User Reviews (3)

• An interesting attempt to freshen up the adventure series format. This concerned the escapades of arms dealer Joe Hine.It fell flat on its face after only one season having been heavily criticized for having an arms dealer as the hero. It did however enlighten viewers at the time, for showing arms dealers not as grubby miscreants living in the back of beyond, but educated, suited and booted 'Joe Hines'. The titles would be the first point of any annoyance by its critics, it showed Joe in his Rolls Royce indicating he has done very well in selling guns and ordinance.However (perhaps in response to the criticism?), Hine does meet his match in the final episodes,with something none of us can fight. IE The Inland Revenue a tense battle, the result of which will not be spoiled here.The show itself was mostly studio bound concentrating on the drama of the deals rather than action with guns. Good first lead for Barrie Ingham and good last lead for Colin Gordon.
    This is such a difficult series to review. I ordered it thinking it was a typical 70's cop show, murder mystery etc. Not so, the series focuses on Joe Hine, a smartly dressed, articulate, professional man who's an arms dealer. Each episode sees him in a different situation, squaring up to the competition, dealing with corruption, blackmailers, Poiliticians etc.

The whole concept of this show in today's world seems virtually impossible, but 1971 was a completely different time. When it was originally transmitted I can see that it would have been very controversial, and perhaps too high brow. I find it disappointing that a Second Series wasn't commissioned.

I enjoy 70's dramas, I certainly enjoyed watching these, some episodes are definitely more enjoyable then others, I find the opening episode a little flat, they definitely gather momentum as they progress.

Barrie Ingham is well cast and enjoyable as the lead role, he's almost an anti hero, considering that he's smartly dressed, sophisticated etc he seems even more at odds with the typical lead character back in the day. Paul Eddington as always is wonderful, he's great heading up the supporting cast.

I'd say worth a look, just know what you're getting. 8/10
  • "Hine" only lasted 1 series and it quickly faded into obscurity. There isn't much to recommend this one (certainly not Barrie Ingham's rug). The whole thing is studio-bound and the writing never rises above routine. Colin Gordon is a good actor and he gives the best performance. The year after "Hine" was broadcast, he suddenly passed away and he wasn't very old.