• If IMDB had a way of getting a blood pressure reading on some of the users making comments for this show, the results would be frightening. There's no reason to EVER get that worked up over a program!

I've never been able to understand why a person would watch an entire seven year series, hating it all the way. Option: Turn the channel. You've got nothing to lose. It's not like in the theater where one might sit through a tepid movie because they paid admission. Voyager was free. Take it or leave it.

Personally, I enjoyed the show. I liked the plot, the cast, and most of the storylines. I appreciated the mix of drama and action. Voyager, in my opinion, was a very good program. Had I not felt good about it... I would have turned it off. Problem solved.

Not every series is going to be a masterpiece. Not everyone is going to like every show. If it's your cup of tea, drink it. If not, put the cup down.
  • arcamian18 March 2004
    The universe of Star Trek has done something brilliant to keep alive. The creators have imposed a story arch for all the series starting with DS9. Don't get me wrong. TNG was what got me into Star Trek in the first place. It had vibrant characters, unique ideas, and was the building block for setting the stage for the other series and the later movies. However, in all it's glory, it lacked something. Continuity. The longest the crew of the Enterprise D would have to deal with an immediate situation, was no more than 2 episodes. No doubt things would reoccur, but it was seldom. Voyager, however, would have numerous back to back episodes dealing with something. And that might even resurface somewhere down the line.

I can't understand what people dislike so much about this show. They explored so much more than any of the others. Not just in the unverse, but with the crew. They all grew. Some more than others, but you can't go 7 years and not show growth in a character. And as with every other Star Trek, it was rough at first, but it gets so much better once the writers and the actors have about a year or two to get it right.

I truely believe that if people give it a chance and don't jump on the bandwagon, they'd like it. It's easy to say you don't like something if you've never really given it a chance.
  • Contrary to what many Trek nerds would have you believe, Voyager is not the worst Star Trek series, and is not at all a bad show. The acting is superior to that on the beloved The Next Generation (that comment alone will probably have people throwing their Spock ears at their monitors), and I think many of the stories were better. TNG stories always seemed to revolve around spacial anomalies and holodeck malfunctions, which became excruciatingly boring. I wasn't interested in seeing Picard dressed up like Sherlock Holmes and trying to solve a fake mystery, only to be trapped on the holodeck and have the safety mechanisms shut off. As many times as this happened, I would have shut the silly thing down and prohibited its use.

Voyager was so great because it truly put its protagonists into a situation that they could not extricate themselves from. For the first time since the original 1960's series, Star Trek characters truly went where nobody had gone before, discovering new races and acquiring knowledge. And they couldn't call on the federation to save them.

And no doctor has ever been as good in his role as Robert Picardo. That even includes DeForest Kelly, who was exceptional.

Jennifer Lien was also outstanding as Kes, who was very much missed after her departure from the series.

Voyager brought back a lot of the adventure that was inherent in the first Star Trek series, and was lost in TNG. Perhaps it didn't live up to its enormous potential, but it was still a very good series that is, unfortunately, far to often the target of hate by TNG purists and people who like to pick at microscopic details.
  • I had to respond to someone who said this was the worst of the franchise. I happen to favor DS9, but Voyager has many great qualities including cast and unique plots. Captain Janeway was an excellent addition to the captains of Star Trek. Let us not forget the criticisms that James Kirk had during the beginnings of his work in Star Trek. The ensemble worked well together, slowly but surely over seven seasons and there were many truly memorable segments. Chakotay, Tuvok, Blana, Tom, 7 of 9, Kes, Harry, Neelix, the Doctor, at the end named Joe, each and every one developed into a character you liked each and every week, irrespective of the episode. They grew even better over time, although I wondered how Chakotay and the Captain never got together and on occasion how Blana and Tom did!and the final episode a two parter was truly a great ending to the show.

There is no edge like there is in DS9, just questions on how they are going to get home, and it is the third of this group so it gets compared to ST:TNG sometimes unfavorably. But, just as the ensemble was great in each, so as it is in Voyager.

If you take the time to watch the first season you will want to see each and every episode and feel badly when it all ends. Wanting more that is just not forthcoming.

Criticize if you will, but the current Enterprise could take some notice of the great ensemble of the previous Star Trek's and the wonderful writing that kept many turning in week after week and continue in syndication.

I just recently purchased the full seven seasons on DVD and saw it again after its television airing. The show is even better than when I first wrote about it. Each show stands alone with compelling story lines that are creative in their design and resolution. The franchise of Star Trek- from its inception in the 60's through Voyager should continue in some form other than conventions. There is a void for good stories, writing and ensembles.
  • Here in The Netherlands, Star Trek Voyager was on the TV every 4 days of the week. I've never payed much attention to this since I am not the biggest fan of since-fiction and sorts of movies and series like it. One day, nothing was on and I decided to lower myself to the 'level' Star Trek was on. From that moment on, I didn't knew what I was saying before!

I began watching it every day, until I discovered I dropped right there in to the middle of Season 4. Which was pretty bad for me. Since I had NO clue what so ever how they got to the Delta Quadrant, where in war with the Kazon and who 'Kes' was, I decided I just had to afford the €99,99 euro 7parts DVD box. This box was kept in storage somewhere behind my schoolbooks, until I missed a couple of episodes because of my weekly and daily responsibilities. I decided to start all over again and watch the entire series without subtitles or synchronization. Pure all-American humor and language that is.

From that moment on, I knew what was going on, and how they got where they were. Including what happened to them. I didn't gave up watching Star Trek Voyager on TV, since there were still subtitles included on TV. It simply drew me back in all over again! (which I didn't mind at all) My initial misgivings suddenly disappeared and I began to be a huge fan of the series. I used to stay up all night watching it and I still do! After watching every single episode more than 3 times. Since I haven't gotten into all the other series, Voyager still raised above my expectations and for sure it amazed my how 'modern' it was for that time of year.

Therefor I want to conclude; everyone who is interested in SF, star traveling, interesting plot-twists and more, should definitely watch this series! I gave it a definite 9+.
  • Voyager, though different in many ways than other Star Trek series, is nonetheless a great chapter in the Star Trek saga. The characters are well developed, and the unusual situation allows for a creative array of episodes.

In the first few seasons, it is obvious that the actors (and directors) are still getting used to the characters they are trying to create. As such, the first season or two is a little chaotic, though there are underlying personal and situational themes. Regardless, the early season are most definitely enjoyable, and provide a good foundation for the seasons that follow.

Once the show gets underway, however, the characters are given more shape and depth, and the acting/directing vastly improves. The shows focus on a variety of subjects - interpersonal relationships among the crew, individual moral and spiritual issues, scientific anomalies, and time travel, as well as many other things. Both new and previously used aliens appear in the series, so while there are unfamiliar species (such as the Kazon), there are also ties to the original Star Trek villains.

I highly recommend seasons two and four - they stand out as two of the best.

Star Trek: Voyager, with its unique cast of characters and unusual mission, is a new way to explore the "final frontier".
  • I was not really a big fan of Star Trek until I saw Voyager accidentally one time on cable. I forgot which particular episode but it was so creative and funny, that I kicked myself for not noticing this treasure. Thanks to the advent of Netflix and post 2000 video technology distribution, I am able to embark into every episodes for the entire 7 seasons. What about the doctor!? Emergency Medical Hologram to Emergency Command Hologram, Robert Picardo made me love the show so much, what a joy to just see him perform and struggle with his "humanity". He makes me laugh out loud so many times, I had to apologize to my roommate for my uncontrollable outburst. Voyager is my painkiller for breaking out the laughs. It's just so funny sometimes, I can't help it. My wife and I love, Jeri Ryan (Seven) and Robert Picardo (EMH) duet -- "You are my sunshine". Their voices so pure, I still hear it in my head. It might be corny to some but Voyager is making a grand statement -- to EXPRESS as humanly possible -- the purest form of unrelentless expression of art -- without restraint -- of music, dreams and holo novels, etc. I have to say, Voyager is a very entertaining series. There are immense creativity into the moral conscience, and interpersonal development within each member of the crew. Instead of making artificial intelligence awkward and jerky, writers of Voyager gave Picardo the freedom to express beyond anything you can imagined. He is more feeling and more emotional than most organics -- and boy, can he sing! I love the premise for doctor's expansive, self growth, developing, and becoming a valuable member as part of "the family" decision in the final 2 episodes of Endgame; science fiction at its best! Toward the end, EMH actually disobey Captain's order and make "human" mistakes. I believe the chemistry between the crew works well. Harry Kim and Tom Paris, Neelix and Tuvok <-- those two are actually quite funny. I love Tuvoc occasional humor, despite being a Vulcan. Finally, I'm SO GLAD they did not go with the original actress for Janeway-- have you seen the rare 1st episode footage?! -- thank God for Kate Mulgrew! She has developed through the 7 years into an extremely confident, believable, and respectable female captain. Let me put it this way, Kate Mulgrew did more than I ever envision a female Captain could do -- even with a hint of feminine quality. Hard to believe but the chemistry balance was just right. Kate, what a GREAT job! Thank you Star Trek for making Voyager, I enjoy every episode, the creativity, of morals issues we face everyday, and the potential possibilities of our Cosmic expanse.
  • I've been a fan of the Star Trek series since Star Trek the Next Generation. I used to watch The Next Gen after school and I loved the idea of going off to space to explore new worlds and meeting new peoples. But the one thing that bothered me about the series was all the constrictions that the Enterprise had to go through. There was several shows that had the Federation saying 'You can't do this, or that!' But with Star Trek Voyager you have a smaller ship with only a couple of dozen of people on board in a distant part of the galaxy who are trying to get home. Far away from their family, friends and superiors. The series does an great job at redefining several species and introduces new ones. The cast is great and is always fun to watch Robert Picardo as the Doctor because he gets me laughing all the time. The ship has plenty of interesting characters all growing throughout the series. The Doctor becomes more then just a hologram medical helper and becomes a real member of the ship. Captain Janeway becomes a strong confident captain. Tom Paris, a womanizing troublemaker buckles down with a former hot head, federation hating Klingon.

So if you love space exploration then this is the series for you.
  • Voyager started off on shaky ground, but gradually levelled off into a good scifi show. It took TNG forever to find its unique niche and identity, and so it is for Voyager. It can be compared to the original Star Trek, in its go-where-no-one-has-gone-before identity.

Humor and drama, action and sometimes even horror are well-balanced in Voyager, the characters started off slightly odd but eventually became edgy but fast friends with each other. Even Neelix, the Talaxian who often looks as if he's wearing rejects from Quark's wardrobe, has become a far more palatable and even likable character.

If Neelix can make me laugh, then Voyager has its niche. :)
  • This is yet another brilliant Star Trek series, this time the danger fraught adventures of the Federation star ship Voyager. As a result of the Caretaker's intervention, Voyager has been stranded in the generally hostile Delta Quadrant, 75 years travel from Earth, with little prospect of any return home in the foreseeable future and initially not even any communication with the distant Federation. The Voyager crew consists of some likewise stranded Maquis (including Chakotay & B'Elanna) who have been forced to join forces with the original Federation crew in a mutual struggle to survive and return safely to the Alpha Quadrant. Commanding Voyager is surely the Federation's most bold, determined, decisive, and feisty captain. Kathryn Janeway is a no nonsense lady who, given the risks inherent in this unexplored new quadrant, is frequently obligated to arm the photon torpedoes first and seek diplomacy later. Her stern voice commands 'Hail them!' when hostile species threaten, generally followed by the even more terse and severe call, 'Battlestations'. Captain Janeway, who is addicted to black coffee, has left a fiancé back home on earth. The Delta Quadrant really isn't a very friendly place. One of the first adversaries encountered is the Kazon, a brutal race subdivided into constantly warring factions. The Vidians have an unfortunate tendency to steal organs from living victims in their attempts to counteract the Phage, which has plagued their people for centuries. The Malon are the quadrant's polluters, dumping their garbage of deadly theta radiation wherever they can get away with doing so. The Hirogen are obsessed with the hunt, the pursuit of prey, the kill, and the collection of trophies. Species 8472 hails from fluidic space and boasts five genders. Most deadly is the ongoing threat of the ubiquitous Borg with their cubes, spheres, nasty Queen, and disquieting desire for assimilation. Janeway's calm, likable first officer, Chakotay, is a former Maquis of Native American origin. He has a tendency to navel gaze about his ancestors' spiritual beliefs. He & Janeway share a truly touching bond of mutual respect, friendship, and dependency, unhindered by the threat of romance... except once when stranded perhaps indefinitely alone together on a planet, when some sparks fly between them! Harry Kim is the innocent young operations officer, everyone's favourite boy next door, homesick for his parents and unlucky in love. The ship's ongoing romance is between Tom Paris and B'Elanna Torres. B'Elanna is the feisty, hot tempered, half Klingon Chief Engineer. Tom is Voyager's cool, nonchalant, charming pilot / helmsman, who has a yen for old movies, Captain Proton, rock & roll, fast cars and even faster spacecraft. Midway through the series he designs a fancy new shuttle craft, the Delta Flyer. Tuvok and Neelix are polar opposites. Tuvok, the totally logical, openly emotionless Vulcan tactical officer, has left a wife & family back home on Vulcan. Needless to say, he experiences a pon farr during Voyager's travels! Tuvok's leisure pursuits include meditating, playing logic games such as kal-toh, and listening to Vulcan dirges. Neelix is the super friendly, warm hearted, enthusiastic cook and morale officer, a Talaxian who has lost his family as a result of a devastating weapon, the metreon cascade, on his home planet. Tuvok appears to barely tolerate Neelix, but underneath is a touching, unacknowledged affection. One of the more intriguing episodes sees a transporter glitch combine Tuvok & Neelix into one individual, Tuvix, with a truly unique personality mixture of the two. In my opinion, the only uninteresting crew member is Neelix's girlfriend, the lovely Kess, despite her developing special powers. Kess is an Ocampan, a Delta Quadrant race with a short life span, whose females incubate their young in a sac on their back. Kess is replaced mid way through the series by the totally compelling and endearing Seven of Nine, a Borg of human origin, severed from the collective during the fascinating two part episode, The Scorpion. The beautiful blonde Seven struggles to adjust to her newfound individuality as she punches up data in Astrometrics, ever efficient in her skin tight garb and pausing only long enough to regenerate. Perhaps the most lovable crew member is The Doctor, actually the Emergency Medical Hologram, but with more personality than any of the organic folk! He's a totally insufferable, arrogant, yet very appealing character who has a brief love affair of his own with a Vidian doctor. He also sings opera and has something of a crush on Seven, to whom he gives dating lessons (definitely Voyager's funniest episode). There's even a child aboard, the charming little half Ktarian Naomi Wildman, who was born on Voyager. Neelix reads her bedtime stories, but later she longs to become Captain's Assistant. Her role model is Seven with whom she plays kadiscat. New technologies introduced in the series include Voyager's bio-neural gel packs. Needless to say, the crew frequently encounter false leads that promise a quick trip home to the Alpha Quadrant. A number of their adventures involve disruptions in the time line. The most compelling time related episode is the two part Year of Hell, involving constant attacks by the Krenim time ship with its devastating temporal weapon. At the heart of the series is the crew's camaraderie in its assorted struggles to return to the Alpha Quadrant. Their goal is challenging, but it's the journey that counts. My sole complaint is the show's occasional intrusion into the theological realm with the Klingon Messiah, Klingon hell etc. Otherwise, it's a wonderful & unique science fiction series with a stellar cast. Finally, my compliments to the late Jerry Goldsmith for his amazing theme music. I call it the music of longing to go home.
  • Voyager is over, at least for now. We all know that no one really dies, or in this case ends, in the Star Trek universe. It has been a fun 7 years. Voyager as been an oasis in a wasteland of television. It has provided the watcher adventure, romance, comedy, drama and social awareness. There have been a few disappointing episodes, but that is true with almost every show. On the whole, I think that Voyager has lived up to the Star Trek name and furthered Mr. Roddenberry's dreams. I'll miss Voyager and her crew. But I would like to thank the "powers that be" for a happy ending.
  • Voyager - 7 seasons on DVD. This is a must see. Backgrounds, stories, characters, are all first class. An excellent work of modern TV drama. Following entirely the Gene Roddenberry's vision, this show is indeed a prime derivative. It would be unfair to mention any name in particular. The integration of roles, stories and dialog is remarkable. If you ever liked a sci-fi film then these DVD boxes contain a treasure. From very important social issues, through galactic perils and humor, the crew of Voyager along with its creative team will take you really where no man has gone before. Packaging is robust and typical. All seasons contain extra material. Audio and Video take a 10 in 10. Enjoy the ride in the 4th Quadrant. This is an order.
  • harrypothead4202419 January 2019
    It was great! Some blah episodes, like all trek, but great when it was great. Do yourself a favor, if you like tng and ds9 watch Voyager
  • As was true with Star Trek Deep Space Nine, as the Star Trek Voyager series progresses, the episodes keep getting better and better!! Seven of Nine's quest to regain her humanity, and the Doctor's similar "voyage," although he's not technically human, are captivating as their characters continue to develop over the course of the series. Their relationship is also a tantalizing aspect of the series. I'm half-way through season 6 now, and to date, I find "Someone to Watch Over Me" (Season 5, episode 22) to be the best episode of the series to date. This episode also includes some of the funniest lines in any Star Trek, ever. I know it's been over 10 years since this series first aired, but I wish to offer my sincerest congratulations to the writers and creators of this wonderful series!
  • nick-meuli24 January 2013
    Voyager is the best Star Trek series yet, hands down. While that may be an opinionated statement, I reason this by pointing out several key parts of the show which make it more enjoyable than any other series.

The cast, firstly, has a lot of diversity and characters such as Janeway, Seven of Nine and the Doctor are extremely engaging throughout their respective seasons. The concept of the ship being stranded thousands of light years away from Earth or Federation space is not simply an interesting basis in its own right, but betters the development of these characters. They are isolated in an unknown region of space with foreign enemies and perils, which forces the characters to grow and adapt. It creates a new level of camaraderie as the Voyager crew depend on their ingenuity, co-operation and resourcefulness to find a way home.

While these new aliens and planets may seem off-putting to both newcomers and old fans of Star Trek, the show is grounded nicely by the Federation principles which Voyager upholds. Their journey home is seen also as a mission of exploration, and familiar issues- such as the classic moral dilemma or Prime Directive story- return in different circumstances.

However well the writers stick to the tried and tested formula (which is not a bad thing), a whole new quadrant of the Milky Way allows plenty of scope, as mentioned, for new enemies. While the Kazon are quite possibly the least intriguing of these, the disease-decimated Vidiians, hunting driven Hirogen, unmatchable Species 8472 etc are all fascinating. Romulans, Cardassians, Ferengi etc make "cameos" too, while the Borg encounters have made Captain Janeway the stuff of legend.

The main reason to watch Voyager is that it is enjoyable, just like most Star Trek and like all TV aims to be. It has the real feeling of exploration, revamped and revitalised from the older programmes. The real Star Trek atmosphere is caught up in the lonely but determined ship stuck in the Delta Quadrant, sticking to their guns through thick and thin.
    I have been watching the star trek shows from TNG to Enterprise and having just finished Voyager I must say I really do love this series. I grew up with TNG so it will always be #1...plus Picard nuff said. Voyager offers a show that's just as good, with a great cast and awesome show dynamics. I do think Voyager should have acquired some better technology from the delta quadrant. Endgame shows voyager as a wicked starship with Borg inspired weapons and Armour but that's it one episode of really good quality new weaponry. I find also the technical aspect of the show was far better than TNG DS9 and Enterprise. They explained things in more detail and ran into truly interesting space oddities coupled with better CG representations. Which is the reason I hate TOS so much, I'm not from that time so I really find the visuals and special effects lame and boring.
  • Bluefly2 October 1999
    I'm reasonably new to the Star Trek phenomenon, but I really like it and I don't understand all these negative comments. Notice that the bashers can never spell. Chacotay? Chackotay? What's next, Star Track? *shudder* Anyway, Voyager is without a doubt one of the best of the four ST series, right up there with TNG. The premise of being stranded in the Delta Quadrant is a new and cool idea. Trying to get home serves as a driving force for the characters and gives them all a purpose together.

As for the characters, it's ridiculous to say that they aren't interesting or well developed. Janeway is a strong leader who risks everything for her ship and crew, like a captain should. Chakotay is not human wallpaper, he's one of the greatest characters. You can't judge him by whether or not Robert Beltran likes Star Trek! The supporting characters are all wonderful and their relationships with each other are fascinating - Janeway/Tuvok, Tuvok/Neelix, Tom/B'Elanna, Harry/Tom, Seven/Naomi, and especially Janeway/Chakotay.

Well, Voyager's an excellent TV show, one of the best I've ever seen. It's cool, it's captivating and it's very entertaining. And even if you have to hate Voyager, no one can say Star Trek is dead. We trekkers know that themessage and the vision of Star Trek will never die.
  • ST Voyager did not find its stride until the latter half of the third season, some good episodes here and there notwithstanding. Many people complain about ST Discovery being far away from the original ST concept but Voyager is as well. On close inspection, the behaviour of the crew is less than exeplary or Starfleet worthy. Many times after first contact is made some "misunderstanding" leads to an aggrieved Janeway et al. claiming the high ground and doing battle with the opposition. As viewers, we are left with the notion the action was justified but frequently the situation could ahve been remedied by better understanding of different cultures or taking more care of hw first contact was conducted. The crew of Voyager is quite an aggressive bunch. As said, the series didn't start to gel properly until the latter half of season 3. The Borg present a steady and quantifiable enemy and with the arrival of 7 of 9 we have one of the strongest female roles in modern sci-fi television. In fact ST Voyager does women proud with Janeway, Torres, and Seven of Nine. The relationships between Janeway/Nine/Torres raised the quality of the series considerable. It's a shame Kate Mulgrew took her dissatisfaction of being upstaged out on Jeri Ryan. Ryan may well have saved the series. Having recently started to rewatch the series from the beginning, I can say it stands the test of time. Even with complaints about Neelix, which can be understood though Ethan Phillips should be applauded for his acting. What will remain a major irritation for me personally is that Harry never was promoted, especially since Tom Paris didn't even have a rank when he came on board, then was demoted and then promoted again.
  • Much like other Star Trek series' each episode is more-or-less self contained, in that it has little to no effect on future episodes as they're exploring other worlds or space phenomenon, but there is one constant, they're trying to get home. As good as The Original Series or Next Generation were, they never had any underlying storyline as Voyager does. I like the point of choosing Voyager for the journey, it's a ship that can just about manage the long distance at a good speed (other lesser space-craft in the Star Trek universe would be too slow making thier journey seem unrealistic and virtually unattainable) and the brilliant crew work well together.

But the best part of Voyager is that it shows that Star Trek is not JUST Enterprise (we have done three series' with Enterprise as the major space-craft so it's nice to see them move on, I recognise that Deep Space Nine had the namesake space station and the small craft Intrepid, and now there's Discovery with its namesake craft)

I enjoyed every episode of Voyager and though the storyline was well made, especially in the latter, Seven of Nine, seasons with the Borg.
  • I'm convinced that everyone has a TV format they'll watch which is basically rubbish. For some it's Soap Operas, others reality programs, for others Quiz shows or perhaps sports. For me it's Sci Fi and Fantasy, and thus I've watched every Voyager episode even though it's really not very good.

The first major problem is the characters, who are mostly either bland or annoying. Janeway is a pompous and annoying Kathrine Hepburn wannabe with a grating voice. Chakotay, a bland native American who stills believes in 'animal spirit guides'. Tom Paris a toned down prettyboy rogue. Harry Kim is possibly the most uninteresting main character in any ST series. Tuvok is alright, but too much like Spock. Torres is a stroppy, stereotypical Klingon. Kes, cute but again bland. Neelix is an annoying furball. The Doctor is the exception, an interesting, nuanced character, ironically the most human of the bunch. Seven was OK, but they comically decided to dress her in a catsuit (unlike the rest of the crew) to emphasise her large and impressive 'Borg implants'.

Then we have the excessive techno-babble. The first modification I'd make to any Star Fleet vessel is improving the Portner Cell so it doesn't leak plasma all the time, and indeed, 'my Portner Cell is leaking plasma' has become a euphemism for breaking wind with some of my friends.

Then there's the rehashed plots which are virtually identical to earlier ST:TNG ones.

And then there's lack of any real character conflict. Things started well with the tensions between the Star Fleet and Maquis crews, but within half a season the writers have copped out, leaving us with petty scrabbles rather than any real tension.

And then the the absurdity of much of it. In the pilot we learn that the Kazon has ships capable of challenging Voyager on mass, but they don't have any water?! Then Voyager travels in a straight line away from them for months on end, but the Kazon keep on popping up.

And then there's the flexibility of the Prime Directive, where it's a major issue in some episodes, and savagely and intentionally broken in others (particularly the Season finale, Janeway would have been court martialed for what she did, not promoted).

So why did I keep watching? Partially through desperation for some Sci Fi to watch, and because occasionally (rather like Star Gate:SG1) there'd be an outstanding episode such as the one where the Doctor falls in love with a Vidian.

One last thing, I really can't understand how anyone can compare this with the mostly excellent ST:DS9. Voyager is so inferior in just about every respect there really isn't a comparison at all.

• For someone who lives in the other side of the globe, far from American continents, I would say, this was one show that hooked me to my TV and stay late just to catch the episodes.

I personally love the fact that Capt. Janeway is the only female captain in the history of star trek, makes the movie different from the usual role that is commonly exclusive to Men. To lead a spaceship away from home (very far indeed) and make sure that its crew survives with all its drama and complexity, Voyager is very inspiring.

I've seen quite a lot of sci-fi movies, but this was possibly the only one that tackled a lot of NEW alien race, their home world, what they are and what they can be. Adding to this, the idea of a BORG race which is possibly the greatest headache of the Federation, was truly given the chance to shine as the BAD GUY, to conquer and be conquered till the end of the show.

Now, I just knew recently that people marked Voyager as the worst version and it really hurt me. I don't know why, but the plot, the story line, the cast, the drama, the comedy and everything about voyager was just new for me. Very new that for me, it did not follow the usual story line and plots from the traditional sci-fi shows. This made me kept on watching and always thinking what will happen next. The show is like my favorite novel that I couldn't stop turning the pages and hoped the story never ended.

I am no master in Star Trek or any of its shows. I am but a being who takes a seat at night and watch to rid off the stress of this world.

I am one who doesn't personally know the works of Mr. Gene Roddenberry, but I truly have the highest respect for him for creating Star Trek. Voyager may have gone turbo from what he originally visioned what Star Trek would be, but the moral of the story is the one thing that is very important for me, and on how do I apply these fantasies into reality to make me a better being if not the best. I guess that is what authors do, to inspire people to be better thru their stories.

I only know what I have seen and pretty much of the Voyager was truly inspiring. The show maybe hated by a lot, but for someone who accidentally stumbled on Voyager,I say this is by far the one that I LOVE.

-- Dex ( I will always be a Voyager Fan ) :)
  • Perhaps the last of the sci-fi series saga that portrays future in glorious light and not try to bring future down to "man" size like so many of the sci-fi series that came since then (including Star Trek's own "Enterprise" series). The characters, the special effects, the production design are of highest creativity and beauty, something epitome of sci-fi has strived for since first sci-fi appeared on screen.

I'm not sure why sci-fi characters started getting merged with working class heroes in recent years, but this only shrinks the genre in my opinion. If this series was the swan song for the beautiful portrayal of our future, I think the loss is great.

As a die hard sci-fi fan, this series was the last of the great sci-fi epic. If you see that the subsequent series "Enterprise" became the first Star Trek series to be canceled due to poor ratings, I believe that there is still a market for great sci-fi epic like the Star Trek Voyager.

In my opinion this was the best of Star Trek series with best production design, and character portrayal. I would love to see more Star Trek series continue in this vein and I hope other sci-fi series will follow suit.
  • Star Trek: Voyager is a great series to watch. The initial concept of the show is pretty simple: USS Voyager is taken to the delta quadrant against there will and are stranded there - leaving them no choice to but to embark on a long and dangerous journey home.

The Voyager series brings in a lot of new and old ideas about the star trek universe. The new idea of having a holographic doctor and being able to send him on away-missions is a very complex and entertaining idea. The idea of two opposing factions banding together to work as one crew is new. However, some old ideas do still remain for example the unattractive uniforms, color designations, button sounds and the weakness of their ship.

The cast is full of good actors. At first the characters were green and so was the acting, but by the second season the characters and acting seemed to flow much better. Captain Jane-way certainly looks and feels like a leader and her choices are often made by seeking advice from other crew members, but some of her decisions are startlingly dark and immoral. There were a lot of recurring minor roles for actors and they brought a unique feel to the show.

One of the best things I like about this series is that it gets very technical, but is also dumbed-down enough to make sure the ordinary lay-man (like myself) can still understand what's going on. The addition of Seven of Nine was a great idea. Jeri Ryan brought in a great sex appeal and added further to the technical stand-points in the show. I fully enjoyed learning a lot about the Borg. It is one of the species I was most interested in.

If you want to know about the Borg, this is the series to watch. Also, this series is very dark. At some points I had shed some tears. Rick Berman was shooting for a darker Star Trek and he made it happen.

The points of the show I didn't like was that the ship always seems to have some sort of problem and that shields and weapons are almost always offline or not working. It also seemed like the crew wasn't trained well-enough for combat fighting. After a while it appears as if all combat is turn-based. (If you don't know what I mean think of it this way: One person fires and then the enemy fires and continues back and forth.).

By the end of the show itself the writing formats seemed to be predictable. After season 5, each episode seemed to start ending abruptly. Within the last 5 minutes it seems that everything episode or problems gets solved and life goes back to normal without any residual effects. After watching full seasons with that kind of writing, the show starts to get a little tiresome.

Overall, this is a wonderful show. It outlines betrayal, morality, trust, honor and integrity. Each episode takes you on journey to learning a new life lesson.
  • gburnx20088 January 2012
    To me, nothing can approach the goofy, paper mache rock flinging greatness of the original series. Voyager, however, is a close second due to the ever evolving character relationships and story lines that center around entire (fascinating) command staff rather than being "The Starfleet captain show" or occasional focus on one or two main characters. Speaking of Captain Janeway, i simply cannot understand how a few consider the character or the actress "weak".

ST Series best to worst IMO-

Star Trek, Voyager, Star Trek TNG, Enterprise, Star Trek TAS, Disappointment 9
    Star Trek Voyager was supposed to be groundbreaking, a fresh challenge, a slap in the face of what we had known. At least that's the way they sold it to us. The U.S.S. Voyager would be stranded in a remote sector of space unknown to mankind, truly exploring the unseen while looking for a way back. Too bad they(producers, writers) chickened out right from episode 1. What we got was more of the same, tired aliens of the week with a generic bump on their foreheads that spoke English perfectly, and loads of spatial anomalies and enough technobabble to fill Jupiter's Red Spot. We were supposed to have the first female lead, a female captain which was a wonderful idea, but we got that annoying midget of a woman, with a grating voice-pitch and schizophrenic personality. We got a stiff imitation of Leonard Nimoy, and a bunch of useless, unlikeable, bland and annoying characters as a crew. Plus, the ship always seemed a ridiculous coffee spoon. Not all was horrid, of course...naturally, Robert Picardo as the Holographic Doctor, the Special Effects, Jerry Goldsmith's Main Theme, and the Borg along with the sexy Seven of Nine did make this show watchable, and at times, even enjoyable. But it's sad, because, for a show that was supposed to throw all conventions through the window, it surely was the most conventional of them all.