User Reviews (268)

• Let me preface this review by saying that this is my favorite film of all time. I'm not saying it was the best, most artistic, original, or most innovative...but it is my favorite. It's a movie about a 20-something man getting over a nasty break-up, living in Los Angeles. Pretty simple stuff, but the honesty in the film is amazing. This film boasts the most realistic, and interesting depictions of male friendship I've ever seen. Some might simply pawn this movie off as a buddy flick, but it goes so much deeper than that. Mikey (Favreau) deals with insecurity, rejection, depression, an overwhelming feeling of inadequacy. Something almost everyone can relate to. And, as an audience member, you live and die with the poor guy. The supporting cast is very strong, popping in and out as the assortment of friends populating Mikey's social life. Each is trying, in his own way, to get their buddy out of his post-break up funk, which meet with varying degrees of success. Swingers is chock full of laugh-out-loud moments, and oft-quoted lines ("Our baby's all grows up!") that could very easily lead to repeated viewings of this masterpiece.
    Money! Having lived the life of Mike, this movie hits home. No gig, no girl...no self esteem... Hangin with the boys. Who hasn't been there? A virtual plethora of one liners and quotes for guys (this is definitely a guy flick) in their 20's and 30's. Who hasn't left a relationship only to wallow in guilt and self doubt. Especially when you find out the ex is seeing someone else. Add to this the inability to land a decent paying gig, living alone in an unfamiliar town, and having bunch of condescending clowns as your support group and its no wonder that poor Mike was about to return to Queens with his tail between his legs.

The best part of this film is the self transformation of Mike from the pitiful whiner holed up in his apartment for days after Sue tells him what a loser he is, to the Bear spotting the Bunny (literally) from the other side of the bar. Though Mike is constantly hearing and taking advise from his posse...ultimately, it is himself who shows that through his own experiences (ball room dance lessons with the ex) and his own strengths of honesty, charm and charisma that he proves he is indeed, money, and lands him the beautiful baby Lorraine. "It is so on" as the hilarious Trent (scene stealer Vince Vaughn) first spots the pensive conversation between Mike and Lorraine. (Heather Graham) The looks on Trent's and Sue's faces are priceless as they spy Mike and his beautiful baby working the dance floor to Big Bad Voodoo Daddy's "Go Daddy O". I don't think I have ever seen Ms Graham look better that she does here...

"It didn't occur to me" Mike replies to Trent in the final scene when asked why he didn't call the ex back. Amazing what a little confidence (and a dance with a hot blonde) can do for guy!

This is a hilarious movie about real guys (you have known somebody like every character in this film!) set against the surreal back drop of the then-hip LA swing scene in the mid 90's doing what they do best....10 out of 10
  • MaraJade2725 February 2004
    I saw that someone commented this is the perfect guy movie. I'd like to add that it's not just for guys. The characters in it are just as easy to relate to for girls. If you think girls don't pathetically chase after guys the same way the men of Swingers were going after girls, you need to get out more.(Not meant to be an insult.) My favorite character in it (though I love them all) is Rob. His insecurity is cute, but of course he's also a loyal friend. You can't beat that. And I love the goofy quote. "Hi, Mom. I'm goofy. Send more money." That's great! This is one of those movies that I love to watch over and over again. I will never get sick of it. Plus my husband (then boyfriend) introduced me to it so of course I love it. He even picked me up from my classes once by yelling, "Hey, do you know where all the high school girls hang out??" from across the street. This movie was incredibly funny and deserves a lot more praise than it gets.
  • I think a few of the readers who have commented on this film seem to be missing the point. While it can be said that this movie has no plot to speak of and no central point to it, my response is: so what? Not every movie is made to teach you how to live your life. Some of us can watch a movie simply for the pure enjoyment of listening to characters interact. Swingers does a better job of achieving this than the majority of movies ever made. Anybody can make Godzilla or Independence Day, but it takes a truly special movie to become a "cult hit" with nothing more at it's disposal than no-name actors (at the time) and catchy dialogue. This movie was the springboard for virtually every actor in it, with each going on to more well known parts.

Ok, enough preaching, pure and simple this movie is great. Vince Vaughn's character is one of the most likable characters you'll see in a movie. Even if you have nothing in common with someone like him, you can't help but like him. He's hilarious, smooth, and a loyal friend, and he has some of the most quotable lines in the movie. Everyone else on this site has quoted it time and again, so no need for me to, but let's just say it's funny stuff. John Favreau's character, Mikey, makes you laugh while at the same time wanting to slap him for being so stupid. There's so many funny scenes in this movie, I can't even begin to describe them. But the best by far always involve Vaughn, and the part where he's in the trailer describing his experience auditioning for a pilot is classic. You know he's feeding the girls a line the whole time, but it's so convincing and everyone is so in awe of him, it's hysterical. And when Mikey tries to act cool in front of the waitresses they meet, and fails to do so, only to see Trent tell them he's a producer and watch them swoon, I can't see how people don't find that funny.

Anyways, if you haven't seen this movie yet, do yourself a favor and go rent it. The buildup offered on this site is only a fraction of what you'll actually get out of watching it. 10+/10
  • Before watching "Swingers," I saw Jon Favreau and Vince Vaughn paired off in "Made." Now, I didn't like "Made" all that much, but that didn't lower my expectations when watching "Swingers." I already knew the two actors had a great chemistry and as long as the script is well-written, they can really go places. "Swingers" is a thoroughly original, wonderfully written comedy that's filled with big laughs.

Favreau and Vaughn's characters are like polar opposites, and it's hilarious to watch them argue. The rest of the actors are also good (I think the black guy is the blind character from "Becker"--I could be wrong), but Vince Vaughn steals the show as the smooth-talking Trent. We all have friends like Trent. Some of us aspire to be like Trent. Some of us are Trent. I admit, I would compare myself more to Favreau's character--the more reserved, sensitive type. But the great thing about a film like this is it's down to earth. It's about everyday people in everyday situations, and I guarantee many of us can relate to the characters in "Swingers" in one way or another, just like how many of us relate to the characters on "Seinfeld." This isn't a plot-driven film, so you can call this a movie about nothing. It's simply about a group of studs on the prowl, hitting the clubs and casinos, and sharing their philosophies on sex and dating. There are several films that tried to replicate this format and failed ("Whipped" comes to mind).

If you're in the mood to laugh hysterically and be wildly entertained, "Swingers" is the movie for you. About my only criticisms would be a few lame attempts to be stylish. Come on, would 5 guys really drive in their own cars and follow each other all the way without anyone cutting them off?

My score: 8 (out of 10)
  • This is a hilarious film about nobodies claiming to be bigger than they ever will be!

Doug Liman showed much promise and I'm more than sure that one day he will continue to make bigger budget films (Bourne Identity)

Careers should also be good for the great Jon Favreau who is just a fantastically witty writer, Vince Vaughn who should get a headlining film and Ron Livingston who is still performing good roles.

I love the script in this film, the language is unique and the scenarios are superb... the sad fact is that there are hundreds of guys like Trent, Mike, Rob & Sue (played by Patrick Van Horn)

I urge everybody to watch this even though it might not be there cup of tea!

• Upon hearing about this movie from friends, I was told that it was "money". They were right. This is "so money and they don't even know it." Entertaining comedy about letting go, and finding new romance and who your real friends are. Enough one-liners to quote for years, friends still quote it today! Nothing but beautiful babies, and a great upbeat soundtrack to get you dancing!
  • This film could prove that nice guys "don't" finish last. A truly great and funny movie. The movie is basically about getting a nightlife, friendship and picking up girls. The movie centers on Mike (Jon Favreau). A very brave but not cocky young man who constantly dwells on his ex-girlfriend and unsuccessfully attempts to rekindle his love life. Trent (Vince Vaughn) is always there to give him encouragement and inspiration. In someways Trent is the star of this movie. He has a strong screen presence and is extremely funny.

This movie teaches us to always double down on an eleven in black jack and how many days to wait before you call the girl for the first time. The greatest scene in this movie has to be when Trent and Sue are talking to Mike in the lounge and are trying to encourage Mike to ask a girl at the bar for her phone number. The "big bad bear and little bunny" analogy they use is hilarious.

You have to feel happy for Mike when he meets Lorraine (Heather Graham) at the end of the movie. We see Trent and Sue watching their buddy in amazement but we know that they are truly proud of him. Mike really was money and he didn't even know it.
  • "The point is, Mike, that it all depends on how you look at it."

Swingers is the quintessential guy movie. Not to say that a woman won't enjoy it, or that it's a stereotypical collection of all the things that men are supposed to love in movies, like a non-stop testosterone-fueled orgy of naked women, explosions, and violence.

Nope, Swingers is the quintessential guy movie because almost every guy can relate to at least part of it at some time during his life. The uncertainty about your career, the lingering pain of losing a girlfriend you truly loved, the camaraderie (and annoyances) of your friends, the frustrating world of dating and the games and "rules" that come along with it, and the feeling of that moment when you finally realize that your life can go on without that other person it revolved around so long.

The story focuses on Mike (Jon Favreau), an aspiring comedian in Los Angeles who has recently gone through a break-up with his long-term girlfriend back east, and his group of friends. Most of whom try to help Mike get over his break-up by meeting women in and around L.A. and Las Vegas. Especially his two best friends, ladies man Trent (Vince Vaughn) and Rob (Ron Livingston)  Most of the movie follows the group on their nightly romps through the city, or Mike as he struggles with the loss of the relationship that he was very much invested in.

I enjoyed the casual conversations the guys had about women, video games, their job efforts, and other things. Swingers really nailed the dynamics of how guys act with each other.

It's also pretty funny, though it's not a total comedy by any means. A lot of the humor derives from Mike's painful attempts to talk to women, after six long years off the market. There's a really hysterical sequence about Mike and a woman's answering machine later in the movie that will have you howling.

I got the sense that Swingers is the kind of movie that holds up well after repeated viewings, and maybe even gets better. It's not amazing, or anything like that, but it is hard to imagine anyone (especially guys aged 20-29) not appreciating it.
  • I chanced upon Swigers one evening after reading an article on writer/star Jon Favreau, and trying to figure out which character he played in Friends (it's Pete Becker by the way); don't you love it when you uncover a gem. From the opening credits, set to Dean Martin crooning "You're Nobody Until Somebody Loves You", I knew that this film was the very personification of cool, spawning one of the coolest characters in any film...ever, that being Trent Walker played by Vince Vaughn, with a swinging soundtrack and a real sense of fun which you don't often get in mainstream Hollywood; and this film is effortless in a way which Tarantino could only dream about.

The story centres around Favreau's loser-in-love Mikey, trying to make a living as an actor in L.A after leaving his long-term girlfriend behind in New York. His best buddy, Trent, tries incessantly to get Mikey back 'into the game' so to speak; cue a trawl around L.A's hippest night-spots, some hilarious insight into dating rituals (when is it cool to call? 2 days?), and a trip to Las Vegas in which Trent tries to 'pull a Fredo' (bedding cocktail waitresses two at a time). The central duo are ably supported by a cast of lovable rogues, all intent on getting laid.

Doug Liman directs in a laid-back manner, befitting of the film, and Favreau's script (based on Vaughn and himself) is full of witty insights and in-jokes, as well as enough movie references to keep everyone happy.

Although the characters are almost impossibly cool, they never appear obnoxious due to the over-riding sense that they are just a bunch of lovable losers trying to con their way into the beds of L.A's female population; sometimes succeeding, sometimes not, and there is a certain sweetness added by Favreau's predicament. The pay-off is cool, Favreau finally 'getting digits' and we are left with a role-reversal between the two main protagonists as Trent makes a fool of himself with a woman in the closing scene.

Altogether a classy, breezy, often hilarious film, a certain cult classic, and a fine addition to the date movie genre.
  • Swingers is just about the coolest film on the planet. It's so laid back it's horizontal. There aren't enough words in a thesaurus to describe how good this movie is! Watch and enjoy. The direction from Doug Liman is awesome and the acting matches. It's funny but not in your face, it's hip but doesn't care and it just makes for a great picture. Heather Graham looks gorgeous at the end as an added bonus for the guys too!
  • I really don't understand why so many people think this movie is fun. I thought it absolutely boring, annoying and utterly tedious. After plodding through the first 30 minutes or so I zapped to some of the remaining scenes in the hope to catch at least one funny moment, but nothing there, so I switched it off. I will now write this review and then erase it from my memory forever.

This is not a film but an extended sitcom episode full of the worst of the genre. The only reason I give it more than 1 star is that Thank God at least they didn't include canned laughter.

The characters are ultra boring, their conversations are empty, flat, repetitive, decidedly non-funny, and annoying to the point where you cover your ears to avoid screaming . There is no plot, no development, no humour whatsoever. Just to take the Vegas casino scene - it is so predictable, so obvious, so slow, so pathetic in its painful attempts to scream in our faces 'Look How Funny I Am!' that I felt personally insulted. And all that after first having to sit through an endless scene where the guys sit in the car on the road to Vegas and basically do nothing else but repeat the word 'Vegas' a million time in the same droning voices. Yeah, I really needed to see that.

Is this humour? It feels more like a permanent hangover. Get a life.

fG
  • this was a comedy?????? jon faverou at his self-important worst! a big SO WHAT to this one!!!!!! I cant even come up with the required ten lines for this most forgetable enterprise Vince Vaughn needs to shut up Oh yeah referencing goodfellas and reservoir dogs Brilliant!! when you cant come up with your own ideas reference someone elses' blah blah blah
    Actually this film scores a Zero. It's utter tripe, total excrement. There, I had to get that over and said.

The only people I knew were Vince Vaughn and Heather Graham. I did know the guy playing Mike, but I never know his name. Isn't the black guy who "didn't get the part in Deep Space Nine" the same chap who plays the blind guy in the American sitcom Becker?.

Basically this is a film with no plot, no storyline and nothing happening the whole time. Someone described it as a real guy movie? Dude, nothing happens in the film ever.

We basically follow the life of a guy (who calls himself an actor and comedian but we never see any evidence of either) bitching about a relationship that ended over 6 months ago (get over it!), and his friends who just go out on the club and party scene to try and meet women - mostly with no intent to ever follow up.

This film is described as an attempt to create a modern day film in the style of The Rat Pack. Which it doesn't do. The film really doesn't do anything. Even when Mike finally meets a girl in a bar (Heather Graham who looks stunning in the 1950's style hair, make-up and clothes) and his ex girlfriend rings him he ignores her to speak to Graham.

We never find out what happens to either relationship as the film ends abruptly after a really awful scene in a diner where Vaughn thinks a women is coming on to him when she is actually entertaining her baby.

There is no start, no middle and no end to this film. There is no film, but it still managed to go on for 1 hour and 45 minutes.

Avoid this. I'd sooner see Best Defence or Ishtar, and they are bloody dire. So that's saying something. Even fans of Vaughn and Graham are advised to give this one a miss. How they ever sold the idea to a production studio or got anyone to finance this is beyond me.
  • To sum it up, and put it in a mild way, this movie is just horrible! The acting is pitiful, the script: absurd, the directing: pathetic, the actors: untalented, and the story is nonexistent! I hated this movie. Its stupid!!! The writer of this film felt that instead of a coherent story line, he'd use toilet-based, rock-jock jokes, tetosterone laced bumbles and moron antics to weave a nothing of a story about wannabe actors attempts to cheer up a friend whos 6-year relationship just went belly up. Yawn! So without a story, without any likable characters, without inspired directing, without talented cast and crew the viewer is left with celluloid trash! Its hard to imagine who would like this film, but there are people who do. Hummm! Most of them seem to be moron guys who are balding failures. Hummm! Whatever. Showgirls had more artistic merit!!!
  • I have heard a lot about Swingers and how funny it is, in fact I had a friend almost yell at me when he found out that I have seen so many movies but I have not seen Swingers. So, obviously, I had to save the friendship, :P, so I went out to rent this. I am going to feel so bad about what to tell my friend because I really didn't get too into Swingers.

I can see why this is a cult classic, I would never deny that it wasn't a good movie. I just really didn't laugh, there were a couple moments where I laughed very lightly, that was it. But the scene where Mike calls that girl Niki like 10 times to leave stupid messages, I laughed, but it was just so painful to watch. Now, I love Vince Vaughn, he is just a crazy and funny comedic actor, but I found him to be a little bit annoying in this movie. I don't mind repeated lines every once in a while, but "money" was just way too over used.

Like I said, I'm not calling this a bad movie, because I can see why people got so into it, but I just didn't really enjoy it. I might give it a second shot just to see if there is anything there. Hopefully there is, otherwise my friend might question my expertise in movies. :D

• Nothing interesting goes on in this movie. Nothing funny. No likable characters. Terrible acting; faces like stone. Endless idiotic bickering. Even the sets are uninteresting. I gave it until the first commercial break and then let it finish as background noise while I finished a proofreading, occasionally glancing at the movie to see if the director should have changed his mind to the better, but the disappointment was the same at every glimpse. What's the idea with this movie? I don't get it. Did I overlook something? Like the director had to fill the movie with something, so I am told by the system that I have to fill in some more lines for this comment to be allowed. I hope these last phrases do the job.
  • ...namely, the plot of this movie. What was this movie supposed to be about? Given the sensationalism that surrounds this film whenever it comes up in a conversation, I really expected to sit and be entertained and laugh hysterically. Neither happened. There's this little clique of guys that seem to know everyone in Hollywood (other aspiring actors and club bouncers) yet are unable to get employment. The group goes from party to club to apartment (where they call each other 'bitch' while playing video games). As a bonus for the moviegoer sitting through this wretch of a production, Mike, the main character, has this annoying emotional baggage he carries around, and it goes on and on and on ad nauseum. I finally reached my breaking point when he left his seventh message on the answering machine IN A ROW. I walked out on this movie, and I was on an airplane! Two thumbs down!
  • vostf19 September 2007
    This movie is dedicated to the audience that will feel close to the main characters. Well that could be great if the audience was not limited to a community of people living in LA. Away from the place to be where wannabes and losers walk and run in circles, there's not much to be interested in, there's no deep, universal attraction.

It's not that Jon Favreau is not good but the character he wrote keeps whining the same way all along. That shouldn't be the main character, only a comic relief IMO. Vince Vaughn is great; it's just a pity that the movie is not more demanding, his character sillier.

And obviously Doug Liman did a great job to bring an anecdotal script to life. It's certainly well shot, but there's not much substance to start with. Apart from the technical aspect of a shoestring production and that of scouting Vince Vaughn, the movie is pointless.
  • lickikiti10 January 2006
    This movie is a joke i hated it and the title "swingers" is misued, swingers are primarily couples that swap partners for intercourse, for more on this is what the encyclopedia has to say - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swinging. So two lonely guys trying to get laid in a caravan is really not representing the title of this movie at all. The acting is also at best mediocre and the "one liners" are tacky. I do not recommend this movie to anyone, it demeans swingers, single guys and single women. Looking at the comments I cannot perceive how anyone enjoyed this or found it funny, everyone to their own I guess, but don't tell me i haven't warned you
  • That is not a mis-quote. I hated this movie. I hated every character in the film. This movie is an affront to modern civilization. Gee, good looking white guys trying to live like the rat pack. Give me a break. This movie reeks.
  • If there is a more vile, boring, wretched movie that has ever sprung from a festering cesspool of a writer's imagination, I have yet to see it. There is no plot to speak of, a bunch of painfully two-dimensional drunkards float from party to party and call each other "money". The writer, after apparently waking up in his own vomit and blearily looking at his typewriter and realizing this attempted to force a plot by having one of the character wave a gun at some straight-edgers. While in reality this would have resulted in said character being riddled with bullets (as myself and everyone in the room was eagerly hoping for), the straight-edgers just leave. End of conflict, end of plot. This movie took away precious minutes of my life that I can never have back. Save yourselves, avoid this like the plague!
  • wetwork-217 December 2000
    How tedious, a movie about a bunch of losers trying to get laid. This has been done about 1000 times before, yawn. It plays like a drama striving to be a comedy but missing the mark by a continent.

Do not buy, rent, or otherwise see this movie. There's plenty more celluloid in the sea. Zipp0 rating of 2/10.
  • It will be too soon. I can't even count on two hands how many times I heard these two words...in a sentence...together.

Besides this...minor gripe, Swingers was an average comedy. Vince Vaughn is kind of annoying in here, he's just a little know-it-all and he always seems to get under my skin. However, he played his part perfect as a scumbag.

The main character Mike (Jon Favreau), is almost unbearable to watch. He is so incredibly awkward, I can't help but feel horrible for this guy. And although I am sympathetic to his background story, his overall weirdness just didn't earn any brownie points with me.

The supporting cast is "blah" as well, but I do feel like Heather Graham was a standout. She brought a tad bit of class to the film.

Swingers has its moments where you can't help but laugh, but most of the dialogue is unimportant blabber on behalf of Vaughn...I'd give Swingers an "A" for effort, but it was definitely a sub-par comedy. (I also found it strange how basically every scene with Vince Vaughn and another man in it -- the other man always seemed to be all up on Vaughn...kinda strange.)
  • tedg5 September 2001
    Spoilers herein.

This is a film that is smart in that it knows itself and says so. It is a dumb film in that it knows what it has to do to be successful, and that's play to us bunnies -- not be the weak PG movie, but the R rated one.

Favreau the actor plays Ben Stiller less well than Stiller. Favreau the writer gets inspiration from and essentially steals from the `talk-across-the-diner-table' genre. Superficially this is Tarantino but of course QT lifted from an old tradition as well.

There IS some snappy dialog. There IS some self-reference. But (except possibly for the hockey game) it doesn't cut very deep when put next to, say, `Kahuna' or `Hurlyburly,' both of which mine the same human pathos.

The problem is that Favreau the writer is sitting down and thinking: I've got to seduce the audience. They're superficial, so the film has to be too. But at least I'll show my friends I'm not really Goofy by making the story about two guys talking about how superficial is the art of seduction. To make it obvious, everyone will be in the film business and have to do scummy jobs (like try to play Goofy).

These are better actors than the script. I have yet to see `Made,' and I'm told that they solved some of the problems they had with this project. I was very impressed by Vaughn in the `Psycho' metafilm. He understood what it was all about and was able to deliver both the `straight' performance and the modern commentary on it. In fact his DVD comment on that comment was great, too.