former self. His barefaced heart wrenched by all the decisions and actions he made leading up to the incident, he intends to fix them.

This is a wonderful premise and even more truthful and honest about the human condition that one may think, but to be honest, it is plagued by an almost unbearable lightness. A story this emotionally stimulating needs weight, further development, a script untouched by formula, and all these needs were fulfilled, the film would be yet even more fulfilling and the moral of the film would be less obvious and more provoking of insight and thought. I think it's a good movie, and tears will be shed, but in its requirements that had to be reached for fear of mainstream rejection or misunderstanding, not enough tears were should and it is left in a condition where its full potential is not reached.

Just as Mike Nichols, in the midpoint of his career around this film's time of release, began giving his films less atmosphere, less edge, less intensity (which would later return with films like Primary Colors and Closer), Harrison Ford's performances are normally quite stilted, even if he tends to be in very enjoyable movies, many of them classics. In Regarding Henry, he delivers one of his very finest, really feeling his character deeply and expressing emotion very realistically and compassionately.
  • ...at the horrible ratings this film is getting.

How can anyone not see & savor the multiple emotional trips upon which this film takes the viewer.

From the lead male, to the lead female, the young girl - even the dog - the story steers viewers throughout the scope of humanity. Supporting cast are well-selected.

If you're looking for Han or Indy, move on, for you'll be seeing a side of Harrison Ford not duplicated. Open your heart and mind, and embrace a lovely yet provocative film.
    This story focuses on hot shot lawyer Henry Turner (Harrison Ford) and the after effects on his life following a shooting which resulted in him suffering brain damage, loss of speech and loss of mobility.

I suspect that there are some people who may find this concept hard to swallow and on the face of it the premise is a tough sell; Before the shooting, Turner is an arrogant, rude, and seemingly uncaring individual - a man who is more interested in his career than his family (which seems to be a cliché with most lawyers). Then when he awakes from his coma and regains his ability to speak he suddenly seems to be a completely different person. This, on the surface, may seem like a contrivance, but personally I was prepared to buy it. We learn that Turner's memory & brain have been severely affected by the shooting - it then appears that Turner has just awoken as a new person. I don't believe that to be the case, I believe that Turner sees life in a new light and I believe that Bradley was a major contributory factor in all of this - Turner sees people doing good deeds and being kind to one another. Although his memory loss will have meant that he forgot about who he used to be, I still believe that his rehabilitation was the biggest contributory factor in improving him as a person. It probably also helps that he's away from a lot of his sleazy lawyer friends - there's no-one around to corrupt him.

Ford's performance is another big factor in making the film work and his transition from arrogant slimy lawyer to mild mannered & gentle family man was just effortless. Likewise, the supporting cast were also excellent - it was also a bonus that Turner's daughter wasn't annoying as well.

I think the most touching aspect of this film was Turner's relationship with his daughter (post shooting). He actually became more like a friend than a father. This is probably because his brain was probably at a similar stage of maturity to his daughters following his recovery. It was so nice to see him build a relationship with his family that probably never existed before.

As well as being compelling as a drama the film also has many light hearted moments (many of the scenes between Bradley and Turner were absolute gems).

I did have one or two very minor issues with this film; 1) I found it hard to believe that Turner's employers would allow him to return to work when he quite clearly wasn't ready to go back to work 2) It would have been nice to see the scumbag that shot him be brought to justice. Again, nothing major - just minor niggles more than anything.

I really liked this film and thought it was a heart-warming, touching film that was thoroughly enjoyable from start to finish. It's not a film that warrants multiple viewings, but it's certainly something I'd watch again.
    I've always wondered why this film wasn't very well liked. Maybe it's not upbeat enough or grandiose enough in scope. Henry doesn't bring down his former law firm and he doesn't recover fully (and you don't know that he will). However, it's a testament to Harrison Ford's normally under utilized ability as an actor. He essentially plays two roles (bad Henry at first and recuperating good Henry after the shooting). Seeing Henry discover his family and, in the process, give up his former life as a lawyer is heartening and done in a realistic manner. This movie shows us how easy it is to lose track of what is really important in our lives and should impress on the viewer that it should NOT take a bullet in the head to make us realize that. I think it's main problem is that it does not use anymore than a quiet kind of power to make its' points but that, I think, is part of the appeal of the film.
  • This is one of the best movies I have ever seen.

I highly commend Harrison Ford for playing the lead role & sending quality messages to the public through film, which has become the leading form of world-view communication. Family & the importance of remaining faithful to your spouse is portrayed in a wonderful, positive way. It also sends the message that lying is wrong--which it is--& a true friend doesn't gossip behind your back. Throughout the movie, Harrison Ford's performance remains consistent & gripping, & frequently comical--as in the scene in the library & at the breakfast table. The only problem I found with this film was the soundtrack--WOW. However distracting the music, Regarding Henry deserves to watched over & over again.
  • Regarding Henry is one of my favorite movies. My dad suggested I watch it because he also loves it. I caught on one of the movie channels, then ended up going out and buying the DVD because I thought it was so great. Henry is a hard working lawyer at the top of his career. His whole life is about work and social status. Then, something happens that changes everything and he must decide who he wants to be after all. The movie has a very simple, but meaningful message about what's really important in life. It's presented in a dramatic way with comical moments thrown in, just as life really plays out. Harrison Ford and Annette Bening are excellent as usual, but the real standouts for me were Bill Nunn and Mikki Allen. Bill Nun plays Bradley, an amazingly fun and enjoyable physical therapist. Mikki Allen plays the daughter, Rachel, in a performance way beyond her years that Was just unbelievable. I highly recommend this if you're looking to be inspired or just need a pick-me-up when you're down.
  • This film is about a guy who is a bit of a prick, he does not seem to get along all that well with his wife and he is not exactly all that warm and cuddly to his daughter. He goes out one night to buy some cigarettes and ends up in the middle of a hold up and ends up getting shot in the head and I think shoulder. He ends up with brain damage and must now learn how to do simple things all over again. He gets some help from a very charismatic health care worker who helps him walk and talk once again. Henry (the name of Harrison Ford's character) is a bit hesitant in going home and living with a wife and daughter he has very little recollection in, however, he does so and they are in for a treat as Henry is now seemingly a more loving and caring person than he was before. Nice story, not all drama as there is quite a lot of humor in this one too. I like it when he somehow finds his way into an adult movie theater. He also has troubles adjusting back to his old job where he was a rather ruthless attorney, as he keeps finding things that he left out that could have helped the other side. I enjoyed the story and I enjoyed the transformation of old Henry to new Henry. He learns about the old him throughout the movie and he finds he does not really care for who he was either. A nice trip of self-discovery.
    I know this movie was not a big hit when it came out but it is really a good film. Harrison Ford is great as one of his most likable characters that I have seen him portray. Henry, a corrupt lawyer who withholds evidence when his client is obviously guilty and a womanizer is seriously injured in a robbery. When he comes to, he has lost his memory and has to be re-taught just about everything. His teacher is a very virtuous man, who teaches Henry to enjoy the good things in life (Henry loves most of all Ritz crackers). Thus the mean, cheating Henry who forced his daughter to remain at a boarding school that she hates, is suddenly transformed into a kind man who cares about everybody's feelings. Eventually, he figures out that the Henry he once was a horrible person and he hopes never to go back to that life. Annette Benning is great and beautiful as the wife that had an uncaring husband who all of a sudden loves her more than anything. She has to decide if she is ready to leave the life they led with other uncaring and obnoxious friends. Priceless scenes, especially those involving Henry and his secretary!
  • mpmjames7822 April 2019
    Had me in tears!! Amazing! I havent felt this connected to a movie in a very long time. I would highly recommend, it gives so much hope to putting family before working your self into misery.
  • Along with Lorenzo's Oil, My Life and First Sight, Regarding Henry is one of my favorite movies with a medical theme. In all of these films, the ill person triumphs in one way or another, and in Regarding Henry, a sense of ethics and restructuring of Henry's values takes place after his is critically wounded by a gun. Personality changes, whether complete or partial, often happen after severe trauma, and sometimes, it is for-the-better.

Harrison Ford is not my favorite actor, but he does a respectable job in Regarding Henry, playing the part of a man in rehabilitation. Stanley Swerdlow does a great job as a physical therapist.

My only concern about the movie is that I wish Henry's wife, Sarah (played by Annette Bening) had somehow or in her own ways paralleled Henry's evolutionary change-of-heart during the recuperation process.

This would have explained just why a person who married a high-power corporate attorney (and who had steeled her heart enough to send her only child away to a snooty boarding school against her wishes) was perfectly fine with staying married to a brain-damaged, partially disabled man. I just found that that aspect of the movie deserved some treatment and fleshing-out.
    Most of you have seen the film by now considering its age, so you know the conclusion from the complicated-and-warmly-evolving Aristotelian premises. But who'd expect a small, young waggely hound playing his dutiful roll (also via the protagonist's dog-bereft-and-emotionally-distant daughter, his wife Annette Bening, and a magic-man of remedial therapy played brilliantly by Bill Nunn), in this concentrated review of the shot-brain-recovery of a worldly-corrupted attorney, to help slowly regain his sense of priorities in life? And, to ultimately make apologies to his former and bereft clients? On an nsupervised 'outing', while he's still in recovery at home, former high-class lawyer, Henry Turner (Harrison Ford), finds himself at a New York pet-shop with a doggie-in-the-window ('how much' doesn't matter). Something 'cognitive' (a remote memory) suddenly occurs - and he brings the young hound home with assistance from searching friends and the hotel doorman at the 'Ritz'-Carlton' - where he lives but cannot remember the way home as a virtual 12 year-old. Healing now really begins. Although 'Buddy's' screen-time is limited by Mike Nichols the director, it's perfectly installed in several memorable moments - especially in the end where Buddy joins the family walking down the steps of Henry's rehab center after his release in a jumping, yelping 'I wanna be part of the family too!' kind-of-scene. I don't know about you, but I was fortunate enough to be part of a doggie's life every single day for 17 years, 9 months - right at the front door and every place else in my home and around town. I also needed healing - and my doggie? Well, she was the one. Right up to 11-22-11.
    The comments I've read on this motion picture, which I think is Harrison Ford's best, indicate that many viewers are expecting the swashbuckling character Ford initiated in "Star Wars" and built through successive roles. He's good at that.

But this role is different. Some reviewers have suggested that the story treatment of the the character's — lawyer Henry Turner — recovery from a head gunshot wound is trivialized because the character (Turner) doesn't spend a lot of time bewailing the pain and inability to return immediately to his normal pastimes.

These points — that he doesn't cry and curse his injury — are exactly what give the film its realism and impact. He doesn't know it as it happens, but he is experiencing a new birth through his recovery. Both my wife and I have to some extent — she to greater extent than I because her trauma was far worse — have gone through some sort recovery from brain injuries. If you spend a lot of time weeping and wailing (oh woe is me, is me, is me) you will never recover and will be tucked into the earth still weeping.

Henry is injured and doesn't realize the extent of his hurts because he cannot know what went on before his traumatic memory loss. Does he change somehow? Sure, all life is change. Does he recover? All I can really suggest is to some extent — very great extent — this film rings true. For what it's worth, my wife and I watch it every year on the approximate anniversary of her injury.
  • Time hasn't been kind to "Regarding Henry" I remembered it like pleasant enough bit of sentimental tripe. But now, 19 years later is truly an embarrassing movie for everyone concerned. Every common place in place, every line of predictable dialogue could be anticipated by a 7 year old. The characters, if you can call them that, are a walking cliché. As if this was not enough, Harrisson Ford, mugging his way through it. A truly epidermic performance as phony as anything I've ever seen him do. The strange thing is that Mike Nichols , one of my heroes, has always been so spot on in the casting department. Wonderful performances in all of his movies, so, how can anyone explain to me this, scholastic performance by Harrison Ford. His scenes with his physical therapist, a good natured, African American, made me cringe. Everything so premeditated an, I repeat, phony. The only one with a tinge of integrity is the girl playing Ford's daughter and out of respect for her I'm giving "Regarding Henry" a 2 not a 1. Phew!
  • One of those high-budget, yet relentlessly schlocky movie-star vehicles which both pander and condescend to a mass audience; the pedigree talent involved may well warrant a viewing, yet the film is so pompous it makes viewers feel like chumps for watching. Harrison Ford plays a slimy, self-absorbed lawyer whose life takes a drastic turn after he walks into a liquor store being robbed. Annette Bening plays Ford's spouse who helps her husband through a difficult period, and has a rebirth of her own. This is precisely the type of material director Mike Nichols would have thumbed his nose at twenty years ago; working here rather joylessly, Nichols wraps all the phony uplift in cinematic Saran Wrap. The self-deceit (and smugness) hanging over the film is like a gray pallor. *1/2 from ****
    This is one of my favorite movies. I identify with this movie. In my mid 30's I was diagnosed with an inoperable tumor. I had many surgeries, radiation therapy and survived my crisis. Like Henery's character, some things I had to learn over. Although not as quite as severe as the character Henry in the movie. I lost my sense of humor for several years. No matter how funny something was I remained silent for several years. Before my surgeries I had excellent grammar and spelling. After the surgeries I struggled to spell and complete sentences when writing. Just as the story in the movie shows you can re-learn, and recover. The movie is correct in showing things will more than likely not be the same, and it takes time to recover. The scene in the movie with the doctor as his wife as he describes a very slow recovery process is so true to real life. I love this movie because there are people that show you hope, and that they never stop believing in you like Henry's wife. Sadly there are also people who belittle you and find fault. The scene in the movie at the party where Henry is described as another child in the family is very true. To hear that from someone with a disability is very emotional downfall. The best thing about this movie is that it starts with showing Henry as a defense attorney who stops at nothing to win a case. This is the kind of guy we all love to hate. Then at the end of the movie he is very likable average Joe anyone would enjoy having a conversation with.
  • Movie viewers searching for a break away from the traditional shallow and sleazy action in movies would find Regarding Henry to be not only inspirational, but also biblical in its approach: leaning towards a theme equivalent to what the bible teaches about a man profiting much but at the risk of losing his soul. Some may label this film to be shallow and predictable and according to "film industry standards," this observation may very well be valid; however, movie watchers like me look for a deeper meaning in movies where the main character is brought from pride to humility. Always trying to be politically correct by evaluating movies according the requirements of their genre can often times rob the deeper meaning to movies such as Regarding Henry. It may very well seem obvious and typical that a movie director would not allow his main character to remain in such a feeble state such as Harrison Ford, the main character in this movie, found himself to be in. But not only did Mike Nichols, the director, not leave Henry in such a state, he made this character to embrace a new life in such a way that his audience could reflect on their own life and reconsider that family, character, integrity, and being an honest human being are some of the most important aspects of life.
    'Regarding Henry' truly makes one wonder what ever happened to Mike Nichols. Once so very observant of adult conduct, he now sadly portrays the adult world as either an 8 year old might misunderstand it - or as P.T. Barnum might expect the suckers in the movie audience to grasp it.

We see little of the character Henry Turner at the beginning of the movie. We do see him:

a) succeed in his defense of several doctors, nurses and a hospital in a malpractice case;

b) upset that a completely mistaken (and hideous) dining room table had been delivered, and calling to insist the table he ordered by delivered within a few days for his large dinner party (seating 60);

c) lecture his daughter because she defied his instructions by taking from the kitchen and spilling, grape juice over a presumably expensive piano - he refrains from any physical punishment but grounds her for a single evening;

d) not wish to attend a party at which he forgets whether the hostess's name is Julia or Juliet, and makes a joke about the difficulty of conversing with out of town relatives and his advice for others in a similar predicament: take the relatives on a trip to the Statue of Liberty.

From this, we are to somehow gather that the man is a monster. Well, sorry, but I wasn't convinced at ALL!

When he later returns as a simpleton, I find him unsympathetic.

E.g. he outrageously steals a document of his client hospital from his firm's files (a document inconsistent with the presumed testimony of his nine defendants) to deliver to the plaintiff in the malpractice case. We are meant to cheer.

Since the plaintiff presumably didn't ask for the document in discovery, my thought was that Mr. Turner should now be disbarred for misappropriating the document and deliberately aiding his adversary!

Might the document have been already delivered to the adversary and discredited at trial? Might the document have been admitted in evidence but disbelieved (in the face of contrary testimony) by the jury? Might the document have been mistaken? (Presumably the author was placed on the witness stand herself). Might the document have been forged?

The movie has no time for any questions -it prefers "why, we were morally wrong because it states something at variance with the defense". The movie is THAT idiotic.

E.g., when the new Mr. Turner is hurt that his daughter cannot be pulled from her class at prep school in order to speak to him because his phone call is not an emergency, we are meant to cheer when he later pulls his daughter from the school. You see, a school that says he should call in the evening when the daughter is free, is a school to which only the heartless would send their child. (We don't see the grim alternative New York City public school to which he may now be required to send his child).

**** SPOILERS ****

E.g., when we learn that he and his wife were each involved in an affair, we are meant somehow to think that this was related to his work - or to his previous affluence. Why? I'm unaware that the rich cheat on spouses more often than the poor.

**** END OF SPOILERS ****

E.g., when we see the lascivious physical therapist roll his eyes, his head and his tongue in speaking loudly of the appearance of each woman who passes, repeatedly saying "gotta get me some of THAT", and teaching these words to his patient just learning to speak, we are somehow not meant to recoil in sympathy for the demeaned women. Somehow this overly familiar physical therapist (to whom Turner is "Henry" from the first moment and who believes that addressing him as a child is therapeutic) is not a raunchy low-life but a heartwarming friend.

I hated the movie.

However, Harrison Ford's portrayal of the character is wonderful from start to finish. At the beginning, one truly believes that this is a successful lawyer. Later, one truly believes that this is a man who is struggling to move, to speak, to read. His portrayal is as fine as Tom Hanks' portrayal of Forest Gump.

Donald Moffat is fine as the senior partner of the firm, as is Annette Benning in a thankless "disease of the week" role as nurturing wife and mother. Unfortunately, the morose and passive daughter is written so badly that the young actress has little to play.

I had thought of recommending this movie for children under ten (its presumed real audience), but in truth, it would only convey ideas that are so moronic and prejudicial, that it's not a good idea.

"The Doctor" has a similar theme - but is far superior.
  • echuck25 August 2000
    Story was relatively boring. Directing was definitely boring. Some of the dialogue was a little too predictable.

The one clever item was the deal with "Ritz" and trying to figure out for a moment how someone found Henry after he took off by himself. (I won't write a spoiler.)

This movie is _not_ worth the two hours spent on it.