• Along with "X-Files" and "E.R.", this is one of the very few TV series that has consistently been able to keep my attention for more than a couple of episodes. The combination of good acting, nice storylines and intriguing court cases makes this series very interesting to watch.

Basically, "The Practice" is a drama about an unlikely group of lawyers that run a small law firm. Most remarkable is that these lawyers aren't all played by the usual super-handsome actors, but by people that might actually pass for lawyers in real life. This group of lawyers undergoes the usual array of romances, personal setbacks, and quarrels like in any drama serie. Nothing special, but certainly entertaining, and more importantly, almost always believable (as opposed to soap opera's where the most implausible things happen to the most implausible people all the time)

The real meat of the series, however, are the court cases, of which there are usually two to three in one episode. These are almost always creative, believable (nothing like the nonsensical cases in "Ally McBeal") and intriguing and often really make me think: "what would I do if I were the lawyer, judge, or juror?". Any series or movie that makes me actually think about ethical dilemma's (or anything else, for that matter) scores bonus points in my book. OK, so maybe the small law firm wins a little too many cases, and maybe they take the "moral high ground" a bit too often, but this doesn't really detract from the enjoyment.

"The Practice" combines enjoyable drama elements with some well thought-out and intriguing court cases into a formula that doesn't get old fast. Splendid !
  • I don't watch medical thrillers. I don't watch courtroom dramas.

Until now.

Fine acting, dialogue, and interesting legal situations--not to mention a slight sense of humor, perfectly blended with intense conflict--has hooked me into watching The Practice. I can't get enough of it. I never would have thought I'd get into a series about law.

It doesn't matter how you feel about courtroom dramas. This show is good television. I find myself glued to the TV on a daily basis, brought to tears on occasion. There is a humanity that runs through The Practice.

Since I'm not a law show buff, I can't say whether this one is better or worse than others. I'm simply a layman who finds himself tuning into FX every morning at 9:00 a.m.
  • Please - When are all 8 series of that fantastic programme, THE PRACTICE, going to be released on DVD?? When? When? When? For those who do not know the series, the following is a summary: Set in Boston, The Practice centres on a firm of passionate attorneys to whom every case is important and every client worth a fight to the end. Legal manipulations are the firm's modus operandi, and they have it down to a science, making even the most questionable arguments convincing. And while they can't — and don't — win every trial, the pursuit of justice remains the priority until the final verdict is announced … and sometimes afterwards. Pursuing justice, however, often confronts them with serious ethical and moral issues of conscience. But please - when is it coming out on DVD??
  • The Practice is a magnificent triumph created by one the most ingenious masterminds of the nineties, David E. Kelley. The Practice features the most incredible cast that a law series could hope for. My first impression was: "There is no way that these people aren't real lawyers, I mean, it's just not possible!" Dylan McDermott is fantastic as Bobby Donnell, Steve Harris riveting as Eugene Young, The beautiful Kelli Williams is exquisite as Lindsey Dole, and the rest of the cast (leading and guest) doesn't fall far behind.

Overall, The Practice has not only created brilliant entertainment for every television-owning family in the world, it has also inspired me to become a criminal defense attorney.

If you're not watching the Practice yet, wake up!

Thank you, Mr. Kelley, you make Monday nights in South Africa a pleasure!
  • The Practice is the only show on television that never fails to make me reconsider my views on some of the controversial issues in society today. The writing is the best I've ever seen on television, and I love the characters, but the best thing about the show is that it deals creatively with important topics, like euthanasia and attorney/client privilege. As long as The Practice continues to take my breath away every week, I will be a devoted fan.
  • "The Practice" is the best television series of all time, hands down! It has brilliant writing, excellent directing, fantastic filming, and most of all: the best acting ensemble ever in a television series. Let's start by reviewing the actors one by one:

First and foremost, Dylan McDermott is Bobby Donnell, a young, ambitious, complex lawyer and senior partner in the firm Donnell, Young, Dole and Frutt. McDermott portrays this part with pure excellence, and nothing can contradict this.

Steve Harris portrays Eugene Young, the ruthless, yet sensitive lawyer in the firm. He puts his clients before his believes of right and wrong. He has an 11'year old son, Kendil and an ex-wife Sharon (Aunjanue Ellis). Harris is absolutely incredible in his role and is the best performance ever by an actor in a television series.

Lindsey Dole is portrayed by the beautiful Kelli Williams, who gives everything she can to insure that only the best comes from her acting skills. Lindsey is a fighter, an expert at constitutional law. She isn't easily distracted by anything other than the love of her life, Bobby.

Camryn Manheim is brilliant. And not only that, she also makes an excellent statement for bigger women. Her performance deserved an Emmy, without a doubt. Her character, Ellenor, is a sensitive, yet strong person who will help her clients no matter what.

Lisa Gay Hamilton portrays Rebecca Washington, and does it very good indeed. "Beck" is a simple person, who fails to begin a social life because she is too caught up with her work. Rebecca enjoys her work, but pests wacko judges. She is a valuble addition to Donnell, Young, Dole And Frutt, and is the kind of lawyer you would like to have on your side if the need arose.

D.A. Helen Gamble is played beautifully by the excellent actress Lara Flynn Boyle. She is a lawyer who believes in doing what's right. Because of this she despises greatly of defense attorneys and the people they sometimes have to defend. Boyle perfectly portrays the heartless, and somewhat hate-filled person Helen is.

Michael Baddalucco is fantastic as Jimmy Berluti, the sweet, father-like lawyer of the firm. Berluti has no special knowledge of the law system, but his strength lies in the fact that he can come through to juries as a normal, regular guy. Baddalucco won an well deserved Emmy in his respect for his portrayal.

And last but not least, Marla Sokoloff plays Lucy Hatcher. She is the secretary of the firm, and is a quirky, fun person who can't keep her opinion to herself. This has created the firm some problems in the past, and will quite possibly continue to do so in the forseeable future. Sokoloff, although not yet a Hollywood veteran, handles the part as if she's played it for a long time.

The Practices' creator, David E. Kelley has once again created a masterpiece, and shows that he will make a success of whatever he does. None of his former productions can live up to this series. "Ally McBeal" is totally overshadowed by this exquisite television triumph. Guest appearances are top class, especially John Larroquette's excellent portrayal of Joey Heric. You will never, ever, in your entire life find another show like this one.
  • If you're not watching "The Practice",you're missing out! Don't sleep on it. One of the best series ever devised for television and it shows. This is one of the most riveting shows around today and for good reason. The actors are first rate,the writing is astounding,and the production is brilliant. What other show can topped it? None. Riveting courtroom drama at its very best. Not since "Perry Mason" has a show held its audience captive and keeps them in suspense until the last minute. This series ranks up there with David E. Kelley's "Boston Public",Dick Wolf's "Law and Order",and John Wells' medical drama "ER",and the paramedic drama "Third Watch". Kudos to all!!! Catch it Sundays on ABC-TV,and weeknights on FX.
  • I have seen David E. Kelley's other shows. Ally is OK. Picket Fences was good. Chicago Hope was OK. And now the Practice. The Practice is without question the greatest show put together through 6 seasons. I am dissapointed with season 7 (2002-2003) but the show has shocked me before, and I am not giving up.

The reason the Practice is the best show ever is 3 areas: Acting, Writing, and Casting. The main actors are superb with Jimmy Berlutti being the best. However, the most impressive is the casting and acting of the guest actors. I have never seen James Whitmore better as Raymond Oz. Michael Emerson as William Hinks. WOW Where did they find that amazing actor. John Laroquette as Joey Heric. WOW. I hated Night Court, but he is splendid in his 4 episodes of the Practice. I will never forget the judge that told stories and increased your sentence if you laughed. Who thinks of these stories? Michael Monks as the Podiatrist George Vogelman. WOW. Great choice there. I cant look at him anymore without believing he is a cross dressing killer in real life! And Richard Bay. WOW. The list goes on and on. And the writing. So many examples, but the final John Laroquette episode as a lawyer defending his gay lover to bury him, WOW. I clapped once that episode was over and sat stunned. I have a creative mind, but couldnt come up with that story in a million years. It is also the only show that I have seen that continues to bring back guest actors in the same role later in their lives. I wish they would bring back James Whitmore as Raymond Oz, but that may be too much since he lost his mind. And Judge Hiller, Kittleson, and Swackheim are so great.

The Practice may never recover from a poor start to the 7th season. If they don't, they still gave us the greatest 6 years in television history and I will always thank them for that.
  • It's even better than Dick Wolf's Law & Order. The Practice is David E. Kelley's masterpiece. The man behind Chicago Hope and Ally McBeal is a genius when it comes to television.

This show portraits a view of a corrupted world, which we must always face. Bobby Donnell is Kelley's most complex character yet. His life is a hell as well as the lives of all these lawyers who have messed them up. It's my second favorite show. Second only to Steven Bochco and David Milch's NYPD Blue. I like seeing Lucy along with the cast. This season is being incredible. Kelli Williams is putting one hell of a show as Rebecca Washington. Lara is also doing a great job like Helen Gamble and finally Camryn Manheim and Steve Harris are the two best of the show.

Congratulations to both David E. Kelley and Jeffrey Kramer. May The Practice win even more Emmy Awards and Golden Globes. I hope the networks don't even think about canceling it.
  • Network: ABC; Genre: Legal Drama; Content Rating: TV-14 (for language, adult content, and occasionally strong violence); Available: syndication; Classification: Contemporary (star range: 1 - 4);

Season Reviewed: Complete Series (8 seasons)

"The Practice" started humbly on Saturday nights and creator/super-producer David E. Kelley built it into one of the most unique legal dramas on TV. Courtroom dramas where, and still are in many ways, a popular thing, but "The Practice" deviated from the norm with a more intriguing concept. It is the story of, not just lawyers, but defense attorneys who struggle to do their job for the greater integrity of the legal system even if it means setting a guilty murderer Scott free. It puts some intriguing moral questions in the lap of the audience and lets us sort them out.

As the show progresses, these moral dilemmas take their toll on the characters. Bobby Donnell (Dylan McDermott) and Eugene (Steve Harris) become beaten down, intentionally getting the life literally pounded out of their once lively personalities. Jimmy (Michael Baddallucco) goes from grunt to whiner and Eleanor Front (Camryn Manheim) gets on her angry soap box and lectures everybody, on screen and in the audience, more and more. Helen Gamble (Lara Flynn Boyle) and DA Walsh (a good Bill Smitrovich) also appear on the edge of collapse by loosing to the firm. Lindsey (Kelli Williams) is increasingly driven mad, stalked by one client after another. Her mid-series marriage to Bobby brings about one of the most unhappy and chemistry-less unions in recent TV memory. Then there is Rebecca Washington (Lisa Gay Hamilton) whom I never cared for and Lucy Hatcher (Marla Sokoloff) whose perky act becomes refreshing the duller the main characters get.

No, "The Practice" may not be remembered for its protagonists, but there is a good chance it will be remembered for the villains that walk through the door as clients. Henry Winkler as a bug fetish dentist, John Larroquette Emmy-winning terrific as egomaniacal, homosexual serial killer Joey Heric, Michael Monks as the classically meek George Vogelman and Michael Emmerson as the series' creepiest character, William Hinks. The sheer nastiness of the defendants are where this show shines.

The longer it went the more tired of itself the show got. A season 7 client who thought he was Superman found a new low. I loved it sometimes and hated it others, but I kept watching. It kept dragging me along, through its improbability, recycled twists, deflating characters and Kelley's trademark political posturing. But it was a fun antidote to the dryer "Law & Orders" of the world. With Kelley's mountain of TV legal experience behind him and his trademark sensationalized execution. Kelley is also not above lengthy outbursts of psychotic violence to shock the audience. It is pot-boiler, melodramatic fun.

It is not hard-and-fast with the law, more of a laymen's "Law & Order", but some wild stories and ending twists give it an edge other shows don't have. "Practice" specializes in the shocking twist. There is an unforgettable, brilliantly set-up, dozy of a shocker at the end of the 3th season. There is a shocking, unsettling, death of a major character at the end of the 5th season. Both are series high seasons. I may not see a nun the same way again.

I swore I would never watch again after Kelley through a fit and a massive "budget cutting" round of firings gutted all but 3 members of the regular staff, including stout series star McDermott. In the 8th and final season Kelley seems to have lost interest entirely in this show and these characters. James Spader joins the cast to pump some life into it and pump he does. The show becomes must-see TV again following Alan Shore's (Spader) over-the-top antics and, constantly threatened with termination, wonder how far he will go next. Kelley refocuses and Alan Shore becomes his new love and Spader is larger than life.

The final few episodes of the series, including a drab finale, serve merely to set up Kelley's Alan Shore spin-off series, tentatively titled "The Practice: Fleet Street". If what we've seen already is any indication the new show is a logical transition from a dying one and something worth waiting for.

* * * / 4
  • The Practice is a neglected yet classic American Legal Drama Series. Over 8 seasons there are remarkably few poorly written episodes and those there are, come after Season 3.

Looking at the series as a whole the main characters could be called consistently inconsistent. Their moral boundaries are malleable to the point that ultimately they have no morals at all. This could be considered systematic of the profession but more likely, it is the cause of having to find new story lines and motivations week after week.

I assume that David E. Kelly realised his characters often professed morality as they tried to justify their immorality and seeing this paradox created the character of Alan Shore. Alan Shore sees the legal system for what it is, inherently corrupt, and unapologetically exploits that system.

Apart from the brilliant performance by James Spader, this unapologetic manipulation of a rotten system is what makes the character of Alan Shore so refreshing. The final season leaps into new territory with the introduction of Alan Shore. Shore renders the earnest posturing of the regular characters in The Practice as irrelevant, cynical and ultimately unconvincing.

There are two unforeseeable yet disturbing changes that occur during the seven year run of this legal show.

The first observation is the confusion caused within the American Legal community after the passing of the USA PATRIOT Act. What appeared to be a broken yet workable set of rules suddenly, with the passing of this unconstitutional act, reduces the whole legal system to mere pretence as "beyond reasonable doubt" no longer holds any validity.

The second unfortunate observation while watching the seasons in chronological order is the rapid alteration of the once beautiful Lara Flynn Boyle by way of plastic surgery. Episode by episode, her top lip changes in size, then it reduces again only to grow fatter yet again. Later her face alters almost beyond recognition as it has obviously been stretched and any natural movement and expression has been restricted. I for one, believe an actor should be required to grow old gracefully, allowing a history to be seen in the face.

There is a barbed comment in the pilot episode of Boston Legal that considers the abuse of surgical enhancement. Could this remark be a veiled reference to Lara Flynn Boyle and her constantly altering features?

I feel it is about time that the complete series of this excellent show should be released on DVD.
  • The series finale of THE PRACTICE aired Sunday night and although I have only watched the show a few times during its last season, I'd say the last season was the best season. The finale season had some of the strongest episodes in the show's history. James Spader really saved the show. For a few years, the show was really lacking and was really falling apart, but once James Spader was brought onto the show, it became better than ever. The show was on for a good seven years and while it probably should have been canceled a couple year ago, I'm glad it stayed on as long as it did. Overall, it was a great show, mainly thanks to the interesting story lines. I'm looking forward to the spin-off that is supposed to start this fall.
  • From 1997 to 2000, this was one of the best shows on TV. The interplay between the actors was topnotch; the show was involving, often both intense and funny within the same episode, and the large but extremely talented cast interacted to create some brilliant TV. These '97-'00 episodes are highly recommended, and fortunately they are in syndication on cable.

However, from 2000 on, it seemed that Kelley was either tired of the show or hated it, because the situations, plots, and scripting became evermore implausible and forced, sometimes ridiculous. The character of Lindsay was stalked by not one, not two, but THREE serial killers, testing the bounds of improbability (she wasn't THAT pretty).

Even worse, the main characters reverted to cliché. Lindsay was made into a shrieky neurotic, while Bobby became blustery and unstable. Eugene's character became bullying, obnoxious, and overbearing; Eleanor was thrown into the background and dragged out only to give this late version of the show some believability; Jimmy was once again reduced to a buffoon when he wasn't simply being used for wallpaper; and the lovely Lucy was simply dismissed altogether. Rebecca? She was disappeared so thoroughly you'd have thought a South American death squad took her.

The arrest and imprisonment of Lindsay for the killing of her third stalker/serial killer signaled the death knell for the show. Overwrought and over-dramatized, it began to lose viewers. Kelley then axed half of his cast and brought in James Spader as an extremely eccentric attorney to try to revive the series. Although Spader and new cast members brought moments of excitement, the damage had been done, and the show faltered to a halt in 2004, with some of the characters being brought over into another show.

Overall, despite the negatives I gave above, "The Practice" is well worth watching in reruns, especially the episodes before 2000. For the most part the cast did an excellent job, touching on topical issues with heart and conscience, and giving few easy answers. After 2000, though, the drop in quality is clearly evident. A shame, but such is life in television.
  • TV series about the personal struggles and conflicts a small criminal defense law firm and its lawyers face. District Attorney Helen Gamble (Boyle) is both friend and enemy to the firm.

Brilliantly acted and expertly crafted courtroom drama, with a sexy looking Lara Flynn Boyle standing out and giving the show a nice edge. Also Linda Hunt as one of the judges returned to top form with this series and reminded me exactly why she won an Academy Award. This show always manages to be suspenseful and exciting, yet sad, funny, romantic, and horrifying at times. The eposide that really stands out in my memory is the death row case, the one where the firm is sent to California, the once great defense attorney who kills his wife after losing his mind and the nun killer case. Quite possibly the best TV series to air within the past 20 years.

And to thank, I never watched this show thinking it was more hype then anything else, but I gave the show a chance after they started airing it on FX and I have been glued to my seat ever since. I watch the eposides that air on FX M-F at 9PM or if I miss an eposide I can watch it the next day on FX at 11AM in the morning. Also watch all the new eposides that air every Sun. at 10PM on 7 and a re-run at 1230AM late Sunday/early Monday. TV ratings range from TVPG to TV14; Sexual Situations and Graphic Violence.
  • miriammatzeder30 September 2004
    There is no question in my mind that "The Practice" was the best thing available on television for a long, long time. It is the only show for which I can recall a sense of mourning at show's end. My favorite character was Eugene. I admit to have had a feeling of panic to think the familiarity of the show would be broken up by a "movie star," but James Spader injected a lot of the thrill that David E. Kelley initially devoted to the show. The only bad thing I can say about the show is that I believe it began to sink when too much was invested in the unsubstantial relationship between Bobby and What's-her-name. The strength of the show was the characters' relationships with one another as LAWYERS, not LOVERS. The case details and the rotation of unusual plaintiffs and defendants were the attractions. The only other shows I bother viewing are the CSI programs, but I'm always going to miss "The Practice." Especially the character, Eugene, who bopped that child molester in his head right there in the courtroom. That single scene deserved an Emmy. I very much look forward to "Boston Legal." I just hope the thrill of James Spader and Denny...Denny Crane won't blot out the case-specific details, characters and truth and justice issues we so loved about "The Practice."
  • Jetset97113 December 2010
    I would have given "The Practice" a 10 out of 10 or at least a nine out of ten except for one thing, the last season. First let me talk about the good aspects of this show. Top notch cast and writing, excellent direction, crisp story lines and editing all combine together to make this an exceptional lawyer show. I really enjoyed the complex nature of the show as these professional lawyers struggle with ethical challenges that come with defending unscrupulous and deplorable clients. Yes, at times it got a little over used, but for the most part it enhanced the show immensely. For seven seasons I watch and admired this show for its daring bravado. However, in the last season they made a critical error, one that should be a cautionary tale to all television executives and producers. For whatever reason, contract disputes or orders from the top, the cast was literally gutted. Half of the top regulars, Bobby, Lindsey, Rebecca, and even Helen Gamble left the show. This had disastrous consequences. The remaining players did their best but this show was damaged beyond repair. To be fair, the introduction of James Spader as the silky snake attorney, Alan Shore, was a very welcome addition. Thankfully he was spun off to "Boston Legal". Still, he was not enough to salvage the rest of the show and it was just painful to watch the demise. Why do producers and directors of hit shows always squeeze the last drop out a show, when they know they should end it while its on top or at least not far from its prime? It is frustrating as all get out to me that they don't realize the obvious. Since they don't seem to even know what the word "obvious" means here is a list.(These are just a few. Go to "Jump the Shark" for a more complete list.)

Obvious signs you should end your show. 1. If you lose a key character or half of your main cast. 2. If your show has been on longer than 4 presidential elections.(Ahem, Simpsons) 3. See Jump the Shark.com
  • This show is undoubtedly the best show that has ever been aired on TV. The story line was always intense, the characters are strong and impact full, all the actors have done a brilliant job. I especially like the character of Lindsey Dowell and Bobby. Although I think that Eugine Young and Ellenor Frutt's characters were no less. I watched this show while I was in law school and it inspired me to take up criminal law. I am not such a huge fan of its sequel, Boston Legal, I think it can never be compared to The Practice. Boston Legal barely deals with law. Its more about sex and Allen Shore's long speeches. It is not griping and is not even a tad on The Practice. I definitely expected better from David E. Kelly after The Practice.
  • David E.Kelley's penchant for creating intelligent,edgy and twist-filled television probably had its most unadulterated,unfiltered network effort with this ABC offering,which ran for almost eight whole seasons.

The law firm of Donnell,Young and Frutt is a smallish firm that has built its rep on its smart,savage defense of clients of all stripe. The firm looks like this: Bobby Donnell(Dylan McDermot),the alpha male of the group,is also somewhat of a sex magnet,having affected relationships with both the icy DA(Lara Flynn Boyle)and his associate Lindsay Dole(Kelli Williams,also emitting cool sex appeal),among others. Eugene Young(Steve Harris)plows through his work as soldierly as possible,regardless of how much his moral standards(and this could really apply to about all of the litigators for this firm)take a beating from the work they are charged with. Jimmy Berdelli(Michael Badalucco)is a hard-working schlep who finds himself in as much deep dutch as the clients he covers. Eleanor Frutt(Camryn Manheim)is a very skilled and smart lawyer who has a mouth for a liability. Black,female lawyer Rebecca Washington(Lisa Gay Williams)seems to be an ostensible token here,as does perky but almost ill-fitted jail-bait secretary Lucy Hatcher(MArla Sokoloff).

As the show ran on,it seemed like the clients they took on became(I suppose inevitably)creepier,sicker and slimier. Some examples: the exasperated,accused wife killer Scott Wallace(Bruce DAvison), the philandering doctor who is(as it turns out)wrongly accused of killing--specifically:decapitating--his mistress,the meek nun-killer Geroge Vogelman(Michael Monks);the bug-fetishist dentist(Henry Winkler),Joey Heric(John Larroquette),the glib,homosexual serial killer;the snarling gangster Jackie Cahill(Doug Hutchson),who manages to kill off a semi-regular from prison;and scary,creepy William Hinks(Michael Emerson),whose guilt of murdering a string of single women is never in doubt,yet he's still effectively defended by the firm. And that's naming probably only a sample. Enough moral ambiguity is exploited here,and it proves effective,if albeit at the expense of the likability or respectability of the lawyers on BOTH sides.

And that's where my summary line comes from:as I watched this show for the most part loyally over most of its run,I found myself going from having any particular affinity,liking or respect slowly eroding as each character would stare at situations that SHOULD have easier answers,still take on the cases,THEN would stew over the consequences when what they feared would go wrong in fact DOES happen. Eventually,I found myself almost glad that each of these lawyers would find themselves being bit in the behind by the exact cases that they took despite the obvious dangers,whether abstractly or tangibly,that would come of them. Pretty much by the end,when they added on James Spader as the delightfully cunning and morally slippery(but refreshingly honest with himself)defense attorney Alan Shore,who now thrives wonderfully on "Boston Legal",the only likable characters to me was probably the secretary,Shore and the occasional eccentric that would end up being defended by the firm(a man who'd mentally snapped and began to think of himself as Superman/Clark Kent is one that comes to mind).

I suppose any television program who is willing to sacrifice their main characters' personas and likability(however easy or difficult that is),says something pretty good about the show itself. As much as this(or really,ANY Kelley t.v. show)program would flabbergast me from time to time,it never bored me and had me watching from beginning to end. I see this as the kind of show that "L.A.Law"strove to be,sometimes accomplished,but rarely stayed at. You might walk away disgusted or mad at this show,but it's not likely you'll come away forgetting it,either.
  • The Practice is easily the greatest legal drama ever created. It stands as one the greatest shows of the 1990s. The cast was great from top to bottom, headlined by the exceptional Dylan McDermott, Steve Harris, and Cameron Manheim. David E. Kelley crafted a brilliant show with exceptional writing and great character development. It is a shame that the Practice did not find a larger audience (it was only in the top ten once) because it was definitely worth watching. Even though I was a little bit disappointed with the last two seasons of the show (with the exception of the great James Spader) it is still a classic.

I can't believe this show has an IMDb rating of only of 7.2 it deserves a 10.
  • jasbar-14 July 2006
    I've just watched this series for the second time on UK TV. I want to watch it again. It should be played continuously.

Great characters, superb actors.

Great scripts, superb, well researched and topical story lines.

The producers didn't shirk from tackling real and contentious issues.

Bobby sitting alone in the office in the final episode, reminiscing, brought a tear to my eye.

There should be more.

Please that there will be more.

David E Kelley is to telly what Jim Steinman is to music.

Absolutely brilliant.

Can anyone explain why it is that the defence sums up first with the prosecution getting the final word? Here in the UK it is the other way round - fairer for the defence I think.
  • I just recently started watching the reruns of this TV serious "THE PRACTICE" and imediately fell in love with it. My husband found it one day by pure accident while channel surfing. Now he can't miss a single episode. I catch it as often as I can due to my work schedule. Last week he asked me to order the missing episodes (All seasons)for him on DVD as a Christmas present, but I couldn't find it anywhere, (thus the reason for me finding this particular website). Now, I've heard that it isn't even out yet. How terribly disappointing this is.

Neither one of us can remember the last time we'd been hooked on a television serious that caused us to fall victim to them so quickly, but this one was different. It was unsuspecting, yet willfully done. I can't wait to catch all the missing episodes. My only problem now is explaining why it won't be under the Christmas tree on Christmas morning. If you haven't seen this serious yet, you just don't know what you are missing. We absolutely love it.
  • "The Practice" is unique among lawyer shows focusing on the defense side of the table in that virtually all of their clients are guilty and they're defending them not because of any social injustice but because that's what defense attorneys do. In the early seasons Lindsey was on retainer to a drug lord and her character was almost predatory. It was refreshing to see attorneys who knew their clients were guilty as hell and spent their time trying to get evidence suppressed and ruthlessly attack witnesses (including a rape victim) to obtain reasonable doubt.

Unfortunately what was early on a fascinating drama of how the law is twisted and manipulated bogged down into a soap opera dreck where one character is being stalked and another character is on trial for murder and another is presented with some personal ethical dilemma. The writing over the last two seasons has gotten more idiotic and surreal with each new episode. With virtually the entire cast leaving the show, Kelly should fold his tent and disband "The Practice."
    TV legal dramas aren't documentaries, and they're not supposed to be (of course), but if there's one series that comes close to reflecting real life practice, it has to be The Practice.

It's a series where not all th good guys win, but some of the bad guys do, and unfortunately that's real life. Suits is Suits, but The Practice is true to life in many respects. One of the most heart breaking episodes was when the firm did everything possible to save a black guy from execution, when really he was mentally incapacitated.

I say to people who loved Boston Legal, make sure to watch The Practice.
    Dear David E. Kelley,

Why oh why did you write this superb television series, and then ditch the formula and half the regular cast from season 8 ???????????

The Practice easily knocks spots of anything shown today that comes from your country, America.

Watching The Practice took me back to the days of Hill Street Blues, Cagney and Lacey, L.A Law, NYPD Blue. American Drama Television writing at its best.

But The Practice beat the lot hands down.

However, James Spader's introduction threw The Practice into second gear , and without the full regular cast the heart went out of the programme as far as I was concerned.

At the tail end of the series, Steve Harris who played Eugene Young to the hilt, made it to the bar and became a Judge. Might I suggest with your excellent writing skills, you develop a new series here around his success as a Judge. ?

In general The Practice, series 1 to 7 only, has been an excellent American Drama, the best ever.. Characters you warmed to, and cared about. Series 8 was cold. James Spader was totally miscast. Well done David E. Kelley and all concerned in the series.
  • If the show Ally McBeal is the slightly ditzy yet pretty teen sister, The Practice would be its handsome brooding older brother. I am currently rewatching this show, and it amazes me how it doesn't look dated at all.

Each and every member of Bobby's law firm (and also Helen from the DA's office) brings something to the table (yes, even you Lucy).

Obviously, some legal things were not legal yet back then (marijuana, same sex marriage), but the general issues are still the same (good vs bad, morality vs ethics, duty vs. heart). This show clearly resonates the law and the people who are passionate about it. I miss shows like these. Today, we are bombarded by superheroes and pointless laugh track comedy shows which does nothing to enhance one's sense of self. Sad.

In a perfect world, Mr. Kelley would do another "The Practice" show (same legal universe with some of the old characters brought in as mentors). That would be awesome. =)