Theatrical release includes a scene where Brenda is in a movie theater watching Shakespeare in Love (1998) and says of Gwyneth Paltrow: "Brad Pitt's ex-girlfriend is a real freak. She dressed up like a man." After the initial release, producer Harvey Weinstein allegedly changed his mind about the joke, feeling that it was disrespectful to Paltrow and requested its removal future versions of the picture. On all home-video and foreign releases the offending line has been redubbed to "She's about to get it on with Shakespeare. She dressing like a man."
Director Keenen Ivory Wayans shot alternate footage of most racy/explicit scenes for the TV version.
The DVD has six additional scenes:
- Hop Along Shorty: a love scene for Marlon Wayans' character, Shorty
- Ray Calls A Play: an extended scene on the football field
- Bobby's Lesson: an added part to Bobby and Cindy's love scene
- Gail gets surveillance camera: a scene similar to the scene in the original Scream where Gail sets up a camera at the party
- Shorty Watches Girl on Surveillance Camera: Shorty thinks he's watching a horror movie but he is actually watching a murder
- Cindy's Last Stand: an extended ending
In the French version, two differences in dialogue are made in the beginning. When the killer says "I wanna see what your guts look like!" (or something to that effect), Drew replies "well, turn to the centrefold!" Killer: "Whats your favourite scary movie?" Drew: Uh... 'Space Jam.' Killer: That's not a scary movie! Drew: It is if you've seen Michael Jordan act!
A bootleg work-print version circulating after the film's theatrical release contained extra footage not present on the DVD. Here are some of the differences:
- The work-print has been panned and scanned from the Super-35 negative (you can tell because when Gail shoots the boy behind her, you see the crash pad he lands on)
- When Cindy, Buffy and Brenda are arriving at school there's a extended talk scene, where's Buffy tells that she saw in the newspaper a horrible picture of Drew died wearing clothes that doesn't match
- In the work-print, just before Doofy tells the crowd of reporters that "Gail swallows", he asks if anyone wants to smell his finger
- A short sequence in the work-print sees a hungry Shorty in the cafeteria saying, "I wonder what they have for lunch?" He then looks at the menus which say "Same old shit"
- Brenda's dialogue about Gwyneth Paltrow, where she says "Brad Pitt's ex-girlfriend is a real freak, she dressed up like a man" was present in the work-print
- The sequence with Drew's boyfriend was different in the work-print. The boyfriend was different, and the editing was slightly altered in comparison to the DVD
- "Bobby's Lesson", one of the deleted scenes on the DVD, was integrated into the movie in the work-print
- The black news reporter in the van speaks with his original voice; he is dubbed for most of his lines in the official release. He doesn't say "reporting live for Black TV", but instead says "reporting live for B.E.T."
- The Budweiser advert parody was not in the work-print
- More sexual jokes about Cindy's mom were made just before Cindy comes to see the principal in the work-print. At one point, the Sheriff gets on the table and thrusts into it, pretending to be having sex, and as Cindy walks in the principal says something along the lines of "well, thanks for clearing up my back problem, Sheriff."
- Just after this, a little more dialogue between Doofy and the principal was present in the work-print
- The scene where the killer phones someone and asks what their favorite scary movie is wasn't in the work-print
- Buffy's death was more gory in the work-print, including her intestines being pulled out and her head talking after it is dumped in Lost & Found
- When Cindy asks Bobby about a PG-13 relationship, when she opens her night gown she has has six nipples
- Cindy's scream at the end was longer in the work-print and the shot just cuts to black so we don't see her get run over
- When the man on the roof kills himself, after Cindy screams, "What are you waiting for, huh?!", the work-print loses a cutaway to the man saying to himself, "What am I waiting for?" before he jumps off
In the German version the answer to the Killer's question "What's your favourite scary movie?" is changed from "Kazaam" to "Spice World", mocking the Spice Girls' acting instead of Shaq's.
The US VHS version shows the penis through the head scene a few seconds longer than the DVD.