User Reviews (501)

• Adrian-324 December 1999
    "Chasing Amy" is a clever and engaging urban love story that just exudes with Kevin Smith's gritty humour. The film's examination of sexuality, and everything involved with it, doesn't for one second sound untrue, even when it makes sure that everything being pointed out is expressed frankly and colourfully. It's not everyday we get a story of a heterosexual man falling in love with a homosexual woman, and although the concept could easily have resulted in a disaster of a movie, "Chasing Amy" manages to layer everything almost flawlessly. There are no predictable pitfalls in this film, and nothing is wrapped up in a neat little package. We are offered a group of characters that are likable but flawed, who don't always get, or give, what we would usually expect. I have to say, I never knew what was going to happen next, it manages to be consistenly offbeat without being unrealistic. Ben Affleck and Joey Lauren Adams have incredible chemistry together, perfectly displaying all the emotional complications a relationship as eccentric as theirs would have. Jason Lee was also outstanding in his role of the vaguely jealous best friend. The only thing that bothered me about this film was there was too much YELLING!! and it was slightly uneven at times. But generally I liked it a lot, and I'm just thankful that Kevin Smith is producing such fine work like this, it is truly a refreshing escape from Hollywood's formulaic sap.
  • "Chasing Amy" has to be the best love story of 1997. It was emotional, gripping, funny, sad, heartwarming, and had some great jokes. How could anyone deny that this screenplay was anything less than original, or perfection. Absolutely intoxicating. The performances were right on and the writing was magnificent. Kevin Smith is, without a doubt, one of the best new writers. With this movie he goes to a whole new level. "Clerks" was great, and I think I'm one of the five people that enjoyed "Mallrats", but "Chasing Amy" takes the cake. Nothing else came even close that year. That movie should have made a star out of Joey Lauren Adams. She gave the BEST performance in 1997 and was robbed of an Oscar nomination, as was the script. The scene outside of the ice rink is more than enough to show just how good she was. And anyone who can watch that ending, the you don't know if you should cry or jump for joy ending, and not feel something, is heartless. The movie was great. It is one of my personal favorites, and will always be.
  • My all-time favourite film! Kevin Smith creates such truly endearing, eccentric, quirky characters, and then manages to cast actors who seem destined to play their roles. Joey Lauren Adams steals the show (we need to see more of this brilliant gem!), and the Jason Lee / Ben Affleck dynamic is really powerful - all of the actors appear so natural and comfortable, and Jason Mewes is a gift from God (and that's coming from an athiest!). A beautifully written conversational comedy that very gently uncovers the hypocrisy surrounding gender relationships. This film goes way beyond the 'acceptance of sexual preference' cliche, and instead concentrates on the insecurities that all human beings are born with - gay or straight! Mr Smith, you are truly a genius!!!
  • To me a film can have no action and no real special effects and still be great. If that film can take it's characters and make them interesting by making them speak the way we know people do, then you are left with a fantastic film. So is the case with Kevin Smith's wonderful film Chasing Amy.

For anyone who thought that Ben Affleck couldn't act, watch this movie and enjoy how he plays Holden. He is honest in his approach to a character that is as complex as any great movie character. Also cast perfectly is Joey Lauren Adams as his girlfriend and Jason Lee is so good as Banky, his best friend and business partner that I really could have seen him with an Oscar nod that year.

Kevin Smith's strength is that he knows how people talk and he is honest in his assessment of his characters. And that is what makes this film the gem that it is. And did I mention that it is a wonderful romance and it is wickedly funny?

If all you've ever seen of Kevin Smith is Clerks, then check out this awesome flick. It certainly makes you appreciate how good Smith is at writing characters. A really great film.

Note**** If anyone is a true fan of Jaws ( and I, like Smith think it is the greatest movie ever made ) then watch for the scene in Jaws where Hooper and Quint compare wounds to be parodied hilariously in this film.
  • Love stories are difficult to do well. So is comedy. Kevin Smith does both. Very very well.

Chasing Amy is, in my opinion Kevin Smith's best movie (Clerks 2nd, Dogma 3rd) and I really don't know where to start the praise.

Traditionally, Hollywood romantic comedies are... well, bad. Really lame PG-13 comedy, with some catch phrase repeated ad nauseum, and always some sort of "hilarious" incident involving a baby or a cute dog. And the characters are just as annoying as the lame jokes, so ultimately, you don't really care about whether or not they get together in the end.

Chasing Amy is different. These characters are lifelike.This isn't a romantic comedy for teenage girls. It's a movie for adults. Almost everyone can relate to being a situation where they've loved someone so much, but due to certain circumstances, you just weren't able to have that person. And I guess that's what Amy's all about. Unrequited love. Well, Unrequited love and sexual identity, but that's another topic for another day.

The real genius of this film is that for all it's serious themes, it manages to convey it's message without being at all pretentious. Most independent films have this sort of, arrogant pretentious "I'm so artistic" feel about them.......And I hate that. Smith's success lies in the fact that his movies are meaningful, and they're actually funny as well. And Chasing Amy is no exception.

In short, you'll be hard pressed to find a more entertaining, and realistic love story than Chasing Amy. It's combination of hilarious dialogue, interesting characters, and realistic themes makes it a winner.
  • Miles away from his usual low level comedy, in Chasing Amy, Kevin Smith manages to deliver a great rom-com with some serious undertones.

There are the standard Smith jokes throughout the film, but this time they take a backseat to the touching tale of Holden and Alyssa. I don't know quite how he did it, but Chasing Amy feels real and unpredictable. It's not some glossy Hugh Grant/Julia Roberts production, instead it's filled with characters that feel more like real people, which is a nice relief.

The film manages to be both moving and funny, and the cast do their best work to date (Affleck and Adams at the hockey game must rank as one of my favourite scenes of all time). This may not be Smith's best known film, but it's definitely his best. [8/10]
  • Chasing Amy is again a look into some strange people's lives. This movie strays a bit from the style of Kevin Smith's first two movies, in that the story seems to play a more important role in the movie. In the past the story was almost irrelevant to the hilariously entertaining dialogue. Not that this dialogue is not strange and entertaining as well, but the story does seem to dominate more. Although I enjoyed Clerks the most, I enjoyed this movie as well. Don't you love how Brian O'Halloran from Clerks (Dante) keeps popping up in all of Kevin Smith's movies!?
  • Being a huge Kevin Smith fan, its no wonder I love this movie so much, it is one of the best movies I've ever seen. Its a close toss up for my favorite Smith movie, right next to Clerks.

The Plot: Holden McNeil(Ben Affleck) and Banky Edwards(Jason Lee) are two long time best friends and the co-creators of their successful comic book Bluntman and Chronic. One day while they were pushing their comic at a comic/sci fi convention, they met a girl named Alyssa Jones. Holden immediately falls for Alyssa, but his hopes are shattered once he finds out a shocking surprise, she's a lesbian. Still, they form a great friendship which only makes Holden more in love with her. Once Holden reveals his love to Alyssa, they form what seems like a great relationship. Things change; however, once Banky fears that this friendship will affect their long friendship and Holden has to deal with Alyssa's rich past.

The Good: This is a very well done movie. Kevin Smith is well known for his creative dialog and clever direction in all of his movies, this is no exception. The actors performances, especially those of Ben Affleck, Jason Lee, Joey Lauren Adams, and Dwight Ewell, is exceptional. You won't find better direction for this kind of movie. I normally don't like love stories but this is one of those rare exceptions.

The Bad: Nothing really bad about this movie but its not for everyone. First off, the movie deals with some really touchy subject matter. Its also one of the most profane movies I've seen. If you are offended of either one of these subjects, I wouldn't recommend it.

Overall: Chasing Amy is one of the best movies I've ever seen. I give it a 10/10!
  • With his third film, Kevin Smith tried to do something new for him: a grown-up film. As loved as it may (deservedly) be, Clerks is remembered for the crude humor rather than the plot, while Mallrats, which was meant to be a smart, amusing teen movie, turned out to be little more than a vehicle for Jason Lee's comedic talent. Chasing Amy is radically different: combining Smith's trademark superb dialogue, believable characters and a heartfelt story, it is one of the best, most insightful romantic comedies of the '90s, and the director's most satisfying picture aside from Clerks I and II.

Whereas his first two movies kept referencing other films as soon as there was time to do so, Chasing Amy centers on Smith's second great passion: comic-books. In fact, it all begins at a convention, where Banky Edwards (Jason Lee) and Holden MacNeil (Ben Affleck) are signing issues of their successful book Bluntman & Chronic. Afterwards, they hang out with fellow artists Hooper X (Dwight Ewell) and Alyssa Jones (Joey Lauren Adams), and while Banky spends all of his time arguing with Hooper over the racism in Star Wars (one of the funniest things Smith has ever written) or the gay subtext in Archie comics, something clicks between Holden and Alyssa, and soon enough they start seeing each other almost every day. It is obvious something deeper than friendship is in the air, and they both know it, yet there's a catch: Alyssa is a lesbian, or at least she used to be one before meeting Holden. Hence the big question: can they have a meaningful relationship with her past being such a huge burden? What kind of sacrifices will have to be made?

In another film, the boy-loves-lesbian premise would have been an excuse to deliver a 90-minute marathon of distasteful, gratuitously explicit jokes. Chasing Amy, on the other hand, is good because it really cares for its characters and whatever crudities there may be never feel excessive or out of place, but on the contrary they manage to convey the speaker's emotions more correctly (this is particularly true for Jason Lee's foolproof, energetic performance). The central love story is honest and touching, two characteristics that are evident in the realistic dialogue and acting: Adams, who hasn't managed to find a decent role ever since, portrays Alyssa as a human being, not a stereotype, and that's what makes her scenes with Affleck, always at his best when working with Smith, compelling and almost painful to watch.

Most of the time, Chasing Amy is a perfect balance between gross-out humor and tender romance, something the director kept toying with on the underrated Jersey Girl (where the jokes were less sweary than usual) and perfected with his masterpiece, Clerks II. There are, however, a few moments when Smith doesn't understand he has to stop and tells us everything about a certain character's personality, whereas he should simply have implied it. Overall, though, this feature remains one of the most hilarious, moving, revealing films of the '90s, with its best moment saved for the director himself: halfway through the movie, the mandatory Jay and Silent Bob (Jason Mewes and Smith) make their appearance. In all the other View Askew flicks, they are just incredibly funny. This time, Bob breaks his silence and gives a long, thoughtful speech that explains the film's title and has more to say about love and relationships than certain movies do in their entire running time. Astonishing.

8,5/10
  • "It's not who you love, it's how" is a great tagline for the movie.

Affleck's character cannot deal with Lauren's character's past and that's the main reason why they can't maintain a serious relationship.

Silent Bob in a very important scene talks about "Chasing Amy" and that's when everything makes more sense.

I'm not a big Kevin Smith fan but I have to admit that I liked this movie very much. There are some personal conflicts that not many movie-makers talk about; in this case, it's your partner's love past. Smith brings his own experience to the movie and it's told in an interesting manner.

SCRIPT "Chasing Amy" has a clever fast-paced script filled with funny lines and intelligent discussions related to love relationships. The cast is surprisingly good. Creative script that works as a comedy, a drama, or a romantic comedy with Smith's personal touch.

CAST Ben Affleck gives a totally believable performance as the lead male character; Joey Lauren Adams was simply great in her role, and what can I say about Jason Lee? He stole the show whenever he was on screen.

Supporting characters like Jay and Silent Bob were a good addition and the movie asked for them.

FUN FACTOR It's very high. The subplots are entertaining and the climatic scene involving the three main characters has great dialog.

7/10. Surprisingly good. Recommended for open minded people.
    more painful than listening to joey adams scream (in her obnoxious squeaky voice) at ben affleck (who proves, in this movie and others, that he is the most overpaid actor in america) for almost two hours... rolling around naked in broken glass? pressing your face onto a red hot stove? watching this incredibly tedious film more than once is almost as foolish... *obligatory spoiler warning* affleck stars as a comic book author with the charm and personality of plastic novelty vomit, opposite adams who plays the role of a lesbian who (for some inexplicable reason) abandons her alleged sexual orientation when he makes overtures to her. their relationship waxes and wanes... as if the audience should care about what happens to two thoughtless self-centered idiots... and the resolution is (for lack of a better word) monumentally stupid. the dialog is, as one might expect in a kevin smith film, fast-paced and eccentric (with characters rattling off elaborate responses to one another in quick succession)... but the lines (particularly those butchered by affleck) usually seem stilted and unnatural rather than humorous.

entertainment for kevin smith sycophants and men who cannot get over pubescent lesbian fetishes... (2/10)
  • I thought this was a pretty good film for a first time filmmaker...until I learned it was Kevin Smith's fourth film (three features and a documentary). It continually astonishes me to learn how many of my college "back in the day" friends liked this film. The preoccupation with "lesbians" is something that most men grow out of, say, by the 8th or 9th grade, unless they suffer some sort of arrested development. And what is it with Joey Lauren Adams squeaky voice and the constant use of soft focus with her closeups? I guess there is something to be said for having a relationship with the director. Either the publicity poster for the film was heavily doctored, or Adams went off her Ritalin regimen, but she looks awful in the film. Don't even get me started on Affleck, see my review for "Pearl Harbor". He is a very irritating performer who is clearly in love with the sound of his own voice. The only bright spot in the film is Jason Lee, who I could watch in just about anything, he's one of the brightest new talents to come along in cinema since Johnny Depp had his breakthrough with "Edward Scissorhands".
  • Logic, Smith-style (which is to say totally illogical and idiotic)

Well, let's see... my best friend is someone I've known for nineteen years, so it appears that I'm way overdue to have a homosexual relationship with him. Is Kevin Smith naive, ignorant, or just plain stupid? Probably all three, but more of the latter. I'm not homosexual, which is okay by me, because if I was, I would probably be in jail for beating up Kevin Smith. His treatment of the mentality of homosexuality is so ignorant and basic, it almost seems malicious. Perhaps he has something against homosexuals, which is why he has decided to make them appear so simple and confused. However, I ascribe to Hanlon's Razor:

"Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity."

Once again, Smith has patronized us all with another trite script that sounds laboriously rehearsed, and the only different thing is ignorant topicality. And trust me, it ain't enough to make it worth seeing.
  • SonicAndy8 January 2003
    This is a dreadful film, with a juvenile script and acting to boot. Its a sad thing, when someone tries to be "daring", and doesnt pull it off at all, in any way. Few people can use four-letter words and make it sound natural - Kevs project shoves a stake into its Nerd-but-wants-to-be happening-heart when it tries to be "cool" and "matter of fact". I didnt even see it through to the end (was there one ?), I must confess. The flashbacks from being a 15, 16 year old kid again got the best of me, and I decided I´d waddled in enough mush and pretence for the night. This is not for those who have passed the big 2 0.
  • Long-winded, painfully air-headed social commentaries make Chasing Amy extremely tedious. Ben, as usual, is flat, boring and awful. And whatsername sounds worse than a whining Mini Mouse. Overall, an embarrassing waste of time.
  • Immature, self-serving claptrap. The celebrated "lesbianism" is just a gimmick, as the tedious romance could have been played entirely without it -- what really drives the romantical difficulties is Alyssa's former promiscuity, so the whole thing is a feature film about one of those guys who can't deal with the fact that his girlfriend once had other boyfriends. It's a boy's-eye view of a failed relationship, showing how very hard he tried; none of the other characters are really there. Alyssa's dialogue in particular seems to have been abstracted from some new-agey sociology textbook. Affleck spends most of the picture looking astonished.
  • Kevin Smith isn't typically known for mature work – the majority of his films are funny, but crude. "Chasing Amy," his follow-up to the 1995 box office failure "Mallrats," is certainly the most adult film he has made, in terms of general context. Overall, however, I was left with mixed feelings.

Holden (Ben Affleck) is the co-creator of a popular comic strip named "Bluntman and Chronic." One day at a New York City Comicon Convention, a friend of Holden's introduces him to Alyssa (Joey Lauren Adams), a free-spirited, adventurous girl whom Holden instantly takes a liking to. As they spend more time together, Holden finds himself falling in love. But there's just one problem: Alyssa is a lesbian.

Holden's best friend and co-writer/artist, Banky (Jason Lee), resents Alyssa – both because he is homophobic and afraid of losing Holden. He doesn't trust Alyssa, and digs up dirt on her that extends into her high school days, when, apparently, she was not just into chicks.

"Chasing Amy" has moments of rare greatness – the dialogue, first of all, is excellent. So is the acting. Joey Lauren Adams has been severely underused since "Chasing Amy," starring in undeveloped romantic roles in comedies such as "Big Daddy." Her character Alyssa in Smith's film is three-dimensional, and her outburst towards the end of the picture is heartfelt and honest. Jason Lee is hilarious in a very believable way (never stretching Banky into a far-fetched comedic personality) and even Ben Affleck manages to remain tolerable. (Which is always unusual.) I think the problem with "Chasing Amy" is that it simply tries too hard, and lacks a point. Smith attempted to prove to his critics that he was capable of making a realistic, sophisticated and complex motion picture and tackles some very, very touchy subjects in the process, without ever coming to any solid conclusion.

Credit must be given where it is due – Smith is an expert at snappy one-liners and good dialogue. But no matter how clever, insightful and emotionally developed Smith's everyday jargon may very well be, at heart he is still a philistine. One need only listen to five minutes of one of his DVD commentary tracks to realize this. That core immaturity doesn't translate well to the screen in a picture that wants to be taken as something more. It's like a child trying to imitate an adult – the gestures might be there, but the experience and cultivation is not.

Another major weakness of "Chasing Amy" is that it is too blunt, I think. Example? It's heavily implied that Banky is a repressed closet homosexual. It makes sense, and a deleted scene from another of Smith's later films confirms it. But I felt it should never have been addressed at all in "Chasing Amy" – great films imply, they don't stress. A character from "Chasing Amy" explains to Holden what we're all thinking – maybe Banky has feelings for Holden that he isn't ready to acknowledge. This is too much. It's too clear, and not subtle enough. It should have been left up to the audience to use their own perceptions. By the time this "explanation" occurs in the movie, I had already assumed Banky was gay; Smith's desire to put it into words seemed anti-climactic and ruined the speculation.

That best sums up the entire film, really -- "Chasing Amy" has its good parts, but the finished product is messy and contradictory and just too damned wordy. It tries at every turn to be insightful, honest, mature and even epic. The problem with all this is that Smith lacks a point – he wants to say there's nothing wrong with being gay, and love is love no matter whether you're male or female, but it's clear that deep inside he is a bit like Banky – homophobic and immature. His decision to turn Alyssa into a "mistake," a woman who has been fooled into lesbianism, who is "saved" by Holden, doesn't make sense. I'm not criticizing the film's motive – if it had one, I'd judge it based on how well it elucidates it. My own point is that Smith doesn't have one – he's wishy-washy, one moment preaching to his audience about the dangers of homophobia, the next moment turning his lesbian into the very stereotype all lesbians must hate: the woman who is afraid of men and deep down inside her heart is actually is attracted to them. I was left wondering what Smith was trying to get across to his audience.

For what it's worth, my favorite scene from "Chasing Amy" is when Jay and Silent Bob (Jason Mewes and Smith himself) show up. Silent Bob's monologue is honest and tender without coming across as being too showy or gushy. Had the entire film matched this one scene, it would be a great deal better.
  • Matt-16224 December 1998
    A ridiculous movie. The dialogue is incredibly forced, the acting (even from the capable Affleck) is very bad and the story is so silly it's insulting.

Ok, Affleck plays a Comic book artist who falls in love with another artist who - oh by the way - happens to be a lesbian. (with a horrible whiney voice) She eventually falls for Affleck, and they proceed to a happy affair, until Affleck discovers some disturbing history on her high school sex life. Really, after all the gusto and zest with which Afflecks character pursued this girl, he's going to turn on her just like that? ...and Affleck's sexual proposal at the end is pointless and crude.

The formula is tired Kevin. Get out of the cracks and try to make a good movie again.
    When I watched this movie for the first time, I thought it was pretty funny, but I was younger so I didn't indulge its craftiness as much as I did on the second viewing just recently. Kevin Smith is a very talented writer/director who has a knack for offbeat plots and refreshingly original dialogue. He displays his talent greatly in this offbeat comedy. One impressive element of "Chasing Amy" is it contains very little of the standard, soapy, Hollywood-ish romance. It's very unpredictable, and doesn't contain the ending many would probably suspect. Of course, we know that Joey Lauren is going to end up in bed with Ben, but there wouldn't be any intrigue or conflict if that didn't happen. It's what happens afterwards that counts. The only cliche I spotted was the scene where Ben reveals his love for Joey. It takes place on a rainy night. And Joey gets outraged and runs out of the car--IN THE RAIN!! Hello? Pneumonia? You ever thought of that? I think if it was real life, she would've waited for Ben to drive her back--THEN shout out her feelings and leave. Other than that, the film approaches the romance genre and lesbianism with sheer originality and (sometimes brutal) honesty. In the scene where Jason Lee catches Ben in bed with Joey, all we see is his mouth opened wide and his coffee cup dropping to the floor. None of that melodramatic, confrontational crap we usually see when a character is surprised to catch their friend in bed with someone they don't expect. Though I often appraise Smith's witty dialogue, his love for dialogue is also a minor flaw. In some scenes, the characters use so many adjectives and metaphors that it just sounds more written than acted out. It just doesn't have that flow. And it's a little unconvincing to have a character use the term f**king c**ksucker over and over again in one scene, and delivering an intelligent monologue full of college-level SAT words in the next.

Despite its minor flaws, "Chasing Amy" is a film like no other. One that honestly stands alone. We've seen other films about lesbianism, but this is one to use the subject in a mature (though profane) and non-preachy manner. It doesn't take advantage of any of the stereotypes. And I like the surprise at the end where the character, who you least expect, delivers a thoughtful monologue that is the defining moment of the movie.
    I was very disappointed by this film and regret wasting tome by watching it to the end in the vain hope that it would improve.

Kevin Smith has attempted to make an intelligent, thought provoking romantic comedy.

What he has achieved is an unrealistic, naive and frankly insulting parody of relationships.

In a nutshell, boy meets lesbian, falls in love, proclaims his feelings towards her, lesbian then realises she loves him after all and they fall into each other's arms, aaahhh! ('Cos we all know that being gay is a 'choice thing'!) They finally part, but no, not because he's barking up the wrong tree but due to trust and jealousy issues.

The film is frankly just a male ego fantasy which merely serves to insult the gay community and reinforce the ignorance, prejudice and misapprehensions that those foolish enough to actually see this as plausible have.

It's comedy value is very poor, peppered with Kevin Smith's trademark schoolboy level psychology and monotonous pseudo-intellectual conversations. The acting is reminiscent of an amateur dramatic society play with Ben Affleck as wooden as ever playing....well Ben Affleck.

I cannot recommend it at any level and the only unpredictable scene was the one in which 'Silent Bob' had something to say!

Kevin Smith has embarrassed himself by proving what an insight-less and uninformed man he is. He lacks wisdom, subtlety and understanding of human nature and sexuality and reveals himself to be naive and foolishly ignorant. Like most of his films his stereotypical male perspective is such a cliché... a melting pot of all the WORST, most NEGATIVE attributes, fantasies, characteristics and attitudes of menfolk. He insults men who do not fit these stereotypes and gay people in general.

The only people I can imagine appreciating and identifying with his characters are themselves clichés in search of an identity, or 13 to 25 year old boys who are lacking in life experience and derive their knowledge from comic books and PC games. The film is an insult to anyone who has truly lived and loved, or with half a brain.
  • There is a male fantasy woman, it is what I call the virgin slut. It is a woman who has never had sex with a man before who would love to have sex right away with them. Amy is a variation. She is a lesbian slut. She has had a lot of sex, but she says she has never with a man...so she is the ultimate fantasy woman in this movie.

This is why so many young guys love this movie, it has a variation on the ultimate male fantasy (that few men would even admit to themselves, because this fantasy is so illogical).

Basically the movie is full of people I wouldn't want to hang out with in real life, so why would I want to watch them on the screen. It is popular with people who want to be boring obnoxious, pretentious nobs.

Watch it and enjoy it if you are one....otherwise entertain yourself by putting a raw steak down your pants and go dancing with a pack of hungry dogs.
  • Rarely does one see a film that really gets you going. Sometimes, when philosophy is injected into a film and the analysis of the society as a whole, even when you agree with it, it comes out poorly.

Other than the bits of philosophy that were attempted to be persuasively thrown into the film, it was an incredible drag of a story that was quite arrogant and boring. The film assumes that anyone who does not think in accordance with it has been brainwashed and a terrific jerk. And above this, the attempts at comedy that were made were no more than attempts that paid off only amongst the immature.

Overall, even though I agree with the overall message, the way that it was portrayed was incredibly vain and unnecessarily sharp. The idea of a group of 20 somethings figuring out the world through their genitals is not the basis for a profound film about forgiveness.

If you think that there is more to life than people's sexual history and the relationships of immature people, then I would pass this film up.
  • This is one of the worse movies that I've ever had the misfortune to watch. It was a complete waste of my time. It was neither funny, well acted, believable or interesting. Ben Affleck was terrible! Joey Lauren Adams was annoying and can't act to save her soul. Jason Lee was okay, but not great either. Additionally, to say this was a lesbian movie is more than insulting to lesbians. This was a typical straight man's view of what it is to be a lesbian (i.e., that if she meets the right man, it will "straighten" her out -- PUH-LEEZ). Steer clear of this movie!
  • This film is awful. It is merely male fantasy lesbianism on display. I was very disappointed! Kevin Smith usually writes very intelligent scripts, but this is lesbianism from the view of male titillation. Amy's character is two dimensional and seems to be able to just change her sexuality at the drop of a hat, because of some poetic rhetoric and the desire of a man. What a joke!!! If it were so simple, half the world would be gay.
  • A friend of mine once suggested the movie to me. Ben Affleck, Matt Damon, Kevin Smith... no problem, I thought. I like this guys, although "Dogma" really annoyed me by watching it for a third time ( - and I'll never watch it again). But I followed my homey's recommendation and got myself in front of the screen, watching "Chasing Amy". After this torture I told him, that I've never watched such an strenuous movie ever. Don't get me wrong. The acting's alright. But the boring and unnecessary complicated storyline and the role of the "female problem" - Amy, really made me angry for about the whole length of this movie. By the way: How could a smart-ass like the role of Affleck fell in love witch such an super-boring, super-catchy girl like Amy? No no no, I still annoys me so badly, though I've been watching it some years ago... no no no!