User Reviews (1,204)

• MR_Heraclius6 March 2020
    Exactly the right movie at exactly the right time. The music and atmosphere, the sets and costume design, the special effects, the cast. Everything lined up perfectly for a young shaggy. That kid was a gothy nerd with love for video-games, horror, industrial music and Mila Jovovich. This movie managed to check all the boxes. Watching it now, it still pretty much holds up. Maybe a little cheesy but stylish and entertaining. 6 stars for watchability, one for nostalgia.
  • I had to sift long and deep for a good comment on this. Why all the hostility? I think there was great chemistry on this production and it shows; the actors and crew involved loved the game and had a good time making this. This movie successfully recreated the feel of the game, and because it kept exposition to a minimum of what you needed to know for this particular story and didn't borrow from or revise any of the original characters or settings, it supported and strengthened the franchise. No story is retold here, no words are wasted, the setting, feel and pace is familiar to fans of Resident Evil and yet it's perfectly accessible to those unfamiliar with the broader storyline. Not giving the fan-boys their favorite characters was a good choice since characters tend to get mangled in adaptation, and yet the fan-boys still complain. With this film you have a good, watchable story that can partake of the Resident Evil cosmology, showing it due respect.

It did an excellent job establishing characters without too much unnecessary background, developing them just enough to make you want to know what they'll do next, to make you care before the sudden and gruesome happens to them. The acting was above par for a Resident Evil, certainly much better than the first game. The plot was no more comic bookish than any of the games. My one complaint was that the characters were too battle-trained, too slick, too good at fighting for them to be sympathetic horror subjects. This could've been balanced out with more reaction shots showing the soldiers wetting themselves. But Alice's over-the-top commando-style action made her too much of a super heroine to really make anyone concerned about her survival; characters made of Teflon make good action but apathetic horror subjects.
  • I originally watched "Resident Evil" at a movie theater when it was first released in 2002. I hadn't played the games. There was no Rotten Tomatoes and I didn't read reviews back then so I went in blind. And I utterly enjoyed the movie: the story, the action sequences, the underground "Hive," Mila Jovovich and Michelle Rodriguez kicking serious ass, and more.

Panned by critics (36% RT) but liked by users (67% RT), Resident Evil was one of the first examples of how mainstream critics just don't "get" horror. Movies that try to be artsy get great reviews even as key elements fall flat for the rest of us. The recent "Beach House" is a perfect example of this -- it was loved by critics (81% RT) and panned by users (28%).

Unfortunately, the rest of the "Resident Evil" sequels except for a few moments, rarely captured that first movie's originality and allure. Instead, check out the writer/director's excellent previous outing "Event Horizon."
  • teslaman29 November 2007
    As a big fan of splatter and horror films i was gladly surprised when i watched this. I haven't played the game so i had no idea what to expect and had nothing to compare with. I really feel that this pays homage to the old zombie films at least to an extent. The zombies here are a little bit faster though.

It begins with a nice back story and then builds slowly in pace to a climactic frenzy. The effects are top notch, solid directing, a really imaginative and eerie production design and great acting.

Yes, i may be a little biased but i really like Milla Jovovich. I think this is the kind of role that fits her best, strong kick ass attitude with an odd personality wrapped in a seemingly fragile shell. Her performance here reminds me a bit of the character she played in "The fifth element" and also the character in the later "Ultraviolet" The other actors did a good job as well so she's not the only one to get credit although the movie revolves around her character. The child AI is a very nice and creepy addition to the atmosphere.

The RE theme could have ended up as a nice trilogy but the sequel unfortunately lacks nearly everything(except Milla) that this film delivers. Not that RE2 is a complete mess but nowhere near this. I haven't seen the third installment yet but even if that one holds true in quality to this one number two becomes the odd one out.

If you like zombie and action films you'll certainly like this one.
  • Resident Evil 5 out of 5 stars.

Great action sequences. I am a huge fan of the game series. May not be the best adaptation. For a movie trying to be its own thing was great. The plot is a little slow. But it picks up. The laser hall scene was intense. The music score is awesome. The script and direction is fast moving. It ends in a cliffhanger for a sequel. The licker monster was awesome. The zombie dog scene with Alice facing against them was awesome. The cast is great.

Overall, Resident Evil is an awesome film that is loud, action packed, and entertaining.
  • I wasn't waiting to see anything amazing when I started watching for this movie, since almost all the license movies have been terrible... Fortunately, my opinion was to change! Movie was great, actors were good enough, and there was actually a plot (whoa!). Director has done a great job by having that videogame atmosphere by use of light, but still keeping the movie tense. Marilyn Manson has also made a great job by composing some of his greatest soundtrack titles which really fit for this movie. I have played both Resident Evil and Resident Evil 2, and recognized many of the scenes which were kind of similar to games. What can I say? For the people who have played games, this one gives good vibes and they are going to love it. For regular people the movie might be above the average. This was one hell-of-a-movie, and I'm waiting for the sequel.
  • I know the series as a whole gets a lot of hate, but I believe this movie as an individual film is bloody brilliant! After nearly 20 years I couldn't remember a damn thing about it, so I had the joy of watching it for the "first" time all over again. It has intrigue, suspense, terror, action and mystery. I was prepared for a fun, silly, early 2000's cheesy action movie and was surprised to find much more than that. The only thing that loses it for me is the very dated cgi. You lose the terror in those scenes. Every time they cut back to practical effects it's much better.
  • So GORY and repulsive!!l mean it! This one frightens me to death,absolutely.And I enjoy it that way.It's one of the most thrilling Sci-fi films I've ever seen,though containing some terribly gory scenes.(some people were sliced into pieces by the dreadful lasers!)Needless to say,this one also involves some other elements that are a must for sci-fi films.The unbearably weird silence in the Hive,the drab zombies,disgusting monsters and the sudden mutation of human beings nearby.....all those keep jarring and pinching my nerves !I nearly cry out: OMG !!as if all these were just happening in front of me!!True to life... definitely. Also I have to say that the film may be a little hard to understand at first, yet you will finally find all the scenes and plots are carefully designed.No flaws!Perfect! For this classical thrilling film,i will give 10 stars.Really good.
  • I personally love resident evil. One of my favourite franchises ever don't understand why it's so low you either love it or hate it I suppose
  • mbworm7 January 2008
    "Resident Evil" was a smart and scary game. The darkness and the surprises were huge scare factors. In that famous game, you find yourself trapped in a mansion crawling with the undead because of a mistake made by the Umbrella Corporation.

Director Paul W.S. Anderson makes a fast, dark guilty pleasure of a film from this game with "Resident Evil".

Milla Jovovich is Alice, who wakes up in a creepy, poorly lit mansion at night in a remote forest. She has no memory of who she is or why she's here, but after a group of soldiers bursts in and takes her to a hidden lab underneath the mansion with them, she quickly begins to realize a terrible secret. She and the others find themselves locked in "The Hive", an enormous, elaborate underground structure that was sealed by the supercomputer controlling it. It soon becomes evident that an experiment called "The T-Virus" escaped into the air and killed everyone. But nobody really stayed dead. Now the remaining survivors must fight their way back out of The Hive before the door seals permanently... and at the same time they must contain the virus before it reaches the surface.

The film moves at a breakneck pace, with some elaborate sets and great cinematography that sets the dark mood well for this atmospheric sci-fi thriller.
  • All the talk of no females in movies but you have these and underworlds. Critics just slam them though rather then enjoy for what they are, ridiculous action/horror movies . That become more cheesy and 3d as they go along . Series even has enough of an ending. Love watching all these through and 3d copies are a bonus.

Update: I just bought the 4k collection and it looks and sounds amazing. Must have for fans and if you have an atmos sound system.
  • One of, if not the, greatest video game adaptations ever made. That went on to launch a kickass zombie franchise. The storyline is well developed and the CGI and cinematography are amazing for their age. Acting is decent and the characters are well cast. I mean Jovovich slays as Alice.
  • Resident Evil is probably my favorite zombie movie next to Planet Terror. It had flaws, some acting was poor, but still was one great time from start to finish and excellently crafted entertainment!!!!! It had wonderful action, nice gore and the performances overall were exceedingly decent for what they needed to be for a video game adaptation. I especially love Michelle Rodriguez's portrayal of Pain; amazing character.

I first thought when I was watching this film that it was going to be an over-the-top gore movie with way to much blood and carnage, not so much as focusing on the main point of the story, but it turned out unimaginably well, for I thought it wasn't going to be that good at all, and the complexity and edgy scenes and screenplay surprised me. Milla Jovovich and Michelle Rodriguez acted wonderfully in this film and this was a great action\horror movie that I am extremely glad I was able to have seen, and will gladly see over and over again.
  • A-Z Horror Movie of the Day..."Resident Evil" (R - 2002 - Blu)

Lang: Eng Sub-Genre: Monster/Zombie My Score: 7.2

Cast=6 Acting=7 Plot=9 Ending=8 Story=6 Scare=6 Jump=5 F/X=8 Monster=9 Gore=8

A special military unit fights a powerful, out-of-control supercomputer and hundreds of scientists who have mutated into flesh-eating creatures after a laboratory accident.

"I don't want to be one of those things...walking around without a soul." One of the biggest zombie franchises and just about the biggest franchise based from a video game...this is probably the one true horror movie of the group. I came into this as a fan of the game...but left a fan of Milla Jovovich. I would cut my arm off if I was bit, but I wouldn't cut it off to see this movie...you have to draw the line somewhere.
  • The video game movie genre gets the champagne treatment with this satisfying ZOMBIE sci-fi / horror flick...MILLA JOVOVICH is a sight for sore eyes as the heroine who with the help of a crack commando unit is going to take on a ZOMBIE invested lab deep beneath RACOON city..the UMBRELLA corp rules the tech world & its ruthless approach gets exposed when the dead get reanimated & want to feed...ALICE is confused by flashbacks as she tries to figure out how she ended up in this mess but she clearly has some hidden talents apart from the obvious kind...a bad ass role for MICHELLE RODRIGUEZ gives this movie feminine power & I say more power to them..decent story & special effects its not OSCAR worthy but its very enjoyable & mouth watering....recommended
  • First things first, I really like "Resident Evil". While I can't comment on the success of the conversion to a movie as I've never played any of the numerous video games, the film is beautifully shot and has an urgent pace. It also has a great looking cast, a thumping soundtrack and plenty of boys' toys.

Milla Jovovich is stunning as the heroine, Alice. Whoever thought of casting Jovovich in this role deserves a bonus. Watching this beautiful star kick various forms of zombie butt while wearing a short red dress is a wonderful experience.

Anderson's movies may be accused of being style over substance but there's no doubting that "Shopping", "Event Horizon" and "Resident Evil" are fantastic examples of eye candy. Every shot is beautifully composed and the film has a high-budget sheen.

8 out of 10. Casio G-Shock fans will be in their element watching this movie.
  • This movie means business. Quick disaster with a mystery to it, jarring deaths, naked Milla, all in the first few minutes. It keeps up the pace throughout. In terms of critical comments, yes, you don't really care about the characters, but so what? How often do you really care about the monster fodder in horror films? And true, it wasn't a literal working of the movie, it didn't take place in a mansion and it didn't involve exploring lots of rooms and solving puzzles. That's because it's a movie. A literal translation of Resident Evil would probably be really dull. Games and movies are very different mediums. I don't think some people here understand that. One guy said he thought the movie rocked but after repeated viewings he thought it sucked, and that's a video game player attitude - movies don't have to have good replay value, it's okay to enjoy them once. I only enjoyed Star Wars once, but I don't think it sucked, it just didn't have a lot of depth. Not every movie has to be Citizen Kane.

It was an engaging story, moved like lightning and had some excellent scares.
    To be honest, the first time I saw this, I didn't care for it. It did not follow the story line of the game, and that made me very unhappy with this endeavor.

Upon realization that a video game is "dumbed down" for the players to be able to concentrate, however, I opted for a second viewing and came to realize that this was not the waste of time I first believed.

I was disappointed with how it played out because there were no cures along the way, they made little notice of records and files lying about, no matter how relevant they were or were not, and the sequence of things was not on par with that of the game. I realize that to do things that way would have severely hampered the flow of the movie itself and would have made it far less active. Considering this is first and foremost, an action movie (with horror elements), that would not be considered a good thing.

The truth is that Milla Jovovich contributes a very capable and entertaining presence and performance to this work. Her supporting cast (every one) gave nothing but the best they had. The story itself flows quite well and was creatively written and executed.

There is nothing wrong with this attempt. It just didn't live up to a fanboy's expectations. Unfortunately, that was their major principal audience; game fans, and that explains the lackluster box office payoff and the low IMDb user ratings for this attempt. The fanboys were disappointed; the casual fans casually attended this event; and the mainstream didn't understand the big deal, either way and so did not participate to a profitable level.

With the release of the second installment and all the advertisement and hype Apocalypse received, it drew the mainstream fans a bit harder; the casual fans were less casual; and the fanboys were still disappointed, but resigned to the fact that this was just how it was going to be; take it or leave it. We took it and, in retrospect, embraced the first attempt, as well.

It rates an 8.4/10 from...

the Fiend :.
  • I saw this first in a theatre in 2002. It is a fast-paced, high octane zombie flick filled with brisk action sequences. Revisited it recently on a DVD. Seen all its sequels in theatre. The plot - A virus has been released inside a secret underground lab, turning its workers into zombies, a military task force is deployed to take care of the problem. The lab is filled with traps n packed with flesh-eating creatures n ferocious dogs. The film actually does an efficient job of recreating the ambiance of the video game. The initial office building chaos is great and there's a bit of nastiness involving an elevator scene. The film is famous for its laser defence system scene, the zombified dogs, awesome fight scene with the zombie doberman dogs n different creatures. It is also an adventure film in which the lead characters, especially Milla Jovovich always move forward without looking back. Another known face, Michelle Rodriguez is at her sexiest when wielding a weapon. Paul W.S. Anderson famous for action/horror/sci-fi films did a fine job with the direction.
  • I was generally surprised that I liked this movie, not being a fan of either of it's stars. I decided to give the movie a try since it does deal with one of my favorite horror topics...zombies!

As a horror movie Resident Evil fails miserably, it's not scary and contains only small amounts of suspense. It is much better as an action film although much of the action is chaotic, accompanied by lame heavy metal/thrash music. But seeing as it is based on a video game and made primarily for teenage boy video game addicts it is quite good in and of itself.

The movie plays well, even though it is apparent that some scenes have been cut to achieve an R-rating. The characters do what they need to do in order to survive.

One small problem with the movie is the relative lack of zombie screen time. They do appear in two major scenes but most of the time the hallways are clear. This hive was supposed to employ thousands of people but you only ever see 100 zombies at the most. Also, the humans seem to be able to travel easily wherever they have to go until it is time for another action sequence. It would have been better if they constantly ran into single zombies which they were able to easily dispose of, but this is nit-picking on my part.

Overall I enjoyed the movie and I have never seen, let alone played, the video game. I'm not sure if this movie will have the staying power over multiple viewings for me (like Aliens) but it's a very good single viewing action picture. Easily the best movie I have seen based on a video game. Despite it's flaws Resident Evil rates a 7 out of 10, if taken more seriously this could have been a really good movie. It would have been nice to see a George Romero version.
  • In the near future, the powerful Umbrella Corporation has a hidden research facility called The Hive underneath Raccoon City, where the scientists develop genetically engineered drugs for medical purpose and biological weapons. After stealing the lethal T-virus, a thief contaminates The Hive and the artificial intelligence Red Queen seals the Hive and kills all the staff and guinea pigs. A woman called Alice (Milla Jovovich) awakes naked in a bathroom of a mansion without memory and soon a commando led by a man called One (Colin Salmon) subdues her and another man called Matt (Eric Mabius), who claims to be a cop. Alice learns that she is a security guard with her partner Spence (James Purefoy) assigned to protect the entrance to The Hive and her memory will return in an undefined period since she was affected by a gas. The Red Queen had a malfunctioning five hours ago and had shut down the facility and killed everybody releasing a lethal gas. Now they need to shut down the Red Queen and restart her systems. They use an underground train to reach The Hive and the Red Queen asks then to leave the place. However Kaplan (Martin Crewes) disables the Red Queen opening the doors in The Hive. Soon the group learns that the staff has turned into zombies and now they are under siege of the zombies. Most of the commando dies and only Alice, Spence, Matt, Rain (Michelle Rodriguez) and Kaplan survive. Now they need to find a way to escape from The Hive since the system will shut down the exits in a short period. Who will survive?

"Resident Evil" is a great sci-fi action horror film by Paul W.S. Anderson. Milla Jovovich, Michelle Rodriguez and the rest of the cast have good performances and the non-stop action is engaging. The gloomy pessimist conclusion fits perfectly to the story. My vote is eight.

Title (Brazil): "Resident Evil: O Hóspede Maldito" ("Resident Evil: The Damned Guest")
  • Recently I saw the theatrical trailer for Resident Evil: Extinction and it occurred to me, I have never seen the first two Resident Evil films, and I always wanted to see them. So I rented the first two Resident Evil films and watched them last night. I had a lot of fun watching Resident Evil, it was very high action and kept my heart racing on what would happen next. This is a great movie based on a video game, this is the kind of movie that we need if we are talking about basing it on a video game. I haven't seen a good one since Mortal Kombat. The action and effects were so awesome not to mention that there are some very awesome scares in here. Very cool make up for the zombies; and the story was excellent.

A virus breaks out in a lab called the Hive where everyone is held in captivity and dies. All of a sudden we see a woman passed out in a shower, she has no idea who she is, she meets two other men who have no idea who they are, but they are taken by soldiers who take them underground to the Hive. There the three learn that they are fighters for this out break and that also they might be part of what happened. The main thing is that they control the Hive, but that gets more difficult when the virus has turned the people it killed into the living dead, zombies. The woman, Alice, turns into the leader and must find out why this happened and also how they can get out alive without contaminating the world.

Resident Evil was an awesome movie to watch and I would highly recommend this movie for anyone who loves action movies. If you loved Mortal Kombat I'm sure you'll love Resident Evil. There are so many great scenes, but my favorite was when Alice saw the evil dogs and they chased her throughout the lab, it was really scary but so awesome to watch. Well, you'll just have to see what I mean. Milla Jovovich was just a perfect choice for Alice, she is such a cool character and now I'm really looking forward to seeing Extinction.

• This one's been in development for quite some time and I was disappointed when George Romero left the project.First off,the trailer for this movie made me sweat,because it wasn't very good.Thankfully the movie rocked.By far the best game-inspired flick to date and a heck of a good ride.All the way across the board:good acting,good f/x,awesome soundtrack and score(Marilyn Manson-who'd a thought),excellent production design and top-notch direction.All-in-all a very satisfying dark run through the bowls of the Unbrella corporation....Watch out for the Red Queen and bring on RE#2.Come Get Some(sorry Duke).ENJOY!
  • Entertaining movie based on a video-game. That's not an easy job.

They managed to create a compelling personal story for the main protagonist (Mila) and explained the context and plot very efficiently.

Once the action kicks in, the pace is great and the survival aspect mesh really well with the intriguing plot. The characters are thin, of course, but they work too, without annoying "comic-relief only" or "the defenseless".

I don't know, but I'm sure someone could find plot-holes, but overall, if they exist, you don't notice while watching this good video-game zombi movie.
    I'm a big fan of horror, and I thought I would hate this film, as most adaptations from games tend to be b*llocks, but I found it very good. The story itself is quite meager, but hey, the Texas Chainsaw Massacre wasn't written by Tolstoj either. Action is good to very good, and tension is well kept throughout the film.

I'm not easily impressed by overwrought fighting or action scenes (e.g. The Matrix) but the scene in the hallway with the lasers is great.

Being fond of Romero's work, it was fun to see the zombies back in action. Especially the zombie-dogs (mutant, zombie, infected, whatever).

Don't expect grand insights, moving scenes on the subject of the human mind, or being moved to tears. This one is a roller-coaster, baby, nothing more, nothing less.

Hang on and enjoy the ride.