User Reviews (83)

• I'm not going to say that this is a great movie, or even a great horror movie. A more appropriate way of saying it might be that it's an interesting movie. Those poor filmmakers, they're starting to run out of Stephen King novels to make into movies, so they have to turn to his short stories. Usually this means what should have been a 30 minute movie is drawn out into an hour and a half or longer. But in the case of Mark Pavia's "The Night Flier", story works because Pavia is able to expand on King's original story, and he also seems to have a bit of talent as a director.

Most people complain that Miguel Ferrer's character, Richard Dees, is too mean, or something like that. QUIT COMPLAINING PEOPLE! He's suppose to be an utterly heartless, sleazy, sorry excuse of a person. You're not suppose to feel sorry for him at all as he descends to insanity. Instead having such a terrible lead character is suppose to pose the question whose the real monster? Or, actually I think it'd be more accurate to say, whose the real hero? Is there a hero? Ferrer pulls off the performance perfectly, making a character that could make James Woods or Clint Eastwood whimper in fear. Unfortunately the rest of the cast doesn't do so well, and this pulls in the movie down a little way.

Anyway, Pavia himself has a talent for gloomy atmosphere, with his overcast, gray skies and quiet music and always just slightly-off-angle photography. He expertly subdues the beginning 2/3s of the movie and then throws a bloodbath at us. It's a very well planned and a shocking move on his part.

"The Night Flier" kicks into major gear towards the end. The final, final conclusion is a little weak, but it really couldn't have ended any other way.

Overall, the couple flaws drag "The Night Flier" down to a good but not great movie, but the really cool climax and other elements make up for it, and make it a good time. Be warned, it won't leave you feeling happy or good.
  • Richard Dees is a reporter and he is a vampire because he works for a tabloid and earns his living by writing lurid stories and taking sordid pictures. He's got a despicable job and he is getting sick of it. Dwight Renfield is the Night Flier and he is a vampire too, but he is a "real" one – an evil and supernatural creature feeding itself on humans. He flies from one airfield to another across the U.S. on a black, private aeroplane. Of course he always leaves bloodless corpses behind him and Dees ends up chasing him with his tape recorder and camera. When they eventually meet, the vampire doesn't really feel like killing one of his kind, and he is ready to let him go. Yet Dees proves his curiosity will always make him chase people like the Night Flier and he will bitterly regret it. At the end of the film, everybody will see and remember Richard Dees as what he really was, that is to say a nasty character living on people's suffering. Well, this film is a great B-movie. The story is exciting, Miguel Ferrer is excellent and the film has no Hollywood-like happy ending. I strongly recommend it to anyone looking for a nice thrill and a few gallons of blood.
  • I really don't understand all those nay-sayers."Night Flier" in comparison to the recent so-called horror movies about vampires is pretty good.It's quite scary,it's suspenseful,it's pretty gory and it's a good time!I hate modern vampire flicks like "Blade" or "From Dusk Till Dawn"-they're simply a big-budget Hollywood garbage with an overdose of special effects.Unlike the other reviewers I like the character of Richard Dees-this guy is so wonderfully mean that it's impossible not to like him.The acting is decent and the special effects are okay.As for the gore,there is plenty of blood in "Night Flier",but the violence is not excessive.However gore-hounds should be pleased.Make sure you find this one!Highly recommended.
  • I'm not really a great fan of vampire movies, in fact there are very few that I could actually name that I like, nonetheless I rented ‘The Night Flier' because the DVD cover looked rather interesting but I still didn't expect much from this movie.

Richard Dees (Miguel Ferrer) is a journalist for a sleazy and morbid weekly publication named ‘Inside View' and is assigned to cover the story of a mysterious pilot who flies into rural airports and kills whoever is there, draining the victim of all their blood. At first Richard doesn't want the story but after seeing how big a story it could be and also wanting to put ambitious young journalist Katherine (Julie Entwistle) firmly in her place he accepts the assignment and goes in search of information on the killer he later nicknames The Night Flier.

I was very surprised by the quality of this movie. Currently I am moderately wary of Stephen King adaptations and with it also being a vampire movie my hopes were not particularly high. The first ten minutes or so of ‘The Night Flier' are fairly slow moving and rather tedious but that soon changes as ‘The Night Flier' becomes a quite adept thriller. It's not a typical vampire movie and that is probably why I enjoyed it. Instead, ‘The Night Flier' is more of a crime drama as the movie is directed towards uncovering the killer rather than stopping the killer. This makes it an interesting thriller in a way and despite some noticeably gory scenes stays away from the obvious idea of concentrating solely on the killer's activities. Tension is built up exceptionally by not concentrating too much on The Night Flier. The way the movie plays out gives it a strong purpose as it leads to a blistering finale. What we are left with is a story about a man on the edge who will do anything to get his story. The character of Richard is a bitter man, possibly socially maladjusted and one has to question whether he is in some way disturbed by all that he has witnessed in his life? He shows mental strength in his pursuit of success and seemingly fears nothing, showing no compassion or sympathy for the feelings of others yet there are still moments when he comes across as a much `softer' human being. Miguel Ferrer does an excellent job of portraying Richard and his performance in the last ten minutes of the movie is almost profound. The ending is brutal, in some ways shocking and definitely not what I expected. By the end it becomes obvious that there were two levels of horror working in this movie that came together well to leave us with ‘The Night Flier'.

There were flaws with the movie though, a couple of plot holes and many unanswered questions, though perhaps that the intent was to leave an air of mystery over the movie. Apart from Ferrer I don't think the movie was well cast as most of the other actors didn't really seem to fit the tone of the film. Furthermore, despite many great make-up effects there were also a few (one in particular) that looked awful and seemed to be totally out of place with the rest of the film. The movie was also a little slow in places and does not really get very good until about a third of the way through. These few faults though aren't really enough to harm the enjoyment and whilst this may not be to everyone's liking I personally believe it to be a well made and appealing movie. My rating for ‘The Night Flier' – 7/10.
  • migosh24 October 1998
    I didn't expect this movie to be very good, All of the recent Steven King movies have not been very good, but this was not like him at all. It is a fantastic horror movie. I recommend it for any horror lovers...this is a great one.
  • Spawned from a short story by famed novelist Stephen King, "The Night Flier" presents itself as a mystery that never strays far from horror. I honestly believe that this could be one of the most creative films of the '90s. The dark and menacing tone keeps the viewer entranced, while the mysterious elements keep them guessing till the end. The plot is coherent, and never truly strays into cliches. Production values, including special effects, for this film are exceptional when compared to similar made-for-cable movies. The cast is led by a composed and disturbing Ferrer, though the rest of is forgettable. If you like horror films that are inventive and complex then this film may very well suit you.
    "The Night Flier" has to be in the overall "Top 5" of Stephen King film adaptations. It may depart from the story in some respects, but the changes are effective for a film.

The excellent Miguel Ferrer, who often pops up in King-based films, stars here as a tabloid reporter, Richard Dees. He seems to have "lost his touch", or at least his boss thinks so, but he gets a chance to cover a juicy new story: a pilot who lands at small, obscure airports and kills the people vampire-style. His victims seem to be entranced by him and, in the case of one woman, infatuated by him, and despite warnings posted throughout the country, no one has reported seeing his plane or turned him in. He calls himself "Dwight Renfield", an homage to both the character Renfield and the actor, Dwight Frye, who played him in the Lugosi version of "Dracula".

But there's also a new reporter in town, Katherine Blair (Julie Entwistle). She is young, perky, enthusiastic . . . everything the jaded, emotionally numb Dees is not. It's a case of "hate at first sight". Dees turns down this story at first, but when Renfield claims another victim, he decides to start following the case. There follows a period of Dees simultaneously stalking and being stalked by his "prey", Renfield, as he interviews friends of victims and witnesses. In the course of this, he dubbs his subject "The Night Flier".And, in case we should wonder just how low he's willing to sink for a good tabloid story, we see him vandalizing a victim's grave by decorating it with dead flowers and smearing his own blood on it. He receives warnings to stop his pursuit of the story, including, in one darkly humorous scene, a Bloody Mary that he did not order for himself. When he inquires, it turns out that the man who ordered the drink for him has disappeared. When he looks at the napkin under the glass, he sees a simple note: "Stop now". Our killer, you see, does not want to have to kill Dees, for reasons that become more clear later. Meanwhile, Dees's more-than-slightly-devious boss has encouraged Katherine to pursue the story herself, and laughs delightedly when he learns that the two are staying at the same motel and are therefore bound to bump into each other . . . and butt heads.

They do, in fact, meet up, and Dees convinces Katherine that he wants to join forces. The two start working together and eventually come up with a hot lead: Dees talks to a supervisor at an airport who is clearly lying when he claims not to have seen Renfield or his plane.

The two plan to go to said airport together, but Dees pushes Katherine into a closet in his motel room and locks her in, intent on keeping the story for himself (Renfield has become something of an obsession for him). He arrives at the airport and finds himself surrounded by Renfield's freshly-killed victims. Any doubt that he had actually been tracking a "real vampire" goes out the window. He begins taking pictures, but soon is unable to remain his usual stoic self and becomes physically ill. Enter Renfield, who we cannot see at first, as we are looking into a mirror in Dees's POV, but who we hear in the form of footsteps and see in the form of smashing mirrors and stream of blood instead of urine going into a urinal.

Here follows the ultimate, final confrontation between "journalist" and "subject", in what is possibly one of the most intensely frightening scenes I've ever seen. After demanding that Dees open his camera and destroying the undeveloped film, Renfield explains why he does not want to kill Dees. You see, Dees, in his own way, is a vampire . . . a tabloid journalist who "feeds" on human depravity and tragedy by making his living on the stories he covers. Renfield sees him as a kindred spirit, but still threatens to "swallow Dees whole" if Dees continues to track him.

As Renfield is making his escape, Dees chases after him, demanding to see his face . . . which we, the audience, have not seen, either, at least not in its entirety. Renfield complies, and we get our first real glimpse of an absolutely wonderful mask made by KNB. Again, one of the creepiest things I've ever seen.

Renfield decides to feed Dees his blood, and there follows a hallucinatory, black-and-white, Night-Of-The-Living-Dead only with Vampires scene that comes to a head when Dees decides to use an axe to defend himself against this horde of undead creatures.

Then, as the police enter, we transition to color again, and we wonder . . . was there really a Renfield, or did Dees actually do the killing to begin with? Was it really him all along? That question is answered for us, however, when Katherine, who has escaped the motel room and is on the scene, looks out a window and catches a glimpse of our vampire as his human-looking self. (We also know from a glimpse of pictures in an album he keeps inside his plane that Katherine looks very much like a woman he loved before becoming what he now is . . . was she with him in a past life? Does she feel an emotional connection to him because of that? We'll never know). The police are forced to shoot Dees when he comes at Katherine with the axe, and when one of them asks who he is, Katherine answers, "His name is Richard Dees . . . we call him the Night Flier". Dees is dead . . . long live Katherine.

A definite "must see" if you're a fan of King, Vampires, or both. Cheers.
  • This movie is a notch above most King films.

I own the DVD of this film and I have to say that Director Mark Pavia did an excellent job with this film. Especially with the end. The end is a great tribute to George A. Romero's style but it goes further and becomes creepier than anything I've seen in recent memory. I caught the last fifteen minutes of this film on cable one night and I was hooked. I remember thinking wow what a stylish film what the hell is this? So I researched and found out the title and bought the film.

The film suffers from a lame screenplay and some stiff acting. Miguel Ferrer was excellent, as was Dan Monahan. Michael H. Moss and Julie Entwisle were a bit stiff. All in all this is a good horror movie and the DVD transfer is sharp and the colors are precise. The sound balance is natural, without over-placement of artificial sound effects.

Watch it alone on a stormy night!
  • This movie was absolutely great. Of course it had some bad clips but overall, the scenery, plot, and charactors were far out the best. The ending was really strange and hard to understand but you got to love it. Oh yeah, and check out the villians face... some freaky stuff... nine out of ten!!!
    SPOILERS! ! !

Armed with only a camera and a tape recorder, slimy journalist Miguel Ferrer hunts down a murderer known as The Night Flier, named so because he travels from location to location in his airplane.

The movie starts out like more of a murder mystery, and is very interesting to watch, as you are never told exactly what's going on, although when corpses with bite marks on their necks start to turn up, it gets fairly obvious. Ferrer tracks The Night Flier from location to location taking photo's of everything related to the case. As aforementioned, it starts like a murder mystery. It truly is tense, gory, and exciting, all at the same time. A lot of the story is told in a stylish sort of flashback, which adds to the tension as well as the overall style of the movie. The creepy music and ambient sounds add to the atmosphere, and the fact that we don't see the Night Flier right up until the end also builds tension.

Ferrer plays the emotionally challenged journalist expertly, showing the characters physical weakness, but mental strength to succeed. The whole affair builds to an anti-climax, which I won't spoil - suffice to say, it's not a Happy Hollywood ending.

The Night Flier is by no means the greatest horror film out there, but then again, it's not a mainstream Hollywood movie, so it never will get the recognition it deserves. It certainly gives the viewer a lot more than the recent King flop Dreamcatcher, and is definitely worth a look, especially for those looking for a decent horror or vampire movie.

8 out of 10
  • You can say what you want about Stephen King-movies, but there's always just enough talent and budget involved to not make 'em look cheap. In THE NIGHT FLIER this talent mostly comes from actor Miguel Ferrer and SFX-artists Kurtzman, Nicotero & Berger. Ferrer is an often overlooked actor who most of the time only gets supporting rolls. But he'll always be edged in my memory as go-getter Bob Morton in Paul Verhoeven's ROBOCOP. Now he gets the chance to star in the leading roll in THE NIGHT FLIER, and he proves that he can carry a film. He was just perfect as the arrogant sleaze-reporter Richard Dees.

There's a mysterious figure flying in a black airplane and landing on small airports at night. He leaves behind him a trail of mutilated, blood-drained corpses. Richard Dees, reporter for the cheese & sleaze magazine "Inside View", is put on the case. So he gets in his airplane and starts following the same route as the vampiric murderer. Meantime, a rival reporter (the rookie Katherine Blair) is also assigned to write a story about it...

The plot is nothing too complicated, but it's built up nicely and even manages to be a bit scary from time to time. It all leads to the enjoyable final scenes at the last airport. The vampire is mostly kept in the dark throughout the movie, which helps to build-up a little tension. But don't worry, you'll be satisfied when you see it's ugly scary face in the end. Which brings us to the work of our beloved KNB-crew. The special make-up-effects are very decent and quite gory too. And I also liked the fact that the vampire is able to mess with peoples minds.

Okay, there are some improbabilities concerning some events in the plot, but lets not make a big deal out of it. Just take it as it is: It's a decent Stephen King-adaptation and a good vampire-movie, nothing more nothing less. So switch off the lights and fly with it.
  • This movie, unlike almost every other movie made from a Stephen King story, is awesome. Ferrer is perfect for the role of somewhat coldhearted tabloid reporter, Dees, and he makes the movie work in the end. There are a few cheesy things about the movie, the look of the vampire being the biggest, but it's easy to look past these little things and see the movie as it is. It's creepy and it's entertaining. I have watched this movie a number of times, and I still get excited to see it coming on cinemax or HBO or whatever.

The film's look is really done well, a lot of darkness adds to the overall feel. The places used to shoot the different airports are awesome as well, great small town look, where things like this might happen, and no one would even know. I love the movie, and I think it's probably the best King adaption yet. By the way, the word can either be adaption or adaptation...just in case anyone was wondering of my use of the word.:) 9/10
  • Richard Dees (Miguel Ferrer) is a nasty and bitter senior reporter from sensationalist tabloid Inside View. When a mysterious pilot starts killing persons nearby the airports, Richard's boss Merton Morrison (Dan Monahan) invites him to cover the matter, but he is not interest. However, rookie reporter Katherine "Jimmy" Blair (Julie Entwisle) studies thoroughly the story of a serial-killer that killed his victims Claire Ellis Bowie in Maine; Buck Kendall in New York; and Ray and Ellen Sarch in Maryland. But Richard steals her research and gives the following advice to Katherine: "Never believe what you publish...Never publish what you believe". He flies to each place in his plane and realizes that the killer might be a vampire due to his style and calls him "The Night Flier". Meanwhile Merton assigns Katherine to follow Richard to give a different view of the same story. When Richard finally finds The Night Flier, he descends to the hell in his insanity and Katherine follows his advice.

"The Night Flier" is one of the best adaptations of Stephen King for video, with an interesting horror movie with a different vampire story. The plot is well constructed, and the story is very simple, but also very frightening. Miguel Ferrer has a good performance in the role of a scum reporter. Unfortunately, Julie Entwisle has a very weak performance in an important character. The contrast between the final black and white scene and the following bright colored one is visually impressive. My vote is eight.

Title (Brazil): "Vôo Noturno" ("Night Flight")
    I loved this adaptation!! Believe it or not! It was dramatic, bloody, graphic and *INTENSE* just like the story was.

But this was adapted from a short story. It is in my opinion that short stories tend to be easier to adapt, as they have little room for detail or too MUCH story, thereby making it easier to adapt, as it leaves quite a bit to the imagination.

The scenes here were well directed, the plot stuck with the storyline, the actors were capable, if somewhat dullard and slow at times, and the carnage was awesome. This is honestly not for anyone with a weak stomach, or those of tender heart. It can be considered quite shocking.

*-SPOILER-*

In the airport scene, when you enter the airport and it's filled with blood and body parts? That RAWKED!!

*-END SPOILER-*

Excellent job.

It gets a 7.9/10 from...

the Fiend :.
  • midnightrane21 November 2001
    I gave this movie an extra point just for having the meanest looking, most imaginative vampire I've seen since "Nosferatu". It's not the greatest movie by any stretch of the imagination, but if you enjoy Stephen King, scary movies or just like vampires--it's worth a look.
  • This is arguably one of Stephen King's best stories that is made into a movie! Night Flier is an excellent movie! Miguel Ferrer did an excellent job of acting! I just love the vampire! His costume is so neat and his great and horrific looks is so realistic! His voice is incredible! He moves so fluidly! His character in My opinion is very real and believeable! I don't know what else I can say about him! There is quite a bit of gore and blood! The music is very good as well! The Night Flier is a very decent film and in My opinion is a very unrecognized film that deserves more attention than it has received! If you love Stephen King, Miguel Ferrer, Dracula, Vampires, Universal Monsters, and Horror movies then Night Flier is the ultimate horror film to watch!
  • Night Flier is so far one of the best vampire films up to date.While it delivers an extremely high violence level,it delivers some laughter sometimes(very rarely).The film has great acting that makes the movie great in many ways,Its entertaiment level is high,and the blood effects are spectacular.While it leaves out many elements that vampire movies have,it manages to make up for it in acting and violence.Some horror fans may not like The Night Flier,but it is almost guaranteed to deliver entertaiment to the average horror fan.Best part of the movie is the ending and the blood effects,and the worst part of the movie is the one scene where it is nothing but rancid acting.Other than that,Night Flier delivers great make-up effects,great acting in all but one scene,and perfect story line.Great movie to watch.8 out of 10.
  • Stephen King, the master of deliriously high concept horror, strikes again with The Night Flier, a gruesome, clever and painfully overlooked HBO midnite movie, starring everyone's favourite grouchy pants, Miguel Ferrer, or Albert Rosenfield to any good Twin Peaks fans out there. Via a creepy take on tabloid journalism and the insidious obsession it breeds, King and Co. take a look at the way words get twisted from fact to bombastic fiction, the jaded reality one arrives at after working too long in such a field, and the hilarious possibility that such ridiculous, "made up" horrors one fabricates might in fact be a reality. Acid tongued Ferrer plays Richard Dees, a bitter and depressingly cynical trash reporter who is one drink away from the gutter and two lousy stories away from retirement, an acrid soul who lives by the mantra "Don't believe what you publish, and don't publish what you believe" (a pearl of wisdom that I imagine is rattling around King's own skull, when we look at the sacrilege being wrought upon his magnum opus The Dark Tower in its cinematic emergence, particularly in regards to the casting of Roland the Gunslinger). Dees is on the hunt for en elusive serial killer who pilots an unnamed Cessna across the Midwest, slaughtering people in and around remote airports before vanishing into the night. Vampiric in origin and very hard to track down, this fiend uses the dark as his ally and seems to slip uncannily across America's airspace, leaving a wake of bloody murder in his path that gives any old tabloid yarn a run for its money. Jaded Dees gets more than his usual brand of hoaxes and pranks, and seems oddly, morbidly drawn to this spree of horrific crimes, eerily willing to follow the Night Flier into the very jaws of Cerberus himself, if only to find exodus from his pointless, roundabout existence. All of King's beloved qualities are at play here; grotesque practical effects, gnawing existential calamity, a light at the end of a tunnel that seems to crush our protagonist before they can reach it, and clever morality plays buried like demonic Easter eggs amidst the corn syrup and latex. An overlooked treat.
  • I still remember a 10 year old kid with his old man watching The Night Flier, old man understood everything when the kid asked what was that old man replied "Someday you'll understand" and after 18 years just last night I finished watching this movie and all of that nostalgic feelings the memories and the chills hit me with the baseball club.

• Review on the movie now:

• This movie will always be remain favorite due so many reasons; to start off because of its sentimental values (as my dad is no more with us now) secondly this movie was my introduction to Stephan King and finally for being my first ever horror-film.

• The plot alongside its storytelling was absolutely breathtaking, the direction and cinematography was insanely immaculate and the acting was flawless, hats off to the creators and I must say Mr. King would be proud after watching it.

• Overall I'll give it 8/10 with the highest recommendations to all the moviegoers out there, "The Night Flier" is a must watch. • The Night Flier will always snatch an extra point for its sentimental values attached to me.

• Two Thumbs up.
    Films like this fill me with hope for straight-to-video flicks. For hours I'll sit through endless trash, totally irredeemable and pointless. But occasionally, very occasionally, something interesting will turn up, as is the case with this film. Don't be put off by the fact it's been languishing in the dark for nearly three years before release in the UK, as THE NIGHT FLIER is a highly enjoyable and in some ways, old-fashioned, thriller.

The plot comes across a bit like an episode of THE X-FILES, with a journalist (instead of an FBI agent) interviewing suspects and gradually getting closer and closer to the killer of the story. This isn't cliché land, though, as the 'hero' of the story, played by Miguel Ferrer, is for a change a totally heartless character, out for his story and nothing else. In fact there are no sympathetic people in this film at all, everybody is out for themselves, whether it be for fame, fortune, or just plain food in the vampire's case. A lot of people found Ferrer's performance to be misjudged and criminal, that in a lot of ways he is actually more evil than the vampire he seeks. Ferrer is cynical to the point of hopelessness, walking around with his camera and snapping dead people like a birdwatcher would take pictures of birds. A car accident he coincidentally passes he regards as a "bonus", photographing the sprawled corpses with relish. Although Ferrer seems to be typecast in villainous roles, it's something he does brilliantly.

And I did feel sorry for him too by the time the finale arrived. Okay, so he had been warped by the sickness around him, but he was still human, just at mercy from the own dark side of his soul. Unfortunately, apart from Ferrer's performance, the rest of the acting in the film is of a low standard, with Julie Entwistle supplying a pretty face but little depth. Thankfully Ferrer is on screen for most of the running time (yes, the film focuses on him instead of the vampire, refreshingly). I was glad that this film didn't bother with all the standard talk about vampires being killed with garlic and stakes, in fact the makers knew that the audience would already know what a vampire was so there was little reason to explain.

Okay, so the film does fall foul of some of the conventions of modern horror (i.e. the scenery is littered with bloodied corpses at every opportunity, there's little plot to move things along, it's more like a series of linked scenes), but it overcomes these flaws and turns out to be a nice little gem of a film, offbeat and different enough to appeal to the fan tired of slug-like films, bloated with gore, like WISHMASTER and its sequel. The vampire himself wears an old fashioned cape (I would have sworn it was the one that previously belonged to Lugosi, except he was buried in it) and looks like a decayed version of the guy from SALEM'S LOT. The makeup is very good, and used only briefly to be more shocking (except thanks to advertisers they smeared the image in close up all over the posters and video boxes, ruining the impact. This really annoyed me as the vampire's face was hidden throughout the film, yet the suspense coming from his unknown appearance was ruined by the stupid box designers). The gore level is quite high, especially in the last third, and mainly takes the form of bloodied bodies.

One thing that is brilliant about this film is the twist ending, which I won't spoil, only to say that it's very similar to the ending of ARLINGTON ROAD and just as effective. There's a hallucinogenic moment where Ferrer is forced to drink the vampire's blood and sees the dead coming back to life around him, enshrouded in mist, just like in NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD; made more effective through the use of black and white. I loved the corpse with flashing eyes saying "can you look this way?", a reflection of what Ferrer had become, a camera and no conscience. THE NIGHT FLIER somewhat bravely breaks the boundaries of the genre, and, although disliked by many, definitely deserves at least one watch. It's also one of those films which has a long-standing appeal and can be enjoyed more than once, because it's not just about special effects.
  • First when I saw the cover of THE NIGHT FLIER, I found it interesting that Miguel Ferrer was in a leading role; he is definitely one of our times greatest (and most underrated) actors. Its too bad he never gets any leading roles, because he shows us that he can carry it with no problem. Of course we all remember him in the leading role as the slick Yankee Bob Morton in ROBOCOP, but he should get bigger roles!! Well, this movie. The story is classic Stephen King, it's gory, fun, fu***** scary, and GREAT acted by Mr. Ferrer. In the end I almost s*** myself, it was G-R-E-A-T! Of a direct-on-DVD to be, it's a must for every horror- or Miguel Ferrer-fan.

10 out of 10 (no less!)
  • super marauder27 March 2003
    I can see by other people's comments, this is one of these movies that people either love it, or hate it. I can understand that. After all, vampire stories are as old as time itself, so how many ways can you tell it?

Myself, I like this one. Yes, it is another vampire story, with a nifty twist. This time, the blood sucker flies from one small town airport, to another searching for fresh victims, and a tabloid reporter uses his feeding frenzy to get back to the front page. Miguel Ferrer is at his best when he plays a heavy, or some *bad* dude with an attitude.

I do agree on one point though, they could have toned the gore down, just a tad. I don't recommend this to kids! Like one of the other reviewers said, this would have made a great X-Files story.
  • This is a good movie here. Very moody, dark, and mysterious. We follow Richard Dees, an angry, cold, heartless journalist as he follows the trail of a vampire-style killer pilot called "The Night Flier" in his own plane. Dees did a good job of making me hate him a lot, but I have to admit, thats what makes him so damn cool. You hate him, you're mad at him...yet you want to see him catch the bad guy. This movie had a variety of places in which Dees travels. He's never really in the city or anything, but always more in the countryside. This movie was very well made and deserves more than the 5.5 rating it has (as of 2/22/08). This is an instant classic. This movie was made in 1997, well past the point in time when Horror Movies just bombed. But it has managed to have the older, "eerie" feel to it unlike these piece of crap horror movies they spit at us today. I gladly rate this an 8/10. Watch this movie if you want a good, eerie horror movie.
  • Nancy-4021 September 1999
    this movie was very creepy, i saw it when i was 14 and it gave me nightmares!! its about a reporter following this vampire demon around and it eventually makes the reporter go crazy! very good Stephen King flick!