User Reviews (165)

• Mr. Bean (Rowan Atkinson) is a London museum guard who is about to be fired by middle management. The big boss, however, won't hear of it; instead, he sends Mr. Bean to America. Once there, Mr. Bean is to pose as an art critic and give a rousing speech about Whistler's mother for a California art museum. Well, the museum director picks Mr. Bean up at the airport and pandemonium is the name of the game after that. Mr. Bean upsets the director's household, creates havoc at a local amusement park, blows up dinner and more. On top of that, he rarely speaks so everyone is certain he is an idiot. Can this man transform himself into an art critic and will he be able to present a speech on the museum's big day?

This movie is just flat-out fun. Although he has very little dialogue, Mr. Bean's expressions and antics are priceless. The supporting cast does a reasonably good job but Mr. Bean towers over everybody. This movie should be required viewing for anyone in a depressed state of mind; it can lift the spirits of even the saddest beings on earth. Recommended for a fine family evening of giggles and leg-slapping.
    I had never seen any of Rowan Atkinson's performances as Mr. Bean when this movie came out in 1997, so I knew nothing about it when I went to see it other than that it was about the zany adventures of this strange looking man on the movie poster. He strikes me as one of those comedians that you either completely love or completely hate, because his comedy is so extreme. It's not the kind of thing that you can watch and just sort of like or not really care for. It's one of those movies where it's not surprising to see people walk out in the middle while other people are just about falling out of their chairs laughing so hard. Personally, I was one of the latter.

I admit that Bean certainly deals in a very childish sort of humor. This is, by definition, slapstick comedy, and it is certainly not for all tastes. But from the movie's opening scene, which shows Bean gleefully shaving his entire face with an electric razor (including his forehead and even his tongue), you know that this is what the movie is like, so you can't really hold that against it.

The story in the film is clearly one of those that is invented for the movie and then manipulated to fit the screenplay and to work nicely into the movie. It's not that hard to realize that such a huge art gallery could be fooled for so long by someone like Mr. Bean, thinking that he's a genius, and certainly no way that he would be left alone with a $50 million painting long enough to remove it from the vault and rub paint thinner into it, but on the other hand, the rest of the comedy fits so nicely into this plot. At the very least, there are relatively realistic situations thrown into an unrealistic plot, which makes the movie enjoyable even though you don't really take it seriously.

There is a wonderful scene, for example, where Bean sneezes on the painting of Whistler's Mother, and then he tries to wipe off the spray with his handkerchief, which has been smeared with a leaky pen. So the painting gets smeared with ink, and he grabs the first can he sees off a nearby shelf, which happens to be paint thinner. It cleans the ink off nicely but then causes the paint to boil off, and then Bean frantically tries to save it by wiping it even harder, rubbing the paint off right down to the canvas. Sure, this is not the mark of an intelligent mind, but that's the point of the whole movie.

Bean is a film that relies on the fact that humans are so amused by the misfortunes of others. There's something funny about seeing someone else get into a sticky situation, and in movies like this, they do just that and things only get worse and worse. Granted, there are a million ways out of every situation that Bean gets into that would be less painful than the routes that he chooses, but if he took them there would be no movie. Consider, for example, the bathroom scene where a man walks in on Bean as he appears to be getting a little too friendly with a hot air dryer. He quickly grabs a light bulb pretending that he had been examining it, and then the man leaves and Bean drops the hot bulb to break on the ground and when he goes to run cold water over his burnt fingers the water sprays his crotch again. Total slapstick, but that's funny!

Like I said, Bean is not a movie for all tastes. But there is a place for childish humor in movies, and that place is in movies like this. It certainly can be taken too far or simply done wrong, as in the case of movies like the American Pies or the Scary Movies, etc., but Bean is a movie that knows what kind of comedy it delivers, and it knows how far to go before things just descend into vulgarity and bad taste. It's a comedy that does not pretend to be anything that it's not, and for that it should be respected. It is also, by the way, the kind of a comedy that allows for an almost innumerable amount of sequels. While I can certainly see it being vastly overdone, I would just like to say that if a couple more Bean movies were to be made, I would be among the last to complain!
  • For those of you who loved watching Mr Bean, this movie doesn't fail to disappoint you. I saw this last night and laughed my head off, in fact, I think I was laughing more than when I was seeing Johnny English(also starring Atkinson).

For those who really love the TV series, a few of the gags have been redone, including the vomit bag joke, the turkey head and the fast ride (the latter is so damn funny).

So if you love Rowan Atkinson or love Mr Bean, go see this film!
  • This is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen, and in my opinion it is among the ranks of the legendary Monty Python.

"Bean" is about the infamous Mr.Bean, a lazy buffoon who manages to cause problems in even the simplest of tasks. In this movie, he works at an Art Gallery and the management desperately want to get rid of him. Rather than fire him, they send him to Los Angeles to unveil the painting, "Whistler's Mother". An American named David Langley allows Mr.Bean to stay in his house during his visit against the will of his family. This turns out to be a huge mistake.

This movie is roll-out-of-your-chair-laughing funny. Rowan Atkinson's acting is beyond excellent, and all of the other characters are good as well.

The only thing I can find to nitpick about this movie is that there is not a very strong plot. The movie is basically a line of connected humor skits. I personally do not mind this too much, but if you are looking for a movie with a story that can be made into a book, look elsewhere.

If you enjoyed the Mr.Bean series and like "disaster" movies, this is the perfect movie for you!
  • How can anyone not LOVE this movie. It has to be the greatest comedy made in the 1990s. IT HAS TO BE. Rowan Atkinson is an incredible slapstick comedian. He is one of the great comedy performers of all time, ranking alongside Chaplin, Keaton, Fields, The Marxes, Tati, Brooks and Allen. This was a really popular movie when it was released in the Spring of 1997-and with good reason. If there could ONLY be more movies like this. I'm a big fan of Atkinson's TV shows MR BEAN, BLACKADDER and of course THE THIN BLUE LINE. Do yourself a favor and see this movie!
  • Although the storyline is quite different to the usual ones in the tv show, the movie still captures the clumsiness and total annoyingness of the character of Mr Bean. Rowan Atkinson is great and so are the other actors in the film. I really enjoyed this, probably more because it wasn't a disaster like the tv show usually is. In other words Bean didn't stuff up as much. there were some great scenes involving the painting and in the hospital. I recommend it to those comedy fans and for anybody who can withstand the lunatic behaviour of Mr Bean.
  • I love the old Mr. Bean television show. It's just plain funny. Mostly because the show does NOT rely on expensive props or fantastic situations--just Rowan Atkinson showing off his amazing talent with very little assistance from others. In fact, his supporting actors are more props than anything else--someone to help further along the skits and that's all.

Mr. Bean, the movie, though it far different. Instead of the barest of plots and sets as well as incidental actors, everything is forced into a REAL plot with more $$$ thrown into the effort since it is a movie. In effect, though, the whole chemistry has been upset and it is only a pale imitation of the original. No, some big exec thought it would be wonderful to spend a lot of money and force Mr. Bean to be rather conventional. Yes, some of the old gags are there, but they just seem forced--the energy is all missing.

So, if you hate this movie or found it to be only exceptionally average, join the club. BUT, do not make the mistake of assuming the TV show is equally bland. Grab the DVD set and give it a try--only the biggest curmudgeons alive wouldn't find them great entertainment.
  • "Bean" is the average but warm-hearted, large screen adventure of Rowan Atkinson's bumbling but strangely likable character.

With a smörgåsbord of talent behind this film, there are a few genuine laughs but, sadly, they're few and far between. This film could have been so much better in the hands of another director. Mel Smith appears to have been on cruise-control making this movie. It's a case of comedy by numbers and the film never seems to shift gear.

The always amusing Peter MacNicol is excellent as the suffering David Langley and provides the perfect foil to Atkinson's Bean.

An average comedy movie, it's worth a viewing if there's nothing else on the television.
  • I grew up watching Mr. Bean when I was little on HBO and I LOVE(D) IT!! Still a die-hard fan today. I remember my dad rented this movie for me when I was 6 years old and I cracked up for hours!! This movie also has a great plot involving Mr. Bean going to L.A. to "baby-sit" Whistler's Mother, a well-known painting who has finally returned to America at last for 2 months after his bosses fire him for not doing his job at the Royal National Gallery. I would have to say, if you love Rowan Atkinson and Mr. Bean and have never seen this movie before, I'd say WATCH IT! An excellent movie for the whole family (and friends)!!! A film every Mr. Bean fan should see!!! 10/10: a hilarious movie.
    As a kid, I love Mr. Bean. This movie directed by Mel Smith was my first glimpse of the Rowan Atkinson's character and I thought it was hilarious at the time. It was one of the first British shows, I saw as a kid, since were hard to come by, in the U.S at the time. When, I finally got hold of seeing the show, I found out that most of the skits in the movie were recycled from the TV Show such as the turkey joke from the 7th episode of Mr. Bean, 1992's 'Merry Christmas Mr. Bean'. Another joke is the Mr. Bean popping a vomit filled bag is from 1992's sixth episode 'Mr. Bean Rides Again'. Even my favorite jokes like getting bored on a fast ride is from 1993's ten episode 'Mind the Baby, Mr. Bean' & the mishap with the painting is similar to 1990's 'The Library'. I was deeply disappointed to find these out as I thought these jokes were made for the movie. So I felt bad for European fans who thought they were getting something new with this 82 minutes movie, only to find out that it just a bunch of recycled jokes from the show. Still, this movie is still watchable, and I find myself time after time, watching its crazy humor. Bean: The Movie is about Mr. Bean (Rowan Atkinson) who works as a London museum guard. He is about to get fired. However, the big boss mistakes him for a great art critic and sends Mr. Bean to America. The Gallery entrusted him to unveil the priceless painting, Whistler's Mother to the American Art Gallery in Los Angeles. In America, Mr. Bean stays with David Langley (Peter MacNicol), the man in charge to make sure no mishaps happen during the unveiling. What we doesn't know is that the man, he's in charge of taking care of, is a complete moron. While the original choice, Steve Martin couldn't play David Langley. Peter MacNicol did an amazing job as the straight man in the gags. I love his reaction to every calamity from anger to despair. There is something comical coming from him. My favorite is David reacting to the painting. That had me dying laughing at the floor. Also, it didn't hurt to see a cameo by Burt Reynolds as General Norton as he was given some good one-liners. About Rowan, he strikes me as one of those comedians that you either completely love or completely hate, because how annoying clumsy and mean-spirited, Rowan is as Mr. Bean. The humor was pretty childish with a lot of gross slapstick humor, but nothing too bad for the children. It was rated PG-13. One of the biggest complain of the movie from fans is how Mr. Bean speaks intelligibly, albeit with apparent difficulty, as opposed to his frequent mumbling in the TV show. In my opinion, I thought it was alright. Although he has very little dialogue in the film, Mr. Bean's expressions and antics are priceless. One thing, I love about the film is the soundtrack. The film's original score was by Howard Goodall was great. The film score is utterly beautiful, and I think it's underrated from music fans! It's way too good for this film. Other non-original songs were also featured, in particular The Beatles' "Yesterday" sung by Wet Wet Wet and OMC's version of Randy Newman "I Love L.A.". The movie had some pretty good smart, in depth emotional scenes, that was surprising from a silly comedy. Get the DVD for a lot of delete scenes material that is also pretty hilarious. Bean would later get another movie in 2007, Mr Beans Holiday, which was a little truer to the original series, but this movie is far better than that movie. This movie is just flat-out fun. I think Peter MacNicol's character, David Langley sum up the film for me. I don't know what to say about Bean. He is clearly a force ten disaster area, but God help me, I like him.
  • Despite only having fourteen episodes, "Mr. Bean" was a VERY successful TV series, developing a well-deserved reputation for its excellent visual humour! Two years after the show's demise, it was decided that it was time to bring Rowan Atkinson's character to the silver screen. The result was "Bean" (a.k.a. "Bean: The Ultimate Disaster Movie"), but unfortunately, this didn't turn out to be nearly as good as the classic TV series, and has disappointed many fans, including me.

Mr. Bean works as a caretaker for England's Royal National Gallery, and is one lousy employee (as one would probably assume), constantly sleeping on the job! Because of this, the board of directors plans to fire him, but the chairman will not permit this. The Grierson Gallery in Los Angeles has just purchased the famous "Whistler's Mother" painting, and curator David Langley has requested that the Royal National Gallery sends an art scholar to make a speech at the unveiling of the painting. Since the board of directors can't fire Bean, they see this as an opportunity to get him out of their lives, at least temporarily, so they send him, under the name, "Dr. Bean"! David Langley has no clue that Bean is not a doctor, nor is he even an art expert, and the painting could now be in danger because of him! Not only that, the presence of the Royal National Gallery's terrible employee may also threaten the future of poor David's job and family!

This movie's main problem is that it simply isn't nearly as consistently funny as the TV series. There are quite a few funny parts, I can't deny that, but I think most of them only made me smile or snicker, not enough big laughs, which there are a lot of in the show! Also, some gags from the show are repeated in this movie, and were done better the first time. These include Mr. Bean falling asleep while sitting down and gradually falling onto his knees and head (I guess that one is not as funny when nobody else is in the picture), and getting his head stuck in a turkey dinner (the main reason why it's not as funny this time is probably because the turkey isn't as big). Now, this movie did introduce some new and funny gags, but none of them can match some of the priceless ones in the show. None of the other characters really add much to the humour, and sadly, Mr. Bean cannot steadily carry it all by himself throughout the entire thing. Towards the end, I've found the film gets a bit tiring.

Overall, I would say "Bean" was not a bad first attempt to bring the world-renowned walking disaster to the silver screen, but hardly a good one, either, they certainly didn't completely pull it off. I am only one of many fans who have been disappointed by it to some degree. I certainly don't think it's something to watch for non-stop laughs over and over again, and that's pretty much how I would describe many of the short sketches, which I'm sure many would agree with. I think most fans of the show would at least find SOME laughs in this movie, but it seems that some fans hate it, so that's certainly not a guarantee.
  • In Los Angeles, the Grierson Gallery makes the most expensive acquisition of its history, the painting "Whistler's Mother", from the Musee d'Orsay of Paris. The direction of the gallery requests the presence of an authority from the British Royal National Gallery for the opening solemnity. The board of the British gallery, trying to get rid off Bean, sends him to USA. The young American executive David Langley (Peter MacNicol) assumes that the clumsy Bean is a great authority in Arts, and invites him to stay at his home. It is unnecessary to say the confusions that he gets on in USA. I am not a follower of the character of Mr. Bean, but yesterday I laughed a lot. The silly story is so funny, that should be recommended for PMT and bad mood days. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): ` Mr. Bean – O Filme' (`Mr. Bean – The Movie')
  • decamps26 April 2003
    Mr Bean the movie is cruely lacking of inspiration. It is simply a patchwork of the TV series, which is definitely very disappointing. The film itself is not bad, however, and people who haven't seen all the TV episodes can really enjoy the film.
  • If you've watched the Mr Bean show, you know Rowan Atkinson has talent. He's got the comedic styling and character details to make him a lovable goofball. The movie version is cute, but it doesn't have the impact of the show. Atkinson puts his heart into it, and it definitely shows. It just sometimes seemed too silly, even for Mr Bean. This movie is definitely more directed at the children to enjoy the show, and it will entertain them. Adults who enjoy the show will probably find a chuckle or two. Its mostly juvenile humor, and they're the ones who'd really appreciate it. From a technical standpoint, it's perfectly fine in cinematography, acting, and composition. I'd recommend this movie for a family with preteen kids. It's just the thing for a lazy Saturday night.
  • STAR RATING: ***** Saturday Night **** Friday Night *** Friday Morning ** Sunday Night * Monday Morning

At a renowned art gallery in Los Angeles, a major event in the shape of the unveiling of one of the most famous American portraits of all time, Whistler's Mother, is about to happen. But the yanks need an art expert from Britain to come over and give an analysis of the painting, so they call on their friends in The Royal National Gallery of Art in London to send over one of their finest experts on the subject. Unfortunately for them, the heads of the gallery are more interested in using this as an opportunity to rid themselves of their most inept and detested employee Mr Bean (Rowan Atkinson) passing him off as an expert and sending him across the pond to the care of Dr Langley (Peter MacNicol.) Intently interested in Bean and what he's got to say, the poor man and his family have no idea what they have just let themselves in for as disaster and calamity ensue before the big day of the unveiling.

Mr Bean the series certainly enjoyed a huge following over here but I'm surprised it sustained a big enough following to warrant such a big budget production as this. I'm not sure how well this did in the states or on which side of the pond most of the filming took place on but whatever way you look at it, this just takes the concept of the series and mangles it up rather, leaving us with a film that nowhere near manages to capture the magic and charm that the series did. It's funny in places, but generally this has added more of an American edge to the Bean formula which misunderstands the humour of Bean. In the series, it was never that Bean was an outright idiot- he was just a man who perceived the world a little differently to everyone else and tended to do things his own way, sometimes with catastrophic consequences. Here he is presented as a typical sort of slow-minded dolt of the sort you see trotted out in many American comedy films, robbing him of his distinctively innocent edge that carried him through the series.

Other things aren't right with the film too, including the naff plot and script which are flawed and fail to hold together. The film will make you laugh in places but it mostly mangles the humour of what makes Bean Bean and is funny because of this, not what made Bean so great in the first place. **
  • tomcomer-4175126 September 2018
    A film that sounds like it could go down in the records for possibly the worst movie ever but Rowan Atkinson really nails the role of Mr Bean in this amazing film that will make your sides hurt. Usually films with slapstick humor fail but the slapstick humor in The Bean Movie makes up for a very funny film and balances it perfectly.
  • No getting away from it, to fully immerse oneself with this comedy it really helps if you are familiar with the character of Mr Bean in the first place. Rowan Atkinson is a British comedy genius, an unassuming man in real life, his comedy creations such as Edmund Blackadder, Inspector Fowler and Mr Bean have had the British Isles in raptures for many a year. With this here big screen debut for Mr Bean the timing was right, American audiences got something new to have a look at and Britain got an extended TV episode before the joke wore thin. Job done then, the gags work well, from embarrassing water stain moments to an exploding turkey, the laughs are there for the discerning film fan. But if it has a rewatch factor then one can't be sure, yet this film prompted a sequel in 1997 as Mr Bean went on vacation, so in that, this film made its mark for sure.

But ultimately you can surely only have so much of Mr Bean.......

6/10 for the irrepressible work of Rowan Atkinson.
  • Yes, this movie was funny, sometimes. Some jokes and gags were good but other were simply stupid. Rowan Atkinson is very good in his character. If you're a fan of the TV-show, you should like this movie. The only problem, it's that while the TV-show is about 30 minutes or so, this one keeps on going for 90 minutes. After a while, you tend to get a little tired of the same old Bean's misadventures.

Out of 100, I gave it a generous 70.
  • Not a patch on the tv series, in which Mr Bean had a penchant for petty nastiness and childishly knowing humour. Without these aspects, the character is simply an idiot, stumbling through the plot like a clueless dolt who is in a situation that is way over his head.

And that seems, to me, to be another problem with the film.... It has a plot (albeit not much of one). The original never needed a plot, being a collection of skits that just happened to involve the same character. It might have been nice for the film to be a big-budget version of this (and I seem to remember there being a filmed version of the "Bean meets The Queen" sketch) but, well, we weren't given it. Pity, really. *shrug*
  • I just don't see how anyone was able to take a character as funny as Mr. Bean, nor an actor as funny as Rowan Atkinson, and make such a terrible, terrible movie.

Mistake number one: serious, tear-jerker subplots. Not only were they hokey, they were completely counter to the free, unfettered, occasionally mean humor that Mr. Bean usually represents.

Mistake number two: Peter MacNicol. This guy has always been one of the worst actors I've ever seen. Name a movie where he was funny... I bet you can't.

A good Mr. Bean movie would have been a Jacques Tati-like flick, with little dialogue and faith in the character's visual humor. This movie apparently made huge money in Asia, where (I'm guessing) the TV series never played. I'm sad to think how many people in the world think they know Mr. Bean, but all they know is this pale imitation of one of the funniest characters ever to appear on television.
  • I saw this movie with Emily and Natalie, who became a fan watching some of the Mr Bean TV episodes.

To get rid of him, Mr. Bean is sent on a mission to California to escort the world famous painting of "Whistler's Mother" to its new home in the Grierson Gallery, figuring he couldn't screw that up. What the gallery owner, one of the richest men in America, and his curator David Langley believe, is that Mr. Bean is Dr. Bean, a renowned art expert. In fact he is just a sleepy-headed, wildly eccentric museum guard. He is also the clumsiest, craziest, wackiest, wildest, most bizarre character they have ever come across, and certainly not someone you would entrust one of the world's most valuable paintings to. It is the kind of movie where you sit back and see what new mischief Mr Bean can get himself into.
    I'm a big Atkinson fan, and have enthusiastically watched all the episodes of Mr. Bean and Black Adder, but this movie is simply terrifying.

First of all, most of the jokes performed by Atkinson are old and dry. They do not successfully fit in the movie's premise of a happy American family caught in the middle of an euro-American cultural gap. Atkinson's character is erroneously portrayed as some kind of alien drawn into the mecca of modern civilization (is he stupid enough to not even know how to behave properly in a car?), what proves to be kind of derogatory to his comic persona.

Secondly, it's kind of derogatory to Americans as well. The commercial frenzy built around the exposition points out, even if strictly fictionally, the ugly part of the behavior towards art in contemporary America. Reynolds's character, a distinguished and respected general who can barely tell a "Picasso from a car accident", is another prove of that. It just gets painful when the paint is presented in a futuristic like platform with steel vault door and tons of dry ice smoke.

I'm no experienced movie critic myself, and I can't say how well 'Bean' is directed, or if the actors behave in it as actors should, but I do feel that kid flicks (i found no better way to classify this movie) shouldn't beckon so strongly such a temporaryistic ideology.
  • The TV series is a classic of a comedy series, so naturally this film had a lot to live up to. It comes close, but overall it isn't a patch on the TV series. Starting with the few I had, the plot is rather generic and somewhat predictable in areas too, and I think while making an effort to stick to the spirit of the series is rather thin for the running time. Also some of the melodrama is rather sappy for my tastes. On the other hand, the film does look great, so is the soundtrack, the physical comedy is laugh-out-loud-funny, Peter MacNicol is good in his conventional role and Rowan Atkinson is brilliant as Mr Bean. All in all, there is much to enjoy but it does fall short of the series. 7/10 Bethany Cox
  • The main charm of the Mr. Bean TV series was that the action of each episode took place within a ten-minute time-frame, reducing the risk of making the character's deeds too extravagant or unrealistic. That's where the feature-length version eventually fails: at a certain point it runs out of clever ideas and just keeps on going, hoping the protagonist's antics will be entertaining enough. Shame, because the first half of the movie may not be a comedy classic, but it is nonetheless very funny.

The premise of the whole thing is Mr. Bean (Rowan Atkinson) has mysteriously managed to get a job at the National Gallery in London. His colleagues can't stand him (hardly surprising, considering he's essentially a five-year old trapped inside an adult body),and since firing the guy isn't an option (the boss doesn't agree), they decide to get rid of him by sending him to Los Angeles, claiming he's an art expert who will comment on the Grierson Gallery's latest acquisition: the portrait of Whistler's mother. Naturally, Bean knows absolutely nothing about art, or any cultural item for that matter; instead, he's a master when it comes to causing disasters, and he will cause plenty of them, putting the marriage and career of his host (Peter MacNicol) at risk. As long as he is around, L.A. is no longer a safe place to go.

Like many other comedies featuring stupid people, Bean: The Movie has no hidden message or subtext for the audience to detect; its sole purpose is to entertain, and as long as it stays within the main storyline it succeeds. What Bean does in that context may appear excessively surreal to some, but thanks to Atkinson, who believes in the character and treats him like a normal person, making the performance transcend pantomime, the gags are consistently funny and, in their own way, believable. Once the film ventures elsewhere, however, it feels like most of the jokes were padded on just to increase the film's running time. The entire last section is like this, and even the main actor seems to be going on autopilot in those bits. As for the supporting cast, MacNicol does a decent job (although his character's belief that Bean might actually be able to do good things becomes less convincing as the story proceeds), while the only real "big name", Burt Reynolds, is given a cameo that can have been great on paper, but sadly doesn't allow him to do much on screen.

So, genius or rubbish? I'd say somewhere in between: watching Bean won't affect the viewer's life in any significant way, but the film is fun enough to justify a look on a boring afternoon.
  • To put it mildly, I fall asleep rather quickly at the sight of British "comedies." However, thanks to this film, I will actively seek out the Mr. Bean videos. Bean, The Movie, is close to being one continuous laugh-a-thon that should be able to brighten even a Scrooge's day. Beware, you may laugh so much that you may forget to breathe. Great for viewing with family or friends.