User Reviews (166)

• It may have started life as a hopeful spin-off from 'Cheers', but right from the very first episodes, 'Frasier' proved that it had enough style and substance of its own to become a TV legend. Granted, it went on for a couple of seasons too many, and toward the end was clearly starting to suffer from a lack of fresh ideas, but for the most part this was a hilarious, insightful and often very moving programme that my Friday nights throughout the late 90s just wouldn't have been complete without. After so many years of viewing, Frasier, Niles, Martin, Daphne, Roz and Eddie feel like more than just TV characters - they're like your very own neighbours, or even great friends.

Indeed, 'Frasier' worked so well throughout most of its run not just because of the sharp, intelligent scripting, but also due to the sheer depth of its central characters and the ongoing focus on their relationships with each other. The characterisation here was always so rich and meaningful, taking us right from Dr Frasier Crane himself, the highbrow, slightly arrogant but good-natured radio shrink, to his more laidback everyman father Martin (a retired police officer now living with his son), and prissy younger brother Niles, a fellow psychiatrist who fits two slots as both Frasier's best friend and his mortal enemy! A lot of the episodes revolved around their family troubles and clashes of interest, but were handled in a very meticulous way, and the morals always felt smooth and genuine. Though rarely quite able to see eye-to-eye with each other, you got a good sense over the course of the series that the Crane men were gradually learning to bond and grow closer together, in spite of their differences. And that's one of the aspects of 'Frasier' that roped me in head and shoulders above its other contemporary sitcoms - it was never afraid to mix heart and poignancy with its laugh-out-loud hilarity. Episodes like 'Martin does it his way', 'Our Father whose Art Ain't in Heaven' and 'Roz's Krantz and Gouldenstein are Dead' are classic examples.

Daphne Moon, Martin's amiable English physiotherapist, and Roz Doyle, Frasier's sassy producer, were also great characters who added their own unique streaks of humour and personality to the format. Even Maris, a personage who was never seen but talked about at many an ingenious moment, managed to make her mark - it's to the credit of those wily scriptwriters that they could always have you feeling her presence solely on the word-of-mouth of other characters. On the side, any episode featuring Bebe, Frasier's positively demonic agent, can almost guarantee a laugh-riot - she was utterly hilarious, and there was never another semi-regular character quite like her.

In terms of acting quality, the central cast was always strong, particularly Kelsey Grammar, at his utmost prime not just in fulfilling the role of our protagonist, but also in singing 'Tossed Salad and Scrambled Eggs' over the end-credits of every episode (who knew what those words were supposed to mean, but it was a great theme song! I still catch myself humming it from time to time).

I'll also come clean with my unswerving admiration for Moose, the canine performer who rounded off the Crane household in the role of Eddie, Martin's Jack Russell, for most of the series (before retiring and being replaced by his offspring Enzo for the final fifth). Seriously, he's got to be the most talented animal actor since that cat who played Tao in 'The Incredible Journey'. Those various antics of his amounted to a lot more than just a few dumb pet tricks to secure easy "aww" reactions from the audience - Eddie had easily as much personality as any of the human ensemble, a subtle and canny little dog who's good at getting what he wants and working his way round the no-nonsense Frasier.

As you've probably guessed by now, I loved this show and its cast of characters dearly, and was sorry to see it go in 2004, but at the same time I was pretty much aware that it had run its course. They were starting to rehash older concepts, like Frasier losing Martin's chair, which is always a bad sign. Also, too many OTT British accents from non-British guest actors had a few of us clenching our teeth this side of the Atlantic (Anthony LaPaglia, I'm looking mainly in your direction here!). But I digress, because the general history of this sitcom was just fantastic. Even if the latter-day episodes were a little weaker than the previous instalments, it's the truly great material that, in the end, really stays with you. And throughout the years there was so, so much of it.

Mark my words - this show is all set in time to go down as the classic US sitcom of the 90s. 'Friends' may have gotten the greater media coverage when it left its own building in the same year, but 'Frasier' will always be the superior show.

Grade: A
  • I love this TV show, and I try to watch it as much as possible! The humor is intelligent unlike some TV shows that have humor that is stupid and immature and predictable. You just have to laugh at all the situations that Niles and Frasier get into that could have been prevented in the first place if they weren't so concerned with appearances, hence the episode when they wanted to see that actor's final stage performance but couldn't because they would not get cancellation tickets! Jane Leeves' Daphne Moon is a wonderful character; she tries to offer words of advice to the Crane family that are sadly ignored most of the time. Martin is funny as the dad who is clueless as to reasons why his sons won't embrace the ordinary life(and I want a chair as comfy as his). I like how Kelsey Grammer and David Hyde Pierce showcase their musical talents on the show(and I can tell that isn't fake piano playing) quite often.

Roz is delicious, and you have to laugh at her dysfunctionally romantic life. I enjoy watching Bebe Glazer when she comes on, Lilith is a roll-over when she makes her presence, and of course, Bulldog and his stupid and immature attitude. Watch this show! You'll get a good laugh!
  • Simply one of the best sitcoms on tv ever! This series has a very good cast and script writers. I recommend this to everyone who likes intelligent comedies. Many of the sitcoms on tv are poor but this one really shines. Saturday nights wouldn´t be Saturday nights without it.
  • Rather like Friends and Seinfeld, Frasier is one of those sitcoms of the 90's with mass appeal. While it probably isn't as internationally famous as "Friends" it is every bit as good as it. Over the years, "Frasier" has remained a consistently entertaining and ultimately satisfying sitcom. It always has fresh, witty material and hopefully will continue for another few years. The cast all work perfectly together, the overall effect is very good. "Frasier" is one of the best sitcoms on television today.
  • When I first immigrated to Canada I was living in a bachelor apartment which was too small for...well everything. The only entertainment I had was my little TV (small TV for a small apt). This show literally saved me from killing myself. If it wasn't for this show, I would have probably jumped out the balcony or something. Every time I came home in the evening from a fruitless job search, I would turn on the TV and started watching Frasier 2-3 hours straight. And all the situations portrayed in the show with an optimistic look on life really helped me a lot. Frasier became my TV psychologist.

This is an awesome show with very intelligent dialogs and conversations. The show begins with Frasier moving to Seattle from Boston (this character is originally from Cheers). He takes a job at a radio station as a radio psychologist. He is over-intellectual, over-refined, witty, sarcastic and a little snobby..but in a delightful way. However, he is still awkward with women, sometimes with his relation with his father and others. After all, he is a human being too. His brother Niles Crane is just like his older brother (maybe a higher IQ, was it 4 points higher??), only more neurotic and probably more insecure with women. Niles character was initially meant to be just a secondary character but as the show developed, his character became very essential. The situations that arise from his untold love for Daphne (Martin/Frasier's father's physical therapist) are just hilarious. Roz Doyle, Frasier's producer, is another important character who loves men just a little too much. But she is more complicated than just a simple fool-for-men character (wonderfully portrayed by Peri Gilpin). Martin Crane is probably the most rational, most practical of all and it is a wonder how Frasier and Niles fell so far away from the tree in that department. Daphne Moon, love object of Niles Crane, is a delightful young woman from Manchester, UK who lives in the same house and is practically a member of the Crane family. Although just a dog, Eddie is a very important part of the show. Eddie is so lovable and probably the best company of Martin Crane. There are so many other notable characters, such as Bulldog (a womanizer with sports-dude attitude), Maris, Niles' wife, who doesn't appear in the show at all but the jokes about her are enough to count her in as an essential character, and Frasier's ex-wife and son.

Overall, Frasier is an unforgettable comedy sitcom that has been superbly successful for 10 years and received many awards. And if I am not mistaken, Kelsey Grammar (Frasier) has the record as the actor who portrayed the same character in TV series for more than 20 years (Cheers and Frasier). I own the entire DVD box-set collection and recommend it to everyone who enjoys intelligent comedy.
  • I was pleased to see the Crane boys rewarded at the Emmys in 2004; a fitting tribute to 11 years of highly entertaining TV, the like of which I personally will miss terribly.

Reading some of the comments on this site prompted me to write that the characters created are all based on the premise that the two experts on life are constantly frustrated by their own shortcomings and are guided, ignorantly, by the other characters, who demonstrate that their own interpretations on how to run their lives supercede the tertiary-educated brothers.

I will sorely miss the interactions between all members of the cast and the ability of the show to hit the nail fairly and squarely on the head, when it comes to addressing the vagaries of interfamilial relationships. If you don't get this, you never will and you will never see the funny side of life.

I look forward to Australia receiving the most recent episodes, as we are still watching reruns from about 1998! Lucky us!
  • shrek20044 July 2003
    This is a good show. Hilarious, in fact! I am sad to see it didn't get as much publicity as "Seinfeld" and "Friends" over the years, perhaps then it would have gotten a bigger fan base. This show's humour is refined and elegant, and it's always funny to see Frasier's ego grow.
  • I enjoy watching Seinfeld and Becker more than I enjoy watching Frasier, but Frasier leaves them both behind in genuine sitcom quality. The cast is brilliant and the writing is absolutely top-notch. The first 5 seasons was probably the best display of American sitcom of all time, if not international sitcom. Unfornunately the show ran out of steam in the final few series when the energy seemed to slip away from both the writing and acting.

Frasier is a real comedy lovers comedy. Even though it pokes fun at wine-loving snobs, it's upper-class feel may have kept some from experiencing the show. While it's not my all-time favourite show, Frasier is undoubtedly the most professional sitcom that I have ever seen.
  • ian95929 October 2006
    Whilst a good fan of "Cheers", I was somewhat surprised when it was announced that the Frasier character was getting s spin-off series. I did not see how this was going to work and had rather low expectations for both the show and how long it would last. A decade later and "Frasier" turned out to be simply the best TV sitcom ever made. Virtually unique in concept and presentation, there has been hardly a dud episode in the show and the cast has proved to be one of the best ever assembled for any TV show, certainly in the United States. I doubt that this show will ever be surpassed on mainstream US TV and it would be hard to imagine life without "Frasier" either on TV or on DVD. Repeated viewings remain as enjoyable as the first time viewing on TV. Simply the very best.
  • This is one of the funniest shows on tv. Kelsey, David and the rest work so well together and are very funny. No wonder it's won the emmy for best comedy all those years in a row. I can't believe Ally McBeal beat it out this year. I don't think that show is half as funny as Frasier. What makes it even better is that the show has Peri Gilpin who is the daughter of the great Jim O'Brien who was a newscaster/weatherman for Philly news. I see where she gets her talent! Anyway Frasier is a great show that anyone would enjoy!
  • In a nutshell, the best TV comedy ever. Seriously. Here's why.

CHARACTERS: Dr. Frasier Crane and his brother, Dr. Niles Crane, are a couple of annoyingly (and hilariously) highbrow, snobby psychiatrists. They are both out of touch with the regular Joes and Janes and hide their insecurity behind the well-educated, well-read façade. Or, you can call them hopelessly geeky. Their father, Martin, is a down-to-earth retired policeman who, like many older men his age, has trouble expressing his affection and emotions but has plenty to say when it comes to his sons' shortcomings. Oh, by the way, he and his dog, Eddie, move in with Frasier by the end of the first episode. Daphne Moon is Marty's live-in physical therapist who is a "bit psychic." Niles is married to an heiress but gets infatuated the moment he lays his eyes on Daphne. In addition to this dysfunctional family, that sure could use some psychiatric help, there are Frasier's colleagues at KACL radio. Roz Doyle has street smarts, and her love life can make Don Juan/Giovanni proud! Bulldog is rude, crude and loves humiliating Frasier. Gil Chesterton… Well, is he, or isn't he….?

ACTORS: Individually and as a whole, the cast is impeccable. The chemistry among the actors and the characters is real. I read it somewhere that, when Kelsey Grammar's substance abuse became apparent during the show's eleven-year run, the rest of the cast paid a visit to his residence one night as concerned friends, not to confront him but to urge him to seek help. These actors are mostly middle-aged stage or film veterans. They may not be young sex kittens or stud muffins, but their acting skills make up for their average looks and then some.

SCRIPTS: No praise seems good enough for Frasier's scripts and the writers. Who needs a pretty face when the scripts are so crisp, sharp, witty, intelligent and often naughty. Retorts and double-entendres between Frasier and Niles come at you so fast, so often. They constantly refer to literature, performing arts, history, mythology, gourmet dining, what have you, so you may not have the slightest idea what the heck they are talking about at one point or another but still be able to laugh. Good scripts do that to you.

EDDIE: Okay, it's Eddie played by Moose. Jack Russells are known for their intelligence, but Moose must have been an exceptionally bright pup. Among the cast, he was the one with good looks and brains. Towards the end of the series, Moose's son, Enzo, replaced him, but it wasn't the same without Moose.

CALLERS: You wouldn't believe how many famous film actors rendered their voices as callers at the KACL station. Christopher Reeves, Linda Hamilton, Matthew Broderick, John Cusack… The list goes on. If you write well, they will come.

TITLES: For those who are not familiar with Frasier, each scene in every episode has a short title shown briefly on the black background. You can find jokes anywhere you look while watching Frasier. For movie buffs, there are such titles as 'My Coffee with Niles," "Three Days of the Condo," "Out and In," "A Room with Four Views (with a Rashomonesque story--only funnier)" and "To Kill a Talking Bird" for starters. Since I'm a Mozart fan, I have to mention "Cosi Fan Tushy" as well.

END CREDIT: After each episode, the audience gets to enjoy watching a short video clip during the credit roll at the end. There are no dialogues, but the video clip is an extension of the episode you just saw, so there's no need for dialogues. When you watch Frasier, it ain't over until the final fade-to-black.

BONUS: Frasier and Niles' favorite meeting place is called Café Nervosa! Details, details, details.

EXTRA BONUS: In the last episode of Season 5, the owner of KACL decides to change the station format to all-salsa, and the staff, including Frasier, subsequently lose their jobs. During the last credit roll where Frasier is seen carrying his personal effects in the background as a new Latino DJ occupies Frasier's booth, we hear salsa music. But pay close attention to the lyric of the music--it's the Spanish translation of the little ditty Frasier/ Kelsey Grammar sings at the end of each episode!
    **WARNING! A Small Spoiler follows** Like many others, I am a new "Fraiser" fan thanks to the local TV stations showing its reruns (twice daily where I'm from!). Most of the time they air the reruns chronologically, year by year, which is what helped me understand the ongoing plot developments and growth of the characters as well as their mutual relationships. When you see the early shows it is amazing how one-dimensional and "flat" some of the characters used to be. Daphne, for example, began as comic relief--someone to make fun of with her psychic flashes, family anecdotes, and unusual British speech and habits. Niles was a lot more snobby, self-centered, and even somewhat cruel and nasty. Both of these characters evolved dramatically and have become (for several years now), fully developed and fully dimensional "people" whom you can identify with despite their little eccentricities. Their romance over the years has been frustrating, embarrassing, tender, emotional, and yes, satisfying. I feel that one of their most tender and romantic scenes was the duet in "First Date"--although, yes, "Moondance" absolutely swept me off my feet, emotionally speaking. But, in "First Date" there is an innocence and purity that is definitely absent in "Moondance"--especially when you consider that Daphne admits to acting her part in "Moondance". In "First Date" she is being sincere and open with her feelings, spontaneity, and reactions. On yes, "Daphne Hates Sherry" definitely wins for the sexiest scene between them, hands down!

My favorite character is Niles, because I feel that he is the funniest of all of them. Also, David Hyde Pierce's gift for physical comedy--anywhere from minor facial expressions to a huge pratfall--remind me of "I Love Lucy." Recall "Three Valentines" a fantastic piece of silent, physical comedy that I have never seen before or since, especially on TV sitcoms. "Frasier" takes chances and mixes things up wonderfully. There was an Valentine's episode a few years ago that was a la "Sliding Doors" that was unbelievably fantastic!! My favorites by far are the situation episodes: "The Two Mrs. Cranes", "The Ski Lodge"--#1 for me, "Merry Christmas, Mrs. Moskowitz", the one where Martin pretends to be gay, "The Innkeepers", "The Seal that Came to Dinner", etc.

Although Niles is my favorite character, the heart of "Frasier" is Dr. Frasier Crane, whom despite his failures and shortcomings, is really everyman in his frustrations, hopes, dreams, and failures to "fit in" with the beautiful people and popular opinion. Kelsey Grammer portrays him so human and touching that you truly sympathize and feel his triumphs, pain, embarrassments, warmth, lovingness, and failures.

A great show!! The BEST on TV presently, and in the past, one of the top 5 of all time!!! Thanks for the reruns!!
  • This show is simply fantastic in all ways! The stories are incredible, the cast is one of the most amazing ever in a sitcom and, the only bad thing among this are the voices that call Frasier a bad series! At least, they have the trouble to write critics... guess it means they care in a way! Strange, no? Anyway, my only wish is that the DVD get to Europe soon so i can remember everytime i want this masterpiece! 10/10 - Smart, funny, see it!
  • beresfordjd28 January 2011
    Isn't it refreshing for a TV sitcom not to talk down to its audience but to credit the viewer with some intelligence? Frasier is just about the best written sitcom of all time in my opinion. The performances of even the smallest of characters are always of the highest standard. I have watched Frasier episodes over and over again through the years and always find something fresh in them. Whether it is a line I missed or some small physical movement there is always something to savour and to make me laugh again. I know most of the lines off by heart now, but the delivery of those lines is so perfect that I laugh often more than the first time. How Seinfeld got all the plaudits escapes me when Frasier is far superior in every respect. The writers, cast and crew must be so proud of their achievement in bringing this superlative piece of work to the screen.It is sadly missed - though still to be seen in daytime reruns.And I do watch it over and over. Even the episodes I think were not up to scratch bear watching again and are always better than I remember them. I bought the entire series in a boxed set but have never watched it because ti still appears on British TV. If you do not find it funny you have no sense of humour. Genius writers and superlative performances make this unmissable.
  • Mainly it is a great show thanks to the cast. Everyone in the show does a good job. The thing that has made the show work from the beginning is the interplay between the characters. The two brothers, Niles and Frasier who are opera loving cultured type people, and their dad the sports loving everyman is great. Also, I can sort of relate to some of the characters as well. I am a sports fan who doesn't go into all that fancy stuff, but like Frasier I have trouble with women. The show rarely has episodes I don't care for, and I usually get a good laugh during every show. I have taped almost every episode from TV as well. Hopefully, this show will keep going for a long time, but I am afraid it is nearing the end.
  • What can I add to the many positive reviews here of the Frasier series? I would watch "Cheers" if I happened to be at home when it was shown, but it was never a priority in my life, although I did think it was among the best TV sitcoms.

However, since being introduced to Frasier a decade ago I find it still, after many many viewings, a "must see".

One of the most interesting aspects of the series is watching the way the writers and actors round out the characters. The very first episodes, where Frasier and Niles argue about who is to get the booby prize and therefore have Martin move in, are amusing. Martin himself starts out as a really cantankerous man, Daphne is introduced as a whacky Mancunian (but without a genuine Mancunian accent)and the initial impression is of a new sitcom trying to find a theme and not really succeeding.

However, when you get to see these early episodes again and again, you can see the way the parts quickly meld into the whole, the individuals start to interact and everything lifts off into almost certainly the best sitcom ever written.

The mainstay characters Frasier, Martin, Niles, Daphne, Ros, Maris and Eddie become real people, so that part of the joy of watching them and their development is the frisson you get when you know how they will react to some situation, and that almost tangible interaction this creates between the writers and the TV audience. Some characters are written out - Chopper Dave is an example - and some become casual appearances like Bebe, but all have believable and recognisable behaviours. The casual viewer may well miss many of the asides, the running gags and the double meanings of many of the inserted titles, but this makes it all the more enjoyable for the addicted.

There has never been a series so well written, constructed and acted in the history of TV comedy, in my opinion.

The setting-it-all-up episodes (probably the first three or four) are at times a little uncomfortable but then the characters have become fully rounded and taken on a life of their own and the series becomes self-sustaining. The apogee probably occurs in the second third: when the unrequited love affair between Niles and the uncomprehending Daphne comes out into the open one of the mainstays of the comedic tension is diminished, and something is lost. However the scripts do then go on to explore other aspects of the Crane mindset, albeit perhaps a little less effectively.

Frasier is sometimes compared with Seinfeld. I cannot watch the latter, which to me epitomises some of the worst aspects of American sitcom shows: the one-liners, the bongy-bongy-BONG musical underlining of each crack as if to tell the canned laughter machine "this is where you laugh".

Frasier is outstanding, and I can watch each one time and time again. Can you say that about many shows?
  • That being said it's all a matter of opinion, of course, & I also think Seinfeld is a fine show, but for me nothing can touch Frasier. Both Seinfeld & Friends were more popular shows in that decade, ratings wise, but come awards season they probably dreaded having to go up against this marvel.

Not that that alone makes Frasier better in my eyes. I don't even necessarily think it should have won 5 consecutive best comedy Emmy's (the love could have been spread around)but the acting & writing made me keep tuning in without fail. I loved Grammar on Cheers & when I heard Frasier Crane would get his own spin off I was ecstatic, if also a bit worried. I was afraid they would water the character down somehow, or that as good as Grammar was on Cheers he couldn't be a lead - how I love to be wrong! Grammar could not only be a lead, I would easily rank him as one of the best actor's of the '90's (drama or comedy). The other masterstroke was to have such a talented ensemble surround him. The brilliant timing & chemistry between them all was evident from the 1st episode.

Speaking of that, watch just the first episode of the series again if you think I'm overdoing it a bit.I watch a lot of comedies & I don't know of another that from episode 1 hit the ground running in such a tremendous way. Not even great comedies like MTM, MASH, Taxi, or Seinfeld grabbed you in such a way to make you think you were watching greatness happen. From the performances to the writing (watch how they made Frasier's backstory clear, to why he was now in Seattle, to his less than harmonious relationship with his father & brother)to just being plain funny & heartfelt (the argument Frasier has with Martin, his dad, that could have damaged thing's between them permanently to the wonderful way Martin apologizes).

A few last words - the other thing the producers of this show did brilliantly was cast David Hyde Pierce. His Niles simply is one of the best creations ever, right up there with Ed Asner's Lou Grant & Danny Devito's Louie DePalma. Although I said they could spread the love around a bit with the best comedy series Emmy, I actually would have been OK with DHP winning not just 4 awards as best supp. actor, but 11 of them, 1 every year. He is that good that there is at least 1 episode in every season that is Emmy worthy. Seriously.

I was sad to this fine program go, but I own all 11 seasons on DVD & randomly stick a disc in to watch when I need a boost or just to witness fine comedy of the like I'm afraid may not get made again.
  • I always wondered for a while what the show Frasier is like and I saw that it was on Netflix and I decided to watch the first episode and go from there to see if I really liked it.Now I am almost done watching season 3 since I watched the first episode and it is such a funny show to watch and it's a show where people can really connect to.Kelsey Grammar does such a great job at bringing heart and soul to the character Frasier Crane who helps out people on his radio talk show.
  • "Frasier" is the only sitcom on broadcast television I make a point to watch every week, including reruns. It's amazing how, even after 8 seasons and 200+ episodes, the show maintains such a high standard. It doesn't take a rocket scientist (or more appropriately, perhaps, a psychiatrist) to understand why: a simple, plausible concept, interesting characters, an outstanding ensemble cast, and smart, funny writers who seem to understand that TV viewers aren't necessarily idiots. Not every episode is a home run, of course, but the cast (especially Kelsey Grammer and David Hyde-Pierce) can make even a mediocre script funny and witty. And Niles' pursuit of the lovely Daphne has got to be one of the most amusing (and touching) romances in TV history. My favorite episodes? Frasier's typically ham-handed attempt to produce a radio mystery play for Halloween, and "Moondance", with Niles and Daphne dancing the tango, and Niles having his Quixotic attempt to win the heart of Daphne crushed once again. When it is finally put to rest, "Frasier" should easily join the list of the best TV sitcoms of all time.
    Small Spoiler!

I like Frasier, i always have and it's always annoyed me that people won't give it a chance because they think it's high-brow and pretentious.

First of all the entire concept of the show is based on a long-standing character out of Cheers, i'm sure everyone would agree that even Friends could seem snobby compared to such an every-man sitcom so how can it be so that Frasier is only for "intellectual" people?

so with that in mind let me dispel some misconceptions about Frasier:

It is not snobby or difficult to get into, if you see a random episode with Niles and Frasier talking psychobabble in Armani suits while sipping latte's in a posh coffee shop then i can see why you'd think that. But Frasier is a sitcom that rewards commitment, I've had friends who've hated frasier even though they've only seen little bits, i've sat them down and shown them a few choice episodes and they've completely fallen in love with it and borrowed the DVD's. But back to the coffee suppin' snobs, the recurrent theme of the programme is how utterly ridiculous Niles and Frasier actually are, they live ludicrous lifestyles where they consider themselves to be better than everyone else because they appreciate the "finer things" in life. Were it not for the excellent writing and brilliant actors then these 2 would be detestable human beings, but as it is you see them as a source of pity rather than arrogant idiots, they were heavily bullied at school and have both had ridiculously trying marriages with women who made them feel inadequate, not to mention the fact the brothers are insanely competetive with each other.

The whole premise of the show isn't 2 people discussing Freud's theories in a coffee shop, Frasier's down to earth ex-policeman father martin got shot and is now unable to live on his own, he and his dog and his hideous green chair have to move in with Frasier, this is the tempo for the first few seasons, frasier and martin and martin's English healthcare worker Daphne Moon.

Frasier usually being the aggressor in arguments and constantly being the one who's unreasonable, all the while doling out advice on tolerance and forgiveness at his job at a radio station (the show's longest recurring theme, Frasier being someone who believes himself to be very self aware but in actual fact he's a massive hipocrite) all the while usually being mocked by his free wheeling producer Roz Doyle who thinks that Frasier has no fun.

The comedy comes thick and fast at home too with Martin and Daphne pointing out Frasier's ludicrous habits and pretentous tendencies while they all try to get along under the same roof.

then there's the 7 series long run of Niles being in love with Daphne and her being miraculously unaware even though his behaviour around her is incredibly goofy and/or flirtatious.

It is true that Frasier and Niles pull every little problem to pieces with intense over-analysis, but far from being boring this just emphasizes the fact that these 2 couldn't possibly exist outside of their perfect little worlds.

Not once does the programme take itself too seriously, it's often incredibly touching when Martin and Frasier connect over something as they are 2 radically different people that occasionally ponder if they are even blood related because fraiser and niles are nothing like him but much more like their dead mother, but you are never led to believe that Frasier and Martin don't love each other and Frasier often tells his father that he respects him more than anyone else he's ever met and that his father's integrity has made him the man he is today.

as the seasons go on you see Niles and Frasier trying to better theirselves and be less pretentious, everything from fatherhood to relationships gets a look-in through all 11 seasons and Frasier's capacity to sabotage his own relationships is surely second to none.

to sum it up i'd say that Frasier is, funny, touching, clever and rewarding, but if you don't understand the premise then you will not enjoy it.
  • I started watching it around 2010 when someone suggested it. I had finished other popular Sitcoms like Big Bang Theory, Two and a Half Men, Friends and How I Met your Mother and wanted to watch something new.

I was hooked after watching couple of episodes and loved the characters. The sarcasm is really great. The way the intellectual Crane boys interact with regular characters (Daphne, Martin and Roz) is awesome. The other characters specially Eddie and Bulldog also leave a strong impression.

Re-watching again in 2017.
  • I loved Frasier, the arrogant, pompus, jackass shrink we all came

to know and love in Cheers. We knew very little about Frasier then. Kelsey Grammer, who played him, didn't even join the cast until about a year or two after it aired. According to Cheers, Frasier's parents were dead, and he didn't have a brother. NBC played

musical chairs with the show over its eleven year run. It aired on Thursdays after Seinfeld, then it was moved to Tuesdays, then

back to Thursdays, then back to Tuesdays. It was enough to make

your head spin. Frasier introduced us to a whole new cast of

characters---Roz Doyle, played ably by Peri Gilpin, (although Lisa Kudrow, Friends 1994,) was originally up for the role of the horny, man-crazy, producer. We had Niles, Frasier's equally pompus, but hypochondriac brother, who was always mooning over Martin's allegedly psychic physical therapist, Daphne Moon, (pun definitely intended. Get it? Mooning?) Niles was married to the never-seen, always talked about, always maligned, Maris, who was the butt of jokes, just like Norm's wife, Vera, was in the aforementioned

Cheers. After leaving Boston, Frasier Crane returned to his

hometown of Seattle, Washington, home of Starbuck's, Amazon.com, and the Cafe Nervosa, a small coffee shop where Frasier and Niles meet every day for coffee and to talk about their day. Niles is in private practice. He think's Frasier's a sellout

because he's a bigtime radio shrink. Although in one episode,

Frasier went to psychiatry convention in Denver, and Niles filled in for him. Then there was Bob "Bulldog" Briscoe. The macho man

host of a sports talk show at KACL. He was the stereotypical male chauvinist pig. At the end of the third season, a group of Hispanic investors bought the station, and fired the entire staff. Frasier was so distraught he tried to write songs to get past it. There was the time he crashed a funeral. He also remembered having a crush

on his piano teacher. There was the time he dated a swimsuit designer and ran into Lilith, his ex-wife, in Bora Bora, (hubba,

hubba!) The time he went to Mexico and slept with a supermodel

played by Sisters' Sela Ward, and nobody believed him, so he took a picture of her while she slept, and she broke up with him over it. The time Roz went to a Halloween party dressed as O, (Oh!), a Japanese superhero who changed sexes after being immersed in water, and got knocked up by a younger man. Want more? Watch it for yourself. However, if you should see the ones Bibi Glasier, the Agent from Hell, you'll die laughing.
  • Dr. "Frasier Crane" is a stuffy psychiatrist who, after his divorce, he moved from Boston to Seattle to take a program-office radio. Upon arrival, he learns that he has to live with his father, a former policeman grumpy disabled on duty. "Frasier" is often with his brother (also a psychiatrist, and even more snobbish), with which it has very peculiar conversations about art, women and life in general. In the life of "Frasier" stable only two women: his assistant, an English highly desired by his brother and the director of the program, a single woman desperate to have a boyfriend.

"Frasier" is the best comedy series in TV history, The Sorrows of neurotic and pedantic Seattle psychiatrist, played by the great actor Kelsey Grammar. What makes the series "Frasier" better is its proximity, its ability to comfort, to feel good in the middle of a sea of laughter, humor and bright acid, paradoxical situations, Freudian thoughts ... or how not to separate the smile in the 22 minutes that each episode. While it is true that in any chapter can loosen the script at any time it appears another great episode and you find yourself laughing party for one of the big hits of humor "Niles Crane", or the father's outbursts, "Martin ", or pedantic always and extremely competitive " Frasier ". Good characters of the girls, "Daphne and Roz" and legendary bit actors Briscow Bulldog Bob, Gail Noel Shemsky or Chesterton. It is simply the best comedy series on television, with characters and a script most elaborate spectacular, Its corrosive, intelligent and black humor is not common in other series.

It is highly recommended to start watching it since the first season and follow in order, as it has evolved and there are references to past situations.
  • mattkratz18 December 2001
    This series is a deserving spinoff from Cheers, and I like what I've seen of it. Kelsey Grammer is in top form as the title character, and for the most part the series features funny, intelligent jokes and situations, such as when Frasier obsessively tries to track down a missing tape of one of his shows. If you liked Cheers, you'll like this series.
  • Frasier's writers and actors proved that a show can be written intelligently, even too intelligently, and still come off hilariously witty and relatable. Frasier, along with Seinfeld and The Golden Girls is one of the best written comedies of all time. Although not present initially, it only took a few episodes for the chemistry between smarty-pants Frasier (Kelsey Grammar) and his on-screen brother Niles (David Hyde Pierce) to develop. What ensued was some of the nerdiest and funniest high-brow dialogue ever performed. Combine that with the painfully delayed romance of Niles and Daphne (Jane Leeves), and you get great entertainment.