- [first lines]
- Simon Murray: [narrating] Many people have asked why I joined the French Foreign Legion. And there is no clear answer. I was going nowhere is a hurry. I hadn't told anyone the English Army turned me down. I was fresh out of ideas. So I went in search of a different destiny.
- Title Card: Algeria has been a French colony for 127 years. French colonists called "Pied Noirs" and the native Arab population have lived side by side peacefully for generations. Now, Arab nationalists entrenched in the mountains have begun an armed struggle for independence. The French Foreign Legion has been called in to protect French interests and suppress the rebellion.
- Simon Murray: [narrating] Even Errol Flynn had been in the Legion. What more of a recommendation did I need?
- Lieutenant Thibault: [to new recruits] We don't need you weak. We don't need you dead. We need you invincible.
- Simon Murray: The truth is, I just stood and watched those sadist beat him. What kind of a man does that make me?
- Pascal Dupont: A sensible one.
- Simon Murray: I wish that I had attended university. There's so much I'd like to learn.
- Imam: I miss the days when the students crowded these rooms. Now they have better things to do. They fight the French. But when the madness ends they will come back, because madness does not last. And the life of the soul is eternal.
- [last lines]
- Simon Murray: [narrating] People never tire of asking me why I joined the Legion. It's taken some time to come to terms with those five years. But now I tell them that I discovered it's not about testing yourself to the limits. No finding out about your mental self. It's really all about finding your soul. It's about getting off the path, for that is where the freedom lies. So I say, do not follow where the path might lead. Go instead where there is no path, and leave a trail.
Contribute to this page
Suggest an edit or add missing content