User Reviews (764)

• Kristine31 October 2003
    One of my favorite movies of all time!
    Seriously, I know that sounds stupid as this is an animated movie, but why can't we have a favorite movie that's animated? If you ask me this is Disney's best animated film of all time. Why do you ask? The animation is just beautiful, the story is powerful and moving, the characters are terrific, the villain is one of Disney's most monstrous and the songs are out of this world incredible! Not only is it my favorite animated movie, this is one of my favorite soundtracks, with the strong power of Elton John The Lion King is absolutely beautiful and a pleasure to watch still to this day. I have to say also that this story is just so beautiful, it's still one of the movies that will always bring a tear to my eye. When I was 17 years old, I begged my dad to take me to the re-release of The Lion King, him and I being the only adults besides the parents who took their children to see the movie, Simba's father dies and I started balling! My dad looks around and said "Krissy, stop it!" and I just said "But it's so saaaaad! Simba's daddy!", yes I'm a sap, I can't help it, this is a powerful movie.

In the Pride Lands, Rafiki, a wise old monkey, anoints Simba, the newborn cub of King Mufasa and Queen Sarabi, and presents him to a gathering of animals at Pride Rock. Taking advantage of the cub's naive nature, Simba's scheming uncle Scar, who is very angry because Simba's birth means that he's no longer next in line to the throne tells him about the elephant graveyard, a place where Mufasa has forbidden Simba to go. Simba asks his mother if he can go to the water-hole with his best friend, Nala, but they go to the graveyard instead. There, the cubs are met by Shenzi, Banzai and Ed, 3 hyenas who try to kill them, but they are rescued by Mufasa. But Scar doesn't give up there, he lures Simba into a gorge for a "surprise from his father" while the hyenas create a wildebeest stampede. Alerted by Scar, Mufasa races to rescue Simba from the stampede. He saves his son but is left clinging to the edge of a steep cliff. Scar flings his brother into the stampede below. Simba sees his father fall and rushes down the cliff after him, only to find him dead. Scar convinces Simba that he was responsible for his father's death and recommends that he runs away from the Pride Lands to avoid punishment. In a distant desert, Simba is found unconscious by Timon and Pumbaa, a duo who adopt and raise the cub under their worry-free philosophy, Hakuna Matata. When Simba has grown into an adult he is discovered by Nala, who tells him that Scar, through his irresponsibility, has turned the Pride Lands into a barren wasteland. She asks Simba to return and take his place as king but Simba refuses, still believing he caused his father's death. Rafiki arrives and persuades Simba to return to the Pride Lands, and face Scar once and for all.

I know that still that Beauty and the Beast is the only animated film to get a best picture nomination, but I don't understand why The Lion King didn't get the same treatment. I adore this film with such a passion, I will always defend it to the high end. I still watch this movie, ever since it's theatrical release in 1994, I still sing, dance, and rehears the lines back and forth. How could you not at least with Hakuna Matata? Timon is my idol, he's so care free, funny, and awesome during his drag hula scene… "Luau! If you're hungry for a hunk of fat and juicy meat, eat my buddy Pumbaa here, 'cause he's a tasty treat come on down and dine, on this tasty swine, all you gotta is get in line, are you achin',? For some bacon? He's a big pig. You can be a big pig, too. Oy!… Ahhhh!", best scene ever in film history! OK, not in history, but one of my favorites, it always has me on the floor laughing till my stomach hurts. If you seriously haven't seen this movie, see it! Who said that animated movies can't be true art? The Lion King is a fantastic film and deserves all it's praise and more.

• claudonio20 January 2000
    A Film For All Ages
    This is a film that can entertain anyone young or old, I usually don't care for animated movies but this film is the real deal, this is one of disney's best animated movies. The animation is top notch and flawless. This film also features superb work from the vocal cast James Earl Jones, Jeremy Irons, Whoopi Goldberg. This is a standout.
  • miadarlingtxn23 August 2017
    great film
    this was, and still is,a great movie I love it, and hope that everyone gets to experience it for themselves, I've watched it many times and it is always good no matter how many times you have seen it,the songs are great and so are all the characters and the story is incredible, great for all ages and I really recommend it to anyone who hasn't already watched it.
  • gdswalia10 May 2005
    The best Disney animated film ever...
    The best Disney animated film ever...This film had it all, it was funny, emotional, had family drama, and above all, great animation and songs! My personal favorite character is Rafiki, the Baboon! I still cant forget the line he says to Simbe, "Past can hurt, but as I see it, you can either run from it, or learn from it!" it is so true! i loved Zazu's weirdness, and shenzi's humor, above all, i loved Pumba's innocence and Timon's intelligence! In short, i found the film the best film ever... The voice cast is also great. Mathew did complete justice to Simba, and what can I say about Mufasa, He is the best King, and dad anyone can ever get! The movie is not meant for kids, its meant to teach every adult a lesson...to find our place in the great "Circle Of Life". I give this film a perfect 10.
  • MisterWhiplash1 January 2000
    The Best Animated Film I Have Ever Seen
    The Lion King is a great film. Along with a great story (inspired by William Shakespeare's Hamlet), terrific animation, and an all star cast of voices, there are the lessons that are learned from this film (despite being a little rough for the younger children). Like responsibility and honor.

I rank this animated film among the great films I have ever seen. It was part of my childhood and it is a film experience I will never forget. And hopefully, you won't either. A++
  • Maintenance_Guys7 August 2006
    This is what kid's movies should be like...
    I find it hard to believe that kid's movies these days will ever be called classics in years to come (excluding Pixar movies). In my mind, this is the last classic hand drawn film, and it upsets me that I have to wait for another five years for it to come out on DVD. This film deals with great issues and involves a huge conflict for the main character, something that recent kid/family films lack. It is funny and lighthearted when it should be, and heartfelt and serious when it needs it. I believe that everybody should see this movie, regardless of your age. It may just be the last good movie that Disney will ever do without the help of Pixar.
  • Hermione Granger28 August 2017
    Incredible, amazing, powerful, exciting, except for Simba's adult voice...
    I was sick of of seeing this everywhere and it being everyone's favorite, but I watched it anyway and have have to admit, it is a great movie. Great. All over. From the animation (which was GORGEOUS with its vivid colors and details) to songs to characters, I love it. It's a masterpiece and one of Disney's greatest animated movies. The characters were engaging, songs catchy, plot captivating, and action exciting, even though it's cartoon. I loved how some of the action was in slow motion. Each of the characters are unique and important, all of them interesting and distinguished from one another.

There's one thing that bugged me, though. I love Simba, but the person who voiced grown-up Simba didn't do a very good job. For a little while--not the whole movie, but at first--he sounds nonchalant and casual, without any emotion or care, and it's not just because of Hakuna Matata, no worries. His voice seems bland. The emotion on Simba's face doesn't do enough; the person has to put emotion into the character's voice. After hearing it for a little while, I managed to adjust to it. The boy who voiced cub Simba did a perfect job, though; he was so likable and cute!

This movie is incredible and definitely worth watching, purchasing, keeping, and watching again. I just wish the person who voiced Simba had done a better job and that the live-action (or live-animation, really) version doesn't ruin it.
  • tfrizzell3 July 2002
    So Good in So Many Ways.
    Outstanding animated feature from Disney that sports outstanding songs by Elton John, a compelling story and first-class animation. Young lion cub Simba is to be king, but he leaves after he believes he was the reason for his father's death (of course this is not so). As he grows up, he goes on a journey of love, friendship and discovery which will lead him back to his rightful place in the world. Excellent. 5 stars out of 5.
  • Dontcallmekeys21 July 2005
    A Timeless Film
    Ah..."The Lion King." There's so much I can say about this movie but all my comments always come down to one thing: this movie is beautiful. Pure genius. A timeless story. I might be a little biased in my beliefs, seeing as the first movie I remember seeing in theatres is "The Lion King" and I still watch it on a regular basis and know all the words but I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who agree with what I have to say. "The Lion King" is beautiful; hands down, it is the best Disney film ever created.

The story is something that everyone can relate to, whether they are a lion ;) or not. Simba is destined to become king one day and just can't wait to rule the throne; everyone can relate to wanting to grow up and become an adult, to do whatever they want and not have to worry about anything. His father tries to teach him that, despite the fact that he will one day be grown and king, his life will not be easy. Simba has to learn his lesson the hard way when his Uncle Scar, who, too, wants the throne, kills his father and convinces Simba that it was his fault. Suddenly, growing up doesn't seem so great anymore (I can *really* relate to that).

And so, Simba flees his home and comes across Timon and Pumbaa, two other outcasts. They teach Simba the "Hakuna Matata" lifestyle, something that idealizes a life free of stress, worry and responsibility. Now, don't we all wish we could live this way? No worries for the rest of our days... But when Simba's childhood friend Nala returns, he realizes that he can't live Hakuna Matata forever, for he does have a responsibility to his pride and his homeland. Simba understands that he must grow up, as we all do, and does what's right.

The songs are catchy and fit the movie well (the original songs, of course, though "The Morning Report" isn't too bad) and the score is haunting and beautiful. Along with the art work, the music captures the heart of Africa.

With the types of shows that children watch these days (boy, doesn't that make me sound old?), it's a wonder they'll learn in virtues and values at all. "The Lion King" is a great teacher when it comes to learning lessons that will carry throughout their lifetime. "The Lion King" teaches children that it's all right to be a kid but you must understand and accept responsibility for things you can and cannot control. Everyone has a place in The Circle of Life and we must find it; the film also teaches that we will encounter bad and even terrible things during our lifetime but we must accept them and move on. These are important, meaningful lessons; heck, I even used them in my SAT essay! "The Lion King" is a film for every generation and is a powerful film that all children should see. I'm past my childhood now and I still watch it whenever I get the chance; I look forward to sharing it with my children.

A timeless film!
  • David_l_s21 December 2005
    TLK is Great
    I watched the film today and I have come to the conclusion that this Disney film is one classic that will keep on delivering to Disney fans like myself...TLK is a wonderful film with great characters and songs with a powerful message that you can always find your way back no matter how hard the journey...

I think The Lion King is one of the best Disney animated films matching with the power of Bambi and Brother Bear.

I love how Disney Works hard to deliver the best in Animation,Song,And Magic

I do believe that 2006 and many years from now The Lion King will Shine and still Roar with Success...

Thank-You Disney For The Lion King
  • SlyGuy2121 August 2017
    My all-time favorite animated movie
    This isn't just the perfect animated movie, it's a perfect reflection of my own life. As strange as it sounds, when I watch this, I don't just see animated animals on screen, I see my life as well. The first half of the movie appeals to my childhood, it's fun, but when Mufasa dies, it brings back memories of my own life. My father died when I was really young, and just like Simba, it hit me pretty hard. I had trouble accepting responsibility for years and years. I kept running from responsibility, putting off learning to drive and even getting a job.

But like the second half of the movie, I learned that one of, if not the most important thing about growing up is accepting responsibility. I'm now in my early 20s and attending college, I also learned how to drive and I have a job as well. I can't think of a better message a film can teach than this. That sometimes bad things happen, and you can't do anything about it, but just because you can't prevent it, doesn't mean you can let it control you. You have to move on, and accept responsibility. Don't let the past control you, don't run from it, learn from it. It's a message I try to live by everyday. Everything about this movie is perfect, it's one of the very few movies I would call "flawless". The characters are great, all of the songs are fantastic, the animation is timeless, it literally hasn't aged a day since it came out.

There isn't a single negative thing I can say about this masterpiece. It makes me want to be a better person, it keeps reminding me to be responsible, it's funny, beautiful, dark, it is everything I want in an animated movie. There is nothing more I can ask of an animated movie than this. The greatest animated movie I have ever seen, and well deserving of being in my Top 10.
  • Special-K8814 March 2002
    simply a wonderful, heartfelt tale for all ages
    Delightful animated feature from Walt Disney Pictures about a naive young lion cub destined for greatness. Born the son of a beloved and authoritative king he's groomed to be the next ruler of the kingdom, but along the way he encounters tragic detours at the hands of his villainous uncle and scheming hyena henchmen. Years later—as an adult—he decides to embrace his destiny and take his proper place in the Circle of Life. Warm, intelligent, laugh-out loud funny film is a triumph in every aspect; unforgettable songs, snappy dialogue, remarkable animation, and a stellar cast of voices make this a treat for all ages. A rousing adventure that you can enjoy again and again, and arguably one of the finest animated films ever made. ****
  • suicune_tudor28 November 2005
    A living masterpiece
    This is truly one of the best Disney movies ever. I really enjoyed it when I first seen it, about when I was 6, and since then I watched it over and over again. I simply LOOOOVED the music. It's one of the best soundtracks I've ever heard. And, speaking of soundtrack, I just can't tell in words how much I love the song "Can You Feel The Love Tonight". Is one of my favorite songs ever. I truly believe that this motion picture could easily be nominated for The Best Picture, but The Best Song and the Best Original Score is really enough. I wonder if they will ever think to make a prequel of this movie in order to understand who is Mufasa, Scar, Sarabi and the other characters. In short, this movie will be remembered in the next 100 years. Truly.
  • Dipto Hakuna Matata16 July 2017
    Its a 10
    "The best movie I ever watched in any form or any in language".

No, I am not exaggerating! It is the best movie ever, whether in human form or in animated. I can't find a single flaw in The Lion King (1994). Someone could argue that the story is not original, Disney just twisted it. Someone could also argue that i didn't watch that much of movies to judge "The Best Ever" but as I said, this the best movie I ever saw. The story is nice and free flowing and without any unnecessary bumpers. One can not recognized the voices behind the characters, because the characters are so prominent. Music! Let me say I am not very fond of English pop songs, but I could hum almost most of the songs of this movie, so I would say, music is that nice. Animation is superb, landscapes are eye catching, dialogues are sharp and comedy is at its best. What more might I say?

Beside everything, you can say how crazy I am about this movie by my name.

Enjoy the movie, don't leave the seat. Hakuna Matata!
  • chadgeri22 April 2002
    By far, the greatest Disney movie ever made...
    This movie is, quite seriously, the Citizen Kane of Disney animation. Every animated movie from Disney ever since has been a failed attempt to recreate the masterpiece that this film is. This movie is an anomaly in a market usually dominated by formulaic kiddie-fare. Unlike most films from animation studios, this movie will enthrall you, whether you're 5 years old, or 50. An epic plot, intriguing characters, great music and hillarious moments make this film a family classic that will endure through the ages. 10/10
  • movieguy102128 December 2002
    The Lion King: 9/10
    Released Christmas Day in 2002 to IMAX and large format screens, The Lion King makes a triumphant return to the screen after eight years. Its every bit as majestic and great as it has been before.

The Lion King Mufasa (James Earl Jones) just had a baby cub named Simba. All of the animals come to the ceremony, except for Mufasa's brother Scar (Jeremy Irons). Scar desperately wants to be King, but can't. As long as Mufasa and Simba are there. Soon Simba is able to walk and talk and is voiced by Jonathon Taylor Thomas. After hearing about an elephant graveyard from Scar, he and his friend Nala (Niketa Calame) visit it. They meet three bumbling hyenas: Banzai (Cheech Marin), Shenzi (Whoopi Goldberg), and Ed (Jim Cummings), but they manage to leave unhurt. Scar is upset that the hyenas didn't do the job, so he orders a stampede to wipe out both of them, but it only takes care of Mufasa. Scar convinces Simba that he killed Mufasa, not Scar. So Simba flees into exile.

The Lion King really benefits from the larger screen. Its lavish landscapes will be able to capture you more, and you can really savor the animation. Disney didn't need any humans, so they could spend all of the time on a great story and lush landscapes. In fact, its camera movement was so majestic that you actually felt like you were part of the pride of lions.

The music boomed and really created the atmosphere. Although I had seen this picture before, I still was tense because of the way the music played out. Most of the time, I would just roll my eyes at the attempt to make me nervous. But Hans Zimmer's music really bowled me over and made my heart do calisthenics. Unlike such new Disney pics like Lilo and Stitch, the songs actually did some good. They took you out of a somewhat dreary mood and put a smile on your face and made your feet want to tap along. There were only a few, but they were very entertaining. And the Circle of Life song at the beginning was beautiful, with its perfect pictures and perfect sound.

I really like James Earl Jones (he's pretty diverse), and this time was no exception. He seemed to act like he didn't want to do this role, but he couldn't contain his excitement for wanting to do voice-overs again (he had done some work in The Simpsons before). Matthew Broderick redeemed himself for me (after the atrocious Ferris Bueller's Day Off) by showing a strong voicing as the adult Simba. Cheech Marin, Whoopi Goldberg, and Jim Cummings really had good chemistry together, even though they didn't have much screen time. Irons was really good and creepy as Scar (one of those who you can't help but hate), and if that is him really singing, brava!

Be warned, The Lion King isn't really for youngsters. It had intense thematic elements that should have warranted a PG, instead of those that don't deserve it (Lilo and Stitch, again). The mood that the music and the script brought out could damper your day, so be warned.

This is one movie where you can feel for the characters. You don't say `haha, he's dead', you say `Gasp! I'm so sad!' If it weren't for the gifted scriptwriters, this movie would be kaput and a nothing, not the best Disney movie ever made.

The Lion King is a majestic movie, not without humor, that is for almost all to see.

My rating: 9/10

Rated G for intense thematic elements.
  • Sven6 June 2005
    Even after 11 Years, it's still the King.
    I first saw The Lion King in 1994, when I was 8 years old. Ever since then, I have seen it at least 100 times. I have seen it at least that much because I watched it once every week for almost a year and a half.

Recently, I became interested in it again, after having seen The Lion King 3 (or 1,5 if you prefer). It kind of surprised me how I was still intrigued and impressed by the whole thing. It was a magical experience that was almost as good as the very first time (I hadn't seen it in years).

Everything about The Lion King is so good, that I can watch it over and over again, just like in the old days. The story begins light-hearted and it has a very nice and fun atmosphere. Very stereotypical characters, as always with Disney, but ever so unique in their own way. As the story progresses, it gets very serious, dramatic and sad as well, I actually cried when I saw it the first time (hey, I was 8, give me a break).

Then two of the greatest characters in the history of Disney cartoons get introduced. Timon & Pumbaa set a new height considering comedy in cartoons. Again, very stereotypical, but unique in their own way (I loved Lion King 3 because of them).

Another thing I absolutely love about this is the awesome music in it. When I was young I didn't pay attention to it as much as I do now, but the music adds so much to the whole movie.

It was very obvious, even from just the intro alone, that Disney worked very hard on this masterpiece. I will definitely never forget The Lion King. I still watch it occasionally and I've never been bored.

That's another thing I like about this: the songs. Every major Disney picture has a few songs in it and most of the time they are very memorable. It's the same story here, the songs are very memorable and overall just brilliant. "Circle of Life" and "Can't Wait to be King" will always have a special place in my heart.

I knew the entire script of the Dutch dubbed version when I was young, having seen it so many times. Kind of pathetic, I know, but I liked it that much. Still do.

The King among Disney Cartoons for me.
  • robineve17 November 2005
    this movie is great!!
    I think think this film is excellent and nothing can ever relate to it. I will love this movie my whole life i know i will!! Its great :)

The music, the sounds, the characters,the whole movie is great. Its definitely great for kids and it always will be this movie will never grow old. People will still like it when they are 60+. I bet there are people sixty and over who do love this movie.. I am glad that i grew up with this movie its great and i just have to say fare play to the directer i love it!!! I am happy i found this sight i think it is great it give the public a chance to see how there favorite movie is rated by people all over the world. And i think it is excellent the public is aloud to vote!
  • MaPMoT8 September 2013
    They don't make movies like that anymore
    That was the first movie I've ever watched in a cinema. I was a kid and I remember crying while watching - I was in love with the characters and I was feeling them. They felt so real to me. Now... actually, as a grown person, now is the same. Characters are so believable and so realistic. Watching the movie as an adult brings a whole new meaning. The good and the bad characters from the movie are like the people I meet everyday in real life. The story is full of morals which I think are really important for young kids these days. I think that The Lion King is a must for every child and adult! With it's characters and plot, it can really move you and the kids might actually learn something from it. It is far better than modern cartoons full of meaningless action and dialogue.
  • moviesleuth29 August 2009
    A dazzling, joyous piece of film-making
    Of all the animation classics from the Walt Disney Company, there is perhaps none that is more celebrated than "The Lion King." Its acclaim is understandable: this is quite simply a glorious work of art.

"The Lion King" gets off to a fantastic start. The film's opening number, "The Circle of Life," is outstanding. The song lasts for about four minutes, but from the first sound, the audience is floored. Not even National Geographic can capture something this beautiful and dramatic. Not only is this easily the greatest moment in film animation, this is one of the greatest sequences in film history.

The story that follows is not as majestic, but the film has to tell a story. Actually, the rest of the film holds up quite well. The story takes place in Africa, where the lions rule. Their king, Mufasa (James Earl Jones) has just been blessed with a son, Simba (Jonathan Taylor Thomas), who goes in front of his uncle Scar (Jeremy Irons) as next in line for the throne. Scar is furious, and sets in motion plans to usurp the throne for himself. After a tragedy occurs and Mufasa is killed, Scar persuades Simba to flee, leaving himself as king. Simba grows up in exile, but he learns that while he can run away from his past, he can never escape it.

When viewing the film, it is obvious that "The Lion King" is quite different from its predecessors (and successors). This is an epic story that contains more dramatic power than all the other Disney films combined. While there are definitely some light-hearted moments, there is no denying the dark drama that takes up the bulk of the story. While it could be argued that Disney is the champion of family entertainment, this film is not for the very young. Some of the sequences are very dark and violent, many bordering on frightening, even for the older crowd.

The voice actors are terrific. Jonathan Taylor Thomas brings a large dose of innocence to Young Simba. He's mischievous, but also terribly naive. His older counterpart, voiced by Matthew Broderick, equals him. He's older, but no less mature. The voices are so similar that it's almost impossible not to believe that they are the same character at different ages. Perhaps no one could have been better suited for the role of Mufasa than James Earl Jones. His baritone voice gives the Mufasa a quality of great power and wisdom; there is no question that his role is king. As Scar, Jeremy Irons is pitch-perfect. The drawing of the character is villainous, but Irons' vocal work complements the animation to create one of the most memorable, and vicious, villains in Disney history. He's unquestionably evil, but he's also clever, which makes him all the more dangerous. Manipulation, not violence is his greatest weapon. Providing some much needed comic relief are Nathan Lane and Ernie Sabella as Timon and Pumbaa, two other outcasts (a meerkat and a warthog), and Rowan Atkinson as Zazu. While there is definite fun from these characters, neither the actors nor the filmmakers allow them to go over-the-top and destroy the mood of the film.

Disney's animated features are known for their gorgeous artwork. Nowhere is this more apparent than in "The Lion King." Every single frame is jaw-dropping. The colors are rich, and the drawings are sharp and beautiful. One of the pitfalls of animation (both computer and hand-drawn) is that there is sometimes a visible distance between the subject and the background, making it seem as if the figure animation was cut and pasted on the background (this is obviously what happens, but it is up to the artists to make sure that it isn't noticeable). There is none of that here.

Throughout the Golden Age of Disney animation, the films have been musicals. "The Lion King" is no different, and the songs are brilliant. All of the numbers are standouts ("Can You Feel the Love Tonight" won the Oscar, but in my opinion, "The Circle of Life" was better). In the cases of Simba and Nala (Simba's girlfriend), both young and old, there is a noticeable difference between the speaking and singing parts (everyone else does their own singing and speaking), but never mind. It still works, and that's what's important.

"The Lion King" is not flawless, but on first viewing, they aren't noticeable, and it is likely that the young won't ever notice them. "Beauty and the Beast" was the first animated film to get an Oscar nomination for Best Picture (it lost to "The Silence of the Lambs"), and is thus far the only animated film to receive such an honor. That being the case, it's hard to understand why "The Lion King" was not given the same distinction. The two films are more or less equal in quality, and the nominees for the honor that year were not strong.

If you haven't already, see "The Lion King." You won't be disappointed.
  • Benjamin Black15 June 2014
    You Are More Than What You Have Become
    So...I'm going to try not to be too biased here...I'm going to compose myself the best I can...But, I'm not going to lie, that's going to be really hard seeing as though I AM IN LOVE WITH THIS MOVIE!!! I know a lot of people say this film is overrated and all that jazz, but LOOK AT THIS FILM and tell me you don't love it too!

ANIMATION: Spectacular! This movie looks great! Of course it has an epic, grand quality about it, and the animation really takes it to another level! The stampede scene has got to be one of the biggest scenes ever put to traditional animation!

SONGS/MUSIC: This movie brings us the Tim Rice/Elton John team. Even though there's no Alan Menken or Howard Ashman, these songs are still great! They fit the movie's tone, they're not out of place, and they are ALL memorable! This Disney movie has the best soundtrack - there is no Number One hit song from this film - ALL the songs are Number One! I don't just love the songs, but I am in mad love with Hans Zimmer's score! It's beautiful! It tells the story and fits the mood perfectly! The main theme, "Lea Halalela," is fan-frickin-tastic! Gosh, if that theme were a woman, I'd marry her! But the music is what takes us to Africa (which country are we in? I don't know...), and if it weren't for Lebo M's contributions, NO music in this movie would be great!

ROMANCE: For as much as I love this movie, I have to admit that this is one of the weak aspects of the film. I love the "Can You Feel the Love Tonight" number; I love the song, and I love looking at the animation. But...why is the song here? Why is this scene here? First of all, it doesn't match the story at all. It feels like the scene takes place because...Disney movies have romance scenes! Secondly, I don't believe Simba and Nala are in love. Look at how other Disney films show love: characters are smiling, singing, happy, and would do anything to be with their romantic interest. Here, Simba and Nala are arguing and yelling at each other after the scene. I'll tell you what, though, if you look at Nala as she's laying on her back during the song number, look at how she looks at Simba. That says, "I want you, lion man."

CHARACTERS: I am in love with these characters! Much like the "Beauty and the Beast" gang, there's not a person...or animal...in this movie I don't dislike! My two favorite characters are Mufasa and Rafiki. Mufasa wreaks of power! The reason we hate Scar so much is because he kills Mufasa, who we love so much! He is the father of Disney movie fathers - Disney fathers period! He says one of my favorite lines: "Look inside yourself, Simba. You are more than what you have become." OOOH, that line just OOZES power - just BLEEDS power!!! Rafiki is awesome because he is both funny and wise. He knows just what to say and just what to do for the right moment. He has funny lines like "It means you are a baboon, and I am not!" Yet he knows when to hit Simba over the head with a stick and tell him to learn from his mistakes. Go Rafiki!

STORY: I think the story is excellent. I love watching it, I love watching Simba's arc, I think it is brilliant...Though, there's one other problem the movie has that lies in the story. After Mufasa dies and Simba cries over his body, Scar comes and tells him to run away. Question: if they're all alone, why doesn't Scar just kill Simba himself? At first I thought it was because he didn't want Simba's blood on his hands, but that can't be right. First of all, he has Mufasa's blood on his hands. Second of all, he has a violent fight with Simba at the end of the movie. If Scar wants the throne so badly that he puts together an attack against two children, a Nazi team of hyenas, and a wildebeest stampede, I don't think he was above killing a child. The movie could have been over just like that; why didn't he kill Simba? The only reason I can come up with is "If he killed him, there'd be no movie." Well, that's weak. If that's the case, then the movie didn't need to happen. We should have gotten a better reason for the following events that took place.

CONCLUSION: Despite the two problems I have with the movie, I still adore it! It's epic, it's dramatic, it's funny, it's musical! It is large! It has one of the saddest moments ever in Disney. It is one of the studio's biggest movies for a reason! Find out for yourself in the big Circle of Life! BOOYIKA!
  • Lon Chaney100012 May 2014
    The Lion King
    The Lion King is acclaimed to be one of the best and if not the best Disney film of all time. Well lets find out. The plot of the movie is about a young cub named Simba and plans on becoming king, but when Simbas evil uncle Scar kills Simbas father Mufasa. Scar tells his hyena henchmen to run Simba out into the jungle and make him never return. Simba makes new friends in the jungle and decides never to return because he rather lives a life with no problems whatsoever. When his childhood friend Nala informs him that Scar has taken over Simba comes back and stops his evil uncle. I personally find the plot very interesting and exiting. It's like you want to know what happens next every moment. Now the moment that everyone remembers and one of Disney's most saddest moment is when Scar lets the stampede out to kill Mufasa. I mean come on haven't we got enough with Bambis Mom! Mufasas death in my opinion is more sad. The main reason is that with Mufasas death there are not any flying birds after it. With Mufasa they keep it silent like if its at a funeral So after watching this film its now clear to me why its called one of the best. In my opinion its not THE best because it does have its flaws here and there./Cough,cough/ Timon and Pumba! Sorry had a couple idiots stuck in my throat. Still, its one of the best, but by a landslide Not the very best.
  • karunthapa19 August 2017
    A movie to be watched by every Animator
    I being an Animator watched this movie over and over. The quality of animation, movement and voices behind the characters all were so good I have this movie in my collection.

This movie was the best animated movie for me in 1994, but still is.

The creativity in screenplay, dialog, character development, environment, music, etc. all are masterpieces. This movie is outstanding and exceptional for me.
  • MarkAmovie26 July 2017
    An animated film can be just as good or if not better than a real life film.
    This is in my top 3 animation films of all time. I don't think that any animation film before it managed to enter the hearts of both children and adults at once like this one. An ensemble cast with such a gripping tale, great music and superb animation, made this one of the all time greats. The characters are so well flushed out and each scene is so memorable. I cannot stress just how good this film is. Without a doubt the peak of Disney and to this day they have not made anything this original and so influential. The creators gave us such a good villain and great hero's that in my opinion shows that an animated film can be just as good or if not better than a real life film.
  • Martin Hennerfors31 January 2012
    An epic masterpiece
    This is one of the best movies of all time. Not just in terms of animated movies, but ALL movies ever made.

One of the last films in Disney's 10-year era of blockbusters and critically acclaimed films.

Magnificently animated with incredibly well-composed music. It is more an art than a movie.

This film has everything, Mystery, Romance, sad moments and moments of great joy. It's a film for all ages, even those who do not like animated / cartoon can see the class of this movie.

The sad thing about this film is that no one longer creates masterpieces like this.

10 out of 10.