User Reviews (101)

• Novocaine is a very strange film. It doesn't make up its mind whether it's a take off on a genre or is it playing straight. That said, the story has a lot of laughs and it was a complete surprise given the negative comments one had heard about this film. David Watkins' script and direction give this film a different look of what Hollywood is giving us lately. Steve Martin is a very difficult actor to cast and he has to have the right vehicle and direction in order to excel, as he does here. Sometimes Mr. Martin comes across rather shallow in some of his screen portrayals, but as the dentist at the center of this comedy, he is at the top of his craft. Laura Dern is just perfect in her role. She keeps getting better all the time, whether it's comedy, as it is here, or her other film this year, Focus. She's an actress who doesn't repeat herself. She's a true original. Helena Bonham-Carter is perfect as the junkie that appears in Steve Martin's life. Quite a change for her image, better known for her appearances in serious films. This must have been quite a turn around for this actress, better remembered for her work in serious English drama. The most remarkable scenes are those of the great Kevin Bacon as an actor tailing David Keith in preparation for an upcoming police film. He is hilarious as the method actor in search of ways to interpret the real life detective in the movies.

All in all, this is a very satisfying comedy.
  • Brian B-221 December 2002
    To start with, any movie in which Helena Bonham Carter gets naked is a good thing.

This is a weird weird movie, but good pacing and casting saves it. A more disciplined director could have turned it into a cult classic.

Steve Martin is convincing in a challenging part. He is a fine actor.He brings just enough comedy so the movie doesn't descend into the land that light forgot. This edge gives the film strange believability.

Laura Dern is also exquisite walking a fine line to achieve a balance between farce and drama. Her character, blondness and 'hard body' look contrasted effectively with HBC's petite, auburn wickedness.

At the end, I wanted to watch it again to appreciate the fine points I missed the first time through.

I would describe it as a darker " The Whole Nine Yards".
  • I would never have seen Novocaine had it not been for my love of Steve Martin. But what amazed me in this film were the genius performances by the other actors: a terrific character turn for Laura Dern (didn't mean to rhyme). The always-charming Helena Bonham-Carter playing a role reminiscent of (but NOT the same as) her Fight Club character. Elias Koteas' quirky, stupid take as Steve Martin's younger brother. Kevin Bacon making a cameo in one of the only roles I've EVER liked him in.

But most of all, Laura Dern. This woman can act. She absolutely stole the show. A character who seems at once timid and sweet, then sends me spinning with her karate fanaticism. I will not tell you anymore about her performance (of which there is MUCH more to tell), because you need to discover this film for yourself.

The filming is an absolute masterpiece, as well as the writing, both done by David Atkins. The music is a wonderfully stylized score by Danny Elfman, calling forth 'film noir' memories. And there couldn't have been a more thrilling cast to watch on screen.

Novocaine is a suspense thriller, as well as an extremely funny movie. See it for Steve Martin, though you won't be watching him for long.
  • Steve Martin has great taste and gets some of the best stories in the industry. I don't think he's made a bad movie and this one is stellar. Novocaine is a little along the lines of Spanish Prisoner and reminds me of Memento. The plot was complex, the acting superb, it was well crafted, surprising, and even funny. When it started out I couldn't help but squirm in my chair due to the horrible decisions the dentist was making. Nevertheless, let me assure you that in the end we all went away feeling fully entertained and pleased. The crowd at the advance screening loved it as well. I continue to be impressed with Steve Martin. How many actors or artists can you honestly say that about? What a great show!
  • I was lucky enough to get to go to an advance screening of Novocaine (I won tickets). I LOVED it!! I always loved Steve Martin but was really impressed at what a great actor he is as well as comedian! I don't want to give anything away, but this movie totally surprised me, part thriller, part drama part comedy. Nothing like Martin's done before but still very Steve Martin. Helena Bonham Carter plays a role similar to her Fight Club role, very mysterious and brooding. I was also happy to see Laura Dern in a great role. She's different in every movie and is especially strong in this one. The movie is such a mixture of twists and turns that it's hard to rave about it without giving anything away. But I definitely recommend this movie to everyone, perfect for a date or with friends. Even the score is phenomonal too. I can't wait to go again and see it in the theatre the first weekend it comes out.
  • The suspense of this beautifully written plot manages to keep you squirming while the actors dazzle you with comic flourishes, thick sexual tension, and all-around excellent performances. A great film. Steve Martin has proven that he has a knack for suspense thrillers with this film and The Spanish Prisoner.
  • Steve Martin is believable as a dentist who sees his life spiraling out of control after a series of cascading lies sets him up as a murder suspect. What is not believable is the script, which seems to overlook common sense. Cops that fall asleep while guarding a suspect, and worse yet handcuffing a suspect to a flimsy bench in the court house. After an intriguing set up, everything has less and less logic. The proverbial happy ending is totally unbelievable, as is the supposed motivation for the entire storyline. If you want to see a pretty good Steve Martin performance and can overlook Novocaine's many flaws, it is definitely watchable. - MERK
  • I hesitate to call "Novocaine" a film noir, for those knowledgeable cinema buffs out there may harass me and tell me film noir is usually set in the forties, and so on and so forth. But the core of film noir is really the essential idea of the Everyman thrust into incomprehensible situations, not aware of what is happening, why, or how to stop it. Film noirs usually show our hero caught up in framed murder. In "Novocaine," a dentist is thrust into a world of lies, deceit, sex, drugs, and murder. And if that doesn't tickle your fear, then maybe the fact that the dentist is Steve Martin will.

Film noirs are a tricky thing to make correctly. They can fail very easily, such as the incredibly disappointing "D.O.A." They can stumble, mess up. When the rare "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" comes along, it is time to rejoice. I must admit that when I went to see "Novocaine" with Steve Martin, I did not expect very much. I had already heard bad news about it, seen little previews for it, and generally expected it to be a bad movie. Steve Martin in a film noir about a funny dentist? Fortunately, I instantly realized I had made a mistake.

Our tale begins with Dr. Frank Sangster, a mild-mannered dentist (isn't that how it always is in film noirs?) with a fiancé/co-worker, Jean (Laura Dern), and a generally nice, peaceful little world. But that world is shaken when a sleazy, lusty woman named Susan Ivey (Helena Bonham Carter) walks through the doors. She wants Novocaine, but Frank doesn't know this. After a night of passion in the dentist's chair, Frank agrees to give her Novocaine for pain she is having. But the next day, when he thinks he may have gotten away with everything, he finds out that Susan has increased the amount on the prescription he gave her from about 1 to 100, or something like that. Soon Frank is being checked out by the Three-Letter Government Corporations, and, unable to come up with excuses for the missing Novocaine, tries to find Susan and confront her about it. Before long he is caught up in a web of deceit, murder, perjury, all the stuff I said before.

"Novocaine" is a sweet ball of darkness, laughs and film noir. It numbs you, leaving you breathless. It is as if the film itself is "Novocaine." It isn't a terrific comedy, or a terrific film noir, but it is a heck of a lot better than you have probably been led to believe. Steve Martin is about the last person you'd expect to see in a film like this, but my favorite comedian pulls it off. His character, Frank, has no idea what is going on. He isn't experienced in the world of greed, lust and so on and so forth like Susan is--he is new to it, stumbling forward unsure of where to go next. As situations catch up with him, he runs farther, searching the darkness, trying to find answers.

This is a fun movie to watch, the kind of movie I've been looking for. The beginning credits, which show X-rays of the human mouth, set the tone for the film--it is a dark movie, and leaves you feeling dirty throughout. It is the type of movie where you want to sit back, shake your head and make ticking sounds with your mouth. It frustrates you, it leads the characters into wrong decision, and you want to yell at the screen to stop them from doing what they're doing. But when the dirty feeling of the film kicks in, the small laughs along the way provide a balance to the darkness. "Novocaine" is a very well-done film noir. When the credits start rolling, you will feel surges of anger, frustration, laughter and sadness, and then the numbness will kick in on the ride home, and you'll feel like you've just been given a dose of Novocaine.
  • OK, so I have to give this movie points for originality. How many films involve a dentist protagonist? I watched the featurette on the DVD and director David Atkins explained that he wanted to throw a curve ball at the audience by having Steve Martin play the main character in a dark comedy--since audiences are probably expecting something much broader. I didn't get any laughs out of this film; just some mild chuckles. But whether it's a dark comedy or a mystery-thriller, it doesn't quite gel. And ultimately, the film left a bad taste in my mouth--no pun intended. It's watchable, and at times quite intriguing, but it's definitely not a memorable film that I would watch on repeat viewings.

The cast is spirited. Steve Martin never ceases to please, whether he's playing a broad comic role or the straight man. Here, he plays more of the latter. But I wasn't surprised he was able to pull it off. If anybody has seen Lawrence Kasdan's "Grand Canyon," you know Steve is a versatile actor who can easily pull off a serious role. This isn't his first time playing the straight man. Laura Dern is amusing as Steve's neurotic, obsessive-compulsive, karate-kicking wife. Helena Bonham Carter is sassy and sexy, a totally convincing femme fetale. Elias Koteas has some nice moments as Steve's black-sheep brother. And last but not least, Kevin Bacon has an amusing unbilled cameo as an actor researching murder cases for his upcoming movie.

Danny Elfman's opening theme is wonderfully haunting. There are certain elements of "Novocaine" that I liked, it does have its moments (the twist ending totally caught me by surprise!!), but it just doesn't come together.

My score: 6 (out of 10)
  • This was a good movie, but there were several plot holes you could drive a truck through. I found myself saying "No one would really do that" over and over again. It seemed as though the director wanted to do a straight suspense film, and Steve Martin wanted to do a screwball comedy, and in the end, it's neither one. The characters are well played, and Helena Bonham Carter did an especially good job with a big departure from her previous roles as refined British noble women. At times, the actors got very close to being caricatures instead of characters. All in all, an enjoyable film if you aren't expecting the quality of "The Spanish Prisoner", which I think is still Steve Martin's best film ever.
    if it's possible to spoil something that's already in tatters. This is a "plot script," meant to show off the cleverness of its writer, in the grand tradition of Agatha Christie and Arthur Conan Doyle. For this to work, the writer must actually be clever, and the plot must make sense. This one, alas, is riddled with holes.

It also shares another fatal flaw with earlier second-raters like The Getaway (Alec Baldwin, Kim Basinger) and The Silent Partner (Elliott Gould, Susannah York): even the characters we're expected to sympathize with have the moral sense of garden slugs, and no real virtues beyond the fact that they're good-looking.

Steve Martin, a dentist, has a gorgeous, charming, loving fiancée and assistant in Laura Dern, yet somehow he instantly and implausibly falls for rude, bratty, drug-addicted Helena Bonham Carter. When he discovers that she's conned him into prescribing her some drugs, he lies to cover it up. When he discovers that she's robbed his office of his entire supply of drugs and the DEA wants to know where they went, he lies to cover it up. When her psychopathic brother trashes his office, he lies to cover it up. This is the Idiot Plot Syndrome--at each move, the entire audience is cringing at the stupid mistake made by the protagonist, but each of these mistakes is essential to keep the story going, since doing the self-evidently right thing would clear up the mess and send the audience home.

Martin's childish lies eventually allow someone to frame him for murder. The cops allow an actor (Kevin Bacon), researching a role as a cop, to do the questioning. In a deus ex broken armrest, he escapes effortlessly, and immediately returns to his druggie sweetheart, even though the police are watching her.

In the end, the loving fiancée turns out to be the villainess, having hatched the whole plot in order to take ownership of his business. (A dentist office? Some motive.) She had talked his accountant into rearranging his corporate structure to make her plot possible, yet when his accountant, on the chair for some tooth drilling, began to spill the beans, it was he, not she, who insisted that the accountant shut up and submit to the nitrous oxide.

Her original idea had merely been to frame him for drug dealing, yet somehow she had had the amazing foresight to make a denture copy of his teeth, for the purpose of putting incriminating bite marks all over a dead body that only at the last moment intruded unexpectedly into her plan. In the end, she commits a second unnecessary murder, and is filmed in the act by an office video camera she knew all about. Martin, however, manages to fake his own death and abscond to France with his loser girlfriend (now miraculously cured of her addiction, and full of his child), even though it is now completely unnecessary that he run away.

I'll stop here, not because I can't think of any more flaws, but because it's pointless to do so. Maybe there's a decent Sherlock Holmes on the tube.
  • If you are expecting a typical Steve Martin comedy, then don't see this movie. However, if you are looking for a dark comedy with many twists and turns, and with great acting, then this movie is for you. I liken it to The Spanish Prisoner, another fantastic Steve Martin movie that contained many unexpected plot twists. I give this a 10.
    Spoilers herein.

How quickly have we moved into an era where virtually every movie is self-referential.

-- We have a side character who is a film actor (the ultra-recognizable Kevin Bacon), studying `reality.' He asks, `how does the audience know it is a movie?'

-- A common thread is the notion of an x-ray, a film image that reveals the inner truth.

-- The final framing is via a video.

-- The fantasy in the film is set up as `Il Postino,' which slowly blends from the office screen into the action of the film.

The effort at self-reference was rather over the top. Wish there had been as much attention given to all of the other elements of the project.

But I must admit that I am usually charmed by Ms Carter. Her approach to acting is different than what one expects. She challenges the audience to break through her skin. It is opposite from the Emily Watson (Nic Cage) method where she splays her guts so that you can admire her commitment. Here, she cajoles you into drilling into a shared space that is ever so more intimate because you have made the commitment to film sex, rather like Martin's hapless character. (`Have you ever done it in a (theater) chair?')

He spends all day in people's mouths, yet is captivated by this urchin. She works that enticement extraordinarily well in herself and her character -- and I am sure it is her idea and not the director's.
  • Whatever Steve Martin is in is probably going to be good, and this one was. It was a slow starter but it finally got off to a fast moving film. Steve, the dentist, was taken in by a drug user and when he gave her a prescription for 5 pills, he learned that she had added a "O" to his figure and made it 50. Once he started lying, he had to keep on lying to cover up the other lies. He was apparently an innocent victim and didn't know it for a long time. There was one murder of the addicts brother, and another murder of Steve's brother. He finally figured out the one person who could get all the information together and and set him up to be convicted. When he pulled his own teeth and replaced them in another false set, we could really see the sense of it all. The end was the greatest surprise of all.
    I must say that about halfway through this movie I thought about bailing out on it. Steve Martin's character kept making SUCH bad decisions that it was painful to watch and you could easily see where it was going.

But I'm glad I stuck with it. Martin did a marvelous job of playing a terribly upstanding character who does things even he thinks himself incapable of, when he meets someone who finds his buttons and keeps on pushing them. *** SPOILER FOLLOWS *** You'd expect him to end up wishing he'd never met her, yet ultimately their meeting is the one thing that saves him. Sure some of the plot twists are a little implausible, but it's well-acted, told from an unusual point of view and a lot of fun. 7 out of 10.
  • elcinematico19 March 2004
    This has been a quite entertaining movie. Not really a top notch movie, not really working as a comedy, but still pretty entertaining. It started out veeery slow and boooring - it took a little too long for it to evolve. But when it started to it got better and better. There's that very freaky story and a wrecked Bonham-Carter (she's good playin such characters ;-) adding most to this film. However the ending was a little too fantastic since it shouldn't be a problem for the forensics to ... no, I won't spoil hehe.

My favourite scene was Martin's call where he spoke to that guy who answered the phone with "barbie's bakery. it's mr. muffin man speakin." LOL

My overall rating is: 6.5/10 - if you're not sure what to watch, try this one. It works pretty well as entertainment.
  • I loved this movie. I love Steve Martin's work. I been a fan of his since.... A LONG TIME! See this movie. It is great. Well, it's about a person name Susan Ivey who suduces Frank Sangster(The famous Steve) by having you know at the dentist place. Because this all starts out, he has a great life, no bad things happening, until his 7:30 patient (you know Susan) is at the dentist with HORRIBLE TEETH!!! Well when he is checking out her teeth, she asks him if he wants to do it. Well, your going to have to see the rest. I dont want to ruin it. It does have some nudity, but not as bad as the violence. see this movie. YOU WILL LOVE IT!!!!!! Its a kind of a Crimody movie. Some comedy, and some crime, barely drama. Steve Martin, I have seen every single 1 of his movies, not one is dissapointing, they are all entertaining, I got them all. I got all his books, cds, even his autograph! But please see this movie November 16, 2001. STEVE MARTIN ROCKS!!!!
  • Just seen by me on cable,and having read in the film mag that Steve Martin led the cast,I expected a funny film, or at the least, an interesting one.I was wrong. And all this picture does is suggest that some of the people who control feature films are a bunch of selfish, perverse and greedy egotists.Apart from 'Royal Tenenbaums' which for me is one of the unfunniest movies of all time, "Novacaine" comes very close to out-ranking it.The plot: Dentist has a female drug addict patient whom he fancies, leading to a whole series of bizarre and ridiculous events, mainly because of her addiction.Not only is the female lead totally mis-cast,most sane people would not, nor could not, in the context of the way this film is made, find anything remotely funny about drug addiction, quite apart from the nonsensical killings and unnecessary violence in this picture.I got the impression that whoever wrote and directed this film has no idea whether to create a comedy or a drama, as from my perspective it was neither........ just a total mess; looking to me like it was made up as it went along, wholly uneven,lacking any merit, humour or sense, and the actors much of the time suggest they are ad-libbing with mostly half-hearted performances. 1 out of 10.
  • Detour meets Fight Club meets American Beauty (with other obvious nods to Little Shop of Horrors and Il Postino). Novocaine is this year's love letter to Hollywood. Snappy writing, superb acting, and engaging editing. The opening credits alone are worth the price of admission. I doubt anyone who sees it will be disappointed.
    With a friend mentioning to me that she was interested in watching a Comedy movie,I decided to pay a visit to a local DVD shop.Getting near the end of a shelf,I was happy to spot a Steve Martin title that I remember seeing lots of ads for when it came out,which led to me getting ready to pay the dentist a visit.

The plot:

Living a care-free life,dentist Frank Sangster finds himself being taken out of his comfort zone by new patient Susan. Despite having kind-hearted Jean Noble by his side,Sangster finds the danger Susan offers to be irresistible,which leads to them having sex in Sangster's dentist chair (talk about getting a filling!) Getting dressed,Susan pushes Sangster to give her a prescription to drugs that she is addicted to.

Turning up at his practise the next day,Sangster discovers that the buildings entire drug supply has been stolen.Quickly telling Nobel that he got rid of the drugs due to them running out of date,Sangster sets his sights on tracking down Susan.As Sangster enters Susan's brutal,drug hazed world,Nobel begins to pull the teeth of Sangster's hidden secrets.

View on the film:

Stuck with terrible, misleading promos,debuting co-writer/ (along with Paul Felopulos)director David Atkins (who has not made a movie since) leaves any sign of light Comedy behind,to deliver a murky Neo-Noir with a tough black Comedy edge.Drilling into a Neo-Noir atmosphere,Atkins & cinematographer Vilko Filac expose the rot setting in on Sangster's life with dazzling tracking shots,which along with revealing the chaotic state that his dental practise is falling into,also subtly shows Sangster to be in such a frantic mind that he is unable to spot the games getting played. Initially giving the title a light appearance, Atkins pulls up black Comedy roots which give Sangster's walk into the Neo-Noir world a glistering bitterness,as blood sprays over Sangster's pristine life.

Ripping Sangster's life wide open,the writers superbly pull any clean teeth in sight,as the whirlwind,dangerous femme fatale Susan drags Sangster out of his relaxing life with shady deals and lustful temptation.Ending the movie on a wonderfully weird bonkers note,the writers bite down on the viewers expectations with a raw intensity,thanks to delivering sharp, clever twists which reveal Sangster relationship with "perfect" Jean Noble to actually be more dangerous than the one he is having with Susan.

Hiding her English accent, Helena Bonham Carter (who also appears naked) gives an excellent performance as femme fatale Susan,with Carter's guitar twang giving Susan an oddly alluring quality,whilst Carter's stilted body language brilliantly capturing the burnt to a crisp life of Susan.Going up against Susan, Laura Dern gives a great performance as Jean Noble,with Dern joyfully ripping up Noble noble image,as Dern transforms Nobel into a hard-nose Neo-Noir dame.Stuck in the dentist chair,Steve Martin gives a terrific performance as Sangster, with Martin burning up Sangster's likability as he drills the Neo-Noir loner into him. Striking his exchanges with Carter with a chilling gasp of desperation,Martin carefully balances a dry dark wit,with a clutching at straws desperation,as Sangster starts to become numb.
  • I always love to be able to use the term "hidden gem" in my reviews, since those are the kind of movies I seek out most, and this Steve Martin vehicle totally qualifies.

The plot is original. The ending is surprising. Steve Martin plays his character perfectly. I don't dislike Steve Martin, but this is the most I've ever liked him in a movie, since he usually can't seem to stop his "acting" from going too far over-the-top.

I don't want to give anything about this unique film away, so I'll only say that this is simply a terrific mildly-black comedy, and I confidently rate it a solid ten.
  • doug-69714 February 2010
    I rented Novocaine because I like Steve Martin and Helena Bonham Carter and also because I knew nothing about the movie. I enjoyed it and it never bored me at any moment.

The movie seems to be characterized as a "black comedy", but I felt it was more of a satire. I think Novocaine is commenting on the struggle we all quietly face between living a safe, conventional life and pursuing our fantasies. Frank Sangster (Steve Martin) seems to have it all, money and a beautiful fiancé, with the only glimpse of discontent being and old French movie he plays for the patients, but which is probably more for him. When the sultry Susan (Helena Bonham Carter) sits in his dental chair, his fantasies are suddenly triggered. While most men (all?) would sympathize with Frank for his temptation, we are led to believe its cause is more of a gigantic moment of weakness, not because he's unhappy with his fiancé, Jean (Laura Dern). Also, while Frank is certainly a victim, there's nothing particularly noble about his actions during the film and you don't completely sympathize with him. And even when he achieves his "fantasy", it is so clichéd and paid for at such a high price, the movie doesn't ennoble Frank's fantasy. On one hand, the movie seems to be about pursuing one's dreams, but it's fairly cynical about it.

One of the best aspects of the movie is the effort given to the minor characters. It felt like they tried to give everyone something interesting to do. Even Kevin Bacon shows up for a small, but very funny part. Some of the movie is predictable and implausible, but there were enough surprises to keep it interesting and if I want complete believability I'll watch a documentary.

If there was any weakness in the movie, it's that, while we can understand Frank falling for Susan, there's not enough effort given to make it convincing that Susan had really fallen for Frank. This may have been on purpose early in the movie, to keep you guessing about Susan's intentions, but there should have been one scene before the movie is over which tells you why she wants to be with him. And the movie is a bit thin overall on the motivations and personality of Susan. She is apparently a drug addict and having a "difficult" relationship with her brother, but this is passed over too little.

If you want to watch something a bit different, sort of an "anti-Roxanne", this might be worth renting. On the other hand, if you fear going to the dentist, you may wish to take care.
  • Fine cast, but they couldn't do much with this flat script from writer and first-time director David Atkins. It *seemed* like it should be good, but in the end (as a political pundit once said) there was just no "there" there.

If you get the DVD, watch the "making of" segment for Steve Martin's remark on why he signed on to the film. His deadpan explanation (He had enjoyed working with David Mamet once in the past, heard that Novocaine was directed by someone named David, so he figured he should do it...) is somehow funnier than the rest of the DVD.
  • If this movie had been labeled "A disturbing modern film noir," I would not have been expecting to be amused or entertained, and it would not have ruined my evening the way it did. True, I admired the direction and production values even as I loathed everything else and almost everyone in it. After about ten minutes I said, "I hope I stop hating this pretty soon," and after another twenty minutes I just quit trying to watch it. If I'd had any reason to suspect that I would be seeing a creepy violent Blood Simple or Red Rock West type of drama instead of a "comedy" of any kind it would have been a different matter entirely. I knew a Steve Martin movie was a crapshoot but this possibly interesting and obviously well made crime drama was appallingly mislabled. BEWARE!!!
    In my opinion, Novocaine had a brilliant trailer, but the film was a big disappointment. The first time I saw the trailer on a video rental, I knew I had to see Novocaine. I was expecting a Cohen Brothers style film of sharp wit and beautiful surreality. What I got was 'try hard' wit and ridiculous implausibility.

Now this really p****s me off because I love Steve Martin, I love Laura Dern, I love Helena Bonham Carter and I love Kevin Bacon. I really expected more from a cast of very talented, very experienced actors. This basically means that the fault didn't lie with the cast. It lay with the severe implausibility of the story .

SPOILERS IMMINENT!! REPEAT, SPOILERS IMMINENT!!

At the film's beginning, Steve Martin's engaged to Laura Dern (what more could an average Joe want?), he's got a good job, he's got a very nice home, he's portrayed as a stable, even tempered middle aged dude. Suddenly Helena BC appears, asks for a script to be filled and Steve allows her to scam 10 times the amount of drugs from a local pharmacy! Two or so scenes later, when Helena BC steals the entire drug supply from Steve's dental surgery, Steve coyly makes up a paper thin story to the authorities that wouldn't stand up to detailed scrutiny by investigators!!

This is when Novocaine jumped off the rails of plausibility and `Plot' gave way to `Series of Events'. To anyone out there who thought these scenes seem logical, do you realise how big a crime Steve's committing?? How much senseless risk?? How much all the drugs which Helena stole cost?? If Steve wanted to have some sex on the side, it would have been much, much cheaper and much less stress to go visit a high class lady of the night every night for several weeks. And as for the climactic scene in the film from which the title is derived, I was physically disgusted and really couldn't believe that an tempered, stable middle aged dude would be capable of taking out all of their own teeth, as well as those of a corpse. Come on!! It felt like the writers thought of that one scene first and tried to create a movie around it.

Overall, not too badly directed, but very immaturely written. Looks like a student film. Steve, Laura, Hel and Kev all should have known better. 2/10