• 'Tropic Thunder', 'The Cable Guy', 'Zoolander'... Ben Stiller has created some entertaining comedies, but 'Walter Mitty' is by far his most audacious piece of direction so far. The story is solid and the cinematography is stunning, Stiller has created an utterly mesmerising spectacle that follows the same basis of the 1947 classic starring Danny Kaye. Whilst I found the majority of the film charming and entertaining, it's the beautiful cinematography from Stuart Dryburgh that really sells this flick, and in my opinion should have been worthy of an Oscar- nomination at the least. One of the most entertaining comedy-dramas I have seen in recent years, a film that Stiller should be proud of.
  • I am a fan of many fandoms and have seen many films which include elements of or are about fantasy, dreams, and/or imagination. But ever since The Secret Life of Walter Mitty came out, it has been my favorite film of all times. I can't quite say why this film appeals to me to such an extent. I suppose because I myself have spent a lot of time daydreaming about all kinds of stuff, and have, at times, felt a bit out of place in the world we live in. What I have found most enchanting about this film is just how very ordinary and relatable Walter Mitty is. And then he stumbles into this odd adventure... but it's not just your ordinary hero-on-quest, great-adventure story. It is so much deeper than that. Please watch this film! You won't regret it!
  • Ben Stiller is Walter Mitty, a man who looks as if he does nothing, is nothing and is perceived as nothing. Except for during his little fantasies in which he is a hero, but during these weirds moments in which he dozes off, others write him off.

Until he finds a goal in life, which puts in him adventurous situations by accident, which transform him in the man he always was. A unique individual, an adventurer, a dreamer who fulfills his dreams and finds the appreciation he needs and deserves. But the appreciation doesn't come from other, but from himself.

What the movie does brilliantly, is make the watcher feel connected to Walter Mitty and feels with him. You'll find him goofy, but likable. Your respect for him will grow with every minute, and at the end of the movie, you'll love him. Maybe you even recognize your own milestone moments, mountains you have climbed, seas you have sailed, so we all are bigger than we are perceived, as long as you have that respect and confidence from within.

Props to Ben Stiller. Jim Carrey had his Truman Show, Will Ferrel had his Stranger Than Fiction. Ben Stiller's Walter Mitty should be in that group.
  • I saw an advanced screening of "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" last night. To the right person, this movie is life-changing, life-affirming, and truly beautiful. No, the narrative isn't perfect. The script isn't perfect. There are narrative flaws and stretches of the imagination, but this movie is about stretching the imagination.

The concept - of an underachieving dreamer finally discovering the world - is something most of us can relate to. Accompanied by a truly beautiful soundtrack, Oscar-worthy camera work, and the surprisingly able acting of Ben Stiller, as well as an accompanying cast which includes Adam Scott, Kirsten Wiig and Sean Penn, among others, this is heart-warming and truly special.
  • nancy-330-87890427 December 2013
    I expected this to be funny and perhaps a little goofy. What it is is a breathtaking work of art. This is Ben Stiller at his best. The movie is just wonderful. It's funny, thought provoking, touching at times and startling at others. It's entertaining throughout. The pace may seem slow at times to those used to action packed films, but I personally don't care for nonstop technically enhanced action scenes for no apparent reason. I've been hoping people would tire of those for some time now, so we can get back to good stories again. This was a great story, loosely based on the original short story by James Thurber. I wish there were more movies out there like this. That would definitely get me back into movie theaters. As well...the acting was superb all around. Kristen Wiig was outstanding--as usual. I think this may be her best work as well.
  • Jondotg25 November 2013
    I had been looking forward to seeing this movie since I saw the preview. I was a big fan of the original story, and although I knew the movie would be very different, I could see that this would end up being one of my favorite movies. I was not disappointed.

Ben Stiller is perfect as Walter Mitty. His performance was exactly what I wanted. There was one scene in particular that seemed a little out of place, but then again you have to remember that Walter Mitty has a very active imagination. Ben Stiller's performance was so engaging, a nice break from his usual slapstick roles (which I also love). If you are hoping to see him doing one of his usual humorous roles, you will be disappointed. If you want to see him capturing the emotions of a man that has a hard time expressing himself, you will love this movie.

The visuals in this film were particularly fantastic. From the New York offices of LIFE all the way to Iceland. Every scene was perfectly captured and just beautiful.

Finally, the soundtrack. While I was definitely distracted by the visuals and Ben Stiller's spot-on performance, the soundtrack deserves a nod as well. Every song fit perfectly with the tone of the film. There are a few scenes that stand out as particularly wonderful, and I'm sure you'll know what I mean once you see the movie. This will definitely be on my shelf once it is released.

Really my only criticism is Adam Scott. While he is great at playing the jerk boss, his beard is very distracting. It looks fake, as if they pasted it onto his face. Other than that, I think the movie was pretty much perfect and can be enjoyed by anyone looking to see a beautiful movie about a man with a very active imagination.

Enjoy!
  • statetax25 December 2013
    One really has to wonder what the professional reviewers are really thinking. We looked over the family movie list and barely decided to go to this one based on lackluster reviews. Six out of six of us REALLY liked it and found it deep and entertaining, and easy to watch. By all means, if you are looking to enjoy a movie, go see this one.

If you are looking for a connection to the original story, the connection happens during the first 45 minutes and then seems to go in its own direction. Big deal. The movie moves through characters development, plot lines, and geographies smoothly, and does not reveal its final hand until the end.
  • It might be difficult for choosy audiences with cynical dispositions, but if we can look past the pesky product placement in "The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty", we're left with one very, very good film. Ben Stiller, who usually seems to have little clue how to use his specific talents, gives his best performance to date in front of and behind the camera. This is a film that may not resemble the source material verbatim, but the spirit is clearly alive, with a few touches to modernize the idea. As a whole, it's a sweet, confident, and poignant film that has a lot to say, but I think it speaks only to those willing to listen.

Walter Mitty (Stiller) is a negative asset manager for Life magazine- basically, his is the department responsible for bringing in and processing the film from the field that will go into the magazine (and by his 'department', I mean Walter and his assistant (Martinez) ). In essence, in the time Walter has worked at the publication, the very soul of the magazine has been processed on his watch. It's prescient, that his seemingly simple position holds so much sway, but we'll return to that idea.

His problem, it seems, is that he daydreams. Mind you, this isn't the type of absent-mindedness that you or I take part in. Walter misses large chunks of actual time in his fantasy land, jolted back to reality by silence, love interests, or transition managers. In his escapes, Walter is well-traveled and mysterious, interesting and not invisible to others. He's confident and allowed to pursue that which he wants. In other words, he's the full version of himself. I like how this film pulls back the comedic reigns here- Stiller too often becomes, well, Stiller, and overdoses on the comedy. Here, the humor is subtle and fits the tone of the film. It also doesn't pander, or make us feel sorry for Walter. There's a very good reason his life is the way it is, and again, it's presented without pretense.

I mentioned a transition manager, profiled in full douchebag by Adam Scott. Well, the print version of Life is going under in this film, and switching to an online format. Positions like Walter's are likely to be eliminated, as well as accounting spots like the one Cheryl (Wiig) holds down. However, before the end, they want to send up one last issue, and long-time contributor Sean O'Connell (Penn), who has sent a roll of film containing an image he specifically wants to become the last cover. The problem is that Walter has either misplaced it, or it was lost along the way. This causes him to seek it out, thus finally spurring him to make his fantasies become, well, realities.

I think a good portion of society can identify with an individual that finally lets loose a bit, that allows himself, finally, the adventure he deserves. A lesser film would make these emotional breakthroughs farcical, ala "Last Holiday", but this is subtle and decent. That's why the big reveal of what that last cover image is a fantastic moment. I believed in this Walter Mitty as a hard- working guy who missed out on life thus far due to some bad luck. It was wonderfully refreshing to see a character, despite his quirks, find happiness in the midst of just being, well, a good guy.

I caution those looking simply for a pandering, feel-good story around the holidays. That's not what this is. Instead, Stiller and crew have taken the spirit of the source material and adapted it to our world. Granted, there are a few goofs- for example, Walter seems keen on good rock music and skateboard culture, but he isn't aware of a popular David Bowie song? Also, how does one get a clementine cake, sweet as it may be, through customs? Those things don't doom the film, but I do feel it's another reason this will divide people- those that claim this has nothing to offer but cynical product placement messages, and those like myself that sense a broader theme of becoming who we want to be, and understanding where we lose our way. That's a powerful thought, and this quietly beautiful film has the sense to not beat us over the head with it. After all, the film does tell us that "beautiful things don't ask for attention". That's certainly a statement that a number of filmmakers could stand to hear more often.
  • avali201327 December 2013
    I loved this movie. I know some critics say this movie is like flicking through a National Geographic magazine. I disagree, this movie is a well-balanced triumph. Fantastic views, simple yet wonderfully poignant story line and strong lead actor. Kristen wig and Sean Penn had unidimensional roles within the movie but they are not the leads. The humor was tasteful, adequate and well placed. It was such a pleasant surprise from your day to day blockbuster and I strongly prefer this movie to the desolation of Smaug which I watched the night before. Ben Stiller has managed to achieve an impossible feat with this movie, an elegant contemporary film without excessive emotional histrionics or sexual overtones. Strongly recommend this movie to anyone looking for a modern take on life. Just like the lead, Walter Mitty is your everyday guy doing an everyday job faced with realistic modern day issues. One day, he takes a leap of faith and that has made all the difference. How can anyone not love this movie?
  • jon.h.ochiai25 December 2013
    In Afghanistan on the snow covered Himalayan Mountains grizzled and world wise Sean O'Connell played by Sean Penn gazes at his coveted photo moment. Sean says that all he wants is to be "in the moment". Sean Penn is selfless gravitas in this moment as he confides in Ben Stiller's exasperated mild mannered Walter Mitty, who literally travels to the ends of the earth to track down the maverick old-school legendary photographer. Be in the moment and be present in life--are the eloquently poignant lyrics of Director Ben Stiller's "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty".

I loved the James Thurber short story which Writer Steve Conrad based his update. Walter is the chronic day dreamer, an escape from his ordinary life. At times Director Stiller and Writer Conrad teeter capriciously all over the narrative landscape including a hysterical and touching eHarmony thread. Granted they humorously frame Walter's "zone outs" from reality. One obscure gag from "Benjamin Button" is nearly wacky enough to spiral into incoherence—fortunately it does not. There is the amazing upside. In a joyously freeing scene Walter skateboards down the winding roads of Iceland; spectacularly filmed by Stuart Dryburgh. Kristen Wiig in a touching turn goes unplugged with David Bowie's "Ground Control to Major Tom". All the curious rifting I think is forgivable for its noble purpose. "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" celebrates being present in life. No one is alone.

Ben Stiller is quietly heroic navigating Walter's transformation into the unknown. His blank stares as Walter "zones out" touch the depth of our own vulnerabilities. He is bold, funny, and aware. Walter Mitty (Stiller) is a photo negative archiver at Life Magazine. He has given up on his dreams, taking on the financial and emotional stress of his aging Mom brilliantly played by Shirley MacLaine, about to enter a care home. His sister is flighty wannabe actress Odessa (good Kathryn Hahn), dreams of playing Rizzo in "Grease". Walter joined eHarmony so he can date Cheryl Melhof (Kristen Wiig), who works in the same office. Wiig charms as Cheryl, the quirky single Mom of skateboarder son Rich (Marcus Antturi). Cheryl is smart and pretty, and is actually interested in Walter, if he had a clue.

Life Magazine has been taken over by another Company. To transition over to an on-line magazine, Ted Hendricks (brilliantly arrogant Adam Scott) heads the restructuring corporate team. Ted is a major jerk— arrogant and not as smart as he thinks. Walter is the sole personal contact of legendary cover photographer Sean O'Connell (Penn). When Sean's photo negative for the cover of Life's last newsstand issue is missing, Ted focuses his attention on Walter. Sean claims this is his best photo of his career. Walter must find the missing negative to save his job and possibly win over Cheryl. Working with Cheryl, Walter starts his search in Greenland. Somehow diverting to Iceland, Walter calls Cheryl from a Papa John's Pizza there. It all ties in.

Ben Stiller is inspiring, as "Walter Mitty" amazingly never takes itself seriously. The movie joyfully celebrates life as illustrated by the beautiful soccer game with Walter and Sean in the Afghan mountains. Stiller makes us pull for Walter as he reclaims his power. Kristen Wiig is funny and compassionate as Walter's gentle muse. She is surprising. Sean Penn is awesome as Sean O'Connell, strong and whimsically wise. Shirley MacLaine anchors in her Mother's unconditional love for her son Walter, without many words. Patton Oswald nearly steals the movie as Todd, the eHarmony profile adviser. Warm and hysterical he punctuates Walter's transformational journey. Stiller reminds us with humor and soul that Life is wonderful when we are present in it. "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" is funny and beautiful.
  • This movie is gorgeous. The cinematography is fantastic. The characters are endearing, and you find yourself rooting for the lead. A truly fantastic movie that I have enjoyed even after many rewatches.
  • I saw this movie on a special sneak preview event. I admit being utterly mesmerized by some of the trailers. I did really enjoy the film. It has a nice message and is definitely a feel good movie. There is nothing wrong with that. For me, this is the most beautifully looking film I've seen this year. The cinematography and camera shots were fantastic - right up there with Life of Pi and Gravity. It's definitely worth seeing on the big screen. I personally enjoyed Ben Stiller in a more serious role. The film has comedic elements but everything is a bit more subtle and reflective of a man trying to find his inner courage and voice.
  • jt411 December 2013
    Iconic
    I have given this a "10" rating. There was one minor issue I had with the movie that would make it not quite that in my mind, but a "9" rating would be an injustice to this extraordinary film and, since I'm unable to give it a 9.75 or something like that, "10" it is.

This movie strikes an incredible balance between indy/art-house and Hollywood epic. The pathos of the main character is well-captured in subtle ways, as are the feelings of triumph when he is able to go beyond his own self-imposed limitations. The cinematography is extraordinary-- this is a drama that *must* be seen in theaters. I expect that most adults with any sensitivity at all will find this a highly satisfying experience that speaks to their very cores. My wife and I were privileged to see it in an advanced screening, and can't believe we have to wait another couple of weeks for the official release to go back and see it again.
  • I don't even know where to begin with this film. It shot straight up to the top of my favourite films list so much so that I created an account here just so I could review it and give it the 10 stars it deserves. I think everyone should watch this film at least once. You might not like it as much as me but I still think it is important to see it. The cinematography is breathtaking, the soundtrack is moving and transporting; reeling you in to each scene and emphasising further any feelings of empathy you will have already had with Walter Mitty. The ending completely caught me by surprise and made me cry for a while, and does so every time I've seen it after. Ben Stiller is amazing in this role, truly exemplifying his true talent as an actor, and also a director. Many critics or want to be critics could find flaws or weak spots of the film, but personally the story was so heartwarming, encapturing and inspiring that I didn't notice anything that would even be considered wrong or out of place. This film inspired me, a person who relates to the shy anxious Walter we meet at the beginning, to say yes to more things and speak my mind more often, and to see the world. I implore you to watch this film, and I hope that it brings you the same indescribable happiness it brought me.
  • sidduaartha26 September 2018
    This is a very good movie & I loved watching it. It's worth my time and everything is perfectly balanced. This movie shares a very good message with the audience. I'm glad I watched it. Don't listen to the negative reviews. Trust me this is the best movie to watch alone and as well as with your family. Thank you for this beautiful movie Hollywood.
  • That one line Sean O'Connell said, describes the entire experience: beautiful.

What an awe-inspiring film with an incredibly motivational "motto" to go with it. I related to this so much; it had so much depth and realism that it was pure, unadulterated joy to watch.

Maybe it was that I wasn't expecting much or that I had something incredibly different pictured in my head but, whatever it was, it floored me completely.

For me, this film was a perfect blend of action, adventure, comedy, and romance, with a dash of slice-of-life to boot and make the concoction its own thing. I would gladly have it over and over again.

And do not get me started on the music and the visuals; absolutely sublime. What gorgeous cinematography, add to it beautiful vocals and decadent tunes, it becomes magic.
  • I would like to open with one word; Wow. I had been wanting to watch this movie since I had seen the first trailer. After being invited to an advanced showing I got very excited. The movie was outstanding. The cinematography was perfect and the character development was extraordinary. The film was very well paced and at no point did i believe the film was too short or that I felt rushed during the movie. It has its action moments and satire, but overall it is a very happy film. I will most likely see the film in the future again because this is up there with Forrest Gump and Django Unchained as a near perfect movie.
  • sbertk13 September 2015
    6/2015 I adored this film. From the cast, to the plot, the scenery and the score. This film is beautiful in every way. Its uplifting, a spiritual journey for a man who needs to find himself. There are no dull moments, instead it jumps quickly from scene to scene leaving you with beautiful land and oceanic views. Sean Penn is wonderful in the role of Shawn. The use of "ground control" give the whole movie a "larger than life" feeling. This is an A++ film. Ben Stiller is wonderful! This is a comfort film. Snuggle down with snacks, a fluffy blanket and a cool breeze and just go far far away. If I were able to gush more I would. I'll just leave it at a must see and if you haven't already watched, what are you waiting for?!

Update:8/2016 Still in love with this film. It's timeless. Even though I have watched Walters adventure more than a handful of times, I still go back. This movie has replaced "Hook"(W/Robin Williams) as my "sick" movie. If or when I'm not feeling good, I put on Walter, and feel loved and warm almost as soon as his first daydream. This is NOT the original movie. It feels and moves nothing like it. This movie is timeless. Much the same as the '95 Pride and Prejudice. Though others may try to imitate or even replicate this film, no one will really be able to hold the impact of Stillers version.
  • Loosely based on the 1939 short story by James Thurber, The Secret Life of Walter Mitty explores the idyllic fantasies of its titular protagonist, as he attempts to escape the mundane motions of his daily routine employment at Life Magazine. When Mitty (Ben Stiller) discovers that photojournalist Sean O'Connell (Sean Penn) has misplaced negative 25, intended for the cover of the final print of the publication, he sets out on a larger-than-Life journey to locate the missing photograph, while reducing his need for daydreams as he discovers that not even his wildest fantasies are a match for an adventurous reality.

In addition to starring, Stiller also takes on directing duty, and does a mostly wonderful job of collaborating with writer Steven Conrad in adapting Thurber's classic tale of a man's yearning for more out of life.

A fantasy adventure with glimpses of comedy, The Secret Life of Walter Mitty is, in one word, pleasant. Envision a pyramid of qualities; the film's dreamlike sequences comfortably and rightfully sit atop its magnitude of highlights. With the lines between fantasy and reality often being blurred in Mitty's zoned out state of paralysis, he invites us into his crazy, hazy, even mazy lapses into daydreams of romanticism, adventure and pleasure.

Why are The Secret Life of Walter Mitty's fantasy sequences so successful? Because of their relation to our own imaginations: the things we wish we could say but don't; the places we wish we could go but won't. The film's fantasy references are inspired by popular movies such as The Matrix, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Harry Potter and pretty much every superhero film ever. This hilarious and creative approach to Mitty's fantasies offers an insightful look into how uninsightful our own imaginations can be, as they crave originality but settle for what has been imagined before.

Perhaps a slight disappointment to Mitty's on screen daydreams is their quantity. While Thurber's short story is dominated by the character's constant drift into his fantasy worlds, Stiller's adaptation favours reality and narrative over fantasy and themes. The film's aforementioned highlights are too few and far between throughout the 114 minute feature. Thus, it may have been Beneficial for Stiller to lengthen the film slightly in order to incorporate more of Mitty's fantasies, which would have better established his dissatisfaction with life.

Despite this, The Secret Life of Walter Mitty does have a story investing and intriguing enough for it not to be the film's demise. The secrecy behind negative 25 drives the film along, with love interest Cheryl (Kristen Wiig) also spurring Mitty on in the passenger's seat, inspiring the anxious and rigid dreamer to take his unpredictable ride and become the person he desires to be.

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty is refreshing in its lack of reliance on dialogue. Instead, the film's beautiful soundtrack and score, cinematography in exceptional landscapes and even the quietness of Mitty, tells us pretty much everything we need to know. The Secret Life of Walter Mitty consists of visual wonderment, with superbly selected and composed music to harmonise the scenery, complementing each other as they stroll hand in hand through Mitty's perfectly paced journey.

"Life is about courage and going into the unknown." If you fail to relate to Mitty's early illusory state, cautiousness and absence of courage, then you probably live a somewhat audacious lifestyle, in which case good for you! For the rest of us, The Secret Life of Walter Mitty is a relatable, pleasant and semi-inspirational modernisation of Thurber's story.

Just as the film's concluding third appears to have little payoff considering its memorable opening two, The Secret Life of Walter Mitty wraps up with a revitalising, picture-perfect moment, fulfilling enough to make cinema-goers reconsider 2013's most impressive movies.

In spite of its imperfections in almost keeping Mitty's secret life somewhat of a secret from the audience at times, and preferencing the film's plot over his fantasies, this adaptation is nonetheless a satisfying, fun, visually and audibly pleasing present for the holiday season. Not even Walter Mitty would fantasise about battling you through the streets of Manhattan if you waited for The Secret Life of his on DVD or Netflix, but this delightful film is definitely worth the time and box office cost if you find yourself looking for inspiration for your own imagination.
  • Here's a warning for you: I'm probably biased with just how much I love this movie.

Reading through the other reviews of this film baffle me. While I find it completely understandable for pretentious people to find this feel-good movie cliche or too unrealistic I cannot possibly understand how people find it boring, I've watched The Secret Life of Walter Mitty multiple times and am always completely enraptured with not only the characters and scenery but the use of framing and color. The structured lines, the blue-ish palette that ultimately changes to use red as Walter comes out of his comfort zone. It's obvious and cliche but its beautiful and the humor in it is great even if, sure, I'll give you that it plays off Walter's social awkwardness maybe a little too much- especially given that Ben Stiller isn't exactly giving an oscar worthy performance.

I also think that this movie has some of the best uses of product placement I've ever seen. Rather than including a single meaningless and out of place shot of a product to promote it like you might see in a Nicki Minaj music video, this movie incorporates the product placement into the story. Papa Johns has meaning, its not just a pizza place the characters show up to and comment on how good the pizza and service are, it's Walter's first job after his dad dies- he doesn't even like it due to the bad memories it brings up for him. The same goes for eharmony, its not just a way for Walter to get involved with Cheryl, it's a malfunctioning website with a good employee that ultimately plays a role in Walter's journey. How could you complain about product placement like that? Movies cost money and if you think that a movie is bad just because it has product placement you need a reality check and a step down from your ego, especially if the product placement is like this.

The hardly talked about soundtrack is a wonderful blend of José González's songs and an instrumental score that combines motifs and González's humming. I had a playlist of it playing on repeat for a week after I watched the movie.

This has almost definitely all been said before, but I couldn't leave help myself after reading these reviews from what must be miserable pretentious people who think that a movie is only good if its dark, dramatic, and has no clear resolution. I could tell it was a good movie At The Least from the very first time I saw the trailer. I couldn't care less if you disagree with me.
  • "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" is a short story written by James Thurber way back in 1939. It was about a henpecked man who escapes into a fantasy world of danger and heroics to compensate for the depressingly dull real life he leads.

Screen writer Steve Conrad adapts the title and the name and over-active imagination of the main character and tells his own original story. Ben Stiller directs and stars in this obvious "labour of love" of a movie project.

Walter Mitty is a timid guy who tends to "space out" and enter into a world of his own where he is able to do wondrously heroic exploits. He would rather join an online dating service than to meet this girl Cheryl at work that he fancies.

One day, he misplaced the precious negative of the photograph meant to be the cover of the last issue of Life Magazine. As his job is on the line, Walter needs to look for Sean, the globe-trotter photographer who took that missing photo. Upon deducing that Sean was in Greenland, Mitty suddenly decides to throw all caution to the wind and just go on a difficult quest, which will be the biggest adventure of his lifetime.

Visually, this film is perfect with its breathtaking cinematography and unobtrusive special effects. Many scenes, particularly those showing Walter skateboarding in Iceland, or climbing the Himalayas, were very memorably shot with unique camera range and angles.

The script does fall into melodrama, but I did not mind this. Ben Stiller was very good as Walter, capturing his shyness and cluelessness so sensitively. I liked Walter's moments with his mother, played by Shirley McLaine in a subdued likable manner. I also liked Walter's awkward romance with Cheryl played by Kristen Wiig, in only the second role I have seen her since "Bridesmaids." She was also very relaxed and natural here in a straight role. Too bad we do not see the full strength of her comic skills.

I cannot deny that I was disappointed with how the story went. Once we reach the second half of the film when Walter actually stops having fantasies and does things for real already. I know of course that this was the point of the film, that dreams were there to be fulfilled. I just felt it somehow lost the spirit of the source short story.

Overall though, this was an entertaining feel-good film that will bring us to places we rarely see on screen. The spectacular photography of the exotic settings demand that you see this film on the big screen.

Despite lofty comparisons with Forrest Gump, Walter Mitty admittedly does not exactly reach those heights. However, upon watching this film, you will wonder how something so beautiful-looking could have been totally shut-out from Oscar or any other award consideration.
  • The story of the search of one small photograph takes you on an amazing journey into the world's most beautiful places and makes you discover the beauty of living your life to the fullest The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty is Ben Stiller's best work ever as an actor and as a director. My favorite movie of all time and one of the most inspirational movies ever made and very underated. If you haven't watched this movie yet you have to
  • I thought that this was a very moving and well done movie and I wasn't a Ben Stiller fan until watching this movie. I think Mr. Stiller did a magnificent job in his portrayal of Mitty who is an average individual living a life of quiet desperation until he has the courage to follow his heart. It's one of those movies that you will want to watch more than once.

Walter Mitty, played by Ben Stiller, might remind you of yourself as living an insignificant and repetitive life at the mercy of institutions, society, politicians and circumstances. While Mitty suffers through life, he has moments in which his imagination provides him an escape from this prison into a world of his own making as hero and adventurer.

Mitty appears pathetic and weak as he learns and reacts that "Life" magazine, where he works, is being repurposed and downsized. The new transition manager and his lackey's tease and humiliate Mitty for being out of it and call him Major Tom referring to the song by David Bowie which comes to play an important role in the movie.

Despite the abuse from the transition manager, Mitty continues to accept his plight in life until he freaks out when he sees that the most representative negative of Life magazine's history that is to be used on the last issue of Life magazine is missing. This leads Mitty to start a personal journey that forces him way outside his comfort zone and his routine into a real-life adventure as he tries to find and retrieve the negative. As the movie progresses Mitty becomes more and more committed to this self quest and finds himself traveling the world and experiencing real life adventures beyond what he had previously day dreamed. This self quest to follow his unique path consumes and nourishes him in ways he's never known before and which results in an admiring self evolution.

I won't give away details of the film, but highly recommend it. Well, maybe just a peak... There is some awesome cinematography in this movie. The scenes of Mitty skateboarding through Iceland are fantastic and are guaranteed to evoke an emotional reaction from you if you like adventure or nature by any measure.

Even if you have already seen this film, it's fun watching again. Especially if you like films depicting individuals discovering and following their own path. The travel and skateboarding scenes by themselves are worth watching the movie again.
  • The Secret Life of Walter Mitty is without a doubt the best surprise for me in these holidays movie season. Even if it's not a major cinematic achievement in any particular way, it is incredibly confident with a clear and universal message.

In time when movies always try too hard and tend to be excessive, 'The Secret Life of Walter Mitty' seemingly effortless delivers a timeless story to its audience. The movie is beautiful, charming and funny, yet it achieves all that without taking itself too serious. That's its real trick in my opinion.

It is unfortunate the movie wasn't off to a great box office success, but I'm sure the movie will find it's audience. You probably won't find any Oscar worthy performances, but that's not always everything. From time to time we just need to be reminded how beautiful life can be, and the movie does just that brilliantly.
  • Actually just one of them would make me want to give this a 10/10 and it is very close in my eyes. The scene I'm talking about involves a helicopter and a song that really got under my skin. If you don't feel a thing during that scene ... well I don't know what to say. The whole thing is build upon feelings and dreams. Obviously breaking out of them and making some of it reality (not the ones that can not be achieved obviously, like flying or other stuff) is the ultimate goal.

Ben Stiller might be known for one thing, but we can see with this movie he has a wider range. And the visual/virtual effects he uses help support his vision. A vision of a novel that I haven't read, but sounds more than intriguing even after you've watched the movie. Which cannot be said about most of novels/movies that have been made this way. This is not your typical movie, even though it might hit some familiar notes and go ways that are to be expected. Take the journey and fly with it ...