User Reviews (226)

• As far as I'm concerned, this movie gives us the perfect 'time out' from the daily grind. It's sweet, charming, and has a fine cast. Outstanding, of course, is Colin Firth. The reviewers who claim that this movie is great for the "under-13 and over 80" crowd just don't get it. There are many of us who will love Mr. Darcy forever, and who are in dire need of more Colin Firth movies. He is, of course, absolutely gorgeous in the movie, and has a lot of screen time. I would pay to watch and listen to him read a telephone book, so I will see this movie again and definitely will be among the first in line to buy the DVD.

It was strange to see Anna Chancellor as his fiancee, a part which she played in much the same way that she portrayed Caroline Bingley. Her character wasn't good enough for Mr. Darcy, nor is this one suited for Lord Dashwood.

Although numerous people have criticized the sweetness of the movie, I, who am hopelessly romantic, loved its ending. I left the theater feeling better than when I entered. (I felt the same way when "Bridget Jones's Diary" ended. Actually, I couldn't wait to see it again, since the final kiss was probably the best kiss I've seen in a movie. I digress. Sorry.) Although I realize that this movie isn't going to win any Academy Awards, it is still a wonderful way to spend an hour and a half.
  • This was a cute, clean movie that you can sit down and watch with your kids. Daphne has never met her father, so she takes off for England to find him. She discovers he is in the middle of an election for some public office. Daphne has to choose between becoming what he wants her to be and staying true to herself. And dad has to make a choice about what is really important.

In response to the reviewer who slammed the movie as being anti British, and saying it was trying to say the American way is better, that is utter nonesense. This was not a typical British family--they were royalty and associated with people like them. Do you suppose the real Queen would find someone like Daphne amusing? Daphne's boyfriend was a decent young man who was also a bit off the wall and his own person--but he was an ordinary English kid, not a member of any royal family. There are circles here in America where Daphne's free spirit attitude would be frowned upon, too. Every country has "classes" that are snobbish and uptight and every country has "Daphnes"--good kids who just want to be themselves.
  • mllea11 February 2005
    Okay, I love this movie. It's sweet, it's simple, it's cute, and fun. It's clever and well put together. The scenery is great (what's not to love about London)? And Firth and Bynes were adorable. Colin Firth is great no matter what movie he's in, but Amanda Bynes (I've been a fan of hers since she was on Nickelodeon) was fun to watch and a perfect fit for the role of fun-loving Daphne. The rest of the cast was good as well, I loved the jokes that were thrown in and the silly/cute subplots going on (Peach and Pear). I appreciated that this movie didn't take itself too seriously, yet was certainly not all fluff or nonsense, either. I loved how this movie primarily dealt with a father-daughter relationship (so refreshing from other so-called teen movies that often only deal with a teenage romance) and I also loved how the main character, Daphne, was not angry or angsty, she was refreshingly fun and optimistic. Overall this is a good, clean fun movie that can be appreciated by all ages and audiences.
  • This review written in late 2013 at a time when Ms. Bynes career seems to have derailed and we wish her the best. In her career to date, the two most accomplished works she has left for us are this film, WHAT A GIRL WANTS, and the work she did a few years later, SHES THE MAN. Will deal with the latter first. SHES THE MAN is one of a small sub-sub-sub class of Hollywood products that attempts to build a movie around the notion of a woman disguised as man. There are at least a dozen of these floating around the IMDb. The writing in SHES THE MAN is way above average, and the supporting cast is perfect. But it is Bynes who steals the show there, possibly doing the most impressive male-female switch in film history. And speaking of stealing the show, that is exactly what she does in WHAT A GIRL WANTS. (The title never seemed a good match to the actual film, which builds slowly and successfully to a satisfying conclusion). Playing opposite a stellar cast (Colin Firth? Wow!) Bynes provided the perfect mix of energy, youth and charm to move this movie into a class of its own. She "owns" the role and once you have seen the film, it is hard to imagine anyone else doing it.
  • I was expecting a really bad, boring teen film like the Lizzie Mcguire movie, but this movie was entertaining. It's about a girl in America, Daphne, who goes to England to see her dad for the first time. He's a Lord, who is running for political elections, so of course, his handlers don't want any bad publicity. He takes a liking to her, but his finance and snooty soon-to-be stepdaughter don't like her. Daphne turns out to be a hit with the poparazi and has a lot of fun. After going to so many fancy parties, she starts to forget who she really is, but her new guy makes her realize where her true values lie. Along the way Lord Dashwood sees he's missing out on adventure and his true love, Daphne's mom. Will he give up the political dream to become an adventurer again? Watch to find out, but since this is a light-hearted film, you probably know the answer. There are some funny scenes throughout. And I liked the music.

FINAL VERDICT: An entertaining clean, fun film that all ages can enjoy.
  • "What a Girl Wants" is a re-tooling/re-telling of William Douglas Home's "The Reluctant Debutante" with the devastatingly charming Amanda Bynes in the title role; in fact 'charming' is the operative word here -everything about the movie is charming, and charmed.

The casting: impeccably superb. Amanda never hits a false note throughout the proceedings, creating a character who is genuinely believable, lovable and worth cheering for (there was a LOT of clapping in the theatre at various points in the film - I clapped AND whistled, myself); Kelly Preston is radiant as Daphne's mother Libby, a musician who still deeply loves Henry, Daphne's father, but has gone on with her life, and Colin Firth (as Daphne's father, Henry Dashwood) is a revelation here, in that he literally becomes more and more attractive as the tale unfolds - as he becomes more and more who he really is underneath his repressed exterior (the scene where he dons his black leather pants and prances in front of the mirror to the horror of his prim prude of a fiancee is priceless), and Oliver James as musician Ian, Daphne's love interest, makes a memorable splash here as well. Everyone else is perfect in their roles too (even the dog rocks).

The screenplay and direction: completely on the mark. Never gets heavy-handed, contrived, mean-spirited, cloying or tedious, believe it or not. The charm is sustained throughout in a dazzling balance of comedy, heartfelt emotion, conflict and growth, culminating in one of the most satisfying resolutions I've experienced in a movie in a long time.

Occasionally, a movie can have predictable elements without that being a bad thing; sometimes predictable elements can be pleasurable -- you realize what's going to happen but you also realize you're in such capable hands that you actually anticipate the playing-out of the scenes you know will occur. Sometimes it's not WHAT is done in a movie but HOW it's achieved, and WHO is doing the achieving.
  • The folks banging this movie have to get real. It's about an average girl (Bynes) who gets to meet her dad, who's in the process of running for major political office in England. It's not about Yankee superiority over the Brits (sheesh!), it's a simple fantasy about the effect a teenage girl has on her once-stuffy dad in stuffy society. If you're politically offended by this movie, imagine Amanda as a carefree Portugese girl visiting her long-lost dad, a member of U.S. Congress from Massachusetts, and chill out. That being said, Amanda Bynes is a cool and attractive leading lady/girl and plays very well with the other characters in this film. It's all been done millions of times before, and it's not Oscar material, but it was a pleasant diversion for me.
  • I saw the movie with my mid-teen sister who's exactly the target audience of this film. Now there are many films that are not for everybody, they do not excel in acting, directing, screenplay or effects to be called a 'good movie'. They are meant for certain part of the audience who, if it sticks to the specific formula, just love them. Now I wasn't meant to love "What a girl wants", but I guess, thinking from my point of view, it's a good diversion from me.

The script is above the level I was expecting and young Amanda Bynes acted quite well. Colin Firth seemed a little wooden. There are bits of little innocent humors in places that makes it a relief to watch. The shooting locations and the sets are fine. The soundtrack too is catchy. So even the storyline is very very shallow, one should not complain or analyze too much about such films.
  • I have to say from all the movies that I have watched in the last few weeks with Colin Firth since I recently became enamored of his talent in the A&E production of "Pride and Prejudice," this movie is perhaps the best one that I have seen.

It has all the elements of a good movie and Firth at his best. I love the characters and relationships and how they interact with each other. Daphne (Amanda Bynes) is perfect as the teenage daughter searching for the other half of her being and life and finding her father. Her cute little smile and perky American approach no matter what is happening to her portrays her "can do" attitude and determination in being herself.

And I just have to say that this is Colin Firth in his element! He is fantastic as the Henry Dashwood character (hmmm . . . name seems Austen-ly familiar, don't it?) who suddenly finds out he is a father after 17 years. He is tender and sweet and unsure. Probably one of the best scenes ever in the film is during the "midnight snack" of Coco Pops in the kitchen where he learns that his wife didn't leave him for another man and had always been his even after all the years between. The emotions and thoughts rush over his face as if he is speaking them out loud and the viewer can see his internal struggle to remain calm with the overwhelming feeling of the bitterness he had experienced for all those years.

There are so many perfect and good scenes in this movie with very little bloopers that it really can touch a viewer's heart. The areas especially with Henry and his daughter are extremely special.

The last part of the film is symbolic when Henry Dashwood has a heart-to-heart with his mother, withdraws his candidacy, hits the man who had affected his life so extremely, and then walks into the bright sunlight with a deep breath. The viewer realizes that it is more than just being outside in the sunlight but that he finally came out of the dark after so many long years. He has finally found who he is and what he wants to do.

Firth basically took my breath away. With the subsequent scene of him winning back his daughter and then his wife, the viewer has realized that this is one of those pictures that are forthrightly, just a deliciously good picture. This is one that makes you believe in old-fashioned love and fairy tales which seems to be so non-existent in today's film making industry.

Firth has tremendous talent in saying something extremely vital by NOT saying something. Each scene where he was having discussions with Libby (Kelly Preston) either on the phone or in person, the viewer could read both characters thoughts and feelings and the amazing chemistry that existed after all that time apart.

It was also better for the plot to have this international relationship struggle. If it had been in America – especially these days – the press would have made a big deal out of the girl's "native" upbringing but it probably would not have affected the father's political life.

Everyone excelled in this movie and kudos to the director and screen writer for bringing such a sweet story to light.

One last word is that no review of this movie can be complete without discussing the amazingly hilarious scene of Firth squeezing into his "old" black leather pants and t-shirt – and earring? – and dancing in front of a mirror. Each time that particular part plays, everyone bursts out laughing! He was just perfect!

And lastly, Darcy was a gooder but Dashwood beat 'im hands down! Maybe it was because Dashwood can laugh at himself, sees the funny side of things, and chose to come into his own self-discovery of who and what he was and wanted to be.

I still love Darcy but in this case, I'll take Dashwood!
  • I was actually surprised by this movie. Yes, it was probably conceived by a marketing team. Yes, it isn't very original and yes, some of it is embarassingly obvious. That being said, I was very entertained by this movie. I thought it was well directed, and well acted. I wouldn't be surprised to see Amanda Bynes start taking on more serious roles in the future with great success. This movie does what it set out to do: entertain teenage girls. Anyone who is a fan of lighthearted tween comedies should check this movie out. It is better than most of the teenage girl movies out there and much better than that stupid Big Fat Greek Wedding movie. **1/2 out of ****
  • I went into the theater today expecting a good movie. I was wrong. Why was I wrong? Because this was a GREAT movie!!!

The trailers made this film look INSANELY cheesy. Since I know from experience that trailers are highly inaccurate, I was expecting a PARTIALLY cheesy flick. But what I saw had almost no cheese to it at all. What A Girl Wants, despite its unfortunate title, is what a LOT of people want, combining drama, comedy, romance, and self-discovery in an hour and 45 minutes of enjoyment.

I didn't say insight, mind you, I said self-discovery. This is purely a narrative, not a deep thought movie, and it wouldn't have worked any other way. Kudos to Dennie Gordon for not trying to accent a theme that we're already familiar with, rather, she just throws it into the story, almost casually, so that we see the message of individuality but aren't repulsed by an overly blatant moral.

Many of this film's detractors say that it's a rip of The Princess Diaries. Not true. Yes, it's an adaptation, but it's based on "The Reluctant Debutante", which was around for DECADES before Diaries was even conceived. Besides, while it is a little formulaic, there are a few twists.

Many say it portrays inaccurate American/British stereotypes. Not true. Daphne and her mother are CLEARLY presented to be NOTHING like the average American, and Lord Dashwood only behaves so properly because of his political position.

Amanda Bynes as Daphne Reynolds finally gets a chance to show of her incredible dramatic skills. (Moody's Point had too much of a satirical tone to properly show this.) Bynes has her glory moments of comedy alongside her touching moments as the girl who wants to understand who she is.

Colin Firth as Henry Dashwood. Come on, who didn't already know Firth kicks butt? He is the center of every scene Bynes isn't in, and he carries that weight well.

Eileen Atkins as Lady Dashwood does a tremendous job with her supporting role, who is far more crucial to the plot than anyone expected.

Oliver James handles his theatrical debut well, showing much more emotion than the previews indicated. Libby Reynolds isn't a fully round character, but that's the script's fault, not Kelly Preston's. Both are capable singers, and considering that Bynes's one major performance flaw is lack of musical ability, I'm glad these two sang instead of her.

In fact, basically the entire cast here was superb.

See it, you'll be glad you did. Fine entertainment for almost everybody.
  • I have read several reviews of this film, and I have to say that men just aren't going to "get" this one. Our local paper's reviewer said he just didn't get the "stars in the eyes" of the women leaving the theater. His review didn't even MENTION Colin Firth. Well, I will! Colin is what is going to attract women to this film, and he does not disappoint. He is the best thing about the movie. Amanda Bynes is cute, and I enjoyed her too. The rest of the cast is quite good too...Anna Chancellor (Caroline Bingley, for those Pride and Prejudice fans...), and Eileen Atkins, particularly. I found the storyline about the daughter longing for her father and the father who just discovered her quite sweet and moving. Yes, the script was a bit sloppy and the humor often falls flat, but overall, Colin Firth's performance made it worth seeing for me. This is definitely a chick flick, though :)
  • All of these terrible reviews actually make me laugh.

Let's enjoy this movie for what it is- a fun loving teenage romantic comedy. This move is fun, quirky and has a nice storyline. If you're here for something deep and meaningful- this isn't the film for you. A nice to watch film with a fun storyline? This is for you!
  • What a stultifyingly dull and inept portrayal of Britain! This movie was obviously written by an American who doesn't understand our country, and has probably never even been here (at least not for any length of time).

There were so many inaccuracies, not least the total misrepresentation of our political system, and the hopelessly outmoded portrayal of our "class culture".

This is an England that does not exist, and has never existed!

Worse still was the plot, which presented a nauseatingly sentimentalised picture of family life, not to mention a hopelessly unrealistic adolescent relationship.

If you want a good British movie, you'd be much better off with "The Ghost of Greville Lodge", or "One Against the Wind".
  • Ten teens in our family (including extended family) went crazy over this movie!! After the first four girls hounded me about how great it was I bought DVD's for all the family girls (young and old) and every single one of them were wild about it. Being a Grandfather I thought that it would be just another "teenybopper" flick... After our first viewing my wife and I decided to have a surprise movie night for friends (most all are our age). What an excited group with the most used comment being "It's a shame that really great movies like this are rarely produced anymore!!

A really good movie to watch.....
  • Put an attractive, young tv-star in an airplane to Europe and you got your movie-hit. Where Hillary Duff went to Italy and became a singer, Amanda Bynes tries out England to meet her father, some big hot-shot up and coming politician. And those are just two movies from last year. The complete list of comparable stories is endless...

We've all seen it before. Nice mom, cute girl, mean stepsister, father is about to mary to wrong woman... or maybe he doesn't? It's as cliched as it gets, but 'What a girl wants' wasn't as bad as many of those movies, nor as irritating as the 'going to Europe' 'Lizzie McGuire' movie.

The big plus for the movie are it's main characters. Amanda Bynes is perfect in her role as young American girl discovering London, and Colin Firth is always a pleasure to watch (even though he played in the dreadful 'Bridget Jones' movie).

A couple of things bugged me though. First off, those Englishmen have a serious security breach, with Bynes breaking in the house of a Lord and later breaking in at a fashion show with Prince Charles attending. Somehow I guess not...

Biggest problem though was the 'Ian' person. We all think Bynes is gonna fall for him but she doesn't phone him, and later on she goes back to America without even saying goodbye... such an odd thing to do for a girl in love.

The story isn't mindboggling whatso-ever, but I'm sure it's 'what the girls want' who like the Bynes show in the USA. Way better than the Duff movie, that's for sure. 5/10.
  • jotix1001 April 2004
    Dennie Gordon has directed this comedy with sure hand. The play by William Douglas-Home was a hit in the London stage and it was filmed before as The Reluctant Debutante with Rex Harrison, Kay Kendall, Sandra Dee, John Saxon and Angela Lansbury in the cast. This new take on the same story is fun basically because of the cast that was assembled to play the main characters.

Amanda Bynes has the right amount of charm to make her Daphne an endearing teen who is in search for a father she never knew. Colin Firth is a very good as the father. Kelly Preston has very little to do and it's a shame. Eileen Atkins, as the would be grandmother doesn't fare better, as it's the case with Jonathan Pryce.

I recently caught up with it on DVD format and all that can be said is that it was mildly amusing as a typical comedy of this genre.
    This must be one of the worst movies I have ever seen. It is a shame that Colin Firth agreed to appear in it, although at least we came to see a lesser known part of him: that of the leather-clad arm-swinging Angus-Young-style-jumping former rock musician.

Sorry, but Amanda Bynes can't act. This would not be so noticeable in your average teen flick; the problem here is that her "charm" supposedly makes her be the object of attraction for a whole bunch of lads - even a cranky old princess gets fond of her, although the lady seems to like no one else, apart from her lapdog. Mmm...

I immediately distrust any movie in which the transformation of a character is shown not by virtue of the plot or acting skills, but simply by a change of wardrobe and hairstyle. Scene #1: Amanda Bynes in jeans and T-shirt - the "free, fun and relaxed" teenager. Scene #2: Amanda Bynes in long evening dress - the composed young miss with a circumspect expression on her face. She has changed! Has she? Mmm...

This brings to mind a previous comment by another user: "why does Amanda Bynes insist on one of those crap 'dancing like a berk while trying on clothes' montage scenes in every film she's ever made?" Yes, in fact, why are these 'trying on clothes' scenes in so many teenage films? Probably it has to do with the 'transformation of character' I mentioned before: the theory of filmmakers is that, as a teenager, you express yourself through what you wear. And since teenagers are still building their personality, this is symbolized with rapid, successive changes of clothes. Convinced? OK, right, maybe it is just because you need 90 minutes of film and only have material for 80.

Oh, and those awful "everything fits perfectly" parts of the plot: mom appears at the ball exactly when she has to, perfectly dressed for the occasion; sudden boyfriend Ian is ubiquitous and has 'chosen' to perform all kinds of low-profile jobs, although he attended the best schools and therefore (very convenient) has at least a piece of the necessary substratum to be rightfully considered a peer by "Britain's snobbish upper class"; etc.

Better see something else.
  • This was a silly movie that contained every possible stereotype of the British upper class that exist. They all live in huge guarded mansions, filled with masterpieces of art and gilt furniture. None of them have the ability to show affection, except to dogs and horses (even stated in the film!). There is always one royal who loves uninhibited Americans with bad manners. Their families will disown them if they marry outside their class--and of course the lovers will always be blissfully happy, though poor as church mice and produce charming, balanced children. The wicked stepmother/stepsister are always snobbish, social climbers. British politicians can always find the right words for the public but cannot manage a coherent sentence in their private lives.

There are plenty of American stereotypes as well. Hippy mothers are perfect, drive silly vans, etc.

What's with the obsession with Jane Austin? Why is Firth's character named Dashwood? I can't believe I am the only person to notice this!

Acting critique: Firth over-acted to the point of being laughable. The wicked steps were one-sided, silly characters. Amanda was cute, though, which is what I guess was the point of the movie.

Bottom line--harmless drivel, a film to share with your romantic 10 year old, if there isn't a good Disney film available.
  • Elbel28 September 2006
    Like, WHOW, this film sucked!! Can Amanda Bynes be more annoying...erm NO! I don't think so. Don't know how many "woww" "ahh" and "woohoo" sounds she made, but her shrieking frickin' annoyed me.

The story was tame, and so done before, and done better I might add! Girl grows up without her father, wants to see her father, but of course he's some snobbish aristocrat moving in circles she doesn't belong in. Drama, drama, drama! Naturally, as always, things turn out alright.

Colin Firth instills some awe, but then: he always does.

To be fair, haven't seen Miss Bynes in any other films so don't know if she always sucks this bad, but based on this one: go find another profession!

Overall, *YAY* Colin Firth; *AHHH* (horrified scream) for the rest of the film.
    Pretty bad. Not horrible, and Colin Firth is entertaining to watch, but come on... Where do I start... Ok, I have problems with the story: an upbeat musician woman living in New York is celibate for 17 years, pining for a guy she left and she knows won't come for her? Give me a break. Also, the guy is engaged, but we never see him having any affection towards his fiancee. That's unrealistic as well. Going on: the main character girl and her mother look from the very beginning "rich" - expensive hair highlights (waitresses can't afford those), and then the girl keeps going on shopping sprees when in London - that's privileged behavior, there is no way she grew up the way they are trying to portray. Also, Amanda Bynes was really bad for that role. Even if the "daughters" were switched, the casting would have been better. Amanda Bynes is dull, unbelievable as a new NY working class girl, unbelievable as a daughter of a musician, and as a poor girl who finds herself in a fancy castle. Then, the "boyfriend" - he would have been ok, but why oh why did he have to be "born privileged"?.. He could not be a simple boy? The makers of the film could not fathom that a "cinderella" could like a regular kid? This makes me sad. If I were a black person, I'd say this whole film reeks of White Privilege. Except, I am white (and don't believe in White Privilege), and this film just reeks of privilege - the way "poor people" are portrayed is super unrealistic, and the fact that the "regular boy" had to be secretly half-royalty is deplorable.

Now, here is another thing that makes this film bad. It's giving false hope to all those abandoned daughters who grow up idealizing their fathers who are never ever there, and are out somewhere busy with their careers and with marrying other women (yes, I am one of those fatherless girls). The thing is, the fathers NEVER come around, and I can say that now. You wait and wait, and it just does not happen. Ever. The father would be pleasant to you at the rare occasions when you meet with him - once per five years or so over the decades - but he will NEVER be there for you. There is a good film "Dirty Girl" that shows the realistic side of this. And "what a girl wants" sucks. And, it plays to the dream of all kids of divorces that their parents would end up together. They won't and this is cruel to feed this plot line to all those kids.

The only good thing about this film is the name.
  • 12 April 2003. This above average comedy about growing up improves on its predecessor pushing the envelop between comedy and drama, smoothly combining both elements making this movie a much more intelligent, mature, and delightfully entertaining movie. Both the teenagers and the adults in this movie get equal time and the ending isn't the result of the teenager's initiative but of the adult. The physical comedy is funny, except for the obvious take from Miss Congeniality and Sandra Bullock's fall on the carpet. The ballroom dance scene almost gets out of hand in stupidity but makes up for it in its dramatic flourish at the end. Overall, this is a well balanced and funny, dramatic movie that is a solid impressive movie. The ending is even a balanced compromise, a reflection of reality, and one that is not seen in most teen comedies. Bravo. Eight out of ten stars.
    Based on the play "The Reluctant Debutante", the story starts with the young son of a British noble family meeting a young American woman, on vacation in Morocco, and they have a marriage neither are sure is valid, but the British man's retinue locate them and make the woman leave, and she travels back to New York City, and gives birth to a daughter. 17 years later, the daughter learns of her heritage and impulsively flies to London and meets her father, now a member of Parliament, who had never known about his daughter until that moment.

Then the real story begins. The father and the people with him are unsure what to do with the daughter, especially with the father running for reelection, he contacts her mother, who is angry with him because she was sent home and he never contacted her, and the daughter is confused about what she has done, and what she should do now, especially when she meets and falls in love with a young local man.

The story might best be described as wish-fulfillment fantasy, but is pleasant enough without being too soppy or unrealistic. Good performances by the cast and good pacing help the movie, and while it has no deep meaning it is still good entertainment.
  • This romantic comedy is really cute and a must watch. Amanda bynes plays the part of the main character so effortlessly . the movie plot was very well written and it is not too predictable
  • swdan17 August 2003
    I saw this film on a plane, which perhaps gives some indication of its overall quality. However, it has its moments of clarity from time to time.

The main problem with the film, though, is the horrible casting decision of selecting Amanda Bynes to portray a "free spirit." This presents a huge stumbling blook to the audience -- how are we supposed to believe that such a doe-eyed girl is a street-savvy New Yorker? Her hair is too straight, her wardrobe too designer to be a really down-to-earth girl. (Also, she's got bank! How else could she have skipped town, on Virgin no less [I wonder how much they paid for that snippet], without getting any money from her mother?) Hearing lines 'you were born to stand out' describing Bynes' character provokes laughter... As if any girl who wears a Kangol hat now and again is cosmopolitan!

Apart from that minor (I jest) flaw, the movie isn't terrible. A few of the characters are mildly interesting, enough to keep me somewhat attentive. The film could certainly stand to do without the cheesy "I yam who I yam" moralizing, but, in the end, the film was entertaining, I stayed awake, and I guess that just about says enough.