• I bet you Gene Simmons and Vincent Pastore negotiated in advance how many episodes they would be willing to appear in. Isn't just too contrived for Gene to switch to the ladies team and then throw himself on his sword? And Big Pussy? What the hell was that "look at me, I'm a rat!" double episode crap? All that cliché mafia banter- COME ON! The big names voted off just happened to already have received money for their charity and got a custom tailored exit. Hmm... This is not reality but staged drama! Mark Burnett's other show, "Survivor" also raised questions for me when Johnny Fairplay stages his departure when he clearly had just a short time before his child is to be born.

Yuk!
  • I am at present following the series in the British version on BBC 2. It's exciting and fun but once one starts to realize that this is the reflection of the real world out there it tends to make one despair. Those guys "in the fast lane" who or what are they really? Very shallow people who are extremely insecure in the sense that they are always trapped in the game of sucking-up to their superiors and/or treading on their inferiors. Their main concern is that nobody sees through their fake approach and this attitude alone consumes an enormous amount of personal energy.These are the guys and ladies whom when you catch them on one of those rare occasions when they're off-guard, will convince you that there is essentially nothing truly exceptional about their personality and that they are basically constantly frustrated by the nagging thought that the price they pay for their ongoing masquerade, might not be worthwhile at all. As to the concept of this "reality" game itself, one can remark that there are obvious shortcomings as to its effectiveness: granted that the idea of opposing two different teams in order to achieve maximum results is acceptable, one has to take into account that the "ego" competition between each member of both groups is so predominantly present that it is without any doubt detrimental to the concept of team-building in general and consequently also to the achievement of the preliminary defined objectives.On another level, one wonders if it isn't precisely this form of "work ethic" that has also contributed to the collapse of the financial urban jungle we are witnessing at present (previous sentence added April 2009)
  • For the first couple of seasons, I thought The Apprentice was a highly engaging and exciting show. The combination between reality TV and a 16 week job-interview was innovative, and the producers of the show managed to keep the show relevant and not too "out there".

The new season 6 is nothing more than a big joke and it has absolutely nothing to do with business - at all. In the earlier seasons they used to put a lot more emphasis on the business-related tasks - now the focus is mostly in the boardroom where the contestants are expected to do EVERYTHING to keep them on the show (that means lying, trash-talking, backstabbing etc.). The boardroom can be entertaining to watch, but it's entertainment at it's low-point - Sometimes you wonder if you are watching a repeat of an old Jerry Springer episode. The tasks on the show are, at most, boring and mostly a showcase for the companies who are dumb enough to pay NBC for the publicity. And what is the deal about half of the contestants living in tents in season 6? That is just plain stupid and has nothing to do with business in real-life.

I have absolutely NO respect for any of the contestants this season, they all seem like idiots to me. In earlier seasons at least some of the contestants had a bit of integrity, now it seems like the contestants would kill their own mother to keep them on the show. It also seems like Donald Trump's massive ego becomes bigger and bigger for every season that pass by and to be honest, I can't see why anyone with a common sense would want to work for him. His rationality in the boardroom mostly doesn't make any sense at all and sometimes it seems he just like to trash people for what it's worth.

R.I.P The Apprentice. Please NBC, for God's sake, get the show off the air as soon as possible. It's just too embarrassing to watch. The Apprentice was once a great TV-show, but now it's just a big fat joke.
  • I LOVED the Apprentice for the first two seasons.

But now with season 5? (or is it 6?) things are getting just plain too tiring.

I used to like the show, but its become Donald Trumps own ego fest. Granted its his company you'll be working for, but come on! some of the things says "You're FIRED" is just insulting.

after watching the show, I would not want to work for him. not because he is arrogant, pompous or such. Its just that the show is unrealistic and the way he handles things makes me just squirm. Good Entertainment? YES, but tiring as the back stabbing gets so tiring.. its not team work, its not personal, its just business. watch your back jack.
  • I think the worst part of the Apprentice is that it takes an excellent concept (finding the next Apprentice by putting the contestants in real-world situations where they have to show project management skills and business acumen to survive) and places the dumbest contestants where intelligent, ambitious people should be. It particularly angers me that the women on the show are always chosen solely for their looks and lose their tasks because they are vapid, engage in cat fights and have air in the space where their brains should be. Of course, this has to be contrasted with the male contestants who are (usually) immature and have superegos, but at least have some sort of brain power. The blatant sexism on this show is obvious. But at least the concept of a reality show for the business world is engaging and you can feel slightly better about watching reality TV when it isn't about TV romanticism or really bad singers. Let's just hope that eventually they can find competent contestants to fit the bill on the show. Now wouldn't that be interesting?
  • Season after season, the players or characters in this show appear to be people who you'd absolutely love to hate. Is this show rigged to be that or were they chosen for the same? Each episode vilifies one single person specifically and he ends up getting killed off. You enjoy seeing them get screwed although its totally wrong and sick. You enjoy seeing them screwing others, getting screwed themselves, playing dirty, getting it back, escaping and finally getting kicked out by Trump. The amount of tears also seems to be increasing by the season.

The rewards which attempt to compensate for past humiliation and suffering are also heavily reduced. In the newer seasons, its like "You get to meet xyx who'll lecture you about uvw"..like who freaking cares? The characters are so hateable, collectively and individually, that you wonder if they're paid actors? The only sane one gets to win.

Watch with caution and maintain a conscience. Those are your fellow human beings in the firing line.
  • Even the tagline says it, "It's nothing personal, its just business" Finally there's a reality TV show that shows contestants the true meaning of a dollar. Not by falling off a bridge, eating worms, taking off your clothes, but by learning the ways in business. Donald Trump is the host and also producer of the show, he puts these young kids(over 20) into tasks that they must complete if they want to succeed into the next level. If they make it, they stay for upcoming episodes while Donald tells the others, "You're fired!" I love the fact that there can be a reality show without hurting anybody's feelings, and that Donald Trump gets to the point. I love the fact that its a success and it can teach other people about the business world. This beats the hell out of watching 'Friends', 'Frasier', 'Will & Grace' and others.
  • How can Donald Trump be so clouded in his judgment? He expects, when putting a new leader in a group of bickering women with little backbone, that she should immediately know what their expertise is and to be able to assign them in the tasks instead of her asking them what they each felt their best skills were and that she was going to hold them accountable for that. I thought she did a great job of taking that group and making three times the sales as the men. At the end of their tasks, they were all working as a team and for a minute they forgot about stabbing each other in the back. But when it was time to get ready to go to the boardroom, no one had a clue as to what integrity was, or what a good leader they had. She tried to explain her strategy to Donald but he never seemed to want to really LISTEN to her. I have noticed this in other shows. He likes to interrupt and in my estimation acts as a bully. Yeah, he can do that with the money he has. But does that say anything about his character? People can make money and make themselves powerful that way, but that does not make them a big person. And thats what really counts. After seeing this last episode, I was not sure what to do - - - laugh at the farce that this show has now become or to be ashamed for the women, and ashamed for Trump.
  • dragokin4 March 2014
    Prior to watching The Apprentice i knew hardly anything about Donald Trump. He was a guy with a funny haircut who went bankrupt and managed to get back on his feet, basically one of those characters adding to the allure surrounding New York.

I devoured the first season in a weekend and went on to find out more about this guy. He was portrayed as a boss everyone would love to have. It went that far that at a certain point i've almost stopped caring about the participants and their tasks.

After reading a book or two and watching him running for president at least once i got a better picture of Donald. And a couple of years down the line i've accidentally ran into new episodes, i guess Season 5. By then my perception changed, since i witnessed just another reality show. Donald didn't get younger, either, and became almost a caricature of himself.

In any case, the first season was great, the rest not so...
  • I watched several series of this show and the one that got to me the most was when pierce Morgan won even after his morals, honesty and integrity was non existent ! If that is what is required to make money and trump respects creepy slimy men that have no honor, well I am disgusted! How can trump run around with his head up his ar...e when his idea of success is stabbing people in the back and when it comes to money it doesn't matter how you get it as long as you make money! This disgusts me! There are a few series where I thought trump was out of line! He kept on telling Jesse James that he didn't deserve to be with Sandra bullock and he was surprised how a classy woman was with him! You could see Jesse was effected! I couldn't care less about James but what trump said was stupid! I wish there was more honor between the contestants!

I did like the series where Joan rivers won!
  • koziki200314 April 2007
    I can't stand most reality shows and this one is worst than the one with Paris Hilton, and sure it's his company. But "you're fired" or "you're hired", for how many seasons now? After watching the show I wouldn't want to work for the guy with his ego and all and I think watching paint dry has more entertainment valve.

I'd love to hear just one person get up and say "Donald I quit and take some of your money and buy a decent hairdo". I see he's even trying to buy fame in the wrestling WWE. I hope he gets hurt so I don't have to see his pathetic face anymore. It must be sad to want fame so bad and have no talent and make an ass of yourself trying to buy it. I'd give this show a negative mark if I could but it gets a 1 and it doesn't deserve that.
  • I am not one who watches much reality television. However, I have taken to The Apprentice. The first season was much better; not a lot of backstabbing, Omarosa commanding an audience, Rancic winning this thing fair and square. It showed that good television based upon the workplace can be made without a lot of "backstabbing caddy crap" that we generally see in the workplace arena. However, the second season has not been as good for these reasons. These women are nothing more than backstabbing wenches who have made a "game" out of this 15 week job interview. As for Donald Trump, yeah, he is a good businessman, has left some good food for thought on the show and appreciates loyalty. On the flipside, he needs to learn to read between the lines. He fired StaceyJ unfairly. He stated that in business, you have to learn to "listen to people." All agreed that StaceyJ was nuts...blah, blah...Um, listening to people is important, however, does he not know a set-up when it is staring him in the face? Yeah, he caught a LOT of flack for firing StaceyJ and this is why. READ BETWEEN THE LINES DONALD! They all agreed because of their "secret meetings" against StaceyJ. Was StaceyJ perfect? No! I agree, wanting to take The Mattel sign was unethical. However, with a group of vipers such as these, they used it and ran with it. Chances are she was kidding. She looked to me like she was joking around, not nuts. Anyway, the point to all of this is that there are good people out there who loose jobs based upon abuse such as this. Donald Trump's "eyes and ears" were there and none had any bad stuff to say about StaceyJ. By firing her, all he did was enable a wench hunt and their set-up. Same with Pamela! He fired what appeared to be good people based on "crap" and this mentality is ALL OVER corporate America. When will people WAKE UP and see this for what it is? ABUSE! Yes, even Donald Trump is incapable of comprehending this. Oh well, all of us have flaws. Unfortunately, his is allowing workplace abuse to continue and probably exists in his own offices as well. Very, very sad indeed! Otherwise, the show is great and look forward to a 3rd season of it.
  • ericsaxon2528 March 2012
    I've only watched 3 or 4 episodes. Here's what I've learned: 1. If you used to be a Miss Universe, you won't be fired because Donald Trump can't fire his actual employees on TV.

2. If you won't drop your sponsors like Michael Andretti to promote one of the Trump friendly companies you will be fired. You see Michael Andretti was fired for not putting his name on the Cadillac brand for $20,000 for his charity and thus he didn't loose his endorsements with whoever he is currently endorsing. But if you refuse to whore yourself out for Trump so that he can get millions instead of you, You're Fired.

What a joke of a show.
  • loveumair00719 August 2012
    well everything was fine till season 5 but suddenly everything changes and season 6 is not as good as it was before. season 1 to 5 shows executive theme but suddenly the theme changes to something i would never want to watch. this season is the least anyone want to watch. the season 6 very discriminating and advantage to certain people. then Mr Donald trump come up with her daughter its like a family show in which he just want to make her family more popular. come on people what is this, a season or family play.all the policy are changed in Season 6 and it was not good.otherwise i learn a lot till season 5 and i was hoping to see all the seasons
  • I was at my friends house watching this, and it was the worst show I have seen in a long time. Uneventful, and lacking of any drama, I could easily slept through this. After I watched a couple of episodes I demanded my money back, which is crazy since I didn't spend any money to watch it. I wouldn't wish this on my enemy. I give this a 2, just for the fact that it gave Conan some material to make fun of Trump with. If your idea of a good time is to watch people act like they are the center of the universe, then this is for you. Otherwise this is a complete waste of time, not to mention money. Personally I would rather have a colon exam then watch this show again.
  • The interesting aspect of "The Apprentice" is it demonstrates that the traditional job interview and resume do not necessarily predict teamwork skills, task dedication, and job performance. And they certainly don't reveal any hidden agendas. In other words, a good indicator of potential may be to see a job applicant in action which is the point of "The Apprentice". People vying for a corporate position may hand over a sugar-coated resume and put on their best personality attire for the interview, but these are not necessarily the best indicator of strengths, weaknesses, and performance.

Briefly, "The Apprentice" involves 16 job candidates competing for the ultimate career opportunity: a position in real estate magnate Donald Trump's investment company. "The Apprentice" refers to the winner who will win a salaried position, learn the art of high stakes deal-making from the master himself, and, presumably, gain prime corporate connections. The position is a dream-come-true for those wanting to make more money than the GNP of some foreign countries. To entice the candidates, Trump shows off his private jet, his private luxury apartments replete with statues and artwork, his limos, his connections to celebrities, and other aspects of the life of a billionaire magnate.

The road to success is not easy. The group is divided into two teams that compete against each other. Each has a corporate-sounding name, such as Versacorps and Protégé Corporation. The teams are assigned tasks that entail an entrepreneurial venture such as creating advertising, selling merchandise, or negotiating. Teams select a project manager who provides the leadership and organizational skills to complete the task. If they win, the manager receives a lot of credit, particularly in the eyes of the final arbiter. If they lose, the manager may also become the scape-goat. Some of the tasks are monumentally difficult with only a day or two to complete. Tasks may involve creating a TV commercial, or print ad. Others may involve selling at a retail outlet or on the street.

The tasks bring out the best and worst in the participants. They often show immediately who is the most reliable, who is the most trustworthy, and who is hard working. And the tasks also expose who is not a good team player, who is inefficient, and who seems only out for themselves. The tasks invariably reveal in unexpected ways the strengths and weaknesses of the participants and in particular the project manager. How well the manager communicates with the team, delegates work, organizes time, and sets specific goals will largely determine the outcome, but it does not necessarily predict the winner.

The single-most telling aspect of someone's potential is when he or she is assigned as a project manager. Their real abilities as opposed to their self-propagated abilities immediately show through the veneer that cannot be hidden by a $100 silk tie or a beautiful makeover. Leadership qualities and/or weaknesses often become agonizingly obvious after only a few minutes. Those promoting themselves as top-notch leaders are not always as strong when put into a real-life leadership situation. It is always easier to "toot your own horn" than to actually engage in leadership. Project managers, even those on the winning teams, often do not formulate a cohesive strategy. They often believe that by diving off the deep end to complete the task at the first minute rather than taking a little time to organize and discuss how the task will be completed is more efficient. More often than not, members of an ill-strategized team are running around like headless chickens figuring it out as they go along, and in the long run they end up wasting far more time.

The winning team gets a taste of the high life, such as eating dinner at an exclusive restaurant, flying in a private jet, and/or meeting a celebrity. The losing team comes to the dreaded board room where Trump hears the lame excuses of the members and knocks off one or more of the contestants like pieces off a chess board with the now infamous "You're fired". Often, the project manager is held partially responsible for the team's loss, and may be the target of Trump's accusatory rhetoric. Every week, at least one person becomes a casualty from the losing team.

My least-favorite aspect of "The Apprentice" is the board room. While the tasks themselves bring out the strengths and weaknesses in the candidates, the board room often brings out the worst. Unfortunately, the rules of the game insist there is one winning team and one losing team, even if the competition was close. Members of the losing team start accusing each other, often ruthlessly, about who was at fault. And sometimes more than one person gets fired. I seldom see an under-performing candidate take responsibility for their actions in the board room. Kristi Frank and Kwame Jackson were possibly the only candidates who took full responsibility for her team's losses and received no recognition for this selfless act. For me, Kristi Frank and Kwame Jackson had the most integrity of all the candidates. However, Trump saw Kristi as weak and fired her, claiming she wasn't standing up for herself, which may mean he values ego more than integrity. No one should sacrifice their integrity for this. Kristi Frank may not have become the apprentice but she can live with herself knowing she did not blame others unjustly. Isn't that worth as much as "winning"?

The strength of "The Apprentice" is also its weakness. Because team performance is evaluated strictly by winners and losers, other evaluation opportunities are overlooked. Barring huge gaps between the winning and losing teams, sometimes a losing team exemplifies a high standard of teamwork and efficiency. I have seen losing teams sometimes appearing better organized than the winning team. We Americans are so often obsessed with winning and losing that we often overlook excellence.
  • healer-24 September 2016
    i just want to make some observations about this show. I never watched Celebrity Apprentice, as I was otherwise occupied, but did see some of the first 5 or 6 seasons. It started out as unique and diverting, and seemed like a good concept for reality TV.

The quality seemed to decline maybe by season 4 or 5, because there was more focus on the competing teams and individuals talking about the experience while it was going on. I was wondering, "Why are you busy talking and wringing your hands when you have only a few hours to build a skyscraper (slight exaggeration, but not by much.) So it was becoming everything I hated about The Survivor or shows about people stranded on an island. They sit around as if in an encounter group when they should be out chasing down wild animals and gathering food. The focus was on "feelings," and that seemed to be the direction of The Apprentice.

The selection of the winners became increasingly ridiculous. They'd "fire" the best candidate and justify the decision in a way that didn't make sense. By this time I found it easy to let go and stop tuning in. All the encounter group style backbiting was wearing me out.

Still, I give my entire viewing experience an "7" because it was diverting enough. It wasn't Law & Order, but it kept me watching for the first few seasons.
  • We felt Bradford was showing strength and not a weakness. We were disappointed that he was fired. Even though he should not have included himself, we felt that he was the strongest person and that by including himself, he would have had the respect of his team. Since all the rest of his team are female, this would have been an advantage for him. I have not in the past been interested in reality shows. My husband finally got me interested in this show. I was eager for the new season. Unfortunately, after the firing of Bradford, I am debating about watching the rest of the season. Mr Trump saw what he did as a weakness, but if asked, I will bet that most viewers will agree that he was showing strength.
  • "The Apprentice" is Survivor in the city. There are so many comparisons between them, but hey, the formula works and Mark Burnett is extremely talented. Like Survivor, you have contestants you root for (Troy) and ones that are meant to be the villians (Omarosa and Sam. But not only is it extremely entertaining, you learn about the business world (What to say, what not to say)

A very entertaining show. NBC FINALLY gets it right when it comes to Reality Television.
  • I lost all respect for Randal........last night! If he led in such a "caring" way....why did he strip Rebecca of her opportunity?! It's not like the Money was coming out of his pocket! Who said he could still not be "THE Apprentice". Donald said nothing about 2 Apprentices...he only asked Randal, "If you were in my position, would you hire Rebecca?" How greedy, self centered, arrogant, can you really be? I am totally blown away...Donald said, "I can be easily convinced to hire Rebecca." And what word come out of Randla's mouth, "This ain't the apprent I...." What was that? I am outraged! In about the third week, I knew Randal would win and totally thought he was a great leader and deserved to win....but for him to turn in the end like that was unprofessional! If the shoes were on the opposite feet....what would Rebecca have said. I think we ALL know the answer....she would have told Donald, "Absoultely, I feel like you should hire Randal."
  • As a college student who will be graduating soon, I have found all of The Apprentice shows beneficial. Yes, one is like the other. It's described as a Job Interview. People are missing the point when they fixate on 1 single person.

I watch it to see what mistakes the person makes in that task, and WHY they were fired. Erin trying to charm her way out of being fired, was totally off the mark. One thing which I've learned in school, is to know your audience or market. What part of Trump looks like he'd fall for that? I've also learned from watching that I would not want Trump as an employer. Still a good teaching aid though.
  • When this show first came out, it was based on a European show, like most reality shows did back then. Back then, this and survivor and American Idol dominated the decade and Trump's show made household names out of Omorosa as well as others into pop culture. His catchphrase, You're Fired, became a trademark of early bush jr culture, and that rang true with him firing his staff members one by one as he entered his first and maybe last term in presidency come 2020.
  • Detest having Trump as the POTUS, but the show while he was on it was entertaining, his hubris and "colorful" personality played off well in that show. While not a die-hard fan, I used to enjoy watching the show in general whenever I'd catch an episode or so online. So when I heard that a new season was being broadcast, decided to check it on NBC. And boyyyy, it was a snoozer. First off, it's LA, not NY. Second, AS's mumbling monotone and blank personality is painful to watch. Also, it seems to me that he's striving hard to emulate Trump's style, and that in itself is distracting. Perhaps NBC and Mark Burnett could craft a new show on incoming candidates applying to become interns for Trump, 'cause this one, to put it very simply, couldn't be more mediocre and boring.
    I must confess, the whole wave of "reality" shows has left me cold. The first year I watched a bit of "Survivor", but for the most part I find them boring.

"Apprentice" is the one I find most boring. This is the reality show for business nerds. My wife loves it, she tapes every episode and watches it at her leisure. She is a banker, a financial nerd, the kind of viewer this reality show is made for. I suppose she enjoys seeing a group of ambitious young business people try to beat each other in a business enterprise.

Let me recount the reasons I detest "Apprentice." First off, I am not at all attracted to Donald Trump and his kind of approach to business. I don't like to watch him speak, it always looks like an invisible person is pinching his lips together. But the main reason is, I am retired. I was in all that type of business stuff. Now that I am out of it, I want to forget about it, not remember it every week.

Besides, Donald Trump has a terrible golf swing. I saw him last week on TV, playing in a televised amateur event. You would think that anyone who claims to be so good in business would be smart enough to develop a good golf swing. I have no admiration at all for Trump.