User Reviews (1,403)

• "X-Men" is a rare treat-- a blockbuster that lives up to its hype and a comic book adaptation that hits the mark.

Along with Tim Burton's "Batman", this stands head and shoulders above all other superhero movies. It's a genre that's usually synonymous with silly, campy, cartoonish crap, but Bryan Singer delivers a long-awaited exception to the rule. "X-Men" is smart, stylish, and very cool... one of the better sci fi/fantasy films of the last decade.

Of course, it helps to have good source material.

The X-Men comics, which originated in the 1960s, are more politically progressive and morally complex than older superhero stories such as "Superman" where the heroes are always right, and truth, justice, and the American Way always prevail. The series is a well-crafted parable about individuality and discrimination. The characters are mutants--struggling to find a place in a society that rejects them. Its primary villain, Magneto, isn't an evil lunatic-- he's a sympathetic character, a misguided revolutionary playing Huey Newton to Professor Xavier's Martin Luther King. The iconic character, Wolverine, is a beer-swilling anti-hero who cares little for ideals and fights only to protect himself and his loved ones. The female characters are as powerful and important as the men, rather than being mere love interests.

Rather than making just another flashy explosion-per-minute-special-effects-extravaganza, Singer practices the lost arts of character and plot development. As a result, the movie has a far greater depth than the average big budget summer flick. The acting is also quite good on the whole. Hugh Jackman, who plays Wolverine, is fantastic--a bona fide Clint Eastwood caliber badass. Some of the dialogue is fairly cheesy, but in the hands of Ian McKellan and Patrick Stewart it sounds quite convincing. (Stewart has made a career out of making lame dialogue sound cool.)

Hard-core fans of the comics have complained about the omission of several popular X-Men. This is silly. A movie that gave the background on every character in the comic books would be 6 hours long. There will be plenty of time to develop new characters in the forthcoming sequels. Fans have also complained about the casting of Anna Paquin as Rogue. I disagree. Rogue is unable to touch another human being without harming them--she would not realistically act like a confident, sassy warrior. Paquin did a tremendous job of conveying the fear and isolation that such a young woman would feel. She will undoubtedly grow into the part in future movies.

In the end, "X-Men" is a comic book movie. Superpowers are explained with silly pseudoscientific babble, the plot revolves around a fairly ridiculous take-over-the-world scheme, and names like "Magneto" are spoken with a straight face. Don't read all the glowing reviews and expect Citizen Kane. But don't underestimate "X-Men" either. It is an intelligent movie that people will enjoy whether or not they are familiar with the comic.
  • There's no doubt about it, X-Men is not a stereotypical "comic-book film". Whenever a movie is made that is based on comic books, there is always a fear that it can and will be typically pigeonholed into the "comic book film" genre and that the movie is basically made for the fans of that comic book. Comic-book films are usually unrealistic and unappealing to the general audience.

Bryan Singer, however, did a wonderful job at making X-Men a movie that will not only overjoy the fans of the comic book, but also the general movie-goer as well. The movie is grounded, without the flighty unrealism of comic book material, and it delivers a message about prejudice that has always been what X-Men were about: fighting for a world that hates them.

The performances are outstanding, especially Hugh Jackman who, in my opinion, did a dead-on Wolverine, and Patrick Stewart, who never failed to show the peace and self-control that Professor Charles Xavier always strove to maintain.

Aside the characters, the plot was original (I couldn't tell you what was going to happen in the end by the middle of the movie) and most importantly: the world was REAL. The only suspension of disbelief that is required is the assumption that these genetic mutations can happen, and did, causing these extraordinary people. Honestly, I was a little disappointed that the colorful high-flare costumes were omitted, but I instantly forgave Singer when I realized why. It was simply to add to the realism.

All in all, X-Men was excellent. If you're a fan of the comic book series as I was, then you'll endlessly enjoy seeing these characters come to life. And if you've never been exposed to the comic book, this movie will give you an entertaining way to be exposed to its message about fear, hatred, and prejudice.
  • odradek-413 July 2000
    A tale of super-evolved mutants in a struggle against human oppressors, X-Men is an instant sci-fi classic, combining impressive special effects with an involving plot to create a truly memorable cinematic experience.

Lacking the tongue-in-cheek camp of the later Batman films and other recent comic books-turned movies, X-Men draws the audience into its world of mutants and superpowers, and prevents it from becoming tacky or absurd. Not to say that there isn't any humour in the film, in fact it delivers some of the best one liners in a film this year.

It is a rare thing for an action blockbuster to feature great acting, but with a cast that among others involves both Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen is bound to be above average. Both Stewart (as Professor Charles Xavier) and McKellen (as Magneto)deliver stellar performances, and their onscreen chemistry is compelling as they play two old friends turned arch enemies.

The rest of the cast deliver solid performances, including Hollywood newcomer Hugh Jackman as Wolverine, Oscar-winner Anna Paquin as Rogue, and another rising star Rebecca Romijn-Stamos as the seductive but deadly Mystique.

A classic tale of good versus evil, with heroes, baddies, and great special effects, I don't think it's going too far to say that X-Men is destined to be mentioned in the same breath as Star Wars and other all-time sci-fi greats.
  • If this film had been given to the wrong director it could have been incredibly cheesy. Being a reader of the comics I know that there are a few things that works on the page of a comic book but not in a film and let me say that the costumes is one of these things that in all probability wouldn't work. Singer chose to go with black leather outfits and I, for one, am very thankful for this choice. There are many things in this film that works but unfortunately there are a few things as well that prevent the film from being truly great.

Lets start with the things that work. Acting wise the film is very good. This is above all attributed to some excellent casting. Hugh Jackman is simply perfect as Wolverine and brings out the duality of the character in a very satisfactory manner. Also the scenes were we see a glimpse of the rage in the character work remarkably well. The only thing that could be said about him is that he is too tall but it seems most people, including myself, have accepted this fact. I think also that it was a wise choice to let a relatively unknown actor play the part because in that way we have no preconceived notions about him. As for Professor X no other man than Patrick Stewart could/should play him. Stewart simply becomes Xavier both in presence, voice and looks. An example of perfect casting. Ian McKellen is brilliant as Magneto and succeeds in creating a human villain rather than the usual cliché like villains we see in Hollywood productions. The acting aside from the ones mentioned above is pretty good. Not spectacular but good. The only one who does not look and act like the character we know from the comics is Anna Paquin who plays Rogue. The character is nothing like in the comics and Paquin's performance doesn't help the character.

When it comes to music and sound effects in general the film is a notch above average. The musical score has a very grand, even epic, feel to it and this suits the film very well. The score is not as memorable as the score from Batman (1989) but it is very adequate. As for the general sound effects they are both very fitting and believable adding to the overall credibility of the film which is considerable. The sound Wolverine's claws make when they come out is exactly as I imagined it. Very well done. The effects in general are also very well made. Not as good as in Spider-Man but still very good. A lot of care has been taken to make the effects seem as believable as possible and from where I'm standing they work. The only character whose powers I did not fully believe in was Toad's. Ray Park is an excellent athlete but many of his stunts look like obvious wire work. This is a pretty general complaint I have as some of the action look rehearsed. There is, however, some interesting action scenes and overall the action is acceptable.

The story is pretty well written and the dialog is both witty and sharp. Especially much of the dialog between Wolverine and Cyclops (James Marsden) is very entertaining and true to the comic books. Where I feel the story is lacking is in the climax which I am afraid to say is a little silly. Magneto's plan for world domination is actually pretty stupid when you think about it and that is a shame because much of the exposition is very well done. Generally, however, the first film is all about setting the stage for the films to come and it does do that in a satisfactory manner.

All in all X-Men is definitely one of the better super hero movies out there and although it was surpassed by the sequel it still stands as a true testament to Singer's skill.

• With so many movies out right now that are designed solely for entertainment puposes--from "Gone in 60 seconds" to "MI-2" to "Scary Movie"--it is promising to sit through a 90-minute film based on a comic-book that actually gives you an opportunity to think and be challenged.

Bryan Singer's "X-men: The Movie" is nothing more than an introduction to the lives of the characters from the comic book. The very fact that his movie doesn't try to add new elements, or change elements that already existed within the comic, is what makes it so successful.

X-men the comic series has been around for more than 30 years. And for good reason. It has dealt with all of the important elements that good storytelling includes--rejection, loneliness, hope, fear, distrust, love, selfishness, power, and the price you pay for doing what you believe is right. By consistently exploring various difficult elements of humanity, the X-men comic has been able to be not only entertaining but stimulating as well.

Thankfully, Singer's movie translation is no exception. "X-men" is very well executed, with excellent character work for the leads (Logan, Rogue, Magneto and Xavier), a good exploration of the motives of each character, and dialogue that is sharp and intelligent. However, lest you think X-men is only intellectual, let me assure you that the special-effects department has done an incredible job of mingling the human elements of the story with action. From Wolverine's claws to Rogue's devasating touch, from Storm's namesake displays of nature to Magneto's awesome power, "X-men" constantly finds new and arresting ways of showing-off each mutants power. And the closer you get to the end, the more exciting it is.

True, the movie was not perfect. Certain story elements were modified slightly for big-screen adaptation (nothing, however, that is disloyal to the ethic of the series). The soundtrack was only sufficient, rather than being something truly memorable. And not all of the characters were given equal time on screen (some important characters were completely missing).

But for a 90 minute movie that needs an action plot, it's obviously impossible to give all the X-men (and their evil counterparts) equal attention or character development. In fact, the sheer scale of the series alone all but requires a sequel to flesh out what was missing in this first, "Intro to X-men" movie.

Yet, as a beginning exploration of the "X-men" universe, this movie shines. It is attractive, fun and meaningful. Whether you're an X-men fan, you're looking for something that will make you think, you want an action movie, you enjoy sci-fi, or you just want to leave the theater feeling like you didn't just waste a couple of hours and seven bucks, go see Bryan Singer's "X-men." You won't be disappointed.
  • The answer to that question can be found in this movie with a resounding YES. Being a fan of X-Men comics and cartoons, I watched this movie with great skepticism. It was wonderful how the characters remained true to the comics.

The special powers that our mutant heros and villains possess are displayed exceptionally. It made me wish that I could have a special power of my own.

Enough can not be said of the phenomenal cast of actors that were selected for their roles. Not only did they fit their parts perfectly, but they made you believe. Bravo to Patrick Stewart, Hugh Jackman, Ian McKellen and a host of actors who were lucky enough to take part in this adventure.

Bryan Singer does a fantastic job of bringing it all together. The special effects in this movie, only enhance the great script and acting. After seeing the DVD with the outtakes, the editing was quite effective.

The true battle of good versus evil can always make for a great story but when a comic book is adapted to film and you feel that what you see is really possible, it is a true stroke of genius.
  • The film version of Stan Lee and Jack "The King" Kirby's best-selling comic book creation, X-Men, has finally succeeded where more than twenty years of four-color, superhero movies have failed. They have finally got it right...

It is a stunning cinematic experience, faithfully adapting nearly 40 years of continuity into a stream-lined, fast-paced, wonderfully exciting trip into the legendary Marvel Universe. X-Men features incredible portrayals of much of the classic mutant cast, especially virtual unknown (at least here in the States) Hugh Jackman as Logan, the Canadian wildman we all know and love as Wolverine. Jackman seems born to play this coveted role with every bit of gruff and grim gusto; his Wolverine looks as if he simply stepped off one of Chris Claremont and John Byrne's exquisitely crafted pages. The rest of the cast was also pleasantly well-casted and well-suited for their roles, including the handsomely chisled James Marsden as the stoic field commander Cyclops and the gorgeous Anna Paquin as the can-never-touch-but-wish-we-all-could Rogue. Famke Janssen and Halle Berry are beautiful and bold as Jean Grey and Storm, respectively, not just appearing as fleeting shards of eye candy, but actually adding depth and strength to the flow of the film. Patrick Stewart's excellent Professor Charles Xavier is in fine Stewart fashion, extrapolating on his Jean-Luc Picard character, and adding genuine compassion and warmth.

Ian McKellan is superb as the tortured master of magnetism, Magneto, playing the part with malicious glee, tempered with an extreme form of jingoism for his cause of the militant uprising of mutants over "normal" people. His Brotherhood of (Evil) Mutants is composed of Sabretooth, viciously and animalistically portrayed Tyler Mane, The Phanton Menace's Ray Park is the wickedly amusing Toad, and the stunning Rebecca Romaijn-Stamos is the shape-shifter Mystique. Park actually had the most to say of Magneto's henchmen, but it was appropriate as these three comprise an awesomely evil team of muscle and not philosophy like their leader.

The productions values were spectacular, as were the settings, taking us from a stark, malign concentration camp in Poland to the wilds of the Canadian north to the serenity of Westchester, New York to a mind-bending climax on Liberty Island. The action sequences were well-paced and action-packed, and much more smoother and better choreographed than any of the Batman films. The special effects, especially Wolverine's legendary adamantium claws, were truly awe-inspiring.

X-Men was meticulously directed by Bryan Singer, who along with 20th Century Fox, actually listened to and cared about what X-Fans thought and wished to see on screen. Although we would have all liked to have stayed in that theater for another 95 minutes, there are many more stories to tell, and God willing, Fox will let it happen.

Most importantly, X-Men finally gives Marvel Entertainment Group a firm footing on film, a foundation that was never fully in its grasp until the surprise hit of two years ago, Blade. Now that Marvel has discovered that it can succeed with its top-tier characters, the sky is truly the limit for its varied cast of great characters. I hope that Warner Bros. will sit up and take notice at what X-Men has accomplished. Maybe this will be a wake-up call to those studio executives in charge of Superman and Batman, and make them realize that the fans' input really does count in the end...

Highest recommendation!
  • "X-men" is a well done sci-fi action film for all action fans: especially for those who as kids dreamed of having special powers themselves. Each of the main mutant characters has a special ability and during the film I sometimes found myself thinking about which of those abilities I would choose if I were given the chance. Of course all of those special abilities are visible in the film's spectacular special effects. But the special effects were not the only thing that made watching this film fun. There is also plenty of action and character interaction besides shooting and beating and using special powers. As each mutant character is given a past (to give him a motivation) and a weakness, the film's plot never got boring because I also wanted to know how things developed between the mutants themselves.

And I won't even talk about the ending. It actually surprised me. But go see for yourself
  • I've always been a fan of the X-Men, since the Animated Series aired (I'd never really read any of the comics though... ^_^). So when I heard they were making a movie about them, I was counting the days until it was released. Maybe that affected how I viewed the movie, but I was a bit disappointed. Director Brian Singer (Usual Suspects) did a good job with what he's got... the multiple characters, etc. The whole project seems a bit "safe," though, as if the producers wanted to make sure this big production didn't flop. It's a good movie, but not a great one. Fans of the X-Men might be especially disappointed if their favorite characters do not include either Wolverine or Rogue. Mine personally is Cyclops, but he had a minor role. James Marsden, who played Cyclops, was a bit on the stiff side, but I forgive him because I like him as an actor. On that note, all the actors did an excellent job, especially Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan, as the forces of good and evil. It brought an endearing humanistic side to a story I had thought was dominated by sci-fi. If you're an X-Men fan, I would definitely recommend this film--but you probably have already seen it! What X-Men fan would miss out? If you're not a fan, maybe this movie can be a starting point for a new obsession... :o)
    Tibetan Buddhist teacher Robert Thurman writes in Inner Revolution: "In karmic evolution, the successful actions that lead to positive evolutionary mutations such as a human life are those of generosity, morality, tolerance, enterprise, concentration, and intelligence. Their opposites - stinginess, injustice, anger, laziness, distraction, and ignorance - are unsuccessful actions, which lead to negative evolutionary mutations that take you down the chain through animal incarnations." We got to thinking about this when we realized that the mutants in the sci-fi thriller X-Men are of two types: the generous, moral, and intelligent ones, and the animal-like ones acting out of revenge and anger. The message is clear: evolution can go toward the good or the bad, and there will always be a battle between the two possibilities.

X-Men, with stories revolving around the activities of a group of mutant superheroes, has been a phenomenally successful franchise for Marvel Comics. Now director Bryan Singer (The Usual Suspects) and screenplay writer David Hayter have adapted this series for the screen. The movie exposes the battle going on for America's soul. In doing so, it goes right to the heart of the country's shadow - our continuing inability to deal with those who are different from us, either by race, ethnic heritage, sexual preference, or generation. The story taps into the reservoir of feelings we have about diversity, tolerance, and exclusivity. And, let's admit it, all of us, at one time or another, have felt like a mutant outsider different from the "norms" of society and cut off from the "in" crowd.

U.S. Senator Robert Kelly (Bruce Davison) has a cause. There are mutants living in American communities, and nobody knows how and where they might use their strange and strong powers. He wants to protect human citizens by passing legislation to require them to register with the government. Indeed, even mutants with the best intentions can't always control their impact on others. When Rogue (Anna Paquin), a Mississippi teenager kisses her boyfriend for the first time, he ends up in a coma for three weeks. She can absorb the energy and memories of anyone she touches.

Fleeing to Alaska, Rogue meets Wolverine (Hugh Jackman), another mutant who has amazing healing powers, which come in handy when his retractable adamantium claws inadvertently inflict damage. These two "freaks" as the locals call them eventually team up and find their way to Professor Charles Xavier (Patrick Stewart), the world's most potent telepath who has started a school for "gifted students" - a.k.a. mutants. His key assistants are Jean Grey (Famke Janssen) who has telekinetic and telepathic skills, Cyclops (James Marsden) whose eyes release energy blasts, and Storm (Halle Berry) who can manipulate weather disturbances.

Not only must these X-Men fight the forces of bigotry and repression afoot in America, they must square off against Magneto (Ian McKellen), a mutant who has survived the Holocaust and now believes that a war with the humans is inevitable. He concocts a plan to turn the world's leaders into mutants at a special U.N. gathering on Ellis Island. The X-Men come to the rescue and must contend with his evil team consisting of Sabretooth (Tyler Mane), a beast-like warrior; Mystique (Rebecca Romijn-Stamos), a metamorph; and Toad (Ray Park), a high-jumping monster with a ten-foot tongue.

Thanks to its thematic riches, X-Men is far more interesting than the Batman superhero flicks. Most fascinating is the love/hate relationship between the peaceful Professor Xavier and the power-hungry Magneto. In the last scene of the film, they play a game of chess in a prison holding Magneto. We all know that the mutant villain has not made his last move.
  • Special-effects and terrific 5.1 surround sound are the highlights of this science fiction film. And what highlights they are - tremendous in both categories, at least for 2000 when this film and DVD came out. At the time, they were the best special-effects I had ever seen, but strides are being made so fast in that category that every few years we movie fans are stunned at something new we see. Audio-wise, the rear speakers come into to play as well as any movie I've heard.

As for story, once the beginning plugs for evolution and political correctness are over with, it is a simple good guys-trying-to-get-the-bad guys fare. It's pure escapist fun made so with tons of sci-fi effects. The characters aren't particularly involving, either the "good guys" or the "bad guys." The two leads, played by Hugh Jackman and Anna Paquin, should have been, but weren't. Jackman's "Logan/ Wolverine" always seemed to be pouting and angry, but I guess he's a favorite of females.

For me and most males, Rebecca Romjin-Stamos was a treat for the eyes. Her outfit was something to behold.

If profanity bothers you, the film was treat in that department, too, as there was very little. Obviously, this film was popular enough to spawn not only a sequel but more in the making.
  • It is a great challenge to make the first episode of a superhero series, why? You have the pressure of making it believable, entertaining, dramatic, exciting, you know what...

Bryan Singer, hands down, he is a great director, x-men is a hit, and without the action sequences you would expect from a movie of this kind, he keeps your full attention, but not for long enough.

The minutes fly by and suddenly you will find yourself hoping for something exciting to happen, and it will, but by that the movie has reached almost its conclusion.

Good thing that there is a sequel, that it works very good thanks to this first act, not a bad thing, right??? 8 out of 10.
  • How is this a good movie? Maybe if you were into the comic books, a movie of it would seem like a cool thing, and then you just don't want to admit that the movie is pretty bad. It was not an engaging story at all after they left Poland in the beginning. You kept expecting something that would to grab your attention, but it never came. The ending was pretty lame, and it seemed like the last 3rd of the movie was just setting up for the sequel. I never really understood what the story was. I was expecting much better things. Too bad for Bryan Singer after doing two very good movies (or at least one very good, then one not-quite-as-good)
  • RJC-416 July 2000
    Was "The Usual Suspects" a fluke? Bryan Singer turns in a decidedly B-movie job directing this flat, predictable comics adaptation. It's almost too faithful to its original medium, with 2-d performances from all the principals except for Hugh Jackman (as the grouchy Wolverine, he displays the closest thing to personality among these cardboard cut-outs). Patrick Stewart is lifeless. Ian McKellen, who was believably dark in Singer's "Apt Pupil," here only looks very drowsy. And the X-Men themselves look like the cast of "Dawson's Creek" in drag.

This film has endless problems. The action sequences, and in particular the climactic battle in and on the Statue of Liberty, look terribly staged: just as on the comics page, the characters halt to strike dramatic poses, or dotingly brandish their "super powers" (one of them, hilariously, even utters at one point: "Storm, use your power!"). It simply doesn't work any more than if Singer had put speech bubbles above the characters' heads. Compare these silly little fights to the superb sequences in Jet Li's "Black Mask," (1996), a film shot for a fraction of this one's budget but obviously with much greater talent and vision.

For a comic with a rich graphical past, the movie's art direction delivers a strangely bland, sterile look, both for Professor X's school and for the Liberty set. Both look low-budget, but neither is quite as bad as the villain's secret seaside hideout, which Singer shot in such darkness that nary a detail can be seen.

Oddly, "X-Men" looks like two different movies. The first 15 minutes are lavishly designed and shot, from the opening flashback of Jews herded into a concentration camp to the discovery of a Wolverine slumming in a moody northern logging camp. Then, abruptly, the flair is gone, and for the remaining 90 minutes we get a film that looks like one of the Star Trek TV franchise vehicles. (Except for Storm's look: it's pure Penthouse Magazine, ca. 1975, with Halle Barry's vapid expression rounding out the bill.) The villains are half-comically done, but even that is a blunder by Singer -- we don't really get any comic relief from them, and we can hardly worry too much about the X-men if they're beset by the likes of a villain called Toad, and even less when they remind us of the far wittier and better-looking send-up of all this nonsense, last year's "Mystery Men."

Apart from the inanities, there is also a true sin: it's unforgivably trite when a pulp fiction like this one hijacks the Holocaust to inflate its meagre storyline and insincere theme. "X-Men" isn't really an allegory of genocide, or even merely of racism. That stuff is just tacked on to what is really an exercise in big fights and big boobs -- the old Marvel formula. Fights and boobs aren't bad in their own right, but they're done much better elsewhere without the pretensions to social justice.
    This first movie about the X MEN is my favorite of all the trilogy, and the only one I was really excited to watch and I really liked of them all. There is not a better Wolverine then Hugh Jackman, and I cannot imagine Dougray Scott , who was the first choice to play Logan, in Hugh's place. Patrick Stewart and James Marsden have both a big resemblance with the characters they play as well.

After watching all the X men movies, only now I noticed that Halle Berry was using an accent to play Storm in this first movie. It's a sad thing that so many famous mutants in the comics, like Jubilee, Shadowcat, Colossus; Iceman and Pyro only have a small participation in it. Another sad thing is to see Rogue as a frightened kid,instead of the sexy and strong woman she is in the comics. Instead of Gambit, Rogue's true romantic partner in the comics, in this movie she has a interest in Wolverine.

The movie was directed by Bryan Singer and explores the ideas of prejudice and discrimination in the world, specially United States.
  • Sherazade13 March 2006
    This film was awesome! It's the first installment in a series of adaptations from the classic comics to bring the beloved comic heroes to life and the director achieves this with such cinematic kudos! The film begins with the character Wolverine (played by Hugh Jackman) struggling to come to terms with what he truly is, but not for long we start getting introduced to the other characters as well, at least the ones who haven't checked themselves into the Xavier school for the gifted yet. We are introduced to a young Rogue (played by Anna Paquin) who is so frightened by her special powers and what it does to the people around her that she runs away from home. Sooner than later, she meets up with Wolverine (actually she hides in the back of his truck) and he inadvertently allows her to tag along with him. The chemistry between the two is blazing but weird since Anna is so young and Hugh is very much older. Along the way, they are attacked by Sabretooth and now know that it is imperative that they find the Xavier school which they eventually do. While there the meet a slew of gifted X-men and team up with Professor Xavier (played by Patrick Stewart) to help stop the evil Magnetto (Played by Sir Ian Mckellen).
  • I've never heard of this comic before and I hate comics in general, but I enjoyed this movie. I think some people are losing it a little with their big wraps of "X-Men" though. It can surely only be described as a good fun movie that's not to be taken very seriously. Still Hugh Jackman was awesome and it managed to entertain me, and that's all I was after.
  • When this movie came out, comic book movies were down on their @$$es. The last big comic book movie until then was "Batman and Robin", so basically: the genre was dead and killed. It was no other movie than X-Men that re-ignited the genre and proved that a comic fantasy world does not have to be corny, goofy and cheesy at all.

Bryan Singer created a suspenseful story, in which the characters had to deal with being different - and the conflict that rises from bigotry.

"In the not too distant future", Prof. Charles Xavier has a school for so-called mutants: people who are different. Generally, these mutants possess abilities that normal people do not have - which causes fear and hate in the hearts of the American people. Hence, Senator Robert Kelly proposes a law that calls for mutants to register themselves. Xaviers frenemy, Erik "Magneto" Lensherr, is appalled by this law and plots to spread mutancy among world leaders at a UN summit. Xavier's X-Men Cyclops, Storm and Jean Grey struggle to stop Magneto. In the middle of these conflicts runaway mutants Rogue and Wolverine take refuge at the Xavier School for Gifted Youngsters...

It's a brilliant movie, with tons of easter eggs and nods to the fans. While not lacking action or fantastic elements, the movie plays the brain card. It is clever, slightly dark. Remember how recently, the second installment of Captain America (The Winter Soldier) was described as a political thriller? Well, X-Men did it first.

But what really excels X-Men is how it captures the emotional impact of being different. How the daily struggle of minorities is portrayed through the metaphor of Mutancy. It is what sets X-Men apart from other super hero / comic book movies; it is their Trump Card. Therefor, it's a shame that this element is being shoved more and more to the background as the X-Movie franchise expands. I hope in the future, they will look back at this first one from time to time, if only to remember what the "X-Gene" of this series is.

All in all, X-Men brought back comic book movies. It did for the genre what Star Wars (A New Hope) did for Space Movies. So, maybe there are comic book movies you enjoy more than this... they would not be here if it wasn't for the X-Men and their first movie. I have never granted a 10/10 to a movie before, but this one deserves it.
  • It's very rare for a movie to live up to the claims made about it by publicity and in articles prior to its release; even GOOD movies often fall short. But by George X-MEN does deliver the goods right down the line. It's made in a straightforward, basically realistic style, with superpowers taken for granted and, thankfully, not >explained<. If this isn't our world, it's the one next door. I loved the first Tim Burton BATMAN, but it takes place in its own dark universe; the Richard Donner SUPERMAN (and Donner was involved in X-MEN, too) has some problems, but its big, sweeping, almost pastoral approach was just right. Singer does X-MEN differently, but just as legitimately. It's one of the best super-hero movies ever made, and the best big-studio movie this year -- easily.

Just as they said they'd do, the movie concentrates on the characters and their relationships to the degree that the superhero stuff, of which there is plenty, seems almost secondary to the story which, in this first entry, is mainly about Wolverine and Rogue. I was very disappointed in APT PUPIL; Singer misjudged that one, so I was unsure as to what to expect with X-MEN. Would it be more like USUAL SUSPECTS or more like APT PUPIL? It turns out to be MUCH more like USUAL SUSPECTS, at least in terms of quality.

And you get to see the X-Men turn into a team before your eyes. Very satisfying movie.
    This film does a very good job of setting the scene it introduces mutants a sect of humanity hated and feared by the rest. we see rogue a young runaway who happens upon a another mutant a gruff unsociable cage fighter named Logan.A dude with amnesia and retractable metal claws. We meet senator Kelly a political opportunist using the "Mutant threat" to further his own career.He puts me in mind of McCarthy,with his belligerent and combative interviews in a senate committee of mutant affairs.He grandstands and scaremongers with the best of them.All the while pushing his Mutant control bill.A law that will force all mutants to register with the government. Meanwhile there's Erik Lensherr a survivor of the holocaust and mutant with extraordinary powers.Having seen man's ability to be inhumane first hand he believes mutants should strike first while humans are weak and divided on the issue. His old school friend takes the polar opposite view and teaches his students to learn to live with their powers for the benefit of all humans.Professor Charles Xavier and his students the X men soon come into conflict with Lensherr. The stage is set for a war of ideology based on racial grounds. Erik with every reason to hate humans launches his attack to preserve his kind.Xavier on the other hand has a more precarious moral position. He risks his X men's lives to defeat his own kind and defend the very humans that would love to get rid of them. A complex moral minefield and a great film

Shame then that the sequels were such utter dross

no wonder Bryan singer walked away
    X-Men surprised me with its intelligence, marvelous direction, and wonderful characters.

A startlingly fun movie to watch, X-Men is one of the better comic book adaptations out there. In fact, I'd say it was the best one made until Spider-Man came out. Even then, it's a close call. X-Men does really well with balancing the terrific number of characters it features on screen. I think this is the movie's best aspect. It gives us a lot of depth to every character on screen. Including Wolverine, who I was not pleased with when I saw X-Men Origins: Wolverine. It's a little ironic that there was more depth given to Wolverine in a film that was not strictly about Wolverine than the "character study" film did that was supposed to be solely about Wolverine. I started to feel an interesting connection to this character. This is incredibly important because this is the first time I had ever thought much of anything for Wolverine, including in other films, TV shows, and comic books. Excellent development.

I was even more impressed with some of the side characters, like Rogue. Rogue was portrayed beautifully by Anna Paquin. I was unprepared for the level of intensity that this young actress was able to bring to the table with her character. She seemed frail, but independent. Strong and weak at the same time. And there was so much emotional strength given to her that by the time we got to the climactic battle, I was genuinely concerned for her. I also really loved the friendship that was played out between her and Wolverine. It was done extremely well and the two shared some really impressive scenes.

Cyclops, Storm, and Jean Grey were a little underplayed, but I was still satisfied with the level of character development that we still got from them. I was able to take all these characters seriously and I was able to follow each of their own inner struggles in a way that, again, I had not anticipated.

Ian McKellen was yet another surprise for me as Magneto. I had never held much stock in the villain, believing him to be nothing particularly special. And when I saw the old man who was to play him, I couldn't hold back my scoff. But the surprises kept coming through and I couldn't help but love this guy's performance. He plays the villain Magneto very well, giving a powerful and poignant performance. That's nothing to scoff at.

And while I am talking about the actors and characters, I cannot forget Patrick Stewart who played Professor Xavier. I think this was the best performance in the film. Patrick Stewart really brought this character to life, giving the audience an incredibly powerful performance. There was a scene when he was talking to Wolverine and Cyclops and I suddenly realized I was leaning forward in my chair to hang onto every word this guy had to say. A brilliant and underrated performance.

Then there were the incredible visuals in this story. Whether they were all CGI or not I did not know and neither did I care. This film was still made before everything had gone to such gargantuan lengths in the computers and I could tell the effort that was put into the visuals. And they looked really darn good.

But what impressed me still more than anything else about X-Men was the direction. This film was directed by Bryan Singer, and he gives the audience some really intense direction. I was blown away by the cinematography among everything else. Singer is a wonderful director. I haven't seen any of his other films, but I want to now.

X-Men is an entertaining and--above everything else--fun ride that is sure to grasp comic book fans and non-comic book fans alike.

• Ziya907 February 2010
    Unbelievably, I have recently learned that some people don't like this first movie very much. I don't know why, because I did not want to learn, I will just write what I think. X-Men is the best one in the series including X-Men Origins Wolverine by far, even if the second one is deeper and it comes from perfect direction mostly. The movie is very consistent, no uneven material it has at all, it is very stylish and very enjoyable also. The tone, the atmosphere of the movie are so different from the comic book or/and the animation, it is like Bryan Singer creates his own X-Men world, but somehow, it does not turn into a flaw or disappointment. Visually, it looks like a thriller rather than a (colorful) fantastic super hero movie, but this works somehow. Personally, I did not complain about it. Instead, it makes the movie eccentric, idiosyncratic. I like the snowy shots and despite it is short, one of the best action scenes of the movie, the fight after the accident. As for Magneto, Ian McKellen was made for Magneto (and of course for Gandalf too) As I know, some people complained about Sabretooth, but may be even if he was not made for the character like McKellen, Patrick Stewart as Professor X and Halle Berry as Storm, Tyler Mane looks great as Sabretooth. I saw the original character, I watched the animation, but I don't know why they were not satisfied with Tyler Mane's Sabretooth, what was wrong? He is as harsh as the original character too. Halle Berry is so cute by the way. There are a few smart moments like the steel balls or the metal floors related to Magneto by the way, I liked it. The action scene takes place in the station is my second favorite. Just a note: there is a shot with a weird angle, it was amazing. Visually, X-Men is one of the most stark, plain movies ever made probably. The last parts are amazing too, we see some cool fight scenes, everyone encounters with each other. Every time it is so fun to watch thanks to Singer's stark, eccentric direction and the colorful characters. The Wolverine Sabretooth clash is not the focus of the movie, but better than X-Men Origins Wolverine. On the Statue of Liberty, there is a spiral camera shot, loved! And X-Men has much more.
  • This movie tries to be an action movie and an intelligent movie but fails dismally on both counts. The so called intelligent parts to the paper thin plot were extremely weak and never really got past the "we shouldn't pick on those who are different to us" message. As for the action, it was drawn out, predictable, relied too much on special effects and lacked any sort of suspense. Also, for most action type movies to work we need to at least care a little bit about the "good" characters and hate the "bad guys". Quite frankly, I didn't care who won or lost thanks to the almost non-existent character development.

Well done X-Men, this is the first movie I have ever awarded a .....wait for it.... ----> 1/10 <---- on imdb. Avoid this movie at all costs!!!!
  • I have always liked the movie X-Men! Its a serious movie with a deep story and a dark nature! It

has a very different cast and some incredible action! The special effects are top notch! The movie also has a unique score by Michael Kamen that fits this film perfectly! Below in a small but In-depth look at the characters of the film.

The X-Men

Hugh Jackman as Wolverine - There is not much information that is known about Logan or as he is called by another name which is Wolverine because of his hair and his raw fighting skills and not to mention his great sense of smell and like his arch nemesis Sabertooth, he too has an incredible healing rate! He also has the outstanding ability to have three steel claws in each hand that comes through the knuckle area. He uses these thick blades for weapons and they do the task well! What kind of mutant is Wolverine? How can he possibly have this painful but yet great advantage that literally shoots out of his hands? Will Professor X and his X-Men help Logan find out or will Wolverine have to find out on his own?

Patrick Stewart as Professor Charles Xavier - Professor X, The head of the School For Gifted Youngsters. He helps mutants with their powers by teaching them many things. He is a kind man and he seems to be more of a father or parent than a mentor. He is a very intelligent mutant and he can do many things with his mind! In fact he just may have the most powerful mind on Earth. Unlike Magneto, Charles Xavier believes in peace!

James Marsden as Cyclops - Scott Summers has such powerful eyes he needs a special visor to control it. What causes this red beam is unknown and his visor helps him maintain this dangerous red light but he can control the beam with the help of a knob as he can adjust this to help him whenever he needs to use it however but without the special visor look out for an incredible blast! He is also a skilled pilot!

Famke Janssen as Jean Grey - She also has a very powerful mind though she needs more time on how to master it with the help Professor X! She likes Cyclops but she also cares about Logan.

Halle Berry as Storm - This Egyptian beauty has the power to create all kinds of storms! Ororo Munroe has long white hair and whenever she uses her great power her eyes turn white as well!

Anna Paquin as Rogue - She has the unusual power to drain the life out of anyone she touches! She must wear gloves to prevent this from happening!

The Brotherhood

Ian McKellen as Magneto. A very intelligent man that is Erik Magnus Lehnsherr. Where he hails from is unknown but what is known he has an extraordinary power that he can magnetize anything that is metal! Whether its as small as a key or as large as a car it becomes no problem for Magneto!

Tyler Mane as Sabertooth - The huge maniac that is known as Sabertooth has incredible senses and is able to heal from injuries faster than anyone except Wolverine! This giant lunatic loves to hear women scream and he has a passion to hear the scream or none other than Storm! Victor Creed is a psychopath and with his long claws and razor sharp teeth he is out for blood!

Ray Park as Toad - The green skinned Mortimer Toynbee has a real long tongue and can grab a hold of an animal for lunch and also can use it to grab and use to swing out of danger. He has great leaping ability and fighting skills!

Rebecca Romijn-Stamos as Mystique - Though her real name is Raven Darkholme, she prefers to be called Mystique due to her mysterious shape shifting. The blue skinned woman can change exactly into anyone and even duplicate the clothes they wear! She is incredibly agile and She has excellent fighting skills and she'll give the greatest fighters the planet has to offer a great challenge!

Other Characters

Bruce Davison as Senator Robert Kelly - Unlike some people he is a believer in mutants and knows what they can do. He is captured by the lovely Mystique as it was a mission to her. Magneto shows the Senator what its like to be a mutant!

I really like the X-Men movie and I think Bryan Singer did a good job on the characters. Though X-2 is arguably better than this and I would love to have the X-Men franchise to spawn more than a trilogy. Though it may never happen but I think about this a lot that wouldn't it be awesome if they would have these great comic book characters together with other Marvel characters from movies like The Hulk, Spider-Man, Blade, The Punisher, & Daredevil? Think of the epicness and possibilities! I hope you have enjoyed this In-depth look at The X-Men!
  • hansl3 May 2001
    The struggle of good vs. evil with a lot of special effects. If this was a children's movie I wouldn't have commented on it but everyone is acting so seriously in this movie again I am afraid it is meant for ages 14 and above too, like the matrix. I completely and utterly disliked every boring little scene from beginning to end. No fun. No substance. No originality. There should be a separate IMDB rating for American and European users so I won't get lured into crap like this by high ratings.