• This is strange and unlike the other puppet master movies in the series. But it is funny in many ways, for instance take Cameron's high pitched shrieking of obcenities, and the Head monster at the Beginning is Hilarious looking HA HA HA. I was very pleased the girl who plays Lauren, man is she attractive or WHAT? The puppets are good guys who have to fight off Evil? What happend to the Evil gene and the lust to get brain chunks HUH? Well it's pretty cool that they are good though. The soundtrack by Quiet Riot and Joker is the icing on the cake for me. Watch this movie it's not that long. and its pretty GOOD.
  • In this third sequel Gordon Currie makes his first really big role of a movie . Rick (G.Currie) is the caretaker to a hotel . Him and three other friends find the puppets Pinhead, Jester , and you know all the others . In this moviee the puppets are good and are fighting evil . Tons of action pretty good . Followed by Part 5 witch is horrible . Believe me . If your a horror fan you should watch this movie . ** stars out of four . Guy Rolfe ( Toulon also makes his return . He was in the third .
  • I though that PM4 and 5 were the best of the series. the puppets are fighting the Totems, minions of Sutek, who want the secret Toulon stole from him back. To help the Puppets, a new one, Decapitron (originally an idea for an unmade Empire Pictures filck) is made. This has always been my favorite Full Moon flick, and I love part V. Keep up the work Mr. Band. As usual, the video contains an excellent videozone, and the video itself was distributed by Paramount. A Puppet Master Box Set was released in 2000 by Full Moon, but was quickly recalled by Paramount because they still claimed the rights to these films. Paramount needs to stop being an ass and let Mr. Band release all of his great films through Full Moon, not the Paramount "Full Screen Collection". Bless Full Moon.
  • PUPPET MASTER IV

🌕🌕🌕🌘🌑 3.2

I thought this was entertaining enough. Not as good as the third, but fun. And the puppet FX were good once again. Th whole puppet vs. Puppet concept works great on providing action and effects, and the demon-puppets are a good villain. I found there is plenty of clever stop motion here, all done very well. The acting ain't to bad either, but the psychic girl is a tad annoying. There are three issues I had with the film. The first, a small bug, is the buildup, which like in 1 or 2 takes a bit. The second, a much larger issue, is that the plot seems to feel very scrapped together, like a bunch of little pieces of a script. So when it's all patched together it feels a little disjointed. The third, another problem, is the lack of blood. I don't mean gore I mean blood. Other than a severed finger the action is never violent or bloody enough to be horror-y. Even so this film is entertaining and I recommend it to fans of the series ('sept for gore hounds) and the younger horror audience too.
  • The notorious Bodega Bay Inn is now inhabited by a whiz-kid science major named Rick Myers who is working for an elite team of scientists in hopes of finding out the secret of artificial intelligence. Meanwhile, in Hell, at the EXACT SAME MOMENT, a legion of evil rubbery demons send a horde of minions to the surface to kill anyone who has anything to do with Andre Toulon's elixir of animation. It certainly would be bad luck if Rick just happened to stumble upon a vial of the damning potion, now wouldn't it? Even though the plot of this particular chapter in the Puppet Master series is razor-thin and the acting stays consistently mundane throughout, it has a certain flair that most of the other entries don't. The puppets are much more likeable this time around, and their movements, although not as detailed or complex, are a lot more amusing and believable.
    Toulon's puppets battle a bunch of gremlin-like monsters who want to steal the elixir from boyish young scientist Rick Myers (a lively and engaging performance by Gordon Currie). Director Jeff Burr relates the entertaining premise at a brisk pace, maintains a generally serious tone throughout, makes neat occasional use of funky stop-motion animation, and delivers a generous sprinkling of gore. This film further benefits from solid acting from a capable cast: pretty Chandra West as Rick's sweet girlfriend Susie, Jason Adams as smug and jealous jerk Cameron, and foxy Teresa Hill as sensitive psychic Lauren. Gulf Rolfe makes a welcome return appearance as Andre Toulon while Felton Perry has a regrettably small part as amiable scientist Dr. Carl Baker. The gremlin creatures are real gnarly. Moreover, it's cool to see the puppets as the good guys for a change. The tight 80 minute running time ensures that this movie never gets dull or overstays its welcome. Adolfi Bartoli's crisp cinematography gives the picture a pleasing polished look. Richard Band's spirited score hits the nicely spooky spot. Worth a watch for fans of this franchise.
  • I remember not particularly caring much for the rest of Full Moon's direct-to-video Puppet Master films that followed on after third instalment, but I managed to come across Parts 4 and 5. I had inkling to see if I still felt the same way and after getting through the fourth film it was actually better than I remembered. Nevertheless I didn't really liked how the puppets are turned into the good guys (although you could say that was the case in the third film, but I preferred that one's revenge angle) facing off against a Sutek the ancient Eygptian God and its minions that can control totems, but credit is due to somewhat (as some familiar staples do crop up) not completely repeating itself. Directed by Jeff Burr (a regular to the genre and to sequels… who would also direct the back-to-back made filth film), does quite competently polished if mechanical job, knowing that it's the puppets themselves that are the main attraction, as the animation is well-executed and the personalities of each one of them standing out with Blade taking centre stage. I always find something unsettling about the puppet Six Shooter and his laugh and again it's no exception here. The only two that didn't appear were leech woman and torch.

The whole angle has the puppets finding a new master and protecting him from the demon who wants to destroy the late Andre Toulon's work and the tone has kind of changed, while some dark glimmers I didn't find it all that creepy (with nastiness mainly occurring off-screen) and even the cliff side hotel they occupy doesn't have that dominating presence either. Some instances fell on the funny side, but the change of pace and whole drama moves by quick enough. Also it looked like it had a little more money behind it and Richard Band chimes in with an airy, majestic score. Reasonable performances by Gordon Currie and Chandra West in the leads with Guy Rolfe returning as Andre Toulon.
  • I thought this was best one yet, (No, I am not Drunk lol ) I really enjoyed this one the most.

I had fun of start to end of this movie, it's started of as Cheese as you can get, in the underworld of Hell (It''s kind of reminds of old Power ranger shows I used to watch when I was kid lol ) , the demon Sutekh send to of Totems which really nasty little creatures

Rick Myers who ends up coming cross the Puppets and then bring they back for his own entertainment.

Soon the puppets turn good and defend the Humans against the Totems and battle break with Blade and one of Creature.

I love Jester face kept changing in fight scenes, I found it's really funny, I think could of helped that if thee kids in this movie instead of Adults.

I can see why not many people like this movie, there was really limited on on kill scenes, there not many bloody moment.

Some of the acting in this movie, as got to be worse anything in this series so. I think lead guy the only you acting didn't not bother me.

Overall going to give this a 6 out of 10 (I was going give 7 but I was hoping of for more gore)

I wasn't even thinking of seeing 5, i might end up having fun with it
  • The ancient demon God Sutek is finally angry enough that Andre Toulon (Guy Rolfe) stole his life-giving formula that it sends some demons (tiny, of course) to the "upperworld" to get those responsible. Somehow that means scientists from a Government company, despite them having nothing to do with it. Who is involved is kid genius Rick Myers (Gordon Currie), who has discovered the puppets while doing his experiments at the Bodega Bay Inn while acting as a caretaker. Running only 75 minutes, this mess of a film actually has 5 screenwriters credited with the nonsense plot. The main point seems to be about resurrecting new puppet Decapitron (a hold over idea from Band's Empire days) and Toulon telling Rick he is the new puppet master. About the only good thing in the film is the stop motion work by Dave Allen and his crew, but it seems to be less and less with each entry. This marks a turning point with the tiny terrors being full blown good guys now. This was also the first in the PM series to feature no nudity. PUPPET MASTER 4 came out in November 1993 and the fifth entry, despite being filmed back-to-back, came out almost a year later in September 1994. Felton Perry has two scenes as a murdered scientist.
  • PUPPET MASTER 4 is certainly the best of the PUPPET MASTER series. Gordon Currie, Chandra West, and Guy Rolfe star in this horror film of incredible proportions. Never has anything like this ever been done before, were you take the villains from previous legendary horror films and make them the victims and the ones in need of help.

In my regards, this is one of the best horror films of the early 90's, and I recommend it to anyone with interest in horror films or if you liked the original PUPPET MASTER movies.

Not much else can be said about this film. It is probably a certainty that if you liked the series, you will like this movie, though.

PUPPET MASTER 4 gets 4/5.
  • Staying at an abandoned hotel, a man and his friends experimenting on a secret project find the discarded puppets being targeted for their secret life-giving formula by the demonic originators of the formula and must help them stop the vicious creatures.

This one turned out to be quite a decent and enjoyable effort. Considering it's shortened length, this one offers up a lot of good will with the fact that the puppets are placed at the forefront of the film for a majority of the time here. This impressive amount of time gives the film a rather blistering pace here that starts off nicely here with the two separate, individual attacks against the scientists featuring the rather cool new demon puppet, the enjoyable game against the puppets during the blackout as he attempts to find out the true nature of their powers which leads into the rather fun search throughout the house with the puppets helping out as well as the lead-in to the fun and enjoyably cheesy attack inside the car outside in the rain. As that itself leads into the later scenes where the puppets are tasked with holding off several big action scenes by themselves, it gives this one an extra boost as there's so many vivid and impressive scenes that rely solely on the puppets fighting each other, from the impressive battle in the kitchen where they team up against the demon in a three-on-one battle or the race to get their lifeless leader reanimated while holding off brawls with several of the demonic creatures still after them gives this one a life and energy that's quite exciting and enjoyable. Along with the fun and utterly creepy demonic-puppet look, there's a lot to like here that makes this one good enough to hold out over the film's minor flaws. The main issue here is the fact that this one really belies it's purpose as being the first part of an origin story by really running through a lot of the unsure elements of the story as there's a lot to this one that doesn't get explained. From how they manage to tie in the events from the second film which is the true predecessor in the series, the introduction of the strange demon cult that protects the entirely different set of magic that was used to originally animate the puppets and the need for a new puppet master all go by with little information if any is given at all so that on the whole this one suddenly becomes quite confusing whenever it goes into the underworld which just doesn't make any sense. As this one was all about the action scenes anyway, it isn't a surprise that many of these would go unanswered but as a stand- alone film just before the answers are given in another film yet it's still a very noticeable facet about this one. It's really the main thing holding this one back.

Rated R: Graphic Violence and Graphic Language.
    Puppet Master is one of those franchises that every horror fan knows, and has a peculiar fondness for despite the fact that it isn't very good at all. Here, in the fourth instalment we see a demonic creature out to destroy anything associated with the eponymous puppet master, Anton Toulon himself. The subjects of his wrath? The lethal and animate toys Toulon created, as well as an improbably young scientist working on a project to bring life to the inanimate and a clutch of his witless friends and associates. Sound dreadful? Well, it's not. Harking back to the glory days of American horror, this is retro stuff that feels as if it was made ten years before it actually was. And that's a good thing, kids. Trust me, if the only horror you have seen is 'Shrooms, Thir13en ghosts and other such nonsense that gets the green light in modern horror cinema, you really are missing out and would do well to check out pretty much anything pre 1989 as an educational experience. Whilst the production levels and acting are bordering on the inane, this has atmosphere by the bucket load. In truth, the Puppet Master movies feel like really dark kids films, as there is next to nothing in the way of gore or violence, though this one at least has an entertaining death scene near the start which is relatively tense. Special mention must go to the metal soundtrack, which was great, as well as the device used to end the demonic menace: The Decapitron, a puppet with the power of mimicry. Entertaining enough horror yarn.
  • barnthebarn13 November 2008
    A severe backwards step for the puppets in this mainly dull and tedious outing. Guy Rolfe, so fantastic as Andre Toulon in part three barely features this time and Richard Band's fantastical them tune appears with the puppets a fair few minutes in to the film. For the start of the movie we are introduced to the caretaker of Bodega Bay Inn (Gordon Currie) and some youth friends of his (many of the cast are Canadian and are all very good in unfortunately rather undemanding roles - Teresa Hill is quite yummy). Totems, minions of the Egyptian God Sutek want the secret of animation life back and the puppets (when they surface) act with a previously unseen cleverness to attempt to destroy the ugly and very computer game looking Totems. The Totems merely complicate the series and distract from the things that previously made the series so unique - they don't share the weird beauty of the puppets and thus don't really fit in. Top scene is Pinhead using a rag to clean blood from Tunnelers drill bit, classic and about the goriest this film goes. The fifth film was filmed concurrently with this one so expect similar sections of mediocre and a Toulon performance that seems to have been filmed in a different era (or even galaxy). Guy Rolfe deserved better and series fans certainly do. Grrrrrrr.
  • Rautus24 July 2007
    Puppet Master 4 brings something new to the series by making the Puppets the main good guys and having them fight against a new foe called the Totems. It was actually cool seeing the Puppets teaming up to fight them. The plot sees a demon named Sutek who wants the secret of bringing life to inanimate objects returned to him so he sends some of his Puppets called the Totems who are controlled by the creatures inside the dimension, a high-tech corporation receives one of the Totems in the create and after being opened it attacks Dr. Baker and Dr. Piper. In the Inn a young employee Rick Myers who is also the caretaker for the Inn is trying to create artificial life but can't seem to make the robots work on their own, after his girlfriend, college and his girlfriend who is psychic arrive he shows them around and they find one of the Puppets, Blade lying around. Soon they find Toulon's puppet cabinet in one of the rooms but it's sealed up so using acid they break it open and find the other Puppets: Pinhead, Jester, Six-Shooter, Tunneler and Decapatron. They also find Toulon's diary and serum, injecting the Puppets with the serum they come to life again. Cameron and his girlfriend use a Ouija board to try and talk to Toulon but instead the Totems appear, then Rick must protect the secret and stop the Totems with the help of the Puppets and Toulon's spirit. They soon learn that to stop the Totems they need to use Toulon's unfinished Puppet Decapatron, Rick with the help of the Puppets go to re-animate Decapatron to stop the Totems from getting the secret.

Puppet Master 4 is another good sequel to the Puppet Master franchise. Check it out. 10/10
    ***SLIGHT SPOILERS*** This installment of the Full Moon franchise changes the storyline a bit and implements some new elements. First off a new puppet master is established. Secondly, the puppets turn good in this sequel. Finally, It introduces some scifi/fantasy elements as well.

A new tenant of the infamous hotel by the bay, his girlfriend, her psychic friend, and that psychics boyfriend, stumble upon Andre Toulon's puppet trunk. They also learn about some demon from another dimension that holds Toulon responsible for stealing the secret to animating the unliving. So Sutekh (the demon) sends the totems, a bunch of craven little creatures that look like ear-less gremlins. Then it's up to the puppet troupe to take care of the inter-dimensional threat that's trying to kill there new friends.

Like most low budget movies this film is rife with continuity problems. How did the puppets get put back in the trunk? How come nobody remembers the last rasche of killngs in the hotel? Who bought the hotel? Why would a contractor by a building with a history of mass murders? All this and many more questions, will not be answered...ever.

The real suprise of this movie is the acting. It's actually pretty good. The actors take it with a enthusiasm unusual especially for a bunch of Full Moon nonames. Teresa Hill was especially impressive as the shy, nervous, psychic Lauren. Chandra West (Susie) was also a pleasant suprise also. Gordon Hill was a tolerable protagonist. But Cameron was far too annoying to stomach. Thank the norse god he dies before halfway through.

The puppets are there usual animated selves. With some improvements as well. There emotions (especially Jester's) are much more human due to the sounds that have been given to them. Blade's hisses, Pinhead's grunts, and Six-Shooter's snicker have all been improved and sound much better. The stop-motion animation is only average at best, especially the totems. They just don't seem to move as fluidly as the previous installment in the series. Also the Sutekh costume is absolutely awefull. How are we supposed to afraid of a creature so humorous looking.

The story seems a bit juvinile for the series. I think Charlie Band was looking to focus in on a younger demographic. The violence being toned down in this movie also seems to speak the same. Gore fans will be disappointed.

I think the above is the main problem this movie can't really stick with many people. It doesn't have the violence for gorewhores. The language is a little cleaner. Yet it's too violent and harsh for the wee ones. Which is why the movie gets low ratings. I have to say that the common reviews are mostly fair.
  • The Puppet Master Movies are my Favorite Series of Horror Films. I've Seen All of Them Except Part 5, and Let me Tell You, I have Gotten Thrills, Chills, and Enjoyment out of Every Single One. In This One, we Have some of The Same Good Things we Find in Part One. Mainly A Psychic, A Team of Researchers, and Most Importantly, Good Scares! However, Unlike The Original, This time we Find Something New. A Few little Demons who want to Steal Back the Magic that Andre Toulon Stole from Them. Sounds Stupid? It isn't. I Even think It was Good for The Series to take a bit of a Twist. I also Thought it was Nice that the Puppets became the Good Guys. Because in The Three Previous Films, We Learn that The Puppets Will Obey any Command from "The Puppet Master". Also in The Three Previous Films, The Puppet Master has used the Puppets for Their own Evil. I Think This Film also tries to Tell you That It is not The Puppets who are the Bad Guys, It's the People that Abuse the Puppets' Power.

In Case you Already Haven't Heard, You Should Know that this is The Newest Puppet's Debut Film. His Name is Decapitron, and He is the Most "Shocking" and Powerful of Them All. It's War and Chaos as The Puppets Fight off The Pesky little Demons as They Protect Themselves, The People stuck in the Hotel, and Most Importantly, The Magic of Life. The Graphics were also Remarkable because The Actually looked like They Were Walking, as to Where in Scenes from Previous Films They looked Like they were Floating or Hovering. As Well as A New Puppet Showing Up, a Few Puppets are Absent. The Absent Puppets are Torch and Ms. Leech.

This Film was so Fun to Watch and I Would Hope that There wasn't a Person in the World who Didn't Like it. I Also Thought the Puppets were a Little More Fun to Watch, Because they are Funny and Curious. All in All, We are left with a Good Film with Plenty of Thrills and Excitement to Go Around. A Pure Joyride. 10 out of 10. Any Good Puppet Master Fan Should see The Best of The Series, Puppet Master III: Toulon's Revenge
  • I'm a big fan of the demonic puppets. Looking at the surface of this one, it looks pretty good! You've got Decapitron, the puppets, and a new villain in THE TOTEM! Unfortunately, the little punk that's doing this project to animate, inanimate objects, can't act. He stinks! His girlfriend is worse. If they were left out, it would probably be cool, BLADE VS. THE TOTEM. I'd watch that for 2 hours. But instead, the puppets role is down played, and the whole movie suffered because of it. The mystical Skull guy who created the totem is corny at best, and Decapitrons appearance is long awaited, short, and really quite disappointing. You'd be better off watching the first one again.
  • ryan-1007530 August 2019
    A brilliant super-nerd Rick Myers (Gordon Currie) who likes to play laser tag while rocking out to metal is conducting some experiments and doing research in the Bodega Bay Inn while he is caretaker. He feels he works much better in this environment while no one is looking over his shoulder. THE SHINING anyone? Three friends come over including his girlfriend Susie (Chandra West) and they find puppets that have been locked away since maybe some time around 1941. So, forget about parts 1 and 2 now. The puppets are brought back to life, but a demon named Sutekh (whose appearance is like a puppet as well. The biggest problem I had with this character is he wasn't scary and you just wanted to hug him) has sent three servants to get Toulon's secret.

Now, one thing I will say is the effects are getting better by 1993 and are actually getting quite effective in my eye. There is also a new puppet called Decapitron who can have different heads placed on his body. It is also through this puppet that Toulon (Guy Rolfe makes his return) appears to Rick. Strange to say the least and while the effects are getting better, this effect well wasn't a highlight I would say. Also starring Felton Perry in an almost useless role as Dr. Carl Baker.

Anyways, if you do watch it and in fact enjoy it perhaps PUPPET MASTER 5 will be for you as well as Jeff Burr directed it and is a complete sequel to this movie.
  • And back again - well not in the Nazi Reich anymore that is. Which was the previous entry. Don't be dissapointed or excited yet - we'll get back there, if you hang and watch on that is. Because there are a couple of those movies still to come. It's interesting that someone wrote in one of the series reviews that most of them are not connected.

I mean you can watch them without any prior knowledge (though you do have the one that kind of has the first 10 minutes retelling the previous one, and I think it's number 5 in the series that does that).. I don't find that to be entirely true. You get kind of the same puppets (at least until number 7) with a few additions here and there. Here you also have evil puppets from beyond ... whatever that means to you. They have some sort of plan, but I couldn't spoil it to you, even if I wanted to.
    From the mind from Charles Robert Band, writer & founder of Full Moon Features; a company known for its direct-to-video B-List horror & sci-fi movies, comes 'Puppet Master 4' AKA "Puppet Master: the Demon", a film so out-there stupid, that it makes the previous three film, seem tame in comparison. Directed by Jeff Burr, the film tells the story of Andre Toulon (Guy Rolfe)'s animated puppets, once again, serving as protagonists as they fight against demons avatar minions called 'totems', sent from hell, looking for the secret life formula. Without spoiling the directed to video, movie, too much, much like the previous entry, 1991's prequel, 'Puppet Master III: Toulon's Revenge', the timeline for this film is also mess up, and doesn't really follow any of the continuous, set for it, after the events of 1990's 'Puppet Master II: His Unholy Creations'. One, such example is the serum McGuffin. In the last movie, they were running out of it, and had to make more, or the puppets would cease to exist. In 'Puppet Master 4", the many writers, just avoid that conflict, in order to make a more confusing one. Instead of running out of vials, the formula is now, suddenly available unexplained, in order for out of place, robotic scientists who happen to be caretaker for murder houses, such as Rick Myers (Gordon Currie) to use it, to create artificial intelligence life; despite the previous movies saying the puppets are human souls trapped in puppet form, not inanimate objects given life. Also, why in the hell, would they need a lightning rod to reanimate one of the newer puppets, when they have the serum!? It's seems to me, that the writers don't know, the hell, they're talking about. Since they're writing for Rick. It makes young scientist seems like a total idiot for not knowing the different between spiritualism & basic science. To make it worst, the writers chose to have an odd whimsical moment of him, playing laser tag with the puppets; knowing full well, after reading Toulon's diary that these marionettes had killed people in the past. Rick would have to be, a major moron to give a gun to a murderer, and ask it to shot at him to prove artificial intelligence & then later, use a fake gun to try to combat a real threat! Are you sure, writers, that Rick is a scientist!? You wrote him, so stupidly. It doesn't help that the actor that plays him, is not that good of a performer. He never once seem like he belong in the same group of scientists at Bio-Tech, who has least, gave a fighting chance against the creatures. For the most part, he's pretty useless against fighting off the demons; making the puppets have to do, his dirty work, even if he's six feet taller than the totems. Also, the movie doesn't really explain, why the demons would send, little avatars versions of themselves over in the first place. Wouldn't it make sense, to send themselves since they're taller and more powerful than the humans!? Also, why did they kill, Rick's buddies at Bio-Tech in the opening of the film!? It's not like he open the trunk, containing the puppets, yet. I guess, the demons doesn't like, other people trying to create life. Also, another plot hole, the movie doesn't really explain, that good, is how in the hell, was the trunk in which, Rick pull the puppets out, looks like it hasn't been touched in 50 years, despite evidence that shows this film to take place sometime after 'Puppet Master I & II'. Also, what happen to one of the parapsychologist, Camille Kenney (Nita Talbot) that got her soul transfer into a woman-sized mannequin (Julianne Mazziotti), from the last movie? Better yet, how did the puppets get back to the hotel!? She drove off, with them, in the last movie. None of these things are really explained. Besides that, the other faults of the film, are the lousy visuals effects. The costumes for the demons, are really low budget and not well made. They really come off, as very fake-looking. Not only that, but the ventriloquism is really awful for them. The demons, don't really move right. Although, the demons are not great. The puppeteering for the totems & the puppets were a little better. However, the stop motion sequences kinda hit a down grade. You can really tell, that this movie had a budget cut, because the filmmakers reused previous small clips of stop motion footage from the other 3 films, a little too much. Even the gore effects have die down, since the last movie. Lots of off-screen kills & barely any blood use. I guess, Full Moon Studios tame the horror down to get a PG-13 rated, in order to get parents to buy the movie for their kids, but the plan backfired. Not only, did it, not bring that much, new viewers for this film and its sequel, 'Puppet Master 5: The Final Chapter'; which were both shot back to back, but it also kinda irritation the original fans in how tame, the violence has gotten. Sadly, Full Moon retired the franchise after this, in order to try a spin-off trilogy 'Puppet Master Vs Demonic Toys', but it never got off the ground until 2004. It wasn't until the sixth entry, 1998's 'Curse of the Puppet Master' that the main franchise got revived. Nevertheless, this is the movie that almost killed the franchise. That's how disappointing, it was. Overall: 'The Puppet Masters' film series is always been one of my guilty pleasures. It is by no means a series of puppet masterpieces, but it did entertains me, as a kid of the 1990s. This movie is not one of my favorites. In the end, this is one movie, worth punching away with Judy. Not worth seeing.
    For anyone who has not seen the first three movies, This is a little bit of a Spoiler. The original Film saw The puppets trying to protect their masters secrets in various bloody ways.

The second film saw them trying to Reanimate their master which by the end they had...

Puppet Master 2 was a total departure going into Prequel Territory and showing how Toulon fought in the war and how his puppets were created.

Of the first three films, ! was good, 2 was a bit of a let down and three was AMAZING!

So now we come to Puppet Master 3 - The Demon... Now originally this was going to be Called "When Bad Puppets Turn Good" - Thank god they ditched that Title.

Puppet Master 4 does not start out too well... In fact even by the standard of effects at the time, The masks on the Enemy are very poor.

Fight scenes are lacklustre at best, and there is little challenge to the imagination.

There are far too many plot holes to even refer to this a sequel... It is better thought of as a Stand alone movie.

So is it bad... Not Terrible but there was so much scope that was not explored from the first two... It is a fun watch but far from a series best!

However, the ground is laid for Remakes which with todays effects and a better story writer (Rob Zombie I hope you are reading this!) Could make a very effective series of films that would be fun and a joy to watch...

4 is OK! But it could have been so much better. Given it took until 1993 to release - Maybe the studios lost faith in the franchise, which is a serious shame as the third left an amazing story to work with.
  • "Puppet Master 4" shows the great potential this straight-to-video horror franchise has in terms of the variety of stories that can be explored. In this third sequel, the human characters and the infamous puppets are forced to battle the forces of darkness in the shape of a towering demonic baddie, Zutek, and the evil Totems (think gremlins but with less personality).

It's a feel-good horror movie but with a few genuine scares thrown in early on (a first for the "Puppet Master" series). The film is ably directed by Jeff Burr ("Leatherface") and moves at a cracking pace.

The cast do a decent job and there's even the introduction of a new puppet for the film's finale.

All in all, a great popcorn horror film that leaves the viewer hungry for the next (but not final) instalment.
  • If there's one thing to be said for Charles Band's long-running horror- franchise "Puppet Master", it's that it is a franchise that has proved to have a high degree of staying power, lasting near three decades thus far and with no signs of slowing down. Even now, there's talk of not only another sequel to the original franchise, but even a full- fledged theatrical reboot to the sometimes beloved series.

Of course, the series has needed to change with the times to remain culturally relevant, and in no place is that more apparent than in 1993's "Puppet Master 4." (Also known as "Puppet Master 4: The Demon.) It's an entry to symbolizes a lot of change for the overall story, both in subverting expectations and also finally taking the steps to update and modernize the overall franchise by injecting it with that grand old 90's cheese that so many now nostalgically look back on with a big grin.

It's also the first entry in the series to toy with the idea of the killer puppets being full-blown "heroes" in their own film. Whereas they typically had been previously portrayed as villainous and murderous (or at best as anti-heroes out for revenge at the call of their master as was the case in the third film), here they are finally at the hands of a decent master with no dark or selfish motivations who is merely seeking to survive and uses the puppets for good. It's a nice, refreshing change of pace... especially as it fulfills the typical audience desire to see the "villains" win (at least a little bit) without making us directly route for them to do terrible things.

We follow Rick Myers, a caretaker at the Bodega Bay Inn who also happens to be working in a research project to create artificial intelligence. (90's Alert! Techno babble and bad 90's computer programming scenes imminent!) However, as the project is getting dangerously close to discovering the secret to life that had previously been found by the Puppet Master Andre Toulon, the demon lord Sutekh sends a group of evil diminutive "totems" to kill all involved. Once Rick and his friends discover Toulon's puppets, they are forced to bring them to life to battle this new threat! And they will also finally have to animate Toulon's hidden incomplete masterpiece of a puppet "Decapitron" in order to survive...

Part of the fun of this entry is the subversion in finally making the puppets the good-guys, thus allowing a sort-of full-on "war" between two miniature factions. It supplies for a lot of fun moments and creative sequences. Our cast of human characters are also reasonably good leads for a low-budget horror feature, and you care just enough about them to keep you invested in the human drama. (Even if there are some clichés that will make you groan, like the "hot chick in glasses" scientist. Ugh.) There's also a lot of fun to be had looking back on it in that nostalgic "time capsule" way. This is very much the product of its time, with cheesy 90's style, cheesy 90's dialog and cheesy 90's effects running rampant. It's quite charming as a result, especially for those who grew up in that decade.

That being said, this is a very uneven film and it does suffer quite a bit for its faults. Many aspects of the story are dated to the point of going beyond the nostalgic charm. The pacing is all out of whack. Certain major elements seem out of left field. And it all does feel just a bit silly, even for a "Puppet Master" sequel.

Still, there's plenty of fun to be had. The series was never anything more than trashy, goofy B-movies with some blood and boobs and creepy puppets... And you certainly get that here for the most part.

So I'm giving it a middle-of-the-road 6 out of 10. If you're a series fan, a Charles Band fan, or just a B-movie fanatic like me, you'll get your money's worth.
  • A young scientist (Gordon Currie) and his friends, upon being attacked by demons, are protected by a gang of animated puppets.

On Super Bowl Sunday 1993, Charlie Band called director Jeff Burr and asked him to come in for a meeting. Burr had previously worked on Band's "The Vault", but the film never came out. At this meeting, Burr was offered parts 4 and 5 for "Puppet Master" and two parts of "Oblivion". At this time, Full Moon was largely backed financially by Paramount.

Someone concerned with the continuity points out: In "Toulon's Revenge", Andre Toulon escaped Berlin somewhere between 1942 and 1944. Toulon committed suicide on March 15, and the film mentioned the Eastern Front, whose conduct of operations didn't take place until summer of 1941. In this film, Toulon's diary recounts Major Krauss's death as being on April 7. Since in previously established timelines, Toulon made it to America almost one year after escaping, Toulon would have to had killed himself on March 15 either in 1943 up to 1945.

Who is this concerned? "Puppet Master" may be one of the worst horror franchises out there. Possibly not the very worst, because "Hellraiser" (for example) has really gone downhill to low, low depths. But really, this is Charles Band cheese, luckily saved by Jeff Burr, one of the best directors in the genre.

The film is not all bad. The casting is strange and the acting is poor, but the effects are decent. Not great, as they never are in the series, but the introduction of the demons is nice and they're way better than any of the puppets. Apparently Burr had only limited impact on the casting, as he wanted Judy Geeson for a role but Charlie Band overruled him and handpicked his own actress.

If you love movies, especially these lower budget movies, pick up this disc with Jeff Burr's audio commentary. Burr really needs to write an autobiography, as his memory is incredible and he is an excellent storyteller. He finds a way to fit 200 minutes worth of discussion into a less-than-90 minute film. His reflections on Albert Band and puppetry and everything else are priceless.
    I absolutely love the first three movies, they were great! I once caught Part 5 on VHS 10 years ago, and I was disappointed. But perhaps that was because I never saw the fourth one, because they were shot back-to-back. but after finally viewing a copy today, I have to say it was no way better than number 5. My expectations weren't high to begin with, but this is cheap direct-to-video stuff, not even a horror movie, it's PG-13. The acting was not convincing, the story was rather dumb without any excitement and there were not many effects. But the main problem is that there were no kills or any gore (the annoying kid who gets killed in his car was supposed to be the highlight, but come on..)

Surprisingly, both Parts 4 and 5 were directed by Sequel-director Jeff Burr who gave us the excellent Stepfather II and Leatherface: Texas Chainsaw Massacre III. I liked Puppet Master: The Legacy, even if it was nothing else than a tribute with the best scenes from all movies.

Overall, Puppet Master is very much like the Hellraiser Series: A great trilogy but forget the rest..