Laserdisc edition features 25 minutes of additional footage with seven scenes not included in the original release, including alternate ending in which the clerk is killed during a store hold-up.
The DVD version also includes an alternate set of closing credits. Instead of music, the credits are shown over cash register sound effects. At the very end of the credits there's also a brief scene showing a customer (played by director Kevin Smith) entering the store. Seeing that nobody is behind the counter (Dante has been shot during the hold-up) he steals a pack of cigarettes and leaves.
The German versions with subtitles (both TV and video releases) differ slightly from the normal theatrical release. They consist of the "festival cut" without any post-production noises during the "quick stop opening" scene and much less post-production noises during the entire movie. This festival cut also omits the song "Go Your Own Way", while the "egg shell trauma"-guy smashes the eggs to the pane.
The new Clerks X 10th Anniversary DVD contains the original first cut which is just over 10 minutes longer than the original. Here are some changes:
- There are many extra shots here and there in the film.
- There is a longer introduction to Jay and Silent Bob with Jay listing off all the drugs he's got.
- The Chewlie's Gum representative's speech is much longer and without cuts.
- Randal is seen shutting off the video monitor in the back.
- When Dante and Randal run from the funeral, there is a much longer shot of mourners trying to run after them.
- The fight scene is extended.
- There is an alternate ending in which one of the clerks is shot dead.
- The credits are slightly different and have no music over them.
- Director Kevin Smith has a non-Silent Bob cameo after the end credits.
In the Clerks X 10th Anniversary DVD, the sound effects in the opening credit sequence are absent in the original first cut version.