User Reviews (39)

• An apparently disturbed/depressed loner is on the run after a daring bank heist. He meets a woman who sympathizes with his vulnerability and they begin a relationship which becomes jeopardized when she comes to suspect that he is the murderous stickup man. To say more could jeopardize your enjoyment of this movie.

I had sadly resigned myself, before viewing this flick, to the fact that the the chances of finding a good mystery or thriller any more are close to nil. Writing tends to be dreadful, story lines implausible and hackneyed, and the obligatory twists and "surprises" either predictable or preposterous. But here we have a nicely written and very cleverly constructed thriller-mystery whose twist is unexpected and ingeniously constructed. The technique of ongoing narrative flashbacks is most often clumsy and confusing. But in this movie the same technique is very meticulously realized and is essential to the bend in the story line that the film depends on for its punch as an exceptionally engaging thriller.

And don't be put off by the somewhat deliberate pace of the first third of the film. It's crucial to what this movie is about. Given the dismal standards that prevail in this film genre, I say this one merits a 10 out of 10.
  • This film features one of James (call me Jimmy!) Spader's finest (and most likeable) performances. Set in the Beautiful Sierras of Northern California, we find ourselves immediately embroiled in a desperate chase... And as the story unfolds, It Doesn't Get Boring! The characters just get deeper, and when you think something is bound to fall flat (or be predictable), the story takes a new turn! I highly recommend this film to anyone who gets the chance to watch it.
  • Once in a while you can win at the game of "remote roulette." I lucked out and caught this flick the other night while rather aimlessly looking for something decent to watch. It was being shown on a popular, premium cable network. It is a cops & robbers caper flick with more than a little twisting as it goes through its well designed plot steps with hardly any let downs along the way. I would categorize it as a black comedy-drama with a touch of noir. I thought that the dialog between the main characters, James Spader (Parker) and Leslie Stefanson (Natalie Wright)was reminiscent of Bogart & Bacall. James Spader, in my opinion, is one of the better actors in film today. It is a shame that real talent like his is not more fully recognized by the film industry, obsessed with redundant, lowest common denominator material suitable for sixth graders or special effects geeks whose every other word is "awesome." Leslie Stefanson's character is aptly named as she plays with skill and sardonic humor, a disillusioned small town girl looking for "Mr. Right." The supporting cast, particularly John Livingstone as FBI special agent Rick Kendall was above average. I just wish that there could have been a little more of the well played "Native Americans" who were involved in the story. Writer-Director Rowdy Herrington deserves praise for coming up with this low budget "sleeper" lost among the mainstream Hollywood trash currently inundating the theater and television screens of our entertainment challenged land. The authentic rural and scenic small town location creates an enchanting atmosphere that further adds to the quality of the film and even the jazz soundtrack I noticed under the closing credits was a winning pick. You will not be disappointed by this good one.
  • jotix1005 July 2005
    Rowdy Herrington's "The Stickup" turned out to be a surprise when it turned up recently on cable. Not having seen it before, we decided to take a chance, which paid up because of the interesting work the director gets out of the star of the film, James Spader.

"The Stickup" makes a case for appearing to be something on the surface, while being something else in reality. John Parker, the cop that decides to take a trip up north to clear his head knows about the corruption in his own department and feels horrible about the death of his good partner during a stake out in L.A.

When we see him at the beginning of the film bleeding at a church, little do we know what he has been involved in. For all appearances, John has robbed the bank and has gotten away with all the money. An FBI agent is assigned to the case; he is an inexperienced young man who appears not to have a clue of what he is doing, but by looking to clues in the video tape about the bank heist, he will solve the mystery.

The film is greatly helped by James Spader, who as John Parker is the best thing in the movie. Leslie Stefanson, is Natalie, the nurse who believes in Parker even when all the evidence points out to his guilt. David Keith is perfectly obnoxious as the sheriff.

"The Stickup" is a small film that packs a great punch!
  • Rowdy Herrington and James Spader teamed up originally for Jack's Back, a slick, scary and ultimately satisfying affair, with TWO - count 'em, TWO - incredible performances from the always-superb Spader. In The Stickup, Spader's back, and the result is another clever little movie that is not what it appears to be on the surface.

Spader's character has enough edge for 3 characters, most of the supporting cast is excellent (especially the actress who plays the nurse), and although it doesn't have the high multiple viewings factor that Jack's Back possesses (I try to watch that at least once every four or five years), it's still fun.

My IMDb rating: 7
  • Parker (James Spader) meets Natalie (Leslie Stefanson) in a bar and has one night stand with her. On the next day, the local bank is robbed and Parker is chased and wounded by the police. The FBI rookie agent Rick Kendall (John Livingstone) is assigned for the case. This low budget movie was a great surprise for me. With a screenplay with lots of plot points, and two excellent lead actors (James Spader and John Livingstone), is a very worthwhile entertainment, recommended for fans of police story. The plot is great and the location were this film takes place is very beautiful, with wonderful landscapes. My vote is eight.

Title (Brazil): `Perseguição Implacável' (`Implacable Chase')
  • The beginning of the movie is as said in the comment on the net: what do you expect with such a title.A lot of shooting and car racing. For me the movie began with Leslie sitting at the bar and ordering a drink for a total stranger.From there on I followed all her moves and one-liners intensely. When she was nursing the shotwound I wished it was mine. .The casting all-over is very well done. The greenhorne FBI agent is heartwarming (he would say: "cool").The Indian chief and his son have a very short but amusing role.The plot of the movie is not that bad at all. The last half hour the plot of the story is upside down, totally different from what you would expect.However, the role of his LAPD collegues in the end is quite unbelievable. A happy end is well deserved for our couple, "love at first sight saves a lot of time". I'm glad I took the time to see it.
  • I loved this movie! It doesn't go where you think it's going and it gets there fast! James Spader is one of the best actors working in films today. It was great to see him with such strong material. Leslie Stephanson and Spader had this very hot chemistry and I loved the banter between them. The Rashamon element in the plot provided an excellent opportunity for a unique film noir twist. I saw this movie at a preview with a large audience at a L.A. Museum of Modern Art/Independent Film Project screening and the place went wild. I watched it again on Showtime and enjoyed it just as much. It's great to see "under the radar pictures" like this. My hats off to everyone involved in the picture. Fine work all around. John Livingston practically steals the movie, I'll be watching for more from him. Loved the score too. If you have a chance see this movie!
  • ctomvelu-17 July 2008
    James Spader is a former cop-turned-bank robber in THE STICKUP. In the course of the robbery and getaway, things don't go quite as planned and Spader ends up wounded. Fortunately, prior to to the robbery, he has met a nurse (Leslie Stefanson of THE GENERAL'S DAUGHTER) who helps him mend in her home. Problem is, she's the ex of local deputy sheriff David Keith, who is hot on Spader's trail and keeping a close eye on his ex at the same time. John Livingston plays a boyish FBI agent sent in to take over the case, and provides some needed comic relief. The film employs several critical flashbacks without being confusing. It also is quite suspenseful. Spader as always is low-key and a pleasure to watch. A perfect little crime drama for watching on the small screen.
  • A burned out cop (Spader) from the big city travels to small town America after the death of his partner where he meets a lovely nurse. From there he sleeps with her, does her dishes, and then dresses up as Bozo and robs a bank. Simple, eh? Well, this is a Rowdy Herrington film and Rowdy Herrington films aren't to be taken at face value. The plot runs deeper than you think baby...

On the surface The Stickup looks like your typical crime drama, but never judge a book by it's cover. The Stickup is an all around well written, acted, and directed thriller that has many levels. Much like Herrington's brilliant Jack's Back, The Stickup is layered and then some. Without getting in too much detail and spoiling some of the surprises, The Stickup is a smart, witty, and damn enjoyable little movie.

Herrington has always had an ear for great dialogue and an eye for quick well choreographed action sequences. Herrington shows off both attributes here, but it's his great story that makes this baby so fun. Loaded with great witty dialogue and characters, this is Herrington in good form. The movie is also well directed by Rowdy with lots of cool flashbacks that add to the mystery of the movie. Herrington also keeps the movie moving at a brisk pace that never lagged. Good work Rowdy! Herrington and Jack's Back star James Spader reunite and damned if it didn't feel good. Spader is, as always, great in the lead. I love the guy, he's made a name for himself playing intense layered characters that either good or bad, you can't help but like. If Spader's on screen you can't take your eyes off him. Did that sound gay?

Unfortunately Herrington will always be known as the guy behind Road House and the very cliché Striking Distance. His best work lies in the films that have flew under the radar. The Stickup and Jack's Back being two shining examples of just that. Now I could go on raving about The Stickup and Jack's Back all day, but I won't. Just rent them! Herrington has an ability to take a tired concept and add life to it (except in the case of Striking Distance). You can say you've "seen it before," but not quite like this.
    Someone described this film as having flown in "below the radar". That's a very apt description. Perhaps "lesser" films with lesser budgets leave the writers and directors (in this case the same person) more artistic freedom to actually realize their ideas -- the script of The Stickup is very intelligent and so totally enjoyable!

In it we're presented with an opening car chase where the driver, being pursued by honest looking policemen, looks guilty as hell.

Not long afterwards the classic bar scene -- but the other way around and, much to our delight, the Bogart-Bacall-like bantering starts, as has been noted already by many others. (And we're given large servings of it all through the rest of the film!) Who said there's NO chemistry between them? (The actors in question have been together ever since shooting this film and are now engaged.) Simply watch the hands of James Spader.

The third component making this film so special and enjoyable is of course the young innocent FBI-agent, with all his quirks but immediately accepted by the county's Indians as a man to trust. When his more experienced colleagues defer to him we recognize our own ambition to be respected at work.

So if you like surprises and haven't seen this movie you should. Enjoy the ride! At the end of it you can conclude that there are three important lessons to be made: being a crook and a police at the same time + being sneaky + falling in love at first sight all saves a lot of time.
    Rowdy Herrington's 2001 film The Stickup fools you, or tries to, and is fun to watch as the story unfolds. It begins with the cops chasing a bank robbery getaway car. As we used to say, it starts in the middle and goes both ways. There are flashbacks, and the story is told first from one person's point of view and then another's. There is a surprise around every corner, and each time we get more information we see the bank robbery with new eyes, as it were.

The Stickup is a comic adventure/romance/mystery complete with cops, robbers, more cops, a newly-fledged FBI Special Agent, a pretty woman(Leslie Stefanson as Natalie Wright), Our Hero(Spader as John Parker), and two enigmatic Indians. If you happen to see it in the video store, I highly recommend it—it's loads of fun, and despite a couple of plot holes (suspend your disbelief at the door) is ultimately satisfying. The positive vibes from this movie far outweigh the negative. The high speed car chases appeal to the men, and the boy-meets-girl story is for the girls, and the inscrutable Indians are for everyone.

The Stickup's low budget does not interfere with its fast-paced story and Spader's wonderful acting—is he a good guy or a bad guy? The mood-setting soundtrack begins as bang-bang stick'em up robbery music over the menu and segues into brassy, 1940s film noir blues as background to the sporadic encounters of Our Hero and the pretty woman ), each more tantalizing. "Damn Right I've got the Blues" plays over their first encounter in the bar, and again over the credits. Original music credited to David Kitay sets the mood throughout.

John Livingston, as FBI Special Agent Rick Kendall on his first case as Agent-in-charge, is hilarious in his delight with his first bank robbery and real dye packs. "Wicked!" he says, and "Cool!" He takes such joy in his work, and as the case draws to a close, he is seen talking on his cell phone to his mom.
  • mcdoodad4914 November 2003
    This movie is so good, I watched it 5 times before I returned the rental. I purchased a copy, and have seen it at least 7 more times. James Spader is one of my favorite actors, and this film was a proper vehicle for him. The fact that it had a plot (bank robbery), subplot (his illegal past), and a plot twist (he didn't do it), made it a complete film. I hope I haven't spoiled it for anyone.
    Very big spoiler ahead

I gave you fair warning

Okay, so I totally agree with most everybody here, that the plot here is excellent. Yet, somehow, there are distinct clues that give away the fact that everything isn't what it seems. - The strange reaction from the LA-police chief. Why does he co-operate so fully with the FBI? This is not a plothole as such, since the FBI guy made a remark about this. In so many films, this exact same thing is lacking: A character does a weird, illogical thing (obivious to the viewer), but this is ignored completely by the other characters! This is SOOO annoying! If you have weirdness, the least you should do is not ignore it. In this case it couldn't really be helped, they could have made the LA-chief a bit more reluctant, so as not to give the FBI guy a clue - the other thing is, how did the FBI guy (very sympathetic performance, BTW)get the idea that Spader would be on the ATM camera? He just sits there looking at the traffic light and then the ATM and then curses him self. But where did he get the idea from that Spader (or anyone) would be on the ATM camera? Maybe I've missed something here, but this part might have been a little bit better explained.

Aside from these relative minor points, GREAT movie!

The guy complaining about lack of chemistry in the love bit, GET A LIFE! That is all in YOUR head! As to the rest of the negative comments, isn't it nice that it is so clear from what they've written, that they either lacked the brains to understand this plot (which was not too simple but not rocket science either) OR just plain didn't watch the movie at all. To make such trite remarks as "James Spader Verhicle/ watch only if you like him", puuh leeez! Boring!
  • James Spader plays a cop who is accused of having robbed a bank and all the evidence points at him - the "hitchcockian" character is helped to prove his innocence by a young FBI agent, who digs up that "The Stickup" didn't exactly happen the way it appeared to. A witty script which plays on the viewers perception and the point of view of narration is executed with above average direction and solid acting. "The Stickup" is a good quality suspense B-picture with originality and humour. Only the end with lots of arbitrary genre specific heavy shooting has the mediocre quality usually found in fare of this kind. The rest stands out and is "A" quality stuff.
    I am a James Spader fan and I did n-joy this movie. The following may be plot spoilers but worth mentioning in a review. All the other comments are correct in being low budget, sound quality and soundtrack decision. However, I thought it was somewhat of a smart movie also. When guilty cop, with a gun, wants to check where the money is he has the innocent cop check and show him. He could have checked himself and it could have been a typical distraction/fight scene. Instead, guilty cop tells other to check while holding him at gunpoint. Another was the smart discovery by the young FBI agent with the ATM camera. Good thinking, and not something I thought to check. Sure, the point about the woman being a nurse AND ex-wife of the town sheriff was a perfect movie plot, however, I thought all was handled on a smart level. Plus the subplot with other FBI agents added life to this movie. Rating: 7 out of 10.
  • Not bad for a low budget thriller. A bank is robbed by a person in a clown mask and a jumpsuit. The story revolves around the local deputy sheriff and a rookie FBI agent chasing the suspect, a LA cop, who has troubles back in LA. Some scenes switch back and forth in time and from different character's perspective to mislead you. The witty dialogue between the LA cop and the deputy's ex-wife reminds me of James Bond movie dialogue.
  • James Spader is always likable no matter how sleazy or dishonest he is. There is no doubt that he carries this film completely by himself, because all other performances are quickly forgotten. In fact, Spader is downright excellent as L.A. detective John Parker who gets involved in both a bank robbery and a girl in the same day.

Like the rest of the actors, the movie is quickly forgotten as well—a low-key cops n' robbers story with a few twists and one or two laughs at best. It is mostly slow and serious and while this pace is deliberate to build up tension in the plot, there are no satisfying action sequences or culminations of any kind to follow it as it unfolds. The rapport between Parker and the lead girl was simply not good as it tried too hard to be 'edgy' with lots of quick bantering and, in the end, was unable to convey any real emotion or even on-screen chemistry. This doesn't make The Stickup a bad movie, but it makes it pretty mediocre. 5/10
  • RodrigAndrisan23 August 2018
    At 20.31 we see John Parker (James Spader) how he gets into the woods after the robbery, pulls out his clown mask, gloves and overalls, throws them in the car... But that's Ray DeCarlo's version (David Keith), later we found out how things really are... It's not bad, it's worth seeing. It has some tension and unexpected surprises.
    ***MAJOR MAJOR SPOILERS**** Multi-plotted crime thriller involving L.A narcotic detective John Parker, James Slader, who ends up in far-off Vedalia on stress leave from the LAPD and gets involved in the robbery of the towns bank of over a half million dollars.

***SPOILERS FROM HERE ON END**** It takes a while to figure out what and who exactly Parker is in that the movie keeps jumping back and forth in what's going on in it. As we soon find out Parker was involved in a drug bust gone wrong back in L.A where his good friend and partner Det. Mike O'Grady, Alf Humphrerys, and four other cops and drug dealers were killed. Having a religious conversion in experiencing his friend and fellow cop O'Grady's last words before he finally passed away Parker became the target of the members of a number his fellow police on the narcotic team. Those fellow cops feel that the guilt ridden Parker is going to talk to a grand jury about their, as well as his, shaking down drug dealers for their ill gotten cash. Something they've, as well as Parker, been doing for years. With Parker now implicated in the Vedalia bank job members of the L.A narcotics division headed by Parker's boss Lt. Vince Marino, Robert Miano, come to the town's police departments aid in order to get the on the loose Parker to give himself up before he ends up dead! Which is exactly what they in fact intend to do to him!

On the run with a bullet stuck in his gut courtesy of Vedalia Deputy Sheriff Ray DeCarlo, David Keith, Parker ends up in the safety of local Veldalia hospital nurse Natalie wright, Leslie Stefanson, home sweet home outside of town. Not only had Parker met Natalie the night before at a local bar, where she bought him a drink, but as It turned out Natalie is the ex-wife of Deputy Sheriff DeCarlo the guy who just happened to have shot Parker during the bank robbery escape!

It's later with rookie FBI Agent Rick Kindall, John Livingston, checking out all the fact that it becomes clear that Parker was the right man in the wrong place at the wrong time when he bank robbery happened! The right man that is for both his fellow members of the L.A narcotic division as well as Deputy Sheriff Decarlo and his partner Tommy Meeker, Alex Zahara, in him ending up taking the rap for them!

Very well done but overly complicated film that's not really that complicated at all in how it tells its story about police corruption in a number of Rashomon-like time frames and flashbacks. We get to see John Parker a fugitive from the law perused by a number of lawmen who in fact are the one's responsible for the crimes that he's being accused of committing! Somewhat let-down of an ending but at the same time in Parker willing to put his neck on the chopping block with the threat of being murdered by the crooked cops, as well as testifying before a grand jury about them, that's the only ending you can really expect a movie like "The Stickup" to have!
  • A independent film full of strong, solid acting, strong plot full of surprises, believable realistic characters. Don't let the simple title fool you, this a great movie. For my fellow Spader lovers, get this NOW. Spader is amazing as usual, he creates a sympathetic character of past regrets, loneliness, he's a thinking man's hero. Spader brings his presence and intensity to the film, giving it class, setting a high standard. The supporting cast is solid, with nods to Leslie Stephanson. She and Spader have a great sexy chemistry to them. I won't spoil anything or dig deep into the story, I think you should see it for yourself. The atmosphere and mood is strangely calm and relaxed, building itself up slowly for an exciting climax. The music is very noticeable, jazzy saxophones bring a feeling of 50s B & W hard boiled detective films. There a few goofy and lame lines of dialogue for a R rated film. Shame there isn't any subtitles, well, English ones. The action scenes are intense and believable, not TOO over the top, and are very fun and cool to watch. The heist scene is great and real. The story is surprisingly strong for a low budget film, it's very well written and intricate. The movie fools the viewer pretty good, making you believe everything you see. The young FBI agent re-examines everything and slowly unravels everything for us little by little. He is our door to the facts and actuality. You'll find yourself shocked and applauding it. You owe it to yourself to sit down and watch a actual movie, with acting and a story. This movie is worth watching more than once, each time you watch it, you learn something new or discover something else. It's very cheap to buy and is more satisfying than paying a bunch to see the crap they call movies now. If you're a fan of the great James Spader, don't hesitate to buy this. Everyone else check this out, you won't be disappointed. Don't let the bland title misjudge you into missing this worthwhile film.
    WARNING: POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

The Stick Up is a confusing whodunnit set in fictional Vedalia, a tiny resort town. There has been a bank robbery, and the alleged perp has already been identified, pursued and shot by the Deputy Sheriff, although they've since lost him again, because they rolled their car losing at playing chicken.

James Spader is John Parker, who has just arrived in town. On his very first night, Parker leaps headlong into a spurious romance with no less than the same Deputy Sheriff's ex-wife, Natalie (Leslie Stefanson), struck up at the proverbial jukebox (!). Somebody really should have rented out Mr Wrong (1996) for her. Leslie Stefanson's Natalie is a coy loser. Her ongoing flaky ambivalence for Parker is frustrating to have to sit through. Since they quickly admit that both of them are damaged goods, you get the feeling that these two are really just going through the motions. Any chemistry is dead by the end of the candles and bathtub scene, which is at the beginning - look, the scene might have worked had we liked the characters, and if we lost the candles - but just keep watching them to find out the plot.

The other intensely frustrating element is Parker's refusal to correct everyone's perceptions of him for so long. It is just not credible that anyone would walk through their own life with so much pointless subterfuge. It's just too much bull, and it undermines Parker's character almost beyond redemption. Parker's humanity only becomes believable when the FBI catch up with him at dawn, and he uses his exhausted, soft voice to acquaint himself with Agent Kendall.

John Livingston (from The Sterling Chase (1999), and the especially relevant Dogtown (1997)) impresses with his innocent young man courteously indulging his mother's apron strings, and he just happens to be FBI Agent Rick Kendall, a Fed on his first "actual" bank robbery case, an automatic Federal offence.

Being first on the scene, Kendall could have become pushy about being the Agent in Charge. Instead, he is cooled out at being given control by local yokels, and gets excited at handling die-packs from wads of cash ("Wicked! Aw, these are neat"). Kendall's capacity to make people smile in spite of themselves reminds me of Terry Pratchett's Captain Carrot, the shy cop from the Discworld novels, who knows, and takes a kind but * pointed * interest in absolutely everyone in town, so that even career criminals don't want to disappoint him. Nobody wants to disappoint Kendall either, and you love every minute John Livingston is on screen. Even Mrs VanBeek (highly respected Canadian voiceover actress Elan Ross Gibson), the FBI's seasoned forensics chief who is surprised to see the rookie in charge, nevertheless encourages him with affection ("The Bureau likes that. If you keep that up you'll get an Attaboy. Three Attaboys, and you get a raise").

This is an honest young Fed who openly admits that he's the blind leading the blind (ie the Deputy Sheriff, because the Sheriff proper is holidaying in Hawaii), and he gets the best lines ("Don't worry, we spent weeks on these things at the academy"). Needless to say, this is Livingston's star-making role - or at least it will be, if the film ever sees the light of day in Region 1. So far it's basically only had video release overseas.

The story is told in versions according to various witnesses, jumping backwards and forwards in time; a technique which some people have thought is the movie's major asset. I have to confess I don't. I especially got irritated by the interjected LAPD drug bust scene, which is shown twice, when even once was too much. This confusing structure is stitched together for us by the meticulous and intensely patient rookie.

For the first time that I can remember in a feature film, we see some new indigenous financial realities. There is obviously an unofficial hierarchy which watches the watchers, run by Chief Samson Ochoyo (Leonard George) and his son Clifford (Curtis Ahenakew). Vigilantism has never looked so innocent or cute on film.

David Keith, the third lead actor after Spader and Stefanson, is suitably menacing as the possessive and bigoted Deputy Sheriff, Ray DeCarlo. His BGA level is so high and tiresome that you feel not just relieved but actually happy when he is shot through the foot.

Since we have such a complete lack of interest in the three reputed leads, I am forced to wonder might the movie have not done better had it been conceived as a buddy movie (Spader and Livingston) instead of a ridiculous romance thriller that doesn't thrill. But I strongly suspect the fault is in the editing, because too much logic was also thrown out with the bathwater - how on earth did Kendall twig about the autoteller? Some crucial piece of logical continuity must have been cut. Either the editor pared back too far, or there never was enough actual story. Instead of some real background information about Parker's past, we got drug bust scenes that were doubled up and used as padding for the sake of "more excitement". In this case it's definitely a bad sign when the moviemaker feels the need to append "The End" to his film. Given that this movie is so very reminiscent of Fargo (1996), with similar production values and a similarly quirky but never to be underestimated cop, it's disappointing that The Stick Up only had a cinema release in London. Frances McDormand won an Oscar for essentially the same role as Kendall's here.

Rowdy Herrington gave us just too much disbelief to suspend, but Rick Kendall he can bring back anytime.
    It's James-Spader sexy. This man oozes. You just can't move your eyes from him whenever he's on the screen. If you're a James Spader fan, then expect a lot of pauses and several viewings because you won't be able to help yourself from several servings of his gorgeousness. (The same applies if you're a Leslie Stefanson fan.) There's a touch of the seductive mood in "White Palace" in the spicy bar scene when John Parker (Spader) is picked up by the forward Natalie Wright (Leslie Stefanson) and their steamy night together. There are also echoes of "Driftwood" detailing the wounded John in severe pain and how he is undressed and nursed by the saucy Natalie in a delicious way. There are also lots of elements of the complex, deep, unpredictable, crooked, but brilliant, and romantic Alan Shore at play. But it's still an original movie in the way all its odd components comically "jarred" together with such an unforgettable twist that the closest I can think of is the jaw-dropping surprise at the end of "The Sixth Sense".

Get it and savor it! It's a real treat. I looooove it!
  • Picked up a couple of videos to watch on this rainy Saturday afternoon. Oh what a waste of time this movie was. Can I get my money back? I love James Spader. What a great actor. I'm sure he wouldn't have taken this role if it wasn't a good script -- originally. Too bad that in the process of making this film so many bad decisions were made.

What I found to be the most disappointing was the casting of the lead (and only) female character. There just wasn't any chemistry between Leslie Stefanson and Spader. I can think of SO MANY other actresses who could have been far more believable, interesting and competent.

Stefanson couldn't deliver a convincing performance. If Natalie really was attracted to Parker, why didn't she act like it? His reasons for getting involved with her were obvious -- he needed her help (and wasn't going to turn down her quick invitation to jump in the sack) -- but what were her reasons for getting (and staying) involved with him? Even when they first met, there was no flirting, no dalliance. This mysterious man just shows up one day and brings excitement and intrigue into her otherwise duller-than-dull life, yet we see no emotion from her. Natalie took a lot of serious risks helping Parker, yet Stefanson's performance left me wondering why. Being his nurse as well as his lover, one would expect some tenderness, some warmth from her. I found her to be cool, aloof and sarcastic. There should have been some fervor from her to justify her actions.

The main storyline of this movie involving the crime and the mystery of solving it was a good one. But the simultaneous "romantic" relationship between Natalie and Parker never heated up as they became more involved with each other, and it should have. That was a disturbing distraction to me.
    Some Spoilers

This film was confusing because you didn't know what you saw was real or not and if it was when did it happen? James Spader and David Keith were good but with very low sound quality and confusing moments it was really a waste. I could barley understand what they were saying with the volume very high up. One thing that was confusing was if Spader wasn't the robber then why was he seen wearing the jump suit and clown mask in and out of the car? Either it was big plot hole or the movie lied? I really don't know but what I do know is that with two good actors the movie was one big disappointment:( Only see this film if you like Spader, Keith, and/or confusing movies with some action.