User Reviews (205)

• I happened to catch the second half on HBO one night. I saw the entire movie a few nights later. I could easily watch it through again -- I was really drawn into the movie. I had to look it up on IMDb just because I was thinking about it so much.

There's a lot of negative reviews here, much more than the movie deserves. Movies are like people -- some you despise, many leave you indifferent, and some just really *click*. My roommate came back from "Saw III" hyper and proclaiming it the "BEST movie EVER!!!" -- I can guarantee you he wouldn't care for this. "Prime" also doesn't have any of the typical emotional manipulations found in your average rom-com. It makes do with much subtler if still dramatic material. For example: the meeting between Rafi and David is low-key, slightly awkward, nothing like, say, the Ferris wheel scene in "The Notebook". Ryan Gosling threatening suicide to get a date is certainly entertaining, but it also leaves me slightly detached, too aware this is a story for my viewing pleasure.

"Prime" is the anti-"Grease". There's nothing STYLIZED about it; no fairy-tale ending. If you can do with such accoutrements you'll be sucked in, especially if you can relate to the very upper-middle-class New York viewpoint that permeates it. Another reviewer was quite insightful in comparing it to "Annie Hall".

As for the relentless disparagement of Bryan Greenberg in the male lead: you've got to be kidding me!!!! He doesn't play the role the way, say, a young Al Pacino would play it. His persona is understated, relaxed almost to the point of passivity, slightly unsure, sarcastic and naive and vulnerable all at once. Completely believable as a 23-year-old who would appeal to and be attracted to a 37-yr-old divorcée. A more typical male lead his age wouldn't be dating Uma Thurman, he'd be charming Natalie Portman or Jessica Alba. Take the scene where he's trying to connect with the stoic doorman -- I totally cracked up and at the same time couldn't help but admire how true-to-life it felt. Everything about that scene bespoke an upper-middle-class 20-something living with his grandparents and lacking direction.

Not to mention that the intimacy between Rafi and David felt so natural that I felt convinced that Uma and Bryan had something off-screen during filming. The way they looked at each other, shared each other's space... the lust didn't seem acted, I'll put it that way.

To Ben Younger: despite all the people out there who don't get it, there are some of us who do. You really did an amazing job, and I doubt I'll ever forget "Bubbe" knocking herself with that frying pan... Lol.
  • Prime stars Deer Hunter actress Meryl Streep and Pulp Fiction actress Uma Thurman. It was written and directed by Boiler Room writer/director Ben Younger. I thought this movie was really good. The acting by Streep and Thurman was incredible. And the story was genius with an unexpected ending.

I'm sure you know the typical rom-com. Two people meet, have a great time together, something gets in the way, they break up, they get back together, and they get married and have lots of sex and babies and everything is just wonderful. Well this is different. Halfway through you are just positively convinced that this is how Prime is going to end. But it doesn't. That's all I'm going to say; see for yourself.

Meryl Streep was hilarious as the Jewish mother/shrink. I loved her. Besides the un-clichéd ending, she is the highlight of the movie.

Overall I thought this was a really good movie. It was one of the few movies where I didn't look at the clock to figure how much time there is left of the movie. It was entertaining and cliché-free. I really enjoyed it and I highly recommend it.
  • Midway through "Prime," there's a scene in which Uma Thurman's character, Rafi, comes to her boyfriend's (Bryan Greenberg) house for dinner with his family. His mom, played by Meryl Streep, as usual giving a performance better than the movie it's in, has up until very recently been Rafi's therapist. The women must now navigate very tricky terrain. A relationship that had been maternal in one way has now become maternal in a very different way. The therapist loves Rafi and thinks she's a wonderful person, but she also knows much about her that prospective mothers-in-law don't necessarily know about their sons' girlfriends, things that compound the problems raised by Rafi's not only being 14 years older than the son, but also decidedly NOT Jewish.

I wish more of "Prime" had been about this relationship, the one between Thurman and Streep. As it is, the movie feels like it has two separate halves that the young director/writer Ben Younger doesn't successfully bring together into a comprehensive whole. The rest of the film follows Rafi and her boyfriend as they try to build a relationship despite the age difference. Nothing about this half of the movie is new or fresh, and Younger never convinced me why I should care. I was too distracted by the fact that he had a wonderful actress like Streep in his film and didn't seem to know what to do with her.

"Prime" is far from a bad film, and given its indifferent reception when it was released in theatres, I actually expected it to be worse than it was. But it is a rather half-baked film, and not one you need to spend a lot of mental energy on, which in this case is a criticism, because it raises a lot of interesting ideas that it never explores.

Grade: B-
  • A great, great movie, especially when one considers the stinkers that usually litter the romantic comedy landscape.

This movie was smart, funny and most importantly, REAL. The cheese is held to a minimum and characters do and say things that real people say. No monologues that sound like they were cribbed from 'Chicken Soup for the Soul', just real people reacting to each other and their circumstances.

Meryl Streep is great in this (and this is coming from a straight, twenty-something male) and Uma Thurman and Brian Greenberg have a real chemistry together. There are some real classic lines in this and it's a million times funnier and smarter than say, 'Monster in Law' or 'Just Like Heaven'.

As one who usually cringes my way through 9 out of 10 'chick flicks' this is the rare one out the ten that passes muster, and does so in a big way. I fear that this movie will be overshadowed by a bunch of other new releases when it comes out, but this one really deserves an audience.

Very underrated. One of the better films I've seen all year.
  • A woefully underrated and probably under-appreciated film, PRIME was one of the great surprises of 2005 for me. This smartly written comedy-drama stars the divine Meryl Streep as Dr. Lisa Metzger, a Jewish psychiatrist who one day must deal with the fact that one of her patients (Uma Thurman), a 37- year old divorcée, is dating her 23 year old son. This film didn't do great business at the box office and I have a feeling it might have been because the film is not filled with belly-laughs; however, it did have me smiling from start to finish. If for no other reason, the film is worth seeing for a beautifully understated performance by Master Thespian Streep. In the hands of an ordinary actress, the role of a Jewish mother and psychiatrist could have become very slapsticky and over the top but Streep keeps a tight rein on the character, never allowing her to become a stereotype. Streep never resorts to mugging or cheap theatrics but can say more with a furtive look or a turn of the head than most actresses can do with 20 pages of dialogue. Watch her in the scene where you see it dawning on Lisa that her patient is dating her son, an average actress could have made this seem so silly, but Streep so beautifully internalizes Lisa's shock and disbelief at what she learns, it's a delight to watch and should be required viewing for all acting students. Uma Thurman turns in what I believe is the best performance of her career, a full-bodied performance as an independent career woman on the outside whose interior struggles keep her a mess and hunky Bryan Greenburg shows definite leading man potential as son and lover David. This movie was a delightful surprise from first time writer-director Ben Younger who seems to have a promising grasp on the concept of romantic comedy. A quiet, well-acted, stylish, and sexy comedy that will keep a smile on your face.
  • don_agu20 November 2005
    Meryl
    Meryl Streep is the closest actress we've got to the great old stars of yesteryear. Bette Davis comes to mind. Meryl was trim and sexy a couple of years a ago in "Adaptation" now in "Prime" she's a matronly Jewish mom filled with sense and sensibility. She is also very funny and the main reason to see this Jewish American farce. When she's on, we're on. I believed and enjoyed her predicament. I only wish the script, dealing with the relationship of Uma Thurman and Bryan Greenberg had been a bit smarter and more engaging. I bought that the sex was great and that Uma was discovering herself through this younger lover but their intimacy is clumsy and their dialogue very slight. It is as if the two Kauffman's of "Adaptation" were at work here and that the scenes involving Meryl were written by one and the scenes with the lovers by the other. The former ones however makes the evening a very pleasant one.
    Perhaps this was touted as a romantic comedy with a psycho-analytical character thrown in, kind of like Analyse This and Analyse That. Put the characters in a crazy premise, and see how their relationship work out. Meryl Streep stars as Lisa, a psychologist to Uma Thurman's Rafi, who, unknowingly to both, is dating her son David.

Rafi's just been freshly divorced, and has only Lisa to talk to about her problems, and new life found when she met a new man in her life. She lies about David's age (increased it from 23 to 27), and wonders if a younger man would be suitable for her. You know it's situational comedy time when Lisa finds out about the truth, and discovers that she's caught between maternally protecting her son from a non-Jewish girl and frowning upon their relationship, and the conflict of interest between herself as a professional, and her client.

While the trailers seemed to suggest that most of the film will dwell on this aspect, and provide many laughable moments, this film is actually more serious that it looks in examining two major issues - that of religion, and the age gap between lovers.

David is an aspiring artist who's bumming around in life, until he met Rafi and moves in with her. While initially a novelty - Rafi enjoys and exhilarates about the sex and his manhood to Lisa (uh oh), though through cohabitation she starts to discover that David is still immature in his manners, and this gets personified in a hilarious scene where he prefers to spend more time on his Nintendo. Being 37, she feels her biological clock ticking, and wonders if she would be selfish to impose on David and have him grow up quickly. Given the age gap, it's also about sacrifices that one would make to bridge the difference, especially in expectations from the relationship (though in the beginning, it's all about the sex).

Like most romances, boy meets girl, boy woos girl, boy falls out of favour with girl. David has issues with telling his estranged mother about his relationship with Rafi, first because of their 14 year age gap, but more importantly, he knows that religion will play a major part in having her accepted as part of the family. Which makes you wonder about real life romances as well, the role of religion in a relationship, if it has the power to make, or break.

Uma Thurman is already 35, but still looks ravishing on screen, despite a few visible wrinkles. Newcomer (well, TV veteran) Bryan Greenberg holds his own as the young adult David Bloomberg, especially against veteran Meryl Streep.

Prime is a bittersweet tale, and I find it set in realism. Gone are the overplayed lovey-dovey moments, and I welcome the fact that with every relationship there are issues, and the major ones are the obstacles which determine if the relationship can survive, or not.
  • Though it's tagged as a romantic comedy, 'Prime' falls in between a comedy and a serious drama. What I liked about it is that it's a lot less sugar-coated than the usual romantic comedy flicks and more realistic (but that makes it predictable too). As a director Younger does an adequate job but he could have made the script tighter as 'Prime' does drag in the middle (only to pick up in the end). The dialogues are quite interesting and the therapy sessions are fun to watch but a few of the jokes fall flat. Meryl Streep does a good enough job (but she's not at her best and why are her eyes always reddish?) as Rafi's therapist and David's opinionated mother. Bryan Greenberg holds his own in a film with two established actresses. But, 'Prime' belongs to Uma Thurman all the way. She is simply terrific as the vulnerable Rafi and her transformation up till the end is effectively portrayed. On the whole, 'Prime' is a decent film with good performances. Not bad for a one-time watch.
  • This is a situational movie. People get into and out of interesting situations and you might be amused by it, feel romantic or feel bad, but this does not define the romantic comedy genre as I see it. You don't watch this movie to feel good about the romantic endeavors that litter your brain but are almost never real, nor do you watch it to laugh at what is going on.

I especially liked the fact that Uma Thruman didn't play the role of the stupid blonde that she got in some of her latest movies and also that the movie tried to capture reality more than fantastic situations that no one can relate to and that always end in happy ending.

Mix Jewishness, visits to the psychologist, divorcées in the fashion business having gay friends and dating younger guys and you get ... New York. :) Well, this is a good movie. A lot of the clichés one would expect in a New Yorkish movie are broken or not existent and the ones that are left are well blended into the plot.

There isn't much to say about the plot that wouldn't spoil it, so I will not say anything. Uma Thurman plays well, Merryl Streep is always a good actress, but in this movie manages not the be annoying as well, which I think is a step up for her. My wife asked me to keep it, so I guess if I enjoyed it and also did she, then it's a winner all around.
    Failing to see anything remotely comical about this movie, I found it just rattled out old stereotypes about age and race without confronting these issues in any kind of depth. What was particularly disappointing is to see again that Hollywood still fails to confront the fact that meaningful, long-term relationships exist between partners in which the woman is significantly older than the man (including a large number of theatrical pairings). Not only was the relationship portrayed utterly shallow, but there was no attempt whatsoever to introduce any discussion of how the various obstacles the couple faced might be overcome.

Ultimately, the movie left a string of unanswered 'whys'. Why, for instance, should it be taken for granted that fatherhood would spoil the life of a 24-year-old man, even when he has made the decision himself to go through with it? Why should children be a curse and a life-spoiler? (and is this the message we should be giving young men?) Why should maturity be portrayed as dull and pedestrian, and youth as frivolous and unable to cope with the weightier issues of life? Why did David have to be so pitifully immature when others his age are already in, and enjoying, responsible positions? Does a meaningful, long-term relationship necessarily have to preclude an individual from any kind of adventure of self- realization?

The film might have been improved had David and Rafi achieved any kind of a meaningful conversation, but since they failed to do this, being too preoccupied with bedtime gymnastics or quarreling, we were denied any access to the thought-processes behind the decisions they made, particularly the most important decisions, to go for a baby (on David's part), and to separate. Had the couple been shown debating their issues rationally - instead of simply breaking up every time they hit a problem - the film might have given a helpful insight into the nature of relationships.

Finally, although this film was obviously trying to set up some kind of a 'this is how things really are, folks' ending, I fail to see why relationship failure is any more realistic a conclusion than happily-ever-after. It's just another all-or-nothing, black-and-white Hollywood oversimplification. Surely a more interesting and unusual ending to such a movie would be to show how people somehow manage to muddle through together, not in dramatic epic fireworks, but in finding new and constructive ways to confront their problems. But Hollywood seems to abhor anything that is not either implausibly romantic or utterly hopeless.

In short, this was not a particularly insightful or helpful film.
    This film is abominable. Its primary message is that only people of the same background and the same age can have a long-term relationship. As for the reviews calling this film "hilarious," I have had more laughs at funerals. No wonder this film disappeared from the box office so quickly. The film concerns a 37-year-old woman (Thurman) who is getting over a divorce and going to a therapist (Streep). In a very uninteresting scene, she becomes involved with a 23-year old man (Greenberg) who happens to be the son of the therapist. Streep's facial contortions as she discovers this unpleasantness comprise the film's best moments, and indicate how one-dimensional this film is. To fill out the time, the film has countless shots of Thurman and Greenberg making out and taking their tops off. There are also some very uninteresting subplots involving idiotic friends. In addition, Greenberg's character is unrealistic. A childlike boy who spends his time watching television or playing video games, he has nonetheless managed to paint about a thousand masterpieces without a shred of art instruction, but for some reason his family (yes, his therapist mother included) disapprove of his artistic bent. As for the other characters, none possess any qualities that would set them apart from cardboard cutouts. I wish Hollywood films would mature to the level of European films, which are capable of handling relationships of people from different ages and backgrounds in an adult manner. I regret having wasted my time seeing this film.
  • I was initially reluctant to watch this film but my girlfriend wanted to check it out. After seeing it I must admit that the film did surpass my expectations - primarily since I felt that it was not really a "chick-flick" per se. The film tends to center around the guy 100% of the time. Call it a "guy-flick" from a woman's perspective. While I'm not at all a Meryl Streep fan, I felt that she carried the movie for the time that she was on the screen. Uma Thurman can't help but be the stunningly beautiful Uma Thurman that she always is. Without spoiling anything, I think that the ending was perfectly real compared to most romantic comedies that have been released in the past. This film was one of the more pleasant surprises for me this year. At the very least it will make for a great DVD rental if you're a guy who is as reluctant to see it as I was originally.
  • bobbyparsons25 May 2006
    Prime is the worst movie I've seen in the last year. When I first heard of this movie I couldn't wait to rent it because the previews made it sound hilarious. I was enjoying it for the first 20 minutes, and then I was put to sleep. This is a comedy, and I didn't laugh a single time. I was also put off by all of the flat religious jokes. The last 30 minutes is a jumbled up mess. It's like it didn't know how to end so it just kept going, and going, and going. If I had the choice of either digging a ditch, or watching prime I'd dig a ditch. The lead actor is very stale. At times you want to strangle him because he's so bad of an actor. I read a previous reviewer state this felt like a Woody Allen movie. I agree, and it's the worst I've seen.
    Caught this on PPV, and was bored out of my skull from the first 10 minutes! I suppose Meryl Streep and Uma Thurman were trying to "pay it forward" by helping a budding film maker. But calling Ben Younger a film maker is like calling Dick Cheney a crack shot!

Where do I begin? The cat is let out of the bag WAY too soon. The paintings are too expertly done. Dave says what Pie Guy does isn't funny, but they stay buds. Dave ditches his girl hoping to score with Rafi. Rafi's gay friends reek of ugly stereotypes. Dave throws a fit because Rafi expects him to act like a grown-up. Dave is over Rafi the second he hits the dance floor. Rafi gets cheesed when she learns Dave is dating. Pie Guy finally gets his, but we don't see him get his. Just as Dave decides to get serious, Rafi dumps him.

Bryan Greenberg: do humanity a favor and go back to your day job! I SO wanted Uma to go into "Kill Bill" mode, and shred this no-talent twit to ribbons!

About the whole "stick with your own kind" thing: maybe 50 years ago, but nobody cares today, certainly not your therapist. Lisa is not only a bigot of the worst sort (Dave bristled at taking his black girlfriend home, knowing that Mother would not approve), but she's totally unprofessional.

If Younger can get a budget and A-list cast for this "comedy," then there's hope for those with actual talent!
  • This movie was the opener for the San Diego Film Festival. It was amazing. I thought it was just going to be another "let's find out about ourselves" romantic drama, but it was engrossing from the start. It's funny throughout, without resorting to slapstick (not that there's anything wrong with that, just that slapstick tends to be overused). The characters are realistic, each reacting to the other in believable ways, but it ends up with mostly hilarious outcomes.

No spoilers here, but the rough idea is that an older, just-divorced woman (Uma Thurman) gets romantically involved with a much younger man (Bryan Greenberg). At the same time, she's working out her guilt over dating this younger guy with her therapist (Meryl Streep). But everyone's got a lot more depth than you'd expect and there's a lot more going on than just this surface activity. I think what I liked most about this premise is that it's complex but not contrived. And I liked how the story developed - it just flowed naturally from what each character seemed to want or need.

This is a well-put-together movie. The script (Ben Younger, also the director) is really tight - characters say things that you can believe, never more than they need to, and you always feel you got a bit more truth out of every scene. And just about every single line is perfect. I wouldn't say that about many movies. Younger said in comments afterwards that he worked on the script for 8 years. I believe it. It's really that good.

The actors were incredible. All the leads (Meryl Streep, Uma Thurman, Bryan Greenberg) were wonderful, as were the supporting roles. When I think of Meryl Streep, I think of heavy dramas, but here I saw just how funny she could be. I loved the exchanges between Streep and Thurman's characters, and between Thurman and Greenberg. You just feel like you're a part of what's going on and can't stop watching. Everyone seemed to be performing at their peak in this movie.

I can't recommend this one highly enough. I think most adults, particularly those 25+, will enjoy it. It's not really a chick-flick. It's sort of like Chasing Amy, L.A. Story or When Harry Met Sally in its honesty. It's funnier than just about any movie I can think of, regardless of genre (that includes movies like As Good as it Gets, The Ref, Blazing Saddles, O Brother Where Art Thou, Grosse Pointe Blank, Sixteen Candles), and provides powerful insights into relationships.

I hope Younger does more good work like this in the future, it's nice to see a movie that's worth the ticket price!
    The problem with Prime is that it starts as the story of one of its characters, ends up being the story of another character, but should have been the story of a third one. The premise is simple: Uma Thurman plays Rafi, a 37 year-old divorcée who starts dating a 23 year-old named Dave (Bryan Greenberg). When she talks to her therapist (Meryl Streep) about her new relationship she lies about the guy's age. A little bit later on the film, when Dave visits his family, we learn that he is the son of the Meryl Streep character.

The movie begins as the story of Rafi but half way through the film it is clear that Dave is the main character. However, the heart of this comedy is in the performance by Meryl Streep. Her character is in the worst situation since she's is the one who realizes that Rafi is dating her son. Advised by a colleague, she keeps treating Rafi without telling her anything. Because of this, she gets to listen to many details about his son that she never wanted to learn.

I think there are two movies here: The one about the relationship between a middle-aged woman and a young guy, and the one about a therapist listening to sexual details of her son. I'm not sure I liked the way these stories were mixed.

The movie is too long and there is a very annoying character: Dave's best friend. He gets all the so-called funny lines. What happens to him at the end is very predictable once we have seen his very first scene.

On the positive side, the three main performances are solid and believable. Some of the situations belong to a smarter movie, perhaps one made by Woody Allen. The influence of this filmmaker is so strong on the work of Prime's writer/director Ben Young that his movie closes in pretty much the same way that Annie Hall did.
    I thought this was possibly the most excruciatingly painful movie I had seen in a long time. It is really terrible and considering the quality of the cast that was surprising.

The characters are manipulative and tiring - the whole movie is so contrived that it actually makes you squirm. I didn't realise until the end when they show a 'this was our relationship' montage which scenes the director had even meant to be romantic.

It is not really funny and to be honest rather than being a movie about a relationship between an older woman and younger man, at times the movie seemed to be more about the difficulties of people of different faiths trying to work out a relationship.

If you think it is cute and endearing that a man has never cleaned his ears in his life then go and see this move - otherwise run for the hills!!!
  • jotix10012 November 2005
    In spite of most negative comments submitted to IMDb, Ben Younger's "Prime" is an interesting look at a mismatched pair in this story. It also raises ethical questions about when does a therapist has to decide what is best for a patient. Ben Younger whose film debut was "The Boiler Room", has a keen eye for the situation he is presenting in this film that seems to be perceived as a "chick flick", but that otherwise is a funny take on how love can make a person blind to reality.

Rafi, the lovely woman at the center of the action, has gone through a painful divorce. Is she ready for another deception? No, she is much stronger now, and with the help of Lisa, her therapist, she will know better how to deal with anyone that might try to play with her feelings.

Enter David, the young hunk of a guy, who likes what he sees when he meets Rafi, casually, one night while waiting to go in to see a film at Cinema Village. Indeed, Rafi is all what any young man could wish for. Not only is she gorgeous, but as it turns out, she is a bit older. But does that matter at all? No way!

Lisa is Rafi's therapist. In fact, she is a bit surprised to find that Rafi has fallen for a younger man. She advises her to take a chance and see where it goes, but be careful not to be hurt again. The only thing is she has no clue it's her own son who is involved in the romance.

The question of ethics come into play as Liza agonizes she is not doing the right thing with her patient, something that has to be worked with her own therapist. Not only that, but Lisa, as well as her Jewish family expects David to stay within his own when he picks the girl he will marry.

"Prime" is light and works well because of the work of the three principals. Uma Thurman is the ideal actress for playing Rafi. Not only is she a gorgeous woman, but she is an actress who never gives a false note in the character she is portraying. Meryl Streep is also at her best in playing the therapist. Bryan Greenberg plays David with ease and makes him comes alive.

In spite to have gone to see the film without any expectation, we found the film light and entertaining thanks to Ben Younger's direction.
  • "Prime" has a number of things going for it that many romantic comedies these days lack. It features a new permutation on the old mistaken-identity plot: 37-year-old divorcée Rafi (Uma Thurman) starts dating carefree 23-year-old David (Bryan Greenberg), neither of them realizing that he is the son of her therapist Lisa (Meryl Streep). There are moments of real wit, the love story is charming without being sentimentally cloying, and the film takes a pleasingly mature, realistic approach to romance.

However, "Prime" also makes many wrong turns along the way. It's never sure how deeply it wants to explore the serious issues raised by its plot—age differences in relationships, inter-religious dating (David is Jewish), and the ethics of Lisa continuing to be Rafi's therapist. Sometimes, it treats these themes with seriocomic intelligence. At other times, it ignores them in favor of sitcom humor involving David's jerky best friend or Rafi's gay co-workers.

"Prime" eventually becomes David's story, focusing on how dating Rafi helps him mature. But this often seems like the wrong choice. Cheerful David is the least conflicted of the three main characters, and Greenberg, while a competent actor, doesn't have Thurman- or Streep- level charisma. Thus, even though this clearly wasn't the intent, many David-centered scenes feel like padding. The best parts of the movie are the scenes between the two actresses: Streep's awkward, pained reactions as Thurman glowingly describes her new boyfriend are priceless.
  • Ever see a movie that takes one comic premise that would have been funny in a 30 minute sitcom and attempts to stretch it into a feature film? Sound like most of the Saturday Night Live movie attempts? Well, here is another. If this had been Will and Grace with all the energy the cast puts into the 22 minute show, the surprise triangle could have been funny.

Instead, the movie stretches the 22 minutes into an unendurable movie that goes nowhere you cannot predict from the previews. And to make matters worse, no energy is provided to intersperse the 22 minutes other than the obnoxious sidekick friend who gets his rocks off by smashing pies into the face of women that turn him down for sex on the first date.

Just great, if the above loser is the main man's best friend, how can you like a guy who plays escape driver to his buddy's hate crime on women? Oh, he just stands by ambiguously uninvolved? Well, how about his wonderful speech on the difference between hanging out and dating...they haven't watched each other pee, as he tries to dodge the date he is on to hit on Uma who apparently finds him cute for so obviously dogging his date.

So what's left? Oy vey! Mama yiddish psychologist gets to mug and make faces at having to listen to Uma describe in detail her sexual exploits with her son. How uncomfortable and how funny? You can only take so much of her mugging before you've seen it all and yet they replay the same scene in greater detail just a few minutes later.

Look folks, I never walk out on movies and on this one I did. Otherwise, I'd still be asleep in the theater.
  • AngelHonesty15 December 2019
    The only reason why this film gets a 5 and not a 1 is because Meryl Streep is an amazing actress; she is the only good actor on this film. The story its self is fun and humorous; ultimately a coming of age story, but the acting is terrible! I expected more from Uma Thurman, but was disappointed. The ending is even more terrible, leaving you with an incomplete feeling of wanting more. I would only recommend the film if you are a fan of the actors themselves and not because you want to watch a good movie.
  • saltwtr114 May 2011
    This movie supposed to be a "romantic comedy" but there is no comedy in the entire movie. The acting is terrible and the plot is predictable and boring. It is another one of those "Jewish family" movies that are so predictable.

I found a few scenes offensive as there are several "jabs" at those of the Christian faith. If the story was about a protestant family and the "jabs" had been about those of the Jewish faith they would be termed anti-semitic.

I rented this movie because of the cast, but Meryl Streep and Uma Thurman showed their age and probably gave one of their worst, if not the worst performances, of their career. Greenberg is no better, playing the part of a young immature male that thinks nothing of "boinking" any female he can get into his bed.

Don't waste your time with this one.
  • billion_mucks2 November 2007
    Don't trust this film. Or way better, trust it. It promises to be a mediocre comedy, without substance (And so I've realized) somewhat intolerant. The fact that Meryl Streep is in the cast nothing much improves; the movie is sour, repeats its formula over and over again, and in no way is funny. Two lines maybe will force you a smirk. The word for this film is "Mediocre". Another shallow attempt from Hollywood's romantic comedies.

This film is asking to get a ground to stay on; a home. When seeing it, you will open the door of "Mediocre Comedies attempt" straight on to this movie.
    This was easily one of the most pointless movies I've seen recently. Basically, two characters fall in love and then whine a lot. Some important topics that people in love must handle come up, including a wide age gap and differences in religion, but those issues are never really handled. They are simply used for conflict and then discarded.

Meryl Streep's character is utterly pointless. It seems like the only reason for including this character in the movie is to create trailers that make this totally unfunny movie appear to be a comedy. It's not. I don't think there was a single point where I even was tempted to crack a smile.

The characterization was ham-fisted. Uma Thurman's character is described as being wonderful, but there is never anything to show why. The male lead is young, leading Thurman to believe that he can't provide her with what he needs, but he is never shown as being undependable. The random stabs at demonstrating these points are so old and tired that it's amazing they'd get written into yet another film - he wants to play Nintendo when she wants to have sex (of course, she presumably bought him the Nintendo, even after a friend warned her that could happen sometimes). He sleeps with someone else while "on a break." Do we really need to see these tired clichés warmed over yet again? All in all, this was a very "day in the life" film, with no message, no goal, no resolution, and worst of all, no fun.
  • I saw this movie last night with my boyfriend, expecting it to be a little silly but funny and charming, but oh was I wrong. From the very beginning, something seemed off-kilter...quiet dialogue, very little background noise, not much music. But worst of all, the script was terrible! Everything said was completely unnatural, and the plot hardly progressed at all. And the acting? Meryl Streep was okay, but everyone else (including Uma Thurman, who I usually like) was embarrassingly bad. I have never walked out of a movie before, but I could not sit through this one for more than an hour. Even if the movie suddenly turned spectacular, it would still probably be in my bottom 10.