User Reviews (1)

• M.T. Vasudevan Nair is one of the finest writers in Malayalam. This film directed by I. V. Sasi piggybacks on the inherent merits of the story. I. V. Sasi has never bloomed as a director of consequence though Malayalam cinema has produced top-notch filmmakers such as Adoor Gopalakrishnan, the late G. Aravindan, Pavithran, and M.T. Vasudevan Nair himself.

I am great admirer of "M.T."'s writing and his initial work as a director ("Nirmalayam"). That film won the top National Award--The Golden Lotus. Another written work of "M.T.", called "Perumthachan" directed by Ajayan is a fascinating film.

In "Rangam" Sasi plods along with M.T's story. He has the beautiful actress Shobhana to help him as he fumbles and makes a mess of every scene that tries to present sexual foibles as a crime in a society that holds on to high pegs of morality. If Sasi had concentrated on the moral dilemmas presented by "M.T"'s story, the film could have been elevated beyond the banal. The female lead character is not developed; the male characters are. Mr Sasi probably feels dances develop the characters. Mr Sasi may be superior to many Malayalam filmmakers, but he just does not make the top grade. "M.T" on the other hand is a talented individual and needs wider recognition beyond the shores of Kerala.