User Reviews (1,174)

• MR_Heraclius6 March 2020
    Exactly the right movie at exactly the right time. The music and atmosphere, the sets and costume design, the special effects, the cast. Everything lined up perfectly for a young shaggy. That kid was a gothy nerd with love for video-games, horror, industrial music and Mila Jovovich. This movie managed to check all the boxes. Watching it now, it still pretty much holds up. Maybe a little cheesy but stylish and entertaining. 6 stars for watchability, one for nostalgia.
  • The video game movie genre gets the champagne treatment with this satisfying ZOMBIE sci-fi / horror flick...MILLA JOVOVICH is a sight for sore eyes as the heroine who with the help of a crack commando unit is going to take on a ZOMBIE invested lab deep beneath RACOON city..the UMBRELLA corp rules the tech world & its ruthless approach gets exposed when the dead get reanimated & want to feed...ALICE is confused by flashbacks as she tries to figure out how she ended up in this mess but she clearly has some hidden talents apart from the obvious kind...a bad ass role for MICHELLE RODRIGUEZ gives this movie feminine power & I say more power to them..decent story & special effects its not OSCAR worthy but its very enjoyable & mouth watering....recommended
  • I had to sift long and deep for a good comment on this. Why all the hostility? I think there was great chemistry on this production and it shows; the actors and crew involved loved the game and had a good time making this. This movie successfully recreated the feel of the game, and because it kept exposition to a minimum of what you needed to know for this particular story and didn't borrow from or revise any of the original characters or settings, it supported and strengthened the franchise. No story is retold here, no words are wasted, the setting, feel and pace is familiar to fans of Resident Evil and yet it's perfectly accessible to those unfamiliar with the broader storyline. Not giving the fan-boys their favorite characters was a good choice since characters tend to get mangled in adaptation, and yet the fan-boys still complain. With this film you have a good, watchable story that can partake of the Resident Evil cosmology, showing it due respect.

It did an excellent job establishing characters without too much unnecessary background, developing them just enough to make you want to know what they'll do next, to make you care before the sudden and gruesome happens to them. The acting was above par for a Resident Evil, certainly much better than the first game. The plot was no more comic bookish than any of the games. My one complaint was that the characters were too battle-trained, too slick, too good at fighting for them to be sympathetic horror subjects. This could've been balanced out with more reaction shots showing the soldiers wetting themselves. But Alice's over-the-top commando-style action made her too much of a super heroine to really make anyone concerned about her survival; characters made of Teflon make good action but apathetic horror subjects.
  • teslaman29 November 2007
    As a big fan of splatter and horror films i was gladly surprised when i watched this. I haven't played the game so i had no idea what to expect and had nothing to compare with. I really feel that this pays homage to the old zombie films at least to an extent. The zombies here are a little bit faster though.

It begins with a nice back story and then builds slowly in pace to a climactic frenzy. The effects are top notch, solid directing, a really imaginative and eerie production design and great acting.

Yes, i may be a little biased but i really like Milla Jovovich. I think this is the kind of role that fits her best, strong kick ass attitude with an odd personality wrapped in a seemingly fragile shell. Her performance here reminds me a bit of the character she played in "The fifth element" and also the character in the later "Ultraviolet" The other actors did a good job as well so she's not the only one to get credit although the movie revolves around her character. The child AI is a very nice and creepy addition to the atmosphere.

The RE theme could have ended up as a nice trilogy but the sequel unfortunately lacks nearly everything(except Milla) that this film delivers. Not that RE2 is a complete mess but nowhere near this. I haven't seen the third installment yet but even if that one holds true in quality to this one number two becomes the odd one out.

If you like zombie and action films you'll certainly like this one.
  • I wasn't waiting to see anything amazing when I started watching for this movie, since almost all the license movies have been terrible... Fortunately, my opinion was to change! Movie was great, actors were good enough, and there was actually a plot (whoa!). Director has done a great job by having that videogame atmosphere by use of light, but still keeping the movie tense. Marilyn Manson has also made a great job by composing some of his greatest soundtrack titles which really fit for this movie. I have played both Resident Evil and Resident Evil 2, and recognized many of the scenes which were kind of similar to games. What can I say? For the people who have played games, this one gives good vibes and they are going to love it. For regular people the movie might be above the average. This was one hell-of-a-movie, and I'm waiting for the sequel.
  • mbworm7 January 2008
    "Resident Evil" was a smart and scary game. The darkness and the surprises were huge scare factors. In that famous game, you find yourself trapped in a mansion crawling with the undead because of a mistake made by the Umbrella Corporation.

Director Paul W.S. Anderson makes a fast, dark guilty pleasure of a film from this game with "Resident Evil".

Milla Jovovich is Alice, who wakes up in a creepy, poorly lit mansion at night in a remote forest. She has no memory of who she is or why she's here, but after a group of soldiers bursts in and takes her to a hidden lab underneath the mansion with them, she quickly begins to realize a terrible secret. She and the others find themselves locked in "The Hive", an enormous, elaborate underground structure that was sealed by the supercomputer controlling it. It soon becomes evident that an experiment called "The T-Virus" escaped into the air and killed everyone. But nobody really stayed dead. Now the remaining survivors must fight their way back out of The Hive before the door seals permanently... and at the same time they must contain the virus before it reaches the surface.

The film moves at a breakneck pace, with some elaborate sets and great cinematography that sets the dark mood well for this atmospheric sci-fi thriller.
  • joelpape24 April 2020
    Really good opening to the series as a big resident evil gamer i like the fact that its not exactly like the games but takes a diffrent turn story wise. effects a little bit off but did a good job with most of it defo a good opening to the series.
  • Resident Evil 5 out of 5 stars.

Great action sequences. I am a huge fan of the game series. May not be the best adaptation. For a movie trying to be its own thing was great. The plot is a little slow. But it picks up. The laser hall scene was intense. The music score is awesome. The script and direction is fast moving. It ends in a cliffhanger for a sequel. The licker monster was awesome. The zombie dog scene with Alice facing against them was awesome. The cast is great.

Overall, Resident Evil is an awesome film that is loud, action packed, and entertaining.
  • Resident Evil is probably my favorite zombie movie next to Planet Terror. It had flaws, some acting was poor, but still was one great time from start to finish and excellently crafted entertainment!!!!! It had wonderful action, nice gore and the performances overall were exceedingly decent for what they needed to be for a video game adaptation. I especially love Michelle Rodriguez's portrayal of Pain; amazing character.

I first thought when I was watching this film that it was going to be an over-the-top gore movie with way to much blood and carnage, not so much as focusing on the main point of the story, but it turned out unimaginably well, for I thought it wasn't going to be that good at all, and the complexity and edgy scenes and screenplay surprised me. Milla Jovovich and Michelle Rodriguez acted wonderfully in this film and this was a great action\horror movie that I am extremely glad I was able to have seen, and will gladly see over and over again.
  • First things first, I really like "Resident Evil". While I can't comment on the success of the conversion to a movie as I've never played any of the numerous video games, the film is beautifully shot and has an urgent pace. It also has a great looking cast, a thumping soundtrack and plenty of boys' toys.

Milla Jovovich is stunning as the heroine, Alice. Whoever thought of casting Jovovich in this role deserves a bonus. Watching this beautiful star kick various forms of zombie butt while wearing a short red dress is a wonderful experience.

Anderson's movies may be accused of being style over substance but there's no doubting that "Shopping", "Event Horizon" and "Resident Evil" are fantastic examples of eye candy. Every shot is beautifully composed and the film has a high-budget sheen.

8 out of 10. Casio G-Shock fans will be in their element watching this movie.
  • All the talk of no females in movies but you have these and underworlds. Critics just slam them though rather then enjoy for what they are, ridiculous action/horror movies . That become more cheesy and 3d as they go along . Series even has enough of an ending. Love watching all these through and 3d copies are a bonus.
  • blackshooter-6306524 April 2020
    Resident Evil is so cool. Im a Fan. I can't complain. Those were the times. Mila is the perfect role for Alice. I liked the entire movie straight away. 10/10 *
  • So GORY and repulsive!!l mean it! This one frightens me to death,absolutely.And I enjoy it that way.It's one of the most thrilling Sci-fi films I've ever seen,though containing some terribly gory scenes.(some people were sliced into pieces by the dreadful lasers!)Needless to say,this one also involves some other elements that are a must for sci-fi films.The unbearably weird silence in the Hive,the drab zombies,disgusting monsters and the sudden mutation of human beings nearby.....all those keep jarring and pinching my nerves !I nearly cry out: OMG !!as if all these were just happening in front of me!!True to life... definitely. Also I have to say that the film may be a little hard to understand at first, yet you will finally find all the scenes and plots are carefully designed.No flaws!Perfect! For this classical thrilling film,i will give 10 stars.Really good.
  • A-Z Horror Movie of the Day..."Resident Evil" (R - 2002 - Blu)

Lang: Eng Sub-Genre: Monster/Zombie My Score: 7.2

Cast=6 Acting=7 Plot=9 Ending=8 Story=6 Scare=6 Jump=5 F/X=8 Monster=9 Gore=8

A special military unit fights a powerful, out-of-control supercomputer and hundreds of scientists who have mutated into flesh-eating creatures after a laboratory accident.

"I don't want to be one of those things...walking around without a soul." One of the biggest zombie franchises and just about the biggest franchise based from a video game...this is probably the one true horror movie of the group. I came into this as a fan of the game...but left a fan of Milla Jovovich. I would cut my arm off if I was bit, but I wouldn't cut it off to see this movie...you have to draw the line somewhere.
  • This movie means business. Quick disaster with a mystery to it, jarring deaths, naked Milla, all in the first few minutes. It keeps up the pace throughout. In terms of critical comments, yes, you don't really care about the characters, but so what? How often do you really care about the monster fodder in horror films? And true, it wasn't a literal working of the movie, it didn't take place in a mansion and it didn't involve exploring lots of rooms and solving puzzles. That's because it's a movie. A literal translation of Resident Evil would probably be really dull. Games and movies are very different mediums. I don't think some people here understand that. One guy said he thought the movie rocked but after repeated viewings he thought it sucked, and that's a video game player attitude - movies don't have to have good replay value, it's okay to enjoy them once. I only enjoyed Star Wars once, but I don't think it sucked, it just didn't have a lot of depth. Not every movie has to be Citizen Kane.

It was an engaging story, moved like lightning and had some excellent scares.
  • I was generally surprised that I liked this movie, not being a fan of either of it's stars. I decided to give the movie a try since it does deal with one of my favorite horror topics...zombies!

As a horror movie Resident Evil fails miserably, it's not scary and contains only small amounts of suspense. It is much better as an action film although much of the action is chaotic, accompanied by lame heavy metal/thrash music. But seeing as it is based on a video game and made primarily for teenage boy video game addicts it is quite good in and of itself.

The movie plays well, even though it is apparent that some scenes have been cut to achieve an R-rating. The characters do what they need to do in order to survive.

One small problem with the movie is the relative lack of zombie screen time. They do appear in two major scenes but most of the time the hallways are clear. This hive was supposed to employ thousands of people but you only ever see 100 zombies at the most. Also, the humans seem to be able to travel easily wherever they have to go until it is time for another action sequence. It would have been better if they constantly ran into single zombies which they were able to easily dispose of, but this is nit-picking on my part.

Overall I enjoyed the movie and I have never seen, let alone played, the video game. I'm not sure if this movie will have the staying power over multiple viewings for me (like Aliens) but it's a very good single viewing action picture. Easily the best movie I have seen based on a video game. Despite it's flaws Resident Evil rates a 7 out of 10, if taken more seriously this could have been a really good movie. It would have been nice to see a George Romero version.
  • I personally love resident evil. One of my favourite franchises ever don't understand why it's so low you either love it or hate it I suppose
    To be honest, the first time I saw this, I didn't care for it. It did not follow the story line of the game, and that made me very unhappy with this endeavor.

Upon realization that a video game is "dumbed down" for the players to be able to concentrate, however, I opted for a second viewing and came to realize that this was not the waste of time I first believed.

I was disappointed with how it played out because there were no cures along the way, they made little notice of records and files lying about, no matter how relevant they were or were not, and the sequence of things was not on par with that of the game. I realize that to do things that way would have severely hampered the flow of the movie itself and would have made it far less active. Considering this is first and foremost, an action movie (with horror elements), that would not be considered a good thing.

The truth is that Milla Jovovich contributes a very capable and entertaining presence and performance to this work. Her supporting cast (every one) gave nothing but the best they had. The story itself flows quite well and was creatively written and executed.

There is nothing wrong with this attempt. It just didn't live up to a fanboy's expectations. Unfortunately, that was their major principal audience; game fans, and that explains the lackluster box office payoff and the low IMDb user ratings for this attempt. The fanboys were disappointed; the casual fans casually attended this event; and the mainstream didn't understand the big deal, either way and so did not participate to a profitable level.

With the release of the second installment and all the advertisement and hype Apocalypse received, it drew the mainstream fans a bit harder; the casual fans were less casual; and the fanboys were still disappointed, but resigned to the fact that this was just how it was going to be; take it or leave it. We took it and, in retrospect, embraced the first attempt, as well.

It rates an 8.4/10 from...

the Fiend :.
  • This one's been in development for quite some time and I was disappointed when George Romero left the project.First off,the trailer for this movie made me sweat,because it wasn't very good.Thankfully the movie rocked.By far the best game-inspired flick to date and a heck of a good ride.All the way across the board:good acting,good f/x,awesome soundtrack and score(Marilyn Manson-who'd a thought),excellent production design and top-notch direction.All-in-all a very satisfying dark run through the bowls of the Unbrella corporation....Watch out for the Red Queen and bring on RE#2.Come Get Some(sorry Duke).ENJOY!
  • I saw this first in a theatre in 2002. It is a fast-paced, high octane zombie flick filled with brisk action sequences. Revisited it recently on a DVD. Seen all its sequels in theatre. The plot - A virus has been released inside a secret underground lab, turning its workers into zombies, a military task force is deployed to take care of the problem. The lab is filled with traps n packed with flesh-eating creatures n ferocious dogs. The film actually does an efficient job of recreating the ambiance of the video game. The initial office building chaos is great and there's a bit of nastiness involving an elevator scene. The film is famous for its laser defence system scene, the zombified dogs, awesome fight scene with the zombie doberman dogs n different creatures. It is also an adventure film in which the lead characters, especially Milla Jovovich always move forward without looking back. Another known face, Michelle Rodriguez is at her sexiest when wielding a weapon. Paul W.S. Anderson famous for action/horror/sci-fi films did a fine job with the direction.
  • Resident Evil is the first of six live action movies based upon the Japanese Biohazard video game franchise. The movie tells the story of a mysterious attack on an underground research facility known as The Hive that is owned by Umbrella Corporation. A specialized commando attempts to enter the vast complex and find out what has happened. Three amnesiacs who are found near the facility are captured by the the commando. The group soon realizes that the scientists have been murdered and that the research facility hides abominable secrets that put their lives in danger.

This movie has aged surprisingly well. The special effects look barely dated and convince with a gripping dystopian atmosphere. The locations are particularly intriguing as the entire movie takes place in a dark underground research facility and its immediate surroundings. The soundtrack underlines the film's atmosphere and comes around with sinister, liberating and gripping nu metal and alternative rock music. The story comes around with a few twists and turns. The characters are quite intriguing, especially enigmatic lead character Alice played by an excellent Milla Jovovich, tough police officer Rain Ocampo played by Michelle Rodriguez and the holograph played by Michaela Dicker who represents the facility's artificial intelligence known as the Red Queen. Resident Evil offers a balanced mixture of atmospheric and tense sequences and brutal and dynamic scenes. The combination of action, horror, mystery and science-fiction elements is also quite balanced.

In the end, Resident Evil is certainly one of the very best live action movies based upon a video game franchise. I initially watched this film as a teenager and liked it but I have recently been watching it again as an adult and have come to the conclusion that I like it even better today than I did back in the days. The movie is in the spirit of numerous horror and science-fiction movies of the late nineties and early years of the millennium such as Cube, Equilibirum and My Little Eye. If you like these films, you are going to adore Resident Evil. Make sure to check out the video games as well if you haven't done so already.
  • This film is well constructed. The sets, actors and action scenes are all top notch and the execution is terrific. Who could forget things like the zombie dogs and the laser hallway? The soundtrack is a banger which adds to the impact.
  • There is no Alice except Mira.That's great. All the actors
  • Altho not following the game in every aspect, which is a GOOD THING, it still manages to relate to the game in a lot of ways, all while keeping it's identity. Greatly chosen cast, all worth the while, with pretty solid visuals for the period of time, including CGI of course. Great costumes also by the way!
  • Entertaining movie based on a video-game. That's not an easy job.

They managed to create a compelling personal story for the main protagonist (Mila) and explained the context and plot very efficiently.

Once the action kicks in, the pace is great and the survival aspect mesh really well with the intriguing plot. The characters are thin, of course, but they work too, without annoying "comic-relief only" or "the defenseless".

I don't know, but I'm sure someone could find plot-holes, but overall, if they exist, you don't notice while watching this good video-game zombi movie.