• In '64 or '65 my father ,who was working at CBS brought home a 16mm print of this film which had been screened at the network as a potential pilot,but was rejected because the network (CBS) felt it was too scary for television audiences. I was 7 years old at the time& my Brother was 9 when we first watched this film, and it was the most frightening thing we had ever seen."The Bleeding Ghost" as we referred to it gave us both nightmares for many years to follow,but we still watched it over &over again.When I was 18 my families house burned completely to the ground & the 16mm print was lost in the fire with everything else.I am now 47 and images & sounds from this film still linger in my mind.My father, my brother & I would all very much like to find a copy,in any form, of this classic work of horror. Any leads would be greatly appreciated.
  • I caught this on late-night Sydney television in the '60s as a young boy who had been allowed to stay up late. Really bad move. I was unable to sleep for days I was so terrified. The memory still occasionally haunts me: the idea of things happening in sealed crypts is something of a staple of the horror genre (it always reminds me of the infamous Chase family vault in Barbados, something someone should make a movie about!) but The Ghost of Sierra Cobre was also incredibly moody and suspenseful and the denouement shocking. I'm not surprised the TV execs "soiled their garments" when Stefano and Martin Landau screened it for them. I've been chasing this one for 40 years without success. I hope these comments put the heat on some Hollywood archivist to track it down and get it out there.
  • I too saw this in 1964 in Manila, Philippines and my sister and I would love to see it again....it was so scary and we thought no one else remembered this movie...so I was surprised to see a lot of people have seen it as well...please let us know if anyone knows how to get a copy of it. I remember the howling cry of the bleeding ghost as it went down a hallway and the scary fish pond !!! and also the phone by the coffin and the bony hand reaching out for it when it rang !!! I hope we'll get to see it again..I'm 50 now so getting on in age..saw this when I was about 7 yrs old ...please someone find it so we can see it again !..thanks so much....and have a great day !
  • ChungMo27 January 2005
    This film was produced by Joseph Stephano after he left the Outer Limits series. It was apparently intended as a pilot for a new TV series.

I first found out about the film when many years ago I read a limited edition book about TV pilots, it may be "Unsold TV Pilots: The Almost Complete Guide to Everything You Never Saw on TV 1955-1990" or not. The book belonged to a friend. Regardless the description of the pilot features a colorful comment by Martin Landau who describes the network executives at the first screening soiling their garments. He also says it was one of the best things he had worked on ever.

The pilot may have been re-edited for a theatrical release but it apparently never was shown in the United States outside that network executive screening. If "INCUBUS" was found, somebody should dig this one up
  • Kino Lorber have announced that they will release on Blu-ray Joseph Stefano and Robert Stevens' film The Ghost of Sierra de Cobre (1964), starring Judith Anderson, Martin Landau, Diane Baker, Nellie Burt, and Tom Simcox. The release will be available for purchase on October 16, 2018

Please note that supplemental features for this upcoming release have not yet been finalized.
  • In the mid 1960s, a pilot titled 'The Haunted' was shot in the hopes of launching a new series that would be something like 'The Twilight Zone' and 'The Outer Limits', but would concentrate more on flat-out horror. The series was not picked up, so what we now have is a stand-alone TV movie that is good and interesting, and a notable entry into genre television. (There also exists the version 'The Ghost of Sierra de Cobre', which includes some additional scenes, and which this reviewer will be referring to.) Robert Stevens, a veteran of 'Alfred Hitchcock Presents' and TZ, started directing, but fell very ill, and directing chores were then turned over to writer-producer Joseph Stefano, who of course had adapted Robert Blochs' novel "Psycho" for Hitchcock.

Martin Landau stars as Nelson Orion (a neat name, that), an architect who fights for the preservation of historical buildings. He also dabbles in the supernatural, because it's an interesting subject for him. He investigates hauntings, yet doesn't automatically reach for the most outlandish explanation. He grants that a good number of them can be no more than pranks, or otherwise have a reasonable explanation. He comes to the aid of blind rich man Henry Mandore (episodic TV veteran Tom Simcox), who thinks he's being haunted by his late mother. The plot thickens in intriguing ways, as Nelson meets Henry's wife Vivia (the pretty Diane Baker, "Strait-Jacket") and mysterious housekeeper Paulina (Dame Judith Anderson, "Rebecca").

'The Ghost of Sierra de Cobre' can legitimately claim to be genuinely spooky. It has the kind of wonderful atmosphere that the best "old dark house" movies possess. Two of the people responsible for its great look are the renowned cinematographers Conrad L. Hall ("Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid") and William A. Fraker ("Rosemary's Baby"). (The latter was the camera operator here.) And Dominic Frontiere did the shuddery score.

The movie doesn't miss opportunities for humour, considering the relationship that Nelson has with his witty housekeeper, Mary Finch (Nellie Burt, another TV veteran). She professes not to believe in the supernatural, while he prefers to be open to all possibilities. This leads to an interesting conversation between the two of them.

This is sort of done in the tradition of great black & white horror like "The Haunting" (1963), except that this time we do get to see the spirit, and it's a pretty good effect for a TV movie shot over 50 years ago. It's appropriately gnarly-looking.

More people should be made aware of this one. At the least, it's a good candidate for a cult favourite.

Eight out of 10.
  • I can remember this being shown on Melbourne TV a few times in the 60's, and the 70's; always very late at night. It was the most effective ghost story I can ever remember seeing: it scared me stupid as a kid. Surely this still exists in someones "vault" of movies. I hope it one day sees the light of day on DVD. If Martin Landau does have a copy perhaps a copy can be made of this, then it can be digitally restored for us all to enjoy. At the very least it would make an excellent addition to a "decent" classic Outer Limits DVD set (presently they have no extras at all) as a tribute to Joseph Stefano. A few years ago I contacted TV stations, particularly our ABC in Australia but sadly no memory of this film exists with anyone now.
  • i remember seeing this film as a child, in Sydney in the sixties, on the Deadly Earnest Show..scared the crap out of me..and i don't believe in ghosts. i saw it again years later and it was still great...the scene in the crypt has stayed with me as one of the biggest scares i ever got out of a movie. i would love to get a copy of this film, if anyone knows of it being on DVD anywhere. if you get a chance to see it don't miss it, especially if you like creepy dark tales.minimum special effects and really great suspense, i can't understand why it didn't do really well, especially with Stefano's credits.somebody must be able to do something...please!
    The terrific Dame Judith Anderson is once again the holder of the secrets in this TV pilot that didn't go anywhere America simply because it was far too scary for television audiences at the time. She's once again cast as a spooky housekeeper, dressed very witch like and highly reminding me of Grayson Hall later on the TV soap opera "Dark Shadows". It is ironic that one of Hall's TV characters on that soap opera was obviously based on Anderson's character of Mrs. Danvers in the classic Hitchcock masterpiece "Rebecca", for here, Anderson is both gloomy and sympathetic as a woman whose intentions are unknown and could either be sympathetic...or sinister.

Cast opposite Anderson is the future Oscar-winning Martin Landau, acclaimed for his role of Bela Lugosi in "Ed Wood", here playing a master of decoding the presence of ghostly creatures, and Diane Baker ("Straight Jacket") as the wife of a blind man and a victim of ghostly apparitions, believing that her mother was murdered by a ghost in a nearby mission. it appears that approximately 20 minutes of footage has been deleted from the print that I found, but what remains tells the story quite thoroughly and left no questions unanswered. Some of the ghostly apparitions reminded me of the William Castle cult classic "13 Ghosts", and there are moments that are genuinely more frightening than any of the theatrical release horror movies of this time. That makes this a must for fans of moody ghost stories, with Anderson and Landau truly magnificent in their characterizations.
  • I also saw this film on TV in Sydney Australian several times in the late nineteen sixties and early seventies. Very scary and Moody with a great soundtrack . martin landau was a skeptical paranormal investigator and there was a twist with a tourist scam going wrong .and a tragic death and mistaken supernatural identity.the scene where the "ghost" is revealed is super scary and original i have most of my favorite ghost story films on DVD like "lets scare Jessica to death" "ugetsu" "the uninvited" "13 gantry row" "carnival of souls" and "The shining so if there is a DVD of ghost of it can be found I want a copy too
  • bghezzi10 August 2006
    I saw this film in 1964 in Manila, Phillipines. It has to be the scariest film i've ever seen. I now live in Sydney, Australia. I concur with the other Sydney people who saw this film on Deadly Earnest, a show i also enjoyed. I cannot believe this rare classic hasn't been put on video or DVD!! Please somebody, even if it is only the venerable martin landau, release this film on DVD now because it would be inestimably valuable in educating the current batch of 'film makers' on how to scare the crap out of people without CGI or any other rubbish!! Long live Joseph DI Stefano! He was a true genius, whose Outer Limits show is still the best ever science-fiction TV, in terms of writing, direction and acting. Production be damned: who cares if the budget is non-existent when the quality of the writing is so magnificent...
  • I'm just about to re-watch this after many years. Like many reviewers here I saw this on Deadly Earnest's TV show in Sydney around 1970. I was about 13 at at the time. Like many other reviewers here I've never forgotten it. It scared the hell out of me. I remember having nightmares for days afterwards. Looking forward to watching it again.
    Paranormal expert Nelson Orion (an excellent performance by Martin Landau) investigates a case involving a deceased woman who's reportedly making phone calls from beyond the grave.

Writer/director Joseph Stefano relates the compelling story at a steady pace, ably crafts a supremely spooky atmosphere, and makes the most out of the isolated seaside setting. The fine acting by the capable cast keeps this movie humming: Diane Baker as the concerned Vivia Mandore, Tom Simcox as tormented blind man Henry, Judith Anderson as the sinister Paulina, and Nellie Burt as cheery housekeeper Mary Finch. The plot has a few neat twists and turns while the howling and moaning ghost rates as a genuinely unsettling apparition. Conrad L. Hall's crisp black and white cinematography boasts several snazzy stylistic flourishes. Dominic Frontiere's score is a tad overwrought at times, but does the shivery trick just the same. Well worth a watch.
  • Indeed, "The ghost of Sierra de Cobre" is a masterpiece of the horror genre. I saw it several times, broadcasted on TV in the early seventies, in my home country, Costa Rica. I assume it must have been released worldwide, but probably not in theaters. I would give anything to see it again. It made a profound impression on me when I was a child, but something tells me the movie must have aged well, and still retain most of its power. I would appreciate any hint as to how avail myself of this underrated, little known jewel full of Gothic atmosphere, terrifying special effects, with a superb Judith Andersson repeating, to a certain point -but still extremely effectively, the role of Ms. Danvers in Hitchcock's Rebbeca, from 1940. Andersson is even more sinister in this supernatural story. As long as I live, I will remember the crying and the laments of the woman who calls on the phone, from her grave, and the blurred, hallucinating ectoplasm -the ghost- appearing in the haunted mansion, All the elements of the Hawthorne-Poe world are there. Admiteddly, it is a formula-movie, but a movie that precisely proves that the good old formula still works, when the ingredients are intelligently used. Eerie, very eerie. Now that there is so much talk about "The lady in black", one can clearly see from where some of its images are taken. Landau is, as usual, wonderful, but few would argue that it is Andersson -with her Bela Lugosi profile and small, penetrating eyes, who steals the show. She always did, anyways. She simply was one of those actors with whom no one could not compete. I remain perplex of the fact that this movie did not become an iconic classic of its genre. Splendid photography, atmospheric lighting, haunting music... what can I say. I would be very grateful with whoever could give me some hints about the best way to have this movie. I have been looking for it for over twenty years! "The uninvited" (Ray Milland) and "The innocents" (Deborah Kerr: based on James's "Another turn of the screw") were clearly influential in the conception of "The ghost of Sierra de Cobre".
  • Similar to the other viewer, I saw this film when I was 9 years old back in 1966 on Canadian T.V. It was a failed pilot for what eventually became The Outer Limits series. Joseph Stefano wrote it and it (apparently) has also appeared under it's alternative title "The Haunted". It features a 'bleeding ghost' and a wickedly chilling story. For some reason it has failed to reach the video stage. Even one of the stars, Martin Landau, has said he used to show his 'two reeler' version of the film for guests in his home and it 'scared the crap out of them'. You can read more about the film in the latest Outer Limits Guide which talks about how they were originally going for a 'Ghost Story' style series, but the studio passed on that concept in favor of sci-fi. I believe a series called 'Ghost Story' which later became 'Circle of Fear' hit the small screen about five years later. Someone please get this 'Ghost' on DVD!
  • I would also love to see this movie in DVD. I saw it when I was 8 or 9 years old ( back in 1978 ) There must be a way to promote this film and somehow make it to see the light again. It is a classic now and probably the newest generations would love to see it too. The special effects are very simple but as the other people mentioned before ...it is all about the atmosphere. I do remember some parts of the movie, and if I am not mistaken I think I saw this movie more than 4 times. There most be enough copies around , in some local TV stations around The World, therefore I do not see why it could be impossible not to transfer the movie to digital.
  • crmurton-19 February 2005
    I have seen this film a number of times, since it was not uncommonly screened on Australian late night television in the 1960s.

Martin Landau's wife is dead, and interred in a crypt in the grounds of the family mansion. There is a phone line leading from the crypt to inside the house itself, and when it rings anguished sobbing is heard on the line.

Martin Landau believes it is his wife's ghost sobbing, but in fact it is connected with the ghost of an old Spanish mission, a painting of which is on the wall of the main room of the house.

The film is strong on atmosphere. There are slow, lingering shots which follow the phone line out of the house, and down to the granite crypt, which are quite creepy. However, the ghost, when it appears, is a disappointment.

The film never leaves the house and its grounds, and looks cheaply made, but it is one of those 'irresistable' films; the type that might become a cult favourite. Now I know why it looks cheap - it was a TV pilot!
  • Pretty good redone film from a failed TV pilot from the early 60's. An architect/paranormal investigator looks into a case where a wealthy blind man is being plagued by phone calls from his deceased mother. Good performances, particularly by Martin Landau and Nellie Burt. Produced by the same people who made The Outer Limits. Intended as sort of a horror version of that show. The black and white photography is excellent. Also includes the original 53 minute pilot titled The Haunted. Highly recommended.
  • In a simple breakdown, "THE GHOST OF SIERRA DE COBRE" was a labor of creativity and love from the highly talented Joseph Stefano, who had just finished working as a producer on the first season of ABC's "THE OUTER LIMITS", which he had stepped down from after ABC's unwise decision to move the series from its popular Monday night slot to Saturday nights in Fall 1964 ( "VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA") had taken over the Monday evening time slot that OUTER LIMITS held when the network renewed that show for its second and final season, and from there, Stefano began his impressive work on this unsold, but highly impressive TV pilot that had the same punching power as his work on "THE OUTER LIMITS" had. and while some have mixed reviews here, this impressive CBS pilot could've been a weekly series, but the network unwisely passed, but despite that decision, the work was still highly impressive, since Stefano took most of "THE OUTER LIMITS" crew to work on "SIERRA DE COBRE" ( Ben Brady, a former "PERRY MASON producer had replaced Stefano, but he still maintained his Villa Di Stefano partnership with Leslie Stevens' Daystar Productions) and pretty much took the cream of "THE OUTER LIMITS" first season crew with him for this unsold CBS pilot, making "THE GHOST OF SIERRA DE COBRE" a very rare and well made 1964 TV production that had amazing potential, but was a victim of fickle network politics and planning.
  • I saw this film circa 1975 in London, Ontario on a local afternoon movie presentation on CFPL-TV. Like the other reviewers, the viewing left me chilled to the bone—in broad daylight! I saw the film twice before it disappeared permanently from the local airwaves. Even though 40 years have passed, I don't believe I'm exaggerating the doleful atmosphere of the film, or the effectiveness of the shock sequences and climax. I've spoken to two or three people who remember it being as horrifying as I do. I've read that the shorter pilot film for The Haunted is more effective than the full-length TV movie, but this film didn't feel padded at all. Demanding a DVD!
  • I was a 6 year old kid in 1971 when one night my dad pick up this movie on TV (B&W). It was hideously captivating from the very beginning: my dad was so scared that he forgot to sent me out of the TV room and so I saw it. There are sounds and images from this movie that still echos in my nightmares: the camera following the phone line; the sobbing when someone pick ups the phone; I remember something falling without explanation to the ground,like some flower basket or such; one shot in the Mandour Mansion hall where the sunlight drops over a sofa on which a beautiful woman sits... and the "bleeding ghost". Yeah, terrified I was. Until 1975 the TV put it a couple of times and then I never see it again. Never an horror film has shocked me as this one, a real classic! But as far I can remember Martin Landau wasn't the dead lady's husband but a paranormal detective or something alike. The dead lady was Mr. Mandour's mother as far as I remember. The whole movie had this "atmosphere", something incredible arcane. Is it possible to find a video master or a film positive (or negative) somewhere and release a print? If someone accomplish to release he's have the No.1 Horror Film Ever, much better than actual CGI movies.
    Written, produced and directed by Joseph Stefano, author of the screenplay for Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho, Eye of the Cat, Home for the Holidays, Snowbeast and The Kindred, this was originally a pilot for pilot for an anthology series for CBS called The Haunted. Sadly, it was never picked up*.

Nelson Orion (Martin Landau) is an architect who has an affinity for the occult. His fiancee, Vivia Mandore (Diane Baker), is haunted by the mother of her first husband. If they want a future, the past must be dealt with.

This is way better and cooler than it had any right to be and man, I wish we could have seen more of Orion - housebuilder by day, ghostbuster by night - in more adventures.

*One theory is that the network received complaints that the movie was too scary and disturbing, so the project was canceled. Another - and potentially more likely situation - was that CBS president James T. Aubrey had originally greenlit the show and when he stepped down, they had no one in power who was interested in the series.
  • An exelent movie. in the line of TASTE OF FEAR.British produccion of 1961 with Susan Strasberg I saw it when I was a Kid. I prefer not to appear this time as a user comentary. I'M an actor(Stage and Movies(Television) My name is FELIPE ARMAS,and I appear in one of your pages on the IMDB. Not all my work,but part of it. I send you these lines, gentlemen, with my Gratitude.thanks very much for remembering me on your IMDB website. I am a movie collector and certainly this is the most complete Web site of the NET,about history of FILMMAKING. I am the host of a Talk Shaw on TV,here in my country and many times I talk to the audience about Your Web Site. Best Regards and excuse me for my english.It is not my natural born Language FELIPE ARMAS