• The more of Ron Ormond's 1960's output I see, the more I'm impressed. This gem comes from 1963, and re-teams Ormond with his longtime partner Lash LaRue, with LaRue playing a psychiatrist who, with the assistance of a hypnotist, helps to cure a young wife of her frigidity, caused by a sexual assault as a teenager. The first scene of the film depicting the attack is accompanied by the guitar music from Ed Wood's JAIL BAIT; after that we get an overly long lecture on psychology; after that we get at least five minutes of mondo footage; and somewhere in the midst of all this we get a cheesy swirling disc, as seen in the pre-feature intros of K. Gordon Murray's "Young America Horror Club." The rest of the film is a bit more restrained, but still outrageous, as La Rue brings in hypnotist Ormond McGill (presumably playing himself), who had previously appeared in Ormond's vaudeville anthology VARIETIES ON PARADE, to put the wife into a trance, get her to remember her attack, and then convince herself that it was just a scene in a movie and that she should forget it! Besides the guitar music lifted from JAIL BAIT (and also used elsewhere), there's a lot of fine harmonica duets (heavily echoed) from Jimmy and Mildred Mulcay, who appeared in the earlier VARIETIES and also in the later GIRL FROM TOBACCO ROW and THE EXOTIC ONES (aka THE MONSTER AND THE STRIPPER). The effect of echoed harmonica music on the dramatic scenes is quite distinctive and gives the film a strange, unnerving feel in spots. If you've enjoyed FRIGID WIFE, TEST TUBE BABIES, or ANY Ron Ormond film, you MUST see this wonderful film, sure to become a cult classic when it gets more circulation. Legit VHS copies are still available at low prices, so grab them while you can.
    Taking a look a few weeks ago at a poll that was being held on the IMDb Classic Film board for the best movies of 1963,I noticed a fellow IMDb'er place on their list a deranged melodrama,which had been filmed in 1959,but had not been released until 1963.Checking around on a number of sites for this obscure-sounding title,I was disappointed to find that the film had seen to completely disappear from view.

3 days ago:

Searching around the internet late at night,I decided to do a quick search for Please Don't Tell Me,just in case I was able to find out any info about this long forgotten movie.To my complete surprise,I discovered that 2 days earlier,someone had kindly put the entire film up on Youtube!,which led to me excitingly getting ready to find out what would cause someone to not want to be touched.

The plot:

Walking on her way home,Vicky is gripped by a man,whose aggressive nature causes Vicky to faint.

Years later:

Talking to her mother for the first time since she has gotten married to her new husband,Vicky's mum begins to ask her about why she has seen very reserved ever since she has gotten married.Deciding to open up,Vicky tells her mum that the reason she has increasingly become closed off,is due to having haunting memories of the man who attacked her,that has led to Vicky finding it impossible to become intimate with her husband.

Originally planning to head home to see her husband,Vicky's mum stops her daughter dead in her tracks,by giving her a medicine that knocks her out,which gives plenty of time for Vicky's mum to arrange a meeting for her daughter with a hypnotise.

Shocked by how far her mother has decided to take things,Vicky reluctantly ignores the pleas of her husband,and attends the hypnoses session the next day.

Feeling suspicious about the subconscious effect that Vicky's mother has had on her daughter,the 2 doctors/hypnoses decide to send Vicky into a deep trance,in order to find out what really happened the day that she ran into the aggressive man.

View on the film:

For the screenplay of the film,writer/director Ron Ormond makes each of Vicky and her mum's interactions one that are wonderfully off balance and off centre,with Ruth Blair and Viki Caron each delivering their dialogue in a blunt manner,which helps to give the movie a great PsychBilly atmosphere,thanks to the dialogue being extremely over exaggerated in its bluntness,and also reaching a flight of fantasy with how to the-point everyone is in the movie.

Spilting the film into two sections,Ormond makes the first half of the film a history of hypnotise,with Ormond using rough stock footage to show the rather shocking (but thankfully not too gory) use of hypnoses in different countries.Contrasting the stock footage rough first half,Ormond shoots the Vicky section of the movie in a stylish pink colour,which helps to give Vicky's sinking into a deep trance moments,a strong, fluffy candy floss mood.

Enter the film in a figure-hugging top that allows for her smoking hot long legs to be given a full view,Viki Caron (who sadly never made another movie) gives a delightfully cheerful performance,with Caron making sure that even the more serious moments of the film include a real whiff of her charismatic personality.Going up against Caron,Ruth Blair gives a real boo-hiss performance as Vicky's mum,with Blair showing Vicky's mum to become increasingly deranged,the closer her daughter gets to finding out why she cant be touched.
  • JonL-213 January 2006
    The first review of this film here accurately relates the juiciness of this freaky film. However, it's so much more. Fans of John Waters will eat this up! From the rockin soundtrack to the bitchy cardboard characters. The 5 minute sidetrek in the early part of the film is this bizarre mondo exploration of the ancient art of hypnotism and firewalking and glass rolling. What this has to do with the film is abstract at best, but it somehow justifies the hypnosis that this poor girl is about to undergo. It's really just an excuse to see some saucy T&A, and some freaky primitive cultures.

One of my favorite characters is Vicky's mother. She is a tight, bun-in-hair pulled back bitch. In a grey suit jacket and skirt, she's manipulative and robotic. She also speaks about herself in the third person "mother think you should get some rest..."

Vicky's hypno sessions are a perfect excuse for some birds-eye overhead shots lingering on her heaving cleavage.

The person who turned me on to Ron and June Ormond films (Monster and the Stripper is another work hunting for), told me they went on to produce televangelist films and videos. Classic.