User Reviews (145)

• skiop28 June 2006
    Some movies want to make us think, some want to excite us, some want to exhilarate us. But sometimes, a movie wants only to make us laugh, and "In & Out" certainly succeeds in this department.

Indiana high-school teacher Howard Brackett (Kevin Kline) is going to be married to fellow teacher Emily Montgomery (Joan Cusack) in three days, but the whole town is more excited about the Oscar nomination of former resident Cameron Drake (Matt Dillon). But when Cameron wins an Oscar for playing a gay soldier, he thanks his gay teacher, Howard, for inspiration. What follows is Howard denying it in an hilarious set of mishaps in a truly screwball fashion.

Kevin Kline is great, exuding gay stereotypes. Joan Cusack really has a knack for screwball antics. Debbie Reynolds is utterly hilarious as Howard's mother. And Bob Newhart is also a hoot as the homophobic principal.

Gay screenwriter Paul Rudnick really achieves a delicate balance here. He knows the stereotypes and exploits them in a way that's mostly tolerable to conservative Midwesterners and yet mostly inoffensive to the gay audience. It's not exactly progressive, but it's funny and inoffensive, and definitely a step up from the previous year's "The Birdcage."
  • Without a doubt, much humor and good performances. The scene with the "Exploring Your Masculinity" tape (this is the one where Kline is told that real men don't dance) had me laughing so hard that I had tears in my eyes.

Unfortunately, everything that I had seen and read about this movie before I went to see it indicated that it was a case of a man who was wrongly "outed"... period. When it became evident that he was going to end up being gay (notice his foot-lifting during the kiss with Selleck), I felt very let down.

I didn't want to go see an "it's okay to be gay" movie (there seem to be enough of that type already). I wanted to see the teacher who seems to fit the "gay profile", if you will, gets falsely outed, but nevertheless is "straight".

Making Peter Malloy (Selleck) gay shows that gay doesn't have to fit any preconceived profile (remember, this is the guy who played Magnum, P.I.). But by making Howard Brackett (Kline) gay, it supports the idea that sensitive, poetry-loving (etc.) men must be gay. The viewer would have been better served had the movie stuck with the premise that gay/straight doesn't have to fit a stereotype; let "manly" Sellect be gay and "sensitive" Kline be straight.

Don't interpret this as a gay-bashing/homophobe review; it is not. I sympathize with Kline's character inasmuch as I am a man in his early 30's who is still unmarried, and occasionally catches the "how come he isn't married" sort of thing from people.
    As about 109 other reviewers have mentioned, this is an extremely funny film about a high school teacher whose former student mentions him as being gay on national television.

His current students immediately start looking for signs that he's gay. Oh, he likes musicals and other performing arts and literature, he's a good dresser, all the stereotypical stuff.

His fiancée starts to doubt him. The townspeople start to look askance at him.

Here's the part that annoyed me. He turns out to really be gay.

Now why did that annoy me? Not for the reason you might think.

It reaffirms stereotypical American ideas about masculinity, the American conventional wisdom that says that "real men" don't like the arts or literature. It reinforces the masculine straitjacket that limits men's interests to work, sports, and television.

A trivial concern? Not for me. I know straight men were been beaten up by high school gay-bashers and called names because they had interests that "real men" aren't supposed to have. Interestingly, this stereotype of masculinity seems to be less common in other countries.

I wish the movie would have broken through the stereotype by having Kevin Kline's character be straight and marry his fiancée, with an epilogue of her gloating about how she has the only husband in town who will attend the ballet with her.

I wonder how many teenage boy musicians or artists got beaten up by gay bashers as a result of this movie.
  • I enjoyed this film quite a bit. Kevin Kline is one of my favourite actors, and after seeing this, I'm still firm in the belief that he can pull off any role he has a mind to. Joan Cusack's performance, while too over-the-top for some, really worked well for the part in my opinion... she and Kline both kept me laughing throughout. The supporting cast turned in nice performances as well, and Tom Selleck needs to keep that face clean-shaven more often. ^_-

This film was still quite amusing in some parts, but it seemed to indulge in a few too many stereotypes.

Overall, I think the actors did the best they could with what they were given, and while it wasn't *quite* what I had hoped for, it was still good entertainment for an afternoon... if you're not too sensitive about the Heterosexual vs. Homosexual issue, then you'll probably get quite a few good laughs out of this one.
  • majikstl17 September 2005
    IN & OUT is certainly aptly titled: What was once "in" as being representative of gay cinema is now decidedly "out." When it first came out (so to speak) it seemed so bright and fresh and funny and original -- and now it just seems so, well, lame.

As one of the first mainstream films to deal with homosexual themes and become a box office success in the process, IN & OUT was blessed with its uniqueness. It was good-natured, well-intentioned, non-threatening and seemingly politically correct, yet old-fashioned in a Capraesque sort of way. What's not to like? But as gay slowly, but assuredly, became mainstream, sissy stereotyping of gay characters, while certainly still with us, ceased to be the only option for discriminating moviegoers. Thus, there is a backlash; it even became a point of contention in another gay movie. In ALL OVER THE GUY, one gay man saw it as an amusing comedy romp, while his blind date saw it as a homophobic insult. A positive story about coming out strikes some as a phony tale of a cowardly, self-hating homosexual unwillingly being forced out of the closet.

Like its TV counterpart, "Will & Grace," IN & OUT took anti-gay attitudes and twisted them around so that the butt of the jokes instead became the source. Stereotypes were mocked by the very people who were demeaned by them and in the process the insult was possibly neutralized. In theory, for instance, having a gay man suggesting that a fondness for Barbra Streisand is a sign of homosexuality should somehow show just how ridiculous such an assumption is. And that might be true, if done once. But resorting to the Streisand joke again, and again, and again, and again, doesn't negate the stereotype, but confirms it, again and again and again.

Mirroring, very loosely, Tom Hanks' very public outing of his high school drama teacher at the 1993 Oscars, the film gives us Kevin Kline as a mild-mannered, small-town high school teacher whose life -- and impending marital plans -- are thrown into chaos when a former student outs him while accepting an Academy Award. The intended compliment inspires nationwide interest and small-town scrutiny. Problem is that Kline's Howard Brackett denies being gay to everyone, especially his soon-to-be bride (Joan Cusack). This could have made for a semi-serious slice-of-life comedy of social mores, and sometimes it seems to strive for that. But the filmmakers are as ambivalent about the point of their film as Howard is about his sexuality. The film never finds a consistent tone and never really tries to; it is farcical one minute, broadly satirical the next and then desperately bittersweet.

The film at first seems to be trying to convince us that, despite all the circumstantial evidence, the persnickety Howard really isn't gay. And Kline seems to be playing the part just that way. Until finally he admits he is gay, but just didn't know it. Huh? It's as if he has been persuaded to turn gay against his will just to fit in with a preconceived image. Plus, his coming out is more like an admission of guilt than a pronouncement of pride, let alone acceptance.

The filmmakers seem to want it both ways; to boldly denounce the stereotypes as being unfair and then (nudge-nudge, wink-wink) gleefully snickering in admission that they are all oh-so true. It's pretty much the same message being served up by "Will & Grace" "Queer as Folk" and "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" and other such pop culture sell outs. It is like confronting the homophobe by first admitting that he is absolutely right about everything. The grain of truth within the stereotype becomes the undisputed universal reality.

Even granting the film a benefit of the doubt that its intentions are benign, there is this gnawing sense of hypocrisy. Just before the rousing, if predictable, "Macho Man" finale, one of Howard's students (Shawn Hatosy) shows his support for his beleaguered teacher by coming out at the high school graduation. What seems to be a remarkable act of moral courage is subverted when, in Spartacus style, everyone in the auditorium also announces "I am gay!" It is supposed to be a Capraesque moment of gutsy small-town loyalty, but it rings utterly false. And worse, it demeans the young man's brave act, clouding whether his pronouncement is even true or merely a noble gesture. A film about coming out trivializes that very act.

Then the film ends with a celebration of the traditional heterosexual wedding, as if to tell the straight audience "Don't worry. People like Howard are harmless and no threat to your lifestyle." Again, huh? Howard and his problems seem to blend into the crowd, which may be the point of the story: "Gay's okay, as long as it doesn't get in the way." Yet, even realizing just how shallow and dishonest the film is, it still manages to be, well, funny, especially in its more ridiculous moments. The mock Academy Awards show and Kline taking a lesson on how to be masculine make the film worth watching. It is what it wants to be, a harmless sitcom with only the vaguest connection with the real world. Cusack's over the top performance is grating, but the rest of the cast is just fine, led nicely by the always charming Kline. And kudos has to go to card-carrying Republican and NRA member Tom Selleck for his wonderful stereotype-busting performance: he plays a gay character who is not a gay caricature. Something the rest of the film should have emulated.
  • In & Out is a comedy with a simple premise. It admirably succeeds in the mission of being funny and entertaining.

The comedy in this film ranges from the ridiculous to the sublime, physical comedy exists alongside dry humor, with a nice veteran turn by Bob Newhart. Kevin Kline is predictably in excellent form in this film, alongside Tom Selleck not playing to his expected "square jawed" leading man type. Mr. Selleck plays his humor well and displays a nice sense of comedic timing. The cast makes this film successful.

Not all films with homosexual themes are made to advance some sort of sinister, hidden Hollywood liberal agenda, in point of fact this film was simply made to entertain, and if any part of this films makes the viewer think, then it was a byproduct of the well-acted work by a terrific cast of professionals. Frequently tongue-in-cheek, I found myself laughing at the right moments. A solid "B."
  • Howard Brackett (Kevin Kline) is a teacher who is about to get married. Then, one of his former students wins an Oscar for a film in which he plays a gay soldier and thanks Howard in his acceptance speech, outing him as being gay too! This film follows the aftermath as reporters descend on Howard's village and he tries to convince everyone that he is straight.

I love this movie! Kevin Kline is wonderful, it has some really hilarious moments and it always leaves me feeling great with an enormous grin on my face. Consequently, it's one film that I enjoy watching as often as possible. If you haven't seen it, you're missing out!
  • clay-815 December 1998
    "In & Out" is surprisingly formulesque. In one of the reviews I read on this page, the reviewer complained about Brackett turning out to be gay. They have a point. The film would have been a tad bit more enjoyable (not to mention more original)if he turned out to be straight after all. And after informing us that he is gay, he doesn't really prove it. He just hangs around while the consequences of the "outing" unfolds. The film is way too talky, which takes away from many of the laughs. The film is neither funny nor well-made. Two stars.
    Kevin Kline is Howard Brackett, popular high school teacher in a small community. He is about to marry his sweetheart after a 3-year celibate engagement. She is played by Joan Cusack, and her name is Emily Montgomery, another teacher. The big news around town concerns the Oscars because one of their own, and Howard's former student Cameron Drake (Matt Dillon) is up for best actor, in a movie where plays a gay soldier being kicked out after bravely saving his fellow soldier during battle.

So, with everyone in town watching, Cameron thanks everyone after he wins, and finally thanks his teacher, Mr Brackett, and says, "And he is gay." Of course Brackett has never thought about being gay, and he is about to marry his girl. So the rest of the movie is about whether or not he really is gay, how the other teachers and students react to this possibility, and whether he really gets married.

SPOILERS FOLLOW. In town is national reporter Peter Malloy (Tom Selleck) who decides to make a film of Brackett's situation. During an encounter out of town when Malloy almost runs over biking Brackett, Malloy admits that he himself is gay, then gives Brackett a long kiss on the lips. In spite of his later protestations, he appears to enjoy it. Bottom line, at his wedding, ready to say "I do", instead he says "I am gay." The movie ends with a graduation ceremony at school, where Brackett has just been fired because they were afraid of his influence on the kids. Cameron Drake shows up, and one by one, every student and parent in the audience stands up and says "I am gay." Point being, they supported Brackett as a teacher and said his gayness should not be considered.

Debbie Reynolds was good as Brackett's mother Berniece Brackett and Wilford Brimley was good as his dad Frank Brackett. Also Bob Newhart was good as Tom Halliwell, the school principal.
    I watched this again after having not seen it since it first came out (in '97), and it still made me laugh out loud. It's skillfully written, Kevin Kline and Joan Cusack are both perfect in their roles, and if you can look at Bob Newhart in this movie and not chuckle, you're more of a man than I.

For that matter, I think the scenes where Tom Selleck kisses Kevin Kline, where Kevin Kline listens to the "How to be a Man" cassette, and the post-(almost-)wedding scenes w/ Joan Cusack are three of the funniest scenes in any movie.

Sure, the last scene is a bit of an excuse for a happy ending, but...few movies are perfect.
  • Whether you dug this movie or not, you've got to give it credit for having major guts. Remember, this is a big Hollywood comedy, with a big Hollywood budget, and a major studio behind it. And the protagonist ends up discovering his homosexuality. Now, that might not seem like much of a risk to some moviegoers, but try to think of another big studio comedy (I'm not talking about independent films) that has the courage to go this route. The filmmakers could have just as easily wimped out, as would be the usual choice.

Besides the above, this is a finely crafted comedy. It's funny and touching and well written and acted. Sure, it's not perfect, but it succeeds, which is more than one can say for most other comedies.
  • stormyWeatherGuy19 September 2010
    We all know the story about how Rawley Farnsworth (Tom Hanks' high school drama teacher who Hanks thanked in his acceptance speech at the 1994 Oscar telecast) was the genesis for Kevin Kline's role. But although he provided the idea behind the character, the character as written in the film is not based on Farnsworth himself.

The name, the quirky character traits, the Shakespeare lectures, the bicycle, the Midwestern background (Farnsworth was from Oakland CA), the sports coach connection all come from a long term USC theater professor--who later dyed his hair and then let it grow in order to disassociate himself from the Howard Brackett character.
  • Paul Rudnick (Jeffrey, Addams Family Values) wrote this frothy tale of a mild mannered school teacher (Kevin Kline) who is outted on the Academy Awards by a former student-turned-actor (Matt Dillon). The rest of the film deals with the absurdities revolving around this setup -the effect on the town, his fiancee (Joan Cusack), himself- and climaxes with an everybody-loves-everybody finale.

If you're an angry gay rights activist or a naive youth looking for an accurate portrayal of a man's struggle to come out or a 'true' depiction of gay life, then save yourself the trouble and rent something else (maybe Beautiful Thing) or read a book (Giovanni's Room). If you are able to understand that this film was inspired by the piousness of Tom Hanks's speech on the Academy Awards when he won for Philadelphia and pokes fun at Hollywood culture and small town ignorance and you have a fondness for '30's screwball comedy (Bringing Up Baby, Holiday, The Palm Beach Story) then enjoy! Far from being a biting satire, the film tries for the exuberance of a Preston Sturges farce and comes damn close. No, it's not 'deep' or 'powerful' -neither were Romy & Michelle, 9 to 5, or Young Frankenstein- and it doesn't pretend to be; it keeps it's tongue-firmly-in-cheek. It gets too preachy and maudlin for its own good toward the end and sure some of the jokes are a bit stale (there's also a locker room scene that could have been cut) but after sitting through countless comedies that misfire, it's like a breath of fresh air.

Kevin Kline and Tom Selleck are wonderfully game while Debbie Reynolds and Wilford Brimley add fine support. The excellent Joan Cusack's award winning performance is stellar and the great Bob Newhart is, well, Bob Newhart.

The fact that many have been offended by In & Out is as absurd as the mentality of the townsfolk it pokes fun at; personally, I was more offended by Philadelphia. I'll take harmless fluff over sanctimoniousness anytime.
    I sat down to watch this movie believing it to be a fairly run-of-the-mill, but enjoyable comedy about a straight man being outed, and his attempts to prove this wrong. In fact, this is how it was marketed (in the UK at least), and none of the trailers mentioned the real storyline.

SPOILER WARNING

The pathetic plot twist is that the outed teacher, Howard Brackett (Kevin Kline), tries to make himself appear masculine, fails, and decides that he must be gay after all. This really should have been mentioned in the sypnosis for the film, and not been left as a 'suprise' for moviegoers. The second half of the film descends into what is basically a propaganda piece - "hey gang, it's okay to be gay!", and feels as if it has been written by a completely different person. The film gets way too preachy, often at the expense of the humour. I'm not against gay people or anything, but the movie never let any other opinions through. The 'acceptance' finale, which tried to be heartwarming, was corny and embarassing. Secondly, it uses almost every gay stereotype in the book (I like Barbara Streisand - I must be gay), which may end up offending gay people, instead of helping to put across their point of view.

In conclusion, the film was boring (I should never have to look at a clock expectantly during a 90-minute movie), offensive to straight people and gay people alike, and continually offers a very one-dimensional opinion, which looks slightly out-of-place in a film of this type. Anyway, there was an episode of The Simpsons which handled this issue with much more humour, as well as satirizing the prejudice encountered. Wait for reruns of that instead.
  • Frank Oz has done a wonderful job in directing this comedy that, for the 90s, is one notch above average. I believe the nineties was a gay decade (I have never seen so much publicity before it), and here comes a charming, sometimes funny view about it. Mind you, the main idea really came from Tom Hanks' acceptance speech, where after winning the Academy Award for Philadelphia, he thanked his gay drama teacher. So imagine an English teacher, who loves sonnets and is getting married in three days, getting the same treatment. It's a good set up.

After being awarded an Oscar for the portrayal of a gay soldier, Cameron Drake thanks his English teacher for being his gay inspiration. Problem is, he's not.

The way Kline tackles sexual preference is also how one would confront the ending of a relationship, which could be what this movie is about on a smaller level. Denial, anger, experimentation ... it's a much more thoughtful movie than others. Everyone gets a happy ending here on some level. Between the bachelor party and the masculinity assessment, I have to choose the guy's night out as the funniest part in the film. In & Out is a good movie and I would recommend it if you were curious.
  • Kevin Kline offers a brilliant comic turn in the 1997 comedy IN & OUT. Kline plays Howard Brackett, a small town history teacher who excitedly sits down to watch the Academy Awards this year because one of his former students (Matt Dillon) is a nominee. He is nominated for his performance in a film where he plays a gay soldier and when he wins, he thanks Howard in his speech for inspiring him because Howard is gay. Now this floors Howard because he as no clue why thus guy would say this on international television. Howard is even engaged to be married (to Joan Cusack, in an Oscar-nominated performance)so he has no idea where Dillon;s Cameron Drake got the idea that he is gay and finds he has to defend himself to everyone at school but is shocked that no one seemed terribly shocked by what Cameron said on the Oscars. Howard has a birthday party where he is given birthday presents like the soundtrack to YENTL and ends up explaining to his guests why Barbra Streisand had to make FUNNY LADY. His parents (Wilford Brimley, Debbie Reynolds) are shocked but promise to support their son, even if he is gay. He also gets a visit from an out of town reporter (Tom Selleck) who wants to do an article about him because he's gay too. The moment when Selleck plants a big kiss right on Kline's lips is a classic. But all of these little things have Howard actually questioning his sexuality and wondering if he really is gay...much to the aggravation and frustration of his fiancée, Cusack, who is beyond confused. The scene where she leaves a bar in her wedding gown and stands in the middle of street screaming about the lack of single straight men in the world is a classic. But what I like about this movie is the way Kline fully invests in the role and was not afraid to look foolish or look gay. There is a fabulous scene, probably the most famous from the film, where he buys a record, on how to be macho, and the guy on the record is talking about how real men don't dance and a disco tune comes on (I WILL SURVIVE if memory serves)and the narrator on the record says no matter what you do, don't dance, but Howard can't help himself and he ends up shaking his groove thing all over the room. It's hysterically funny and Kline plays it with sincerity and gusto. The film is not pro or anti gay...it's just a deft and amusing character study about a man trying to figure out exactly who he is. Wonderful film.
  • Time has not been good for "In & Out." In it's day, I'm sure it was seen as progressive and out there, but the boundaries it breaks have long since been broken, and the stereotypes it lampoons have been more or less destroyed. Unfortunately, that's what "In & Out" relies on, and it makes the jokes seem tired.

Howard Brackett (Kevin Kline) is a beloved English teacher at a high school in small-town Indiana. His world is about to be turned upside down when a former student, Cameron Drake (Matt Dillon) announces to the world that Brackett is gay in his acceptance speech. Even worse, this happens three days before his wedding to Emily (Joan Cusack).

The acting is great. Kevin Kline delivers a fine performance as Howard, displaying great comic aptitude while still leaving room for the audience's sympathy. Joan Cusack is even better as Emily. One might wonder why she received an Oscar nod for this film (this is not the kind of film that the Oscars usually recognize), but it becomes clear her biggest scene. However, the best performance comes from Matt Dillon. Dillon avoids the temptation to make Cameron a celebrity jerk (i.e. superficial, snobby, etc.). Cameron is actually a likable guy. Supporting performances from Debbie Reynolds and Wilford Brimley (Howard's parents) are good, though Bob Newhart is awful (due to the timing and his performance).

Frank Oz knows how to make mainstream comedy. "What About Bob," "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels," and "Bowfinger" are a few of his comedy hits. He keeps things moving, and he knows how to make an audience laugh.

Scott Rudkin's script relies on pushing boundaries for humor. But, as I said, the gay stereotypes that he lampoons are so commonplace that they seem tired in today's climate. More importantly, the setting no longer works. Homophobia is not accepted in most parts of the country, and this diminishes the tension from the story, and renders many of the jokes ineffective. Being out is very acceptable today, and the all-around nervousness is not believable any more.

"In & Out" is not a complete waste of time. Ther are some humorous bits sprinkled around. But it's not enough to warrant a recommendation.
    Howard (Kevin Kline) teaches English at the high school in a small Indiana city. He is finally getting married to Emily (Joan Cusack), much to his parents delight. The town is abuzz, too, because one of its own, Cameron (Matt Dillon) has been nominated for an acting Oscar. Everyone, including Howard and Emily, is watching the Academy Awards on television as Cameron is declared the winner! In his acceptance speech, Cameron announces that he was able to fulfill his role as a gay military man, in part, because of lessons he learned from a gay teacher he had in high school. You guessed it, its Howard! But, Howard has never "come out"; in fact, he believes he is straight! With the whole town, and members of the media, waiting and observing the happenings, will Howard and Emily go ahead and get married? Or, is Howard truly gay and realize he can not go through with the ceremony? This is a wonderful, funny, and humane film about a gay man and his situation. As the man-who-did-not-realize-he-was-gay, Kline is excellent and touching. The rest of the cast is equally fine, with Cusack a stitch as the mixed-up fiancé and Dillon, Bob Newhart, Debbie Reynolds, Tom Selleck, and others on hand to delight the audience as well. The costumes are very nice and the setting in the lovely Indiana heartland is beautiful. Then, too, the script, the direction, and the production are very, very nice. But, the insightful, humorous, and the thoughtful look at the gay population is the film's best asset, no doubt. For those who would be offended by a gay-themed film, yes, just skip over this one. But, for everyone who wants to laugh heartily, and gain a better understanding of the gay situation at the same time, this is definitely the best film out there.
  • I have always thought Kevin Kline is a great actor. We all have seen him in great and memorable performances. In this film, again, he is good. My family and I really had a great time watching him as a professor who sees on television one of his former students saying he (the professor) is gay. It's fun from the beginning to the end. I recommend this innocent comedy. Have fun

my rate 7/10
    Actor Cameron Drake (Matt Dillon) has just won an Academy Award. In his acceptance speech he thanks his high school teacher Howard Brackett (Kevin Kline)...and tells everybody he's gay. This is quite a surprise to everybody...including Howard and his bride-to-be (Joan Cusack). The small town he lives in deals with the fact that Howard is supposedly gay and TV newscaster Peter Malloy (Tom Selleck) urges him to come out.

I loved this when I saw it in 1997 (for the record I'm a gay man)...but this was before "Will & Grace" and "Queer As Folk" presented gay characters and gay sex on TV. FOR ITS TIME it was revolutionary. Now--13 years later--it comes off a stupid, trite, VERY innocuous and exceptionally condescending. First off--the basic plot. Brackett has NO idea that he's gay...but a former student DOES???? He's in his 30s--don't you think he would have figured it out by then? The reactions by his students are extremely condescending. NO student would react the way these kids do. The language is carefully kept at a PG-13 level so as not to offend anyone--but these kids come across as total idiots with no idea how the human body works. Also EVERYBODY in the town accepts it completely! AND the stereotypes! According to this all gay men are limp-wisted (that's so offensive I was shocked), LOVE Barbra Streisand and are clean and prissy. Hard to believe a gay man wrote this. To make matters worse most of the jokes simply aren't funny or are dated. Glenn Closes's announcement of Best Actor nominees is funny only if you know who Steven Segal is and remember that she was in "Fatal Attraction" with Michael Douglas. Everybody remembered it in 1997 but maybe not now. Also the ending rips off "Spartacus" and was so unbelievable and condescending that I got angry at the film!

This gets a 4 (and I'm being nice) for a few reasons. The initial reactions of Kline and the town to his being outed IS funny; Joan Cusack is hilarious when she loses it at the end; Tom Selleck is clearly enjoying himself; it's kind of fun to hear Debbie Reynolds declare she's a lesbian; there's a hot and long kiss between Kline and Selleck and the message is that it's OK to be gay. Still this is stereotyped, innocuous and condescending to a ridiculous degree.
  • jboothmillard2 November 2006
    I remember seeing this a long while ago, and I knew most of the concept, but no detail, so I'm glad I watched it again, from director Frank Oz (The Muppets Take Manhattan, Bowfinger). Basically new star Cameron Drake (Matt Dillon) has just won the Academy Award for his latest, where he plays a gay soldier, and he does the usual "thank yous", he even mentions his past school English teacher Howard Brackett (Golden Globe nominated Kevin Kline), and he outs him as gay! Howard is determined to clear his name, and get out of the media spotlight as a denying gay man, especially as his marriage to Emily Montgomery (Oscar and Golden Globe nominated Joan Cusack) is on the way. So it comes to the wedding day, and when it comes to Howard saying yes or no, that is when he outs himself, and admits to himself and everyone, that he is gay. This of course gets him fired as a teacher, but everyone stands at the graduation day to out themselves (in support), and Cameron even shows up to clear things up, so that everyone, especially school head Tom Halliwell (Elf's Bob Newhart) knows it's okay to be gay. Also starring Tom Selleck as Peter Malloy, Debbie Reynolds as Berniece Brackett, Wilford Brimley as Frank Brackett, Gregory Jbara as Walter Brackett, Glenn Close, Whoopi Goldberg and Jay Leno. The highlight of the film has to be when Kline can't help dancing to Diana Ross's version of "I Will Survive", that must have been what convinced him of his sexuality. Kline is always good, Cusack is a surprise Oscar nominee, and all supporting cast members do their bit too, the story came about because of Tom Hanks outing his gay teaching when winning his Oscar for Philadelphia, which was a bit controversial, so the source material was good, and this is a very funny comedy. Very good!
  • jimjam20-217 January 2002
    I didn't care for this at first, but it is really a funny movie. Kevin Kline is his usuall good self as an english teacher who is outed at the Academy Awards by a former student, and he is due to get married soon. Wilferd Brimley is hilarious as Klines dad & Tom Selleck as an openly gay reporter steals almost every scene he is in. Its not one of my favorites, but its better than alot of other "gay comedys".
  • In & Out was a funny comedy with good performances by Joan Cusack, Tom Selleck, Matt Dillon, and Kevin Kline. The thought of Kevin Kline being gay was very funny. If I was him, I would hate to say I'm gay at his own wedding with his family, friends, and his going to be wife there. Very seldom would that ever happen. I also loved when he was dancing around when the voice on the radio was talking to him. I'd say that In & Out was a silly comedy with a lot of laughs and giggles. This is a recommended comedy and Kevin Kline had a great performance as a gay guy. Trust me you'll like this movie.

• In & Out starring Kevin Kline, Tom Selleck and the town of Greenleaf, Indiana is a movie about homosexuality.........and the way we think about it(at least in an exaggerated kind of way)....

Kline is excellent as the teacher who has a hard time coming out and being truthfull to his soon-to-be wife Cusack. Selleck gives a good performance as the TV-reporter who tries to make Kline come out about his homosexuality, being gay himself knowing that denial isn't the right answer.... What's so funny about the movie is some of the prejudices the people from Greenleaf cherish.....apparently you're gay if you own a Barbara Streisand collection (and no! She was not too old to do Yentl!) and you're apparently also gay if you ride a bicylce!

The movie is a wonderful example of taking on prejudice and doing it in an extremely funny way....hilarious! The end where Kline is finally true to himself and afterwards rewarded by the town and his students is predictable but nevertheless compliments a good movie...
  • blanche-21 June 2000
    Kevin Kline is one of our finest actors, and he proves it - again - in "In & Out." The dance sequence alone is worth the price of admission! And Joan Cusack is fantastic. This is a hilarious story, the kind of film you watch when you're depressed.