User Reviews (108)

• While many reviewers gave this film mild or bad reviews, they all seem to miss the attention to detail -- the artistic attempt not only to recreate the look and atmosphere of THE GODFATHER, but also the look of the periods depicted. I found the film delightful. I was expecting what I got -- a spoof from the AIRPLANE folks. They didn't promise Shakespeare so don't expect iambic pentameter.
  • Outi5 August 1998
    It certainly took a long time to get to see the first spoof on the ever-so -serious mafia flicks! However, it was worth the wait - Jim Abrahams has certainly not lost his touch. Although there is an abundant number of really bad jokes in the picture, and many times you've heard them before (in Airplane!, Naked Gun etc.), one cannot help but like it. For one thing, Mafia! looks fabulous (especially the Sicilian scenes). At times sparks really fly in terms of funny dialogue and character interaction - I especially enjoyed Christina Applegate's 'presidential' performance. Although Lloyd Bridges will be fondly remembered (and missed), I would have preferred to see Leslie Nielsen in Don Cortino's role.
  • Here's a very funny spoof on The Godfather story. This is a Leslie Nielsen-type silly parody, except the late Lloyd Bridges played the lead role instead Nielson.

Actually Jay Mohr was more of the lead actor in here, narrating the film and taking Al Pacino's Godfather role while Christina Applegate took Diane Keaton's character.

There are a number of laugh-out-loud lines in this movie and a number of overdone slapstick scenes. As with any comedy in which the material comes at you at a rapid pace (see the Marx Brothers films from 70 years ago to see some of the origins of comedic mayhem), you get a lot funny and not-so-funny. They come at you so fast you can hardly keep up. I found that there were a lot of funny lines written on background buildings, street signs, etc. on this film. You almost have to freeze-frame some scenes to "read" all the jokes, much less hear them.

This movie did do something that Hollywood films rarely have done: poke fun at a Democrat. Usually, the cheap shots are reserved for Republcians (Nixon, Gingrich, Reagan, Bush, etc) but here we have the famous "But I never had sex with that woman!" line delivered in a obvious reference. Well, good for them. About time the Liberals were recipients of a cheap shot or two. It only happens about once every 25 years in films. So, I give this film points for being "fair and balanced."

Also points should be awarded for having several actors from the actual Godfather films make appearances here, too. The film was dedicated "in loving memory" to Bridges, so I assume this was his last movie. Well, he certainly went out with a laugh.
  • 13Funbags9 August 2018
    I'm surprised I never heard of this before. It had some really funny moments. The attack goats cracked me up.
  • jotix1002 August 2005
    Jim Abrahams, the director of "Jane Austen's Mafia", is a man that knows a thing, or two, about what to give the public as he has already shown in his acerbic satires. This one, came without any warning the other night and frankly, either we were in a giddy mood, or we were ready to laugh looking at this spoof on the different Godfathers films, as well as others, most notably, Goodfellas and Casino. Francis Ford Coppola and Martin Scorsese might have laughed at seeing some of the material they directed seen in a different light.

The casting was excellent. LLoyd Bridges, for whom the film is dedicated, gives a great performance as the older Vincenzo Cortino. Jay Mohr as the younger Cortino is good. The same can be said for the rest of the cast that do some amazing funny turns.

The only suggestion is to stay tuned to the credits because of the funny lines in between the names of the people involved in this film. If you're in a mood for fun and want to see some light fare, this is the film for you.
  • willywants4 September 2004
    Young Vincenzo Cortino, son of a Sicilian postman, delivers a package for his father and accidentally sees something he should not see. In a donkey's, well, he is smuggled out of town, where he tries to reach a ship headed for America. There, Vincenzo works his way up to the top of the Mafia. One day, his youngest son makes a mistake and has to leave town. A little later, he ends up as a casino boss in Las Vegas. But the heads of the other families want old Don Cortino out of the way. So, they shoot him 47 times and send a *very* attractive woman to distract his son from his casino work. Will he fall for her or will he return to Diane, who, by the way, had run for President successfully in the meantime? Not every joke works, but many of them are indeed quite hilarious. If you liked Jim Abrahams previous films, i.e. Hot Shots 1&2, you'll probably like this film. It spoofs everything from "The Godfather", to "Jurassic park 2", to "Forrest gump". It was also entertaining watching many people who were IN the Godfather spoofing they're own characters! My rating for "Mafia!"--8/10.

ABOUT THE DVD: Touchstone has released a reasonable DVD for the film. The image is presented in 1.85:1 and generally isn't a bad picture but has a surprisingly high amount of grain and dirt (This is especially obvious during darker sequences) but the picture is sharp,colors are good, and blacks are solid. The Dolby Digital 5.1 sound is as fine as I could have hoped for. Audio is crystal clear and there's plenty of surround sound effects to keep your rear speakers occupied. For extras we are given a tiny production featurette, which consist of cast interviews, film clips, and some behind-the-scene footage. This featurette runs a little less than 2 minutes. The disk is adequately closed-captioned with substantial paraphrasing. My rating for the DVD: 7.5/10.
  • Gigaloo458222 June 1999
    More comedy than I expected. The one liners were hilarious. It had its stupid parts, but so stupid you had to laugh at the stupidity.
  • Quinoa198424 July 2000
    This film is a nice tribute to the late (great) Lloyd Bridges in his final role as the main Don Conrtino (he keeps mixing it up though) who must pass on his business (mob) to his son Tony (played hilariously by Jay Mohr). A great spoof as always coming from ZAZ man (A man actually) Jim Abrahams who casts Bridges for the 5th time. He also brings to the screen zany yet funny parodies of films (gnagster in general) including- GoodFellas, Casino, The Godfather Trilogy, Jaws, Jurassic Park 1 & 2, and countless others. Plenty of gags and two great performances save this film from plot destruction. One of the funniest spoofs ever. A+
  • Wow! You'd think by now Jim Abraham's material would be worn out and unoriginal. Think again. MAFIA! has got to be among one of the funniest parody films of the 1990s. This movie had me laughing for hours after I saw it, and even now when I think of some of the gags (especially the games in the casino) I can't help but to crack up. Also, the acting is BRILLIANT. Kudos to everyone who starred in the film! They all pulled off the ludicrously hilarious gags and delivered the most funny lines while keeping a straight face the entire time. I could never do that.
  • mattkratz6 June 2001
    A worthwhile spoof of gangster movies (especially the godfather and casino) with several really funny scenes that will keep you laughing. I enjoyed this when I saw it and would recommend it. Good script and good performances.

** 1/2 out of ****
  • Antagonisten8 March 2006
    Jim Abrahams has written several of my favorite fast-paced comedies, like "Hot Shots" and "The Naked Gun", and of course my favorite "Airplane!". This was the first movie that i felt it was obvious he was losing his touch. The comedy is not as fast-paced here as it was before, nor is it as spot-on. Spoofing the "Godfather"-movies shouldn't be very hard really. Those movies are as potentially silly as great movies always are, walking the thin line that greatness is.

The problem here is that i think they missed so many things that could have been spoofed, and they included some things that didn't need spoofing. The best part of the movie in my opinion is the one with the young Cortino coming to America. The more contemporary parts are less funny and more silly. Mostly i find it to be a lack in the script department as both Lloyd Bridges and Jay Mohr are pretty suitable for their parts.

In the end this is about 50 percent embarrassing and 50 percent funny, much like many of Leslie Nielsens later movies. It's far from "Hot Shots" and "Naked Gun" but then again such comedy is not what it was.
  • Casey-2427 August 1998
    Ok. Call me crazy, but I liked it. I think that the other people who rated this movie were crazy because they expected some kind of wonderful award winning movie. There was no seriousness in it, and I say it was great for what it was supposed to be!
  • TyC8 December 1999
    WARNING: includes info about a scene in the movie. Do not read if you don't want to know what happens.

I thought this movie was incredibly funny, especially the "Run, Florist, Run!" bit. When we saw that bit, everyone in the room burst out laughing and couldn't stop for about 5 minutes. I also loved the beginning explosion scene when the opening credits are appearing. Great movie.
    Korean War veteran "Tony" (Jay Mohr), the son of Mafia boss "Vincenzo Armani Windbreaker Cortino" (Lloyd Bridges, in his final role before his death), is hand-picked by his retiring father to take over the family "business." However, this causes a rift between him and his Protestant, peace-loving girlfriend, "Diane" (Christina Applegate), who leaves him when it's obvious that the man she loves is not really what she thought him to be.

Now, "Tony" lives the life of a mafioso, while trying to find a long-time family enemy who lost his thumb in a bizarre incident.

If you are a Lloyd Bridges fan, then you have to see this only because this was his final role before his death. This film is in the same vein as the "Hot Shots" movies, which also starred him, but you will not laugh as much as you would with those films. He was a lot funnier in the "Hot Shots" movies, but does bring some pretty good laughs in this film.

Surprisingly, Mohr is pretty good in his role. He is pretty much the straight man for the rest of the cast and the visual jokes (like a Vegas version of Candy Land). If you ask me, he played "Tony" somewhere between a comedic role and a more dramatic role, and did it nicely. He also did a pretty good narration, but it wasn't perfect.

You get a pretty even amount of physical comedy with some comical lines all through the film -- all the way through the end of the closing credits in fact. And I suggest you actually watch the closing credits because they slipped some jokes into them. However, I felt that many of the jokes just didn't work, and found myself not laughing at them.

The plot somewhat follows the one seen in "The Godfather" and relies heavily on that, and other Mafia movies. However, "The Godfather" series is the obvious inspiration for this film. However, they do slip in some jokes poking fun at more modern things like HMOs, popular children's games like Chutes and Ladders and President Bill Clinton's denial of not having a sexual relationship with Monica Lewinski.

There is character development in this film, but not a whole lot. I thought a few characters could have been developed more, especially if they helped in the plot twists. Even some of the major players in this film was not greatly developed.

Because the cast is mainly Italian, a lot of jokes target the Italian life. Many people may find these jokes offensive. If you ask me, these jokes are fairly tame though.

This movie is not for everybody. In fact, if you haven't seen some of the greatest Mafia movies, especially the "Godfather" trilogy, you might not like this movie. Like I said earlier, there are some jokes referencing things and events we've all experienced in out lives, but this movie is for fans of the Mafia movie genre more than any other audience.

Believe it or not, there is no blood in this movie despite the subject. Yes, there is some violence, but it's played for comedy. At one point in the movie, "Don Cortino" (Bridges) is riddled with bullets, but no blood comes from the wounds and the witnesses, including the band playing during the scene, thinks he is doing various dances including the Macarena. You even get a death by flowers (where we are lead into by a reference to "Forrest Gump").

If you are looking for Oscar-worthy performances, this movie is absolutely not for you. Except for Mohr, you mainly get over-the-top performances from the cast. Mohr, who plays his role straight compared to the rest of the cast, and Bridges are easily the two best performances. However, Olympia Dukakis, who plays Bridges mother (she was actually 20 years younger than him at the time this film was made) stands from of the supporting cast. Other major performers were given weakly written characters, and their performances reflect that.

Unlike the "Godfather" trilogy, the score here is not really memorable. You get some current music, from the time of its making and release, but nothing too spectacular worth noting by way of original music.

This movie got destroyed by critics when it was finally released. But, like most movies, it's not as bad as they say. If you like the "Airplane!" and "Hot Shots" movies, you may like this one. However, I find that this one can't live up to the comic genius of those previous movies.

If you ask me, I can't recommend this as a "Must See" movie, but check it out on HBO for some good laughs and because it's Bridges' final performance.
  • Let me start out by saying that I'm the type of person who is open to all kinds of comedy, whether it's dumb or smart, that's just me. Though I'll admit, this movie was the kind of dumb comedy that my 8 year old brother would laugh hysterically at simply because of the physical humor. My parents however did not enjoy it as much. As for me, I found the movie to be funny despite what others may say. I found it be a clever dumb comedy, like watching a Leslie Nelson movie, things like that I enjoy. So, if you're the type of person who enjoys this type of movie, go ahead and enjoy it. If you're the person who would rather watch a comedy like "American Splendor" good for you. In short, this movie would only be considered funny, or even good, depending on the type of person you are.
  • The other night I was looking for a movie to watch and I came across Mafia! For the most part, I'm a decent fan of mafia films, I love Goodfellas, Casino, and The Godfather. So a parody seemed like a good idea to me. After all, these films are always serious and sometimes you need to get a good joke out of them. So Mafia seemed like a good idea to me. I watched it last night and I have to say that while there were a few laughs here and there, Mafia's humor is mostly forced and typical. I know that most parody films are usually predictable in humor, but it would have been nice if it could have had more originality. Or maybe I'm wrong, mafia movies are just not what you could parody for a story. Mafia pretty much has the typical humor of kid getting hit by every object, movies that they parody that have nothing to do with the subject they're going for, fart, and sex jokes. It's just not original; but there are a few laughs here and there I admit. The story could have worked if they just cut back on a few typical gags.

Anthony is part of the mafia family, he runs a casino in Las Vegas and his father is the Don of the family. But when his father is almost murdered during a wedding dance, he goes into the family business. With the non existing help from his coke addict brother, he must try to survive this business while trying to maintain a normal life. But he just about looses it when he decides to go ahead and kill everyone.

Mafia! is over all not the most horrible comedy I've ever seen, there are movies that are a thousand times worse, but I think that the crew of the film just got a little out of control with what they had. I think it could have been a good film if the jokes were not just so predictable and bland. The cast seemed to have an alright time making the movie, I don't think they were really into it, except for Lloyd Bridges who played The Godfather, he looked like he had a fun time. I don't know if I would recommend this film, if you're looking for an average parody, this the movie for you, but don't expect anything more.

• I was really looking forward to seeing this film last night as I am a huge fan of the Airplanes, Hot Shots, Police Squads, Naked Guns and Top Secret. I found this on lovefilm and thought - why have i never heard of this? I haven't laughed this hard for ages. I admire the filmmakers so much for being so clever and entertaining. The production values are really high as well, everything looks quality and well made. Older films like Airplane etc can look cheap but it adds to their charm, so it was nice to see this modern film which was hardly a blockbuster, made so well and looking like the budget was much higher.

Of course not every joke tickled my funny bone, I could have done without the farting, spewing and when Lloyd Bridges get shot up but people think he's dancing.

But apart from that I found it absolutely hilarious and I can't wait to see it again. Jay Mohr is so great - if you can, watch Action. It's a TV series he did, only one series but it's soooo good! Really funny and totally uncheesy like all American sitcoms feel they have to be. It's about a Hollywood producer.

Anyway, back to Mafia. The writers have worked so hard, not only on the script but the visual gags, injokes and references. I love spotting a funny poster, or something in the credits. Everyone has put so much effort into making this movie the best and the funniest it could be.

I was stunned by the low rating but hey, different strokes for different folks.

If you are reading the comments, deciding whether or not to rent/buy this movie, I definitely think you should - especially if you are a fan of Airplane,Top Secret, Police Squad, Naked Gun, Police Academy and Hot Shots.

Fun Fact! Actor Jay Mohr is allergic to poi

What the hell is poi?
  • Mafia! (much like Hotshots and Airplane) is very very funny..... The pacing of the film is such that you never wait too long for the next big laugh to come along. Lloyd Bridges is excellent again (as he was in Hotshots) play Vincenzo Cortino, head of the mafia, whose two sons, Joey and Anthoney are vying for control of the mob now that their father is getting old. Joey is hilarious! There are a few scenes from this movie I just have to think of to burst out laughing (the funeral Scene is the funniest thing EVER on film). I'm actually laughing hard as I type this.......

Anyway, anyone who is a fan of Hot shots, Airplane and Naked Gun will enjoy this movie immensely.
    This movie is the severed horse's head bleeding all over the pajamas of intelligent moviegoers everywhere.

Helmed by writer-director Jim Abrahams - the comedy maverick who brought us Airplane and Hot Shots and The Naked Gun - words cannot describe the humor that every single frame of this movie judiciously avoids.

Attempting desperately to be a spoof of The Godfather and its ilk, Mafia! stars Lloyd Bridges as Don Cortino and Jay Mohr (who does a killer Walken - but not here) as his Pacino-esquire son. That is all ye need to know. From there, it's downhill fast.

Don't ever mention this film around me again.
  • I've said it before, I'll say it again, I love parodies. Whether they're done by Mel Brooks, the Abrahams or even Enzio Greggio, it is always interesting to see how many movie references are tagged on. Mafia though does have more than its fair share of bad jokes, but it does have several very funny scenes such as the boy's wish on the falling star (stolen from Repossessed who stole it from Benny Hill), a take on Riverdance and the Lou Ferrigno hand dryer. While Jay Mohr is not among my favorite actors, heck, he ruined "The Jeff Foxworthy Show," he does have numerous funny lines. It is also a thrill to see Christina Applegate playing someone other than Kelly Bundy. It is though hard to watch Lloyd Bridges take a role more meant for Leslie Nielsen; he was just too old for that much physical humor. Two things do work against this movie, the shifting between past and present which is too disorienting, and the tacking on of too many movie references. "Shriek If You Know" with Tiffani Thiessen ran smoother. Despite a few flaws in its pace, the movie is an uproarious laughfest and deserves its place in the limelight.
  • Boyo-29 August 1999
    I thought most of the jokes were recycled from previous efforts, and only a few of the new ones were worth putting in the final cut. But the cast gives it their all and they are mostly successful, but what was Olympia Dukakis supposed to be? The great talent of Jay Mohr could have been better utilized also.
  • Mixing the plots of Godfather with Casino, Goodfellas etc this follows the story of Tony Cortino who returns home as a war hero who is forced into the leadership of the Mafia following the attempted assassination of his father.

What does the plot matter - it is broadly a copy of the first two Godfathers but ropes in plenty of spoofs of gangster movies as well as others (eg Forrest Gump), however it's main success (if it has one) is that it reminds you how good those films are. When I finished watching this I wanted to watch all the real films to wash this nasty thing out of my mind.

The spoof scenes are lazy and not inspired at all - they are really easy and obvious, totally lacking any intelligence or effort. I actually enjoy spoofs - Blazing Saddles, Airplane, Naked Gun - I enjoy them all, so it's not like I feel they're beneath me or anything. However the jokes here are stupid, I actually chuckled twice in 90 minutes (not laughed but chuckled), and both of these were at stupid jokes.

The cast are OK but deserve better - when I see Vincent Pastore in this after being so good in Sopranos it makes me sad. Fair enough, Jay Mohr probably doesn't deserve any better but the rest do. The saddest sight is Bridges - so funny in Airplane and Hotshots, but here his clowning is rubbish. What makes it worse is that before the end credits the film is dedicated to his memory! Surely a more fitting tribute would have been to reshoot all his scenes and prevent this from being one of the last things he did.

Overall this is terrible - I'm a fan of spoofs and this barely made me laugh once or twice. This only success in reminding you how good the original films were. A mess!
  • I very much enjoy comedies - this movie was almost never funny and a waste of time ... Absolutely in the bottom 1% of all movies I've even seen (and there have been 100's if not 1000s)...
  • mjbridges8228 April 2005
    According to arbitrary statistics; over 90% of Americans don't know who Jane Austen is, which is why the name was dropped from the promotion of Jane Austen's Mafia! (1998). In other news, at least five quarters of all Popes found to be Catholic. Film at eleven.

Directed and partially written by spoof veteran Jim Abrahams; Mafia! is to The Godfather (1972) as Hot Shots! (1991) is to Top Gun (1986), a merciless p*ss take. The competent yet lacklustre Jay Mohr stars as Tony Cortino, an amalgam of Casino (1995) De Niro and Godfather Pacino, along with Christina 'don't call me Bundy' Applegate ostensibly filling Diane Keaton's shoes. Elder performers Olympia Dukakis and Lloyd Bridges get to suitably degrade themselves, in the late Bridges' case, for the last time, with roles as senior Cortino family members.

This being a spoof movie, large liberties are taken with the films it sends up. Probably the most successful instance comes in the form of a well executed imitation of the explosive Casino opening titles. Unfortunately, this of course comes right at the start of the film, and it's a peak not really matched in the following hour and a bit. The period switching device of The Godfather Part II (1974) is borrowed, allowing the freedom for some amusing asides, but badly breaking up the flow of the movie. The gags manage to keep up a reasonable pace, but often whither on the vine in the hands of performers unskilled in this brand of comedy. Mohr in particular would have served better with a more confident, energetic performance similar to the one he later would display in short lived, cult hit series Action (1999). Fans of the genre will notice some flatly recycled material and will probably miss the input of usual Abrahams collaborators the Zucker brothers.

Though Scorsese's Casino receives plenty of attention, it's superior predecessor Goodfellas (1990) remains inexplicably untapped. Clearly a wasted opportunity as the faster pace and contemporary tone of Scorsese's films lend themselves to parody far more readily than the austere mob epics of Coppola. Grasping cribs from Forrest Gump (1994) and Jurassic Park (1993) suggest Abrahams was struggling for material to pad out the relatively modest eighty odd minute running time. The diminishing returns are finally retired with a successful finale mirroring that of the much maligned Godfather Part III (1990).

Mafia! is a middling entry in a sub-genre that reached it's zenith with the sublime six half hours of Police Squad! (1982). Abrahams benefits greatly from his choice of such classic, strongly iconic films to make fun of. It's this that puts even the mediocre Mafia! way ahead of the facile ilk of Scary Movie (2000) and it's increasingly vulgar sequels. It's difficult to find humour in lampooning material that's already too lame to be taken seriously. Mafia! is a fairly safe bet to raise a chuckle or two from mob and spoof fans alike, but it's not up to the standard of either Hot Shots! instalment.
  • As with most recent movie parodies, Mafia! also fails to deliver anything but one or two chuckles (literally, and take one away if you haven't seen CASINO). No laughing out loud here, folks. To really experience a funny movie, rent THE NAKED GUN or go see THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT MARY. Those two will definitely deliver the goods.