• Personally, I found the film to be quite amusing. When I saw that Pauly Shore was in it, I expected another "Son in Law" character, but this is quite different!

The film doesn't attempt to cash in on Pauly Shore's previous acting history, and instead casts him as a good-natured, but somewhat underprivileged country boy. He manages to maintain a level of seriousness that keeps you interested in the fate of his misfortune.

The story is cute, and has some clever twists to keep you guessing... despite it's cliche-ridden characters.

I'd say it's a worthwhile rental or cable-TV movie. Especially if you like caper films.
  • Finally saw this film semi-complete on a local TV station. This may be Pauly Shore's best film due to the script and the supporting cast. The sidekick Harold is one of the best "dumb guy" characters I've seen. Janine Turner as the beautiful local deputy and Ned Beatty in his standard "southern bad guy" role really round out the acting ensemble. The script is just funny enough with enough plot twists to keep it interesting. But mostly what makes this film work is Pauly in a semi-serious role with a Texas accent and a chance to show us that he really can act.
  • Chuck and Harold are not too bright, but they are about to rob the bank in the small town of Inferno, Texas. Chuck does not believe it is safe for Harold to have a loaded gun. And the two have cue cards to make sure they know what to say to the teller.

Our heroes put on their masks and enter the bank, and to say things didn't go well is an understatement. Something very unusual happens that I won't reveal because it's better if you don't see it coming. Anyway, Chuck finds a great hiding place for the money, and all the guys have to do is find it again. Easier said than done. An additional complication: How can a bank in a town this size have so much money? Something fishy is going on. And then there is Layla, a bubbleheaded cop who helps Chuck when he gets hurt--and seems to like him.

We find out later that Chuck was fired by Moles Huddenel, who owns everything in town and sees to it that no one else can get ahead. 'The curse of Inferno' is that no one can ever leave because no one ever has the money to do so. Chuck was going to buy a plane and start an aviation service in the Caribbean. Moles found out Chuck bought his old broken-down plane, and that's when Chuck got fired. The purpose of the bank robbery was to have enough money to fix up the plane and leave.

Chuck was a different character from others Pauly Shore has played. I would almost say that he showed he could do a dramatic role, except this was a comedy. But that's the way Shore came across. I won't call it good acting, but if you like Shore and loser characters such as his, he was entertaining. Max Perlich did a good job as the nervous and inept Harold. Janine Turner was good as the clueless Layla, who was too beautiful to be a cop. Or maybe she wasn't so clueless.

Ned Beatty was so evil I couldn't stand him. I don't mean I loved to hate the character of Moles. I mean I despised him, period. Probably a good performance.

And Clifford and Vince deserve mention. J. Edgar Hoover would never have put up with these morons in his FBI. Nevertheless, the FBI was involved with investigating the robbery.

There were a lot of laughs here, and plenty of excitement for the type of person who enjoys 'The Dukes of Hazzard' and 'Dumb and Dumber'. It's not for everyone, but I enjoyed it.
  • I found "The Curse of Inferno" to be one of Pauly Shore's best films. I like most of his previous films (I disliked "Jury Duty" and hated "Biodome"), and this one deserves special attention. Unlike the others, it isn't reaching in all directions for a big laugh every time you turn around.

Two small town guys who dream of being pilots in the Caribbean need $80,000 to open shop. They decide to rob a little bank. As they do, they find that the bank has a lot more money than it should (money is being laundered by rich businessman Ned Beatty and banker Stephen Tobolowsky). To make matters worse, two more robbers show up, causing the original two to botch the job by hiding the loot in the bank itself in order to escape. While plotting on how to retrieve the money, one of the robbers (Shore) meets and falls in love with a new police deputy (Janine Turner). That's when the businessman finds out Shore was involved with the robbery, and puts the pressure on him.

As I said, "The Curse of Inferno" doesn't try to be funny all the time. When it does try, it succeeds. I left it feeling pretty good, and that is a rarity. Zanatos' score: 8 out of 10. Check it out.
  • SnoopyStyle3 September 2017
    Bumbling partners Chuck Betts (Pauly Shore) and Harold Cantrell (Max Perlich) try to rob the First Inferno National Bank to fix up their plane. They are interrupted by two other robbers. Chuck gets stuck in the bathroom and passes himself off as one of the victims. He falls for gorgeous deputy Layla Moanes (Janine Turner). There is a surprising amount in the small bank and Chuck suspects dirty money. Moles Huddenel (Ned Beatty) and bank manager Lonnie Martin (Stephen Tobolowsky) have been laundering $3 million.

It's a good thing that Pauly Shore isn't playing the wacky idiot. It would be even better for him to play a smarter character. There are a few more stupidity from the other characters. This needs to be a tight dark crime drama. It's nowhere near that level but it could have tried. This is caught in the middle. It's not the usual Pauly Shore silliness but it can't be taken seriously either.
  • Let me save you - the real "Curse of Inferno" is having to totally waste 87 minutes of your life on this incredibly dull, not funny, not dramatic, not anything of a film that mind you had a good cast but I am sure even they couldn't tell you why this film even exists... poor Pauly - how we miss ya...