User Reviews (153)

• Martin Lawrence is often trusty in the world of comedy. Maybe I'm just overcoming his awful "Blue Streak," but I felt this comedy--though saggy at times--was quite funny. The premise is undoubtedly implausible. How's a whole neighborhood going to believe that this undercover cop with a latex body that looks somewhat like Big Momma is actually Big Momma? There's a lot of disbelief to suspend. But the gags often worked and I can say I laughed about 75 percent of the time. Some are predictable, like when Big Momma takes a karate class and starts beating the teacher--played by Anthony Anderson--to a pulp, but they still work due to the way they're handled. And Lawrence turns in yet another fine comic performance, with a script that could've used a rewrite but was nowhere near as bad as the crackerjack script he had to work with in "Blue Streak." The talented comic helps keep the movie togehter, with a little assistance from the supporting cast. Paul Giamatti, who was great as Pig Vomit in the acclaimed "Private Parts," is funny as Lawrence's partner. We also have "Me Myself and Irene's" Anthony Anderson and Cedric the Entertainer.

The plot is chaotic, sometimes predictable, and becomes more and more implausible by the minute but the comedy works and because of that we're able to excuse the script's shortcomings. "Big Momma" doesn't deliver the biggest laughs, but it's good, fun entertainment on a lonely weekday afternoon.

My score: 7 (out of 10)
  • This was a surprisingly good comedy, despite the predictability of it and the typically-sappy Hollywood ending. Nevertheless, this film has a bunch of laugh- out-loud scenes and jokes and Martin Lawrence is a likable guy. He has the ability to make us laugh just by making goofy faces. His best were when he was trapped in the bathroom behind the shower curtain when the real "Big Momma" (Ella Mitchell) was taking a dump a few feet away! The looks of Lawrence's face during that period were hilarious!

Lawrence eventually dresses as a big fat woman and provides laughs doing so. Ever since the early days of television and Milton Berle, people have laughed at men dressing up imitating women. Pretending to be a 300-pound woman makes it even funnier.

Throw in a pretty female lead (Nia Long) and a little drama to go along with the yuks and it winds up being a decent movie.
  • Why did I rent this movie? I don't really appreciate Martin Lawrence, not his old TV show nor his stand-up routine. But I did rent it nonetheless, fearing that I'd wasted my $2.99 after returning home.

My fears were ungrounded. This movie is actually funny, hysterically so in a few scenes. Not to mislead the reader, I have to state that this movie is nothing great; it's actually just a trifle. Just suspend all belief as Lawrence portrays an FBI agent who dons a fat-suit in order to impersonate the 350-pound aunt of the lovely young suspect Lawrence and his partner are tailing. Of course, no one, not even the aunt's suitor, can tell the difference. If you can get by this absurd premise, "Big Momma's House" contains some really rib-tickling slapstick. When Lawrence, while impersonating Big Mama, is required to mid-wife a birth...that scene alone is worth the $2.99.
  • Think of a Mrs. Doubtfire meets the Nutty Professor hybrid, with a smattering of Kindergarten Cop thrown in for good measure, and you've pretty much got Big Momma's House. Except the former three are all reasonable films, and, unfortunately, Big Momma's House just isn't.

When dangerous convict Howard Laster (Terrence Dashon) escapes from prison, undercover cop Malcolm (Martin Lawrence) is sent with fellow FBI agent John (Paul Giamatti) to track down Laster's ex-girlfriend Sherry (Nia Long), in the hope of luring the armed robber back in the direction of the slammer. This involves staking out the house of Sherry's Southern grandmother 'Big Momma', but when the latter leaves town Malcolm feels compelled to take on her guise, with the help of a few prosthetics and some extra padding. Things take a complicated turn, however, when Malcolm begins to fall for the beautiful, yet unknowing, Sherry.

The film bounds along like an enthusiastic dog, with the script acting as little more than a vehicle for Big Momma's 'hilarious' antics and various escapades. The action often degenerates into uninspired gross-out comedy and toilet humour as Big Momma stumbles from one rib-tickling predicament to the next, with Malcolm often only being saved by the former's reputation as a lovable and outlandish character. Big Momma attends a self-defence class. Big Momma has nasty moments on the toilet. Big Momma plays basketball. And Big Momma delivers a baby. Cue many moments of roll-in-the-aisles hilarity. Or not.

Unfortunately, convict Howard is soon forgotten as the film focuses almost solely on Lawrence, and seriously begins to grate as Big Momma's Southern screeches make up about 95% of the dialogue. The slowly developing romance between Malcolm and Sherry is also guaranteed to make audiences cringe with it's predictability.

Lawrence and Giamatti make the best of a bad job, although the audience are left wondering exactly why they took on the roles in the first place, whilst Dashon is convincing as Evil Criminal on the Loose. Predictably, all characters are shockingly two-dimensional, but to be fair, Big Momma's House does at least generate some laughs along the way.

It is difficult to see specifically who this film is aimed at, but there must be some attraction, judging by a high-grossing opening weekend in the States. However, non-existent plot and character development will ensure that many of the audience leave disappointed. Only to be seen by those who know what they're letting themselves in for.
  • Big Momma's House is directed by Raja Gosnell, written by Darryl Quarles and Don Rhymer, and stars Martin Lawrence, Paul Giamatti, Nia Long & Terrance Howard. Lawrence plays FBI Agent Malcolm Turner who goes undercover as "Big Momma" Hattie Mae Pierce (Ella Mitchell), so as to hopefully snare escaped convict Lester Vesco (Howard). "Big Momma" is the aunt of Vesco's ex-wife, Sherry (Long), who is on her way to "Big Momma's" to hide out after hearing of Lester's escape.

In spite of baffling critics-and not finding many casual film viewers willing to say they enjoyed it! the film was a surprise hit and opened as the number two movie in North America. It went on to gross over $117 million at the box office and subsequently ensured that a sequel would follow down the line (it arrived in 2006). The film isn't pretending to be anything other than the mindless comedy it is. If viewed on those terms then it can be enjoyed. Sure some of the gags are puerile, and Lawrence is an acquired taste, tho his energy and comedy timing are first rate here. But it does work to a degree. It's been done better in the likes of Tootsie and Mrs. Doubtfire, and the plot, with it's boorish romantic strand, is merely an excuse for "Big Momma" to get into daft scrapes. Yet the action is nicely staged and the pace of the piece never sags. There's also fun to be had in watching Giamatti & Howard looking like they just know they should be doing better stuff than this!.

Forgettable juvenile fluff for sure, but likable enough; in that brain at the door-bucket of popcorn-way. 6/10
  • I was in my early teens when this was released ten years ago, and I never heard of it at the time. In early 2006, I went to the theatre while this movie's sequel, "Big Momma's House 2", was playing, but since I had never seen the original by this point and could see that the sequel was widely hated, it was obviously not the movie I was going to see. Instead, I went to see "The Matador" on that particular trip to the movie theatre. It took me over four years after that to get around to watching the original "Big Momma's House", and just before seeing it, I had low expectations, thinking it would probably be a very unfunny comedy, even if it wasn't absolutely terrible. However, while it's unsurprisingly not that great, I did laugh.

Malcolm Turner is an FBI agent who is very skilled in disguising himself for undercover operations. After it is announced that a murderer and robber named Lester Vesco has just escaped from prison, where he was serving his life sentence, Malcolm and fellow FBI agent John Maxwell are sent to catch him. The FBI believes that the criminal's ex-girlfriend, Sherry Pierce, was also involved in criminal activity, but they haven't been able to prove it. Malcolm and John go to the neighbourhood in Georgia where Sherry's morbidly obese grandmother, Hattie Mae Pierce (a.k.a. Big Momma) lives, and begin to spy on her. Sherry is on her way to her grandmother's house with her son, Trent, but before they arrive, Big Momma leaves town unexpectedly, so Malcolm decides to pose as the feisty elderly woman! He takes on her lifestyle while trying to get the truth from Sherry, and also finds himself falling for the criminal's ex-girlfriend!

Before it is announced that Lester has escaped from prison and Malcolm and John go to spy on Big Momma's house, the film begins with the two FBI agents busting a dog fight, and I guess parts of this sequence are somewhat funny, but no more than that. The film continues to be mostly straight-faced after this, as we learn about the escaped prisoner, the two agents are sent on their mission, and Malcolm disguises himself as Big Momma. The early part where Malcolm has to hide in the shower while Big Momma defecates is memorable, but not in a good way. For a while, it didn't seem like I would be able to give "Big Momma's House" a rating higher than 5/10. I frequently snickered, but it didn't look like I would ever find any BIG laughs in the film. However, that eventually changed. While it's still not that consistent later on, it certainly can be funny with the things Malcolm has to do while in disguise, including a baby delivery. The scene with Sherry seeing Malcolm as himself and the FBI agent claiming to be a handyman is also a really funny part. The story and characters can also be interesting.

This 2000 release is definitely not generally considered one of the great modern-day comedies, and after seeing it, I can understand why, but I've seen much worse excuses for comedy. I wouldn't have been too surprised if I had thought "Big Momma's House" was really lame when I watched it, but while I'm sure many people think it is, I can't say I do. It is uneven, but sometimes funny. Also, there isn't nearly as much juvenile toilet humour in the movie as that one defecation scene suggests! Martin Lawrence plays the lead role here. I haven't seen him in any other film and have only seen a bit of his stand-up comedy, so I'm not that familiar with his work, but think he does a pretty good job with his performance here. This film is a little cheesy and doesn't have the most original plot, and more thought could have been put into the ending as well, but if you want a silly, raunchy comedy, this particular one might work, at least in some parts.
  • sc803128 August 2008
    Martin Lawrence goes undercover in a suburb of Georgia as an overweight southern grandmother in "Big Momma's House". It's up there with "Black Knight" and "Blue Streak" as a ridiculous, predictable and stupid yet charmingly funny Martin Lawrence vehicle. Some of the dialog is almost non-sensical and seems to rely on Martin Lawrence's improvisational, uh... skills. Of course, why nobody recognizes that their friend/mother (Big Momma) is being impersonated horribly, I don't know. But that sort of adds to the movie I guess.

The story here doesn't matter that much. Really, it doesn't. Paul Giamatti plays the signature goofy white partner, who occasionally gets pushed around by the neighborhood locals to much comedic success (it is actually pretty funny, if predictable, like everything else here). Nia Long reprises her typical role as the love interest, and then a bunch of goofy physical stunts are taken from "Mrs. Doubtfire" and given a slightly different flair -- playing on southern black stereotypes (deep fried home cooking, going to church, etc.).

This movie is cheesy and ridiculous. I don't think you even need to watch the whole thing, nor watch it twice (though there is a sequel, and seeing that would basically be watching this movie twice). But for what it is, it's pretty goofy and entertaining.

4.5
    Formulaic plagiarism: This film copies Mrs Doubtfire - man in a dress has problems with fake face and pretends the quick fix is a "beauty treatment", in this case needs tape to fix said fake face and in Mrs Doubtfire's case needing whipped cream.

This film copies Kindergarten Cop - single male law enforcer pretends to be someone else to investigate a single mother who is suspected of having stolen money. The single mother in each case is running from a bad guy who lied to them and wasn't really who they thought he was. Each guy also lied about the women having stolen money so the bad guys could get their kids. Then the 'hero' protects and falls in love with attractive single mother (and son) and wins them over in the end even though he lied and thought she was a criminal. Coincidentally the hero also finds out the truth behind the "stolen money" story right before the bad guy turns up and takes the woman and child hostage.

Unfunny stems from the fact that making fun of overweight people is supposedly funny and most of the 'jokes' were done better and first in other films.
  • When you have a movie with a title like "Big Momma's House", you shouldn't expect high art. I certainly wasn't, but sometimes that's okay - sometimes you just want an excuse to laugh.

Still, I have to admit that I was somewhat disappointed with what they did here. The fault lies with the screenplay. For starters, it is not exactly original. While I wouldn't call this movie a blatant rip-off of "Stakeout", in several regards it's too close to that earlier movie for its own good. Speaking of familiar, another problem I had was that too many of the gags involving Lawrence as the cross-dressing FBI agent I had more or less seen in other movies before. Plus, the movie devotes far too much time to this than fleshing out the story - if what's here could be considered a story.

On the positive side, the movie is filled with energy, both in front of and behind the camera. There's enough energy that some viewers not wanting to think while watching a movie might find the enterprise enjoyable enough. If that sounds like you, you'll probably find this movie adequate. If you want more nutrition in your cinematic diet, look elsewhere.
    J. Edgar Hoover would spin in his grave if he saw how the Federal Bureau of Investigation nabs their nemesis in director Raja Gosnell's "Big Mama's House." This boisterous but barely original drag comedy thriller casts comedian Martin Lawrence as a streetwise, gung ho FBI agent who disguises himself as a rambunctious 325-pound African-American grandmother in Georgia so he can capture an escaped murderer out to recover $2-million in missing loot from a bank robbery. Although not nearly as exciting as "Blue Streak," "Big Momma's House" is a hundred times funnier. When Martin Lawrence transforms himself with prosthetics and padding into obese grandmother Hattie May Pierce, "Big Momma's House" makes up for all its lapses in logic with loads (and lards) of laughter.

When Sherry Pierce (Nia Long of "Soul Food") learns that her deadly ex-boyfriend, convicted bank robber Lester Vesco (suave Terrence Howard of "Pride"), has bluffed his way out of prison and is on the prowl, she packs up her young son Trent (Jascha Washington of "Three Strikes"), and they leave Los Angeles. Lester wants to retrieve the $2-million in cash that he stole from the bank. The authorities have suspected for a long time that Sherry may have helped him, but because they never found the loot they have left her alone. Meanwhile, the FBI has anticipated Sherry's move to contact her grandmother in Cartersville, Georgia, so they dispatch agents Malcolm Turner (Martin Lawrence) and his white partner John (Paul Giamatti of "Sideways") to set up an around-the-clock surveillance on Hattie May Pierce (Ella Mitchell of "Lord Shango"). Just as Sherry rolls into town, Hattie May rolls out to tend a sick friend. Desperately, afraid they will lose their only chance to catch Lester, Malcolm mimics Big Momma on the phone and encourages Sherry to visit her. Feverishly, Malcolm and John whip together an unconvincing replica of Hattie May that Malcolm wears to hoodwink the gullible Sherry.

Martin Lawrence is the whole show in "Big Momma's House." If you love Lawrence (toned to a PG-13 rating), you'll laugh your ribs raw at his amusing antics. Most of "Big Momma's" humor springs from her rotund physique. The bathroom humor may offend some, but the scene where Malcolm's Hattie May delivers a baby with Cisco and a toilet plunger is alone worth watching. "Big Momma" proves that a crowd-pleasing comedy need not bow to logic. Hattie May on the basketball court trouncing two tough street kids at hoops; defeating a bumbling self-defense instructor; and give a sermon in church is funny but not for a moment believable. Martin Lawrence's energetic performance (as Martin again) overshadows these glaring mistakes.

"Never Been Kissed" director Raja Gosnell milks "Big Momma's House" strictly for laughs. Some scenes will split your sides if you aren't careful. Gosnell refuses to indulge himself on the action scenes. Further, he gives short shrift to Terrence Howard's felonious escapee. Howard hovers on the periphery but never makes a deep impression. Although the Feds classify Lester as a cold-blooded killer, he spares a rent-a-cop's life. Repeatedly, Lester embraces adversaries with uncharacteristic charity. As a result, "Big Momma" emerges as a slick, sympathetic, one dimensional screwball comedy with only the stretch marks of serious drama. No antagonism burns like a fuse between Lester and Malcolm, and their showdown brawl is absurdly brief. Ostensibly, since this lackluster villain poses a minimal threat to either heroine or hero, the film lacks any dramatic catharsis. At best, as a director, Gosnell is efficient; at worst, he is a hack. Happily, he keeps this formulaic fracas moving at a brisk clip and confines it to a trim 97 minutes.

The romance between Malcolm and Sherry sputters until he dons latex thighs and flour sack breasts. They make a generic couple, and their romance seems like supplemental fodder to flesh. Of course, while it adds depth, the filmmakers fail to make something out of it. Moreover, Malcolm breaks character, showing an interest in Sherry. John warns Malcolm that he is treading thin ice in his dealings with Sherry. For somebody who refused to be tied-down to a family, Malcolm appears hell-bent on courting Sherry and impressing Trent. Naturally, since Malcolm loves Sherry, any doubts in anybody's mind about the issue of Sherry's guilt should disappear. Any relationship with a character other than "Big Momma," however, takes second place, so Malcolm lusts after Sherry in disguise. Sounds rather perverted, doesn't it? The flashlight scene in bed between them (prominently featured in the film's trailers) gets a chuckle.

Clearly, scenarists Darryl ("Soldier Boyz") Quarles and Don Rhymer derived inspiration for "Big Momma's House" from cross-dressing cinematic classics, such as "Chris Columbus' "Mrs. Doubtfire" (1993), Billy Wilder's "Some Like It Hot" (1959), and Sydney Pollack's "Toostie" (1982) as well as romantic shoot'em ups like John Badham's "Stakeout" (1987) and F. Gary Gray's "Set It Off" (1996). Like the Richard Dreyfuss cop in "Stakeout," Malcolm is determined to help Sherry, even if it intrudes on his ethics. Sherry's relationship with a notorious bank robber recalls a similar conflict in Vivica A. Fox's relationship with a bank robber and her subsequent firing in "Set It Off." Sadly, despite the best efforts of Quarles and Rhymer, "Big Momma's House" amounts to little more than a series of cleverly staged vignettes a la Flip Wilson's Geraldine of Lawrence dodging into and out of character as a mammoth matriarch. Quarles and Rhymer stretch "Big Momma" beyond the bounds of anybody's credibility to accommodate some of the most absurd premises. A blind man could easily distinguish Martin's Hattie May from Ella Mitchell's Hattie May. Ella is bigger than Martin. Essentially, the filmmakers ask us to believe that Big Momma's lifelong friends would not be able to spot an imposter on the spot.

Again, if you hate Martin Lawrence, don't enter "Big Momma's House." Despite all of the obvious narrative flaws, especially in its flaky logic, Martin Lawrence's wide-eyed, rude humor and his prosthetic posturings redeem this crime comedy.
  • Brogan5 June 2000
    Hey look people, Martin Lawrence is wearing a dress! Isn't that funny? Hey look, there is Martin Lawrence wearing a different dress, isn't that still funny? That seems to be the continuing running gag in the new film staring Martin Lawrence titled, BIG MOMMA'S HOUSE. A film that tries to pull off the same male dressed as female jokes that we've seen before in TOOTSIE, SOME LIKE IT HOT, and MRS. DOUBTFIRE. Lawrence plays Malcolm Turner, a federal agent who is after a escaped convict, Lester (Terrence Howard), who is looking for his ex-girlfriend Sherry (Nia Long) who might or might not have the $2 million dollars that he stole during a robbery. Before you can say, STAKEOUT, Malcolm and his partner John (Paul Giamatti), travel to Georgia to watch over the house that belongs to one Big Momma (Ella Mitchell), hoping that Sherry will show up to see her big grandmother. When Big Momma makes a unexpected departure, Malcolm decides to play Big Momma so he can help capture Lester. The plot to this film is as routine as Lawrence's last film, BLUE STREAK. And like BLUE STREAK, it also has another element missing, humor. The jokes in this film are so predictable and lame. And to get the 12 year olds in the theater laughing, they also include some more left over potty jokes from READY TO RUMBLE, which were just as stupid in that film. And to get the audience groaning, they have a shot showing Big Momma's behind. Why they did that, I still don't know? Lawrence use to be funny on his t.v. show and in the movie BAD BOYS. Here, he's just playing the same role, Martin Lawrence, just this time he's dressed up as a woman. When Robin Williams and Eddie Murphy dress up as women, they at least add some personality to their disguises, and make their fictional character seem real. With Lawrence, it's just good ol' Martin wearing a wig and dress. And character actor Paul Giamatti is wasted playing the bumbling partner of Lawrence. Giamatti has been in some excellent films like PRIVATE PARTS, NEGOTATITOR, and MAN ON THE MOON, among many others. Why is he in this film, I still do not know. And Nia Long is also wasted playing the girl who notices the little differences in big momma, but just shrugges them off. What's bad about this movie, everything. There are no jokes, ripped off plot, stereo typed characters and stereo typed situations that the average movie audience has seen a dozen times already. I guess the people who never seen classic drag films like SOME LIKE IT HOT and TOOTSIE, would enjoy this. But for those who love and enjoy those films, will pity the filmmakers of this film. There is one good thing I can say about BIG MOMMA'S HOUSE, it will keep BATTLEFIELD EARTH company for one of the worst movies of the summer. * (out of five)
  • Big Momma's House By Dean Kish

Martin Lawrence stars in his second Hollywood vehicle but can his film overcome the comparisons to an `Eddie Murphy comedy' or `the black Mrs. Doubtfire'. Lawrence stars as undercover FBI agent Malcolm Turner, who is trying to capture a nasty prison escapee and bank robber before he can escape with the money. While tracking the con, Turner discovers the bank robber's girlfriend is leaving the abusive con and fleeing to her grandmother's (or Big Momma) house. After assembling a stakeout outside of the grandmother's house, Turner discovers that the grandmother is leaving for a trip. Panicking Turner assumes the role of Big Momma and greets her arriving grand-daughter. Big Momma has a lot of problems. Lawrence tries his very best to try to make the material funny. It's sometimes sad to see such a talented man so lost in such an ugly script. Why did Hollywood place this poor actor in this so obviously unfunny project? I can remember the 1980's and the huge success of Eddie Murphy but what made Eddie so successful was that the scripts accented his unique comedic talents. In recent years, the subtler Murphy has found success with the `Nutty Professor' and `Dr Dolittle' but they have never recaptured the magic of his earlier works. I believe the key problem with `Big Momma' is the script and that it can't seem to bring out the comedy trapped in Lawrence. Also the main comedic elements in this film are things we have seen countless times before. Some of the elements are the fat jokes, the man in the woman clothes gags and the dashing around as the main star tries to assume two identities at the same time. Some scenes are a direct rip-off of Mrs. Doubtfire with a black theme tucked in. During the cooking scene, I was waiting for Lawrence's huge fake breasts to catch fire but they never did and neither did the humor. Maybe within this film there are some elements that will appeal to some audiences but for me I found the whole experience very trying. (1 of 5) So Says the Soothsayer.
  • STAR RATING:*****Unmissable****Very Good***Okay**You Could Go Out For A Meal Instead*Avoid At All Costs

A lot of people have slammed Big Momma's House,but,appreciated on it's own levels,it's fairly enjoyable.There are some inventive laughs in the plot,Martin Lawrence is an effective comic performer as he had proved before in the excellent Bad Boys,although perhaps a little too crude and self styled in places.The plot seems a bit stretched out as well,but overall,this is much more engaging and funny than the awful Nutty Professor.**
  • BIG MAMMA'S HOUSE / (2000) **1/2 out of ****

"Big Mamma's House" offers exactly what you would expect in a comedy featuring Martin Lawrence dressing up as an old, grossly obese granny; this is a one-joke movie in which an undercover cop disguises himself as Big Mamma and participates in things we anticipate Big Mamma normally would not do. There are some big laughs involved with the size of the title character, as well as her with breasts, attitude, sexuality, and ignorance, but there are also some obvious audience pleasers that feel contrived. Although the make-up effects are astonishing and amusing, there are no surprises found within this material. We have already seen this film's punch line in better parodies like "Some Like It Hot," "Tootsie," and "Mrs. Doubtfire." This movie is predictable, over-enthusiastic, and does not take off with its ideas.

Martin Lawrence stars as a cop named Malcolm, who, with his partner John (Paul Giamatti), is assigned to investigate the jail bust of a convicted criminal named Laster (Terrence Dashon Howard). They suspect the murderer is after his ex-girlfriend, Sherry (Nia Long), and her son Trent (Jascha Washington), who may unknowingly own the stolen loot of a bank heist years ago. Sherry is somewhat aware of the danger she may be in, thus moves immediately to her relative's house, whom everyone calls Big Mamma (Ella Mitchell). Before Sherry arrives, however, Big Mamma leaves town for an engagement. John and Malcolm see potential involved with Big Mamma, thus they determine that having Malcolm go undercover as this character might originate information on Sherry's involvement with Laster's criminal actions.

Martin Lawrence, reprising his "Blue Streak" character, is perfect for the fast talking Mamma in which he disguises himself. The actor is in nearly every scene and is basically what the movie structures upon: one excessive comic situation after another featuring the concealed Malcolm participating in activities from karate class to a joyful church service and from the kitchen baking goodies to sleeping with the unknowing Sherry. Lawrence makes the movie succeed to the level that it does, however, his high spirits and willing energy only carry the film so far. It is only a matter of time before he wares out his welcome and becomes the only thing holding the story together.

The film does not stay focused on the plot of Laster attempting to reach Sherry; if a comedy makes the misconception to take its plot seriously, then it requires consistence. Here, although the setup contains potential, the only tension involved is when Sherry will discover her Big Mamma is an undercover cop. Essentially the movie's story is just an excuse to have Martin Lawrence play a funny character who does funny things.

The film's director is Raja Gosnell, whose "Never Been Kissed" and "Home Alone 3" provided trifling laughs, just like "Big Mamma's House" does. In this film, he and screenwriters Darryl Quarles and Don Rhymer attempt to do too much with too little like developing a romantic subplot that feels trite and predictable. No matter how much make-up or covering the filmmakers provide for their characters, beyond an occasional laugh there is simply nothing new here.
  • The film talks about the FBI agent Malcolm Turner (Martin Lawrence) , he's assigned to catch a ruthless bank robber and a recent prison escapee (Terrence Howard) . He suspect will be coming down to visit his ex-fiancee Sherry (Nia Long) and her child . The cop along with his colleague John (Paul Giamatti) set up a stakeout across from the home , and Turner posing as a woman , in order to investigate a case , who's known as a southern sweet ¨big momma¨, she is a severely overweight but bright old woman . This time he goes undercover , attempting to solve a case , and he becomes invoved with an unhappy mother , and his son . Disquising as a foul-mouthed Big Momma he must find the murderer before he finds them , along the way he has a lot of problems. It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings! This FBI agent is going undercover... and he's concealing more than a weapon.He's Deep Undercover. On June 2nd he's deep undercover.

This diverting movie expands from an original idea about woman's disguising , but Lawrence and the writers manage to pull it off rather impressively . The jokes are plentiful and is pretty entertaining , the plot doesn't allow for many quiet moments which Lawrence needs to balance out the slapdash . There are sporadic laughters , though too often humour is mined by scatological and toilet lines , but in this movie some gags are agreeable enough . It's a farce with the great master of disguise Lawrence when he takes a make up by make-up artist Greg Cannon and is transformed into fat grandma . The story is fun and interesting and the characters are genuine and sympathetic . Film is a Martin Lawrence recital , using a few tricks of disguise , carrying out complete transformations , as he makes acrobatics , stooges , tongue-twister and pull faces and grimaces . The picture is a vehicle Lawrence , he's a real show man and authentic farceur by impersonating the cantankerous Southern granny . Lawrence like his partner Eddie Murphy has plenty of experience with women costumes and various roles . He is well accompanied by a good cast mostly African-Americans , such as : Cedric the Entertainer , Octavia Spencer , Phyllis Applegate , Anthony Anderson , Philip Tan , Edwin Hodge , Aldis Hodge , among others . The film gets a nice cinematography by Michael O'Shea , and atmospheric score by Richard Gibbs . The motion picture was allrightly directed by Raja Gosnell ("Never Been Kissed", "Home Alone 3", "Scooby-Doo""Yours, Mine & Ours" , "Beverly Hills Chihuahua", ¨Smurfs¨ , ¨Smurfs¨) but he had nothing to do with the sequels , but the film cemented his reputation as a commercially successful director . If you like Lawrence's crazy acting , you'll enjoy this one.

The film ¨Big Momma's House¨ (2000) was an unexpected box office hit , earning about 174 million at the worldwide box office, and received two sequels of its own . Being followed by ¨Big Momma's House II¨ 2006 by John Whitesell , with Emily Procter , Mark Moses , Zachary Levi , Kat Dennings , Chloë Grace Moretz , Marisol Nichols and again a Martin Lawrence providing a recital in a sequel more amusing than previous film . And a third part in which Momma's got back-up , titled ¨Big mommas : Like fater like son¨ 2011 by John Whitesell with Martin Lawrence, Brandon T. Jackson, Jessica Lucas.
  • I loved "Big Momma's House" way back when it first came out & watched it alot on video, i already liked Martin Lawrence in "Blue Streak" & "Bad Boys" so seeing him play another Cop type of role in another big Comedy was exciting & i did like it.

Now most films i loved as a kid or in my younger days i still genuinely love now & hold them dear to my heart or have deep Nostalgia for but with "Big Momma's House" i now find it too stupid & too silly & i find Martin Lawrence way over the top & annoying!!! Strange how things can change? But yet i still love Eddie Murphy's "The Nutty professor" 1&2!!! Similar flicks in many ways but Eddie Murphy is a million times better than Lawrence so maybe that's why.

Anyway a few laughs are still there but i don't think it's a good film anymore
  • I tried to like this movie. I really tried. Wait, that's not true. The truth is that I really WANTED to like this movie, but it was just so awful and there was nothing good about it. It was so bad I'm surprised I made it through the whole movie without turning it off. I should get an award for that. It's the only award kind of award this movie should have.

And now I hear they made a SEQUEL to this? Are you kidding me? Don't watch it. It's not worth your time. I'm not even sure why I gave it a two star rating. I should change it to a one. Anyway, I'm sure there are worse movies out there, but right now, off the top of my head, I can't think of any.

The jokes aren't funny. The story isn't fun. The characters aren't fun. All of the above are irritating. I admit I was never a big Martin Lawrence fan, but he's even worse than usual in this. It makes his role in Bad Boys look good, and that's saying something.
    Big Momma's House (2000): Dir: Raja Gosnell / Cast: Martin Lawrence, Paul Giamatti, Nia Long, Terrence Howard, Anthony Anderson: A preview of what has been done before. Perhaps the best examples are Some Like It Hot and Tootsie. Title indicates authority as Martin Lawrence as a cop disguises himself as an overweight black woman in order to question a suspect. The real Big Momma has a sudden emergency leaving Lawrence and his partner to bug the house and stake out across the street. They await Nia Long who is fleeing from her boyfriend, an escape convict. Obvious outcome with pitiful comic situations such as the wig falling off Lawrence's head and every other woman apparently having wigs as well. Poor comic timing by director Raja Gosnell who made the superior yet formula driven Never Been Kissed the previous year. What he creates here is less entertaining than a hair gel commercial. Lawrence doesn't look like a female and his voice impersonation is over the top. Paul Giamatti as his partner is a waste. Nia Long is the standard damsel there for one reason and that is to be a potential romantic interest to Lawrence. Terrence Howard plays the criminal. The performance is standard fare with no depth and serves only as someone Lawrence will save Long from. Anthony Anderson plays a moron security guard. Pointless recycled dreck becomes a big free-for-all. Score: 1 / 10
  • There have definately better Martin Lawrence starring vehicles than this. Life, Blue Streak, even a Thin Line Between Love and Hate (which wasn't a real comedy) were better than this. This is just Lawrence using the makeup talents used in Mrs. Doubtfire and Nutty Proffessor (which were much better than this). Very few, if funny parts, and the only thing that might make this film possibly watchable is villain Terrance Howard who is like a protege of Gary Oldman and Nia Long as the sexpot who is the catalyst for this disaster. Sorry Lawrence, but the light has to end somewhere. It might not be over yet, but Lawrence is not funny right now. And, unfortunately, this film proves it. C- (for Howard and Long)
  • Martin Lawrence is an FBI agent who disguises himself as the titled character to protect witness Nia Long and her young son in this typical silly comedy that is little more than a cash cow. Stupid situations abound are the only things that give the movie any fluid movement. Plays too much like a sitcom to entertain the way it should. It is bad when the makeup effects are the strongest asset in a film. 2.5 out of 5 stars.
  • Bored_Dragon11 July 2020
    Martin Lawrence plays an FBI agent, a master of disguise. In order to ambush the runaway convict, he disguises himself as a local old lady and moves into her house across the street from the convict's ex-girlfriend and, of course, falls in love with her. The film does not have any special qualities, but it is quite a decent pastime, if you want to relax and laugh a bit.

I like this movie , and all Big mama movies . I love funny movies like this one and Martin Lawrence was great in this movie and very funny . Love it and I watch this movie whenever I see it on tv .
  • Big Momma's House is a great movie all around. A great cast and lots of laughter, Love and intense moments. A++ Film!!!
  • Terryfan28 September 2015
    Once upon a time I did enjoy this film but not I have to ask myself what was I thinking watching this film?

It goes to show how some comedy films actually look better on paper but this film didn't get the message because it has everything that should be ashamed of itself for.

Well they try to have a serious plot with Terrence Howard playing the main villain and Martin Lawrence playing the protagonist however the film script really should have been review before ever getting a green light.

Well I have to give it some decent points for trying to be creative the film just miss it mark. Some of the jokes in this film are just not that funny and it should have never been mention on film.

The acting in this film is just about normal and it's hard to really say he gave a good performance or not but the film just look better on paper all together.

I would say watch it if you're curious but other than that it's just not strong to get on DVD

I give Big Momma's House an 5 out of 10
  • Sure Big Momma's House has the over-exaggerated characters, the typical modern crude humor and predictable plot - but I found the execution of the movie spot-on. It's got a very similar aspect as Mrs.Doubtfire, I think you can guess what that is, but despite the predictability, no character development and just mild dialog, I found the movie rather enjoyable because on how funny and well executed Martin Lauren's performance was. It's got all the same elements on the typical modern comedy, whether it'd be its crude humor, dialog or appeals but my opinion contracts it as a great comedy, that could easily be enjoyable on the same level of multiple viewings. It's very funny, got a good ending and also the little sad bit, a recommendation for every Comedy fan who wants a laugh but expect nothing special.