• Resident evil 4 is a masterpiece, it's easily one of most recognizable games in the series and for a good reason, the game is insanely fun and replayble, aged pretty well and it's almost on every platform possible.

This game not just horror games at the time but it literally ruined the franchise because of how amazing it was and the two games following it's formula were nowhere near as good as this, it took capcom more than a decade to figure out how to do it right again and re 7 though flawed, definitely was the best thing that came out ever since 4.

The only minor annoyance i have with this game is ashley, the girl you have to rescue... talk about one of the worst npc's ever, you won't forget her screaming (leon heeeelp) anytime soon after playing but technically speaking at least she's smart enough to get behind you while you're shooting so not a big issue and thankfully she's not around you for majority of the game.

It has charming characters (the game not taking itself too seriously) , amazing villains, great action (not as over the top as re 6) horrific atmosphere and of course the merchant makes this game among one of if not the best in the series and the amount of nostalgia that comes after this is just unbelievable.

10/10 one of the greatest games of all time.
  • There's one standard that I always use to judge the quality of a game: If my girlfriend actually encourages me to play so she can watch, I know it's good. Very few games have passed this test - the original Silent Hill, Blood Omen, Resident Evil 1 and 2, and now Resident Evil 4. Not only is it totally immerse to play, but it's even fun to watch.

I'll admit that when I first played the demo (for about five minutes) I was a little nervous: The new over-the-shoulder camera setup was a little "un-Resident Evil," and the crazed hillbillies weren't comfortably familiar, like the lumbering zombies in the previous games. And some of the new moves (like diving through windows) seemed cheesy and over-the-top. However, after hearing from so many places that the game was great, and seeing so many reviews that had to rely on principle or nitpicking to find a problem with the game, I forked over fifty bucks.

And all I can say is, daaaamn. The only problem I've found with this game is that it'll make all the previous Resident Evil games suffer by comparison. This is what I really wanted - and just about got - from all of them. Who hasn't watched Dawn of the Dead and wanted to run around blasting the undead with a hunting rifle? Well, here's your chance, and you can even watch their heads explode in glorious 3-D. Ever wanted to shoot a monster in the knees, then mow it with an automatic weapon while it's down? Step right up.

Yes, lots of changes have been made to the game. Some of them seem like natural outgrowths of one another: It would be too easy to pinpoint aim and kill slow-witted, slow-moving zombies, so the enemies here are a little sharper and quicker. The camera no longer obstructs your view of a scene, which was frustrating but also a familiar hallmark of the previous games. And there are some RPG elements added that make the whole thing more "game-like," like a merchant who sells weapons and gun upgrades, and who buys treasures you find around the game. Enemies drop money, ammo, or health items when they die; the new "yellow herb" increases your maximum health. But all of these work to make the game a little more open-ended and a little more engaging (it's so much fun seeing in numbers just how powerful your magnum is). One mini-game, the shooting gallery, is unbelievably addictive, but well worth it: As a reward for completing each set of cheesy wooden targets you get money and a collection of "bottle caps" - little action figure-like models of enemies and allies from the game, who play low-fi recordings of their character sounds. It's downright hilarious.

For all its changes, though, Resident Evil 4 still FEELS like a Resident Evil game. It contains elements obviously important from the ultra-slick movie franchise - like slow-motion fight scenes and a challenging laser-dodge sequence - and other fun, over-the-top action movie tropes (pressing the action button near a second-floor window causes you to dive through the window, roll, and get to your feet), but it also contains the Resident Evil trademarks. The monsters are all weird perversions of real creatures - from humans to insects - the environments are atmospheric and creepy. the ever-more-powerful weapons are too much fun to play with, the characters interact in melodramatic shouts and cheesy one-liners, and, most importantly, you get the feeling that the enemy plans to win by sheer numbers.

It took me exactly twenty hours to beat the game: at the end my kills tallied up at just over 1,000: this game is huge. My girlfriend asked near the end of one chapter, "Is this the end?" and I said, "No, there's still another disk left." The graphics are so lush and beautiful that at least once I actually stopped between slayings to admire the backgrounds. The water effects and superb and the fire effects even better (the scene even wavers with heat); the environment is beautifully textured and some new elements - like destructible barrels and boxes and the ability to hop over obtrusive railings or fences - add an unprecedented (for a RE game) level of interactivity. When a beast dies its blood flies out in all directions; if your decapitate an enemy with your shotgun the bony stump spews blood with graphic detail.

After finishing the game you get a harder difficulty setting, and two mini-games become available: Assignment Ada, in which you play as Ada Wong through the final portion of the game, and The Mercenaries, a timed endurance round with four super-cool unlockable characters. I can't wait to play through it again.

There's also one other thing that, for me, really made the game. At one point you are in a run-down chapel inside a demonic castle, and you see an elaborate chest inside a glass case. Inside the chest is a (holy) hand grenade. I laughed out loud.
  • I always loved the idea of the Resident Evil games, the settings, the story lines and the atmosphere, but the games were getting repetitive, and simply the control system was plain annoying, you never truly felt involved.

I knew Resident Evil 4 was going to be a change, but what a change, if there has ever been a comeback for a gaming series then this is it. I don't care about people saying, oh there are no zombies etc.. all i know is the enemies in this game are simply better, and a whole lot of fun to fight against, the control system is a revelation, making perfect use of the control pad in what is essentially an FPS. The enemies have amazing AI, wherever you can go, they can, you will feel like you're fighting them for real, their animations are astounding, shoot them in the leg, they react exactly how would expect them to. The weapons are so satisfying, you will get such a buzz from using them.

The graphics -- i've been upgrading my PC to super levels to play Half Life 2 etc.. graphics that will blow your face away, who would have thought the Gamecube could give a visual experience to rival anything on the PC.. these are the best console graphics ever, at times you feel like you're playing an FMV, i'm being serious. The art design of this game is something only the Japanese game makers could do, there is more visual invention than any movie.

i don't normally like scary games, but this game was just too fun to miss out on, there are moments when you will get your heart beating, for once there is a real feeling of survival horror, the concept of Resident Evil has finally been fulfilled.

my only complaint is maybe the game is too short, well 20 hrs isn't short just right for this type of game, and well it was just so addictive i couldn't put it down, so really it isn't a short game, but you're having such a great time it just flies by.. even still Capcom have added some bonus games, that are actually worth your time, and will add a few more hours to it all.. i'd say a healthy 30hrs is there.

anyway -- unmissable, simply amazing. the Gamecube has few titles, but the ones that shine, really take some beating.. and although it will be coming out on the PS2 at the end of this year, Res Evil 4, is yet another strong reason for getting a Cube. STRONGLY RECOMMENDED 9.7/10
  • Undernet0115 January 2005
    After thoroughly playing through Resident Evil 4, I still think that Resident Evil 4 is one of the best from of the Resident Evil series. It's nice to see Capcom taking a step away from the regular zombies which they regularly use.

You play as Leon S. Kennedy. You'll probably recognize the name from Resident Evil 2. Your assignment is to rescue the daughter of the President of the United States. After which, Leon travels to Spain to search for Ashley. The odds of success are strictly stacked against Leon.

You'll encounter many scenarios similar to the Resident Evil series, including the infamous "Avoid the Lasers" from Resident Evil the Movie. You'll have to get through several puzzles, dodging several obstacles and events within the cut scenes to avoid a gruesome death.

There's more to this game than just shooting enemies, there is a fantastic storyline to this game, but I wouldn't recommend it to younger audiences.
  • Let's start off saying RE4 is an AWESOME game! Really. one of the best games for game cube, or even of all time! When i got this game, i couldn't put it down! all the gore and guns!! it was so sweet. My favorite part of this game was of course the wonderful storyline and voice actors. it wasn't one of those stories where you just try to skip it (and believe me, i have some of those games), but this one really drew you into it. I really wanted to know everything they would say! speaking of saying, the voice actors were wonderful! i loved them! they were so dramatic and just..good! The puzzles in RE4 are very good and sometimes, a little tricky! The guns were just great. they had so many you get find, or even buy from the merchant). i loved this game, and you will too. no doubt. right now it's 40 bucks, so get it! you will not regret it. perfect -10/10
  • oeagle9 September 2005
    While not a die-hard RE fan, Capcom has always presented exceptional games in every aspect of play (My personal favorite is the Onimusha Trilogy). Even is the early Street Fighters, the graphics for an old system were something else. Now, with the latest installment in the Resident Evil series, the greatest graphics in the world have possibly been found.

Thus, I shall start with graphics. The graphics in the game are so intense that I can only describe them as Onimusha tripled (sad to say). This, coupled with spectacular shots and "camera" movements make for the most spectacular "cinematography" in a video game ever. (Sadly enough, though it's a close tie with Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, the latter lacks the astonishing graphics and shots in the few cut scenes to make it just right.) It's amazing to finally see a video game that presents realistically moving body parts, such as the finer details like the hair. However, the chief flaw in these is the lack of definition on more minor things, such as enemies. The Old-Western hue of everything and the fall scenery and dull enemy clothing provides a difficulty in seeing your enemies (unless, of course, they're brandishing scythes or sticks of dynamite.) Otherwise, the game merits some sort of award for graphics.

And, the crucial component: gameplay. The over-the-shoulder shooting style is a new and unique fighting mode that prevents you from moving while attempting to shoot. Of course, this provides more of a sense of realism. You can't ACTUALLY aim quite as well as C.J. from GTA: San Andreas while speeding in a car or running from the cops. This style also provides you with an intense problem when you're being attacked in large numbers ("en masse!"). If you've got people surrounding you, you've gotta break out of shooting mode to run away, and that's a half-second that you never have to spare. Which, in turn, brings me to another original aspect of gameplay: split-second input! I have never seen a game with interactive cut scenes. You can never stop to just watch the cut scenes anymore. Now, you must be on the lookout for either the "L+R" or "A+B" button combinations in order to avoid gruesome death. In some cases, you just have time to catch the colors before you can press the combination. And, while there are only two possible combinations, you can NEVER be sure which one it is. Each time you play the scene or point in gameplay, the combination could potentially change. If you don't like a challenge, DON'T PLAY THIS GAME! As for voice-acting, it still has the occasional corny line in all Capcom games, but from other Resident Evil games, it has improved. However, in all actuality, it lacks a sense of realism. That, and something else I can't quite put my finger on. I'll get back to you.

All-in-all, one of the most intense, visually stunning games I've ever played. 9 outta 10.
  • I'd be lying if I said that I've always been a big Resident Evil fan, but upon hearing so damn much about the fourth installment, I decided to see what the fuss was about. I was not disappointed.

I figured that the game would be enjoyable for a while, but I wasn't sure about longevity; I didn't think it would hold my interest. I assumed that once I'd played it for ten minutes, I'd basically seen all it had to offer. I couldn't have been further from the truth. The game's strongest point (there are many, believe me) is its sense of horror. While this may seem obvious, many games (Alone in the Dark, Eternal Darkness etc) fail to accomplish this. No zombies in RE4; you'll be up against fast, smart humans (not to mention some seriously creepy monsters). The sense that you are constantly battling for your life is unrivalled, yet the rewards are also great. The feeling you get from defeating one of the spectacular bosses is reward enough, but there are several unlockables to hold your interest for a LONG time.

Even if there was nothing to unlock, it wouldn't be important; I found that as soon as I completed the game, I wanted to start again. The game's length is superb too. At roughly 20 hours long, it provides days of entertainment without being overly long.

How can I go this far without mentioning the graphics? I'm sure you've heard all about them already; the best fire ever seen in a video game, along with excellent water and outstanding character models and locations make RE4 the best looking console game ever.

What more can I say? The voice acting is much better than we're used to from videogames, helping the narrative involvement. But the best thing to do is go out there and play it yourself: although I don't think I could make myself recommend it to squeamish gamers...
  • JimD731 June 2005
    STORY: 5/5: Leon S. Kennedy, four years after participating in the Raccoon City incident, is working for the Secret Service, and his first assignment is protecting the President's daughter, Ashely Graham. The day before he starts, she is kidnapped. Following a possible sighting, Leon is sent to what is apparently a small farming community in Spain. When he arrives, he is attacked by the villagers, and his two police escorts are killed. He must find Ashley, and unravel the mystery behind the village and its mysterious cult.

The length of it is good, as every step of the way uncovers new details and you are never left in an overly long sequence with no plot advancement. I am really surprised the plot was this good.

GAME DESIGN: 25/25: As you go through the plot, you are must go through five chapters, each with a certain number of subchapters. You will travel to three main areas, one of which is the village, one of which is a castle and a third which I will not reveal to you. The levels are somewhat free-roaming, as you can backtrack as you please, but eventually, areas will become cut off to you.

You will encounter many enemies along the way, of course. Don't think you'll ever be lucky enough to be one-on-one, however. Unless it is a boss character, chances are that the whole point of the encounter is to put as many angry villagers (called Ganados) in your path as possible, and make you go insane as you struggle to survive. The game is incredibly effective at making you panic, especially at times when you are inside a small house and surrounded by Ganados busting windows to get in. These are terrifying sequences, and they seem incredibly real.

The boss characters you encounter are very unique. Starting off with a battle with you in a boat, only able to use spears as a giant sea worm charges at you, sends you into driftwood, and opens its gaping jaws as you swim back to your boat, you are automatically given the impression that this game means business. The bosses that follow never quite live up to the uniqueness of that first boss, but still are all fresh and challenging.

Of course, with this many enemies there should be some cool weapons. The weapons are very traditional, which adds to the realism of the game. You will be equipped with pistols, machine guns, shotguns, rifles, magnums, grenades and the occasional rocket launcher, but it is never too far-fetched in terms of weaponry. Granted, you will encounter such odd weapons as the Mine Thrower and the Chicago Typewriter.

To give you due warning, never put down your controller. In the middle of some cinema scenes, a prompt will appear at the bottom of the screen for you to press buttons quickly to avoid death. In fact, one mini-boss battle is fought entirely in a cinema scene. This is exceptionally effective for keeping the gamer on his toes.

For much of the game, you will be with Ashley Graham, and be forced to protect her. If she dies, the game ends just like if you die. You will be only able to command her to 'wait' or 'follow' normally, though occasionally the need for other commands will arise. It is a working system, as anything more would distract from the fast-paced nature of the game. Luckily, before most big battles, you will be able to tell her to hide away in a dumpster, and once you progress further into the game, there will be more and more times where you will not have to worry about her.

The design has few if any flaws. The game is consistently heart-pounding, exciting, eventful and interesting.

PLAY CONTROL: 19/20: The controls for this game are very unique. It is from an over-the-shoulder viewpoint. You cannot move and shoot, but by pressing the right shoulder button, it will zoom in slightly and the control stick will move the gun you are holding. It is tough to explain, but while at first it seems very odd, once you get used to it, it is a wonder why this has never been used before. The only problem is that, because it is over the shoulder, most shots veer to the left. This may add to the realism and panic factors, but at times, it can be very annoying. Overall, fresh and original controls prevail, and this is a great flagship for this setup.

GRAPHICS: 20/20: The graphics are simply stunning. Looking over a village filled with insane residents carrying torches, pitchforks and the occasional chainsaw, is a very hard task to accomplish. It all looks completely real. You can sense the madness these Ganados carry with them just by looking at them. All the creatures look original and incredible. The environment has this kind of washed-out effect to it, and it seems as dreary as it could possibly be. This game is incredible at establishing a mood through the setting.

SOUND: 5/5: I never have much to say about sound, and this is no exception. The sound captures the mood perfectly, and the voice acting is spot on. But a single sound (or lack thereof) in this game can make the hairs on the back of your neck stand straight.

SATISFACTION: 24/25: This is a game that is as good as it gets. The single player is among the best I have ever had the pleasure of playing, and is very replay-able, especially once additional modes are unlocked.

TOTAL: 98%: There is very little wrong with this game. This is the best title there is for the Gamecube right now. Screw Metroid Prime, screw The Wind Waker, screw SSBM. Resident Evil 4 is the best gaming experience I have had since Ocarina of Time.
  • As an RE fan, Resident Evil 4 has truly proved to be the best in the series. It excels in all aspects, from the controls to the graphics, this game is amazing and extremely fun.

I was a bit skeptical about this game because of the changes in its story and all of the "no more zombies" rumors, but thank Capcom for those changes because they have taken the series into new grounds of survival horror and the gaming experience itself.

The best thing about this game are the graphics. The cut-scenes are rendered in such detail that they breathtakingly embrace the player. The dialogue is furthermore improved compared to the previous RE games. The story is fast paced and always keeps you on the edge of your seat. Resident Evil 4 is undoubtedly the best game of 2005, and of course the best in the entire RE series.

10/10 stars(personally I would give it 100:P)
  • The Nintendo GameCube wasn't the best console in the 6th generation of Consoles, but damn it had some good exclusives...Resident Evil 4 was one of them...until it was Ported to the Ps2 and Wii, then it wasn't so exclusive, but it was one of gamecube's best, right along SSB: mêlée and Zelda; Twilight Princess.

It's a simple Damsel in distress story. You play Leon Kennedy, a man who was so good, he got Promoted to the U.S. Agency on the first day of being a police officer. In 1998, he helped clean up the mess in Resident evil 2, now 6 years have passed. the president's daughter, Ashley Graham, has gone missing, but has been spotted in one of the darkest, hell-like places of Europe. It's up to Leon Kennedy to bring her home safe and sound.

i've only played this game for 2 days and I can honestly say this is probably the most realistically gory game I have ever played. there are scenes where the hero can be decapitated by crazy chainsaw guys, and he can also be eaten alive by a creature in a lake. also, he can blast the zombies into pieces, particularly the head. there is also some coarse language throughout the game, but it's nothing to have a cow over. as for the sexual content of the game, there is very little, other than a few sexist comments.

Bottom line, I'm going to recommend this game, but not for the little ones. it's way too violent and gruesome. I'm also not going to recommend it for the faint of heart, due to the excessive blood splatter. If you're old enough, this game needs to be in your library.

• I got this game yesterday, and already it is kicking a lot of ass. The action is already intense, and I know I'm am NO WHERE near the halfway point of the game.

Pros: Just about everything! Graphics, action, and enemy AI have never been better in the resident evil titles. Very few games out there can match the AI and action. The game even has a decent sense of humor, and the game challenges you from the start.

Cons: Saving is still not that easy. Though those annoying, horrendous ink ribbons are finally gone, you still need to find a typewriter to save the game. However, there are several located throughout the game. Like I said, the game challenges you... A LOT. This is one of the hardest games I have, and I own more than my fair share.

Overall, this game is easily the 2005 game of the year. If you have a gamecube and not this game, why? What are you waiting for? If you have a PS2, go out and get this NOW. I said the game was hard, but I, like many others, love a challenge. Though it may seem hasty to submit a comment the day after I get this game and haven't beaten it, this should give you the idea of how great it is.

10/10. Brilliant.
  • When this game first came out, I was really interested in playing it. But I wasn't able to play it until last year when I beat the whole game. Here are my thoughts on it. I loved every bit of it, it was one very addictive game and I couldn't stop playing it. It had a creepy atmosphere, but to me, this wasn't a scary game, even the Regenerators weren't scary to me. I heard and read many reviews calling this game scary, but my advice, everyone is different, it may be scary for some players, but not all players will say this is scary. I highly recommend this game if you want a good scare or a creepy but fun atmosphere. I love the Resident Evil series and this was by far their best. Hope they continue making excellent games like this in the future.

Well, there is my thoughts on this, so my overall score on this game is 10 out of 10 and here's why? 1) Excellent story, which added more to the suspense. The thought of someone being kidnapped by a mysterious cult like this is creepy, and their motives are revealed until you start playing the game. 2) The music, which makes the game even creepier. Music is what adds emotions to a story. When music is creepy like the one is this game, it adds more to the creepy atmosphere 3) The characters were great, especially Ashley who serves as a playable character in certain parts of the game and as the story's damsel in distress. 4) The Graphics, despite this being a 2005 video game, the graphics were really good and made the game look a lot better.

In the end, this game was really well made and could be a scary game for certain players, but for some, it's not scary. I really enjoyed this game and would play it again. If you played the newer Resident Evil games and haven't tried this yet, I suggest you try this game, it's really worth the money and the time. My best advice for people who are trying this game for the first time, play this game at a slow pace, it gives you the advantage to explore areas for weapons, treasures, or just clearing enemies
    It is a bold statement to call something the best best ever, but with this I have trouble seeing how it can be topped.

Everything in this game from the story to the graphics to the controls is just perfect. It restored my faith in video games. I bought it being a fan of the series and I must have played it for 6 months without getting bored once. This, unlike the others in the series, is more action based than puzzle based. There are puzzles but it is more focused on the action which brought a fresh approach to the series.

It is also the first that does not actually have zombies in it. You play the game as Leon Kennedy from the 2 game in the series. You have been sent to a remote Spanish village to find the presidents daughter. The plot in this story is great and I don't want to give mush away.

There is a wide variety of weapons at your disposal and you can even upgrade the weapons that you already have, or sell them if you want to by a better one. The controls and camera angles in this game are smooth and make the game a lot better than it's predecessors. The camera instead of being in a changing position, it is fixed behind you.

The soundtrack for this game is amazing in the way that it can scare the hell out of you by building tension.

This is just a fun experience and any gamer would like it. Horror movie fans that don't like video games would probably like this because it makes you feel like you are there.
  • If the first Resident Evil (1996) was the game that defined the modern survival horror genre, then the 2002 REmake was the game that re-affirmed that status. But after six games done in the same style, it became clear that the zombies, static camera angles, tank controls and chronic lack of ammo had become as formulaic as mushrooms and 1-Ups in a Super Mario game. Resident Evil - Code: Veronica had already taken a step in the right direction by making the camera movements more dynamic, but it seemed that more innovation would be welcome to prevent the series from constantly repeating itself. And who better than series creator Shinji Mikami to give his creation a well-deserved polish?

Mikami was bold to abruptly cut the ties with the past, both in form and content (except for a few items such as medicinal herbs). He literally takes the story into new territory by taking us to Europe several years in the future, where Umbrella has all but disappeared, and the T-virus threat has been eliminated. Leon Kennedy, our hero from RE2, is a government agent now, tasked with a secret mission to retrieve the abducted President's daughter Ashley from an unknown religious group. There is also a new pathogen, which means a new deadly threat: no more slow, groaning zombies this time, but quick, agile, intelligent Ganados who can use weapons and coordinate their attacks (as well as sprout lethal appendages). Like the first game, Mikami shows himself the master of effective storytelling with an optimum of narrative tools. He keeps the plot as lean as possible and the game at acceptable length, focussing on action without subplots all over the place, over-the-top twists or drawn-out expositions that some of the previous installments or contemporary games were (in)famous for. It is great to see how the environments seem to tell part of the (back)story, and are almost characters in their own right. The scenery becomes increasingly sinister over time, which perfectly reflects the Inferno-like journey that the story takes, unfolding almost automatically through brief cut-scenes and documents.

RE4 was the big technical revolution for which the GameCube seems to have been invented. Just imagine the graphical splendor of the REmake, only not as statically rendered backgrounds, but in full, glorious 3D. If you're not running for your life, you will admire the great production design, sometimes in all its ugly details. The environments are a mix of indoor and outdoor, varying from large open areas, rustic villages, industrial areas to secluded castles and hospitals, but the difference is that enemies can basically turn up everywhere, and can hunt you down to almost every spot. Quickly getting out of a room doesn't necessarily make you safe, which is emphasized by the lack of opening-door animations (finally, BTW). Although the game's focus on firepower is far more than usual in the series, it is still very unwise to battle the hordes of enemies by firing away in a gung-ho style. Shots must count, and a poor aim may lead to a horrific death by pitchfork, claws or chainsaw, so the survival elements still very much pervade the gameplay. It will also frequently test your nerves; if the constant sense of dread or the unexpected shocks don't get to you, the suspenseful music or Dolby ProLogic sound will. The tension sometimes rises to heights where you hardly dare to continue.

With this abrupt change in gameplay, the ability to control your aim is not only welcome, but very necessary. Some fans say that RE4 was the game that turned survival horror into a dumbed-down shoot 'm up, but I say that it signaled the birth of a new genre: the survival shooter. The legacy of RE4 cannot be overstated: over-the-shoulder camera angles and third-person aiming are now the staples of many other games. And with good reason, because this system just works superbly. The lack of a 'lock-on' system could have been annoying, but free aiming makes hitting a moving enemy not only immensely satisfying, it also invites a lot of experimentation in aiming for certain body parts. Finding out how to most effectively kill or incapacitate enemies, or discovering creative ways to take on some of the larger monsters feels disturbingly good. The Wii version, with its WiiMote aiming, definitely offered the best shooting experience of all the versions I have played.

RE4 was also one of the first games where the gameplay continued well into the cut-scenes. These Quick Time Events prompt the player to press a combination of buttons in order to perform the correct action. This game still uses them in the right way, i.e. sparingly, at opportune moments and with usually enough time to respond, without overrelying on them or frustrating the player like RE5 did. This challenge largely compensates for the absence of real puzzles in the game. Where the previous entries would often test the player's creativity in manipulating found objects to gain access to new areas (sometimes in narratively illogical ways, though), RE4 eliminates most of these challenges. There are still enough fetch-quests, but the game will automatically suggest which item to use at the correct location. A better improvement is the ability to collect money and valuables, which can be exchanged for weapons and helpful objects, making thorough exploration of areas a worthwhile undertaking. Additionally, you can now manage your inventory space and acquire more of it, giving the player more control of collected items (a helpful innovation that was sadly ditched already in RE5).

Are there no downsides then? Sure, but they're almost negligable. As the story progresses, Mikami's tricks tend to become a bit predictable, and the set-up of certain areas (lots of ammo and deathly obstacles around) will already betray what trouble you can expect; the plot is not without its fair share of holes (e.g. if Leon is such a threat, why do they leave him running around all the time?); escorting Ashley to safety can be a drag sometimes (especially if she acts completely helpless and uncooperative), and the Cockney merchant guy whom you can buy stuff from is a bit out of place. Much has been said about the choice to port the game to the PS2, which took a bit away from its grandeur, but I think this is the type of art that should be available to as many gamers as possible. And that version also gave us some great additional content, like the Ada Wong scenario, 'Separate Ways'.

It rarely happens that a sequel completely changes the course of the series, and then becomes the best part of that series, but I am willing to make a case for it here. RE4 managed to re-invigorate the genre by taking its strengths and eliminating its frustrating elements, making for one hell of a scary, exiting and satisfying trip to Hell. I already lost count on the number of replays, and I am still not done yet.
    Resident Evil 4 in my opinion is the best game ever made, if in any way that you are a Resi fan then you would agree with me, it is nothing like any of the previous titles, it's packed from start to finish with everything a fan could want, Leon Kennedy should go down in history as one of the greatest ever video game characters, and Ada Wong is totally 'smokin' as a computer babe, if only all women were as sultry as her. I loved everything in the game and have yet to complete it on professional, the sub games that you can unlock in it is very playable. The levels of violence in the game is unreal, the guns etc outmatch any of the previous titles, the bad guys are pure evil, and they constantly come at you from all ends, with chainsaws, mini-guns, pitch-forks, knifes and anything else the can land there hands on, the sheer depth of the game is so compelling that I've often wasted days on end playing it, if I am to flaw it then the only thing that I can think of is the fact that you can't buy ammo from the merchants, I've had many a gando chasing me when I've been low on 9mm bullets, but apart from that there is very little that you can fault it on, I actually went out and bought a Game-Cube purely for that game and I can tell you now it has been one of the best investments I've ever had, I don't want to spoil it to much for the people who haven't played it yet but the boss'es in it are awesome and the game-play is one of the most addictive that I'll ever played, Thanks Capcom for truly proving to the world that you guy's still have it and looking forward to RE5...
  • jebyvyson21 November 2019
    When RE7 came out, I got really addicted into the game series right away. I started to do some research about the history of Resident Evil and it's game timeline and development. During my research, it has seem that the most popular game that people called the #1 is Resident Evil 4. I have seen photos and relative thing from Resident Evil 4 in the past before I was a Resident Evil fan. I got the game for Christmas in 2017 and started to play few days later.

The graphics for the game from 2005 still holds up with better quality. The games mechanics takes a short time to handle. People complain about the game's controls being a little difficult. They still used the tank controls from previous RE games, the only difference are the camera. The last RE games had fixed camera angles and since they shift the series into another direction with this game, it is now over-the-shoulder third-person. This game was very popular with its camera angles, it revolutionize third-person shooters like Dead Space, Gears of Wars, God of war(2018), and more. The games tone has a creepy feeling with mixed of action packed atmosphere. This game balance horror and action perfectly, which I would consider "the definition of action survival-horror." Your character is Leon Kennedy from Resident Evil 2, he's on a mission to rescue the president's daughter from a religious cult on a not specific area of Spain. The story is really not that important, it's pretty simple really because like what SuperButterBuns(YouTuber) said "EVERYTHING IS TRYING TO KILL YOU!" There will be different type of enemies to encounter along the way and quick-time events so never, and I mean NEVER, put your controller down. This was back when QTE was popular and I still like it to this day. The game has a great backtrack design. If you think you miss some stuff, you'll come back to that area along the way, but some places are one time thing so you'll never able to go back there again. This game would put you in some scary situations for a while to the point where it feels like a action game, then soon the game reminds you that you are playing a horror game.

Nowadays, not many people appreciate this masterpiece saying that it was the beginning the death of the series due to its following sequels. The games went the horror to mostly action after RE4 and while this game did bring action into the mix, it is not to be blame for being something different for the fans. Back then, the RE series was getting dull and the fanbase was slowly slipping away. Capcom had to make some new changes to keep the series going so they threw what made RE great out the window and brought in something new that shocked fans. Fans from 2005 will understand this because they don't know what ideas the series have. Newcomers would like the game because it was more action packed and some would disapproved this game. If the time machine was a thing, I would show them what it was like for a game going into a different direction for fans and critics.
  • merem113 June 2017
    One of the best games I ever played in my life. The game has a good atmosphere. The adventure the main character must go on to save a kidnapped girl, the president's daughter. It is a memorable adventure that is loads of fun. The villains are over the top and cheesy, but it works really well. The locations in the game are fascinating. You just want to explore every corner of them. There is a explosive finale that is satisfying in the end. The weapons in the game are really good. The rocket launcher and shotgun are the best.
  • Maxed_cape6 November 2013
    I'd have to give this 10/10. I may be looking at this game from a bias point of view, but I just cannot fault it based on my personal preference of games. This game ticks all the right boxes for a successful horror game. I'm still playing this game 8 years later, and I'm still enjoying it just as much as the first day I played it.

Resident evil games are known for their awkward controls and annoying camera shots. But in this game, personally, I just didn't feel that. This may be me getting used to them over the many years of playing, or it may be down to the fact that they are just better.

The storyline is not only captivating and compelling from the start, but keeps you grabbed by the nuts all the way through. Not once will you get bored. All the way through the game you will want to play till the end, regardless of being potentially terrified, the compelling nature of the story will guide you through the terrors of that is resident evil.

The range of weapons and upgrades also made me personally want to keep on playing. The fact I could make my character my own personal killing machine is always something that's made me able to play games for long periods of times. Collecting up money, finding and combining treasures and defeating huge bosses with awesome rewards is the epitome of a good game for me; resident evil 4 does just that.

There are so many modes to this game, it offers so much more than the conventional PlayStation 2/GameCube platform game. After completing the story on normal you will unlock other modes which keep you occupied for long periods of times. Professional mode being one, will test your skills as a resident evil player, or if not, a gamer in general, and poses more of an attraction towards skill than the already revealed storyline. But that alone is enough to make you want to go through the story again. The AI on the characters are also pretty good, with a few flaws here and there. But still, nothing major to get your panties in a twist about ( Nothing like the AI in upcoming game of the year, the last of us;) ) There is so much more I would like to say about this game but I guess you get the drift. If I had to try and stretch for some negative points I'd have to say that The AI on Ashley and some enemies could of been a bit better and that the use of sounds on certain enemies could of been changed as it got repetitive. More sounds could of been added to enemies, as well as Ashley.
  • Alright, just letting you know, I would put down 9.5, but it's not there! Anyway, I really love this game! I play it day in and day out! (Except for school days!) I like playing this game over and over again because it's so much fun and the story never get's old. I just love the over-shoulder camera and aiming, I'm not bragging, but I'm very good at aiming in this game. (Probably for the fact I've played it over 20 times!) I love the save music, if you hear that soft music, you know there's going to be a typewriter! And the fact, the music keeps going while there are enemies around and stops either you've killed them all, or moved far enough away from them.

I also love the background! I walk around the levels/places and just look at the scenery, like the candle flickering or the sound of water drops. I just love it and the graphics as well, like the blood, being the right blood-red shade.

The game play is fair too, it's all easy to learn and soon you won't even need to look down at the controller to see which button you have to press next.

Every part of this is fantastic and will leave you wanting to play more, just last weekend when playing it, I got so into the game I played for two chapter within an hour or so.

The only bad thing about this...nothing really. I've played it so many times and I still want to continue on! I like this game so much, I'm heading for like finishing it over 99 times! (Doubt I will though) I finally will give this my vote! I will give this a 9.5/10 and 95% out of 100%.
  • brennenearl26 September 2019
    • Positives
    Amazing graphics The most fun to play Very memorable Leon/Ada are fantastic

• Cons
    No zombies
    Haven't picked this up in years, and yet, dusting off my Wii last week, just in time to miss out on the virtual console now i could afford it, i have now completed what must be my fifteenth play-through of the main story, and like some kind of Plagas itself, the tension, the dread, the all encompassing desire to play the game with as perfect a score as possible, has not left me. Even with this recent run where i omitted my much beloved Wiimote controls for the more traditional Gamecube controller, i found myself once more not being able to put down this game. Those Wiimote controls definitely smoothed the difficulty curve though. Old strategies no longer worked and the game was much, much harder, especially on the professional difficulty. Now, i feel like i've properly played the game from beginning to end, brand new save, gamecube controller. And it was a pleasure.

So much the games industry has taken from Resi 4, it's almost inconceivable to think about the impact this must have had back in '05. Masterful implementation of third person camera, blockbuster CGI, grim and gritty colour palette, the immaculate weapons upgrade system. Yes, the action shooter genre would be unrecognisable today without this masterfully designed game.

Resident Evil 4 sets itself apart from imitators near and far though with it's firm acknowledgement of it's roots. The gameplay retains strongly a survival horror element with a deceptive quantity of resources combined with equally deceptive enemy A.I. Easily, with the right weapons, the various Ganados could be cut through like paper, and i have. However, it's not the Ganados themselves that provide the difficulty. It's the item management and currency system which is the real meat of the game. Fighting bosses like Krauser without the assist of a handcannon or tommy gun, with limited ammo and scarcer health items, provide the kind of tension and split second decision making which define Resident Evil 4.

Add to this all of the extras, including the best version of the mercenaries mode, the aforementioned special weapons and Ada side stories (which BTW feature my most favourite shotgun ever in videogames, with its vertical foregrip and chillingly industrial like SFX), and you have what must be one of the most replayable games this side of the millennium. It's a masterpiece and i doubt i'll ever be putting it down.
  • I am a Resident Evil Fan and avid player since the release of the first game, back on 1996 for PlayStation 1. Ever since then I've been playing almost all of them, I can really say that this RE 4 is as good as the previous ones, but a little different.

In the beginning you might miss all those zombies and hunters, the third person view, RPD's officers and STARS members. But as I always say you have to create something new if you want a revolution and RE 4 has done a great leap of revolution to the series. AI of the enemies is better than those zombies, the plot is interesting, the graphics are fantastic (although the widescreen may disturb if you don't have a widescreen TV set), and the PS2 version is filled with extras.

The game is not as hard as I thought, the puzzles are kind of easy in comparsion to the other games and it lost the Survival Horror in some parts because it seems more like an adventure like Caslevania game. But If you wanna play it, it is the longest of all. It took me 18 hours to finish the game for the first time I've played it on the Easy mode! Grade 10!
  • jjlovesblink26 June 2020
    🖤
    This is the best game ever created. Thats all i have to say
  • 'Where are the zombies?', ask the die-hard fans. Well the horror's still here folks, but it's come leaps and bounds since the PS1.

I had read a few reviews for RE4, and had expected it to be very good. I was wrong- it was fantastic. Like, on a level that only a few other games had ever reached. Although I want to gush for pages, as always, I'll try to keep it brief.

Pros: + It looks fantastic; arguably the best graphics on the console. + Has a host of memorable characters (Leon, Ada, Krauser, Saddler, Salazar, Louis, etc). + Relentlessly enjoyable, intense gameplay. + A consistently brilliant 20-hour campaign, plus extra game modes and unlockables. + Nice to have an escort who actually obeys you. + Enough inventiveness for 3 games (some of the set pieces are amazing).

Cons: - Not much of a story.

If you haven't played RE4, do it. Otherwise, you're missing out on one of the best games of the last generation. Believe the hype.
  • Capcom begins 2005 with a bang, with the release of the highly anticipated Resident Evil 4, directed by series creator Shinji Mikami to be nothing less than the greatest survival horror game of all time. Designed from the ground up to bring back players who had given up on the series while at the same time inviting a whole new generation of gamers to give the series a try, Resident Evil 4 revitalizes and revolutionizes the genre from decapitated head to chewy toe.

Leon makes his long awaited return to the series, this time as a secret agent sent to rescue the President's daughter from her Eastern-European kidnappers. The cinematic intro makes it clear that Umbrella is finished, and as Leon and his rather unfriendly police escorts arrive outside of the autumnal village of Pueblo, the player is filled with a giddy sense of the unknown.

Disregard the previous entries in the series completely: replacing the static cameras from previous games, Resident Evil 4 employs an over-the- shoulder camera which follows the game's protagonist, Leon S Kennedy everywhere he goes.

While the control scheme hasn't been dramatically changed, it works much more intuitively from this new, action-oriented angle. For example, aiming at specific targets is no longer an exercise in frustration, as Leon's arsenal comes equipped with laser sights allowing pinpoint accurate shooting. While Leon still uses type writers to record his progress, ink ribbons aren't required, allowing an unlimited number of saves. And unlike previous versions, Resident Evil 4 has a much more flexible inventory management function, allowing you to reorganize your equipment to your heart's content – not to mention that keys and other special items don't even take up room in the main equipment screen.

Context-sensitive actions round out Leon's repertoire, allowing him to hop over small fences, climb ladders, jump down from high ledges or out windows, and kick or suplex stunned enemies. Taking a cue from Sega's Shenmue, there are even action sequences requiring the player to press either the L and R shoulder buttons simultaneously or rapidly alternate between the A and B buttons to avoid instant death. Unexpectedly, these do-or-die reflex tests are actually quite fun and spruce up the in-game cinematics with an added element of danger – players accustomed to simply watching cinematics in other games won't want to put the controller down for long in this one! You better watch your back!

Perhaps the most exciting and immersive aspect of the game, however, is the enemy artificial intelligence. No longer is Leon fighting slow moving zombies: these are angry villagers armed with pitchforks, hatchets, torches, dynamite and chainsaws that move quickly and attempt to surround him from all sides. They'll hunt Leon down and leave no place to hide, angrily busting down doorways, climbing in through the windows, tossing axes from afar, and when you're out of reach they'll smoke you out with molotov cocktails. And unlike previous Resident Evils, the number of enemies doesn't top off at 7 or 8, as often you will be attacked by an onslaught of 10 or more enemies at once, and any given area can be populated by dozens of attackers. Enemies become more diverse and require different strategies as the game progresses, keeping the action fresh and nail-bitingly intense.

The graphics offer a visual feast unlike any game before it; virtually every inch of every character, weapon and environment has been meticulously crafted down to the finest detail. Cinematics come to life through keen direction and a flawless combination of motion-capture and animation. Characters actually emote through "acting"; subtle facial expressions and body language. Backgrounds are filled with sumptuous props, such as billowing silk drapery, trees and shrubs, distressed woodgrain textures, or small pools of muddy water. And the bosses will blow you away. It's undeniably one of the greatest looking games of its time, and easily the best looking game on GameCube. Fans of gore will have plenty to sink their teeth into.

The audio experience aptly complements this visual tour-de-force with first-rate voice acting and sound effects. Enemies talk amongst themselves, or chant in disturbing fashion, and upon sight will shout for help, launch obscenities at you, laugh uncontrollably as they stab you in the back, and fly into a berserker rage when shot. The sound effects, as can be expected, are first rate. The musical accompaniment ranges from a stressful, driving percussive ambiance when enemies are near to a cool, collected techno vibe when Leon's about to enter the fray. When the action ramps up and the stakes are high, the music drifts into a dramatic, intensifying heart beat to perfectly complement the player's pulse.

Some players will no doubt be disappointed at the shift in focus from puzzles to action, but there are still a number of puzzles in the game. These help to break up the action but don't require any backtracking or collection of specific items to complete. In my opinion, the whole "collect the emblem key to unlock the red door" thing was already getting on my nerves by the third game.

The team responsible have gone above and beyond the call of duty in providing a fresh take on an established franchise. The changes are irreversibly positive, a true sign of an instant classic if there ever was one, and the mini games add extra vitality to the revitalized corpse we all call "Resident Evil". Its like an action movie that you control, only better.