I grew up watching That 70's show on nickelodeon and recently started watching the series again and I fell in love with the show again. The actors were incredible, the show was creative and the writing was amazing. This started to change from around series 4-5.

What I first loved about the show is that it wasn't the typical American comedy. There was a strong love story, but unlike many other comedies, the love story between Eric and Donna felt so real and you could relate to their relationship so easily. They were unbelievably convincing and you could feel the love between them both.

However this series did start to turn for the worse. There were cheap jokes and poor story lines. I think the writers were starting to run out of ideas, which does happen. I just wish the show had the beautiful ending it deserved, leaving us wanting more. Ricky Gervais made just two seasons of the UK office for this reason exactly. He didn't want it to lose it's touch and what it was about. In my opinion The UK version of the office has had the best ending of any comedy series in the Christmas specials.

I wish That 70's show ended in a similar way (and it had a very good chance) with Eric and Donna getting married. Throughout the whole first 4 series Red had always been so harsh on Eric, playing the hard dad and when he finally came round the the idea of letting them get married I thought this was the perfect way to end. Eric and Donna happy, their friends happy for them and Eric also winning round his dad for the first time.

I loved the moment in that last episode of season 7 between Red and Eric where the two of them hug for the first time. It had the same emotional feel that a lot of the earlier seasons had. Season 8 however...I won't go into season 8. I read another review and I would like to mirror one of the points made that the show is about Eric, Eric's first love, Eric's parents and Eric's friends so the fact that they made a series without Eric is quite hard to believe and it feels like a sham. Just some more money for the producers.

I didn't mind the love story between Hyde and Jackie as it showed character development (mostly on Hyde's side) and also went quite deep into his character which I loved. He is another character you wanted things to go well for as he didn't have the best of upbringings.

This review may sound critical but that's only because I feel let down by the creators of the show.The earlier seasons were unbelievable however and the show still remains one of my favourites. I'm sure like everyone else, I fell in love with the love story between Eric and Donna but I just wish it ended earlier with that happy ending we deserved.
  • I didn't start to watch "That '70s show" until about a year or so ago and I sure wish that I would have started tuning in a lot earlier. This series is really funny, really different, and has an amazing cast.

In my opinion, this is one of the best casts assembled in a long time. Everybody makes me laugh (especially Eric and Fez). All of the characters are likable and each actor puts in that little something each week that is needed to make a television series survive. Topher Grace is really great and I still can't believe that he didn't have any acting experience prior to this show. That's one of the best things about this show - all of the actors really had no acting gigs and just fell into the roles immediately.

The writers are extremely funny. Although the writing is simple at times, it's unpredictable the next, and that's what I like. Each episode has good scenarios/plots and always makes me laugh.

Everything about it is good and it's not the same as all of the other shows that are currently on TV. It stands out with an excellent cast (and an excellent theme song. That thing gets stuck in my head so easily.) I like the seventies, I like this show, but was "That '80s Show" really necessary?
  • I guess that one might say that "That '70s Show" is to the 1990s what "Happy Days" was to the 1970s: a look at how cool things were twenty years earlier in Wisconsin. And they do a great job with it. The characters are: Eric Foreman (Topher Grace), a sometimes clueless high school student; Donna Pinciotti (Laura Prepon), Eric's strong-willed friend; Michael Kelso (Ashton Kutcher), a complete imbecile; Jackie Burkhart (Mila Kunis), the vain, egotistical member of the group; Steven Hyde (Danny Masterson), the cynical member of the group; Fez (Wilmer Valderrama), a foreign exchange student who always tries to be cool; Red (Kurtwood Smith), Eric's hard-ass father; and Kitty (Debra Jo Rupp), Eric's jolly mother.

Tommy Chong occasionally appears as Hyde's stoner boss Leo. Throughout the series, the circle of friends comes across all sorts of situations, which usually end up accentuating Kelso's stupidity or Hyde's distrust of authority. Oftentimes, they assess everything through popular culture (namely disco or any TV show that had existed up to that point). But no matter what happens, it's always safe to assume that Red will threaten to kick someone in the ass, or at least call someone a dumb-ass.

Either way, it's a great show. You gotta see it.
    Loved most of the cast and could relate to most. However the one consistent character/actor I couldn't stand was Donna/Laura Prepon. The combination of her bad acting and forced relationship with Eric annoyed me every episode. She would laugh at every line or would take things a little too seriously. They should've just fired her. Then there's Randy/ Josh Meyers. Ugh. I understand the writers trying to replace Eric's character but this was a bad idea. He was as funny as warm milk. He just goes to the Grooves shop, gets a job, and that's how he's introduced. He then started dating Donna, again another forced relationship. At this point of the show (Season 8), it should've just never existed. After the two main characters left, the studio clearly focused more on profits rather than just ending on a happy note. Eventually Hyde, Fez, Jackie, and Forman's parents were all that kept this show moving on to the bitter end. By Season 8, the main characters were either moving out , getting married, getting jobs, in other words, they grew up. The story went from kids growing up in the 70's to average middle class adults in the 70's. Once again, was great in the beginning, but once the two top characters left, they should've just cashed out.
  • This was one of the funniest and greatest sitcom to hit national television. Its unfortunate that the show is not placed amongst great sitcoms where it truly belongs. The actors did a superb job and seasons one thru six were the show at its peak point. Although season seven was not as great when compared to the previous six, it was still funny. Season 8 was the real problem kicked in. Without Topher grace or Ashton Kutcher the show simply fell apart. Not too say, the other actors weren't great if any of 2 main characters had left such as Danny Masterson, Wilder Valderamma Kurtwood Smith, Debra Jo Rupp, Mila Kunis and Laura Prepon ( Don Starks and tommy Chong are great too) left the show it would have the same affect. And the inclusion of Randy ( Josh Meyers) didn't help either because he was not well received by the shows fans. I believe if the show ended a year ago it would have certainly gone down in history as one of the sitcom greats. Season 8 was a little dull but the finale was excellent. I am going to miss the show, i just hope i wake up one day to find out the show is back as That 80's show with the same cast because i am going to miss the hell out of it.
  • Unlike the 70s sitcom it sometimes mocks (Happy Days), this show has no peaks and valleys, and never "jumped the shark". It's just a rock solid, funny show and has been for the duration of its run (so far). I have watched just about every episode since the beginning, and have never been let down. It's an extremely underrated show which could reach ledgendary status if it runs for a few more years. Everyone in the cast is very funny and endearing in their own way. The best thing is that they never stray from the original characterizations. And you never doubt for a minute that you're back in the seventies, unlike Happy Days, which was set in the 50s yet much of the cast (Scott Baio anyone?) sported contemporary haircuts. This show is a gem. Watch. You won't be disappointed.
  • This show is one of my favorites. I just started watching it last week when Fox aired an episode every night of the week. I cannot believe I've been missing this show! It's one of the funniest shows I have seen in a long time. Tho, I'm no fan of the 70's as a decade, the show makes me wanna go back and live it all again...wait I was born in 1978, so forget that idea. Anyhow...the show follows the lives of a group of 17 year- olds in the 70's and everything they do is hilarious. I love the character of Fez, who happens to be foreign, and he's sorta the dork of the show. He tries to be cool and catch all the fads of the time, but he never seems to get it right, and he's always after Jackie, played by the beautiful Mila Kunis. As for Jackie, the relationship between her and her boyfriend is classic. The guy is a total idiot, and she's almost as dippy as he is...As for Eric, who is the male lead, and Donna- his girlfriend, they are so sweet together...if I do say so myself. They are the perfect couple on the show, and I'm shocked they're acting, they do the couple thing so well! The show is like a lot of comedies, but it's got an edge most shows don't. I love the shots where the camera rotates around the table, showing all the guys talking...it's a staple of almost every episode. Check this show out if you haven't had a chance, or chose to ignore it!!
  • Sandcooler29 January 2008
    Over the years, we've seen a lot of preposterous things done by writers when the show just had to go on no matter what, keeping "8 Simple Rules" going after John Ritter died comes to mind, but this is probably the first time I cared. The idea of having "That 70's Show" without Eric or to a lesser extent Kelso is ridiculous. They tried to cover it up with a comeback of Leo and increasingly outrageous story lines, but it always felt like why bother when you don't have a main character anymore. It just didn't really connect, it was a bunch of unrelated stuff happening that most of the time wasn't even funny. The last season felt like the season too much for every single character, simply because Eric used to take a lot of screen time and now we'd be smashed in the face by how stale and repetitive the rest of the characters were. Focusing on the gimmick that is Fez was thoroughly uninteresting and the character would simply stop working, because the whole deal was that he'd say something weird from out of nowhere, and you can't say stuff from out of nowhere when every second line is yours. They also brought in the standard cousin Oliver, only this time it just wasn't a kid. Whenever you heard somebody knock on the door, you started praying it wasn't Randy, please let it not be Randy. The deal with Randy was that he'd do really awful jokes, usually as Red would say, smiling like an ass and totally screwing up delivery and Donna would be in stitches. I think more than half of the last season was Donna pretending to be amused. The problems had started earlier though: what once was a truly great show with an equally great concept that for once wasn't about a dysfunctional family slowly got into the territory of soap opera. Everybody started being in love with everybody, emotional scenes were dragged out at nausea, with just one usually lame joke placed somewhere to divert attention that we were watching "As The World Turns". I'm guessing this was character development, but come on that was written almost as clumsily as the moral lessons from "Family Matters". To be fair, the last episode, also because it had a cameo by Topher Grace (a cameo in his own show), was really good, even if not that funny either.

By the way, yet more criticism on Season 8: what the hell was with the opening theme? Not only did they use the same joke twice (a character not singing), Fez scared the hell out of me. Dude, don't open your eyes that far. But the first five seasons or so,among the best comedy ever broadcast.
  • This show has come so far. At first EVERYONE in the cast from Eric to Fez, they were all new actors and actresses, fresh faces, and just look what they accomplished. They stuck with the show and it was a success. Its one of the best shows ever made and its probably the funniest sitcom I've ever seen in my life. It will be sad to see it end but if they end this show, I hope to God that the series finale goes out with one of the biggest bangs that any season finale has ever had. I don't care if the whole season sucks because they save all the fuel for the final episode. Go down swinging, get one last punch in. The show deserves it, the fans deserve it, if they go, let everyone know its going to end, like on Friends, and let the finale be huge. I say get Donna and Eric married, I say have Hyde and Kelso fight and become friends again, I say have something interesting happen between Fez and Jackie because Fez has been trying for so long, but of course it wont work out for him. JUST CLOSE OUT THE SERIES BIG TIME GUYS!

That 70s Show will always be the best in my eyes. Eric, Kelso, Donna, Jackie, Fez, Hyde, I wish I had you guys as friends. You are the best!

10/10...
  • This is a really funny show indeed. The script is good and never fails to deliver new ideas. After seven seasons, the show hasn't got boring and that credits must go to the writers. There are some very interesting and funny characters like Red Forman, Fez or regular guest characters like Leo. The actors are quite good, especially Danny Masterson or Wilmer Valderrama (he got a fabulous accent) or Debra Jo Rupp. At first Mila Kunis was really bad but she got better as the show advanced. It is good that the story advanced really well along these seasons. And I like the way they capture the '70s atmosphere, like through the references of the movies or music.

And the title song rocks.
  • From the very first episode That '70s Shows delivered a very consisting humor and is definitely without a doubt in one's mind that this is one of the funniest show ever created.

Brief: That '70s Shows tell us the life of six teenagers living in Wisconsin through the hippie period.

This is without doubt the birthplace of six young talented actors such as Ashton Kutcher, and is considered to be the show with the best cast (consider this is their first acting carrier). The story really captured the sense of the '70s brilliantly and how funky it is to be in that period.

Not just that, That '70s Shows also have a brilliant humor throughout and the directing is very original and smart. For me, I think it going to be damn hard to dislike the show.

Recommendation: One Of The Most Complete Show, I Have Ever See.

Rating: 9/10 (Grade: A+)
  • Along with reruns of "Seinfeld", of course, and maybe some "Friends" reruns.

We all know the plot by now: life in the 70s. My mom says that some of the characters actually remind her of people she knew when she was in high school then.

Lots of great pokes at the decade here, from disco to streaking to Star Wars to Charlie's Angels (and yet no jokes about TV's "M*A*S*H"), and all the usual coming of age jokes (men VS women). The beautiful red haired, deep voiced, 5-foot-10-inch Laura Prepon, who plays Donna (and was also the main reason I started watching this show), is probably the most normal character on the show (the only time she ever really got colorfully bent out of shape about something was when she found another woman's underwear in Eric's car, which is understandable for any woman, only to find out that her mom and dad were back there one night) with Topher Grace's Eric in second place. Danny Masterson is great as the dead pan conspiracy theorist Hyde. I don't see what's so great about Ashton Kutcher, but I will give him credit for giving his all in the role of the male bimbo, same to Mila Kunis (who's finally making the transition from simply cute to actually being beautiful) as the self-absorbed Jackie and Wilmer Valderamma (or however you spell his name) as Fez. However, this show has ruined my ability to enjoy the 1987 hit "Robocop" because I've come to enjoy Kurtwood Smith so much in the role of Eric's cranky dad Red Foreman that I can't stand to see him as the evil Clarence Boddicker who helps mutilate Peter Weller's Murphy in "Robocop". It's a shame they had to replace Lisa Robin Kelly as Lori, even though the new actress Christina Moore is prettier.

I will say this though: the show has now exhausted and run all good ideas, and yet it's still more endearing than TV's "M*A*S*H". Here's the rule for watching the reruns: if Donna's mom Midge (former Bond girl Tanya Roberts, who rallied a few other former Bond girls together for an episode) is there, you're good. However, if Eric and Donna have broken up, change the channel immediately (it's just not right, those two not being together) or if Donna is sporting blonde hair, or if Eric and Kelso just aren't there at all, also change the channel. The fifth season shows where Jackie starts dating Hyde are pretty much reliable. But all in all, it's a great watch, certainly a lot better than current "Friends" and "The Simpsons".
  • How does an usual day start in Point Place, Wisconsin...

First of all, Red, the tyrannical father of the Forman family and a WWII veteran, sits at the kitchen table and reads his newspaper while his overjoyed wife Kitty serves breakfast. Then comes their skinny son, Eric, he sits at the table as well, and his father starts his daily yelling, usually involving placing his foot in Eric's behind if (insert reason here). If his promiscuous angel-faced sister Laurie is at home, she comes along, then Red stops yelling and kindly talks to her, making Eric feel left out of the family.

Once this daily (painful) ritual is over, Eric rushes down to his basement, where all his friends are already hanging out. And when we get to see them, it becomes obvious Eric and his redhead tomboy girlfriend, next-door neighbor and childhood friend Donna Pinciotti are the sanest people around. Meet Steven Hyde, the conspiracy theorist who hates disco and doesn't really care about what's around as long as it's not funny to watch; Michael Kelso, the kind of guy who thinks that he will get through his life only by his looks and that carrots grow in trees; Jackie Burkhardt, the one who thinks of herself as the prettiest girl around, spoiled kid of a rich father, and, of course, cheerleader; and Fez, a naive but oversexed foreigner who loves candy and can't keep a secret. At first they simply hang out, gossiping and making fun of Kelso, but then they all sit in a circle and let the real fun begin... before going out doing something they'll regret later.

Meanwhile Red goes out and meets Donna's weirdo parents, Bob and Midge. He's rude, but they don't mind, as they think he's joking. Somewhere around is Leo, an aging hippie, who's constantly confused and makes word plays without even noticing.

Did you imagine that seemingly peaceful neighborhood with all these awesome characters? Of course, most seem "clichéd", but the show takes the cliché to a new level. Now throw in some of the most wicked story lines a sitcom can offer, sit down and enjoy one of the best TV shows ever. The one that never does two times the same thing and which is, compared to most sitcoms that are "cute funny", purely hysterical. If you get hooked, don't let this show let you go. Bite on the hook over and over and, man, you will see the sitcom genre from a whole new prospective.
  • stamper10 November 2002
    As the title suggests, this comedy takes place in the 70's (one of my favorite musical decades). It revolves around a group of friends which are all late teenagers and covers all of their daily hassles with friends, parents work and love. There is a variety of different and real characters here, plus the one that no comedy can work without it seems: the incredible dumb-ass. In this series this person is Kelso (Ashton Kutcher). Then there is Eric (Topher Grace), whose basement is the place where the main characters usually hang to avoid their parent and Erics sister. Eric is an OK guy, whose girlfriend Donna (Laura Pepron) lives in the same street as he does. The relationship between the two is very well worked out and they behave in a way I think is appropriate for serious couples of that age. The rest of the crew are Jackie (Mila Kunis) who is really self absorbed and not one of the favorite's of the group, although she belongs there. Then of course there's Fez (Wilmer Valderrama) the foreigner, who is thinks very highly of himself at times, but who is also naive and shy in a way. The crew is completed by my favorite character, Hyde (Danny Masterson). The reason I like him so much is that he is very easygoing. Plus he is extremely cool, I mean when he cracks a joke or makes a remark it always strikes a chord, whether it is a wise or a mean statement. Overall this is a good show with some great and some standard comedy characters (of which not all are mentioned here).

8 out of 10
  • ... and the series lets you forget all that. I am about three years older than the kids portrayed in the series. Born in 1958, I learned to drive during the first gas shortage, and got my first post-college graduation job during the second gas shortage in 1979. The 70's were a truly dreadful time to be young - inflation, competing for after-school minimum-wage jobs with laid-off thirty-somethings, dreadful music, worse clothes.

The funny thing is, this series doesn't ignore any of that and still manages to make the 70's look fun, even for those of us old enough to know better. It manages to look the 70's directly in the face - complete with time-authentic clothing - and yet fill the show with the hopefulness of youth and the things that make the high school and college years both the best of times and the worst of times. Then there are the parents. The two young lovers in the show - Eric Forman and Donna Pinciotti - truly have dreadful parents with the best of intentions. Eric's parents, Red and Kitty, are not exactly June and Ward although they are conventional for the decade. They represent what happened when the 60's finally reached the suburbs during the 1970's. Donna's parents are two people who have been waiting for the 1960's to show up their whole lives in order to give their weirdness legitimacy. Eric's friends Fez, Kelso, and Jackie round out the group representing nerdiness, well-meaning incompetence, and snobbishness respectively. Hyde is an unusual teenager for a show about the suburbs, but he largely represents someone who has to play the cards he was dealt even when those cards are dealt by largely absentee and negligent parents. I highly recommend all eight seasons even though season eight does lag a bit due to the absence of Eric.
  • Since the two main characters (Eric and Kelso)left...the show went really bad.

Not that this was an extremely fascinating show to begin with.

Well, yes it is...if you smoke enough herb.

OK, herbs aside...

Eric is gone and so is the series.

All shows seem to revolve around discussion of Eric, even though he is gone...

How long can this last? This is the start to a tragic downfall to the series.

It is beginning to seem like that 80's show wasn't so bad compared to the new season.

And who is that new dude Randy Peasrson...he has absolutely no comedic flair...none...if there was anybody more pathetically serious in a comedy show...it's this new guy...who should be pulled away and given a surfboard on a remake of Bay Watch.
  • I had always used "Friends" and "The Cosby Show" as my measuring stick for bottom-of-the-barrel sitcom-making. However, having survived several excruciatingly bad scenes of "The 70s Show", I might want to reconsider which sitcom it is that truly earns its rightful place at the throne located in the densely-populated lowest levels of the mountain-cave of TV drivel.

First of all, when you cast a sitcom with rank amateurs who haven't got the slightest acting talent or experience in comedy, then it doesn't even matter that the scripts are just as bad. You can't make a cake out of bird-droppings. (Well, you can, but it will only be eaten by easy-to-please, hungry, bird-brained viewers...) Ashton Kutcher, a former catwalk zombie, makes Claudia Schiffer ("Blackout") look like a stage legend by comparison. The grinning moron behind MTV's idiotically-named "Punk'd" and the producing "genius" behind "The Butterfly Effect" (one of the silliest movies of this decade) mugs his geeky self through this awful TV show as if he were on drugs or suffering from hyper-activity (an affliction often found in the less-than-bright children). Shouting, grinning, jumping like a banshee, and making exaggerated childish faces may work for the French, but the rest of us want something more than that. After all, any idiot can act like that. It's about as funny as David Schwimmer slipping on a banana peel. (Unless this was shown on a paparazzi programme, then it'd be funny...)

Similar situation with Wilmer Valderrama. His role is that of a goofy moron with a "cute" accent/voice that we're supposed to find utterly and belly-achingly funny. Both Vilmer's character and his talentless self would have been rejected for any "Police Academy" sequel. But in the abysmal world of 90s/00s sitcoms, he is a star.

It was almost frightening to see the astoundingly high IMDb rating plus the fact that this crap survived into its 8th or 9th season! (I felt a shudder not unlike that when I was watching "Eraserhead".) Fans of this show, are we even from the same planet?

The rest of the cast is nearly as hopeless, including the supremely talent-free and uncharismatic Danny Masterson - another former-model-turned-shoddy-sitcom-actor. (I know, he's a midget; he modeled as a 4 year-old, though. That's when they actually need low heights...) True, the rest don't degrade themselves quite as badly as Demi's lapdog or the nerdy Latino sidekick, but just being part of these immensely lame scripts makes them all look rather pitiful. Sure, they're all laughing on the way to their respective banks, but deep down inside they must feel at least a tinge of embarrassment about being involved in this horrendous crap of a show.

This is lowest-common-denominator humour, quite literally a laugh-fest for the low-IQ masses.

Go to http://rateyourmusic.com/~Fedor8, and check out my "TV & Cinema: 150 Worst Cases Of Nepotism" list.
  • wljhnsun25 September 2011
    Over the last month or so, I have watched the entire series. The show was well put together with actors that filled their roles very well. The main storyline, the life of teenager Eric Forman, is engaging enough to keep you interested and entertained. I felt that the show stayed true to what life as a teen was like. We all had that first kiss, first time, first heartbreak, our handful of friends we did everything with, our experiences with things like alcohol, drugs, and interest in all things relating to sex. We were all a teenager once. This show takes you on another ride as a teen.

Where this show hit me was in showing the way times change us as a Country. Over the course of the series you notice that things Americans held close to their heart, such as patriotism and religion opening up to newer concepts such as, interracial couples, open marriage, and homosexuality. If you watch the series, sure you become attached to the characters, that's why you tune in, but at the end of the finale, what I felt wasn't a joy for Fez and Jackie, or hope for Eric and Donna, what I felt was a loss of our way of life.

We can't have a Kelso, our kids aren't allowed enough freedom to be that adventurous. We can't have an Eric, our kids aren't allowed to be an underachiever in anything. We can't have a Hyde, our kids aren't allowed to be free thinkers. We certainly can't have a Donna, our children are not allowed to stand up and fight for their beliefs. We've turned all of our children into Jackie. They have been taught that they are all special, and perfect, and deserve everything handed to them right when they want it. If a neighbor were to simply pop into our home unannounced today, they'd be met with a bullet, not a friendly hello. Do you even know the neighbors on both sides of you and across the street? After the finale, I thought of my kids, and I felt sad for them. I felt ashamed that they cannot experience a real childhood. I felt the loss this Country has had, but hasn't seemed to notice... I felt the loss of trust in one another. The show is great, and if you pay attention, you see a bit more than the experiences of a 70's teen, you see the end of an era.
    The first 6 or so seasons were pretty fun. Nothing remarkable but quite enjoyable. Character development was slow but it was funny overall and worth the watch with a few exceptions to plot development that could have been interesting but instead ended up keeping things mostly the same. The last two seasons were just awful, especially season 8. References to events in previous seasons were inaccurate, characters changed personalities in order to fill gaps in actors leaving rather then write different stories based on who was left. New people brought in were 1 dimensional and poorly written for, everyone did exactly what you expected them to and they did it badly. The last season especially turned into a standard formulaic sitcom in all the worst ways. Very little made sense, episodes were mostly going after bad one liners and every aspect of the show felt forced and phoned in. Ending it on season 5 or 6 would have made a much better experience overall.
    Not since The Simpsons made it's debut has there been a sitcom that I didn't want to turn of in a matter of 2 minutes. It has of course been said that The Simpsons killed the sitcom. Not this one though.

The first season was so so as the teenage characters were not quite as outrageous as they later became. They even went to school sometimes. The following seasons the character where fledged out. Eric, the sarcastic twit, Donna, his levelheaded girlfriend, Kelso, the dim bulb, Hyde, the conspiracy theorist and anti-establishment punk, Fez, the pervert exchange student and finally Jackie, the spoiled rich floozy. As for the adult characters there was Eric's mom, the "can you believe she is so ditzy" suburban mom, Eric's dad, the straight arrow who of course wasn't such a hard ass as he seemed, Donna's goofy dad and her dumb blonde mom. Everybody are true to their characters but special kudos to Kurtwood Smith who finds the perfect balance between toughness and still makes his Red Forman quite sympathetic without making us throw up with unexpected cuteness.

Topher Grace is of course the main reason why this show is so good. It's a tough character to play because it doesn't allow the actor to indulge in wild overacting like the Kelso character, played competently by Ashton Kutcher. I enjoyed seeing the two characters interact because they are the most different.

Hyde's character is a bit harder to enjoy because he is more realistic and do we really need to see the orphan story for the umpteenth time, although I will say that the writers came up with a brilliant story arc for him in the last seasons.

Jackie, played by Family Guy voice artist Mila Kunis is hilarious and she has a nails on a chalkboard type voice, which actually fits her character. The only sad part is that we didn't see more scenes with her and Eric because they were f...... hilarious together. Too much story was wasted on her relationship problems since we already got that in spades with Eric and Donna.

Last I will say that the casting of guest actors were always great. A few favorites: Fez' humongous girlfriend in the mid-seasons, Pastor Dan, the totally awesome Leo played by the equally awesome Thomas Chong, another one of Fez' girlfriends who is totally certifiable and a special appearance by the teenage witch Sabrina as a slutty catholic girl.

Coming up next on Fox, whatever.
  • markbowen31 January 2008
    I've tried to watch this show several times, but for a show called "That '70s Show," I don't find much apart from a few haircuts and the occasional reference to disco that actually evokes the '70s -- the decade in which I grew up. Of the episodes I have seen, most of the plots and jokes could be set in any time period. Take away the novelty of (supposedly) being set in the '70s, and the show is neither interesting nor funny.

If you're looking for a show that more successfully represents the experience of youth in America in the '70s, in my humble opinion you can do no better than "The Wonder Years."
  • OK I liked this show WHEN IT WAS FUNNY!!!! It's not really funny anymore. All they do is have all the kids hang out at the Forman's house. AND ERIC DOESN'T LIVE HERE ANYMORE!!!! You know the show has really start to go downhill since Eric and Kelso left. I don't even know why Kelso left! These two people are the main reason why ANYONE watched this show in the first place. If they get rid of Fez now they can cancel the show and be done with it ( I mean who wants to watch Red,Kitty,Donna,Jackie,Bob,Hyde,and his STRIPPER WIFE?) And they never go anywhere or do anything. They just hang out in the basement. Oh joy. Maybe they should change it to ''That Basement Show'' Some decades never die. Sadly it's time for this one to go.
    I just finished watching the entire series of "That '70s Show" and I have to say that this show, in retrospect, isn't very funny, much less worth owning. It's a show better watched episodically and only in the context of where it was originally shown on TV beside other, much better shows, than straight through on its own as it is available now on DVD. While I'm sure that sounds incredibly obvious, I, perhaps wrongly, can't help but compare this show to "Friends," which is very similar albeit a much more successful and funnier sitcom.

I stuck through watching "That '70s Show" in its entirety to see what the characters would amount to and because I enjoyed Eric and Donna's relationship. Their relationship seemed the one interesting and believable aspect to the entire show and as if it would actually develop and go onto something, moving the show out of the Forman residence. Alas, it seems like due to the producers not knowing how long the show would run for, which cast members would leave, the show as a whole suffers, failing to deliver on any of the relationships or allowing any sort of drama to move the show forward: we're essentially stuck in the Forman's basement for eight years.

From Season 5 onward we begin to tire of the characters and their limited dynamics, giving rise to a genuine doubt that these characters will make any sort of worthwhile return for us. Everything begins to go downhill from this point onward when we fail to invest in the characters.

In the midst of the degeneration of the show's plot and its comedy, the show begins to lose direction and flounders with bad writing, awful jokes and pointless episodes that lack so greatly as to make the last couple seasons not worth the time, despite some surprise guest appearances. By the last season, its two funniest and vital characters absent (Eric and Kelso), it's apparent that the show is running on fumes and it finally stalls out completely with a carelessly and poorly construed finale that is both disappointing and abrupt.

All in all, I feel the show's best moments are in its initial seasons where the personalities and settings are novel and fresh and there seems to be potential. This show lasted for eight seasons due to its great cast and production but could have gone longer and not lost cast members had the writers been more daring and cared more about the characters. Granted, I can see how this show was hard to write as it was primarily about very similar white kids in a remote location with nothing to do, but I guess it's on the creators of the show for setting themselves up for such a challenging premise.

Nonetheless, the show is what it is.
  • I have never understood the appeal of this show. The acting is poor (Debra Jo Rupp and the actor who plays her on-screen husband being two notable exceptions), the plots of most episodes are trite and uninspiring, the dialogue is weak, the jokes unfunny and it is painful to try and sit through even half an episode. Furthermore the link between this show and the '70s' is extremely tenuous beyond the style of dress and the scenery and background used for the show -it seems to be nothing more than a modern sitcom with the same old unfunny, clichéd scripts that modern sitcoms have dressed up as depicting a show from twenty years ago in the hope that it will gain some nostalgic viewers or something like that. Both "Happy Days" and "The Wonder Years" employ the same technique much more effectively and are actually a pleasure to watch in contrast to this horrible, pathetic excuse for a show
  • This is tough to call a sit com. There's nothing funny in anything I've ever seen.

And nothing relative to anyone who ever lived in the seventies.

The show is completely alien to lifestyles and comedy of the seventies. There isn't one character anyone outside of Hollywood can relate to.

Trying to find an asset to this show is like finding a needle in a haystack, exactly. There probably is one, but the show is so dull, and the characters so dull and unrecognizable, that you couldn't possibly care.

Sad to think that a hundred years from now, some future soul will watch this and think the seventies decade was anything like this. It wasn't. It's written and performed by Hollywood brats who have more control and power than they should. They abuse their control with giving us their lack of inspiration over and over.

Such is the case with this pathetic show. If anyone reads this a few centuries from today, let it be known that the show was for a few rich kids, and had nothing to do with anyone else.