• For a modern Western movie this is very decent, considering we're talking a TV movie here this is very much above average. I really have a hard time understanding why this movie's rating isn't much higher as 5,7. Sure, this is no 'Unforgiven' or 'The Good, the Bad and the Ugly', but i don't think it pretends to be. This is just a fast-paced, violent action flick, which 'borrows' some elements from famous westerns and well, it works! I've seen this movie more then once, and it caught my full attention each and every time. As mentioned in a lot of these reviews Mickey Rourke is really great here. He's tough, he's mean, and he almost perfectly imitates Clint Eastwood's frown in close-ups. But the character I like most in this movie is Potts, played by Ted Levine. He's so dirty you can almost smell him, and he delivers some very cool lines. If you want to see a fun adventurous western movie i really recommend this one.
  • I recall this film since way back to its debut on HBO where it was produced for the small screen. The Last Outlaw might have seemed like a throw-away effort back in those days as many of us were still mesmerized by the character-driven epic Unforgiven. With The Last Outlaw, the emphasis is clearly on action and suspense. Nobody is attempting to re-define the genre with this picture. The film was written by Eric Red, and directed by Geoff Murphy. The films these men are associated with often rely on action and violence to get their message through. This film is no different.

The film begins with an obvious homage to the opening moments of The Wild Bunch. A posse of desperadoes, this one led by Mickey Rourke, rides brazenly into a small town with the intent of robbing a bank. And just like in The Wild Bunch, there is a group of men ready and waiting for them. A violent shootout complete with explosions ensues, and the gang is forced to ride out of town in a hurry. They are shot up and bleeding, but at least they got the money! Once the gang is safely out of town, they stop and regroup. Tensions between leader Rourke and his lieutenant Dermot Mulroney quickly boil over about leaving a wounded man behind. Rourke is shot and left for dead. But he sure as heck isn't dead. The rest of the film details the remaining gang members' attempt to flee to Mexico with a posse from the town hot on their trail. And Rourke, through some interesting complications, finds himself reincarnated as THE POSSE'S leader! Nothing will stop him from hunting his old gang down and killing them off one by one! Dozens of gunshot victims from both sides are soon strewn across the New Mexico countryside.

The film has a lot going for it. The cast is uncommonly talented for such a film simply made for cable. Rourke is as good as ever. Mulroney has never impressed me as an actor, but he sure looks like real a cowboy.Great support from Ted Levine, John C. McGinley, and Steve Buscemi, among others. Even the guy who plays Fraker in Death Wish 3 has a part as a cocky town marshal. The scenery of the countryside surrounding Sante Fe is quite breathtaking, and the DVD transfer makes it look even better than it did on cable. Most of the cowboys in this film are said to be former Confederate soldiers. Many still wear items from their old CSA uniforms. And there is talk of how Union soldiers raped and murdered Rourke's wife and daughters while he was off fighting. This is perhaps what made him such a hardened killer. This angle is likely inspired from Eastwood's Josey Wales character, though it is common knowledge that many of the Confederacy's more violent types headed west after the war since there was nothing left for them back home.

The film has some flaws, as it is not a true classic of the genre. Some of the action is truncated, and gunfights are often used simply to trim down the number of active characters so we the audience can hopefully keep up with them all. It looks like many of the horses on this set were perhaps treated pretty rough. Many stunts involve horses falling to the ground or having to climb treacherous hillsides. I just hope none were killed like they were on the set of Heaven's Gate. Also, Keith David's character was a bit out of place. Not because he's a black man with a bunch of former rebels, but because they have him trying to use voodoo bones to predict who will die next. Kind of dumb, unless they would have developed it more. The film's brief running time just probably didn't make deep characterization possible for everyone. And it must be said that there are some VERY graphic killings for a western. People don't just simply get shot and we see them fall off their horse from thirty feet away. Some guys get turned into goo!! Overall this is a fun, and diverting western. Probably a bit better than it deserves to be. 8 of 10 stars.

The Hound.
  • An interesting cast does their best, with some material borrowed from Peckinpaugh and Leone. We get the closeups, and the blood spurting slow motion, along with some genuine tension. Mickey Rourke's character is menacing in an almost mystical way. What is not so good is that one must suspend disbelief, when the posse makes Mickey Rourke their new leader, when men seem to take endless bloody gunshots with little effect, and the distracting, out of place use of four letter words. The scenery is stunning, camera work above average, along with some acceptable acting. I consider "The Last Outlaw" to be a slightly above average western. - MERK
  • The Last Outlaw

I don't think they could have got a better cast if they tried, you just have to look at the stars in this film to show that, Mickey Rourke, Steve Buscemi, Ted Levine, Keith David, John C. McKinley and the wasted Dermot Mulrony who a lot of western fans will remember him for one of his early roles as Dirty Steve in Young Guns. I saw this when it came out on video in the mid nineties and films that went straight to video back in the nineties were great like Surviving the Game, Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man etc and the Last outlaw was the same. The beginning of the film is a blatantly obvious homage to the beginning of Sam Peckinpah's The Wild Bunch where they rob the bank and the town's sheriff and his men are waiting for them to have a huge gun battle. But the film really starts when Dermot Mulrony shoot's the leader of the pack Graff (Mickey Rourke) for trying to execute one of there men and that's when the films suddenly becomes a revenge story. Of course Graff survives and is picked up by the posse hunting them down and instead and giving himself up he ends up offering the posse to actually be there leader and hunt down his own men for leaving his for dead. From there it's like a cat and mouse western which doesn't stop till the end credits and it really delves into the story of leadership. You have fine performances here from Mickey Rourke as the sadistic Graff but the films goes to Dermot Mulrony as the desperate Eustos who battles with thought of whether what he did was right as his men are picked off one by one. This film ain't no Good the Bad and the Ugly but it definitely bests any John Wayne film ever made (I'm an obvious John Wayne Hater).
  • Enjoyed the movie but was distracted everytime Mickey Rourke was on the screen. Why do people in Hollywood persist in having bad face-lifts? Not to be insulting but his character in this movie resembled 1980s pop music performers from androgynous pop and rock music bands. I kept thinking "What are Prince and the Revolution, and Michael Jackson doing in the Wild West."
  • Horrible script. No surprise considering writer's other credits. Mickey Rourke phones in a role as a cartoonish villain with distracting eyeliner. Ted Levine and Steve Buscemi commit their poorly written one dimensional roles. Cliché after cliché. Anyone over 14yrs. old who gave this a "10" must think pro wrestling is wicked awesome and wonder aloud after huffing whip-its why the Academy keeps snubbing Steven Segal.
    20 yrs. ago, this movie has been recommended to me as a cool, exciting Western, by the guy from a video store, a rental store (instead, it's trite and boring). Here, Rourke began what has become a series of villain roles ('Double Team', by Tsui Hark, 'Out in Fifty' by B. Christopher and S. Leet, 'Get Carter' by Kay, 'Picture Claire' by McDonald, 'Shergar' by Lewiston)—either thugs or sleazy gangsters. His appearance reminds of Brando's '60s follies. It's also his true first descent into trash.

By his glamor, Rourke always reminded more of Brando, than of Clift or Newman. Instead of the Leone movie, he got this valueless role as a bastard and mean officer.

And suddenly, there's his Asian, striking, outlandish, mean, undeserved look, as if he was playing an alien warlord, with his newfound burnout ugliness and pulp thug menace. From now on, there's no more about hijacking scripts, but about Rourke doing movies on his own, having it his own way, irrespective of what everyone else on the set is doing. His role here could as well fit into one of the cheap fantasy movies of the '80s, like 'The Beastmaster' by Coscarelli, or others.

Otherwise, 'The Last Outlaw' is worthless rubbish, with an annoying lead; I had already seen Dermot Mulroney in 'Bad Girls', and didn't like him.

Costner, Willis, Gibson, Gere, Hackman, Crowe, Depp did images of broadly Western types, from various epochs, in the '90s; Cruise didn't.
  • You can talk a lot about `The Last Outlaw', but each of you will have own opinion about it. The only thing I can say if you like this movie it'll become one of your most favorite films. Poor and simple plot, excessive bloodshed and absence of scenery won't be important for you in this case. If you don't like this movie you'll consider it to be one of the worst films in the world and you'll find fault with it. Another points of view don't exist.

As for me I think the main in `The Last Outlaw' is the glorious play of Mickey Rourke as colonel Graff. Nobody could play this character better than he could. I like how Graff manipulates situations and people around him without any efforts very much. I like to watch his play between life and death, I like to look at his face and dark eyes and learn to control the events as he, though I disapprove his choice of murderous way.

I wish those of you who hasn't watched this movie yet to see it without fail. But don't except neither special effects nor tricks and adventures. Simply watch, think and learn. Because the film is worth it. And I wish those of you who's already watched this movie but hasn't understood it to see it time and again. May be you'll discover a lot of new for and about yourself.

Liorelin
  • This is absolutely one of my favorit western movies. I have written earlier that i thought Young Guns and Tombstone was the best,but that was because i had not seen this one. In the lead role you'll find Mickey Rourke as Graff,and he was like made for this kind of movie.He is the perfect bad guy. The movie has also other famous actors like John C. McGinley and Steve Buscemi,but no one can match the incredible Mickey Rourke.

The story is about a gang of bank robbers in the wild west and after a while the gang starts to get tired of their leader Graff and decides to shot him after a job and leave him to die.Unnfortunantly for them Graff survives and are forced by the sherif and his menn to help to hunt down the gang.But no one knows that Graff has a plan of his own,to kill everybody and take off with the money.

This movie has a real western feel to it and all the actors play their role great.
  • What's with Mickey Rourke? He's like a cross between a bad imitation of Marlon Brando and Charlie Chan. This movie had so much potential with the great character actors in it. The script was deplorable. I've seen Saturday morning cartoons with more of a plausible story line.
  • philkundu12 May 2005
    Having never been the biggest Mickey Rourke fan and not entirely entirely familiar with Dermot Mulroney's work, i was skeptical about watching this movie. Needless to say, i got past my skepticism. The only complaint I have about this movie was Mickey Rourke's mustache (damn! what where they thinking?) The tension never really lets up throughout the movie. After a daring bank robbery the gang turns on their leader (rourke) and heads for Mexico, never quite sure if the posse is on their trail or not, and not quite sure of their new leader (mulroney.) To call this movie a "thriller" would go to far but if there was ever a "western-thriller-type-movie" then this is it. The whole movie has a very dark overcast, very well put together, and very well written.

P.S. anybody seen THE WILD BUNCH lately?
  • When I first saw this movie I thought "what is Mickey Rourke doing making himself look slightly homosexual as a cowboy outlaw"!!? As I watched the movie though, it didn't matter how he looked, he was deadly. Probably the only criminal cowboy who could get away with that "dandy" look. I thought that the entire cast was great in their own parts, but once again, as with every movie he is in, Mickey Rourke stood out. It was back in the day, when I chanced upon watching "Rumble Fish", with Matt Dillon, Dennis Hopper, and (my then personal favorite), William Smith, that I noticed the Motorcycle Boy. He stole that movie, no problem. From then on out, it was because of Mickey Rourke that I watched any movie he was listed in. He is like the greatest American actor EVER.
  • In this movie I saw at least 10 actors whom I've seen in other movies, (6 of whom I also knew by name) and my memories of most of them were pretty good.. when I read the cast-list for this movie I thought: "WOW, MAN!...this ROCKS!" - so I decided to see this so-called "Exciting Western"... And boy, was I disappointed...words cannot express my feelings of misery after watching this load of meaningless carnage... All these excellent actors, with all that potential, and what are they given?... a handful of cliché-lines, and a bullet in the head (or some other place where blood can spurt out in a ghastly way).

Well, Mickey Rourke did a nice enough job...he portrayed this heinous criminal very well, and did all he could do with this ridiculous script..

Dermot Mulroney did a much better job in "Young Guns", but was somewhat believable in this role too...very sympathetic guy. Steve Buscemi...aw, man... my favorite actor in this almost-star cast... I can just say: "WHY??" - I thought his character had some interesting background-information (wearing a northern state-army hat), but we never get a chance to know his character before he "exits" in a quite disturbing fashion.. (even though I saw it coming when he started to talk about his "Hacienda" and his future plans, etc). Keith David, a cool guy, but not such a lovely character....I didn't understand what the hell happened to him... his departure was a mystery.... I also thought he was better in "the Quick and the Dead". John C. McGinley, I've always liked this guy...but he doesn't make sense in this movie either.. why does he have to be a 'knife-man'... when he NEVER even uses the knife for anything, other than accidentally cutting himself...and the 'traitor'-part...money out of the window? such a stupid script.. All the others are great actors, but they're all totally wasted in this feeble adventure... the sheriff, the banker, the possé, EVERYONE gets it...except...well, you figure it out for yourself.

But in some sense, I still liked it, because of the great locations, and some good scenes (where people die, of course)... They probably won't make a sequel to this, but a PREQUEL would certainly kick more ass than this did!..a movie where the gang of these intriguing characters go berserk and raid banks and stuff, and how we get to see their development, etc.

I give this 5/10, because....well, because I liked the cast, and gore is always somewhat entertaining.. and cowboys are so rugged and cool!
  • This film is not too bad, but the most annoying things about it are:

Mickey Rourke's makeup and wardrobe. His stupid Fu Manchu mustache is so out-of-place. His big, floppy hat, along with it, doesn't help, and at times, he's dressed in way too many layers of clothes for the hot, summer plains...which makes him appear heavy, uncomfortable, and ridiculous.

Secondly, the final scene is WAY too short, truncated, and unbelievable.....it's almost laughable, especially after the way the scenes before it were so action-packed.

Still, Rourke and Mulroney are good in their roles and fun to watch. Let's face it....Rourke is the quintessential bad guy!
    "Gee? Which way should we go?" "How many bullets did you say we had?" "Lets stop again since we are being chased." Yes, I am making fun of this movie. Why might you ask? For the simple reason that this film was far from being serious. Ok, we are never fully introduced to the 7 men in the gang to begin with. We get a small intro to some of the men but we never understand not are we identified with who they are. With that, it makes it hard to feel anything for these make believe "cowboys". Then, the plot of the story is one dragged on chase scene that has no ending. Watching this film, you search for an reason what so ever when you ask yourself why they are doing what they end up doing. The biggest question is why the law didn't kill Graff once they came upon the men at the hill? They kept Graff alive for the main reason of finding the men. Oh no, instead they keep him alive for no reason except to have him tag along. that makes tons of sense. Then again, the rest of the film had no major point. I feel bad since the only good acting in the movie came from Steve Buscemi and he is the first one to get it by Graff. Long story short, leave this one on the video shelf for the next sucker to come along.
  • jasperjonesk17 July 2019
    This flick was moderately entertaining. Another goof was at about 1 hour into the film. Rourke is stuffing the big straight walled .45-70 cartridges into his rifle as he chews up one of his hapless prey. For just a half second you can see the head stamp on the cartridge. It is manufactured by R P, or Remington Peter's. Well the movie is set in 1873 but Remington Peter's did not exist prior to 1887. Nice try though.
  • matnt24 April 1999
    This is surely one of the best westerns, if not the best itself. The movie has quite enough action, but the story is excellent. How the leader of the gang, chasing his men killing 'em one by each, without a regret. It's just like a game to him. For role to be better, that's why Mickey Rourke is here, and the other outlaws are played by quite good and known actors, and music is well cared off. Anyhow, this movie is really worthy of seeing.
  • johnng457 August 2002
    It's a bad film I've ever seen !!!!!!!What happened with Mickey ? It's just a bloody story with some guys shooting !!!! And I think Mickey is a real Devil & Dermot Mulroney is not a leader,I want to say he did the wrong thing. If he's good leader,people should 100% trust him,but some of them want to kill him for living. 5/10 is a sensible marks !!!!!!
  • For a long time - since I first saw it way back when - I thought Steven Spielberg's "Duel" the best made-for-TV movie ever. Not anymore.

The cinematography by Conroy pushes this way beyond the "Duel" envelope. It is magnificent, accomplishing everything for the television format that one would expect from wide-screen. But it is well supported by a generally tight and able script and direction and great performances by all the actors involved.

This is a taught "thriller" Western, rather than a rehash of old conventions. The film opens with nods of respect to "The Wild Bunch" and Hill's "The Long Riders," but then establishes itself as its own study in the demoralization of men of violence. There is no right or wrong in this story, in the last analysis, only the struggle for survival, and a final contest between two strong men.

A brutal yet thoughtful presentation of such a struggle, leaving some questions to the audience for answer; but again, the highest marks go to the cinematography, and the editing that enhances it. This is a gorgeous film, visually, despite its troubling content.
  • davejp4 March 2003
    Not having seen a western for some years (except of course John Wayne)I found this to be a refreshing change from the white and black stetsons. Nicely gory but some of the best actors (John C. McGinley, Steve Buschemi) were woefully under used. Verdict a decent move that doesn't require a shed load of concentration. 7/10.
  • Lots of twists and turns. Great cast. It's hard to believe this was a TV movie. Plenty of gun fights and storyline twists. Grab your popcorn, this one holds your attention to the end.
  • This movie was excellent not for it's historical accuracy but for an entertaining experience with good acting by all. I found this movie moving, exciting, rousing, and imaginative. There is enough action throughout to keep anyone satisfied. This is a must see movie for all fans of western movies. This is a taught Western, rather than a rehash of old conventions. The film established itself as its own study in the demoralization of men of violence. There is no right or wrong in this story, in the last analysis, only the struggle for survival, and a final contest between two strong men. A brutal yet thoughtful presentation of such a struggle, leaving some questions to the audience for answer. The highest marks go to the cinematography, and the editing that enhances it. This is a gorgeous film, visually, despite its troubling content.This movie is Enjoyable and i would encourage others to watch it too.
  • The Last Outlaw is a revenge themed western written by Eric Red, and if you're at all familiar with his other works (he also penned The Hitcher and Near Dark), you'll have some idea of how bloody and intense it is. It's a smile story populated by hard bitten, gruff sons of bitches, and the violence comes fast and hard from all directions as soon as a few backs are stabbed, and several ravenous tempers ignited. Often in westerns the violence is clipped and minimal, the damage which a six gun does to flesh oddly shirked in favour of theatricality. This one has no use for that, and messily displays exactly what such a weapon does to people, repeatedly and with no discretion. It's rough, gritty, Walter Hill style stuff, with not a trace of levity, smash or buckle, and every character kicking up dirt and anger the whole time. The film opens with a daring bank robbery, executed by former civil war Colonel Graff (Mickey Rourke), and his brutal gang. Their victory turns sour when mutiny looms among them in the form of Graff's second in command, Eustos (Dermot Mulroney). He can't abide by Graff's sadistic methods, and bitterly betrays him. The rest is a bullet ridden cat and mouse game in the dusty deserts and shanty towns of the southwest, as the bodies pile up and the blood spatters in the dirt time and time again. Rourke is an implosive, grade A dickhead as Graff, a man less concerned with the fruits of his labor and more driven by the desire to exact violent retribution. One wonders if that's what he's in the game for anyway, to bide his time until something goes amiss, and the revel in the carnage. The supporting cast is just epic, with work from Steve Buscemi, Ted Levine, Paul Ben Victor, Richard Fancy, John C. McGinley and Keith David. It's essentially one big stylish bloodbath, a pulpy ride through the gutter of arrogant machismo. Terrific fun, if that's your thing.
    It's actually the best TV western I have ever seen. That doesn't mean that there are not other films like this anywhere, but I have never seen an acceptable TV western, from the sixties, seventies or even nineties. But this feature remains worth watching: good action sequences, interesting characters, bloody violence too. Of course, any western buff could point tout that Eric Red, the screen writer, may have been "inspired" by films such as WILD BUNCH, LONG RIDERS or even HUNTING PARTY - no one has talked about this film, concerning LAST OUTLAW.

Anyway, yes, I recommend it for any one interested in westerns who could get bored with all the TV movies shown these last decades.

Mickey Rourke gives here a awesome performance.
  • The Last Outlaw, definitely one of my all time favorite western movie. This great production was make possible by the filmmaker of the original The Hitcher.

It's was those day when HBO make incredible TV movies with amazing cast members. In this case with Mickey Rourke the star of The Wrestler and Dermot Mulroney who work on My Best Friend's Wedding (Special Edition). The story is really good with a great memorable villain play by Mickey Rourke how steals show from the fist minute he is on screen.

What's make this western movie different from others movies? I describe it as a western movie mix with a strategy war game chess and a lot psychological twist. It's definitive a must see and one of the best HBO Films.