User Reviews (61)

• More of a spin-off movie than it is a sequel to 2002 and 2004's Barbershop movies; Beauty Shop comes to us as the female rendition of the popular franchise. Beauty Shop gives us the return of Gina, played by Queen Latifah, from the second Barbershop movie. Gina has moved away from Chicago to Atlanta so her daughter can attend a prestigious music school. She has made a name for herself at a posh European-style salon owned by the famous hairstylist Jorge. After a scuffle with her boss, Gina decides to quit her job and achieve her dream of owning her own beauty shop. She brings with her, a few loyal customers along with another worker at the salon. With the help of her family and the electrician slash romantic interest who lives above the shop, Gina finds success with her beauty salon.

The cast of Beauty shop follows the same formula as the barbershop movies. There's the obvious ice cube parallel with Queen Latifah's Gina. The older and wiser stylist, the male form of Cedric the Entertainer's character, played by Alfre Woodard who quotes the wisdom of Maya Angelou to her customers. The token white worker is present with Alicia Silverstone, and the one opposite sex worker played by Eve in the barbershop has her counter part with Bryce Wilson's James. Also included in the film is everyone's favorite Huxtable, Keisha Knight Pullian, famous as Rudy Huxtable. And lastly, quite possibly my favorite part of the movie and funniest character in the movie, Kevin Bacon is hilarious as the egocentric Jorge. The cast works very well together and the fun they had while making the film shows in each scene.

While the cast is fun to watch, I still felt as though something in the film was missing. When watching Barbershop, that classic old town feel emits throughout the show. The characters are so fun to watch as we see their relationships with each other and their own personalities work and clash with each other. While watching Beauty shop, while the characters were fun to watch interact with each other, that feeling just isn't the same when you walk out. I left feeling somewhat unfulfilled.

However, after more reflection on the matter, I realized, that the mood of a beauty shop is no the same as the mood of a barbershop. Maybe I didn't feel the same, because, well, I'm not a woman. As with any television spin off, a movie spin off should be able to hold its own ground. It doesn't need to be a complete reference to its predecessor. Think of Frasier. One of the things that made the show so great was the fact that it held its on ground separate from Cheers. The same goes with Beauty Shop. Yes, it relies on a few references and relations to the barbershop movies, but other than that, it completely holds its own. Which, as I thought about it, made it more enjoyable to know that I wasn't watching the same movie in female form.

Beauty Shop is a fun movie to watch with a very solid cast. Queen Latifah does a fine job as Gina and makes and, more or less, makes up for her involvement with last year's Taxi. If for anything else, see the movie for Kevin Bacon, you wont be disappointed. Beauty shop is pretty enjoyable and is the closest to a hair cut ill come to. I give it 3 stars.(out of 5)
  • VERY mild spoilers.

This movie has some great funny parts. The friends I was with kept saying "where's the plot?" Well, the plot was done in, well, chick-flick style - plenty of relationship touchy-feely stuff, and not much action. But that's what I expected.

For me the strength of the film was in the development and interaction of the characters. The writers spared no silly jokes in virtually any conversation - which is why I wanted to see the film in the first place.

Kevin Bacon as a fake German gay hair-salon owner was a bit disappointing; when we actually saw him try to work he didn't seem to know anything about the how to do hair - which contradicts the premise of his character. He could have been a competent hair-dresser and still been a total jerk.

Queen Latifa, as usual, was wonderful, witty, funny, delivered her lines perfectly, and simply knows how and when to do things just at the right moment. I'm sure the editors, director and others also deserve credit for her performance, but she shines in whatever she's in.

OK, I don't mean to make this out to be a great movie; it isn't. It's entertaining, touching and funny - but it's mostly just "there" and doesn't really move me beyond the moment. When it was over I was ready to go home.
  • moviewizguy23 December 2005
    This movie is a spin-off sequel to Barberer Shop 2: Back in Business. Gina is a hairstylist who opens up a beauty shop full of employees and customers more interested in speaking their minds than getting a cut.

Latifah does it again! Her charm lights up the screen. Gina's business starts off bad. Her own shop just looks bad. Luckily, her friends help her clean up the place and that's where she hires employees. She gets one of her white friends in the other shop to help her work there. Some of her black friends comes to help.

This is one of those comedies that doesn't uses f-words. The acting from Latifah, Woodard, Silverstone, and Bacon are great. Actually, I've never seen Bacon act like that in his entire film career. It's funny to see that. Bacon's character then gets jealous because Gina is doing much better than he has expected. The jokes are funny in this film.

If you just want to see a feel-good film, here it is!
  • Beauty Shop is a wholesome movie. It is a refreshing change from the negative portrayal of females seen in most movies today. Beauty Shop captures the true qualities of women striving, surviving, and winning against all odds. There wasn't a strong storyline, just a message of how women of all cultures deal with cheating husbands, cosmetic surgery, gender and racial profiling, insecurity, and male chauvinism. Still these women roll with the punches to enjoy each other and celebrate the beauty within.

The underlining theme of the movie is Maya Angeleo's poem Phenomenal Woman, which can be seen in Gina Norris (Queen Latifa), the struggling entrepreneur trying to secure a future for her daughter Vanessa (Paige Hurd) a young talented pianist. Particularly colorful characters are "Catfish Rita" (Cheryl Underwood), Ms. Josephine (Alfre Woodard), Lynn (Alicia Silverstone), Darnell (Keshia Knight Pulliam) and Jorge (Kevin Bacon). It is has lots of humor, guaranteed to make you smile.
  • Barbershop spin-off finds Latifah in Atlanta where she's recognized as the city's best hair stylist even though she works for a dandy, self-absorbed shop owner (Bacon). Ambitious and fed up with his disrespect, she quits her job then branches out and opens her own shop. Despite her undeniable talent, and the support of her devoted co-workers, she still has to learn how to endure the hardships of owning and operating her own business. The plot is a little too simple, and seems set up a bit too easily, but it's likable and pleasant with an appealing, first-rate cast. Bacon has an odd but amusing supporting role, and Latifah is an ideal leading woman. Laughs aren't always consistent but they are effective, and everyone seems to be enjoying themselves. **½
  • Boggman8 September 2005
    I am not black. I am not a woman. I have never had a weave or extensions, and I try to stay out of the ghetto as much as possible.

Yet I got a kick out of Beauty Shop for some reason???

The script itself is not all that strong, but the performances by QL and the rest of the ensemble cast are watchable and engaging.

Props to Kevin Bacon. His outrageous and flamboyant Jorge' is a nice departure from his other roles and he comes across as quite convincing in the part.

The movie only gets 3 stars from me because the storyline is quite conventional and played out. However, for the most part the jokes are funny and the actors deliver them nicely.... so tack on an extra star for that.

While it won't win any awards, "Beauty Shop" is pure mindless fun.
  • sfriend-316 March 2005
    While it is a spin-off of Barber Shop, it is not a sequel. Feel-good movie that keeps you laughing. Good comedy that actually has a plot and story line.

The advanced screening I saw was full of all types of people, and everyone was laughing at many points throughout the movie.

Kevin Bacon, Alica Silverstone, Andy McDowell were strong supporting actors playing unpredictable roles - great casting.

Some confusing parts about the relationship of the "mother-in-law and her daughter." Sometimes you think, who is she and how are they related again. But other than that... much enjoyment.
    "Beauty Shop" is harmless. Harmless in the sense that it tells a story, isn't necessarily offensive, and goes into the old reliable bag of tricks when it comes to entertaining.

If you, like me, have panned down the cast on IMDb.com, you'll see quite an eclectic bunch of actors. Alfre Woodard, Queen Latifah, Keven Bacon, Andie MacDowell, Alicia Silverstone, Mena Suvari, Dijmon Hansou, and Keisha Knight-Pulliam--it's as random as random can be...well, so is the script. And, as a result, so is the movie.

Kathy Griffin does an entire act on feeling nervous when white people start speaking black around her--it makes her feel awkward. Now imagine Andie MacDowell shaking her now developing booty and Alicia Silverstone freaking a black man on the dance floor. I think if you were look up the word "awkward" in the dictionary, these two plot points would appear as references to the emotion.

Queen Latifah can't seem to break that aura that you're watching a person playing themselves. Try as she might (or is capable of), she can't make us believe her chemistry with Hansou is realistic, and, though you like "Gina," she can't really make us commit to it, and I can't really say that you like her enough to care that she's having a hard time. All of the supporting characters are basically stereotypical--no one is spared, whether they be the the black girls in the shop, the wannabes who try and adjust, or the white characters who want to fit in that just can't seem to--ergo, we get laughs for situational comedy rather than actual funny writing. And the biggest revelation is that a character that everyone is convinced as gay turns out to be just a metro-sexual who has a prison record and likes white girls. Sorry--that's not enough to make me strive to look past the forest and see the trees.

I know we are being asked to not judge a book by its cover, but, Silverstone's phony "hick from the sticks" accent was waring on my nerves far too much to pick up that message...and, I still can't get past Andie MacDowell being a pivotal character in this film. Her acting prowess is debatable, and she seems to just show up whenever a Southern accent is required in a film. But, it was somewhat nice to see how a former "Cosby Kid" turned out after what must be a huge cross to bear if you're looking to carve out an acting career for yourself.
  • dmturner3 April 2005
    This amusing little movie appeals to a wide range with its comfortable humor, racy but utterly inoffensive conversation, and its roots in Disney-style family values (but for the real world). Queen Latifah does a relaxed and amiable job of tying the film together, and the ensemble cast is sweet and funny. I was impressed with Alicia Silverstone's turn as a geeky little white country girl--it's the first time she hasn't been playing off a well-to-do type and she carries it off. We had a nice relaxing time of it while we were watching, and half an hour later I've forgotten most of it--but that's just fine. Means I can pop it in the DVD player later on, enjoy it, and not remember a word.
  • kergillian30 March 2005
    This was Booty Shop more than Beauty Shop, and a spin off with a strong cast and a lot of potential was buried in silliness. The Barbarshop films were successful because they were feel good, fun and had a sense of victory for the hardworking father.

This time, we have the exact same sentiments in reverse - mother instead of father, all women stylists except the one guy, all black except the one white girl - except instead of having a white guy who is trying to be a boy from the hood from the outset, we have a girl who forgoes her personality in favour of becoming a black wannabe. So the message from that perspective is that in order to fit in and be accepted one must conform to be just like everyone else. Good for a few laughs, but loses something in the translation.

The standouts here are Kevin Bacon who is outstanding and hilarious as Jorge the not- quite-Austrian salon owner, and Djimon Hounsou, who is charming and catches you with the kindest face in film.

The rest of the cast are average, each actor and actress playing themselves and bringing nothing special to the table.

On the whole, this film is just a shadow of the Barbershop films, basically trying to emulate them frame by frame, except for one important aspect: this film has no plot. No story. it's just a bunch of scenes strung together by the overall premise of a beauty shop owner trying to make it in this crazy world. No story and no Cedric the entertainer and a ton of excessively vulgar booty humour equals a poor (wo)man's Barbershop. I'd save your tenner and wait for the DVD - or better yet, rent the Barbershop films. They're the better bet, as the originals usually are when compared with the clones. 5/10.
  • I have seen quite a few negative reviews for this movie. I loved it and most people who attended the screening loved it as well. It was a comedy, pure and simple. Yes, there was a plot and it was decent, but the main draw was the laughs. I realize that there are people who will say that it is stereotypical and shallow. But, on the other hand, it was extremely entertaining. Moreover, it was excellent seeing a strong black woman determined to see her dreams come true. It was fabulous to see a woman willing to scrape and sacrifice to give her child the very best in life. It was refreshing to see some reality- a real single mother doing what she had to do to make it and fulfilling her dreams in the process. I implore you to see the movie yourself. Judge for yourself. I thought it was excellent and look forward to seeing it again.
  • Queen Latifah reprises her role from Barbershop 2: Back in Business as sassy stylist Gina Norris, who has now moved down to Atlanta. When her annoying boss (Kevin Bacon) at the fancy salon where she works goes too far, Gina decides to set up her own business, bringing along the shampoo girl (Alicia Silverstone) and many of their clients. In her new beauty shop, women have a lot on their mind and they're not afraid to speak out about it.

So, the premise is pretty much just a female version of Barbershop. Barbershop appealed to everyone and it was fairly interesting to watch. Beauty Shop is the exact opposite and it's just not as interesting nor as funny to watch. The characters aren't as good and some are just bad stereotypes. The dialog is also pretty weak and the film just doesn't work sometimes.

In this type of film, if the characters aren't interesting then the film is dead. Luckily, Queen Latifah has a likable personality and she carries the film by herself. It doesn't make the film good but she did save it from being a complete disaster. She's not as good as Ice Cube but can still carry her own film.

The rest of the actors are only okay though they seem to be having a good time and this helps. Alicia Silverstone gives a decent performance as Lynn. Her really annoying accent takes away from the performance though. Andie MacDowell's role is pretty small, which is a good thing since her performance isn't very good. Kevin Bacon gives a funny performance as Jorge. Unfortunately, he isn't in the film very much. The rest of the actors aren't very memorable and they aren't worth mentioning. Billie Woodruff does a bad job of directing and he should seriously stick to directing music videos, if that. He just doesn't try anything new or interesting. He keeps the pace sluggish and he just follows a normal routine.

I didn't like the movie very much. I thought I would like it because I enjoyed Barbershop. However, Beauty Shop was dull and not very creative. The script was generic and weak. The characters were mostly just stereotypes and one dimensional. The main plot line just wasn't as engaging as Barbershop. Also, the topics they discussed in the shop, just weren't very interesting and they were more fluffy topics rather than important topics. In the end, Beauty Shop is a disappointment and a dud compared to Barbershop. Rating 4/10
  • rainstar8402 September 2005
    This movie was ridiculous, I found it rude, hurtful, and racist. Enough with movies putting down white people. I wasn't even born here and I still get put down in movies like this, thats' really unfair and hurtful, a slap in the face. The idea of the movie was fun, it seems like a fun, relaxing type movie, but then I saw that a lot of the movie was just comments toward how bad white people are, and this and that, and by the end I just wanted to hurl the DVD out the window. Come on, I deserve respect too. I can't believe I actually spent money to be trash talked. Totally not worth my money or my time. Total waste of like 2 hours of my life.
  • paulajust200328 March 2005
    This was certainly the right choice for me. I laughed my ass off. Yes, it wasn't as funny as the Barber Shop movies, but this was a shop all in it's own. Quite different from the male atmosphere. Kevin Bacon could not have been better. He really pulled this off. There was a white person in a predominately black atmosphere which was a copy of the Barber Shop. But believe me, they were two different extremes of white. The plot was lacking but I did laugh the whole way through. This is a movie for pure entertainment, not one to make you think about what is coming next. I would recommend this one for anyone who wants to laugh. Oh, and brace yourself for the vendor who comes to the shop with her fish!!! Excellent!
    What a TERRIBLE film. The story, if you can call it a story, lasts 1 hour, 42 minutes long. Queen Latifa plays a single mother named Gina sharing a home with a friend who also seems to be a single mother. Money is incredibly tight since their move from Chicago, IL to Atlanta, GA, despite the fact that Gina drives a spanking new Ford Expedition and sends her daughter to a private, preppy music and art school. Latifa quits her job working for an Austrian named Jorge, played by Kevin Bacon, and gets a loan to purchase her own beauty shop in the "ghetto". From here the story descends into a massive blob of confused racial generalities and terrible one-liners - mostly comprised of comments regarding the only white stylist in Gina's saloon, Lynn (Alicia Silverstone).

At one point, Beauty Shop ceased to be funny... and that point was the opening credits - when the lights in the theater went down, and the little dancing popcorn man finished his dance with the hotdog guy in a desperate attempt to get you to buy something from the concession stand. Beauty Shop was just about as effective as the hotdog.

This movie was a complete waste of time. Not worth the 8 bucks to see it at a decent theater, not even worth the measely 2 dollars to see it at a cheap theater. Heck, if somebody had paid for me to see this film, I'd demand compensation for losing over an hour of my life to this terrible film.
  • I really enjoyed this movie! And these words come from a complete pessimist of black films. I've never truly been fond of sequels but on this rare occasion Beauty Shop is arguably better than Barbershop 2.

The movies have several comparisons such as the ensemble effort and the moral values. Queen trades in Cedric the Entertainer, who played the older, wise yet hilarious barber for a female counterpart in Alfre Woodard. The white barber who couldn't catch a break is replaced by the white hairstylist with the same dilemma. Both films involve the financial hardships of trying to run a business while not being ran out of business. Unlike the original Barbershop films, Beauty Shop lacks the intensity but more than makes up for it with comedy.

And…the movie was funny! How could it fail? The support cast included comedians (or scene stealers) Sherri Shephard, Sheryl Underwood, Adele Givens, Ms. Laura and L'il JJ. But no one could compare with Kevin Bacon's performance as the Scandinavian stylist extraordinaire Jorge. At 50, he still looks like a man in his 30's. And while we're talking about the supporting cast, I can't forget to tell you about Keshia "L'il Rudy" Knight Pulliam. She's grown into a beautiful young woman and she's still a decent little actress. I just hope she doesn't go the dismal way of child stars and end up in the center on Hollywood Squares.

Who knew that when we saw Queen Latifah pushing those chess pieces off that large board in the Ladies First video that one day she would stand out as a gifted actress, singer and comedian. I guess she showed us…
  • Beauty Shop You know, the more I think about it, the more I like Queen Latifah. For the overall uselessness of the movie Bringin' Down da House, that one scene where she transforms into a rich, upper class type public speaker just to show Steve Martin's character that she CAN do it, she just chooses NOT to, definitely shows a side of "black culture" that is much more relatable to-->the fact that (a lot/most/some?) choose that because that's how they WANT to identify themselves, and it's not meant to be confrontational at heart. It's like choosing to be a goth, or a punk, or all of those subcultures almost, conformingly anticonformist, grouping yourself in a similar minded alternative.

So now we have this movie, where Queen Latifa plays Gina, a stylist whiz who feels under-appreciated at her job so opens her own shop, and there she shocks and appalls the neighborhood by bringing in white clientele and white employees and letting them all enjoy the scenery. It's actually one of the strongest movies dealing with integration I think I've seen, basically because when everyone gives trouble to the the white girl, and the white girl's getting upset and disturbed by it, Gina just has to say to her, "Hey, think how I felt in a white shop." Indeed.

Plus, when dealing with those pesky issues of representation that seems to hover over every mediated creation of "black characters", this one is pretty broad, from the black women who refuse to work with the white woman and leave, to the young "white-speaking" black girl who keeps on getting hit on by the jive-talking twelve-year-old, to the African culture versed man above them who, also, happens to know a thing or two about playing good piano.

And of course it would be. From the makers of Barbershop, it has that same more critical look at black culture that loves it, and yet knows what it really is and where people on "both" sides take it too seriously. Barbershop was actually quite a wonderful film, mostly because of it's political incorrectness, but also because of the pale-skinned barber who points out that being black is what he wants, not what he has to be born into, and Cedric the Entertainer doing his "Martin Luther King Jr. was a HO!" bit was just too much.

Now if only this film didn't have ... well... Kevin Bacon. I thought that having Kevin Bacon in it would make it amazing, but it really, really didn't. He's just too weird for a too lightly humored film. Instead, I'd like to point out that this movie has Andie McDowell in a fantastic role, so with that cast, it's got to have SOMETHING to it.

--PolarisDiB
  • raulfaust27 July 2011
    This film is frustrating. From the synopsis I thought it was going to be one of those films where people from a small neighborhood keep talking about other people's lives, which is an ugly and funny thing about almost all the societies. Instead of that, I saw a movie very poor in plot, that goes on and on and gets nowhere. Morealso, although it's labeled as "comedy", I don't remember having one single laugh. At best, a smile. It's really such a shame that an adorable actress like Latifah accepts doing this poorly written works, instead of going for the real funny ones. A deception for those who expect some laughs instead of a collection of clichés and repeated issues.
    Gina, an immensely talented beautician, is stuck in Jorge's shop. Her clients adore her, as she does wonders with their hair and their egos. A beauty shop is the social place where women go, not only to have their hair taken care of, but also is where a lot of drama happens when divas don't have their way.

Jorge, the phony man who owns the exclusive Atlanta salon, feels threatened by the talented Gina, who he sees as a threat; he ends up firing her. Gina doesn't take anything sitting down. She envisions having her own place and will not stop until she finds it. When she takes over a salon that has seen better days, she starts putting her input into what she wants the place to be. Some of her old customers follow her.

Not everything is easy for Gina. It appears that Jorge is behind the scenes trying to do anything to derail Gina's business. But never fear, Gina is up to the task and she is a formidable foe, so don't mess around with her.

This comedy, directed by Bille Woodruff, capitalizes on Queen Latifah's charismatic personality. She is sassy, she has common sense and if anyone can make a place like Gina's work, it's this huge talent that is the main reason for watching the movie. Kevin Bacon also has some hysterical moments as Jorge. He is a riot when he shakes his corn rows when he is in a snit. Alfre Woodard, Andie MacDowell, Mena Suvari, Djimon Hounsou, Alicia Silverstone, and Keisha Knight Pulliam, of the old "Bill Cosby Show" do their best to keep the pace of the comedy going.

Ultimately, this is Queen Latifah's show. Enjoy it!
    Bille Woodruff's vehicle starring Queen Latifah is the same Latifah movie vehicle you see with the typical stereotypes,but overall I liked it, I got to admit.

Gina is the hairstylist starting her own beauty shop, enter her racist and inept former boss, Jorge comes back to wreak havoc on Gina because he tried to steal her credit for her work.

There's a nice storyline with Gina and her young daughter whose taking music lessons to get to a special school was lovely.

Critics who panned this movie don't know anything I guess they're not expecting a multicultural audience to think about some of the ideas and realities in the movie. The world is racist, its still a white man's world. Gina has her shop destroyed because Jorge cant stand her success.

There's a white girl Lynn (Alicia Silverstone) who wants to be black, whats the harm in that?

I like rap music, anything wrong with that? No. It certainly it shows that I love some of things the black culture has shared with our very narrowminded society. Yes Lynn's character is dumb and ditzy to some but I took her as just being happy go lucky.

I thought Queen Latifah's acting was pretty good, always believable, even shes rich and all she still how to portray a ghetto character trying to make ends meat.

I really loved Andie MacDowell's character as Terri, a woman who opens up and joins the beauty shop as a regular customer. Mena Suvari steals the show though as overbearing rich slut of a client, Joanne who basically thinks the world is hers and everyone should obey her orders, if you don't you die.

Here's actually part of the give and take of the strong where snobby critics fail to mention. Since Joanne is a rich client obviously she can make or break Gina, knowing this she abuses Gina with insults and still expects her to service her.

This is like the whole master /slave thing that still apparent today or at another level the division between two classes, the rich and the poor, who still exploit their disadvantages.

Eventually Gina has to make a decision become the source of abuse for this rich white client or does she tell her to go to hell and pay the price.

I really loved Queen Latifah in this movie, I think a lot of these roles really shine a like as whats it like in the Urban City when you have many people seeing your poor and working hard to make a living basically beat you down and try to keep you there just because they can.

Someone said Kevin Bacon was great but I thought he was crap, he just played some prick of a person who like Joanne doesn't care who he hurts as long as they get what they want in the end.

I am glad he gets his punishment at the end

The audience I saw this with a good mix of every culture pretty much loved the movie and I liked it too.

Anyhow I give this movie a good thumbs up. 7 out of 10
  • Here we go again. This time around it is a gender switch spin off,or in other words another lame sequel to the successful "Barbershop" films where we have again another installment to a movie where we have black actors up on the screen making themselves look repulsively stupid,but this time around its "us" clowning and acting foolish in front of the "man". In this installment,Queen Latifah,who not only serves as the star but also the co-writer and executive producer of this film,moves her location from Chicago(where the first two "Barbershop" films were located)to Atlanta to set up and operated her own salon. Accompanying her is her daughter from a previous marriage where she is a divorcée trying to start her life over. But here is where the movie has its flaws,and I mean a lot of them,which for one there is no plot in this film better yet the lack some of the material missing from the screenplay as one of the benefactors,where as the story(or what story)involves some underhanded scheme to shutdown her business by her ex-boss,a Euro-trash,Euro-gay hairstylist played by Kevin Bacon,who basically is greatly miscast here(which is nothing more than a paycheck cashing role) but in turn is a "gay" character and where will you find a villainous characters with homosexual tendencies,and it is a first in this movie. And this wasn't the first time either,feel me?

The cultural/communal side of the film fuels the movie's entire masculine forebear is casting aside in favor of lame repetitive gags,racist intolerable humor,which to me wasn't funny in the least bit,and not to mention a love-interest between Queen Latifah and a miscast Djimon Hounsou(who is way better more dramatic roles than in comedies,since you can tell this was not his cup of tea). Also this film brings out more racial intolerance by promoting racial assimilation within its own coalition of ignorance bliss. Like another production by Queen Latifah,2003's "Bringing Down The House","Beauty Shop" ranks right up there with some of the WORST films ever made by African-Americans,and need I say more? Who remembers the films "The Cookout","Breakin All The Rules",and last year's fiasco of racial intolerance,"Soul Plane". As far as the rest of the cast in concern,it features Andie MacDowell as a repressed housewife who finds liberation within the bounds of the shop,while Alicia Silverstone sports one of the fakest Southern accents I ever heard(and to make a point you haven't heard from her since until now,and its has been 10 years since "Clueless",the last good film since was in,and it has been 8 years since her fling as an obese "Batgirl" in the dreaded installment to "Batman and Robin",does anyone remember that?)this side of Elly May Clampett and the other side of Daisy Duke,who not only develops some self-esteem,but embracing the joys of inner-racial harmony within the confines of the shop. The rest of them consists of Golden Brooks(of the UPN series,"Girlfriends"),Alfre Woodard,and half of the BET comic view elite which consists of Miss Laura and Sheryl Underwood.

I saw this movie with a packed house crowd at the nearby cinema one Saturday afternoon,and to me some of the scenes weren't funny....it was revolting and very distasteful where will see at the end of the movie where topics of conservation begin at the closing credits start rolling that is when you get a hint at what this movie could have been,or should have been about. Again,we have another movie in which we look at ourselves again in which we make ourselves look stupid in front of the man. I would like to see some positive movies come out featuring positive roles for African-Americans where we don't want to see nobody get killed off or start cussing all over the place during the first fifteen-twenty minutes of the movie.
  • Being an admirer of Queen Latifah, who I believe as a great talent, I really to like this film. But I'm afraid I can't recommend it.

First, it is clear the cast and crew think the script funnier than it is; that's important, because it means there are going to be editing mistakes - not glaring ones like mismatched shots in inter-cut, but mistakes in timing, when the editor thinks there's a audience laugh to be allowed for with the brief "take" of an actor's response to a line or slow-burn; but the laugh doesn't arrive, so the takes are just dead time, dragging the film down.

Which of course leads to the second problem , the film's pacing. It is very erratic. Some scenes have no build-up, some have too much and end up over-extended which all amounts to "slow"; there are actually 'slow comedy' techniques (Jack Benny was a master). But this is basically a sit-com without a laugh track, so it needs to move at a real clip; but it doesn't.

Finally there's manner in which Latifah is presented. The director clearly admires her acting as much as I do, but he keeps trying to emphasize it. Latifah understands that an actor only needs small gestures and expressions on film, since the camera enlarges everything; but the director here really tries to bring our attention to her performance so that she appears to be over-acting sometimes when that is not the case - actually, the camera lingers too long, there are too many close-ups and they are too close for the naturalistic performance Latifah is trying to accomplish.

That happens, to a lesser extent, with all the actors, all of whom are doing their best.

But it's a weak script to start with, and the director hasn't yet found a focus that elevates it, so the acting gets pretty lost along the way.

Watchable, but not much more.
  • What a great plot. Woohoo. Latifah gets fired by her wannabe-bad-boss from the beauty shop she was the bomb at, and then decides to open up her own beauty shop.

And she has to go through so much hassle. I mean, her husband died and she can't make ends meet. Also, she has to prove that she can DO it.

And then there's Alicia Sliverstone making a big scene about being white. This is 2005. Why do they make such a big deal about colors. In 1996 this movie might have been, erm, outrageous. Not.

And all the lines were so old. You know what they're gonna say before they've said it. And if you don't, you KNOW you've heard them before. Probably in another Latifah movie.

It's not worth it. I laughed when the cars parked outside her shop. That was it.
  • Well this one you will either love it or hate it. A lot of how anyone enjoys a film is based on what they are expecting to see. This is only the 2nd movie I have ever walked out of and got a refund in 30 years. Both times it was because I was expecting one thing and arrived to find something entirely different and distasteful to me personally. I would not have purchased the ticket if I had known it had non-stop foul language, foul jokes, young children making sexual innuendos to adults, women slang talking about sex both in the shop and on the radio to each other. For me I find that kind of humor distasteful and demeaning to the characters involved in it. I understand that people that enjoy that kind of humor will find this movie very entertaining
  • Well...I thought it would be at least a bit funny but unfortunately it was not. I have not seen such a terrible movie for a long time. Do not waste your time. The main idea of this movie is completely stupid plus no action at all - just boring talks. I do not know how it is possible to make this kind of movies. For whom? Actors play are also ghastly, I wanted to cry when they tried to make fun. So, never again! I should also mention that I even can not classify this movie. It is neither a comedy nor a drama. It is a terrible mix of bad actors and bad ideas. Maybe I just did not really get this movie than try it yourself but I am afraid this case you would regret about wasted time.