User Reviews (551)

• I used to disdain Wrong Turn as a hollow derivative of The Hills Have Eyes and for some time actually preferred the sequel, until checking it out again recently and rather changing my tune. It is still derivative of The Hills Have Eyes to an extent, Wrong Turn being among the earliest of the newer rash of inbred cannibal against resourceful prey films and The Hills Have Eyes being if not the earliest then certainly the first definitive entry in the genre. But the two differ crucially, the earlier film comes from a critical eye, a director who has watched society and sentenced it, while Wrong Turn is simply a fun horror film. And its a whole lot of fun, with some rather wonderful traits that do not seem to often appear among later films in the genre or even mainstream horror in general. The key to it all comes in the very first scene as scaling a rock face becomes a terse nightmare for a couple of cannon fodder youths. The girl falls enough to incur broken ribs and likely unconsciousness, maybe even broken legs and back but still manages to get up and keep moving. The entertaining fusion of tension and silliness seen here informs the rest of the film and it really works, especially since things never aim for truly gruelling nastiness, just engagement and fear. Thus the car crash that brings the protagonists together yields less angry recrimination than instead cooperation and good vibes and in the films barmiest moment characters perform feats similar to that which nearly killed Jackie Chan on Armour of God, one of them even with a gunshot wound to the leg. And the inbred villains of the piece can wield a bow and arrow like Robin Hood, as well as climbing trees like the most fearless of gymnasts. Its all thoroughly silly but great fun at the same time, and it never really jars with the more frightening moments (there's one real winner of a suspense sequence here), unlike say The Hills Have Eyes '06 with its ill fitted marriage of brutality and cheesy action. The gore here is almost well judged as the silliness, there isn't a whole lot of grue but whats there is mostly short, sharp and effectively savage without any appearance of trying to make the audience sick with realism. A smidgen more would definitely have been beneficial though, particularly when the villains are buying the farm. Acting is generally reasonable, a stone faced Desmond Harrington bears little charisma, but Emmanuelle Chriqui emotes to good effect, Kevin Zegers and Lindy Booth make for amusing stoners and in the best written part Jeremy Sisto has chilled out but ultimately heroic ball. And Eliza Dushku delivers mondo hotness which is a big plus. The handiest thing about the characters though is that they are all written sympathetic rather than obnoxious and self absorbed or resolutely vapid, there's a sense that the writer cares about them rather than just treating them as cannon fodder and it makes for a much more involving experience. I'm not sure I have any serious complaints about the whole film actually, it really rubbed me the right way. Actually I have one, it needed nudity. In a fun trashy horror film, nudity is virtually an essential and there ain't none here. Still righteous stuff though, strong 7/10 from me.
  • What's worse than a leather-faced madman chasing you through the bush with a chainsaw? How about three!!

`Wrong Turn' stars Desmond Harrington as Chris Finn, a man who is late for a very important interview. Finn takes a back country road to avoid a traffic jam and ends up involved in a car accident with three debutantes (Eliza Dushku, Lindy Booth and Emmanuelle Chriqui) and their boyfriends (Jeremy Sisto and Kevin Zegers). The group splits up as they try to find some help. Unbeknownst to them, they are being stalked by an unspeakable horror. Living in the woods around the crash is a family of cannibalistic mountain men who are overtly grotesque from generations of incest. Before the group knows it, they are in a fight for their very lives.

`Wrong Turn' was in one word an utter shock to the system. There hasn't been a film this gory, grotesque and chilling in a very long time. Not since the 1970's `Texas Chainsaw Massacre' has a horror film such as this been made. The best way to describe the experience is that if you took 2001's `Joy Ride' and `Jeepers Creepers' added 1972's `Deliverance' then threw them all in a blender. You may come up with `Wrong Turn'.

The tension in this film is harrowing and relentless as it bats you back and forth. You are exhausted and maybe even queasy when you come out of the theatre. But if you love horror films then you probably have an ear to ear grin as well.

I really liked some of the early editing of this film by director Rob Schmidt, who allows the scares and shocks to come with brilliant accuracy. I also liked how Schmidt barely shows the mountain men throughout the film. The parts we do see are horrific but the filmmaker relies heavily on the chase and shock than on the gore. Schmidt could have easily dived down the gore shoot to hell but he made a wise choice that works in spades.

It's the film's harrowing tension and atmospheric pursuit that overshadows the young stars that make up the cast. Dushku is strong and emulates some of her `Buffy the Vampire Slayer' character, Faith in her portrayal here. Dushku loves to play debutantes with edge and her character here has a lot of it. I wasn't extremely familiar with Desmond Harrington before this film but he plays a good leading man. The rest of the cast play typical generic 20-somethings from the horror film franchises of old. I have always liked Lindy Booth but she has nothing to play with here and the same is goes for Jeremy Sisto. But come on, this isn't exactly an intelligently written and detailed drama.

I liked `Wrong Turn' purely because of its shock value and its no holds barred return to classic horror. It is always in your face and it doesn't let go till the credits. This film isn't for the faint of heart. What a rush! (3.5 out of 5) So Says the Soothsayer.
  • I really like this movie. I've seen it 3 times, once in the theatre and then twice on DVD (the unrated version). There's a big difference between the version shown in theatres and the unrated version: as usual, the theatre version is cut a lot, leaving out some pretty gruesome scenes that are not for the squeamish or faint-at-heart.

The premise for the movie may be a little cliché (mutated, possibly inbred, group of people living in the remote countryside, wreaking havoc on innocent tourists), but, oh, the way it's carried out! I liked it more than the original The Hills Have Eyes (haven't seen the new one yet).

If you're into horror, I highly recommend the unrated version of Wrong Turn.
  • I decided to see this movie mainly out of boredom plus an eye-friendly cast was promised, so i basically thought it'd turn out to be another standard popcorn horror flick. Thankfully, what i discovered was notably more enjoyable.

Yes, it is true to say that it does follow along the same vein as many other horror movies in that many key aspects of it are quiet predictable. However, in spite of this, a distinct empathy can be felt for the majority of the protagonists, who you really don't want to fail victim to the insane, murderous, mountain psychos. Not alone this, but I feel that it is safe to proclaim, as i'm sure have and will many others, that the atmosphere is one of well created nail biting tension, which lasts throughout the duration of the film.

In fact, I found the atmosphere that the movie exuded to be so compelling that I failed to notice certain flaws that would normally aggravate me in a film. I of course will refrain from elaborating on these details so as not to spoil the viewing for those who have yet to see it.

What I really liked about this film was that it didn't try what so many other horror movies as of the last seven years or so haave tried- and that is to be ironic. It is just a horror movie, with the distinct and generally successful aim of scaring and entertaining. Its atmosphere undeniably achieves this, however its not alone, it is true to say that this film is not for the squeamish. Several scenes prove to be quite graphic.

In this respect, I would have to admit that Wrong Turn doesn't have the makings of changing the world of movies as we know it, but it does however, have the capacity to push you to the edge of your seat. My advice is, if you're a horror fan, its well worth the watch!
  • A group of six young people find themselves stranded in the mountains of West Virginia. When four members of the group leave to find either help or a phone they stumble upon a cabin that at first appears to be deserted. But what they find in the cabin proves that it is actually inhabited and not the place they want to be when the owners return home. Just as they are making their exit, a truck pulls to the front of the house and three inbred mountain men enter the house carrying the dead, butchered bodies of their friends with them.

What Works:

• Inbred Hillbillies. Movies with backwoods murderous inbred hillbillies have always fascinated me. Some of my favorite movies (The Hills Have Eyes, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Final Terror, etc.) feature this kind of character. These characters are frightening because you know they're based in reality. There really are people out there who look and, to a lesser extent, act like this. As a bonus, the make-up used on Three Finger, Saw-Tooth, and One-Eye is excellent. It's another argument in favor of traditional quality latex make-up.

• No Jokes. Other than a few bits of comedy that fit within the framework of the plot, Wrong Turn is played straight. Most movies made today with this many horror clichés would turn into one big self-referential jokefest. I'm glad Schmidt avoided going down this road. There is no attempt to go out of the way to create comedy or fill the movie with inappropriate one-liners that only serve to ruin mood and atmosphere.

• Scenes of Violence. I found many of the scenes of violence particularly well done. These inbred hillbillies are brutal and savage. They care not for human life. Their methods of killing are primitive but effective. One of my favorite scenes involves a bow, an arrow, and human eye. Nice!

What Doesn't Work:

• It's Not West Virginia. My wife is from West Virginia and I've been there any number of times. I could tell almost immediately that the film wasn't actually made in West Virginia. I wasn't surprised to discover that the actual location was Ontario, Canada. If you're going to film a movie that is set in West Virginia, why not film it in West Virginia? This just bugged me throughout the entire movie.

• Why doesn't Eliza die? With the exception of Eliza Dushku's character, every other victim the inbreeds run across is immediately slaughtered. So why did they (or better yet, why does the script) treat Eliza differently? Why is she spared long enough to be rescued? Obviously I know the answer, but it's an inconsistency in Wrong Turn that I didn't appreciate.

Wrong Turn is a nice throwback to the 70s movies I grew up with. It's vicious, raw, brutal, and a lot of fun. In short, it's my kind of horror movie. Just thinking about the movie should make my family's annual October camping trip to West Virginia a more interesting.
  • I went into the screener of WRONG TURN not expecting much. After the film was over, I was pleasantly surprised. The plot has been recycled a few times, but this version of the "kids stranded in the woods" scenario has some good points. We have seen this before in Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and more recently in X-Files Episode "Home". A group of young adults are stranded deep in the woods of West Virginia, and are hunted by a "family of cannibalistic freaks. Wrong Turn is very predictable, and the gore is abundant, but the film is delivered in an in-your-face style, which kept me interested. The acting is on par with most slasher flicks, which is good enough to get the point across. All in all, it was a good waste of a boring thursday evening.

I do want to spoil much, but the tree top chase is very well done. Any fan of the genre might be surprised by Wrong Turn...I was.
  • Wrong Turn is about a group of 6 people (in two different cars) make a wrong turn (hence, the movie title) in the back woods of West Virginia. One car runs over some barbed wire which leaves them stranded in the middle of the road, when another car crashes into it due to not paying attention. They are in the middle of a forest where cell phones get no reception and not a gas station or any other convenience for miles and miles. Most of the group decide to walk back the way they came in hopes of finding help while a couple stay behind with the vehicles. This is where the mountain men begin their murder spree. They obviously began well before the movie started but for these 6 people, this is where it starts. It is also probably the most graphic and creepy part of the movie.

The special effects on the mountain men were great. They remind me of someone but I can not put my finger on it. They were creepy enough in the way they walked and grunted that they were not too much of a joke. I would probably run from these people if I was alone in the woods. Much better than the Boogeyman from Boogeyman, anyways. Some characteristics remind me of the main monster in Monster Man, though.

I thought the cast for this movie was great. I have always been a big fan of Eliza Dushku and the other two girls, Emmanuelle Chriqui and Lindy Booth, were no slouches themselves. In fact, if there were 3 girls to be stranded somewhere with, I would have no problem if it were these 3. You could certainly do a lot worse.

The only guy in the movie that annoyed me was thankfully knocked off first. It was like they were reading my mind. Jeremy Sisto and Desmond Harrington were pretty likable and did a good job overall. The acting in this movie was pretty good, especially considering it was a horror movie.

The movie borrowed a little bit from a lot of different movies, most notably Deliverance, which one of the characters even mentions by name, but in todays day and age, when we have seen it all, it was a pretty good effort. 8/10
  • This movie WORKS on many levels. Good actors, a solid storyline that doesn't drag, great make-up and visual affects, and fast paced directing make this movie a must see for the serious horror fan. Wrong Turn is a great throwback to the classic horror movies of the 70's and 80's, with the an excellent production budget which a lot of the older classics simply could not afford to have.

Wrong Turn did not disappoint this reviewer, and I really think it's too easy to compare this movie to "Deliverance", as other reviewers have. Regardless, I would rather watch these guys chase Eliza Dushku through the woods and up the trees any day than to watch Ned Beatty squeal like a pig! :-) Wrong turn is a truly scary and very creepy horror film. I get the "willies" every time I watch it! You really want these characters to make it out alive. Dushku is fantastic in her role as the strong female survivor. She plays it with everything she's got and it shows! The scene in which she is taken back to the cabin and tied to the bed.....well, it's a great piece of acting just as good as any of our beloved scream queens from years past.

The rest of the cast also delivers consistently throughout the film. All in all this is a great film and a class apart from what has been released to us horror fans in the last few years. I enjoyed it tremendously, and would recommend this movie to anyone who is a horror film fan!!
  • Wrong Turn tells the story of Chris Flynn (Desmond Harrington), a doctor who gets stranded in the middle of nowhere after being late for an important meeting. In hopes of getting to his final destination in time, Chris takes a back road through the woods of West Virginia to avoid the traffic jam and accidentally crashes into a car which belongs to a group of friends led by the somewhat bitchy heroine, Jessie Burlingame (Eliza Dushku). Having two wrecked cars, the group decides to wander through the woods in hopes of getting help, unaware that they are about to get stalked and killed off one-by-one by a group of hideously deformed inbred family who has been living and feeding with human flesh in that area for more than 30 years.

Having seen the film countless times before, I was always strangely fascinated by it, but I never truly understood why. I did always love it, but there was always something about it I just really dug. Having seen the film again now, I've finally realized what, and the reason is very simple - the film is just a very well-done homage to all those bad-ass 70s Horror films, and just combines the highlights of those flicks in one simple and highly-enjoyable Slasher film.

Another reason why I probably like this movie so much is because of its fantastic and unique eerie atmosphere. Throughout the whole movie you repeatedly get that uncomfortable feeling of being watched by someone, and the scares which constantly appear through the movie just add to the atmosphere. The tension and the special effects are very well done too thanks to Stan Winston who creates a really disgusting and menacing inbred family, but he does it so good you don't even look at them in that way; sure they are scary as hell and look horribly deformed, but beneath that all you still do realize they are all just a bunch of humans, well at least sort of.

The cast is really good too. The two leads, Desmond Harrington and the lovely and talented Eliza Dushku, do an amazing job here and since they both play likable, strong characters, you really root for them and want to see them live. The other cast members, Jeremy Sisto, Lindy Booth and Kevin Zegers, are all great actors, but they don't have really much to work with here since their characters are basically wasted, though Emanuelle Chriqui really stands out and plays the supporting female lead role very good and convincing. Even though you already know from the start who is going to survive, there's still plenty of tension and scares present throughout the whole movie, so if you think this is just another typical, gory Slasher flick - think again.

One thing I'm very impressed with here is the directing. Schmidt does a terrific job, and you can say he's a horror geek by just watching several clips from the movie. We get some "Deliverance" references now and then, a little bit of "Last House on the Left", "The Hills Have Eyes", "The Texas Chain Saw Massacre", and loads more. The kills are very effective and absolutely gory too, so if you are a fan of brutal death scenes, you will almost definitely dig the deaths.

The film does have some weak points though. Some of the dialog is a bit cheesy in parts, and the ending is really predictable, clichéd, and a bit rushed if you ask me, but the film still really impressed me and is definitely one of my favorite movies now.

So in short - Wrong Turn is a movie you either love or hate. I definitely belong to the first group for a couple of reasons, and even though I do realize Wrong Turn is not the best film ever, I love every second of it for one simple reason - it's a simple, highly enjoyable and scary no-brain throwback to 70s Horror movies, so if you're just looking for a fun and gory Horror film, Wrong Turn is then definitely a right turn, and an amazing film you should definitely not miss! Highly recommended.

• I rented 'Wrong Turn 1 & 2' a couple of nights ago as I am a huge fan of horror films, and I thought that it wouldn't hurt to watch this even though I didn't know anything about the films. Well, I am glad I watched it as it was better than I thought it would be.

Chris Finn (Desmond Harrington) is on his way to a job interview and is driving through the mountains of West Virginia. There is then a chemical spill on the road, so being short on time, he decides to take a different route, an abandoned dirt road in the middle of nowhere. He then by accident crashes into a car sitting in the middle of the road. He then meets a group of five friends on a hiking trip who include Jessie (Eliza Dushku) whom are stranded on the road. Two people stay at the car, and another group goes for help, only to find a sinister cabin nestled in the West Virgina woods, that is home to a trio of cannibalistic mountain men horribly disfigured from years of in-breeding. They then make a mad dash for their lives through out the woods, only hoping to make it out alive. But, will the trio let them leave their hunting grounds?

This is one of those films which are as cliché as you can get and the plot is predictable all the way through. But still, I did like 'Wrong Turn'. It had more than just the classic kids get lost in the woods and get killed. There was a little spark to it and I loved the fact that the killers were deformed mutated humans who were more closer to real monsters, than the more routine big bad guys. One thing I hated is the fact that the actors are so beautiful and glossed over even when they come out of burning towers, running through the wild and their throats are parched without water. But, I liked it & some of you who may not have seen too many horror movies like me may like it.

• anyone who expects any movie to be perfect is just always going to find failure. no movie can be exactly right because they have a large variety of people to please. if you are expecting to find a movie nowadays that totally freaks you out, that is hard. we have seen almost everything by now. this movie isn't trying to be amazing, it is just meant to freak you out and provide you with some gore. it does do this. i watched it for the first time in the dark, it sure scared me. this movie is a little different from the predictable and sometimes a little bit annoying movies like Scream, I know what you did last summer, etc. it is a good movie for people who aren't looking for too much. just to have a different cast of people than the conventional ones, Eliza dushku, who i am a fan of, isn't your usual wilting, running screamer. she is just as strong as the men and doesn't always need help. Desmond Harrington is nice to look at and has a strong quality about him. these two working together can be enjoyable and have the ability to survive. this movie is different enough and scary enough to be enjoyable. i sure enjoyed it, and i bought it.
    After seeing Wrong Turn, I decided to look back at other Stan Winston produced movies to see what I may have missed by him. Stan is a special effects master who has created scary monsters for some great flicks: Alien, Predator, Artificial Intelligence, Edward Scissorhands, Chiller, The Hand and more. Wrong Turn begins by introducing you to some very real characters during daytime and in bright sunlight. The plot begins with an intelligent med student (Desmond Harrington), trying to reach a destination but coming across a traffic jam on a main route through a mountain pass somewhere in West Virginia. He decides to make a U-turn and soon afterward finds a shortcut through some very rural woods of W-VA. Or so he thinks! He quickly meets up with a stalled vehicle in the road belonging to four campers thru an accident he has with their car, destroying both vehicles while no one is hurt. They are all effectively stranded in the middle of nowhere. They begin looking for a way to communicate with the outside world. Cellphones are useless out here. As they begin their search we discover they are being stalked by some awful looking inbreds, this flick's "monsters". The monsters are actually disfigured people who capture any unfortunate souls who happen to travel down the road into their neck of the woods. The main characters stumble right into the empty homestead belonging to these inbreds early in the story, which serves to make for some intriguing discoveries about the nature of their stalkers. At this point the story turns to a chase of sorts, with the intelligence of the quarry sometimes helping gain a foothold on their stalkers. You find yourself deeply involved in the movie, pushing all else aside as you start rooting for the stalked as they disappear one by one, until the survivors finally rise to the challenge as you find yourself cheering them on, screaming "Yes!" as they start to get the upper hand on their madmen stalkers! There are some terrific graphics which I haven't seen in other films. I watched the original theatrical version on a whim not knowing that my money would be so well-spent. I would like to point out that there's some good talent being splashed around on the screen here, both in the main characters played by Desmond Harington and Elisha Dushku, as well as in the supporting cast of Jeremy Sisto, Emmanuelle Chriqui, Kevin Zegers and Lindy Booth. I love this cast, and would like to see them reunite for a second effort, possibly in an entirely different setting -- maybe for a great haunted mansion flick. I'd give this movie an A-.
    Youths being killed one by one, a killer in the woods, stalk and slash, mutated cannibals...it's all been done a hundred times before. But not always as effectively and brutally as Wrong Turn. It's all in the execution folks, quite literally.

Chris Flynn (the always intense looking Desmond Harrington) is a Doctor on his way to an appointment across the other side of the country. A chemical spill and crash on the freeway means 2 hours of waiting in traffic and being late. Keen to avoid this, Chris takes a dirt road along Bear Mountain hoping to cut back onto the freeway some miles ahead of the jam. I bet he wishes he didn't.

This wrong turn causes him to smash into an already wasted people carrier. The owners are a bunch of mountain bikers who have had their tires shredded by barb-wire lain by apparent hillbillies.

Chris and three others (Eliza Dushku, Jeremy Sisto and the very annoying Emmanuelle Chriqui) decide to walk to the nearest phone while a moronic and deserving-to-die boyfriend and girlfriend (Kevin Zegers and Lindy Booth, who also met a similar fate in Dawn of the Dead) stay behind to guard the cars.

That couple don't last very long and the only dwelling the quartet stumble upon is the disgusting house of a bunch of ferocious, inbred, cannibalistic mountain men. It's filled with the stolen belongings of people they've already massacred, but no one picks up on this until the men suddenly return.

It's clear from the outset who's going to live and who's going to die. Chris is strong-willed and level-headed and responds to intense situations with logic and cunning, while most of the others do stupid things and do all but paint a bullseye on their forehead.

Shot and directed with an atmospheric color pallet, a fair amount of tension, some grisly kills and lots of quick, nervous cuts (without turning into confusion), Wrong Turn succeeds where most other wannabe horrors that fall into the same sub-genre fail. In the post-Scream world horror movies were all about irony and smart-ass. Wrong Turn wisely includes neither. Currently horror movies are all about remakes, with one remake coming out every other week. Wrong Turn isn't exactly a remake either, but, like I said it IS a story that's been done almost to death.

In the end, it cannot be a great movie. But just a very-well done potboiler that does exactly what it set out to do. So many horror films fail because someone behind the scenes fails to take it seriously, I'm pleased to say that ain't the case with this movie.
  • Rating: ** out of ****

Wrong Turn seemingly has all the ingredients necessary for an effective slasher: a good setting and decent premise, a very attractive and likable cast, memorable make-up and gore effect, and a refreshingly unironic tone that reminds us of the days when old-fashioned horror didn't rely on self-conscious humor to pass for entertainment value. In that manner, Wrong Turn is actually a little nostalgic, not unlike the rest of the recent batch of backwoods horror flicks (Cabin Fever, House of 1000 Corpses, and the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake).

But aside from two solid setpieces, the movie rarely fulfills its (admittedly limited) potential. The script matters little in this subgenre, but there's almost no plot after the ill-fated teens arrive at the mountain men's cabin. This is about twenty-five minutes into the film, after we've already dispensed with the obligatory character intros (basically: 3 hot chicks and 3 hunky, but also surprisingly personable guys) and whatever reasons they have for being stranded in the middle of nowhere, West Virginia.

Everything after that is typical cat-and-mouse filler, the killers (three inbred, cannibalistic hillbillies) searching for their prey while our protagonists run and hide behind trees. There's very little in the way of suspense, namely because it's so obvious who's going to live and who's going to die and in what order. And because the cast is so small, you can't even enjoy a particularly large body count (half the main cast is killed off less than forty minutes into the picture).

Wrong Turn is also missing much of what makes slasher movies fun to watch: explicit nudity and the occasional bit of gratuitous sex. With such an attractive cast (Emmanuelle Chriqui is cute, and Eliza Dushku and especially Lindy Booth are total hotties), the movie regrettably skimps on the goods. Such a complaint probably wouldn't matter if the characters were better developed, but despite a talented cast, the most interesting aspect character-wise is noting how different a couple Lindy Booth and Kevin Zegers played in Dawn of the Dead.

As for the rest of the cast, Desmond Harrington is a solid actor, but does little more than run, grunt, and dive headfirst into every dangerous stunt (his volunteering for every dangerous move actually makes him pretty likable even when we question his logic). Eliza Dushku simply coasts on her looks (and proves that all hottie TV actresses are destined to play a big screen scream queen at least once in their lives), while Emmanuelle Chriqui just shrieks her way through her part. Standing out a little is Jeremy Sisto, who infuses a bit of humor into an otherwise very disposable role.

The forest is something of a disappointment, as well. With a potentially excellent setting at his disposal, director Rob Schmidt fails to generate any creepy atmosphere in an environment where you'd think atmosphere would almost come naturally (to be fair, a lot of horror movies also seem to have this problem; the last time I saw a forest setting utilized perfectly was in 2003's terrifically frightening Dead End).

Despite the fact I've done little more than harp on the film, there's no denying that the middle half-hour is occasionally entertaining. There's a semi-suspenseful scene set in a vehicular junkyard (finally, a little variety in setting, huh?) and another effective sequence set inside a watchtower that segues to an exciting chase atop the branches of some very large trees. The murders are too sparse, given the small cast, but they're gruesome and memorable, and thankfully not as relentlessly cruel as the deaths in Cabin Fever, but boast just the right touch of menace and hard-edged violence.

The three hillbilly killers aren't quite as successful as the gore; in fact, seeing less of them would have been appreciated, considering their grotesque appearance almost crosses into the realm of self-parody. Even The X-Files knew better than that.

Anyway, whatever momentum the middle half-hour built up comes crashing down in the final minutes, with the film actually closing out with an explosion, surely a sign of desperation on the part of the screenwriter if he can't come up with any brighter ideas in a slasher (I was, in fact, about to give the movie a ** 1/2 until the climax). Overall, this is mildly recommended to slasher fans or anyone who wants to gawk at Dushku for a little over an hour. Wrong Turn at least has its heart set in the right place, which is more than can be said for most slashers these days.
  • In the day and age of unoriginality and persistent remakes, we must treasure the brave and audacious horror film that know they pack in a typical formula, but are still determined to go for broke and sometimes even surprise us. That is exactly what Rob Schmidt's horror film Wrong Turn does. It has its typical side, with the formula and pretty dense characters, but it also has its creative side, showing off impressive camera-work, cinematography, and very amusing effects work. It is, what some might call, a joyous bloody excursion.

The story's plot is standard fare; a rushed man (Washington) takes an unexpected detour to avoid heavy traffic and collides with a group of teenagers who are sex-crazed, pot-smoking goofballs who have got a flat tire. There's no signal, no gas station for miles, so some of them inevitably start walking. It is too inevitable that some will stay put and wind up getting hacked to bits by deranged, backwoods lunatics, who play by their own rules. Their own rules involve jumping, screaming, running around senselessly, and shooting anything that moves.

One will say that Wrong Turn is just simple horror fluff, resurrected on every horror cliché. In a way, they're not wrong. The film has more going for it than a lot of other modern pieces. It's 2003, and the seventies style of horror seemed dead. Films didn't want to go back to the past to see what made films like The Hills Have Eyes and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre special. Director Rob Schmidt did. He went back and followed a blueprint once used by classic seventies horror. The turnout doesn't involve any audience-winks, pointless sex scenes, or implausible irony. It's sophisticated and sometimes even wholly creepy.

I think the main reason for its creepy-vibe is the fact that the film knows the importance of suspense and atmosphere. We get some pretty decent buildup before the inevitable kill, and the delightful unease of the woodsy setting is utilized very well. Similar to how Eli Roth evoked atmosphere and setting to tell his story in Cabin Fever. The only problem was, with that film, the payoff was a little loose and short. Here, Wrong Turn doesn't stop at look, and tries to go the extra mile.

If anything, the film is entertaining. Short, dark, entertaining, and interesting. It's too bad the film didn't want to go for the full look of a seventies picture, by adding film grain and dirt to the lens to give the appearance of a cheap Grindhouse film. I could see that intensifying the whole experience, making it scarier than it currently is. But as it stands, Wrong Turn is tolerable horror-fare and brutally honest Mapquest-motivation.

Starring: Desmond Harrington, Eliza Dushku, Emmanuelle Chriqui, Jeremy Sisto, and Kevin Zegers. Directed by: Rob Schmidt.
    Spoiler**, Spoiler**

At last I was able to see this movie after reading a lot of reviews. I really enjoy it because I am a fan of suspense/thriller movies. I did not see much gore, as many people have written here, although there are some scenes that might be difficult to be watched by some people. I think that the scene where the dead body of Francine lies on the table with her leg and arm chopped off might be disturbing for some people. The scene where Carly's head is cut off by an ax is not that gory, although the close up in her eyes while the pupil is dilating might be shocking for some people. The scene where the trooper's eye was blew out by the arrow was cool. It was like a roller coaster.

In general. the movie was good in terms of action and suspense. The acting was OK. There were some things that were hard to believe, though. For example: Chris received a shot in his leg almost at the beginning of the movie. I'm not sure if the bullet was inside his leg, or it was just a scratch, but he ran pretty well, and was able to climb the trees. How come the people in the surroundings were not aware of the inbreed presence? Didn't they have to look for gas or some other stuff to live? I guess that these guys were the old guy's client, who supplied all their needs, but I guess with all these missing persons, the local authorities should suspect of something. Finally, when Jessie jump to the tree, she hit the branch with her stomach. I think that with a hit like that nobody will be able to grab a branch and start walking on it as if nothing had happened.

The inbreeds were not as creepy as they look in the trailer, and I did not like the constant laughter of "three finger". It took out part of the suspense and the horror of the film. The idea of not not having them speaking as human beings was great. It gave more mystery to their existence.

Finally, thank GOD that the scene where Chris and Jessie were kissing each other in the waterfall was deleted. How come two persons in the middle of nowhere, chased by three maniacs, and after watching all these people being killed can think about a french kiss?? Only in a soap opera.

Well, before I saw Wrong Turn I did not expect to watch an Oscar nominated movie, but a one full of suspense and action that would made me jump once in a while from my seat, and this is what I got. This is why I will give this movie 8 out of 10.
  • The title is chosen well, and from this title it's pretty easy to imagine how our protagonists get into trouble. It all starts out with Chris Flynn (Desmond Harrington, playing Joey Quinn in 'Dexter') who is out for a job interview but ends up in a huge traffic jam, which makes him search for an alternative route. Needless to say that the road he takes is a wrong turn. Driving up a dirt road through mountains and forest, he crashes into an other car. Nobody gets seriously hurt and after the initial shock they split up (of course, after all this is a horror movie). Two stay behind, the other four, including Chris, go to get some help. But they will soon find out that the crash wasn't just an accident, and that there are inbred people living around who's help you really don't want.

Do not expect a unique storyline, or an intriguing plot, as you will not find it. It's all basically your typical horror/slasher cliché. But is that always a problem? I would say no.

The good thing about Wrong Turn is that it never gets boring. I have seen many horror movies, and though I do definitely prefer a movie with an original storyline, at times it's just really entertaining to see an average story worked out well enough, without any real pretensions. There's a 'pleasant' creepy tension that goes on throughout the film, it had me glued to the screen the whole time. It's not a movie in which people get slaughtered non-stop (though certainly not everyone survives), but what you have is the constant threat that they might get slaughtered any second.

Do the characters have much depth? No, not really. We see nothing more than some hints about their lives. But again, does it matter? Nah.... as long as I am entertained enough, I forgive the writers. The actors do a good job in being believable, which I dó find really important. Eliza Dushku plays her part well as a no-bullshit young woman, and though at times I couldn't help but seeing her as the sexy vampire slayer Faith (Buffy the Vampire Slayer), you will not hear me complain about that. Desmond Harrington did a fine job too, and he and Eliza had good chemistry going on.

All-in-all, I really liked Wrong Turn. Yes, it has many flaws and lacks originality, but there is nothing wrong with the acting and it has enough creepiness and tension to add a fine movie to it's genre. If you like the entertainment of 70's / 80's horror movies, grab yourself some snacks, dim the lights, and you will have an enjoyable evening on the couch.
  • Doctor_Cheese22 October 2003
    As some have pointed out, this movie is something of a throwback to 1980s teen slasher flicks like Friday the 13th, blah blah blah. But while most of the people saying this seem to consider that a positive thing, I don't, since those movies totally sucked.

Every stupid cliche from every one of those retarded movies is also in this piece of crap, right down to the moronic "Boo! You thought I was the killer, but it's just me, one of the heroine's dumbass friends jumping out and trying to scare her!" gag.

I could go on and on raining my richly deserved contempt down upon this festering turd of a flick, but it's not even worth the effort. If you enjoy your movies so predictable you could write the entire rest of the script yourself after watching the first five minutes, by all means check this out. To everyone else I say: Do yourself a favor and spend the hour and a half you might waste watching this pile of excrement doing something more productive, like picking lint out of your belly button.
    Horror films always open with the mandatory jumpstart. This usually consists of a pair of (a) wandering teenagers looking to have a night of passion together or (b) innocent, and quite frankly, stupid passersby who have made a wrong turn. They always make wrong turns. And the baddies always get them - while managing to stay mysteriously O.S., a.k.a. off-screen to those unfamiliar with scriptwriting (which, I take it, the creators of "Wrong Turn" are indeed familiar with, or are either blunderingly naive, as they seem to cram their film with millions of horror clichés while managing to still make it plenty fun).

What I find amusing is how the idiots in the beginning of the film who die without sympathy get killed in seconds and yet the idiots who are the main characters of our story manage to survive and outwit their hunters - though they seem to display the same keen flair for choosing the worst possible case scenario for every event they encounter. ("Quick, forget the car which will lead us back to civilization - let's flee into the woods and try to outrun them!" type of stuff.)

But I enjoyed "Wrong Turn" for what it is - a typical horror flick that offers plenty of stupidity and plenty of fun. But yet I do find it smarter than some of the other horror crap hitting the streets these days - much more so than a great many other films I have seen recently. Perhaps that has to do, in part, with the paranoia of being trapped in a West Virginia forest and being pursued by "mutated" hillbillies. Or perhaps it also has to do with the great creature effects by the best creature effects artist of motion picture history, 4-time Oscar-winner Stan Winston (whose credits go out to such films as "Predator," "Aliens," "The Terminator," and "Jurassic Park," to name the more mainstream projects he has worked on). Winston brings a sense of realism to his productions - I swear that the Predator was real; I would bet my fortunes on that T-Rex being more than just a sock puppet. And yet that's all it is - and Winston makes believers out of everyone. If this film had resorted to cheesy CGI effects and a more marketable PG-13 rating, I would have given it a bad rating - no doubt about it. But this project seems determined to prove good horror films can still be made - the plots and acting and scriptwriting are all still as weak as they were in the 70s (such as dialogue typically explaining, "Let's split up into random pairs of two and go look for the missing person, even though there is a killer on the loose and the missing person is undoubtedly dead, but we'd better just make sure!").

The plot: A doctor-in-training, Chris (Desmond Harrington) is passing through West Virginia. He has to be in Raleigh in a few hours, but there's a traffic jam on the highway. He takes a shortcut through hillbilly town (mistake number 1) and stops to ask directions at a gas station owned by a man who looks like the offspring of Elmo and Gollum (mistake number 2). He looks at a map and notices a small road leading through the state that will take him right to where he wants to go. He takes this as a good sign, even though the manager of the gas station doesn't seem to thing it's a good idea. He takes the route. (Mistake number 3.)

He gets in an accident with a band of six young adults about his age, one of whom (played by Eliza Dashku) is conveniently not with a partner like the other four people. She later gives some lame excuse for why she no longer has a boyfriend - but like that even matters.

They split into a group of four and two (mistake number 4) and the group of two get killed by shadowy creatures lurking in the woods. The group of four, which includes Harrington and Dashku, stumble upon a little cabin in the middle of nowhere and decide to go look for a phone inside (mistake number 5, 6, and 7 - it counts for three points since it's so blunderingly stupid a mistake).

Fun ensues as a gang of ugly, hideous, barbaric hillbilly folk come after them with axes and cross-bows and Lord knows what else. Winston's effects bring these gruesome characters to life - CGI would have been a huge mistake in this case. (I'm not entirely against CGI, I just believe it to be overused in too many films nowadays.)

We know who's going to live and die. We know exactly what happens long before the movie itself seems to. But yet I enjoyed "Wrong Turn" a lot more than I thought I would. In a time when modern horror films resort to cheesy CGI, truly awful acting, numerous money shots to attract male audiences, and deliver "thrills" that are less thrilling and scary than some comedies, I suppose that it's safe to say I was a bit refreshed by this film. The movie truly disappointed me in its lame, corny ending, which resulted in me giving it half a star less than I was going to, but then it dives into a catchy cliffhanger during the credits which actually had me looking forward to another "Wrong Turn."

I guess you can say that I made a right turn on this one.

3.5/5 stars.

• John Ulmer
  • "Wrong Turn" is a pretty good recreation of the slasher-horror movies of the early '80, though this time around we have better production values (fancier camera moves, for one thing.) It's very predictable, but then again, what slasher isn't? Except for a slightly overextended beginning, it chugs along at an acceptable pace, giving us a new situation every few minutes. I wish there was more gore, but you can't have everything, and I will admit some of the splatter does *really* capture your attention - especially one part involving an arrow! The climatic sequence seems inspired in part by the one in BAKER COUNTY U.S.A., which also happened to take place in redneck country.
  • The plot line deals with a group of couples (Desmond Harrington-Eliza Dushku) ,(Jeremy Sisto-Emmanuelle Chiriqui) and the same couple of ¨Dawn of the dead¨ (Lindy Booth-Kevin Zegers) are going to hick at Virginia mountains. They will find a nutty and murderer family formed by cannibalistic mountain men and utterly disfigured, who will try to track down them into the woods. The protagonists will have to confront the ominous family starving of blood.

It's a nice horror film , it's realized in fast-moving and isn't tiring, neither boring, but entertaining. From start to finish the grisly suspense and horror action is nonstop. The storyline has got a certain likeness to ¨Texas chainsaw massacre" , "Ed Gein" and ¨House of 1000 corpses". The movie takes parts of both films. The motion picture mixes terror , creepy and spooky atmosphere , screams and great loads of blood and gore. There isn't a real interpretation because of the actors run, kill and shout, only . However, the cinematography is astounding (here appears wonderful forests landscapes) to difference ¨Texas chainsaw massacre¨ by Tobe Hooper , whose photography was granulated and worn-out .

Picture achieved success in boxoffice, in spite of the violence and grisly killings . The movie isn't apt for boys, neither squeamish. The flick will appeal to terror and gore fans. Rating : nice terror film . Well worth watching.
  • Chris Flynn is driving his car for a job interview in another city. However, an accident with a trunk transporting chemical products blocks the highway and Chris looks for an alternative route through the mountains of West Virginia to accomplish his schedule. Due to a lack of attention, he crashes another car parked in the middle of the road with flat tires. Chris meets a group of five friends, who intended to camp in the forest, and they decide to leave the couple Francine and Evan on the place, while Chris, Jessie, Carly and her fiancé Scott tries to find some help. They find a weird cabin in the middle of nowhere, where three violent cannibalistic mountain men with the appearance of monsters live. The two couples try to escape from the mountain men while chased by them.

I Just Thought That This Was Okay. This Is A Basic Horror Movie About A Group Of Cannibals. The Thing That Appealed To Me Was That I Found That Some Of These Characters Had Smarts Instead Of The Teens That Are In Normal Horror Movies Like In "Friday The 13th" Or "A Nightmare On Elm Street". I Also Found That This Recreated The Whole Thing That The Killer Is Unstoppable That Was Created Through The Original Halloween. Speaking Of I Can See A Theme That Is Similar To Normal '70's Horror Movies.

There Are Also Bad Points Like Emmanuelle Chriqui's Character Was A Whiny Idiot. The Gibberish From The Killers Got EXTREMELY Annoying. The Romantic Relationship Between Chris And Jessie Was Idiotic - THEY JUST MET.

Overall If You Are Into Old Horror Movies Then I Actually Suggest This But There Is No Promise That This Would Be Above 6/10. That Is If Your Anything Like Me With Horror Movies.
    Wrong Turn is excellent proof that you don't need to re-imagine (or as I call it, "ruin") a classic movie to mine horror's archives for inspiration. Originality may not be this film's strong suit, but when a movie packs in as many good scares and gleefully gory bits into its lean 84-minute running time as Wrong Turn does, it's hard not to conclude that it's okay to reference the past, as long as you make good use of what you borrow.

The plot unabashedly relies on the formula laid out in Texas Chainsaw Massacre decades ago, and it would be impossible to watch Wrong Turn without drawing parallels between the backwoods cannibal tribe here and the denizens of that fabled Texas farm house. While this should work against the film, the familiarity here plays out more like an homage, and this tribute is all the more effective for it, especially since Wrong Turn is light years better than any of the dreadful Chainsaw sequels and the ill-advised 21st century remake.

The excellent cast helps immeasurably in making this film a memorable experience. Desmond Harrington, Eliza Dushku, and Jeremy Sisto all give great performances, and are among the most likable group of prey you'll find in a slasher film. While some might argue that it doesn't matter if you like the intended victims, since their main purpose in the film is to be slaughtered for our amusement, savvy film-makers have learned that if we actually CARE about what happens to the characters, the suspense and pure horror elements are amped up considerably. Our three leads make largely intelligent choices throughout the course of the film, and as a result the "gotcha" moments aren't diluted by telegraphed and cliché-ridden set-ups that serve only to pad the running time between splatter set-pieces. Seeing a heroine as strong and resourceful as Dushku's Jessie is a rarity in horror films, and the movie is unfortunately notable for rarely reducing our main protagonists to braying stereotypes.

I couldn't mention Emmanuelle Chriqui's Carly in that last paragraph because she almost single-handedly negates all of the positive attributes showcased by the rest of the characters. Carly falls squarely into the prototypical hysterical mode that far too many female characters are required to adopt in horror films, and her histrionics and repeated displays of stupidity make her such an obvious victim that we can't wait for the cannibals to chop her up and get it over with so that we can dispense with the annoying and contradictory air of helplessness and incompetence she brings to the affair.

The murderous band of deformed predators are well-crafted villains who are indelibly gruesome thanks to the excellent makeup work of Stan Winston Studios, yet human enough to add a layer of realism that makes the scenario all the more horrifying, since it never seems out of the realm of possibility that there could be a family just like this tucked away in the barren wilds of West Virginia. Their grisly handiwork is shown frequently and graphically, and fans who like a liberal dose of gore will not be disappointed by the ample displays of it here.

The film almost goes off track early on when our primary foursome first wanders into the cannibal clan's dilapidated house. The discerning viewer will have to suspend their disbelief pretty heartily to accept how long the group continues to explore the house, despite stumbling across several grotesque curios that would be more than ample to cause any rational person to flee from the scene immediately. Of course, the tense and ghoulish sequence that follows is one of the most chilling in the film, and from that point on Wrong Turn becomes a relentless barrage of horror, so we end up quickly forgiving that momentary lapse of sensibility.

I was a bit disappointed with the film's final frames, which blatantly set Wrong Turn up as a mere launching pad for a franchise. The film-makers wisely dangle enough plot threads along the way to suggest that the deeds of our savage killers could be further explored through subsequent outings, but the last scene seems to force the issue, and the only thing missing from the denouement is an end title card that reads, "Sequel Coming Soon!". That being said, there are enough great elements here to interest me in seeing more, and while I have not yet pursued any of the follow-ups, I definitely intend to.

Though nowhere near as classic or chilling as the Massacre that spawned it, Wrong Turn is regardless an excellent and exciting horror film with plenty of fantastic ideas and the smarts to adeptly pull them off. Despite its flaws, this one delivers the goods at almost every turn, and genre fans who have been largely disheartened by the state of modern horror will find a real gem here.
  • ZombieChacho12326 December 2010
    Well i never knew this film existed until i found it in a store it was on sale.I saw this film and to be honest it had me on the edge of my seat i did not expect the film to be that good. Well the film is about a group of people become stranded in the woods after a accident they are hunted down by really ugly flesh eating mutants. Alright lets start off the cast is nice they're good looking and they seem really real like the couple in love which is sweet. The acting is nice too but not as good as the deaths which in that time are creative like the girl who's life is cut short with the barb wire. The deaths you can say are gory. The killers in the film are really creepy and actually act like rednecks. The suspense was superb it had me on my seat i had to ask myself whats going to happen now. After i had finished watching it i watched it over and over again. I recommend this film to only horror fans