User Reviews (173)

• Honestly, I've never understood the hate for this movie. Is it the best buddy cop or action comedy movie? Obviously not. Have both Eddie Murphy and Robert DeNiro made better movies? Of course. Does that mean this movie sucks? Not in my opinion.

Most of the people who watched this probably came for three reasons:

1. They liked either one, or both, of the two main stars.

2. They like buddy/buddy cop action comedy films.

3. They came because of both of the first two reasons.

Now, as I said, obviously it's not the best movie, but it was originally intended as a satire, or at least as a little jab, at the 'buddy cop' genre, so naturally it's not going to take itself incredibly seriously. Some have made the case that the film ends up becoming the kind of movie it's supposed to be making fun of, and while that's true, it still ends up being enjoyable.

Critiques:

If you like the loud, potty-mouthed, confident, hilarious, charismatic Eddie Murphy from the 48 HRS or Beverly Hills Cop movies, you will get a little of that, but not as much as you're probably hoping for. Now, obviously, Eddie will have some funny scenes just because he's Eddie Murphy, but he is still limited by the script, and it doesn't seem like he ever is able to really cut loose or be himself, and some of his lines can feel forced at times.

Now, while I didn't find the main plot to be that bad, it is still not the best, and it's not super-engaging. The plot is that two very different police officers (Eddie Murphy, Robert DeNiro) are approached by a TV studio who are looking to make a hit buddy cop show, and the two are coerced into going along with it as the stars. This does prove for some interesting moments, but it's not enough to carry a movie on.

The other main plot, which one could argue, devolves the movie into becoming just like any other buddy cop movie, is the suave, sophisticated, nefarious, foreign arms dealer who rolls into town selling high-powered weaponry. It's not incredibly interesting, but it serves its purpose, and it does take a back seat to the TV show plot, at least until the third act.

As for comedy, this flick did have some funny moments, but it just didn't seem to really try, and other times, it didn't try at all. Overall, it is funny, but not as funny as a lot of the films that it's trying to be.

Postive Things:

The action, at least what's there, ends up being pretty well-done, at least the large-scale car chase about halfway through, the bar fight, and the final climax. I'm glad that the movie didn't focus solely on action, as the action wasn't the point of the movie, but the action that is there, while fine, did't feel entirely realistic, or just not super engaging, but I did like it.

I did enjoy the disagreeable chemistry between the leads, and I definitely think that Eddie Murphy saved this movie, even if he wasn't at the top of his game.

Director Tom Dey hasn't done much, but he does have "Shanghai Noon" as one of his credits, which is honestly a much more enjoyable film. I'd definitely recommend that one over this film.

Overall, I did like it, but it didn't need a sequel, and I'm glad one never came. 6/10.
  • StreepFan1264 October 2002
    I don't care what some of the reviews said, this movie was funny. The thing with this film is that you can't expect anything else except to be entertained. This is not some intellectual comedy, this is a clever popcorn movie. The three main cast members are great and work very well with each other. Shatner is a standout in the supporting cast as himself, a former TV cop, brought in by Russo's character to coach the cops on how to be "TV cops." Those are by far the funniest scenes. If you want to be entertained and just sit back for a laugh, then watch this movie.
  • I cannot understand why so many people did not like this film. Robert De Niro was on top of his game, delivering his lines with such aplomb, one has to believe this is his everyday demeanor. Granted, the film seemed to take on many buddy-film conventions while trying to make fun of the concept, it goes without saying this film was genuinely funny. From the police dog, to the fact Eddie Murphy didn't annoy the heck out of me, this film is a real keeper. Rene Russo also evened out the rest of the cast perfectly, establishing her role so it does not interfere with the budding relationship between De Niro and Murphy.
  • Of course, I could be wrong but I seriously doubt that the film in question, Showtime is not to too many folks the greatest movie ever made. However, Showtime is a pretty decent buddy action/comedy that is fairly entertaining. Eddie Murphy and Robert De Niro are a mismatched pair of cops that are working together and are being filmed on a reality cop show called Showtime. Both of these actors are great at what they do with De Niro being an excellent dramatic actor Eddie is a comic genius and while Robert De Niro is one of the best actors of his time Eddie Murphy is equally talented in the comedic realm. Also, both of these guys worked with director Martin Breast and made two of the best action comedies, Beverly Hills Cop and Midnight Run. Showtime can't really hold a candle against either of these classics, but still is pretty fast paced, lighthearted and action packed entertainment. Both Murphy and De Niro are great here, but the film itself is nothing spectacular. You could do much worst for an evenings entertainment and this is in my opinion, Eddie Murphy's best modern comedy that suites my tastes much better than the crappy family movies he has focused on since his classic period in the 80's and early 90's.
  • This is a funny movie. The Bob & Eddie Show feel of it could lead to a sequel but I doubt it will make enough money.

Deniro proves he can be a great Straight man again with some hilarious and spontaneous moments. Eddie was fun to watch working with people instead of CGI animals and rodents. Rene Russo- well she's just fun to watch anyway and she's played her part excellent.

Some wild and unusual stunts, especially the garbage truck scene. This was worth seeing in the theater. We needed a good laugh and got many from the movie and the great out-takes at the end. DO NOT LEAVE at the start of the credits!

At least a 7.
  • I went to see this movie not expecting much, but was pleasantly surprised by the teaming of Robert De Niro and Eddie Murphy. It was a fast paced movie and the hour and a half went by fast. This one certainly won't win any Academy Awards but it was a change of pace for Mr. De Niro. He is good in comedy. Overall I enjoyed it.
  • This was a pretty good modern-day comedy with straight man Robert De Niro doing a good job with comedy and Eddie Murphy just playing his normal whacked-out character. You get a good combination of humor and action in here. It had the normal cliché the ending, the kind you can see coming a mile away, but it's okay; it didn't hurt the film.

William Shatner was very entertaining in a supporting role and I think that was De Niro's real-life daughter playing Rene Russo's TV sidekick in the movie.

A decent cop-buddy film that isn't memorable an entertaining way to kill an hour-and-a-half.
  • Robert De Niro and Eddie Murphy star in Showtime as a couple of cops- a quiet, efficient Dirty Harry-like cop and a cop who is deep down an actor, respecively, who are brought together by an accident and forced to take part in a cop-buddy reality TV show for a hungry for ratings producer (Rene Russo). For the first two acts, it delivers a good time in parodying old cop/buddy movie cliches and shows how De Niro and Murphy have some intelligent chemistry in a comedy, but the third act dips by leaving the parody and becoming what it's making fun of. In all, a conventional and surely enjoyable escape on a weekend day. B+
  • About the best thing that can be said for `Showtime' – a throwaway cop buddy comedy starring Robert De Niro and Eddie Murphy – is that it demonstrates that an inferior script can be at least partially overcome by first-rate performances.

You can't go too wrong when you have acting talent of this caliber working for you. De Niro and Murphy portray two LAPD officers who are recruited to be the central `characters' for a new `Cops'-type reality TV show, wherein a camera crew will follow the two on their appointed rounds as they chase suspects, round up criminals and, all in all, make the streets of LA safe for the common, decent citizens who reside therein. De Niro's Mitch Preston is a reluctant participant in the series, while Murphy's Trey Sellars is a wannabe actor with stars in his eyes who sees this as his golden opportunity to make it big in show business.

The initial problem with `Showtime' is that it feels more like a `high concept' exercise than an actual movie. Despite the fact that there are a number of funny moments in the film, too many of the scenes fall flat both as comedy and as action drama. The saving grace is that De Niro's understated cynicism provides an effective counterpoint to Murphy's over-the-top enthusiasm, resulting in just enough comic tension to wring laughs out of even the weakest of material. It is a joy to watch these two pros at work and they are nicely complemented by Rene Russo as the driven TV producer whose brainchild serves as the excuse for the story. William Shatner, playing himself, also generates some laughs, often at his own good-natured expense.

Yet the film itself is a failure. One of the prime dictums of the screenplay is to try to show the discrepancy between police work as it is portrayed on the screen and police work as it really is. In fact, the film opens with veteran De Niro instructing a class of elementary school children about the mundane realities of life on the job. Yet, the film betrays its own theme by itself indulging in all the inane shoot-em-up and car chase scenes it is supposed to be satirizing (the scenes are not exploited for comic effect, which might have lent some much needed satirical bite to the proceedings). Even worse, the `serious' side of the story, involving drug deals and gun running, fails to generate any interest or suspense.

Oh well. De Niro and Murphy are such likable comic actors that the movie, for all its many weaknesses, manages to whiz by without inflicting too much boredom and pain. `Showtime' is a completely forgettable and innocuous little time waster, but fans of these particular actors will at least appreciate their efforts.
    I put down this vehicle from Robert De Niro and Eddie Murphy, and Murphy in particular the first time but having seen it again, recently, I can see that it does have some very funny bits.

This is by no means to say that this is the greatest buddy comedy of all time, but really what can you do to the already exhausted subgenre? What director, Tom Dey, has tried to do is make it a satire of the clichés of buddy comedy and the media. Early in the movie the executive of a cable network asks: "How is this different from Cops?", when Chase Renzi is pitching the idea of a reality show dealing with De Niro's character, Mitch Preston (hilariously boring name by the way). That's when I saw it in a new light that I hadn't previously noticed.

The idea is to show all the elements of the buddy comedy and put a twist on them. De Niro's reluctance to star in the show and to partner up with Murphy is right out of every cop film you can think of. You can say that De Niro is actually playing himself asking: "Why would I do another movie playing a cop?" Chase Renzi is portrayed to be a Hollywood phony but if you look at her opening scene again, she is merely doing it to save her job. She somehow sees the ridiculousness of what she is doing but she wants to succeed despite that. One line says it all: "Who doesn't want to be on TV?" Maybe this is reading too much into what is essentially a lightweight film, merely set to entertain, but it does give it a little spin that I hadn't noticed before.

As for Murphy. You got to applaud him for looking this ridiculous. Trey wants to be a star so bad that he is willing to sell out everything he comes in contact with. Murphy was a big star and maybe it struck a nerve that it is all so fleeting.

The plot with the gun is of course pretty boring. The action sequences are nothing special, except the end which required a lot of effort both from cast and crew. One thing that I noticed about the villain is that he is dressed like an 80's pop star. George Michael comes to mind and that adds to the whole media spin.

So, I trashed it the first time around but what the heck; if you are gonna do this, why not point out how ridiculous it really is and De Niro and Murphy took a big chance doing this.
  • SHOWTIME(2002) (3/5stars)

Starring ROBERT DE NIRO EDDIE MURPHY RENE RUSSO And WILLIAM SHATNER

In the new cop-buddy film Showtime, Robert De Niro plays Mitch Preston, a tough NYC cop, who in the opening credits distinctly points out that being a cop is nothing like the movies portray with their clichés . Eddie Murphy plays Trey Sellers, a cop who dreams of acting in films. After Mitch shoots out a TV camera at a crime scene, a network executive (Rene Russo) decides that they will sue the police department, unless Mitch agrees to be part of their new reality based cop show. When Mitch is forced to become part of the show, he ends up getting Trey Sellers as a partner. Trey is nothing like Mitch. Trey is goofy, doesn't follow standard police procedures, and doesn't take his police work seriously. Mitch is the exact opposite. So here comes the average cop-buddy film, right? Two opposites, forced to work together, who in the end patch everything up and become best friends? Not exactly.

What makes Showtime different from the rest of the cop-buddy films in the genre, is that the whole situation is different, and is not exactly what you'd expect. Never before has a cop-buddy movie had the officers followed around with a camera. So with this in mind, this movie might be great, right? Again, not exactly.

The problem with Showtime is, it could have been so much better. The camera really could've gotten some funny stuff. But in this film, instead of focusing more on the fact that they're constantly being filmed, most of the film we don't see the camera man following them. We see them at home, or talking about things, doing things. We never see the camera man with them. The film focuses more on what it's like to be followed by a camera, instead of WITH a camera. What I mean by this, is that we are shown footage of how Mitch and Trey react AFTER filming. It's like a celebrity bio. We see them behind the camera, their ordinary lives, and how they cope with paparazzi and spotlight. However, in Showtime, that's not what we want to see. We want to see the camera chasing them the whole way through the movie. We want to see Mitch and Trey react on the spot, dealing with the camera THERE and THEN, not later. It would be so much more of a fun movie, if we could just see Mitch and Trey, the whole time being followed on the street, getting into funny situations instead of what Showtime gives us-a look at how Mitch and Trey deal with it after their work day is over, and the cameras stop rolling. I'll admit, this happened a few times in the film, but it should've been more. The director really missed out on a funny movie here, by not portraying it the right way, and not taking it in the right direction.

We find the plot in this film, to not really be taken seriously at all. No one really cares. At one point, Mitch and Trey get a big lead, and the camera doesn't show them react at all to it. They just go off, and we see them joking around driving in the car again.

The acting in Showtime was good, but the chemistry between the characters wasn't all that special. Nothing jumped out at me with DeNiro and Murphy. I've seen much better chemistry between actors. It wasn't horrible chemistry, but it wasn't great, either.

All in all, what Showtime could've been, it isn't. It more or less forgets the cameras are following these cops, and just leads us away from caring about anything going on. Showtime is like a mix between Lethal Weapon, Beverly Hills cop, COPS, and Turner and Hootch. It may sound like a weird combo, but it's true. Some of those films/shows are great, but if you combined them the wrong way, with wrong directing style and progression, what would you get? Showtime.

So, do I recommend this film to you? Believe it or not, yes, I do. Because though it wasn't great, and wasn't half of what it could've been, it's still got some funny moments, and Robert DeNiro gives us the ‘ol tough guy cop image like some of his other films, and Eddie Murphy redoes his `Break all the rules/procedures, goof off and triumph!' attitude. So though Showtime isn't great, a one time viewing isn't going to hurt. DeNiro's expressions throughout the movie help a lot. That's why I recommend renting and viewing the film once. 3/5 stars, enjoy!
  • If you've seen the trailer for this movie, you pretty much know what to expect, because what you see here is what you get. And even if you haven't seen the previews, it won't take you long to pick up on what you're in for-- specifically, a good time and plenty of laughs-- from this clever satire of `Reality TV' shows and `Buddy Cop' movies, `Showtime,' directed by Tom Dey, starring Robert De Niro and Eddie Murphy.

Mitch Preston (De Niro) is a detective with the L.A.P.D., and he's good at what he does; but working a case one night, things suddenly go south when another cop, Trey Sellars (Murphy), inadvertently intervenes, a television news crew shows up and Mitch loses his cool, which results in a lawsuit by the television station that's going to cost the department some big bucks. Except that they may be able to get around it, thanks to Chase Renzi (Rene Russo), who works for the station and likes what she sees in Mitch-- enough to pitch an idea to her boss for a `Reality' cop show, that would feature none other than Mitch Preston, whom Chase sees as a real life `Dirty Harry.'

Her boss likes the idea and gives Chase the green light. Now all she has to do is convince Mitch to participate, which shouldn't be too hard, since the station has agreed to drop the lawsuit if he will do the show. But Mitch is a cop, not an actor, and he wants nothing to do with any of it-- that is until he has a heart-to-heart with his boss, Captain Winship (Frankie Faison), who puts Mitch's future into succinct perspective for him. And just like that, the show is on. Oh, yes, there's one more thing; for the show, Mitch is going to need a partner. And who do you suppose they're going to come up with for that? Let's put it this way: Trey Sellars is more than one of the usual suspects.

This is Dey's second film as a director, his first being `Shanghai Noon,'-- also a comedy-- and he's definitely showing a penchant for the genre. From the opening frames he establishes a pace that keeps the story moving right along, and he allows his stars to make the most of their respective talents and personal strengths, including their impeccable timing. With stars like De Niro and Murphy, Dey, of course, had a leg up on this project to begin with, but he's the one who keeps it on track, demonstrating that he knows what works, achieving just the right blend of physical comedy and action, and employing the subtleties of the dialogue to great effect.

There isn't a more natural actor in the business than De Niro, and he steps into Mitch's skin like he was born to it. And after years of doing hard-edge, cutting drama (in which he turned in one remarkable performance after another), with such films as `Analyze This,' `Meet the Parents' and now this one, he has firmly established his proficiency for doing comedy, as well. Mitch is not an especially complex character; he is, in fact, something of an `ordinary' guy, but therein lies the challenge for the actor-- to make him believable, to make him seem like the guy who could be your neighbor and just another member of the community. And on all counts, De Niro succeeds. He's Mitch, the guy you run into at the grocery store or the bank, or say `good morning' to on your way to work; who likes to watch the game on TV and has a life, just like you and me, who happens to make his living by being a cop. It's the character Mitch has to be to make this film work, because it makes the `ordinary guy in extraordinary circumstances' angle credible. It's one of those role-- and work-- that is often wrongly dismissed out-of-hand, because it looks so easy; and, of course, this is what makes De Niro so exceptional-- he does make it look easy, and he does it with facility.

As Trey Sellars, Eddie Murphy turns in a winning performance, as well, and it's a role that fits him like the proverbial glove. Trey is a cop, but also an aspiring actor-- and a bad one-- and it gives Murphy the opportunity to play on the over-exuberant side of his personality (reigned in enough by Dey, however, to keep him from soaring over-the-top into Jim Carrey territory), which works perfectly for this character and this film. From his melodramatic take on a part during an audition, to his throwing out of one-liners-- delivered by looking directly into the camera (which as far as he's concerned isn't even there) while filming the `reality' show-- Murphy's a riot. And he has a chemistry with De Niro that really clicks (which is not unexpected, as this is another of De Niro's many talents; his ability to connect with and bring out the best in his co-stars, all of whom-- evidence will support-- are better at their craft after having worked with him, including the likes of Meryl Streep, Christopher Walken and Ed Harris, just to name a few). Most importantly, this is a part that allows Murphy to excel at what he does best, and he certainly makes the most of it.

Russo makes the most of her role as Chase, too, a character who isn't much of a stretch artistically, but whom she presents delightfully, with a strong, believable performance. And William Shatner (playing himself) absolutely steals a couple of scenes as the director of the show.

The supporting cast includes Drena De Niro (Annie), Pedro Damian (Vargas) and James Roday (Camera Man). Well crafted and delivered, `Showtime' is a comedy that's exactly what it is meant to be: Pure entertainment that provides plenty of laughs and a pleasant couple of hours that will have you chuckling for some time after. It's the magic of the movies. 8/10.
  • Like some other review said, I gave this movie a 10 because it made me laugh and it's well produced. De Niro and Murphy roles are amazingly delivered by each of them, and even the dog scenes are to make you laugh. My favorite part is when Russo describes Mitch's apartment as a good match to his personality as she opens the window and she finds that the view from there is a brick wall. My other favorite part is the dog with his nose covered in white dust. Another scene is Mitch trying to get out of his new Hummer without being noticed by his fellow co-workers. One of my heart breakers is when they try to take away everything Mitch given to decorate his apartment to make it look sophisticated, but he holds on to the dog that he didn't even want in to begin with.
  • slightlymad2230 January 2018
    Showtime (2002)

In 2002, Murphy tried to move away from the kid friendly movies to disastrous box office effect. He started off the year by teaming with Robert De Niro (who was reinventing himself as a comic actor) in this Buddy Cop Picture.

Plot In A Paragraph: Two very different cops are forced to team up on a new reality based television cop show, while tracking down the manufacturer and distributor of an illegally made semi-automatic firearm.

It starts off well (especially the first 30 minuted or so) and I was enjoying myself. Sadly, it ends up becoming the type of movies it is making fun of. So it's early promise is not fully lived up to, but I still liked it.

There is decent chemistry between the two leads. Every good scene in this movie features De Niro and Murphy. Usually without specially effects or action. William Shatner shows up to give Murphy and De Niro acting tips which is a lot of fun.

All in all, it's an enjoyable action comedy for me.

Showtime ended 2002 as the 70th highest grossing movie of the year, with a domestic haul of $38 million dollars. Against an $85 million budget.
  • I thought this film worked for the most part. The idea reminded me a lot of the similar - and IMHO more superior - LAST ACTION HERO; in that we have an action film that pokes fun at the conventions of action films.

I really love Robert de Niro in this. For a long time I was a bit sceptical of the gushing hype around him as a brilliant actor - "best in the world, ever" type thing. To me, the top actors can do everything from light escapist entertainment, to deep serious profound life- delving drama. It isn't the ones who just play artsy-fashionable grunge character roles that please the academics and serious film buffs, and hardly anyone else. But Bob in this role has finally proved to me he's truly an all-rounder. His prestigious critical reputation may be tarnishing a bit by doing more broadly entertaining type roles; but to me he's finally shown that he can do pretty much everything you throw at him - any faults are now usually the production or the script. He's got the range and experience to pull virtually any character off down pat.

And Eddie Murphy does cement himself as a top professional comic actor. His role in this however. does seem to be a shade lighter riff of his role(s) in BOWFINGER. And I have to complain that the lighting and make-up in this film doesn't really compliment him that well. His extended African-style brow ridge comes up very prominently in a lot of scenes, which is a bit of a distraction. But, as stated on the DVD commentary, he does prove that he is the type of star who is funny, but when he holds a gun - it's serious.

Storywise, the show is pure escapist fun. It does feel a little bit like a lot of standard Hollywood action scenarios and shots are just cobbled together, going through the same old formulaic motions. But in this particular case, that actually what makes it work. The story relies on the setups and climaxes being familiar - almost clichéd. The viewer needs to be orientated very quickly as to what is happening and WHY it is happening. Not much room for anything TOO fancy or unusual. Don't get me wrong - staying with the old scene clichés can get stale REAL fast. The industry constantly needs fresh blood and ideas all the time. But it needs to be in moderation, and for a tangible reason - not just show off the glitzy new concepts for the heck of it. A bit of old and a bit of new actually works best.

I have to say the villain of the piece actually is very good, with the right balance of humor and menace. And the henchman played by T J Cross is very cool and fun - especially the prison interview scene, which really cooks.

And finally, kudos to William Shatner for really providing the comic highlights of the story. The guy is a pure comic gem, and deserves all the applause he can get. I think he's earned it!
  • lorijs12 December 2002
    I saw this on dvd recently and it's a fun movie. It's nothing great and the story isn't the greatest but it has many funny moments. I did notice some of the cut out scenes would have allowed the movie to have a bit more sense. The continuity was pretty poor. But still it was good for a laugh.
  • jim_452011 February 2003
    By no means is this film a blockbuster, but it is still a basic comedy and fairly entertaining. I saw this during a Saturday matinee and realized how appropriate that was. It made for a good matinee film to kill an afternoon.

Murphy made for a good self-centered introvert. De Niro, as always, can easily adapt himself to any role. Even though he was supposed to be the serious character, it was obvious by the end that he probably had fun making this film.

This is definitely one worth renting for a rainy weekend.
  • Absolutely entertaining. That is all I can say about this movie. This is one of the first movies in years that I can say I did not want to shut off halfway through. Murphy is great, it's good to see him in this kind of role again, and De Niro is fantastic as always.

Showtime is about a cop, Mitch Preston (DeNiro), who after a huge screwup, is forced by his department to do a reality cop show. Preston is teamed up with Trey Sellars (Murphy), a cop who wants to be an actor, and the fun begins! Rene Russo is also in this film, and she is beautiful as always.

There are some extremely funny moments, as well as some great stunt scenes. Let's hope that Eddie Murphy keeps this kind of role up, as I miss his Beverly Hills Cop days.

Definately the best cop buddy movie since probably Lethal Weapon. If you are a fan of the Lethal Weapon series, you will definately love this one.
  • bkoganbing29 September 2008
    Watching Showtime I got the impression that the producers got the idea to put Robert DeNiro and Eddie Murphy just for the sake of having a film that co-starred the two of them. Other than that I can't think of a reason to justify the film's existence. Not that it isn't amusing in spots, it certainly is, but the concept is so completely ludicrous that the laughs are somewhat muted.

The thing that really got me was Eddie Murphy's character. I can't seem to wrap my mind around the concept of someone being a police officer as strictly a day job. When I was working person at New York State Crime Victims Board I had to deal with all kinds of cops and they ran the gamut between the really dedicated and some real slugs, but I can't think of one who thought that this was just something I do until I get my career going in an area far afield. I mean, can you really see Eddie Murphy or anyone else going through the rigors of the real Police Academy, not the screen version, just to get a day job?

Anyway DeNiro is your basic hard working detective who's on the trail of a major gun dealer. He's undercover and Murphy is part of his backup. So what does the showboating Murphy do, he calls a reality based TV series like COPS to film the action.

So DeNiro's bust gets blown sky high, but the producer of the show gets some good footage of Murphy and DeNiro and decides on a new reality based television series. So these unwilling partners get joined and try to continue working DeNiro's case with all the TV cameras around.

Eddie Murphy's a funny guy, I loved him in Beverly Hills Cop and in the Doctor Doolittle movies, but he's done better things than Showtime and Robert DeNiro certainly has.

I guess Murphy wanted a chance to work with DeNiro and DeNiro must have gotten one hefty paycheck to do this film.
  • Despite of all the negative criticism I really enjoyed this movie. I am not saying this lightly. I love movies and am fairly picky about them (my home DVD collection is over 9,000 movies - some are great, others are OK, a few I do not like at all). And, to all those with criticisms: this is a comedy. I simply love this movie. It is light, funny, and very restful. I am aware of all (or most) of the deficiencies but I love it. The comedic talents of Eddie Murphy and Robert DeNiro are tapped (fully - for this type of movie). Do not compare it to other movies with these star actors, simply enjoy it. The cast is great and, I believe, that the purpose of this movie was fully accomplished. If you want a really "easy-going" and very restful night - watch this movie. DeNiro and Murphy simply had fun making this movie, so should we (watching it). And, please, do not be so negative. Do not expect Godfather performance or Meet The Parents from DeNiro, do not expect comedy blockbusters performance from Murphy... It is a completely different genre, and it made me relax after a hard day work. Your sides may not split from laughter, but it is still VERY funny.
  • It's exactly what I expected from it. Relaxing, humorous and entertaining. The acting couple was awesome, as well as the scene selection. I personally recommend this. It's kind of the movie that can be seen by whole family at the same time without anyone feeling uncomfortable or getting bored. This cute movie will make you smile, and laugh too. And the action scenes are tasty. Classics of modern american comedy. And very well done.
    Watching this film again, after a few years since the last time, I was shocked to see that we users at IMDb thought so little of this film. To each his/her own, but I find this film just as enjoyable as the first time. My reviews are typically harsh and unconventional to the norm. My feelings on this film also do not follow the crowd. Simply, this is a genuinely funny film. Whereas, Murphy's roles and acting has waned over the years, this is one he can hang his hat on. De Niro, how does he morph himself into an appropriate character in most films, similar yes, but different enough to make you forget about his last film. Russo's expressions and reactions are dead on target. I have a renewed appreciation for this lady.

Many good laughs and humorous story about two implausible police partners.
  • I've read a lot of reviews about Showtime on IMDb and many seem to miss the mark. I've noticed a lot of reviewers calling this the typical "buddy" film. De Niro is in no way Murphy's buddy throughout most of this movie. In fact, part of the comedy of this film is De Niro's reluctance to be friends with anybody.

Murphy really shines in this one. He is back at doing what he does best, acting like a complete ham. He is a cop who wants so much to be an actor and enjoys being in the reality show. De Niro is perfect as the straight man who thinks the entire thing is stupid. I thought the two of them had great chemistry and were a perfect casting choice. Rene Russo is also great as the TV producer. Of course, she loves everything Murphy does and tries so hard (along with Murhpy) to get DeNiro going too.

A lot of reviewers have touched on the hilarious scene with William Shatner, reprising his role as TJ Hooker to train Murhpy & De Niro how to "act" like cops. But, my favorite scene involves Murphy in the "confessional" hoping he could get a Wesly Snipes-Like cop to team up with instead of De Niro. Man, that was hilarious! Comedies often depend on your personal tastes. Sure you could poke holes in the plot, most often you can with a comedy. I was psyched to see the pairing of Murphy and De Niro...I think it brought out the best in Murphy, which was nice to see him at the top of his game again. I can only imagine it was a great honor for Murphy to be paired with the great De Niro. Rating 8 of 10 stars.
  • Let's get this out of the way:

I like Eddie Murphy.

I like Robert deNiro.

I like Renee Russo.

I like cop-buddy-pictures, God help me.

I even liked Tom Dey's last film, Shanghai Noon.

Sometimes, I enjoy being mindlessly entertained by films. Give me a fun little picture any day; I don't always need intellectual stimulation from my celluloid.

But I *hated* Showtime. It was ninety minutes of life-force-draining shlock that made me depressed and p***ed off for the rest of the day. I only spent $5.75, but that was at least $5.74 too much.

I'm not going to go into the plot -- enough reviewers have done that already -- but suffice it to say that from the very first frame of the film (a schoolroom gag used about twenty times in the last ten years), one could pretty much telegraph the rest of the movie across the board. There were nearly no surprises, and except for a small chuckle or two here and there, few laughs. The theater was half-full, and I wasn't the only one shifting around in my seat.

This is my first review on IMDB -- I never felt like taking the time to review a film here before, but I gladly took a few extra minutes out of my day just to warn people about this movie. Go watch something else, or read a book, or hit yourself over the head with an anvil -- any of these will bring you more satisfaction than watching Showtime.
  • This movie never really decides what kind of film it wants to be. It attempts to be a bit of a clever cop-movie spoof, but stumbles early on and never regains it's footing.

Clearly, there must have been good material here at one time to attract the talent. Russo, Murphy and DeNiro play well enough together, and they get a lot of help from the supporting cast. They do a decent enough job with what is basically an "unlikely-cop-duo-versus-the-euro-trash-bad-guy" film (or a clever play on one, we are never sure). Lots of things go *boom* and bad guys are assumed to be bad, justifying further explosions.

The real crime here is that it could have been better. The ham-handed directing and haphazard editing destroyed what small amount of clever pacing and ironic humour that _may_ have been intended by the author.

The screenplay must have been better and, judging from the "outtakes", made a lot more sense than the finished product.

Don't blame the actors on this one. This film may be an example of what happens when a writer gets a chance to produce his own picture, and hooks up with a bad director.

Pretty bad film. The pacing is awful and the editing is criminal. Rent it to have a laugh and eat some snacks.