User Reviews (719)

• Kirpianuscus10 January 2018
    For many scripts, the word smart/clever is an eulogy. in this case it works only wise. because this is it - a wise serie. using ordinary family problems, stress, need/desire of revenge, stress, pressure, different types of characters, values, virtues and sins in the most inspired manner. a film about...happiness. in strange manner, because it use different tools and techniques. and a huge irony about contemporary society. so, more a serie, a special form of delight.
  • When everyone is telling you how great a show is, it is possible to expect too much. Not in this case. While both subtle and sublime, it also is very violent at times. And while it was playing at HBO and therefor was allowed to do anything it liked to do (nudity and violence/blood), it never did anything just because it could do it. If you had bare breasts, it was at a strip club. If there was violence it occasionally lingered upon it, but sometimes cut away from it too.

But let's get to where the show is great: It's acting cast. I had seen quite a few movies with James Gandolfini, but it's a real eye opener seeing him as Tony Soprano. He uses a special "voice", that he made up for the character. And it suits him and the story. The show as it is, is trying not to judge too much. It leaves quite a lot of things open for interpretation. It does ground the Gangsters into reality, but it also lets you know that, there is more to some of them than meets the eye.

Of course the charismatic portrayal by Gandolfini might lead to impressions that were not entirely intended (just as Pacinos Scarface wasn't meant to be an idol either). But you can't fault the actor or the filmmakers for conclusions other people reach about their creation.

Having said that, the first season did seem a bit dated decorations wise, when looked upon in 2011 or '12 for that matter. But it does not take anything away from the show. And while I will still state that "West Wing" is my favorite TV show (the first 4 seasons were superior, the latter 3 not as good), the Sopranos is consistently good throughout it's 6(.5) seasons!

Another great thing about the show is, that it builds upon the story it set out. So there are strands of the story that will be explored later. But as in real life, some things might go unnoticed forever. You never know with the Sopranos what i's going to be. And it's a very good thing.

I drew my own conclusions concerning the ending, but I'm sure there other interpretations out there .. and the ending couldn't have been anything else. It just couldn't!
  • lee_eisenberg20 September 2017
    I can't believe that it took me this long to get around to seeing "The Sopranos". I had heard a lot about it, but I can affirm that with this show, "Six Feet Under" and "Game of Thrones", HBO revolutionized TV in the 21st century. A gritty look at a mob boss and how he tries to balance his work life and family, this show pulls no punches. One of the points that it makes is that there aren't really any "good" or "bad" characters. People do what they think best serves the family.

I don't know if I would go so far as to call it the greatest show ever - my personal fave of HBO's series is "Six Feet Under" - but the writing, acting and direction combine to make something that you won't get on the networks or basic cable. If you want to understand some of the best that TV can provide, then you owe it to yourself to watch "The Sopranos". Great show.

Too bad that James Gandolfini, Nancy Marchand and the recently deceased Frank Vincent are no longer with us.
    From what I have seen of this TV drama, it is a very good alternative of The Godfather, with a very good mafia involved family. It basically revolves around big man (literally and metaphorically) Tony Soprano (5 Emmy nominated (3 wins) and 4 Golden Globe nominated (1 win) James Gandolfini) and his family, wife Carmela (5 Emmy nominated (3 wins) and 6 Golden Globe nominated (2 wins) Edie Falco), son Anthony 'A.J.' Soprano, Jr. (Robert Iler), father Corrado 'Junior' Soprano (twice Emmy nominated Dominic Chianese), daughter Meadow (Jamie-Lynn DiScala) and sister Janice (Emmy nominated Aida Turturro). But also his family and gangster friends are focused, including Christopher Moltisanti (Michael Imperioli), Dr. Jennifer Melfi (Lorraine Bracco), Silvio Dante (Steve Van Zandt), Paulie 'Walnuts' Gualtieri (Tony Sirico), Adriana La Cerva (Drea De Matteo), Artie Bucco (John Ventimiglia), Vito Spatafore (Joseph R. Gannascoli) and Bobby 'Bacala' Baccalieri (Steve Schirripa). The programme involves the usual kind of mob crime and entertainment you see in the movies, and the dialogue is just a great as the violence. Many episodes with special guests Joe Pantoliano as Ralph Cifaretto, Steve Buscemi as Tony Blundetto and Robert Loggia as Feech La Manna. It was nominated for 96 Emmys, winning 18, and it was nominated for 22 Golden Globes, winning 5. It was number 1 on The 50 Greatest TV Dramas. Very good!
  • Tweekums18 May 2021
    This HBO drama series is centred on New Jersey crime boss Tony Soprano. Over the course of six seasons we see the criminal activities he, and his associates are involved in; his home life with his wife and two children and the sessions he has with psychiatrist Dr Jennifer Melfi. While many characters appear in all six seasons many change; some new characters are introduced and rise in prominence; others leave... usually following a violent death. While crime is an important part of the story it is more a character study of the characters; their motives, concerns and frequently paranoia.

I really enjoyed this series, both when it first aired and watching it again on DVD, without inter-season gaps. It is a modern classic which helps prove that when done properly a TV series can match the best films. It won't be for everybody thanks to the violence, strong language and occasional nudity... not to mention the fact that most characters are either criminal or somehow complicit in their activities. However if you don't mind this it is a must see. The characters are great; many are sympathetic despite being 'bad people' or glorifying their crimes and others are easy to really dislike (in a good way). The cast is great; most obviously James Gandolfini, who dominates as Tony Soprano; listing everybody else would take too long but particular standouts are Michael Imperioli, Steven Van Zandt and Tony Sirico, who play fellow gangsters; Edie Falco, Jamie-Lynn Sigler and Robert Iler, as his wife and children and Lorraine Bracco who plays Dr Melfi. I don't know anything about the real north of New Jersey where this is set but this certainly feels like a real location with deep characters and a sense of the community they live in. Overall I'd say do yourself a favour and watch this great show.
  • This series was originally broadcast on a network I didn't have access to so I never watched any episodes until now. Because it always pops up on lists of "best ever" shows I got the DVDs of season #1 from my public library.

No question, James Gandolfini, who was in his 30s when the series began, manufactured an iconic character in Tony Soprano. The show has a number of other really fine actors but he makes it work, it would be hard to imagine anyone else in the role. It was sad when he died very young in 2013.

After watching some of the episodes I can see why it is regarded so highly. But for me, after so many years of seeing real crime and violence in the news constantly, I simply choose to quit watching movies and TV shows with fictional crime as a theme. I just don't find it satisfying so I didn't finish season #1 but I am glad I found out what "The Sopranos" is all about.

For those who enjoy shows like this it would be hard to beat "The Sopranos."
  • Though "The Sopranos" is yet another gift from the megahit "The Godfather" and sequels, which dramatized and to a certain extent glamorized the mafia, "The Sopranos" takes another tack. No suited up, classy mobsters here with homes in Lake Tahoe and stakes in Vegas casinos - these guys are goombahs, with a front of waste management, who deal with things that fall off the back of trucks, topless bars, protection money - in short, what the neighborhood mobs were all about.

Colorful characters dominate this series, which doesn't hold back on the sex and graphic violence. Tony Soprano (James Gandolfini) is a mob head with a wife and two children, living in New Jersey, who suffers from panic attacks as he tries to balance his biological family with his mafia one. To get to the bottom of his attacks, he sees a psychiatrist, Jennifer Melfi (Lorraine Bracco), who is afraid of him and yet attracted to him at the same time. Tony's henchman - Paulie, his nephew Christopher, his Uncle Junior (the titular head of the mob), his good friend Pussy - are all fully fleshed-out characters.

As we learn going through the series, there are enemies not only from without, but from within, and one of those enemies includes Tony's sickly but horrible mother (Nancy Marchand), who convinces Junior that Tony is a danger to him. Tony's sister Janice, meanwhile, is searching for money in her mother's house with a stethoscope and a Geiger counter. Tony has mistress problems, and a wife (Edie Falco) who puts up with a lot because she loves him, all the while keeping ties to her Catholic religion. "The church frowns on divorce," she tells one woman contemplating a split. "Let the Pope live with him," is the response. As far as Tony's mistress problems, his psychiatrist points out that Tony is attracted to demanding women for whom nothing is ever enough, and asks him if it sounds familiar. Yeah, it sounds like his mother.

I'm of Italian descent, and yes, I'm sick of Italians being shown in a negative light and everyone assuming all Italians are mobsters. Yet you can't help liking this show, which is a constant reminder of our culture. (Thanksgiving, it's pointed out, isn't turkey and sweet potato pie - it's the antipasto, the manicotti, the meatballs and escarole, and then the bird!) Not to mention, the right-on pronunciation of words like melenzana (mullinyan), escarole (scarole), manicotti (manigot) etc. The only un-Italian thing about Tony is that he doesn't have a finished basement, something unheard of in the rest of my family (except my parents never had one either).

The standouts in this show are Gandolfini, as a ruthless gangster on antidepressants, Falco, who is brilliant as his wife, and Bracco as the tortured Jennifer. But everyone is excellent. If you can take the violence and the language, this is a great show, an unrelenting portrait of New Jersey mob life, with a finale that will haunt you.
  • The Sopranos is a terrific show. It may be violent, racist, sexist, and bad to the bone, it is also funny, melodramatic and cool. The characters are very well done and the acting is some of the best I've seen in years. It is also pretty keen for creator David Chase to pick Northern New Jersey as the set piece for his opus of crime life. I have liked this show alot since it aired on HBO in January of last year and I will keep on watching it because of the intrigue and drama.
  • The show is absolutely great. And what makes it such is the great combination of crime television as well as looking deeper into their personalities which created such a complex cast. We love those characters even though they do things we not always approve of.

The main example would be Tony. We get to know him through his psychology sessions better and better and we understand him more. So no matter what he did I loved him. Of course also because he loved animals so much.

But besides tony we had a lot of other amazing characters. Junior, Tony B., Chris, Paulie , Richie etc. They all have a great originality in them that makes it a pleasure to follow them and worry if they will die or not.

The show also has a great range of female characters. This is not often the came in mob or crime shows. Like my favorite TV show Breaking Bad had awful female characters. Sopranos on the other hand has some great and complex characters who were all interesting and not very stereotypical. Adriana was one of my favorites, but Carmela's great complexity added a lot to the show as well.

The final season was really not my favorite, I felt the show dropped a bit on quality but it was still better than most that we get to see on TV. And the first 5 seasons were absolutely brilliant.
    The Sopranos is a drama crime TV series that revolves around Tony Soprano,portrayed by the late James Gandolfini, as he faces difficulties of balancing the conflicting necessities of his crime organization and his family life as highlighted during his therapeutic sessions with psychiatrist Jennifer Melfi,portrayed by Lorraine Bracco.This show by David Chase also has a supporting cast that includes Edie Falco,Michael Imperioli,Dominic Chianese,Steven Van Zandt,Tony Sirico,Robert Iler and Jamie-Lynn Sigler. This 86- episode show lasted six seasons.

Tony Soprano is your average and middle-aged businessman.He's got a lovely and faithful wife and a son as well as a daughter.His circle of life includes a temperamental uncle,a hot-headed nephew,a mistress and a psychiatrist.We get to him how his balances his time and energy to meet the demands of his two families: the mob and his own.

This is definitely one of the best TV series ever shown.It definitely should be proud of its great writing as we get to see interesting and compelling characters who are human that have their own strengths and weaknesses.They are flawed and far from one- dimensional.Also,they make the viewer empathize with them in the good and bad things that they did.Also,we get to see great stories about the mob that never glamorizes the crimes that they do particularly the killings but rather it provides us a more accurate look on what it is all about in terms of the life in it and how the people respond to their responsibilities and the pressures of crime life.Finally,the performance of the cast is simply amazing from Gandolfini,Bracco and the rest.
  • bevo-1367828 June 2020
    Wire
    Great TV show. Sex, Drugs, violence, car chases and nice cooking
  • This TV show is for me the response to DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES tv series, but for gangsters instead of under fifty ordinary women. This series from HBO is maybe outstanding for most audiences, showing gangsters in a rather unusual and probably realistic way, presenting how Italian descent American hoodlums really behave with their families and conduct their business. That's the total opposite of NARCOS like shows, about Mexican drug cartels lead by hysterical punks who don't even know how to read or write, who always shout to each other in offensive words and who live in huge villas made in marble with golden bathtubs, which eventually serve as blood bath tubs, when the opponents finally wipe themselves out. So, THE SOPRANOS is the very opposite to NARCOS, which I don't like either. I prefer the in between, GOMORRA, PEAKY BLINDERS, or even MCMAFIA series. And the shrink sequences with Jim Gandolfini soliloquy is absolutely unbearable for me. No, SOPRANO, I really can't make it; it is a pure torture. But that doesn't mean it's not an awesome series. Do not misunderstand me please.
  • The greatest ever TV drama series.

The life and times of Tony Soprano, New Jersey mob boss. Shows his, er, "business" dealings, his family life and everything in between.

A monumentally brilliant and influential drama series. There had been crime dramas before, but this transcended that by making the criminals human. We see their personal relationships, anxieties, ups and downs, joys and pains. This is not a crime drama, its a drama, with criminals the main characters.

Intelligent, fast-moving plot, snappy, often funny, dialogue and good action scenes. This has it all.

This series created the blueprint for future TV dramas and put HBO on the map.
  • As the Godfather saga was the view of the mafia from the executive suite, this series is a complex tale of the mafia from the working man's point of view. If you've never watched this show, you're in for an extended treat. Yes, there is violence and nudity, but it is never gratuitous and is needed to contrast Tony Soprano, the thinking man's gangster, with the reality of the life he has been born to and, quite frankly, would not ever have left even knowing how so many of his associates have ended up. Tony Soprano can discuss Sun Tzu with his therapist, then beat a man to death with a frying pan in a fit of rage, and while dismembering and disposing of the body with his nephew, take a break, sit down and watch TV while eating peanut butter out of the jar, and give that nephew advice on his upcoming marriage like they had just finished a Sunday afternoon of viewing NFL football. Even Carmella, his wife, when given a chance for a way out, finds that she really prefers life with Tony and the perks that go with it and looking the other way at his indiscretions versus life on her own. If you followed the whole thing, you know how it ends. If you didn't, trust me you've never seen a TV show end like this.
  • Brilliant show for the first 2 seasons. I can recall a time when I couldn't wait for Sunday nights to see the further exploits of my favorite fictional made man Tony Soprano and his interaction with his family and his job trying to balance the two. The writing was superb, the characters were all exquisite and the episodes were among the best on TV. Then quite a bit of the magic of the show died when Big D got whacked. It was never the same, I kept watching and hoping though. Season 3 was just alright nothing compared to the first 2 amazing seasons. Season 4 I choose to stop watching about three quarters of the way through. It was awful soap opera BS. They turned one of my favorite shows sour. Gold had been turned into manure. But by than I had the immaculate "the Shield" to cushion the fall. I went away and never looked back. Season 5 may have been good for all I know. I don't care either. The Sopranos is dead to me, they just haven't had the decency to bury the body in the Medowlands yet.

My grade for Seasons 1 & 2: A+

Season 3: C+

Season 4: D
  • Let's face it, New Jersey has been the butt of jokes since it's inception even more so because of the corruption and abuse of power at government levels. The Sopranos are a family who has ties to the mafia but are more believable. Tony Soprano is played by New Jersey native, James Gandolfini, and his wife is played by veteran actress Edie Falco and Long Island native. His psychiatrist is played by Lorraine Bracco who is also Italian American. I don't support all the violence on this television show or it's need to kill off characters. The fact that the creator David Chase, another New Jersey native, has paid great homage to his state by creating a series which is family based as well as about the mob stereotypes. The series is well-written, intriguing, and definitely one of the groundbreaking series of our time. It's not for everybody but it make me proud to be from New Jersey where we are as tough as you can believe.
    Brilliant, excellent one of the best series made! Based on the last years of the old mob, The Sopranos was a great TV series on many aspects: H B O was one of the first networks to make less episodes, but longer not always but sometimes longer segments, with ongoing story lines, sub story lines, with high movie budgets and b level movie actors (aka Steve Buscemi). The casting was A list. James Gandolfini was a believable character, the flawed complicated protagonist starred with a great supporting cast (ie Steven Van Zandt). The characters where flawed with real life brutality: Racist, sexist, cheat, lie melded with high points of charity, humor etc to make a full character. The flaw taboos made many great episode subjects. Diverse story- lines breached many topics: family issues, social issues, mob life, corruption, gaming the system, and personal character issues such as mental health etc. Stand out episode involving paternal problems, Ralphie's personality disorder, Johnny Sacks' temper etc. Humorous segment with Paulie being a germ freak etc. The details of the Sopranos was great getting a Philly accent right, breaking a window and clearing the glass, F B I tactics, stripper problems, and real life conversations comments (ie that pizza tastes like ass.) One of the brightest aspects of The Sopranos is the producers did not run the series too long. Ending with how relationships become strained, costs of the life style, and characters reaching their full character arches. Great series 10 out of 10 stars.
  • it is a great show. not only for acting or script but for the high respect for measure. the humor, the cruelty, the sarcasm, the family life and the justice are pieces of precise puzzle. and that is the secret for its science to be not only realistic, not successful or seductive but itself. the courage to present a delicate subject in right manner is the best thing. and the detail who transforms it in a series -mirror for society sins. film about vulnerabilities of strong men, it has the rare science to use the actors gifts in subtle manner. and that is the source of a touching, impressive story about the life and death.
  • I watched two hours of "The Sopranos" and felt I had seen enough redundancy to know the rest of the series was going to be pretty much the same. A sitcom about a mafia don, "The Sopranos" relies heavily on the juxtaposition of a mob boss and a sensitive family man in the same character (Gandolfini) for its "it ain't easy being a don" backbone with sufficient violence and tit-ilators to whet the male interest and enough "I'm in touch with my feminine side" family stuff to appeal to the females. However, the characters are corny cliches from the grumbling mom to Chris, "Pussy", and the other "wise guys" and trying the straddle the comedy/drama divide diluted the efficacy in each genre making it too obvious, too pat, and too much a formula product. Nonetheless, you can't argue with success and with Emmys and accolades from all corners, "The Sopranos" will not be denied; at least not by prime time tv audiences looking for some no brainer entertainment. Film buffs and those into serious drama might want to give "Street Time" a try. (B)
  • Red_Identity3 November 2013
    What can be said that hasn't already been said. This is a fantastic TV show, it's only gotten better with time for me and rewatches strengthen it a lot. Regardless, the acting is amazing and a thing of beauty. Edie Falco is perhaps the show's best performer, digging all of her worth into the material (if you want proof, see Whitecaps). The family stuff is never rated as highly as the mob stuff, but I think it adds a certain, specific dimension to the show. And I love Dr. Melfi and the therapy scenes, crucial to Tony's inner-mind. Lorraine Bracco is great and should have won the Emmy for Employee of the Month. All in all, highly recommended.
    Not the best non-comedic TV series since the 60s, but the ONLY good non-comedic TV series since the 60s. (Annoying trash like "Ally McBeal", the various "Star Trek" spin-offs, and countless appallingly dull cops-and-robbers (now increasingly cops-and-serial-killers) shows come first to mind.) Television is increasingly a beehive of garbage and clichés, especially when it comes to dramatic shows, so to actually come across a high-quality mob drama - of all things - was a very pleasant surprise. There are many things going for the 86 episodes: terrific casting, convincing acting, more-or-less realistic and fun dialogue, plenty of plot twists, some good humour, and very good photography (practically on a movie level). Another major plus point would have to be the un-PCness.

There seems to be plenty of criticism, even coming from the show's fans, that there is (too much) racism in TS. Naturally, that's absurd. Of course there is racism; thankfully the decision was made by the show's producers to make the characters realistic, which does NOT include Italian mobsters saying how much they love the black man. The point of TS is anyway not to sympathize with the mobsters. To some extent it's difficult not to occasionally root for Tony Soprano, but only morons can consider him to be some kind of anti-hero (much like Gotti was; adored by masses of morons). The show's writers have gone out of their way to constantly remind the viewer that Tony and his gang are sociopaths and psychopaths, for the most part. Hence Tony's appeal stems not from him being a lovable teddy-bear, as some dim-witted viewers might perceive him as being, but from Gandolfini's natural charisma (which he can't help projecting) and from the interest he awakes with his exciting - and often absurd - lifestyle.

If there is any criticism to make, it would be regarding the casting of Tony's wife, for example. Lorraine Bracco was supposed to play that part, but VERY unfortunately she turned it down. She's wonderful as Tony's very patient shrink, but she would have had far more screen time as his wife, not to mention the fact that Tony Soprano having a beautiful wife would have made far more sense and been infinitely more pleasing to the viewer's eye. Yes: Eddie Falco is rather unattractive, mildly put; her performance is admittedly quite good, though. The fact that Furio later (season 4) falls in love with her doesn't really ring true 100% for this very reason. These mobsters are used to picking and choosing; they don't just grab whatever they see first, right?

Various directors have been involved here. Steve Buscemi's 3/11 episode, the one in the woods in Winter, I would pick out as the most memorable one, while an episode directed by Peter Bogdanovich (who also plays Bracco's shrink) is unsurprisingly one of the weakest. (An overrated, pretentious geek who considers pre-70s movies to be superior to anything that was made later.) But generally, the standard remains consistently high throughout the entire 6 seasons. Perhaps the episodes that over-focused on the problems of Tony's wife and the kids were slightly weaker than the more mob-activities-related episodes.
    A great show about a family man Tony Soprano (James Gandolfini) trying to balance time between his two lives by therapy. His home life and his criminal one. In 2013, the Writers Guild of America named it the best-written series in television history. Created by David Chase, the story of The Sopranos was initially conceived as a feature film similar to that of Analyze This (1999), but after some input, it was turn into a television show. While the series is named after David Chase's high school friend. The series is partly inspired by the Boiardo family, a prominent New Jersey organized crime family when Chase was growing up, and partly on New Jersey's DeCavalcante Family as well. The series had a very good supporting cast. Lorraine Bracco as the therapist Jennifer Melfi was one of them. Fans love her, so much that on Season 3 episode "Employee of the Month" when her character got attack; fans were rooting for Tony to get revenge on the guy, but Melfi doesn't tell him. Edie Falco starts as Tony's wife Carmela Soprano is also an interesting character, a bit annoying, but glad the show didn't focus too much on her. The show did focus a lot on Christopher Moltisanti's Tony 'nephew' (Michael Imperioli) from his problem relationship with Adriana La Cerva (Drea de Matteo), his troubles with substance abuse, and his oddball relationship with the other members of Tony's gang. Mostly involving Paulie Gualtieri (Tony Sirico), a comedy-relief character, but also one of the most sinister of them all. Not as sinister as Silvio Dante (Steven Van Zandt from Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band). He was just pure scary. Who knew a musician that play 'Born in U.S.A' can be that scary in a television role. The cast of the debut season of the series consisted of largely unknown actors. After the breakthrough success of the show, many cast members were noted for their acting ability and received mainstream attention for their performances with Emmys and other awards. Even several well-known actors guest star or join the cast in recurring roles such as Joe Pantoliano, Steve Buscemi, Robert Loggia, and Frank Vincent. The show's opening theme is "Woke Up This Morning" by Alabama 3 is a pretty good song. While it's has it catchy tunes, the show lacks a theatrical theme song like Godfather. The series had some pretty good episodes, most of them based in the settlings of the New Jersey area. Without spoiling too much about it. Season 1 & Season 2 are pretty good, and follows the raise of power for Tony. Best episode on Season 2 is "Commendatori" when they go back to Sicily. Season 3 is interesting, but nothing worth noting. Not enough great episodes there. I think the best episodes here are "Employee of the Month" and "Another Toothpick". Season 4 has it's up and down. Episodes here are in mixed reactions due to its intense most plot driven episodes. Some people might like it, some might not. Season 5 foreshadowed everything that was to come in Season 6, but its bring in too many new characters. Season 6 was the biggest drop in ratings they ever had. Only good episode here is "Members Only" first episode of season. Sill a couple of good episodes just not as good as the others. Don't buy this one unless you are a die-hard fan. Episode 3 "Remember When' is an episode worth watching. Everybody probably has their own opinion on the last infamous Sopranos episode "Made in America". In my opinion, I thought it was incomplete when the camera cuts to black. Some people wanted to see if Tony survive or not. Some people believe that it was a metaphor for the three times someone tried to assassinate Tony. The first two times failed, this one didn't. Hints why it takes Meadows (Jamie-Lynn Sigler) three attempts to park the car. Who knows! I just think Meadows is a lousy driver. Some people believe he survive with the song Journey song 'Don't stop believing'. Anyways, Chase's decision to end the last episode abruptly with just a black screen was controversial. The ambiguity over the ending and question of whether Tony was murdered will be talk about for years. The Sopranos is credited for creating a new era in the mafia genre deviating from the traditional dramatized image of the gangster in favor of a simpler, more accurate reflection of mob life. While some people hate the negative stereotype of Italian-Americans as mobsters families, in my opinion, the song really does try to make this characters have some depth, than face value murderers. In my opinion, MTV's Jersey Shore is worst than the Sopranos in negative stereotypes for Italian-Americans. About the characters, yes they can be a bit unlikable, and crude, but remember it's a television about a mob family, not the Brady Bunch. Overall: Sopranos is a great watch. Sadly, I doubt there will be any more Sopranos shows made anymore with the 2013's death of James Gandolfini. James was a great actor. Not just the sopranos but many movies. He understood the struggles of living the blue collard life because he was once there himself. A gentle giant that will be greatly missed. Maybe gone, but for sure will never be forgotten. RIP.
  • It will stay up there with the greatest shows. Breaking Bad was my first ever exposure to TV series. Then I started The Sopranos and frankly speaking, I was not that impressed with the first 2-3 episodes. Even you may feel bored but that's because of the exposure to the 2000s shows. Give it time and you will see.

Then, the momentum took care of everything. I grew so fond of the characters, the deepness, the large amount of humor and the actual mob story, that I started watching 4-5 episodes a day. After completing Season One, I wanted more. But then I thought I should write why it is one of the greatest shows.

Because it deals with mafia stories. It is original in its own way and maybe the use of humor has something to do with my fondness. The expressions, the phrases, the figures of speech keep me hooked. The arcs of characters are mind-boggling. They strike you at the right chords. After 13 episodes of blissful crime-drama, I can really term it up with the likes of BB. Although BB is a new-age contemporary, The Sopranos was cool in the since the 90s. So if you are into crime TV shows, this is staple and a classic.

BOTTOM LINE: Highly recommended! The characters ought to stay with you for long... But if you are watching it now in the 2014s, there has got to be a sense of boredom because of our exposure to crime contemporaries like Breaking Bad, Dexter, Sherlock, etc..
  • Despite the violence and dark aspects The Sopranos is a very peaceful experience that remains enjoyable throughout. Been years since I watched the series I forgot how immensely riveting it all is! So much perfection with the mafia, acting, sound that warm your soul, and writing is crystal smooth. Very well deserving of the 21 award wins, it'd be a shame if it didn't win a lot. Absolutely love how genuine the bulk of everything is. I started reviewing a few years ago and hope people still see my thoughts/appreciate them.
    ONCE AGAIN, WE find it quite surprising that we haven't penned a review of this series before now. Somehow or other, its strong story lines, great characterization and strong participation by its cast members slipped past our writers' awareness. Subconsciously we must have thought that we did review the show. How could we possibly have neglected to do so?

KNOWING THAT THE typical viewing audience goes for crime dramas, and tales of organized crime in particular, the creators sought to give us a feature film-quality production; but to do it within the medium of television. Whereas broadcast TV would impose certain constraints on particular "adult situations", these would be rendered as being "all systems go" in the domain of cable & satellite television.

BUT IN ADDITION to any gratuitous nudity, violent portrayals or explicit sexual situations, the series needed some intangible in order to separate it from the rest of the pack. The writing and production team opted for characterization and situational experimentation. In any case, they attempted to move the envelope just a little more than they had previously.

ONE STRONG ELEMENT that they exploited was the sort of double life that a mobster must live. Much in the same way that our favourite superheroes have dual identities, the gangster (particular the "Boss") must be able to put up a false front, complete with a plausible legit line of work; if only for cover.

NEXT, ANY HOOD must be able to compartmentalize his activities; which may all too often seem to be in total conflict with each other. For example: Prominent crime syndicate figures are all for law & order in their own residential communities. A gangster may be a church goer and a champion of many a charitable pursuit. A crime boss may have individuals "rubbed out", while having their own son being put through training for the priesthood.

BUT THE MOST unique situation that was employed and exploited to the fullest was that of having Mob Boss Tony Soprano (James Gandolfini)being in need of psychological care and therapy. The very thought of having him confiding in therapist, DR. Jennifer Melfi(Lorraine Bracco), is an impossible situation, right from the get go. How can a man such as Tony take the Doctor into his total confidence and trust her to keep it all confidential?

IT WOULD TAKE a sacred bond similar to that of the Confessional to assure secrecy. It did just that on the series and it made for a truly interesting run of what, eight seasons?

ALL OF THESE above mentioned elements, along with generous sprinklings of rich, sometimes black humour that made this our all-time favourite drama about the crime syndicate, called "the Outfit" here in Chicago.