User Reviews (504)

• The basic storyline of 50 First Dates: Henry Roth lives in Hawaii and spend his time wooing women who are visiting the island, simply because there is little chance of commitment. Then he meets Lucy Whitmore. One day they hit it off, and the next she doesn't even recognise him. It turns out that she suffers from short-term memory loss, and every day he tries to win her over once more. Firstly, I have to say that 50 First Dates is a really funny film. It isn't overly stupid, but it's not subtle either. But underneath the humour is where I believe this film's true beauty lies. It shows love in a way that I have never seen in another film before. From the way that her family sacrifices everything to keep her happy, and blissfully unaware of her condition, to Henry who, despite the fact that he could have just about any woman that he wanted, decides that he wants to be with Lucy, regardless of the fact that he has to meet her for the first time every day. Henry's character undergoes somewhat of a transformation in front of our eyes. The film starts off with him coming across as somewhat of a pig (well, to us women anyway :)), and by the end of the film, we truly admire him. He even sacrifices his dream so that he can be with Lucy, and help her to move on with her life. The film isn't really predictable, either. For example, I spent the entire films assuming that the ending would be somewhat different. Although romcoms almost always have happy endings, this one damn near had me in tears. And it wasn't even sad. I never knew what a feel-good film was until I saw this...highly recommended.
  • See, I am a married man. And watching this movie, at home on the sofa with my wife whom I love above anything and hopefully always will, almost brought me to tears and easily did her. This movie, no matter all the overdone/overacted characters and the fact that Adam Sandler is probably the worst person in the world the act crying, is simply the best description of love ever. To have the energy to every day win over the heart of the one you love, is what we all should do, though ever so often don't have the energy to.

I believe that movie criticism often nitpicks too much on technical details or other such stuff of -actually- little importance. Show me a person who is not moved by this film and I show you a person who knows zip about real love. Real, I mean. I am not a religious person and this made me feel closer to what people often call God, whatever that is. Maybe I exaggerate, but I want to. And no work of art, of any genre, can be asked to do any more. On scale of 1 to 10, this goes to 11. (Can you see?!)
  • Bob-4525 June 2004
    Take a little "Memento," Add a generous helping of "Groundhog Day," and even a little of "Sommersby" and you have "50 First Dates". Drew Barrymore and Adam Sandler create a synergy that neither has been able to capture with anyone else. Together, they produce a romantic team comparable to Gere and Roberts, Day and Hudson, Grant and Loren and Tracy and Hepburn. My wife and I watch "The Wedding Singer" at least once a year. While "50 First Dates" is a superior movie, I don't know if I can take the melancholy ending again.

For once I'm grateful for the Khamakazee antics of Sandler's acting ensemble, particulary Sean Astin and Rob Schneider. If Schneider wasn't playing such a farcial role, he would be a natural for an Oscar. Certainly the animals add a lot to the farce. The goofy humor makes the basically tragic scenario not only bearable but almost pleasant. It's also genuinely funny.

Sandler convincingly plays a marine biologist(!!!)in Hawaii who enjoys "entertaining" the "mainlanders." Sandler doesn't date "locals". He wants nothing to interfere with his dream of studying walruses. He discovers Barrymore having breakfast in a local bar and grill. What captures Sandler's attention, even more than her beauty, is Barrymore's creativity. What Sandler doesn't know is that Barrymore has brain damage. The brain cells which move short term memory to long term storage are destroyed. She forgots everything she's learned during the day while she sleeps. So, Sandler, the lothario who forgots his relationships with mainlanders after one week finds himself in love with a woman who forgets hers in 24 hours. That's writing genius, something you don't see very often, and Sandler, Barrymore, and Sandler's acting troupe handle it perfectly.

Though my wife is physically handicapped, my mother has severe short term memory loss. So, I really related to the trajedy so expertly portrayed in "50 First Dates". It's not often I give a movie that leaves me this sad a "10". The last time, I believe, was "Sommersby". Nonetheless, "50 First Dates" is a "10," since there is nothing about it I can suggest that make it better.

P.S. Looking forward to the NEXT Sandler/Barrymore collaboration.
  • This movie is so much more than what you think! It takes you on an emotional roller coaster. It is both hilarious and touching.

I would recommend this to anyone that likes comedies or romantic comedies. I wouldn't recommend it for children, though. Some of the humor is too mature.

Even if you're not an Adam Sandler fan, you'll love him in this. Same goes for Drew Barrymore.

I love this movie, and I didn't think I would. The movie turned out to be more than what I thought. And it will be more than what you think, too!
  • This is an excellent movie, I enjoyed every bit of it. It has a cleverish dialogue, a good ascending of events, and a good ending. Long story short, this is a movie that should NOT die. Sure, it has some downs, for example the underwhelming thought-woulda- been-funny scenes (like the penguin's). The hispanic dude was really good though, he had this fine impact on the movie.

Anyways, you gotta give this movie a shot, it is hilarious, and fantastic.
  • jfwhelan28 January 2005
    This is quite simply a very enjoyable film. It's not, perhaps, a great film, but it is fun and it left me feeling pleasantly content. Basically this is a romantic comedy about a man (Henry) and a woman (Lucy) who meet and fall in love, there is just one problem: Lucy won't remember, tomorrow.

It is easy to pick holes in films and yes there are things wrong with this film:-

• The first 5 to 10 minutes do seem a little out of place: I understand the need to set the scene, but couldn't help feeling that the pace and characterisations didn't quite fit with what was to come.

• Some of the characters take away from the story: Doug (Sean Astin) is a little over done and comes across as more damaged than his sister. Perhaps the worst, though, is Henry's female (?) assistant: this character was a mistake and did not belong in the film.

In the end, these flaws don't matter: the film is enjoyable and that is what counts.

The plot, even if somewhat contrived, is clever and in the context of the film believable: there is a good beginning, middle and surprisingly satisfying end. Some of the difficult aspects of the film are not ignored but properly dealt with. Clearly it is easy to read a sordid side into the idea of a man meeting a beautiful woman each day in the knowledge that she will forget everything and they can start again tomorrow. This is covered and Henry is asked some pointed questions; without giving anything away, his answers worked and leave us, the audience, able to enjoy the film, without any unpleasant nagging doubts or feelings of guilt.

Don't analyse or pick holes; just watch this film. Chances are very good that you will enjoy it. It is a fantasy a bit of escapism: a first rate piece of entertainment and hopefully it will leave you, as it did me, feeling pleasantly content.
  • Lets face it, when Adam Sandler needs a hit movie, who is he going to call, Drew Barrymore of course, and indeed why not, after the sentimental success of The Wedding Singer, anything these two bright young things appeared in together would be nothing short of pure gold.

A perfect case in point is 50 First Dates. Now as a rule i would never break out in a fever to go see anything with Adam Sandler's name attached to it, however i broke the rule when i first went to see The Wedding Singer, which contained many charming and heartfelt moments, as well as the comedic, aside from that one the only other film of note on Sandler's resume for me anyway has been Billy Madison.

Like all good things that come to pass, in between the misses more than hits, along comes the last to date pairing of Sandler and Barrymore. A movie i missed on it's theatre run but more than made up for it by viewing on DVD then subsequently purchasing it.

A lighthearted take on the notion of amnesia, with the emphasis clearly billed around a love story. We watch as local Hawaiian vet, Henry Roth, played by Sandler stumbles through existence, dating and dumping female holidaymakers, all the while searching for that perfect one. Into his life comes Lucy played rather charmingly by Drew Barrymore.

Of course loves young dream could never run smoothly, remember we have 95 minutes running time on this movie, So as soon as they have met and broke bread, the dawning of a new day arrives, but not without it's hitch. Without giving too much away, just in case their might be someone out there who hasn't seen this film, regardless of the hiccups that ensue throughout.

We are party to many highlights, which include Rob Schneider as Henry Roth's less than able sidekick Ula, Jocko the Sea lion and many many more. I personally never tire of watching it, not to the extent of reaching fifty times but i do regard it as a breath of fresh air, even if Adam Sandler parlays his usual bag of comedic tricks, but hey the late great Chris Farley did the same and it worked.

Truly a movie for all seasons, and a must if you are in a relationship. A resounding 10 out of 10 and that is saying something for a movie with Adam Sandler in it!
  • When "50 First Dates) came to theaters, I really wasn't interested enough to go see it. When it came out on video, I waited about 2 months to see it until it came down to the $1.99 rental price.

Was I surprised! This movie was so entertaining to me, that I wound up buying it. I only buy about 5 or 6 videos a year, so you can see that I really must have enjoyed it. It won't win any Oscars, but it will make you feel good when you watch it.

I am familiar with the condition that Lucy has here having a cousin who has a similar problem and has had it for several years. I was really concerned with how a production company can play a condition like that for laughs, but, somehow, they pulled it off. They treated the subject matter with dignity showing that the people who have this terrible condition can (and do) have somewhat normal lives. My cousin does it the diary way. She doesn't lose her memory everyday, but at different times. She has gone as long as 3 months in retaining her memory and has lost it on other occasions after 4 hours.

I am not a big Adam Sandler fan, having always thought he was a bit "over the top" in his other films. I thought he was going to do this in this film as well after the first few minutes of the movie. However, when he is shown in the diner with Lucy, he shows that he is really a nice guy who, deep down, wants to find a relationship that is fulfilling with a pretty girl.

Drew Berrymore is another actress that I don't particularly care for most of the time, but she is really a sweetheart playing Lucy. She is just so lovable in this role, it's hard to believe that she has the Demons in her past.

Rob Schneider is very good in his supporting role as is Sean Astin as Doug, the 'roid raging brother of Lucy.

Again, not an Oscar winner, but well worth the $15 or so to purchase it at WalMart.

Marty
  • AriLoren5 April 2011
    This movie goes beyond any other expectation of love.

I never would have imagined a story so well portrayed.

It's funny and shows how love takes us to greater strengths to show those we love most.

Definitely recommend this movie.

It has it's off moments that makes me say "what in the world were they thinking?", but overall I give it a 10. Made me cry like a baby in the end no matter the times I've seen it.

If we all went the extra mile for a love one as in here, more marriages would last.
  • Henry Roth is a man afraid of commitment up until he meets the beautiful Lucy. They hit it off and Henry think he's finally found the girl of his dreams, until he discovers she has short-term memory loss and forgets him the very next day.

At first, I just liked some of the usual humor: the use of spam to make me believe we were really in Hawaii. And also Rob Schneider, who is often the funniest person in Sandler's films. (He is still good here, though perhaps not at his best.)

I was pleasantly surprised that amidst the stupid humor was an actual story about love and the growing bond of two people. There could have been a variety of "Groundhog Day" jokes. And indeed, there were some. But the character Sandler plays is actually quite sweet. Who knew?
    Let me start this review by admitting that Adam Sandler is at the bottom of my 'funny people'-list. The guy just doesn't do anything for me. I don't think he's funny at all. I think Drew Barrymore is absolutely hilarious though and she carries every single movie she makes.

The first ten minutes of the movie are awful. Every cliché in the books passes us and Adam Sandler is simply horrible. After the first ten minutes something changes though. I'm not sure what it is. Maybe I learned to appreciate the humor or maybe the movie got funnier, I don't know, but...what a great movie it is.

I won't bore you with the story of the movie, but this is it in a nutshell: Henry (Adam Sandler) meets Lucy (Drew Barrymore) in a diner and the two really connect. The next day she doesn't remember him though and Henry finds out that due to a car accident, Lucy suffers from short memory loss. Meaning that everyday she wakes up under the impression that it's still the day of the car accident. She does the same thing every day, over and over again, not remembering what she did the day before. Henry believes Lucy is worth fighting for and every single day he manages to make Lucy fall in love with him. He hopes one day she will wake up and remember him. This of course never happens. He stays true to her though and the two get married and have a daughter.

What surprised me about the movie is that it's definitely not just a comedy. Sure, it's funny at points and even hilarious sometimes (Like ten-second Tom for example), but...it's just very romantic. There's just something deep behind the whole idea of 'falling in love with someone over and over again'. This movie deals with that in the literal sense and there's just something beautiful about that.

Conclusion: Drew Barrymore shines as always in this movie that goes a little deeper than your average romantic comedy. And Adam Sandler? He's not all that bad.

I give this movie 8/10 stars. I loved it.
  • This is a movie I never get sick of watching and have watched it far too many times to keep count. If you are into romantic comedies this is a must see, there are so many funny characters in it you will just have to laugh out loud at some point. Rob Schneider's character is just hilarious and if you don't laugh at him, well........ As always Drew Barrymore's acting is sublime and the movie is worth watching just for her. Not really your typical over the top Adam Sandler movie, but most if not all Adam Sandler fans will love this one.
  • jotix1002 January 2005
    Not being an Adam Sandler fan, we avoided this film when it was released earlier last year. The premise sounded too much like "Groundhog Day". We took a chance the other night when it was shown on cable, and frankly, we found the movie entertaining. There are more laughs in this than in another, perhaps more pretentious picture, "Punch Drunk Love".

Drew Barrymore and Mr. Sandler had worked together before to surprisingly good results. They show an easy chemistry between them that serves the movie well. The idea of making Adam Sandler an aquarium doctor offers a lot of possibilities; his scenes with the walrus are hilarious.

The supporting cast plays well together. A surprise was Rob Schneider, not one of my favorite actors, either, but in here, under the direction of Peter Segal, he delivers. Sean Astin, as the lisping brother on steroids is quite effective, as well as Blake Clark, as Lucy's father. Dan Aykroyd puts an appearance as the doctor who treats the young woman who has lost her long term memory.

Watch it without any preconceptions, as probably it will surprise you.
  • I might be a little bias, because I've seen this movie so many times. Regardless, this movie always lifts my spirits. Not only is it funny, but it has just the right amount of romance to pull at your heart string without ripping it out.

Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore are the perfect on screen couple. Their chemistry seems so real. Not to mention they both just look so darn cute next to each other.

I'd recommend this movie to anyone.
  • christian12324 January 2005
    50 First Dates is a very funny movie and for Sandler its one of his best. Adam Sandler plays Henry Roth, a womanizing marine biologist afraid to commit, who falls for the woman of his dreams, played by Drew Barrymore. Unfortunately, she has a brain disorder that makes her forget everything that happened the day before whenever she falls asleep, so every day, he needs to win her over and make her fall in love with him anew. The plot is nothing new as this movie is a cross between Memento and Groundhog Day both very good movies. What makes this movie work is the chemistry between Drew Barrymore and Adam Sandler since they work so great together and make the film fun and also this film is better then Sandler's last effort Anger Management. Sandler is great in this film and he is one of the funniest comedians around today. Drew Barrymore is very good in her role as Lucy and she makes up for the horrible Duplex. The supporting cast is also very good with the best being Sean Austin. Rob Schneider has a small role in this film but he still manages to draw some laughs. The last main part of the cast is Dan Aykroyd and his role isn't very memorable. This movie has good intentions and some sad moments like when Lucy finds out she can never have her memory restored or when she sees pictures of herself from the accident. However, there's also some gross humor so I think this movie can appeal to everyone under the age of 21. Rating 8/10 one of the funniest movies of the year and a must see if you want a good comedy.
  • Okay, so "50 First Dates" is mostly silly, but they do a good job with it. Honolulu veterinarian Henry Roth (Adam Sandler) falls for Lucy Whitmore (Drew Barrymore), only to find out that, due to an accident, her memory only lasts one day, so she won't remember him the next day! How will Henry cope with this? The movie gravitates between goofy and sensitive, but never gets mind-numbing; Adam Sandler always has something up his sleeve, and he and Barrymore have a great time with the material. As is often the case in Adam Sandler's movies, one of the characters is an embarrassment to everyone else (in this case, it's Rob Schneider as Henry's whacked-out friend Ula). Great fun.

Oh, and one more thing: don't watch "50 First Dates" if you haven't seen "The Sixth Sense" first.
    Adam Sandler's movies is mixed bag for me. Some of his works, are really horrible, however, this movie isn't one of those. This movie is one of my favorites from him. I have always been a huge fan of his romantic comedy with Drew Barrymore. Starting it with 1998's 'The Wedding Singer', and follow up with this movie. This movie directed by Peter Segal, has Adam Sandler as Henry Roth, a local veterinarian falling in love with Lucy Whitmore (Drew Barrymore) an amnesiac student in Hawaii. Since she has short-term memory loss cause by a car accident, Henry must learn how to recognize the difficulty of building a relationship with someone who will never remember you; and how to overcome that, for the reasons for love. Without spoiling the movie, too much, I have to say, while, this movie concept seem depressing, I think screenwriter, George Wing and Adam Sandler put enough charming comedy in the film, so you don't have to think, how stressful, it must be, for Lucy to wake up to find out, her entire life has change. While, the memory impairment suffered by Barrymore's character is fictitious, I think the movie gave enough respect to her ailment, that it doesn't seem, just like a running joke. Drew Barrymore plays her illness, very well. The movie really does explore, what struggles, she has to tend with, and if Henry Roth should even continue to love her. Because of that, this movie is a lot more mature and emotional driven than Sandler's earlier works. It's both heart-warming and very heart-breaking at the same time. Both Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore work well with the story. I'm glad, that Sandler's role in this, wasn't of a man-child, with anger issues, and an annoying lisp. He was somewhat charismatic. I can see a woman like Drew Barrymore falling in love with him. Even the supporting characters were strong, they share some good emotional scenes and some really fun laughs. I like Sue (Amy Hill) the Hukilau café manager and friend of Lucy and her late mother. She was so motherly. Pomaika'i Brown as Nick, the Hukilau café chef was a guy, I would love to hang out with. Even Lucy's father, Marlin (Blake Clark) & steroid-dependent brother, Doug (Sean Astin) was watchable. I think the only jokes that didn't go well is with the supporting characters of Ula (Rob Schneider), the native-Hawaiian friend & Alexa (Lusia Strus), Henry's ambiguously gendered assistant. I found the gay jokes to Alexa to be a bit mean-spirited; while Ula felt a bit offensive, with the over-the-top Hawaiian Yellow face racism stereotypes. While, some of the jokes, are offensive, gross, and not call for. Most of them, really works with the script. Very few jokes, fall flat. Even the pop culture shout outs inside jokes like the brain institute is funded by auto parts manufacturer T.B. Callahan of Sandusky, Ohio from 1995's film, 'Tommy Boy" fame & how the characters go to a golf course like 1996's Happy Gilmore' were clever enough that it was fun to see, even if most audience didn't get it. It's even funny, when the movie makes mistakes, like saying the Boston Red Sox didn't win the World Series, when they did that year. Not only was the movie, very funny, but the movie was very beautifully shot. I love the fact that they shot in real Hawaii Island locations. The rural shots really makes this film, seem very unique, compared to the other Adam Sandler's films that mostly take place in an urban New York City like settling with way too much product placement being shown. It's a blessing in disguise. One of the big things about this movie has to be the music. I love the tunes of the Beach Boys, playing in the background. 'Wouldn't it be nice" to have music like this, again. The other song, worth noticing, from the film is the covers song from Hawaiian native artist, Israel "IZ" Kamakawiwoʻole. I love his covers for 'Somewhere over the Rainbow" and 'What a Wonderful World'. His tropical reggae version of 'Somewhere over the Rainbow', is my favorite version of the song from the 1939's 'Wizard of Oz'. It's beats singer, Judy Garland's version, 50 times over. It's so good, I kinda wish, it was the state anthem for Hawaii. That's how much, I like that version. I also love the fact that this movie, help inspire 'real world application treatment for people with early dementia. It's nice for them, to watch a video every morning in which they see comforting messages and reminders from family members that they may still know. If that's not a good reason to love this movie, than I don't know, what is! The movie is also so good, that in 2014, a Malayalam film titled 'Ormayundo Ee Mukham' was created, to capitalize on the premise. Overall: While, '50 First Dates' doesn't have the complexity and depth of something like 1993's 'Groundhog Day', with a similar theme. It was entertaining enough to be stand out. In the end; check it out. You will find yourself, loving this movie as well.
  • I can't begin to say how much I like this movie. Barrymore is better in this than the Wedding Singer. It is a Sandler comedy so I've rated it with the idea in mind that it's purpose is to make you laugh and also tells a great, albeit unlikely story. Sandler is superb in movies he doesn't write. I don't like most of the movies where Sandler has had a heavy writing credit. Those are usually too sophomoric to be enjoyed. The music is great, the setting is great, the story is great and the characters are hilarious. I often wonder how people can take things so seriously. I mean if you read the synopsis or see the trailer for a movie Sandler is in and it looks like a corny comedy then go in with the right attitude. I watch this movie every time I see it on because it is just enjoyable. Barrymore can be mesmerizing at times. I can't think of a single character that is annoying.
  • clinluo27 March 2020
    You may want to fall in love many times when you are young, but as you get older, you finally understand that if you love someone, even if it takes a lifetime, it will not be enough. Because of amnesia, every day, like falling in love with you at the first moment, has become the most emotional part of "Fifty first Love", while the light comedy style of director Peter Siegel and the bright sunshine of Hawaii make the film feel as beautiful as a dream.
  • lesielisekona23 February 2020
    First off, Rob Schneider is spot*on with how he depicts an islander!!!! I can definitely say that because he reminds me of so many friends and family members, it has me LOL'ing every time!!! I love the main characters!!! Awesome chemistry and acting- love the story and how realistic it slowly becomes.
  • 50 FIRST DATES is a very enjoyable film--especially as a date movie. However, it's also a film that also has a plot that is completely ridiculous and unbelievable, so you really need to be able to put aside your critical side and just sit back and take the movie for what it is--a nice romantic-comedy.

Adam Sandler is a tough actor to pigeonhole. On one hand, he's the guy who made such obnoxious comedies as LITTLE NICKY but on the other, he can make some enjoyable comedies (WATERBOY) and probably his best film was another romance starring Drew Barrymore, THE WEDDING SINGER. Considering how successful and sweet this film was, it's certainly not surprising that they'd return for another try.

This time, the plot is very unusual to say the least. Adam plays a rather shallow womanizer who becomes totally infatuated with a woman who is just about impossible to get to love because she cannot remember anything that occurred after an accident. In other words, no matter how much he captivates her and makes her love him, when she awakens, she can't remember anything from the previous day. While brain damage can create an individual with impaired short-term memory, the way the illness is portrayed is pure fiction....as is the idea that any guy could see a future with anyone with such an injury. It's sure fun seeing Drew and Adam together, but you just can't take the plot seriously at all.

My advice on this one is to watch it. And, if the plot is too much to handle, switch it off and try something else. However, if you stick with it, nice acting and a nice quirky romance might just make it worth your time. Oh, and guys, this is a great "chick flick"--even if you don't like it, your special someone very likely will.
  • I will admit right now, I am not an Adam Sandler fan. However, I found this film to be surprisingly enjoyable. It is sweet and cute in places, and while certainly not a masterpiece it is above decent. A vast majority of the jokes work here, and that was great to see, and the direction was surprisingly subtle. The camera work was good making good use of the gorgeous scenery, and the soundtrack was lovely. I had little problem with the performances; Adam Sandler gives of his more likable performances, and Drew Barrymore is the persona of sweetness as his love interest. Out of the supporting performances, Rob Schneider guarantees a number of laughs, and Sean Astin comes close to stealing the film in places. But it is the chemistry of Sandler and Barrymore that shines through despite the flaws that mar it from being more than enjoyable.

While Dan Aykroyd has a small appearance, it is sadly one that isn't particularly memorable. The plot isn't exactly original, and certainly isn't the most interesting one ever. And the script does have its ups and downs, and is predictable. Overall though, it is a sweet feel good film. It has its flaws, but it is a brave attempt at a romantic comedy, and mainly because of the chemistry of the two leads it mostly succeeds. 7/10 Bethany Cox
  • First, let's forget about the facile comparison between this movie and Groundhog Day. Anything with Bill Murray in it is just to annoying to be taken seriously. Second, this is nothing like Groundhog Day, anyway. It's much better. And don't for an instant listen to the idiots who are comparing this movie to Memento, still the most overrated, vapid, pointless, gimmicky, dull, worthless movie ever to be hyped into the public psyche. But I digress.

Drew Barrymore is undoubtedly the most adorable woman in movies today. She's beautiful, bubbly, child-like and yet sexy. In short, she's perfect. If Meg Ryan is getting too old to do all the Meg Ryan movies, no worries. Drew is there, ready, willing and able to become America's cinema darling. And she's cuter than Meg.

But what about Sandler? Isn't he a crude, obnoxious, fart-joking, hooligan who isn't as funny as the thinks he is? See, you're still thinking about the OLD Adam Sandler. This is the new Adam. He's funny, sensitive, vulnerable, and yes, adorable. In short, he's matured as an actor, making the pairing of Adam and Drew the best romantic comedy pairing since the aforementioned Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks.

The story is fairly simple. Drew has a problem with her short term memory, and Adam loves her but has to convince her to fall in love with him all over again every day. But the story isn't in the telling, it's in the watching. Drew and Adam flutter around each other like butterflies, dazzling in the sun, as the delicate journey from being strangers to becoming lovers is repainted every day. And yes, there are fart-jokes and vomit-gags enough to make any Sandler fan happy.

One thing that makes this movie so enjoyable is the amazing soundtrack. I can put the DVD on and simply listen while I surf, and the music alone is delightful. But what really makes the movie is the way it starts where you would expect it to, a typical Sandler movie, and then floats beautifully higher and higher into the realm of cinema gold. It isn't until about midway through the movie that you realize you've got more on your hands than you expected, and by the end of the movie, if you aren't crying you should ask for a refund on that therapy you've been taking, because you haven't learned to express your emotions at all.

Maybe half a dozen times a year I find a movie that enters the list of my favorites, and I can pull them off the shelf and love them all over again for years to come. I keep those DVD's on a separate shelf from the rest of my collection. It's a small shelf, in a different room from the rest of my collection. 50 First Dates is on the small shelf.
    Like him or not, Adam Sandler is very clever. His wacky over-the-top slap-stick is just a way to get you to laugh before he sticks you in the heart with something completely unexpected and you suddenly end up with tears in your eyes. I rarely buy DVDs, but this (and the Wedding Singer) is a notable exception. The perfect date movie - over and over.

I won't repeat the plot-line - read a couple of reviews. What bears noting is Rob Schneider's ridiculous and hilarious supporting role. No Oscar, but he was brilliant.

The chemistry between Barrymore and Sandler is easy and natural. And for you Sandler fans, his Lucy song will have you rolling. Sentimental without being sappy, it's a story of a family dealing with a debilitating injury and a tireless guy who's willing to win his girl's affection every day. I don't know how some reviewers see the ending as sad or disappointing. It seemed like an obvious victory of love and devotion over adversity. My wife and I watch this movie over and over. How else would you treat a 10?
  • catpantry9 April 2020
    This is a good one. Gentle souls in this one. Dramatic storyline, colorful views, capures the twirling human forces pretty good. Tall man does a back flip over sandler. Sandler ignores it and moves on to his feasting. Sandler drives the boat calling out. Does it turn out good? Does it turn out bad? Or is it that sandler will all of a sudden be able to keep quiet and not have to do anything at all? (stuff never ends like that because we're controlled). You'll have to watch it.