- Steve Prefontaine: So, what have I got going for me?
- Steve Prefontaine: Why does some kid from Coos Bay with one leg shorter than the other win races?
- Steve Prefontaine: Let me tell you something, all of my life people have said to me, "You're too small, Pre. You're not fast enough, Pre. Give up your foolish dreams, Steve!" But you know what, they forgot something: I have to win. There's no fallback here, no great stride, no long legs--nothing!
- Steve Prefontaine: I'm sorry.
- [puts head down]
- Mac Wilkins: I live for the discus. I hate Christmas and Thanksgiving and Easter - anything that breaks my routine.
- [first lines]
- Bill Bowerman: Pre turned distance running into a blood sport. You wanna know what he meant to folks around here? What was it
- Bill Bowerman: kids said back then? "You just had to be there."
Contribute to this page
Suggest an edit or add missing content