User Reviews (2,313)

• I am making 100% sure I don't in any way reveal the surprise twist in this film--too many have and I think those people are evil. So, if you know THE twist, you'll probably not enjoy the film nearly as much when you first see it. But, if you haven't, it's a heck of an enjoyable film.

Haley Joel Osment delivers a truly amazing performance considering his age. He is THE reason the film works as well as it does and I wish the Oscar folks had given him some sort of special award to honor his great work. And, in addition, I can't believe I am saying this, but Bruce Willis and the director, M. Night Shyamalan, were at the top of their game as well. The other huge star here is the writing--and it was superb because it was so original, creative and the story bears many repeated viewings as each one reveals yet another layer of complexity.

By the way, while nominated for six Oscars, the movie somehow won none. Instead, the darkly cynical "American Beauty" carried off five of the trophies--though I really didn't think this winner was nearly as good a movie. Good, yes...but not great like "The Sixth Sense"....provided some moron didn't tell you THE secret.
  • I have to say I am not a fan generally of M Night Shyamalan's films, but I absolutely loved The Sixth Sense. It is a beautifully made film with an afterlife that is anything but angels and harps, and the score has lots of subtlety and atmosphere to it. The script is chilling, intelligent and poignant and the story complete with a knockout twist ending(easily the best and only wholly believable ending of Shyamalan's movies) is simplicity at its finest. Shyamalan's direction is wonderfully controlled, which is exactly what the story needed. Haley Joel Osment gives perhaps his best performance here, though he's superb in AI too, while Toni Collette plays the troubled mum very convincingly and Bruce Willis is suitably quiet and reflective. Overall, a wonderful film and Shyamalan's best by a mile in my opinion. 10/10 Bethany Cox
    My latest outing to the local multiplex was to see this, the second biggest horror film of 1999 after THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT. Unfortunately for me, the film had already been ruined partially by trailers, which give away all the key moments of the film. I for one could do without them, as I spent most of the time waiting for the kid to say "I see dead people", "...all the time" and "she's standing by my window". Seeing as these are the best moments of the film, a lot of the impact was softened.

Saying that, THE SIXTH SENSE is still an expertly-crafted, entertaining film with some great acting (something lacking in a lot of recent blockbusters), and I'm glad that it's enjoying huge success at the moment - hopefully horror film-makers will turn their minds to something a bit more insightful and psychological rather than the latest gore fest. This is an extremely slow-moving film with no action in it whatsoever, no screaming girls being chased by maniacs, just important dialogue and realistic people in real situations. There are plenty of reasons to watch the film for. When we eventually start seeing the 'ghosts' that Cole himself sees, there is ample opportunity for some chills, and the ghosts themselves are really quite frightening - both in their behaviour, and of course their gory looks. These spooks are of the kind THE HAUNTING remake could have done with.

The acting is of the highest calibre, with a relatively unknown cast headed by that great action star, Bruce Willis. Willis turns in his most sombre, thoughtful performance ever, and surprised many people who didn't realise he could actually act. In fact I would say that this the best I've ever seen him - his character is sympathetic, and Willis really does excel himself in portraying a believable, faded and disheartened man. Toni Collette also puts in a good role as the frustrated mother of Cole, and even though she doesn't play a likable character and has a relatively supporting role in the proceedings, she remains a totally believable and understandable character, and the same can be said of Olivia Williams. However, it's Haley Joel Osment who really shines as the star of the piece, and his acting is spot on, conveying a boy totally in fear of his own unnatural abilities, and who labels himself a 'freak'. Thankfully, Osment doesn't get too many opportunities to do 'cute' scenes, which I was grateful for.

Aside from the many genuine chills at Cole's revelations that he can see dead people, there are a few too many 'jump' scenes for my liking, where somebody brushes past the camera and somebody screams. A variation on the cat in the cupboard, really. However what seems to be initially an average film is suddenly boosted by the now famous twist in the tale, which really changes your entire perception of the film and makes you think about how clever it was long after the images have faded from the screen. This ending was brilliant, one of the best I've seen, and I should probably watch the film again now that I know the outcome, in order to spot all the clues, as it were. THE SIXTH SENSE may not be the greatest horror film ever, but it's one of the best we've had in a long time.
  • Child psychologist Malcolm Crowe (Bruce Willis) celebrates an award win with his wife Anna (Olivia Williams). Deranged ex-patient Vincent Grey (Donnie Wahlberg) breaks in and shots Malcolm. Vincent then commits suicide. The next fall, Malcolm is treating distressed Cole Sear (Haley Joel Osment) who lives with his single mom Lynn (Toni Collette). His suffering leaves him an outcast at school. After another episode leaves him in the hospital, he tells Malcolm his secret that he "sees dead people".

This is one of the best reveals in movie history. It's not simply a shocking twist. Anybody can write a random twist that aims to shock people. This twist is well-planned and constructed from the first moments of the film. Shyamalan lays out not only clues but the right amount of clues. It is a twist that people are unlikely to foresee but then beat themselves for not forseeing it. He gets the perfect balance.

The other question is whether this is a good movie without the twist. The great thing is that the intensity does not rely on the twist. HJO has the perfect wise innocence quality. It has great creepiness. It's a traditional ghost story and a well made one. The intensity ramps up as the ghosts reveal themselves. This would be one of the great horrors even without the twist.
  • I rented this and watched it around midnight a couple years ago. This film, like "Poltergeist," has contributed a line to the eternal world of cinema: "I see dead people." I will not spoil this for someone that has not seen it. My comments are on the craftsmanship that is this film. It starts with Haley Joel Osment, who will go down as one of our great child actors. He has the vulnerability and pain that expresses itself so well. His continual bouts with his "gift" bring him more pain. He gets an ally in Bruce Willis's character, and they begin to face things together. Unfortunately, like most movies that present something supernatural, a set of rules apply to the world and it these rules that make it fairly easy to pull this down. However, I would rather have them craft it as best they can than try to keep consistent in every aspect. Like "Memento" which I saw pretty close to the same time, I don't want to think too much or the fine fabric of the film starts to unravel. How's that for cowardice?
    "The Sixth Sense" is a film written and directed by M. Night Shyamalan and usually seen as his best work. It runs for slightly over 100 minutes. The director also appears himself in the film again just like he usually does. I personally believe, however, that "Signs" is still his best work to this day. I have to say I enjoyed the first half of "The Sixth Sense" more than the second. It feels more intimate with basically the whole first half (after the shooting) being communications between Willis' and Osment's characters. If you know the final twist, it does not hurt the film at all. It even makes the interaction between Willis' character and his ex-wife more interesting: the Zoloft, her not speaking except "Happy anniversary!"... I've seen this film two or three times already and I always find something new and intriguing about it. The second half with the play and the interactions between the boy and other dead people did not do so much for me.

The film scored six Academy Award nominations that year. The only one I'm a bit baffled by is Toni Collette's, who I did not find that memorable. And Osment is obviously lead and not supporting. Back in 1999, over 15 years ago, this was the second most successful film of the year at the box office, right behind the newest Star Wars film. I felt the film was at its weakest when it tried to go too much for horror instead of mystery thriller. Most of the dialogs were very well written, so no need to include any of the cheap thrills instead.

Funnily enough, I watched the Witherspoon/Ruffalo comedy "Just like Heaven" before "The Sixth Sense" and in a way they are both about seeing dead (or almost dead) people. Of course, this one here is much more serious in tone. I recommend it and believe you should have seen it at least once, even if it certainly has more rewatch value than most people will admit, even if you know the final development of Willis' character. (I myself have to say I did not see it coming the first time I watched this movie.) Oh and if you liked Osment's work here, make sure to check out some of his other films. He did not have a career as great as this suggested he could, at least not yet, but he is a talented young actor, just like his sister Emily.
    I do not know if I could ever watch this chilling movie ever again. It only took me 22 years to break down and see it. For Haley Joel Osment, it will keep his image alive forever as the sad little boy who softly declared that he sees dead people, much like "They're here!" kept Heather O'Rourke alive past her sadly short life. Reruns of "Murphy Brown" on Nick at Night made fun of the line in phony interviews with Candice Bergen, but like many famous lines in movie history, the subtle way the line is said is often dramatically altered. I see now why this is considered one of the scariest thrillers of all time, more psychological than horrific and definitely a different type of scary movie that shows the ghosts for their ongoing pain than for going out of their way to haunt people.

This has to also be the greatest, most subtle performance in the career of Bruce Willis, soft spoken and in fear of the unknown, Haunted early on by a patient who shot him then killed himself over apparent drug addiction. Osment doesn't utter this line until 50 minutes into the movie, and when he does actually see the dead people, you can't help but feel sorry for them. A few do seem subtly demonic, but the dead who appear to them are often more wounded emotionally than the living, and yet appear as if evil forces have put up a barrier to keep them from finding peace.

The narrative is a bit too complex at times, but once you have grasped what's happening, it's smooth sailing as far as viewing goes if not in grasping everything that is going on. It could take several viewings to really comprehend all that happens but I have grasped enough to move on. The film seems to be a big circle of circumstance, and the mystery is in connecting everything together. Could Osment really be the child version of Willis or is he really a ghost himself? The possibilities for twists in this are endless, but there has to be just one conclusion which makes this all the more chilling. Toni Collette and Olivia Williams are perfect support. It is a film that starts with a mystery, turns to be horror, and quickly twists and turns to be a spiritual thriller that will have you thinking about it for hours after it is over.
  • Award winning child psychologist Malcolm Crowe is confronted and shot by an ex-patient. Years later he has recovered from this experience and begins to treat a child who suffers from similar problems. The young boy, Cole, claims to see dead people and requires Crowe's constant attention - to the detriment of his marriage. With Cole becoming increasingly scared and withdrawn, Crowe is his last hope.

This film is an old-fashioned ghost story, replacing gore with a genuine spooky atmosphere. The story is deceptively simple and plays almost innocently for the whole film until Cole's visions are revealed. The true genius of the story isn't revealed until the final twist when we see how we have been duped by a good director! Even without the twist, this is still a good film - the story of Cole is well done and is chilling and frightening sometimes. However it is also quite human, as it is essentially the story of Cole overcoming his fears.

Willis delivers a careful, understated performance. His choices in recent years have been remarkably good (with some exceptions). This is just yet another great role from a man who's career looked like it was dying after "striking distance" and "colour of night". He hits just the right note here. I'm not a big fan of child actors as a rule, but Osment is really good here - never falling into the "cute child" category. I don't know if he should have got the Oscar, but he's still good. The rest of the cast are good, but really it's the central relationship between Willis and Osment that makes this film.

The plot may have some holes in (some ghosts hang around where they died, one comes to find Cole etc), but overall this is very good. The director weaves an interesting story that stands on its own, but makes it even more memorable by challenging how we accept and assume things in movies by delivering a great, clever twist at the end.
    I have to admit, when I saw this film the first time, I never saw the twist coming. I'm thinking now I should have, like I should have been paying closer attention to the principals and their relationship to each other, but somehow they sneaked one past me. This film and "Unbreakable" made me a Shyamalan fan for a time, but then he went ahead and squandered it with "The Village" and "Lady in the Water", but that's another story.

Movie fans tuning in expecting to see a down and out horror flick here might come away disappointed. It's got some scary stuff to be sure, but I don't think that was the point. What the director was going for here was a treatment of the life after death theme, and the concept of lost souls hanging around until their mission in life has been accomplished. Watching the picture a second time, the clues become obvious, as when Dr. Crowe (Bruce Willis) responds to young Cole's (Haley Joel Osmont) question whether he was a good doctor - "Well, I used to be". 'Used' to be! Willis' character telegraphs the punch line for the viewer without making it overtly obvious, and that's the brilliance of the film.

I think this kid Osmont has a wonderful career ahead of him if he doesn't get sucked into the Britney Spears/Lindsay Lohan school of dysfunctional celebrity. Though he looked younger here than his actual age (11), I thought he did a superb job, especially during the heart wrenching admission when he confesses his ability to see 'dead people'. It was at that point that believers in the hereafter got on board with the theme of the film, that there's a life after death and that there are things that can't be rationally explained once a spirit passes on. Dr. Crowe realizes that it's time for him to move on once he's helped Cole get beyond his grief over a father that's abandoned him. In Cole Sear's case, it meant dealing with the visions of spirits who departed in conflicted circumstances instead of peacefully passing on.
  • Dr. Malcolm Crowe (Bruce Willis) is a Philadelphia psychiatrist meeting with Cole Sear (Haley Joel Osment), a boy who can - OK, I'll say it this one last time - see dead people. While too many horror flicks have relied on gore, this one relies on the subconscious, and other things that we don't realize. And of course, there's the ending. I literally did not see that coming, although there were a number of clues throughout the movie. All that I can say is, you are going to have your mind blown. M. Night Shyamalan truly created an impressive piece of cinema history here, and of his later movies, only "Unbreakable" came close to equalling this one's quality.

On another note, I think that it was appropriate that "The Sixth Sense" came out in 1999, when I was 15. It was named by Entertainment Weekly as one of the many movies that year that revolutionized the movie industry (along with "Election", "The Blair Witch Project", "American Beauty" and "Being John Malkovich"). Similarly, in 1967, when my parents were 15, movies such as "In the Heat of the Night", "Bonnie and Clyde" and "The Graduate" - all revolutionizing the movie industry - were released. Some things just work out perfectly.
  • jboothmillard20 September 2005
    You probably know the five human senses: Touch, Scent, Sight, Sound and Taste, and this is a terrifying idea for a sixth, from director M. Night Shyamalan (also starring as Dr. Hill). Basically Malcolm Crowe (Bruce Willis) is a child psychologist recently awarded, and on the same night visited by a mad ex-patient who wounds him by gunshot. A few months later Malcolm is visited by the troubled 9-year-old Cole Sear (Forrest Gump's Haley Joel Osment). He does not tell his secret for a while, but when he does, it is one of the iconic moments of the film, it was number 44 on 100 Years, 100 Quotes, "I see dead people". It is because of this he is a freak in school, and his mother Lynn (Toni Collette) is very concerned about his increasing problems. Malcolm is now trying to find out whether he is seeing things or not, and trying to rekindle his relationship with wife Anna Crowe (Olivia Williams). Also starring Saw II's Donnie Wahlberg as Vincent Gray, Glenn Fitzgerald as Sean, young Mischa Barton as Kyra Collins and Jurassic Park III's Trevor Morgan as Tommy Tammisimo. The film has a great conclusion as well with Cole's mother weeping at the idea of Cole seeing his Grandma, and Malcolm finding out why his wife has been ignoring him for so long, he wasn't wounded in that gunshot, he died. It was number 60 on 100 Years, 100 Thrills, and it was number 33 on The 100 Greatest Scary Moments. Very good!
  • This was hyped big-time when it came out and, if memory serves me, was a good conversation piece among those who saw it at the theater.

I didn't see it for a few years afterward, on tape and now on DVD. It was very good but I didn't find it as "the greatest movie ever" as some did. It is an involving story, however, and I've come to appreciate it more with multiple viewings. I've seen it three times, the last one looking for mistakes to disprove the surprise ending....but couldn't find any. The filmmakers covered their tracks. However, a couple of scenes were misleading. Those who have seen this movie know what I'm talking about. For those who haven't, I'm not going to spoil it here.

I enjoyed both Bruce Willis and Haley Joel Osment as the two leads. Willis has had many action-packed, profane macho roles in his career but I like him best when he's low key, as he is in here (and in "Unbreakable," to name another fairly-recent movie) The story is slow-paced but it sure is not boring. In a way, it's nice to see a slower-paced film be a big hit, as this was.

Osment, meanwhile, is a terrific child actor, as he has proved in other films. He's simply one of the best of his young generation. He and Dakota Fanning are the two best child actors I've seen in many years.

This isn't just some supernatural-horror movie. It's a nice human interest story. There is one scene late in the movie in which Osment's mom is having a talk with her young boy in the car. It is an extremely touching scene that brings tears - a great moment in the film.
    I realize this film had many good reviews. That's why I bought it. But it somehow managed to get by me without hooking me in. Its lack of impact had little to do with the acting, which is pretty good all around. Toni Collette is especially noteworthy. And Willis gives what is for him a subdued performance except, I have to say, that when he tries to grin with happiness or gets misty eyed with love, something within me begins to churn. The kid, Osment, is okay. Thank God he's not a cutie-pie.

The direction is deliberate but effective, supported by a semi-somnolent score that throws in a sting from time to time, as when the first ghost appears briefly, to wake the audience up.

The plot, alas, is a mish mash of overly familiar themes. Is it RIGHT to try to cure a kid who seems to know more than we do? (Cf., "Equus.") Even if the kid is frightened by the "dead people" he sees, who sometimes scream at him and scratch him? (Cf., "The Shining.") How come the kid speaks Latin? (Cf., "The Exorcist.") Or is this the momentary hallucination of someone who is dying? (Cf., "Incident at Owl Creek Bridge," or "Point Blank.") Who are these ghosts anyway? Why do they taunt the kid? Why does he see only tortured ones, people who have been hanged, poisoned, killed in car accidents, shot in the belly, or who slashed their wrists? Do they see each other? Do they eat and excrete? They seem to have the power to move objects in their environment. They can steal bumblebee pendants or scratch the kid.

They can, to give a more specific example, shove a box containing an incriminating tape out from under a bed and ask Osment to show the tape to their bereaved father. Well then why can't they themselves give Dad the box? Or leave it where he's bound to find it? If someone has done them dirt why must they use Osment as the middleman? Why not just kick ass?

Oh, and a final question. By the end of the film we know why Osment finally spills the beans to Willis, but why on earth hasn't he told his mother about it a long time ago? "I'm ready to communicate with you," he tells her solemnly when they're trapped in a traffic jam. Well, why now?

There is one way, though, in which the plot is cleverly constructed. In fact, the surprise revelation seems to have been thought of first and the entire movie structured around this anagnorisis. Yes, the story is as full of holes as a slice of Emmenthaler cheese but the whole point is the onion soup beneath. That climactic twist is a big relief in another way. Now we know why nobody wants to talk to Bruce Willis except Osment. And it's not his aftershave lotion.

It's a pretty gloomy picture actually, awfully low key, though the photography of Philadelphia is engaging. Willis and his wife, Olivia Williams, are shown admiring an award he has just won, as the film opens. They're drinking wine and joking about Dr. Seuss, but even then there's no exhilaration on the screen.

However, people seem to have given this film a cornucopia of plaudits so the weakness may be mine rather than the story's. There is no statistically significant difference between women and men in the user ratings -- he said confidently after merely eyeballing the results. I would have predicted a greater appeal for women. Maybe you'll get more out of it than I did.
  • Tweekums22 April 2015
    Dr Malcolm Crowe is a happily married, successful child psychologist, of course he isn't entirely successful and one of those children he couldn't help changes his life for ever when he breaks into Dr Crowe's house and shoots him before committing suicide. Some time later Dr Crowe has another young patient; a troubled boy named Cole; a boy with a secret. Cole reminds Crowe of the patient he failed; this time he is determined to succeed. At first he doesn't know what is troubling Cole; he suspects abuse but he has a loving mother and there are no other obvious suspects and there is definitely something strange about the boy; he knows things he should not know… mostly things involving people who died in unpleasant circumstances. That is Cole's secret; he sees dead people! Will Dr Crowe or anybody else be able to help him cope with his situation?

I doubt many people have managed to avoid this films main twist however just in case somebody has I won't spoil it here. The story is well told with details being drip fed to the viewer rather than everything being explained at once; indeed the 'I see dead people' revelation doesn't come until the film has almost reached the half way point. Bruce Willis is on top form as Dr Crowe but it is young Haley Joel Osment who dominates the film as Cole; a character who is gentle, somewhat troubled and at times more than a little creepy. The support cast, which includes Toni Collette as Cole's mother and Olivia Williams, who plays Dr Crowe's wife put in solid performances in their smaller roles. While this isn't a horror film there are some chilling moments but none too disturbing. Writer/director M. Night Shyamalan did a great job in what is probably still his best film… it is certainly the best of the ones I've seen. Overall I'd definitely recommend this; even if you've seen it before or know the twist it is worth watching as there new things to be spotted when you know certain facts.
  • The film focuses a child psychologist named Doctor Malcolm(Bruce Willis).One night, when the doctor and his spouse(Olivia Williams)find themselves their home, they are visited by a nutty patient and the tragedy take place. More later, the Doctor sees a traumatized young boy named Cole(Haley Joel Osment), he communicates with dead people who don't know they are dead. Cole's mummy(Tony Colette)is worried about her terrified son's nightmares ,increasing problems and episodes of acting out. Because of this, Cole is named geeky in the college where appear various dead people who ask his help.

The film provides creepy scenes, a well-knit drama, grisly terror when the living dead appear and suspenseful throughout.The flick contains the more famous plot twist from cinema history, because the ending leads to a breathtaking and unexpected outcome on what's happened before. For that reason , gets a highly original and imaginative script by Night Syamalan,-also director and secondary actor, as usual in his films-, and has been copied and imitated several times, such as, ¨Stir of Echoes¨(David Koepp) and ¨The others¨(Alejandro Amenabar). Acting by main actors is top notch, Bruce Willis is magnificent as restrained psychologist and Haley Joel Osment is awesome as traumatized little boy, carrying the movie on his frail shoulders; furthermore, appear future promising actors as Mischa Burton(OC) and Trevor Morgan . Mysterious and sinister cinematographic atmosphere is well made by Tak Fujimoto and eerie soundtrack by James Newton Howard, both are Shyalaman's usual collaborators. The motion picture is produced by famed Frank Marshall and Kathleen Kennedy(Spielberg's producers) and stupendously directed by M. Night Shyamalan.
  • BA_Harrison16 September 2013
    Watching The Sixth Sense for the first time is a seriously creepy experience topped off with one hell of a clever twist. Subsequent viewings might lack the same level of spookiness, and prior knowledge of the ending robs the film of its novelty factor, but hindsight still makes for a very interesting watch: knowing the twist means that the viewer sees the film from a different viewpoint, paying particular attention to the details, thereby driving home what a superb film this is, writer/director M. Night Shyamalan clearly having gone to great pains to ensure that all possible plot-holes can be satisfactorily explained.

Bruce Willis, taking a break from his usual tough-guy action roles, is excellent as child psychologist Dr. Malcolm Crowe, but the star's thunder is stolen by 11-year old Haley Joel Osment as Cole Sear, the child who can see dead people, who puts in an amazingly assured and thoroughly believable performance for one so young. Also making an impression are Toni Collette as Cole's concerned mother Lynn and Olivia Williams as Anna Crowe, Malcolm's wife.

Sadly, M. Night Shyamalan has earnt himself a pretty rotten reputation as a film-maker in recent years thanks to succession of box-office flops, but don't let that put you off checking out this wonderful film.
  • Bruce Willis looks appropriately grim throughout thriller about a child psychologist who attempts to help a troubled young boy who claims to see ghosts. Surprisingly popular other-worldly yarn (surprising because the film is so old-fashioned), it goes to sometimes hokey means to get a scare out of the audience, but is nevertheless very well-made and engrossing. Written and directed by M. Night Shyamalan, the picture is low-keyed, somewhat ambitious, but not very delicate, with plot-holes and moments where there seems to be no driving force behind the narrative; for such a deliberately-paced movie, Shyamalan doesn't show much grace, only technical finesse. "The Sixth Sense" is like a good "Night Gallery" episode: occasionally suspenseful, with solid, non-showy performances, but with the general feeling that we've been down this road before. **1/2 from ****
  • I was able to watch the Sixth Sense on DVD on its first release today. As enjoyable as this movie is, the 'extras' on the DVD make it twice as enjoyable. Included is a fine interview with the writer/director that helps put the whole story in perspective, which includes his personal and family influences.

The votes currently place this movie at about #23 on the top 250 movies of all time. That's probably a bit of an overrating, considering all the other fine movies in the list. However, for any person who sees it and loves it can also make a legitimate case that it is their favorite of all time.

My "review" doesn't really say anything about the story itself. That is because it is best viewed if you know nothing about it first. Except to say that it is one of the very few movies that gets high ratings from viewers of all ages, and genders! If you haven't yet, then see it. The DVD version if you can, and watch the extras after.

Jan 2007 update: I watched it again yesterday. Even though I knew the basic story, and how it would turn out, it was still a worthwhile re-watch. Night may never match his first effort.
  • Here comes Bruce Willis again in the skin of a rescuer! But unlike "the fifth element" and "armageddon", he mustn't save the whole wide world. Neither, must he save a group of persons from a terrorist threat as it was the case with "die hard. No, he simply must save a little boy called Cole, haunted by morbid visions and Willis, a reputable psychologist tries hard to heal him... With "fight club" and "the blair witch project", "the sixth sense" ranks among the best movies made in 1999. It also ranks among the movies that you must watch several times before really appreciating it. If you're watching this movie for the first time, you might be disappointed because there are numerous details that can escape your attention and however, they are important for the development of the story. The same thing can also be said for a few scenes, especially the one when Willis is in a restaurant with his wife facing him... Because the main strength of the movie is its screenplay. Rarely, a movie has been so well served by a watertight screenplay. It's disconcerting, disturbing and however perfectly coherent. For a long part, the movie is a beautiful "trompe l'oeil". On another hand, it's a pleasure to see Bruce Willis get out of his usual roles where he mostly plays the he-man. In "the sixth sense", it's obvious that he's between the hands of a conscientious and well-organized director. But he isn't the main center of the movie. This place goes to Haley Joel Osment. His performance in the role of a tormented and neurotic boy is extraordinary. Besides, he can be considered as a faraway cousin of Danny, the little boy in Kubrick's "shining" because they've got a common point: an odd power supernatural and all in all, the dead people who haunt Cole aren't so terrible as they look like: they're simply asking him for help... At the end, a fascinating movie held up by two great actors.
  • blanche-21 June 2000
    Fabulous film that demands a second, third and fourth viewing because of its structure. A concept that is brilliantly executed. It manages to scare and yet have realistic, warm characters the audience identifies with and cares about.
  • M. Night Shyamalan's The Sixth Sense is the best thriller of the year because it has an old fashioned ghost story put in with today's modern thriller. But what really sticks this film out (besides it's over 200 million gross and six academy award nominations) is the acting. Bruce Willis fits in well as a troubled psychiatrist trying to help out an even more troubled boy (played brilliantly by Haley Joel Osment) who has a gift in which he sees dead people. Filled with surprises, scares and great entertainment, this film is worth a look see.
  • SPOILER: Child psychologist Bruce Willis (as Malcolm Crowe) reaches a career peak when he receives the Philadelphia "Mayor's Citation" for professional excellence. Celebrating with beautiful young wife Olivia Williams (as Anna Crowe), Mr. Willis gets drunk, and does "Dr. Seuss" impressions. The happy couple retire to their bedroom, where they prepare for sex. But, after Ms. Williams begins a playful strip, mysterious sounds are heard in the bathroom. It's Willis' former boy patient, Donnie Wahlberg (as Vincent Grey), all grown up and stripped to his underwear (briefs). Obviously quite deranged, Mr. Wahlberg sobs, "You failed me!" and shoots both Willis and himself.

The next fall, Willis has apparently recovered from his gunshot wound - but, he feels guilty about failing to help Mr. Wahlberg overcome his childhood psychosis. Willis gets the chance to help another emotionally disturbed boy, unhappy Haley Joel Osment (as Cole Sear). Young Mr. Osment reminds Willis of the man who shot him. Osment is having trouble in school, startling teachers with bloody drawings and psychic abilities. Osment is bullied by his peers, who consider him a "freak". His mother, Toni Collette (as Lynn Sear), is struggling to make ends meet, after a messy divorce. After a few sessions, Osment reveals his anxiety producing secret, "I see dead people."

M. Night Shyamalan, who also wrote, does an admirable job directing this unpredictable ghost story; he, with photographer Tak Fujimoto, works storytelling wonders with the camera; even before the revelatory last act, witness how effectively the camera sets each mood. And, the "Best Director"-nominated Mr. Shyamalan elicits wonderful performances from his cast, especially from Osment; his is one of the era's all-time best kid characterizations. But, what a subtext - if you want your kids to grow up sane, without being repeatedly scratched and welted by abusive ghosts, don't you dare get a divorce!

********* The Sixth Sense (8/2/99) M. Night Shyamalan ~ Bruce Willis, Haley Joel Osment, Toni Collette, Olivia Williams
  • This film is about a child psychiatrist helping a distressed young boy who sees dead people.

"The Sixth Sense" has always been regarded as an extraordinary film by many. I have to say I enjoyed watching it, but I find it rather overrated. The thing that strikes me the most is Toni Collette's great acting as a troubled mother. She portrays her stress and distress well. For the plot itself, maybe it's because I already knew the ending when I watched it, I did pick up on the clues related to the ending twist. "The Sixth Sense" is enjoyable and engaging, but I did not find it as groundbreaking as other people think.
  • A child psychologist(Bruce Willis)comes to the aid of a young mother(Toni Collette), that is deeply concerned about her son(Haley Joel Osment). The young boy not only sees dead people, but seems to be able to communicate with them as well. This is a complex thriller. It is well written and gives your imagination a work out.

Young Osment steals the show from Willis. Also in this psychological brain teaser is Donnie Wahlberg, Mischa Barton and Lisa Summerour.

Catch it a second time to see what you thought you saw the first time.
    The Sixth Sense is a psychological horror film that features Bruce Willis,Haley Joel Osment and Toni Collette. Added to that,it was written and directed by M. Night Shyamalan.The movie tells the story of Cole Sear, a troubled, isolated boy who is able to see and talk to the dead, and an equally troubled child psychologist who tries to help him that established Shyamalan as a writer and director, and introduced the cinema public to his traits, most notably his affinity for surprise endings.

Dr. Malcolm Crowe is a child psychologist whose new patient has a problem far outside his usual area of expertise. Cole Sear is six-years- old and claims to see the spirits of dead people all around him. It seems that Cole has psychic powers and can channel the ghosts of those who were troubled. Cole doesn't understand his powers, and he has little control over them; he's constantly terrified by what he sees, and Dr. Crowe is the only one with whom he feels he can share this secret. However, as the doctor digs deeper into Cole's strange powers, it leads to strange and unexpected consequences for both of them.

An excellent premiere for new director as he packs a punch with a great story, excellent directing, a great cast, great performances, and a surprise ending that will leave you breathless for days on end. Osment is excellent, as is Bruce Willis, as a melancholy child psychologist scarred by his failure with a similarly haunted youth, and Toni Collette, as the boy's fiercely loyal mother.It was a twisty ghost story with all the style of a classical Hollywood picture but all the chills of a modern horror flick that deserves the highest rating.