User Reviews (5)

• In recent years, some actors have found fame in soaps before going on to other things. Some of them have left EastEnders and gone into different shows (usually on ITV) which have been purely vehicles for them. For Ross Kemp, every role has been a variation on Grant Mitchell. Red Cap is Tamzin Outhwaite's effort to shake off her "sexiest female on TV" image which she was dubbed while playing Mel in EastEnders. She's also stayed with the BBC.

We have been here before. There was a series called "Redcap" (one word) in the 1960s about a military SIB sergeant, exactly the role played by Tamzin Outhwaite (Sgt Jo McDonagh). With the gritty scripts and often grainy appearance, the role of Jo McDonagh is definitely not Mel Healy Beale Owen. The plots are fairly well written, although there are too many contrived moments involving other females trying to undermine Sgt McDonagh, and always being proved wrong. There's an occasional sense that the editing and sound effects at dramatic moments is similar to CSI. I also dislike the moments of sexual tension, which only remind the viewer of Tamzin Outhwaite's past!

My only other criticism is that the show is too blatantly a star vehicle, meaning that the other cast members are playing second fiddle.

Nevertheless, this is an enjoyable series, and Tamzin Outhwaite is definitely not typecast - most of the time!
  • Very good dramas not only at portraying the life in the army police but also for it's fictional stroy side. I think there is a series starting 2002- Well worth watching. Tamzin Outhwaite is a very good actress in it and so are her co-stars. Even the dog Sam is excellent in his minor role!
  • STAR RATING:*****Unmissable****Very Good***Okay**You Could Go Out For A Meal Instead*Avoid At All Costs

Red Cap is a very enjoyable and pleasantly brain-taxing thriller.The plot is very carefully built-up and really requires you to use your brain to figure out the out-come.Tamzin Outhwaite is also impressive as the female investigating officer trying to get-to-the-bottom of the case and at the same time be taken seriously in a male-dominated profession.***
  • Red Cap was a brilliant idea for a show. The British Army's Special Investigation Branch hadn't been featured in a drama since the late John Thaw had played a redcap in a series entitled...well, Red Cap.

This was a good TV film with a good plot and interesting characters. And it was a fresh idea. There haven't been that many drama's dealing with the Royal Military Police or S.I.B. Here in the United Kingdom we usually get cop shows or hospital drama's. Red Cap was something fresh.

Tamzin Outhwaite performed brilliantly as Sergeant Jo McDonagh. She has a big future in my opinion as a TV/film star.

All in all, this was a great series. I've heard that there will be a full TV series in late 2002. I hope that is true.
  • I agree that the idea of a cop series involving Military Police is a good one, & it must be said that when compared with other similar programmes, like the truly awful 'JAG', this isn't bad. I also admit that my own experience with the Red Caps was a while ago. However, I cannot believe that the MPs have relaxed that much. Military detectives with long, permed hair? Sergeants speaking to a Warrant Officer with their tie undone & their hands in their pockets? Basically, everyone on almost first name terms, regardless of rank. Sorry, but this seems to be an obvious case of someone who dreamed up a regular cop show & was then told to change it to a military setting. The interplay between the characters would work in a regular detective series, but not with the RMP. Some of the stories are good, the basic plot is sound, but this series needs to get more in touch with military reality.