• Kudos to VH1 for "I love the 80's". The new direction of the network seems to be the "Behind the Music Channel" with the majority of their shows being similar pop culture-type Documentaries. Which is fine by me as long as they keep the standards up to par with Behind the Music, such as they have with "I love the 80's". This show covers nearly all the bases and leaves very few items out. It's a must-see for everyone who lived through the 80's.

The one and only drawback (and perhaps the thing that keeps this show from achieving near-flawlessness) are the interviewees, who are certainly funny and interesting, but not exactly experts on the subject matter. All too often it is blatantly obvious that the "celebrity" has completely forgot and/or is totally unknowledgeable of the pop culture topic they're covering (and had to be reminded). It REALLY would have been nice if they had interviewed FANS of the shows/movies they were discussing, and not just people who can only say "oh, yeah, that was a good movie" or some such drivel that anyone can spout. Especially to counter the constant jokes at the expense of the many of the quality flicks they were trying to praise. And the new "200 Pop culture Icons" took this problem and ran with it- they brought in Reality TV NOBODIES to comment! People whose 15 minutes are up, and have nothing relevant to say. ["I love the 80's" has a DISTINCT subject of discussion, unlike "Pop culture Icons" which can't decide if it's an "100 greatest actors" list or "100 greatest characters" list.] Don't waste your time - stick with "I love the 80's" reruns and hope VH1 does better next time around with "I love the 70's".

Despite that oversight, I think just about anyone will thoroughly enjoy this nostalgia trip, as this show overcomes those relatively minor flaws (your average viewer probably won't care anyway. Its probably just rabid fans like myself who doesn't like to see his favorite films bashed by non-fans just making fun of it.) I highly recommend this mini-series.
  • Vh1 has really outdone itself, it has put on a hilarious show that is watchable over and over (they make sure of that by replaying it almost every day). Everytime it comes on I am completely hooked. It is so addicting!

Without the help of Micheal Ian Black, Hal Sparks, Mo Collins, that guy witht he glasses (I so TOTALLY forgot his name), and many other celebrities this might not be as good. But those comediens make it so darn funny. And sometimes it gets funnier with each viewing! I think I have seen each episode at least 3 times, all 10 of them.

But what stinks is that it had to end. I mean 10 hours of the 80's is a little much, but then again not enough. I could do with 20! It's that good!

I know I love the 70's i right around the corner and I can't wait! Though I wander if it will have the full effect of I love the 80's. Only time will tell, dude.

*10/10*
  • I caught this on television when it first aired back in December of 2002. After watching the very first episode ("1980"), I instantly became addicted. This was unlike any mini-series I had ever seen on television before. It was absolutely incredible. It was funny, it had good music, it was entertaining, it was simply the best thing I had ever seen on VH1 at the time. I never knew that watching a mini-series could be so fun. What makes "I Love the '80s" and "I Love the '80s Strikes Back" so great are the commentators. Tom Arnold, Rich Eisen, Greg Fitzsimmons, Natasha Henstridge, Ron Jeremy, Wallace Langham, Hal Sparks, Donal Logue, Mo Rocca, Henry Rollins, Stuart Scott, Dee Snider, Joel Stein, and Weird Al all provide great commentary. The best line of the entire series comes from Hal Sparks when commenting on STAR WARS EPISODE VI-RETURN OF THE JEDI: "Lucas says that he planned out all these stories from the very beginning, so why are they kissing in the first one? It's gross. Why in the first poster of Star Wars is she clinging to his leg, like an inch and a half from his crank, and then two years later it's his sister. Eww." Hopefully, VH1 will release this fantastic mini-series along with "I Love the '80s Strikes Back" to DVD soon. Judging from the number of fans they have, I have a feeling it would sell millions and millions of copies.

My rating: 9/10
  • In response to users Nick-337 comment about you having a hard time believing Beyonce and Leeann Rhimes remembering anything about the 1980s. First of all I was born in 1982. Persons born in 1981 and 1982 like Beyonce and Leeann were 7 and 8 when the 80s ended. We started elementary school when the decade ended. Many of us remember Challenger, Ronald Reagan and the Berlin Wall falling. Do you mean to tell me that you don't remember anything when you were a child. Many people born in the early 1960s remember when JFK was killed, and even more so when RFK, and MLK were killed, the Vietnam War, the Beatles and Woodstock, and NO ONE disputes them. Why is is SOOO hard for you to believe that persons born in the 1980s remember many aspects about the decade. As a child my favorite shows were Knots Landing and Family Ties. My first crush was on Michael J. Fox and Ted Shackleford. I think its safe to say anyone born from 1980-1983 (early 80s) would have enough memories to relate to the decade. I would find it "hard to believe" if a person lived 7 or 8 years and did not remember anything about their life.
  • The first time I saw this show, it was early in the morning and I was still half asleep. I rolled over, turned on the t.v. just to hear some noise in the house and WHAM!, I've been hooked ever since. I swear, I don't think I laughed so hard in my life.

Hal Sparks is either the most knowledgeable person alive on the history of the 1980's or absolutely had no social life growing up. The man knows practically all the words to all the movies and songs of the 80's era and reproduces them with hilarious results.

I can't go on enough about this show. Anyone who grew up in the 80's and remembers that era with any fondness will love this show. It's fantastic and I am sincerely hoping for a follow-up since they only hit the tip of the iceberg with what was covered for each year. You'll love the commentaries...they poke fun at the past but in a way that's more of a "laugh with you" than "laugh at you" attitude. 'Cause hey, we ALL owned a Members Only jacket at some time in our lives. lol
  • VH1's creation of "I Love the 80's" has it all. The show functions like a documentary, with music and TV stars commenting on a wide range of topics: television shows, cartoons, bands, movies, styles as well as historical events that all took place during the beloved decade. There is an hour long episode for each year, packed with all of the listed subjects. The shows also have special segments for every year: the Hunks, Babes, Births, 'Then & Now', 'Mister and Miss' and 'Make-out Songs'. The show helps viewers reminisce while hilarious commentators like Michael Ian Black, Mo Rocca, Hal Sparks and others point out the ridiculous aspects on the topic at hand.

Favorite quotes include Donal Logue remembering Bryan Adam's "Summer of '69", saying "Wait a second, you're full of sh*t, you were like, four." And also Michael Ian Black recalling Molly Ringwald movies saying "Every movie starts off with Molly Ringwald being upset about something, and then I come in and have sex with her."

Funny, smart and even informative on what you might have missed during the eighties.
  • i hate MTV. i love VH1. it's more fufilling and isn't loaded with crap. i found out about the show, and thought "wow, that's pathetic". but one day, my mom was watching 1987, and i was laughing so hard along with her

it's one of my favorite shows. my favorite years were 1980, 1985, and 1987. i think hal sparks and michael ian black are the funniest guys on the show. some of the dialogue is kinda risque (sexual stuff) and most of the people annoy me (diceman and mary lou reten-grrrrrrr), but it's the best things about vh1.

i'll say this: i can't wait until "i love the 70s", when they show it in august
  • This is probably one of my favorite shows on vh1, I've seen it more than 10 million times and every time it gets better and better, Hal Sparks and Michal Ian Black are very very funny, i love both of them but Hal is definitely # 1. Watch this show, its entertaining and u might learn something about 80's that u didnt know!!

I LOVE THE 80s!!!
  • There was a great idea behind "I Love the '80s": round up a bevy of stand-up comics and just let 'em go to town on the big hair, absurd trends and loud style of the 1980s (great as it was, the decade really had it coming). But they also collect pretty much every minor celebrity who was on the radar in 2002, and that muddies the waters. A lot of these people have that deer-in-the-headlights look, offering commentary on topics they only have a passing familiarity with.

But here's the thing: this happened at evidently just the right point in time, when the period was really ripe for comedic reflection. I remember getting sucked right into this when it was originally shown, and I wasn't even all that big a fan of the '80s. Today, the presentation just seems fatuous - but back then, it was extremely watchable. It's no wonder VH-1 would weekend marathon this badboy. Put this on in the background, disregard the A.D.D. editing, and it's not bad.

• Great Mini series that I must have seen at least each year 10 times. Hal Sparks, Michael Ian Black, Mo Rocca, and Rich Eisen were the funniest of the bunch. I recommend this to anyone who has any kind of a sense of humor and it's great to watch when you're bored. 10/10.
  • The combonation of the hilarious commentary by various familiar faces and the nostalgia the show brings back to you is near intoxicating. Yesterday, for example, I watched the entire 10 hour marathon. Addicting? It defines the word.
  • I never thought the eighties were that cool, until....I LOVE THE 80's! After watching this I was talking about the 80's all the time. This is a great documentary to watch when you are bored. Great show, I love all the guest appearences by different celebrities. Totally like watch it dude.
  • I could rave for hours on how much I loved this miniseries, but I'll try to keep it short and sweet. It was funny, it was witty, etc., and even though it's easy for anyone to make fun of the '80s, VH1 did an excellent job on getting people who supply us with hilarious one-liners that one can't help but quoting. Hal Sparks, Michael Ian Black, and Mo Rocca were classic, but the other celebrities were great, too. Kudos and I hope "I Love the '70s" is as well-done.
  • I remember watching this on New Years Eve 2002 since it was early in the morning and I was bored. I was instantly hooked.

I was born in '88 and I never knew much about the decade. I knew some films, and it was interesting to hear the comments of these very funny people.

My favorites were Michael Ian Black, Hal Sparks, and the love of my life, Mo Rocca. My only problem with the show was that there wasn't enough Mo. But Hal was there to make things right.

An hour wasn't enough to cover each year. I needed more! I can tell that this mini-series will definatley become a cult hit. I can't wait for "I Love the 70s"

Meghan's rating: ***1/2 out of **** (For lack of Mo Rocca)
  • MeanMaggie8 July 2003
    I love 'I Love the '80s'!!!! What a decade! Not only were there terrific movies (Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Top Gun, Back to the Future . . .), awesome toys (Rubic's cube, transformers, Cabbage Patch Dolls . . .), great music (Wham!, Cyndi Lauper, Michael Jackson, Madonna . . .) and priceless fashion statements (acidwashed jeans, members only jackets, crimped hair, MULLETS! . . .), but almost everybody that VH1 is laugh-out-loud funny! One of the best mini series ever!
  • star_e55 July 2003
    I have seen this show so many times I can't count. I have favorite years, know what happens in each episode. Hal Sparks (especially when he talks about Footloose) and Michael Ian Black are hilarious. This show makes me laugh so much. I love the segment with Duran Duran and Wham!. John Taylor was so beautiful!
  • The first time I saw "I love the 80's i was hooked. I have seen every episode at least 3 times. Michael Ian Black, Greg Fitzsimmon, mo Rocca, and Hal Sparks all b ring comic relief. Its great seeing the brat pack pac man and rubix cubes all over again. It made me realize how much i miss the glorious 80's.. also things like acid wash jeans day glo and frankie goes to hollywood made me glad to say good bye to them. I watch it every time its on and still laugh out loud whenever i see things like short circuit and david hasselhoffs light up jacket.

the best show on television today is without a doubt "I love the 80's"
  • I stumbled across this little gem when my mom shouted up the stairs to me to come downstairs and check out what was on TV. She (along with everyone else who knows me well) knows that I'm a huge fan of '80s culture and insisted that I would love it. Right she was. I'm quickly approaching my 25th birthday this year (in a little over a month); therefore, I lived through my childhood years and two of my preteen years during the '80s. I believe that the first episode that I saw of this series was the 1986 episode; I found myself fixated on the witty commentary and reflections of the good and the not-so-good trends and happenings of that year. I knew that I wanted more. Luckily, there was another episode following that one, and I was so excited. I've taped every episode since and I still catch them if they're on when I'm hanging out at home.

The series is divided into ten hour-long episodes for 1980 - 1989. There is a wonderful cross-section of interviewees that range from '80s icons to some of today's stars. My one teensy-weensy gripe about the show is that a few of the interviewees are, in my opinion, too young to wax nostalgia on the '80s (Raven-Symone & LeAnn Rimes, for example). However, Raven-Symone was on the most popular sitcom of the '80s (The Cosby Show), so maybe that's the reason that she was interviewed. VH1 also may have decided that they wanted some young stars integrated into the mix to reach a younger viewer demographic as well. Anyway, it's too small of a turn-off to be bothered with, I suppose.

I found myself laughing and gasping at some of the things that I could relate to owning, remembering, wearing, and admiring from those years. It's how I sum up childhood and beginning to come of age; those years remind me of what my life was like before the onset of my teenage years and being stressed out over silly things. It was truly a happy time and this series captures the cultural aspects of that time.

• Take a bunch of entertainers from different genres and mix their thoughts in about the movies, TV series, hot musical items, and fads of the 1980s with clips thereof, and you have the most entertaining anthology that VH1 has ever produced (which is saying a lot). The reminiscing is real, but neither the interviewees nor producers take the show too seriously. Giving each year, 1980-89 inclusive, an hour makes for a guaranteed marathon of "oh yeah! I remember that!" television. Some of it makes you laugh, some of it makes you roll your eyes, but all of it takes you in. There was also nice casting in declaring the more notable names and moments, namely Andrew "Dice" Clay declaring "Mr. & Mrs. 198x", Lionel Richie "giving you" the Make-Out Songs of 198x, Bret Michaels declaring the babes of that year, and Traci Elizabeth Lords (who has never looked better) introducing the prime hunks. The public service announcements were the cherries on each annual cake.

Only one flaw: devoting time to "Wheel of Fortune." That show actually got its start on NBC in 1976 with Chuck Woolery as host, but it went into syndication with Pat Sajak in the mid '80s, and continues still today. I consider WoF a timeless classic, not an '80s fad.

As one who graduated high school in 1985, I always feel that the 80s was "my" decade. I'm glad VH1 put something together that remembers it like I do.

Best line, Michael Ian Black on Debbie Gibson vs. Tiffany: "Please don't make me choose .... that's like asking me to choose between my kids."
  • I LOVE this series. I've seen every episode several times, but they never fail to leave me in stitches. For me, the '80s are just vague memories of Hall and Oates LP's, Care Bear dolls, and early cable TV. But that doesn't stop me from loving the '80s and fondly remembering the culture. Some of the panelists were annoying (particularly Hal Sparks at times), but the series is still nothing short of sweet, cheesy perfection.

My favorite episodes are probably 1980-82, but I loved them all. I'm just praying that acid wash denim will never, ever make a comeback.
  • Okay ... so I'm not exactly an '80s fan. I was born in 1989, missing most of the '80s. I don't remember practically anything that they talk about on the shows, but that's okay. It's still entertaining to watch.

The commentaries are usually pretty funny. The featured movies, TV shows, bands, etc., are all big parts of the '80s. It's all just pure entertainment to watch. And it can inform those, like me, who don't know much about the '80s. What's not to love?

An 8 out of 10. Not bad at all.
  • i am sickly obsessed with the "i love the 80s" show. its on all the time and i cant escape it. i dont even mind. i look foward to watching it. ive seen them all so many times and yet i cant be torn away. top notch stuff really. michael ian black is hilarious. he has a wealth of useless trivial knowledge that is best put to use in this arena. watch out for the mullet-love, he-man, top gun, dungeons & dragons (with a hint of journey), juliette lewis' middle school 'do, the depeche mode/morrisey psuedo-goth rant...amazing. really. the most amazing thing about it has to be its addictive quality. EVERYONE HAS TO SEE THIS JUST PUT ON VH1 I BET IT'LL BE ON.
  • I have sat down and watched this show for hours on end (it helps that I have no life), and I still like it even though I've seen every one at least once and some any number of times. I'm a child of the 80's (1983), so I can recognize a lot of the things on the show. I've seen quite a few 80's movies as a kid, such as Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, Back to the Future, The Goonies, Child's Play (very frightening for me, I haven't looked at a toy the same since), pretty much all of the classics, and watching this show makes me want to see them all over again. Very entertaining, very funny, enough to make me wish I had my Care Bear and my New Kids on the Block sleeping bag and tee-shirt back. Oh well, I'll just have to make due with all of my Pound Puppies (and my Pound Purry). My personal favorite commentators were the Barenaked Ladies.
  • I love this show! It was pretty funny! I was born in the late 80's. I do remember ALF, Child's Play, The Facts of Life, and what else? And the have the best make-out songs, some of them I can remember. My favorite episodes would probably be 1984-1986. I hope they have "I Love the 90's, although I think the 80's is more interesting and fun than the 90's.