• This is a 1950's science fiction B-movie remade for the noughties.

Some of the expected variations from a 50's movie are present - the injection of foul language, the obligatory sex scene and the emphasis placed very firmly on horror rather than sci-fi. There is also the predictable selection of nasty, unlikeable characters, a complete absence of fun, and a much-reduced level of excitement compared to the old films.

Unfortunately, one change that should have been evident - improved special effects - is entirely absent. The effects are not only very un-special, they are inferior to many of the most ordinary 1950's sci-fi movies.

Still, it's a somewhat entertaining film. Something to watch if you find yourself at a loose end and there's nothing else on TV that you want to see. It will keep you mildly interested for much of the runtime.

Just don't let the somewhat starry names of the leads (Randy Quaid and Nastassja Kinski) mislead you. This is a small film, with an uninspired central premise, adequately executed - no more.

Disappointing.

• Yes, I'm giving a higher mark to this film. There are several things that make this an above-par effort. The story will hold your interest, the cast is mature and the acting is with enough conviction. It gives a nice B-movie feel without resorting to bad CGI effects for a creature.

The Day The World Ended has the classic cliché elements for a perfect B flick: a mysterious misunderstood child, a town with a secret, and an alien (or IS it?). While not a direct remake of the 1956 film of the same title, it utilizes the original film by showing segments on a TV seen within the story and showing that VHS video box cover as part of the child's interest in aliens. High production values combined with B movie flair work just enough to be passable entertainment for some, but if you enjoy the *wink-wink* of its intended fun, it comes out a winner. It has the look and feel of a decent X-Files episode with the more psychological horror elements of the newer Outer Limits. That's not bad at all, considering.

Younger audiences may not give this a chance as the cast (except for the child) is well over 40, but I welcomed that element gladly as the older classic sci-fi/horror films always used a mature cast as well. They cast who would work well with the story instead of who was young and hot at the moment. By casting the way they did, this film will hold up better in years to come. Choosing a teen-looking cast would obviously date it when those stars have faded from the spotlight. Randy Quaid and Nastassia Kinski both give convincing performances, and Stephen Toblowsky adds just enough humor to his role as the principal.

The creature itself is hit-or-miss: in some scenes it looks fine, in others it doesn't. But the fact that it was actually part person/puppet/mechanics helps a lot even if it's not entirely convincing, as these days too many films just use computer animation which becomes distracting like watching cheap animation mixed in with live action.

Yes, this is a B movie. But it's a fun one, just like the old classics of its genre but with a bit more cussing and violence. Don't let the R rating keep you back on that part, as it's not gratuitous and just in the right doses. As for the MPAA's warning of a "sex scene"...it's so brief, rather awkward, and basically humorous that it's not even worth fretting over. Otherwise, those looking for sex and breasts better look elsewhere, this film concentrates on the story and its stronger psychological horror.

Those who are collectors of -- and particularly of ones that are homages to -- old B films will be quite satisfied and not worry that the DVD has just the basics to offer, plus some inside views from Stan Winston and Shane Mahan on a commentary. Others just looking to pass the time might not find the price worth it. I personally think this one will be one that years from now will still entertain. It's good enough, smart enough, and doggone it -- just creepy enough that people might like it. I know I've enjoyed this one a heck of a lot more than the most recently hyped theatrical blockbuster yawners, so give this one a try with a big bowl of popcorn and enjoy! Don't have extreme expectations and you'll be fine!
    When I decided to watch this movie, I expected it to be bad. After all, Randy Quaid was in it. But I was pleasantly surprised; it was actually decent.

The story begins when a New York Therapist, Dr. Jennifer Stillman (Nastassja Kinsky), goes to live in a small town in the mountains and work as a school psychiatrist. The people of the town seem xenophobic and treat her with disdain. She meets a dejected boy, Benjamin James McCann (Bobby Edner), who is mistreated by both the other children in school and by the adults of the town. The boy is obsessed with science fiction aliens and likes to watch old alien horror movies. Dr. Stillman takes a liking to him, but when she tries to help him, the boys father, Dr. Michael McCann (Randy Quaid) is against her even talking to him. Things start to take a turn for the worse when Dr. Stillman tries to get Benjamin to remember his dead mother, and people in town start to die.

Bobby Edner is very good in this role. There is a combination of vulnerability and anger that he manages very well. Both Quaid's and Kinsky's performances were good but not exceptional. The supporting cast was decent as was the directing. The plot was a little predictable and too much information is given too early. The monster was appropriately cheesy, and actually better than I expected. There were a couple of inconsistencies in the plot, but I had expected more. The pacing was good and the story kept moving.

This is not a jump out of your seat horror film. It's paced a little slower, allowing Edner to fill out his character. The plot reminded me a little of the old Twilight Zone episode "It's a Good Life".

Definitely a movie to watch if you are into grade B horror films, otherwise you can probably pass.
  • Dr. Jenniffer Stillman (the gorgeous Nastassja Kinski) is a school psychologist from N.Y. that moves to her new job in a small American town. There she will meet Benjamin James McCann (Bobby Edner), a boy with a powerful mind, and some strange citizens that live under the shadow of a mysterious event in the past. I am a great fan of those Universal Classic Monster movies from the 50's, such as 'The Creature from The Black Lagoon', 'The Wolf Man', 'Frankenstein', 'The Invisible Man' etc. 'The Day the World Ended' look like one of those movies from the 50's. It seems that the director and the screenplay writer wanted to honor those movies. Further, it could be used as a 'X-Files' episode. There are clichés, the special effects are very poor, but it has a charm. It is a Sci-Fi / Horror movie without explicit violence that entertains. It deserves to be watched. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "O Dia Que o Mundo Acabou" ("The Day the World Ended")
  • This is one of those horror movies in a similar vain as some of Stephen King's books; in which the focus of the movie is as much supernatural terror as childhood trauma. This movie centers around an "exceptional" boy and the thing he witnessed 5 years ago. A new therapist for the school district shows up and immediately becomes drawn to the kid. Over the next hour and some minutes, she learns what it is that happened and must aid the boy as events unfold.

This movie has a lot of standard horror cliches: the shadowy creature, the town secret, the pained kid, the outsider, the small town freakiness. It plays them all well, but seems for the most part to fall back upon them instead of come up with anything significant. The movie is not one that will make jump out of your seat, but you will stay interested throughout the most of it.

I give it 8 out of 10, the only problem I have with the movie is the ending...a little bit too "clip-art from the big book of horror movie endings" for my taste....but at least it wraps up one or two things.
  • Okay, this movie is awful. I don't mean good awful, or funny awful or anything like that. I mean awful awful. Like, this is what's playing in the lobby at HELL, awful. No good special effects, sub par acting to say the least, and a plot that makes taking a dump feel like an intellectual activity. For the love of all things holy do not watch this movie....we all need to be very careful not to encourage anyone to think that this movie may be good in any way, shape or form. Use a buddy system if you have to. Every time you think of watching this movie call your buddy and he/she will come over and shoot you in the eyes with a high powered pellet gun until you change your mind.

PLEASE IMDB!! POST THIS!! THE WORLD NEEDS TO KNOW ABOUT THIS MOVIE!

Save yourself the torment, watch Howard the Duck instead!!
  • Preposterous sci-fi trash in which a little boy believes himself a son of an alien. Based on this account, he waits for his 'alien' father returns to bring him back for another planet. Suddenly, a strange creature appears at the little town where the boy lives with an adopted father and starts to kill the inhabitants. The premise of this misfire could have rendered an acceptable film but the final result is ridiculous, boring and unbelievable. Just Miss Kinsky is a delight to see. I give this a 03 (three).
  • There are definitely too many references to other movies and story traditions in this flick. It starts like Stanley Kubrick's The Shining (the heroine driving a New Beetle – yech!), it continues with dark humor like a novel by Kafka (heroine with a badly defined mission comes to a strange place and meets a bunch of strangely hostile stereotype comic book characters of uncertain authority), then there's a whiff of Twin Peaks (hints of sexual abuse of minors and general depravity in the backwoods), then in comes E.T. (minor bonds with extraterrestrial), then it turns out that minor's mother was regarded by the populace as a kind of a witch and was treated accordingly. On top of that, there is a clear reference to a 50ies horror B-movie. (Hence the confusing title which has nothing to do with the story told here).

The references in themselves are not really bad or a rip-off. However, it would have been more fun, had they tied all that stuff together in a more coherent, rigid and orderly fashion. The pairing of psychology and the supernatural clearly does not work here. I didn't manage to find out what story the movie wants to tell and I suspect its makers could never really make up their mind. This is a pity, as the cast is quite good. I hope Nastassja Kinski still has a long career ahead of her. Not only for her looks, but also because she really is a versatile actress who in my opinion still didn't get her share of good movie parts. Randy Quaid and Bobby Edner are equally convincing in their roles, within the apparent limits of the script. The same goes for the rest of the characters who are parodies or stereotypes.
  • It seems like light years since "Tess." Nastassja Kinski is a very skilled actress whose resolve must have been sorely tested in the making of this movie. Although this movie is not likely to be seen by many viewers, Nastassja plays it straight with a high degree of professionalism, never overacting or becoming hysterical in her role. It seems that no matter the role, her acting skills always seem to be very economical with no excess or no under acting. In other words, she tailors her performance to the demands of the role, whether large or small. Not even a thoughtful Nastassja performance can salvage this turkey of a movie. The only other sterling performance is put on by the new Volkswagen bug. Nastassja and the VW are the only ones that emerge from this movie unscathed. Nastassja has put on a clinic on how to act in a lousy movie and that is the only redeeming quality of this movie.
    This was definitely a made-for-TV horror flick, which means it's too good to be bad, but too bad to be good. Since it's a horror flick, it has to have some kind of an "angle" nowadays. And what could it be in this film?

Oh, I know! Name the movie after another horror flick, showing scenes from that earlier film inside this film, hey--and let's make the monster sort-a look like the original one, and what about story? Story? Oh, yeah. Gotta have a story, I guess. Well, let's not do a remake of the original film we're calling our film, let's think of something different. Let's make the kid think his daddy's the monster (oh, boy, is that a double entendre in this flick!). And let's end it with one of those close up shots made famous by Anthony Perkins in "Psycho". That should do it. No, no. Let's have a wacky off-the-main-roads town full of wacky hillbilly-types (isn't this a novel idea?) and wacky-type folks, such as a fat nurse who dresses and looks like Divine in this backwoods community (that's novel). Let's make her the elementary school nurse (now that's downright weird). Sounds good. You know, a town full of xenophobic psychos, or seemingly so, and people you'd expect to meet on the streets of Greenwich Village. Yeah, the town sheriff--let's make him a rube. Sounds good! You got some real weird stuff there as well as some stereotypes. Let's make the female lead a mousey type psychiatrist who talks in a stage whisper. Maybe someone in the discerning audience will wonder what her "story" is. And when she comes to town, they treat her like the weird outsider. (Well, maybe if she lives there long enough, she'll fit right in and look like the nurse?????) And what about some sex? Well, we'll throw that in somehow. Back to the story:

Let's have a kid think weird stuff, but let's make some of it real and some of it not real--maybe. Yeah, that's good, after all that's how kids are. And let's have another male lead, Randy Quaid, at least he can act. That makes this project legit. Enough said.
  • Dr Jennifer Stillman is a child psychologist who moves to a small town for a break from the big city life. On her first day placed in the town's school, she notices a strange young boy called Ben. Taking the opportunity to dig a little deeper into the clearly troubled lad, she learns that he was adopted by his father (Michael) after his real mother died and nobody knew who his real father was. However she doesn't know quite what to think about Ben's belief that his father was an alien and that he will return one day; but when someone or something is killing people in the small town could it be that Ben is the only one that knows what is really going on?

With a relatively well-known cast and an appealing title, I decided to give this film a go but must admit that I didn't think it was that good – although maybe worth giving a go if you're in an undemanding mood. The plot offers mystery that appealed to me but it reveals its secrets very early on by revealing the rubbery beast quite early on in the proceedings. In fact it reveals so much early on that I realized that there must be more to the story than this, there must be some sort of twist and turn coming at the end or else this will have been one very dull movie. For what it's worth, there are some plot 'revelations' towards the end but they are not that good and they certainly don't make up for the rest of the film being a rather dull affair that occasionally throws in some rubbery effects. This part should create tension and mystery but it doesn't and the direction the plot takes comes across rather like a series of ideas that have been lifted from better films and not fully delivered here. It has some entertainment value but it would have worked better as a short film (30 minutes long) because here it feels rather stretched.

Edner was good as Ben, he wasn't as horribly cute as he could have been and he deals with the 'running and being scared' side of things just fine. Kinski overplays her part and makes it too earnest and serious. I'm not suggesting that she needed to be all-singing, all-dancing, but there is a difference between being convincingly earnest and coming across as really forcing the performance of being earnest – Kinski does the latter rather than the former and she didn't do anything for me at all. Quaid is his usual self and is a nice addition; he does well with what he is given to work with. Support is quite good from Tobolowsky, Groener and a few others but generally this film is not about the characters – it is about the plot and, in that regard, it isn't as satisfying as I had hoped it would be.

Overall this is watchable once but it is not much cop after that. The plot marks out its stall early on and tells us a lot but then settles on that for a while, making the majority of the film come across as a bit dull. When the twists and turns do come, they are a bit flat and uninspired and it never gets anywhere near the atmosphere that it wants to have and it doesn't really work on any level. Maybe genre fans will like it but I can find little to recommend it for and would advise that there are better films with similar ideas which develop and deliver them much better than this below-average made-for-television effort.
  • THE DAY THE WORLD ENDED is another lame TV movie released as part of a Creature Features set of '50s remakes. I've yet to see one I liked! Just the other movies in the series, this bears no resemblance to the movie it's a remake of, and in addition it has absolutely nothing to do with the world ending. It's another run of the mill alien on the loose outing, complete with weird townsfolk, poor attempts at humour and a psychic kid. Somehow, some notable actors have been roped into this mess, including Nastassja Kinski (TO THE DEVIL A DAUGHTER) looking aged as the doctor heroine and Randy Quaid (INDEPENDENCE DAY) playing another weirdo, this time the stepfather from hell.

The film has the whole 'is the alien real or not?' thing going on but it's so mundane, routine and downright boring that you end up not caring. The cast give bizarre, non-serious performances which takes away from any dramatic tension that might have been built as a result of their attitudes. The alien in the woods stuff has been done to death and close-up shots of the extraterrestrial's teeth have been ripped off from ALIENS. I'll admit that there's one decent set piece, a ferocious encounter in a toilet, but it's not worth watching the film just to see that. The best action would be go and watch some of the ORIGINAL '50s creature features like IT! THE TERROR FROM BEYOND SPACE instead just to see how fun and campy they are in comparison to this lacklustre cash-in.
  • weyrleader4724 July 2014
    It wasn't the plot or the cast nor the (Aliens) nor the location I hated about this almost watchable movie.... It was lines like...

" Sometimes my dad gets so mad he doesn't really know who he's hurting" "But that's OK BC lots of dads are like that.. Right.?" Spoken by the child who blames himself for his moms death.

What was worse is that the woman treating him. AGREED. Sure its normal..

NO IT Isn't. Normal dads don't strip everything fun from their child's bedroom BC they think he was bad. And then blame the child..

Whoever wrote this script need psychological help...
  • Memlets8 January 2003
    The world doesn't come anywhere near ending in this movie, which makes the title a mystery.

The kid who plays the young boy is appropriately creepy-looking, though. The monster? Well, it shuffles along making gooshy-slurpy noises. There are some big teeth in there somewhere, I think.

This is a lame movie, but what the hey -- I watched it all the way through anyway. Such is my unaccountable love for monster movies.
  • Horror film finds a killer alien, who is just misunderstood, devouring people. A school psychologist (Nastassja Kinski) investigates the death of a student's mother and finds the boy (Bobby Edner) believes he is the son of the being. His earthling father (Randy Quaid) is also a doctor who has the boy in his care and holds that it is all in the boy's imagination...or is it? A good cast and an original premise high-light this mediocre made-for-TV monster flick. The creature effects aren't bad but the film generally lacks tension, suspense and gore and is rather predictable despite a good, well-written finale and adequate direction from Terence Gross. Interestingly, the title has absolutely nothing to do with the film (Not to mention the fact that this movie is completely unrelated to the 1956 original Roger Corman film barring the same name!). Check out the "face-skinning scene for some hilariously bad effects. 4.5/10.
  • What better way to pay homage to an old spook film than by incorporating it into the mythos of a new tale? The fact that this film reworks DAY THE WORLD ENDED by having a child conjure the title beast after seeing the original movie is great idea. Incorporating some of that small town paranoia adds just the right amount of all-too-real horror and humanity. All and all, this is a cool flick that rises way above its cheesy name.
  • Torgo_Approves31 May 2006
    Lame!
    Not much real "horror" to see here, but The Day the World Ended is a far more competently directed movie than the Z-grade trash I usually review, so I'm going to cut it some slack. What we have here is a very average supernatural movie with underused actors and a weak script.

The story follows a shrink, played by Natassja Kinski, who moves from NYC to some hillbilly village, where she meets standard-horror-movie-kid Ben (Bobby Edner), whom she takes into analysis. Randy Quaid disapproves. Stephen Tobolowsky shows up as Ben's headmaster who enjoys boning the overweight school nurse (WTF?). Seriously, I know Tobolowsky will star in anything, but what exactly was the point of this role? Why would he want it? He gets no memorable lines (and mind you Stephen can be extremely funny, read: Groundhog Day) and his character is an adult version of the teens from horror movies: he has sex, then he dies. So pointless.

Anyway, the "dramatic" scenes are overblown and the movie is randomly filmed in a jerky, uncomfortable matter, typical of made-for-TV movies. But the film held my attention and, being the bad-movie-buff that I am, I knew TV productions could be way worse than this.

The worst TV movie of all time has to be Airtight, by the way. This movie isn't very interesting, but not completely awful either.(r#28)
  • Dr. Jennifer Stillman (Nastassja Kinski) is a NYC therapist who takes a job in a small town as an elementary school psychologist. Dr. Stillman gets the cold shoulder from nearly the entire town, which seems to be hiding a dark secret. She meets and befriends a young boy who is feared and shunned by the townsfolk. Meanwhile, a series of grisly deaths occur, committed by a slithery, tentacled monster that is somehow connected to the boy. THE DAY THE WORLD ENDED is a sci-fi horror film w/ some dark humor thrown in. The characters are fun, w/ Randy Quaid being the standout as the town doctor. The school principal and nurse are also hilarious, especially during their "love" scene! An entertaining movie, w/ great effects by Stan Winston...
  • Dr. Jennifer Stillman (Nastassja Kinski) from NYC arrives in a small town to be the school psychologist. She takes an interest in the troubled boy Ben. He's haunted by his mother's death. His father Dr. Michael McCann (Randy Quaid) is probably not his biological father. Michael is hostile to Stillman's interest. Ben has horrifying visions and wonders if he has extraterrestrial origins.

This starts as a psychological mystery. It's low budget but holds a little bit of potential. Then it goes into creature feature territories. It still tries to do something out of the ordinary with it. However it doesn't work at all and the movie collapses.
    This film has it all. There's the self-referencing clip from the Roger Corman original watched by the kid on TV. An ersatz 'Alien' type monster. A a Dr. who turns to the hypo as a method of child discipline. A policeman sharing evidence with all and sundry. An old judge loosing his clothes and wandering off. A town meeting. An appeal to gun law. The interfering damsel. Flashing lights, blurry camera work, flashback, illogical plot points, and some of the worst dialogue you'll come across in many a day. Great title, story by King, music by Bernstein, starring Kinski and Quaid, what could go wrong? Unfortunately it's Brian,not Stephen King;Charles, not Leonard or Elmer Bernstein;Natasha, not Klaus Kinski; Randy, not Denis Quaid.(Well,those last two may not be so bad but...) But, just think, there are some films that are so terrible that they are made and put on the shelf, never to be released. This one was not so much released as escaped. One point of interest, the film was dedicated to James H Nicholson, who died 29 years previous to this film, but he was partner of producer the improbably named Samuel Z. Arkoff (Flash Gordon anyone?) and it was his ante-penultimate film.
    Bobby Edner did a great job in here. I loved the way he projected his character's emotional confusion and how he dealt with his apparent alien heritage. How stirring is the scene when the alien monster approaches him by leaving a path of destruction and death behind it and young Bobby shyly whispers "Dad?" towards the creature? That's awesome. Despite a rather fine cast, the entire movie was an apparent cheap production and - to be very honest - the alien was a real shame. That's what happens to low-budget productions trying to create something beyond their financial capacity. The characters were shallow most of the time and the story did not develop in a too sophisticated manner. However, I liked the movie as a whole due to a) Bobby Edner, who just aced a very difficult and emotionally ambiguous role and b) the story, which had its good basic approaches nicely delivered and was interesting to follow. I'll award it with a 7 due to my personal preferences, though it normally is not to be rated above a solid 6.
  • I would like to start off by saying I have seen all the new Creatures Features from Stan Winston and crew and, this is a very good film. THE DAY THE WORLD ENDED is number 5 of the series that started in October on Cinemax. HBO should be happy or should I say HBO viewers should be happy to have this new series as part of the lineup. Sex in the City, is fun for a while, The mind of the mindless married man, needs work and the that MOB show! please, move on. Creatures Features is truly a breath of fresh air for pay cable subscribers. All the films are different enough to give something to almost everyone, and the themes are horror with a twist of of Sci-Fi for those who like that. It's clear that Lou Arkoff, Shane Mahan, Collen Camp, Mr Epstien and the other producers, sorry guys I forgot your names. Have given HBO something that will hopefully last a long time. I encourage everyone to see the films. If you have not seen them Check your HBO listing for these titles. SHE CREATURE, HOW TO MAKE A MONSTER, TEENAGE CAVEMAN, (this one has some real issues be ready) and THE EARTH VS. THE SPIDER. If you don't have HBO get it for a while and see these films. Overall I gave them a 9.
    Nastassja Kinsky is easy to look at, and the performances aren't bad, and that's about it.

Now, if you're going to make a science fiction movie about some weird stuff going on in town, some conspiracy or secret, there are a couple of ways of approaching it. You always begin with a normal person, as this movie does with Kinsky. And there should be someone else around who behaves normally, so that the hero or heroine can have someone to talk things over with. Katherine Ross, in "The Stepford Wives", has the bosomy, candid Paula Prentice to talk to, until Prentice became part of the problem instead of the solution.

Alternatively you can have the entire town act normal until its residents one by one become creepy, or a group become, let's say, unusual. See "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" for an example of the first kind, and "Village of the Damned" for the second.

In this remake, the entire town resents Kinsky from the moment she first drives into it, even before they can possibly know who she is. Actually, she's the school's resident psychological counselor, which puts her in the position of being nosy and turning the town's resentments into full-blown hatred. We know she's resented from the first few minutes of the movie when the director has carelessly positioned the extras so that they all stand with their hands on their hips, glaring at her.

Does she get help from the school's nurse? How about the school's principal? Are you kidding? This raises an interesting question right off the bat. If no one in the town wants a snoopy school psychologist, then why did they hire one? I have it on now in the other room. Somehow it was mistakenly included in a box of DVDs someone sent me. I won't watch it until the end because I don't care what the town's secret is. I imagine, though, that, since this is a remake of a cheap science fiction film from the 50s, and because the cover tells me so, that a monster appears courtesy of special effects. The appearance of a modern CGI monster is, I take it, the chief reason for the appearance of the movie. I can't think of any other reason.

Who would enjoy it? I think lots of kids around 10 or 12 would get a kick out of this undemanding and commercial pap. And, meaning no disrespect, I imagine some adults with a taste for cheaply done science fiction movies with slobbering creatures killing off characters would also enjoy it.

Not my cup of tea though. Not a soupçon of originality. Can't speak for everyone.
    this is one hell of a movie...and talking about hell literally!! The title is misleading and it has nothing to do with the end of the world. I wasted 1 hour of my life since I saw the 3/4 of the movie on fast forward. The story is a childish science fiction b movie. The plot is silly and the effects are for kids. It is really a low budget production. The acting is even worse. They all act like they play in a Hollywood blockbuster... Do yourself a favor and do something else instead of watching this one! I try to find a reason why I saw it till the end, and I can only say that every second passed I hoped for something different or a big twist... I have never written such an awful critic and I love movies, but I hate it when they mislead the public.
  • This modest little film packs a pretty good punch for anyone willing to take it for what it is. The story was well paced and the ending was unexpected (by me and I think by most posters). The performances were all at least adequate; Bobby Edner's was better than that. Unfortunately the same cannot be said of most of the reviews posted here. Half the reviewers couldn't spell Kinski's name even while they drooled over her looks. Many complained about the cheesy special effects (or rather 'effect' since there was only one), apparently unaware that the cheesiness was deliberate. Some reviewers seem not to have understood the denouement though it was clearly spelled out. Others seem to have watched the entire film expecting it to be a remake of its namesake and came away shaking their heads at the fact that it wasn't. I give the film a 7 (would be 7+ if there were such a rating) but this review thread as a whole rates a 3 (and that only because of a few posters who actually understood the filmmakers' intentions).