• oeagle9 September 2005
    While not a die-hard RE fan, Capcom has always presented exceptional games in every aspect of play (My personal favorite is the Onimusha Trilogy). Even is the early Street Fighters, the graphics for an old system were something else. Now, with the latest installment in the Resident Evil series, the greatest graphics in the world have possibly been found.

Thus, I shall start with graphics. The graphics in the game are so intense that I can only describe them as Onimusha tripled (sad to say). This, coupled with spectacular shots and "camera" movements make for the most spectacular "cinematography" in a video game ever. (Sadly enough, though it's a close tie with Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, the latter lacks the astonishing graphics and shots in the few cut scenes to make it just right.) It's amazing to finally see a video game that presents realistically moving body parts, such as the finer details like the hair. However, the chief flaw in these is the lack of definition on more minor things, such as enemies. The Old-Western hue of everything and the fall scenery and dull enemy clothing provides a difficulty in seeing your enemies (unless, of course, they're brandishing scythes or sticks of dynamite.) Otherwise, the game merits some sort of award for graphics.

And, the crucial component: gameplay. The over-the-shoulder shooting style is a new and unique fighting mode that prevents you from moving while attempting to shoot. Of course, this provides more of a sense of realism. You can't ACTUALLY aim quite as well as C.J. from GTA: San Andreas while speeding in a car or running from the cops. This style also provides you with an intense problem when you're being attacked in large numbers ("en masse!"). If you've got people surrounding you, you've gotta break out of shooting mode to run away, and that's a half-second that you never have to spare. Which, in turn, brings me to another original aspect of gameplay: split-second input! I have never seen a game with interactive cut scenes. You can never stop to just watch the cut scenes anymore. Now, you must be on the lookout for either the "L+R" or "A+B" button combinations in order to avoid gruesome death. In some cases, you just have time to catch the colors before you can press the combination. And, while there are only two possible combinations, you can NEVER be sure which one it is. Each time you play the scene or point in gameplay, the combination could potentially change. If you don't like a challenge, DON'T PLAY THIS GAME! As for voice-acting, it still has the occasional corny line in all Capcom games, but from other Resident Evil games, it has improved. However, in all actuality, it lacks a sense of realism. That, and something else I can't quite put my finger on. I'll get back to you.

All-in-all, one of the most intense, visually stunning games I've ever played. 9 outta 10.
  • There's one standard that I always use to judge the quality of a game: If my girlfriend actually encourages me to play so she can watch, I know it's good. Very few games have passed this test - the original Silent Hill, Blood Omen, Resident Evil 1 and 2, and now Resident Evil 4. Not only is it totally immerse to play, but it's even fun to watch.

I'll admit that when I first played the demo (for about five minutes) I was a little nervous: The new over-the-shoulder camera setup was a little "un-Resident Evil," and the crazed hillbillies weren't comfortably familiar, like the lumbering zombies in the previous games. And some of the new moves (like diving through windows) seemed cheesy and over-the-top. However, after hearing from so many places that the game was great, and seeing so many reviews that had to rely on principle or nitpicking to find a problem with the game, I forked over fifty bucks.

And all I can say is, daaaamn. The only problem I've found with this game is that it'll make all the previous Resident Evil games suffer by comparison. This is what I really wanted - and just about got - from all of them. Who hasn't watched Dawn of the Dead and wanted to run around blasting the undead with a hunting rifle? Well, here's your chance, and you can even watch their heads explode in glorious 3-D. Ever wanted to shoot a monster in the knees, then mow it with an automatic weapon while it's down? Step right up.

Yes, lots of changes have been made to the game. Some of them seem like natural outgrowths of one another: It would be too easy to pinpoint aim and kill slow-witted, slow-moving zombies, so the enemies here are a little sharper and quicker. The camera no longer obstructs your view of a scene, which was frustrating but also a familiar hallmark of the previous games. And there are some RPG elements added that make the whole thing more "game-like," like a merchant who sells weapons and gun upgrades, and who buys treasures you find around the game. Enemies drop money, ammo, or health items when they die; the new "yellow herb" increases your maximum health. But all of these work to make the game a little more open-ended and a little more engaging (it's so much fun seeing in numbers just how powerful your magnum is). One mini-game, the shooting gallery, is unbelievably addictive, but well worth it: As a reward for completing each set of cheesy wooden targets you get money and a collection of "bottle caps" - little action figure-like models of enemies and allies from the game, who play low-fi recordings of their character sounds. It's downright hilarious.

For all its changes, though, Resident Evil 4 still FEELS like a Resident Evil game. It contains elements obviously important from the ultra-slick movie franchise - like slow-motion fight scenes and a challenging laser-dodge sequence - and other fun, over-the-top action movie tropes (pressing the action button near a second-floor window causes you to dive through the window, roll, and get to your feet), but it also contains the Resident Evil trademarks. The monsters are all weird perversions of real creatures - from humans to insects - the environments are atmospheric and creepy. the ever-more-powerful weapons are too much fun to play with, the characters interact in melodramatic shouts and cheesy one-liners, and, most importantly, you get the feeling that the enemy plans to win by sheer numbers.

It took me exactly twenty hours to beat the game: at the end my kills tallied up at just over 1,000: this game is huge. My girlfriend asked near the end of one chapter, "Is this the end?" and I said, "No, there's still another disk left." The graphics are so lush and beautiful that at least once I actually stopped between slayings to admire the backgrounds. The water effects and superb and the fire effects even better (the scene even wavers with heat); the environment is beautifully textured and some new elements - like destructible barrels and boxes and the ability to hop over obtrusive railings or fences - add an unprecedented (for a RE game) level of interactivity. When a beast dies its blood flies out in all directions; if your decapitate an enemy with your shotgun the bony stump spews blood with graphic detail.

After finishing the game you get a harder difficulty setting, and two mini-games become available: Assignment Ada, in which you play as Ada Wong through the final portion of the game, and The Mercenaries, a timed endurance round with four super-cool unlockable characters. I can't wait to play through it again.

There's also one other thing that, for me, really made the game. At one point you are in a run-down chapel inside a demonic castle, and you see an elaborate chest inside a glass case. Inside the chest is a (holy) hand grenade. I laughed out loud.
  • I always loved the idea of the Resident Evil games, the settings, the story lines and the atmosphere, but the games were getting repetitive, and simply the control system was plain annoying, you never truly felt involved.

I knew Resident Evil 4 was going to be a change, but what a change, if there has ever been a comeback for a gaming series then this is it. I don't care about people saying, oh there are no zombies etc.. all i know is the enemies in this game are simply better, and a whole lot of fun to fight against, the control system is a revelation, making perfect use of the control pad in what is essentially an FPS. The enemies have amazing AI, wherever you can go, they can, you will feel like you're fighting them for real, their animations are astounding, shoot them in the leg, they react exactly how would expect them to. The weapons are so satisfying, you will get such a buzz from using them.

The graphics -- i've been upgrading my PC to super levels to play Half Life 2 etc.. graphics that will blow your face away, who would have thought the Gamecube could give a visual experience to rival anything on the PC.. these are the best console graphics ever, at times you feel like you're playing an FMV, i'm being serious. The art design of this game is something only the Japanese game makers could do, there is more visual invention than any movie.

i don't normally like scary games, but this game was just too fun to miss out on, there are moments when you will get your heart beating, for once there is a real feeling of survival horror, the concept of Resident Evil has finally been fulfilled.

my only complaint is maybe the game is too short, well 20 hrs isn't short just right for this type of game, and well it was just so addictive i couldn't put it down, so really it isn't a short game, but you're having such a great time it just flies by.. even still Capcom have added some bonus games, that are actually worth your time, and will add a few more hours to it all.. i'd say a healthy 30hrs is there.

anyway -- unmissable, simply amazing. the Gamecube has few titles, but the ones that shine, really take some beating.. and although it will be coming out on the PS2 at the end of this year, Res Evil 4, is yet another strong reason for getting a Cube. STRONGLY RECOMMENDED 9.7/10
  • Undernet0115 January 2005
    After thoroughly playing through Resident Evil 4, I still think that Resident Evil 4 is one of the best from of the Resident Evil series. It's nice to see Capcom taking a step away from the regular zombies which they regularly use.

You play as Leon S. Kennedy. You'll probably recognize the name from Resident Evil 2. Your assignment is to rescue the daughter of the President of the United States. After which, Leon travels to Spain to search for Ashley. The odds of success are strictly stacked against Leon.

You'll encounter many scenarios similar to the Resident Evil series, including the infamous "Avoid the Lasers" from Resident Evil the Movie. You'll have to get through several puzzles, dodging several obstacles and events within the cut scenes to avoid a gruesome death.

There's more to this game than just shooting enemies, there is a fantastic storyline to this game, but I wouldn't recommend it to younger audiences.
  • Let's start off saying RE4 is an AWESOME game! Really. one of the best games for game cube, or even of all time! When i got this game, i couldn't put it down! all the gore and guns!! it was so sweet. My favorite part of this game was of course the wonderful storyline and voice actors. it wasn't one of those stories where you just try to skip it (and believe me, i have some of those games), but this one really drew you into it. I really wanted to know everything they would say! speaking of saying, the voice actors were wonderful! i loved them! they were so dramatic and just..good! The puzzles in RE4 are very good and sometimes, a little tricky! The guns were just great. they had so many you get find, or even buy from the merchant). i loved this game, and you will too. no doubt. right now it's 40 bucks, so get it! you will not regret it. perfect -10/10
  • I'd be lying if I said that I've always been a big Resident Evil fan, but upon hearing so damn much about the fourth installment, I decided to see what the fuss was about. I was not disappointed.

I figured that the game would be enjoyable for a while, but I wasn't sure about longevity; I didn't think it would hold my interest. I assumed that once I'd played it for ten minutes, I'd basically seen all it had to offer. I couldn't have been further from the truth. The game's strongest point (there are many, believe me) is its sense of horror. While this may seem obvious, many games (Alone in the Dark, Eternal Darkness etc) fail to accomplish this. No zombies in RE4; you'll be up against fast, smart humans (not to mention some seriously creepy monsters). The sense that you are constantly battling for your life is unrivalled, yet the rewards are also great. The feeling you get from defeating one of the spectacular bosses is reward enough, but there are several unlockables to hold your interest for a LONG time.

Even if there was nothing to unlock, it wouldn't be important; I found that as soon as I completed the game, I wanted to start again. The game's length is superb too. At roughly 20 hours long, it provides days of entertainment without being overly long.

How can I go this far without mentioning the graphics? I'm sure you've heard all about them already; the best fire ever seen in a video game, along with excellent water and outstanding character models and locations make RE4 the best looking console game ever.

What more can I say? The voice acting is much better than we're used to from videogames, helping the narrative involvement. But the best thing to do is go out there and play it yourself: although I don't think I could make myself recommend it to squeamish gamers...
  • As an RE fan, Resident Evil 4 has truly proved to be the best in the series. It excels in all aspects, from the controls to the graphics, this game is amazing and extremely fun.

I was a bit skeptical about this game because of the changes in its story and all of the "no more zombies" rumors, but thank Capcom for those changes because they have taken the series into new grounds of survival horror and the gaming experience itself.

The best thing about this game are the graphics. The cut-scenes are rendered in such detail that they breathtakingly embrace the player. The dialogue is furthermore improved compared to the previous RE games. The story is fast paced and always keeps you on the edge of your seat. Resident Evil 4 is undoubtedly the best game of 2005, and of course the best in the entire RE series.

10/10 stars(personally I would give it 100:P)
  • JimD731 June 2005
    STORY: 5/5: Leon S. Kennedy, four years after participating in the Raccoon City incident, is working for the Secret Service, and his first assignment is protecting the President's daughter, Ashely Graham. The day before he starts, she is kidnapped. Following a possible sighting, Leon is sent to what is apparently a small farming community in Spain. When he arrives, he is attacked by the villagers, and his two police escorts are killed. He must find Ashley, and unravel the mystery behind the village and its mysterious cult.

The length of it is good, as every step of the way uncovers new details and you are never left in an overly long sequence with no plot advancement. I am really surprised the plot was this good.

GAME DESIGN: 25/25: As you go through the plot, you are must go through five chapters, each with a certain number of subchapters. You will travel to three main areas, one of which is the village, one of which is a castle and a third which I will not reveal to you. The levels are somewhat free-roaming, as you can backtrack as you please, but eventually, areas will become cut off to you.

You will encounter many enemies along the way, of course. Don't think you'll ever be lucky enough to be one-on-one, however. Unless it is a boss character, chances are that the whole point of the encounter is to put as many angry villagers (called Ganados) in your path as possible, and make you go insane as you struggle to survive. The game is incredibly effective at making you panic, especially at times when you are inside a small house and surrounded by Ganados busting windows to get in. These are terrifying sequences, and they seem incredibly real.

The boss characters you encounter are very unique. Starting off with a battle with you in a boat, only able to use spears as a giant sea worm charges at you, sends you into driftwood, and opens its gaping jaws as you swim back to your boat, you are automatically given the impression that this game means business. The bosses that follow never quite live up to the uniqueness of that first boss, but still are all fresh and challenging.

Of course, with this many enemies there should be some cool weapons. The weapons are very traditional, which adds to the realism of the game. You will be equipped with pistols, machine guns, shotguns, rifles, magnums, grenades and the occasional rocket launcher, but it is never too far-fetched in terms of weaponry. Granted, you will encounter such odd weapons as the Mine Thrower and the Chicago Typewriter.

To give you due warning, never put down your controller. In the middle of some cinema scenes, a prompt will appear at the bottom of the screen for you to press buttons quickly to avoid death. In fact, one mini-boss battle is fought entirely in a cinema scene. This is exceptionally effective for keeping the gamer on his toes.

For much of the game, you will be with Ashley Graham, and be forced to protect her. If she dies, the game ends just like if you die. You will be only able to command her to 'wait' or 'follow' normally, though occasionally the need for other commands will arise. It is a working system, as anything more would distract from the fast-paced nature of the game. Luckily, before most big battles, you will be able to tell her to hide away in a dumpster, and once you progress further into the game, there will be more and more times where you will not have to worry about her.

The design has few if any flaws. The game is consistently heart-pounding, exciting, eventful and interesting.

PLAY CONTROL: 19/20: The controls for this game are very unique. It is from an over-the-shoulder viewpoint. You cannot move and shoot, but by pressing the right shoulder button, it will zoom in slightly and the control stick will move the gun you are holding. It is tough to explain, but while at first it seems very odd, once you get used to it, it is a wonder why this has never been used before. The only problem is that, because it is over the shoulder, most shots veer to the left. This may add to the realism and panic factors, but at times, it can be very annoying. Overall, fresh and original controls prevail, and this is a great flagship for this setup.

GRAPHICS: 20/20: The graphics are simply stunning. Looking over a village filled with insane residents carrying torches, pitchforks and the occasional chainsaw, is a very hard task to accomplish. It all looks completely real. You can sense the madness these Ganados carry with them just by looking at them. All the creatures look original and incredible. The environment has this kind of washed-out effect to it, and it seems as dreary as it could possibly be. This game is incredible at establishing a mood through the setting.

SOUND: 5/5: I never have much to say about sound, and this is no exception. The sound captures the mood perfectly, and the voice acting is spot on. But a single sound (or lack thereof) in this game can make the hairs on the back of your neck stand straight.

SATISFACTION: 24/25: This is a game that is as good as it gets. The single player is among the best I have ever had the pleasure of playing, and is very replay-able, especially once additional modes are unlocked.

TOTAL: 98%: There is very little wrong with this game. This is the best title there is for the Gamecube right now. Screw Metroid Prime, screw The Wind Waker, screw SSBM. Resident Evil 4 is the best gaming experience I have had since Ocarina of Time.
  • I got this game yesterday, and already it is kicking a lot of ass. The action is already intense, and I know I'm am NO WHERE near the halfway point of the game.

Pros: Just about everything! Graphics, action, and enemy AI have never been better in the resident evil titles. Very few games out there can match the AI and action. The game even has a decent sense of humor, and the game challenges you from the start.

Cons: Saving is still not that easy. Though those annoying, horrendous ink ribbons are finally gone, you still need to find a typewriter to save the game. However, there are several located throughout the game. Like I said, the game challenges you... A LOT. This is one of the hardest games I have, and I own more than my fair share.

Overall, this game is easily the 2005 game of the year. If you have a gamecube and not this game, why? What are you waiting for? If you have a PS2, go out and get this NOW. I said the game was hard, but I, like many others, love a challenge. Though it may seem hasty to submit a comment the day after I get this game and haven't beaten it, this should give you the idea of how great it is.

10/10. Brilliant.
    It is a bold statement to call something the best best ever, but with this I have trouble seeing how it can be topped.

Everything in this game from the story to the graphics to the controls is just perfect. It restored my faith in video games. I bought it being a fan of the series and I must have played it for 6 months without getting bored once. This, unlike the others in the series, is more action based than puzzle based. There are puzzles but it is more focused on the action which brought a fresh approach to the series.

It is also the first that does not actually have zombies in it. You play the game as Leon Kennedy from the 2 game in the series. You have been sent to a remote Spanish village to find the presidents daughter. The plot in this story is great and I don't want to give mush away.

There is a wide variety of weapons at your disposal and you can even upgrade the weapons that you already have, or sell them if you want to by a better one. The controls and camera angles in this game are smooth and make the game a lot better than it's predecessors. The camera instead of being in a changing position, it is fixed behind you.

The soundtrack for this game is amazing in the way that it can scare the hell out of you by building tension.

This is just a fun experience and any gamer would like it. Horror movie fans that don't like video games would probably like this because it makes you feel like you are there.
    Resident Evil 4 in my opinion is the best game ever made, if in any way that you are a Resi fan then you would agree with me, it is nothing like any of the previous titles, it's packed from start to finish with everything a fan could want, Leon Kennedy should go down in history as one of the greatest ever video game characters, and Ada Wong is totally 'smokin' as a computer babe, if only all women were as sultry as her. I loved everything in the game and have yet to complete it on professional, the sub games that you can unlock in it is very playable. The levels of violence in the game is unreal, the guns etc outmatch any of the previous titles, the bad guys are pure evil, and they constantly come at you from all ends, with chainsaws, mini-guns, pitch-forks, knifes and anything else the can land there hands on, the sheer depth of the game is so compelling that I've often wasted days on end playing it, if I am to flaw it then the only thing that I can think of is the fact that you can't buy ammo from the merchants, I've had many a gando chasing me when I've been low on 9mm bullets, but apart from that there is very little that you can fault it on, I actually went out and bought a Game-Cube purely for that game and I can tell you now it has been one of the best investments I've ever had, I don't want to spoil it to much for the people who haven't played it yet but the boss'es in it are awesome and the game-play is one of the most addictive that I'll ever played, Thanks Capcom for truly proving to the world that you guy's still have it and looking forward to RE5...
  • I am a Resident Evil Fan and avid player since the release of the first game, back on 1996 for PlayStation 1. Ever since then I've been playing almost all of them, I can really say that this RE 4 is as good as the previous ones, but a little different.

In the beginning you might miss all those zombies and hunters, the third person view, RPD's officers and STARS members. But as I always say you have to create something new if you want a revolution and RE 4 has done a great leap of revolution to the series. AI of the enemies is better than those zombies, the plot is interesting, the graphics are fantastic (although the widescreen may disturb if you don't have a widescreen TV set), and the PS2 version is filled with extras.

The game is not as hard as I thought, the puzzles are kind of easy in comparsion to the other games and it lost the Survival Horror in some parts because it seems more like an adventure like Caslevania game. But If you wanna play it, it is the longest of all. It took me 18 hours to finish the game for the first time I've played it on the Easy mode! Grade 10!
  • If the first Resident Evil (1996) was the game that defined the modern survival horror genre, then the 2002 REmake was the game that re-affirmed that status. But after six games done in the same style, it became clear that the zombies, static camera angles, tank controls and chronic lack of ammo had become as formulaic as mushrooms and 1-Ups in a Super Mario game. Resident Evil - Code: Veronica had already taken a step in the right direction by making the camera movements more dynamic, but it seemed that more innovation would be welcome to prevent the series from constantly repeating itself. And who better than series creator Shinji Mikami to give his creation a well-deserved polish?

Mikami was bold to abruptly cut the ties with the past, both in form and content (except for a few items such as medicinal herbs). He literally takes the story into new territory by taking us to Europe several years in the future, where Umbrella has all but disappeared, and the T-virus threat has been eliminated. Leon Kennedy, our hero from RE2, is a government agent now, tasked with a secret mission to retrieve the abducted President's daughter Ashley from an unknown religious group. There is also a new pathogen, which means a new deadly threat: no more slow, groaning zombies this time, but quick, agile, intelligent Ganados who can use weapons and coordinate their attacks (as well as sprout lethal appendages). Like the first game, Mikami shows himself the master of effective storytelling with an optimum of narrative tools. He keeps the plot as lean as possible and the game at acceptable length, focussing on action without subplots all over the place, over-the-top twists or drawn-out expositions that some of the previous installments or contemporary games were (in)famous for. It is great to see how the environments seem to tell part of the (back)story, and are almost characters in their own right. The scenery becomes increasingly sinister over time, which perfectly reflects the Inferno-like journey that the story takes, unfolding almost automatically through brief cut-scenes and documents.

RE4 was the big technical revolution for which the GameCube seems to have been invented. Just imagine the graphical splendor of the REmake, only not as statically rendered backgrounds, but in full, glorious 3D. If you're not running for your life, you will admire the great production design, sometimes in all its ugly details. The environments are a mix of indoor and outdoor, varying from large open areas, rustic villages, industrial areas to secluded castles and hospitals, but the difference is that enemies can basically turn up everywhere, and can hunt you down to almost every spot. Quickly getting out of a room doesn't necessarily make you safe, which is emphasized by the lack of opening-door animations (finally, BTW). Although the game's focus on firepower is far more than usual in the series, it is still very unwise to battle the hordes of enemies by firing away in a gung-ho style. Shots must count, and a poor aim may lead to a horrific death by pitchfork, claws or chainsaw, so the survival elements still very much pervade the gameplay. It will also frequently test your nerves; if the constant sense of dread or the unexpected shocks don't get to you, the suspenseful music or Dolby ProLogic sound will. The tension sometimes rises to heights where you hardly dare to continue.

With this abrupt change in gameplay, the ability to control your aim is not only welcome, but very necessary. Some fans say that RE4 was the game that turned survival horror into a dumbed-down shoot 'm up, but I say that it signaled the birth of a new genre: the survival shooter. The legacy of RE4 cannot be overstated: over-the-shoulder camera angles and third-person aiming are now the staples of many other games. And with good reason, because this system just works superbly. The lack of a 'lock-on' system could have been annoying, but free aiming makes hitting a moving enemy not only immensely satisfying, it also invites a lot of experimentation in aiming for certain body parts. Finding out how to most effectively kill or incapacitate enemies, or discovering creative ways to take on some of the larger monsters feels disturbingly good. The Wii version, with its WiiMote aiming, definitely offered the best shooting experience of all the versions I have played.

RE4 was also one of the first games where the gameplay continued well into the cut-scenes. These Quick Time Events prompt the player to press a combination of buttons in order to perform the correct action. This game still uses them in the right way, i.e. sparingly, at opportune moments and with usually enough time to respond, without overrelying on them or frustrating the player like RE5 did. This challenge largely compensates for the absence of real puzzles in the game. Where the previous entries would often test the player's creativity in manipulating found objects to gain access to new areas (sometimes in narratively illogical ways, though), RE4 eliminates most of these challenges. There are still enough fetch-quests, but the game will automatically suggest which item to use at the correct location. A better improvement is the ability to collect money and valuables, which can be exchanged for weapons and helpful objects, making thorough exploration of areas a worthwhile undertaking. Additionally, you can now manage your inventory space and acquire more of it, giving the player more control of collected items (a helpful innovation that was sadly ditched already in RE5).

Are there no downsides then? Sure, but they're almost negligable. As the story progresses, Mikami's tricks tend to become a bit predictable, and the set-up of certain areas (lots of ammo and deathly obstacles around) will already betray what trouble you can expect; the plot is not without its fair share of holes (e.g. if Leon is such a threat, why do they leave him running around all the time?); escorting Ashley to safety can be a drag sometimes (especially if she acts completely helpless and uncooperative), and the Cockney merchant guy whom you can buy stuff from is a bit out of place. Much has been said about the choice to port the game to the PS2, which took a bit away from its grandeur, but I think this is the type of art that should be available to as many gamers as possible. And that version also gave us some great additional content, like the Ada Wong scenario, 'Separate Ways'.

It rarely happens that a sequel completely changes the course of the series, and then becomes the best part of that series, but I am willing to make a case for it here. RE4 managed to re-invigorate the genre by taking its strengths and eliminating its frustrating elements, making for one hell of a scary, exiting and satisfying trip to Hell. I already lost count on the number of replays, and I am still not done yet.
  • When this game first came out, I was really interested in playing it. But I wasn't able to play it until last year when I beat the whole game. Here are my thoughts on it. I loved every bit of it, it was one very addictive game and I couldn't stop playing it. It had a creepy atmosphere, but to me, this wasn't a scary game, even the Regenerators weren't scary to me. I heard and read many reviews calling this game scary, but my advice, everyone is different, it may be scary for some players, but not all players will say this is scary. I highly recommend this game if you want a good scare or a creepy but fun atmosphere. I love the Resident Evil series and this was by far their best. Hope they continue making excellent games like this in the future.

Well, there is my thoughts on this, so my overall score on this game is 10 out of 10 and here's why? 1) Excellent story, which added more to the suspense. The thought of someone being kidnapped by a mysterious cult like this is creepy, and their motives are revealed until you start playing the game. 2) The music, which makes the game even creepier. Music is what adds emotions to a story. When music is creepy like the one is this game, it adds more to the creepy atmosphere 3) The characters were great, especially Ashley who serves as a playable character in certain parts of the game and as the story's damsel in distress. 4) The Graphics, despite this being a 2005 video game, the graphics were really good and made the game look a lot better.

In the end, this game was really well made and could be a scary game for certain players, but for some, it's not scary. I really enjoyed this game and would play it again. If you played the newer Resident Evil games and haven't tried this yet, I suggest you try this game, it's really worth the money and the time. My best advice for people who are trying this game for the first time, play this game at a slow pace, it gives you the advantage to explore areas for weapons, treasures, or just clearing enemies
  • The Nintendo GameCube wasn't the best console in the 6th generation of Consoles, but damn it had some good exclusives...Resident Evil 4 was one of them...until it was Ported to the Ps2 and Wii, then it wasn't so exclusive, but it was one of gamecube's best, right along SSB: mêlée and Zelda; Twilight Princess.

It's a simple Damsel in distress story. You play Leon Kennedy, a man who was so good, he got Promoted to the U.S. Agency on the first day of being a police officer. In 1998, he helped clean up the mess in Resident evil 2, now 6 years have passed. the president's daughter, Ashley Graham, has gone missing, but has been spotted in one of the darkest, hell-like places of Europe. It's up to Leon Kennedy to bring her home safe and sound.

i've only played this game for 2 days and I can honestly say this is probably the most realistically gory game I have ever played. there are scenes where the hero can be decapitated by crazy chainsaw guys, and he can also be eaten alive by a creature in a lake. also, he can blast the zombies into pieces, particularly the head. there is also some coarse language throughout the game, but it's nothing to have a cow over. as for the sexual content of the game, there is very little, other than a few sexist comments.

Bottom line, I'm going to recommend this game, but not for the little ones. it's way too violent and gruesome. I'm also not going to recommend it for the faint of heart, due to the excessive blood splatter. If you're old enough, this game needs to be in your library.

• Think back to the first zombie you ever faced in a video game. Think about the panic where you thought "The knife, or the gun, maybe I'll just kick him out of the way and run, or try to slow him down" all the while a zombie creeping his way to you, and your impending doom closed in on you, because it was a game - and of course you couldn't think outside the box.

Those days are over.

Resident Evil 4 sports a plethora of all new tricks that together make for the most intense action possible in the survival horror universe. Often you'll find yourself pitted against a swarm of intelligent beings that are as cunning as they are ruthlessly brutal. I cannot stress the new intensity the game has taken on, where enemies are no longer mindless drones, but intelligent calculating beings. From the get go you'll realize these enemies are not to be trifled with. Luckily, the games combat system is the most dynamic for a survival horror game to date. The enemies will try to climb, break through and scale any obstacle you put forth but you can also throw wrenches here and there, dropping ladders, using your surroundings and even use traps against the ones who placed them.

Leon, who makes a triumphant return for our older fans, is no longer the clunky form he was in re2. Leon can run, jump through windows, aim with pin-point accuracy (thanks to a new laser sight), and even at the right moment roundhouse an unsuspecting opponent. The aiming system has gone through a vast change, and now leg shots, body shots and headshots are now hit sensitive, appropriately allocating damage. It gets better, a head shot will stun or even potentially kill an opponent, a leg shot will fell a running opponent, and a well placed shot might even disarm an opponent should you choose to show off a bit (or show that kamikaze dynamite wielder what happens when he plays with fire). Leon also utilizes a vast arsenal of handguns, rifles, shotguns, and various grenades. These tools may seem like overkill, but you'll soon find yourself wielding every one of them to survive without a second thought as ammo, intensity, and utility keep you guessing on which one is gonna make or break you.

The games control on both GC and PS2 are similar, but it seems the GC version is what the games more designed for. So do the graphics it seems, the PS2 is noticeably the lesser of the two, but only to the keen eye. Having played through both you'll notice it, but it is no way a detriment to the game. The PS2 version however boasts new modes, new unlockables, and some additional content that's unavailable to GC users which makes the PS2 version a must have for storyline enthusiasts.

The storyline isn't as enticing as it could be, but the story really comes in when your telling your friends about the time you kicked open a door, only to find a chainsaw wielding maniac waiting patiently on the other side. You won't be so stimulated by Leons story, as you will be drawn into the adrenaline rush you get kicking down ladders, barricading doors and running that last stand till the better end.

All tied up in one neat package, Resident Evil 4 sports tons of innovative ideas and single handedly brings the glory back to the original kings of survival horror. Don't miss this one.
  • The President's daughter has been kidnapped. A disease called "Las Plagas" is spreading through various people, who are known as "The Villagers." So what do you do? Pick up the controller and start kicking some zombie's @$$! Resident Evil Four is the fourth game in a long line of games, and most likely the best. I haven't played the previous ones, but I think this one many awards and high ranking by the video game critics.

Unlike most shooting games, Resident Evil 4 is in 3rd-person, and supports a different kind of control system. You use the analog stick to see where you are going instead of the camera. So, the camera doesn't work as well as it does in other games. In Resident Evil 4, the camera is mostly used to peer over corners and look down ledges and other stuff like that. Instead of just running around and shooting, you hold R, and use A to shoot, B to reload and the analog stick to move. Of course, this means you can't run and shoot at the same time, but perhaps that's the only way to support a 3rd-person shooter. Your knife works the same way, except you press L and can't reload. Y and Z are only used to quickly access your map and inventory. X and A only work at certain moments. Holding B allows you to run. The controls aren't used to their full potential, but they are a bit different than the normal controller clichés.

However, the controls allow some interesting techniques, while fighting off your enemies. If you shoot them in the head with something weak, such as a pistol, than you may be able to approach them and press A to kick them. If you manage to get your enemies on their knees (This is usually accomplished by shooting and slashing several times.) you can "Suplex" them, which means throwing them and smashing their heads. Oh, and if you want to save ammo, you shoot the foe multiple times with the pistol, until they fall over onto the ground. Then you can just slash away with your knife.

Like most adventure-shooting games, you can buy weapons. Whenever you see a blue flame, you should run over it, and visit the zombie there. Of course, he doesn't threaten you (Don't shoot him!) and sells you weapons instead. You can buy upgrades for your weapons, and then sell them when the advanced version arrives. (For example, the Riot Gun is about the same as a Shotgun, except it has faster firing.) Don't worry about upgrading too much. You can get your money back if you sell the weapon.

I just wish you can buy ammo from the merchant. I went through long parts of the game without getting much ammo for my weapons, when I needed them most.

Resident Evil 4 has some decent variety. You can ride bulldozers, wander mazes and jump off of rooftops. Of course, most of the difficulty comes from fighting off numerous zombies and solving puzzles. The puzzles are pretty hard, so thank God you don't have to do them very often. Now, fighting off zombies can get repetitive, but it is saved by variety. For example, you can use your pistol for taking out individuals, and then using a shotgun or grenades for fighting off crowds.

Too bad the boss fights don't really live up. Usually Leon is degraded to shooting a spot, which triggers another weak spot, and you do that over and over again. There are some good ones, such as Verdugo and "It," but the rest aren't too fun.

Everybody knows that Resident Evil 4 is a zombie game. Many zombie movies are thrillers and horrors. Resident Evil 4 makes both a thriller and a horror. There is some times when you're fighting bosses or chainsaw maniacs that can easily kill you. You just want to get the hell away from them. These moments are especially devilishly thrilling. As for being a horror, there are some fairly scary parts. The screaming chainsaw maniacs that can easily decapitate you and the Iron Maidens that walk slowly and make creepy sounds may give you a good scare or two. I just don't find the zombies with guns and maces very scary, because "primitive" zombies seem to be creepier.

The game gets difficult at times, but never too difficult. (I think it may be because I was using a strategy guide.) Although the enemies pile on, you never get too frustrated or spend too long at one part. (It gets pretty annoying though.) Even if you do whiz through it pretty easily, there is still a second disk to get through.

And, for those of you who take a liking to Ashley, (The President's daughter) you may be glad to know that if you climb up a ladder, or onto a rooftop, you can jump off and maneuver underneath her. Then, you can press R and look up. Ashley will say "Oh! You pervert!" or "What are you looking at?" Somehow, I always find it funny. If you enjoy this, you may want to keep doing it during the beginning of the game, because she gets captured… a lot. However, if you are mad at a bunch of pixels for calling you a pervert, you can run away from Ashley, and hear her call and cry for help. Of course you can't kill her or leave her behind, because you will get a "Game Over." Ph, and once you beat the game, and play it the second time, you can get a new outfit for her.

The game has many flaws, (Controls, repetitiveness, gore) but also many redeeming qualities. (Unique-ness, Ashley, addictiveness, length) Don't forget the extras at the end. Once you get used to the gore and controls, Resident Evil 4 will give you hours of fun.

8.5/10
    This is the first review I have written for a video game. I have been a gamer for a long time and loved the original Resident Evil but lost touch with the series after it left PS1. It was only be a brief trial that I was introduced to the astonishing Resident Evil 4. This is the greatest game I have ever played, hands down. Graphically amazing, storyline captivating and game play is absolutely unique and cutting edge.

The story revolves around former Raccoon City Police Office Leon Kennedy. He was hired as secret service protection for the President's daughter but before he took over the post Ashley was kidnapped. Now he finds himself somewhere in Europe searching for the girl. He is dropped in a small village where he quickly discovers the villagers will do anything they can to kill him and keep Ashley for themselves. The villagers who are part of a strange religion known as the Los Illuminados have been infected with a parasite that is controlling them. They aren't zombies but rather deadly humanoids.

The first thing you discover having played the other Resident Evil's is that the rules have changed dramatically. No more are you being chased by slow moving, rather stupid zombies but fast moving, quick thinking humans who will read your every move and not give you minute to breath. The A.I. in this game is mind blowing, the best I have ever seen. The weapons are kick butt and the ammo is plentiful for the main weapons which makes blowing these suckers away amazing fun.

Capcom has gotten rid of the annoyingly hard puzzles and replaced them with common sense riddles that are easy enough to figure out with a bit of thought. Despite the fact the game is massive and the paths are plenty, you never get lost and you can always figure out the right way to go so time is not wasted wandering wondering what to do next. The graphics and the setting of this game are rugged and beautiful and set the most haunting tone and through out the entire game the setting changes so much that you never get tired of what you're seeing. Each area is unique and interesting in it's own way. Village, churches, graveyards, underground caverns, campsites, mountains....on and on and on. The boss battles are TOUGH!! Despite every reviewer I read who said the battles were easy, I struggled through them and they were still jaw dropping and fun. The game got unbelievably hard on the second disk. It took me almost 2 weeks to defeat one enemy and the last boss took me awhile as well but it was well worth it. This game is a must have for any Gamecube owner. Granted I got a little frustrated, my beautiful, and patient, girlfriend will attest to the fact that I had a few words for several of the boss characters and I admit to chucking my controller more than once but I survived and so did Leon. Go out and check this game out, you won't be disappointed. Please bring on the next chapter Capcom!! 10/10
  • So, the long awaited sequel to Resident Evil 3 is finally upon us - and it certainly is the treat that it promised to be. I have to admit, in the build up to the release of this game, I was worried. I was hearing all sorts of rumours, from this being more like Devil May Cry than previous Resident Evil games, to the complete dropping of the staple Resident Evil monster - the zombie. However, I knew that Capcom weren't a gaming company that is in the habit of letting me down, so I decided to pass these ridiculous rumours off as hearsay, and therefore false. Imagine my surprise then when they turned out to be true, and imagine my increased surprise when they actually turned out to be worthy changes! The loss of the zombies, for example, is a big loss; but their replacement - mad villagers, is definitely a worthy one and it makes for a very nice change! In fact, all of the monsters in the game are brilliantly designed and help to make the game even more of a pleasure to play. The gigantic bi-pods, for example, are a particular highlight; as are the very odd 'regenerators' that come complete with their own unique and ingenious method of dispatch!

One thing I really love about this game is the amount of movie tributes that it has in it. From The Evil Dead style camera towards the beginning, to the King Kong-esquire way the giant monster is introduced, all the way down to the Night of the Living Dead shootout in an old abandoned hut - the game is a treasure indeed! The choice of lead character - Leon Kennedy - wasn't the best idea in my opinion. While I have nothing against the guy, Leon has always struck me as one of Capcom's less interesting creations and I would much rather have followed the escapades of Barry Burton or Leon's Resident Evil 2 co-star Claire Redfield than Mr Kennedy...but never mind. The story is entirely different from anything we've seen in Resident Evil before, but it actually serves the game quite well and it's always interesting enough to keep you hooked. The way that the Capcom have opted to change to a more arcade style adventure than previous games represents a change for the worse, as it makes the game far too easy and cuts out many of the staples of the series - things such as backtracking and the great feeling you get when you find that all important green herb or another case of handgun bullets. Now you always know that there's more items just around the corner and you don't really feel the same fear that previous games instilled so well.

However, despite it's major flaw, Capcom have once again succeeded in creating a magnificent gaming experience. While Resident Evil 4 isn't as gripping or as difficult as it's earlier counterparts, this is still a great video game and a prime reason for owning a Gamecube. Highly recommended!
    Six years have passed since the Umbrella Corporation released the T-Virus into the small town of Raccoon City and turned almost the entire population in flesh-eating zombies. Leon Kennedy, one of the survivors has risen from ordinary cop to a special agent in charge of VIP security. When the President's daughter is kidnapped by a deranged evil cult in rural France he must do whatever it takes to get her back. What he discovers is a conspiracy that makes the T-Virus outbreak look like a 70s episode of Blue Peter.

For the next several hours you'll run through zillions of different environments blasting as mad villagers and collecting gold. The more gold you collect the better weapons you can buy from the creepy merchant who shows up throughout every level. Yes, it all looks very pretty. But it's increasingly tedious stuff.

Let me just say that I loved Resident Evil (the Gamecube remake) and I thought that Resident Evil Zero was quite a lot of fun too. While Resident Evil 4 is an improvement in terms of graphics and hardware it doesn't have any atmosphere or the overwhelming sensation of dread and fear. This is basically down to the style of gameplay.

Gone are the spooky camera angles for a start. Instead, this time the camera is constantly behind Leon, following him in whatever direction he goes. It's a bit tricky at first but after a few minutes you'll get the hang of it. Also, the game is not really about exploration and mystery solving and you never really go back to the same place twice. Okay, this is a good thing in some ways as it did get a little annoying before (the 'door-opening' cut-scenes are also gone) and I understand the gameplay of the franchise had to evolve but, the way it is, RE 4 just feels like a shoot-em-up.

In your long, long journey (the game is absolutely MASSIVE) Leon visits a rickety European village that seems stuck in the dark ages, onto an old castle, then to a creepy island and on into a huge fortress and laboratory. In this respect it feels a LOT like a Dungeon Siege game in regards to the constant running around in torch-lit catacombs, killing big insects, collecting treasures, trading/building up your stats and weapons and looking for that way out which seems to be miles away through endless, labyrinthine corridors.

All you really do in this game is go forward and shoot. And it gets quite boring after the halfway mark. There is some very slight puzzle-solving but I suspect this was only put in to satisfy hardcore RE fans. And what really gets on my nerves is the stupidness of it all. The RE games are notorious for having extremely convoluted plots but the story in this one will have you tying your brain in knots. And why the hell does Leon battle 20-foot tall ogres? Is this a Lord of the Rings game? The realism of the first games is absent and with it goes the sense of gut-wrenching tension. You know this game is just fantasy hokum whereas before the sense that it all could happen is what made the zombies all the more terrifying.

A s***load of homages and references to other movies are peppered through the game. Try to spot references to Splatterhouse, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, hell…even Harry Potter. All interesting but still totally inappropriate for an RE game.

There are plenty of pros, like the previously mentioned brilliant graphics, the sheer size of the game is impressive, the cool extras and mini-games awarded after finishing (I did it in 15 hours and I WON'T be going through it again) and faster loading times. But the boredom of killing the zillionth evil henchman and his twin really gets mind-numbingly dull after hour 10.

I finished this in 6 days (the original and Zero took me much longer) so I suggest you rent this if you're not the obsessive RE collector type. While it is a great-looking game and very slick, it just didn't keep me as thrilled (or as scared) as it could have.

Graphics 10/10 Absolutely wonderful. The RE games on the Gamecube have always looked brilliant but it's hard to find better looking games than this. The environments and locations are all so vividly detailed it would be scary if the game were not so corny.

Sound 9/10 Again, almost perfect. But I would have had more satisfaction is blowing the heads of freaks off if the gunshots were louder and more dynamic. The musical score comes and goes and it's nothing special but if you've got it hooked up to a home theatre the best thing is hearing those freaks creep up behind you.

Extras 7/10 As with the previous games, the faster you finish the game, the better extras you will unlock. Mini games, special costumes, heavy artillery, hidden treasures and bottle caps are but some of the goodies awaiting you.

Final Thoughts I am disappointed that the game doesn't live up to it's predecessors. I understand a 4th in a series must be radically new and different but this feels too far removed from the original games and the outlandish plot connections seem false and forced. A decent shoot-em-up for a once around only. Despite the bonus unlockables, it was too derivative for me to come back.

The PS2 version is also available in a metal case.
    Well, wasn't Resident Evil 4 a total surprise? Capcom effectively published a game in a genre completely different from its predecessors, and it was even counted as a canonical sequel and not a mere spin off. The zombies were given brains, speed and weapons (and don't try to claim that the Ganados are not zombies at all, the lack of free will, relentless aggression and horde instincts fit the zombie criteria, even if they are fast and tricky little zombies), the player was provided more than enough provisions in firearms and first aid to wage war on the enemy masses, and the pace was amped to breakneck speeds. This was rather like when Halloween 3 came out, where the setting, characters and slasher monster were all replaced. It took guts from Capcom, and unlike Halloween 3 it really paid off.

The gameplay is much more action-oriented than the previous Resident Evils, where you actually take aim at the monsters and manouver through the environment to avoid the enemy. When shooting, the camera angle moves behind the player's shoulder as he lifts his gun up, and a little laser sight appears which can be moved to guide where the player shoots. This is a very original way of shooting and I can see it being used more often in future games. However, because it takes a moment to get into firing position (where the player freezes in place to take aim and is unable to move) and then draw a bead on the enemy, the gameplay does not support enemies which are very mobile nor enemies with ranged attacks.

Some enemies still attack very fast and occasionally some other threat occurs which needs fast reflexes which the player alone couldn't answer to. However, the game has a fun way of prompting you to press a small combo of buttons to dodge, which lead to the player automatically leaping to the side or parrying a blow or such. This reminds me most, odd as it is, of Dance Dance Revolution-type games, where you have to press the right buttons at the right time. Many people complain about it being an unnecessary evil, but I think it adds a fun element to fights, not to mention an action-movie coolness feel which would be impossible in conventional games.

Speaking of the action-move atmosphere, the surroundings are not static anymore and can be used to your advantage. Stuff like luring the violent villagers into their own traps, jumping out of windows to escape a crowded room (complete with cheesy commando roll on the ground) and knocking ladders down are all ways of maximising your chances against the brutal gauntlet of foes. Heck, even the foes themselves can be quickly dispatched with some fancier tricks than just shooting them dead, like shooting the dynamite guy's arm to drop the bundle of joy, or meléeing staggering enemies. Try shooting the later Ganados in the game and meléeing them to see Leon show off his pro wrestling skills!

There aren't a lot of different foes, but that's alright, because the varied gang of homicidal villagers, monks and soldiers are quite a challenge. They'll use tactics to dodge around, they'll come out from all directions and they'll be packing an arsenal of painful death in the form of farming tools, medieval weaponry and the classic chainsaw of insta-death goreness. The player's set of weapons is also very impressive, even if a bit conventional, and can be customised for maximum punishment.

The storyline is a bit of a weak-point. Leon Kennedy, the rugged cop from Resident Evil 2, is out to save the president's kidnapped daughter from some religious nutjobs in Spain. Turns out that a horrible plague has turned the locals a bit homicidal, not to mention mutated. It's no T-Virus, but it's just another scientific deus ex machine to create a horde of mindless killers. Leon runs the gauntlet of levels picking off the main bad guys one by one, all the while trying to escape with the girl. Although the gameplay is radically different, it's the same old Resident Evil, and the dialogue is just as wooden. I must say, though, the various characters were charming in their ways. The wicked little man suffering from progeria and his pair of hulking bodyguards hidden in Gothic robes were my favorites (fun fact: Mr. Salazar refers to the chap who always stands on his left side as his right hand man). In true Resident Evil fashion, the main bad guys mutate into horrible killing machines in a terribly gory way after giving their egotistical and scoffy spiel.

Don't get me wrong, I still pine for a classic Resident Evil with blocky controls, supply-saving and fixed camera angles. But Resident Evil 4 is still an excellent game and a feather in Capcom's hat. It's quite worthy of joining the ranks of the other parts of the series. Here's to the creepy merchant fellow making future appearances just for the heck of it!
  • beachbum-7529 September 2006
    A brilliant example to what we all have been wishing the previous resident evils were like! And for those people who had to keep restarting the previous ones due to misuse of Ammo and herbs, well this game has plenty of them both! In fact, the game kinda encourages a little trigger happy! Shot birds, shot nests, shot flying axes! If your laser aim falls on it... BLOW IT AWAY! Plus the game offers some really cool extras after your done with the story. But like some people say, something is missing. I think that it's, due to the intensity of the battles, the absence of an evade(duck, dive, dodge) other then just 180 and running. That worked for the other REs, but this one is more of a shooter then those were. Also a little more choice in the path u take to finish would really add to the overall score. Other then that, best game I played all year!
  • angie291121 June 2006
    An absolutely awesome game. The best game EVER for the Nintendo Gamecube (in my humble opinion). Flawless graphics, ambiance and game play. Atmospherically it can't be put into words. Forget everything you ever knew about previous Resident Evil titles, this is something entirely different. No two dimensional game play, no annoying problems with clunky character movement, this time you get to go where you point your controller. I personally didn't enjoy the other Resident Evil titles primarily because of the controls even though I loved the genre and concept. These problems have been rectified and there is absolutely NOTHING I would change about this game. It is, quite simply, a masterpiece.

Perfection. Capcom have surpassed themselves, and I can't wait for the next episode. R.E 4 is STILL the best game ever (updated 2009)
  • And the reason why Dragon's Lair is not emulated that much as a game is because, to be quite frank, it sucked. If one had the time and inclination, one could train a retarded monkey to complete the game, such was the nature of the repetitive sequenced actions required to pass an area. I say this because while Resident Evil 4 marks such a dramatic improvement over episodes one through Code Veronica in terms of gameplay where the adventures are concerned, it all comes crashing down when Capcom decides to introduce a Dragon's Lair-style button mashing puzzle. These sequences ruin the mood so badly at times that I stopped wanting to play towards the end of the first chapter. Which is a crying shame, given how much went into other aspects. Adding insult to injury was that Capcom was informed long ago of how disruptive this element was to gameplay, and they still let it occur in the PlayStation 2 port. To call this a slap in the face, given all the other elements that were tweaked, is redundant.

I will start with the good news, since I have no wish to spend the entire review bemoaning a single aspect. I could probably fill an epic novel with all the reviews that have bemoaned the same-old feel of the countless other Resident Evil episodes. The problem here is rather than giving Capcom kudos for giving Resident Evil 4 a new look and feel, one is inclined to ask them what on Earth took them so long. Possibly the best alteration to the game is a whole new way of moving and aiming. For the first time ever in a Resident Evil game, the characters move like real people. Every turn or twist feels fluid. And the difference this makes when aiming a weapon is almost indescribable. Now, it makes a real difference where a shot lands. No longer is it a case of simply pointing your Magnum in the right direction and pulling the trigger. The part of the enemy body one happens to be pointing the Magnum at makes a very big difference. Veterans of the old Resident Evil games are going to experience a great deal of culture shock.

Also gone are the old static camera positions that were a source of endless frustration. It is either a harsh indictment on the old system or a testament to the new system that one can navigate through complex systems of traps and obstacles without wanting to throw something at the screen. Unfortunately, Capcom also take the game too far in the direction of emulating Tomb Raider and Dragon's Lair. The player is frequently called upon to wiggle sticks or mash buttons in patterns that are displayed on the screen, and many a screaming match is had at the television when confusion turns into the need to repeat old actions over and over. My summary pretty much says it all. While most of Resident Evil 4 is a big leap into the future from a franchise that has been needing to do so for the best part of a decade, sequences like these represent a massive leap backwards into a time I can only assume the development staff were born after.

Another massive leap forward is the weapons system. Although the system by which weapons are tailored is as ridiculous as can be, RE4 offers a previously begged-for level of weapon customisation. Statistics freaks like myself will be rapt in the level of customisations that RE4 allows for weapons. The effect is somewhat like developing a character in a role-playing game, except the results are somewhat more tangible in a cause and effect sense. After spending huge amounts upon upgrades to the Magnum equivalent, it is fun to just point one's pistol and pull the trigger, laughing at the ridiculous simulations of bullet impacts. I still find it hilarious that Capcom believe a pistol can knock enemies numerous feet through the air without doing the same to its wielder. On the more realistic end, stocks can be added to stabilise repetitive fire, or scopes can be added to fine-tune one's aim. About the only desired customisation that is missing would be a silencer, and usually when the Ganados are alerted to your presence, they oblige by repaying the favour. The more things change...

Unfortunately, it is hard to recommend Resident Evil 4 even to major fans of the series. One choice sequence has the player literally sprinting away from a statue of one of the game's main villains, but somehow we are expected to pound one button as fast as we can whilst inputting sequences of shoulder buttons. Capcom must have thought this would excite the player. It is annoying, especially when you have muscular problems in your forearms. The old saying applies here - if you have a choice between making a shorter game or extending it by inserting these kinds of sequences, the shorter game is the better choice. It is mind-boggling to think that a company with as much experience in the industry as Capcom could have honestly thought this would be a good idea. Surely the fact that Dragon's Lair was a commercial failure and its gameplay style dropped off the radar entirely until now could not have escaped Capcom's notice. In fact, the more I play through these "hit buttons in less than half a second or die" sequences, the more I hate this game.

It was a good attempt to update an ailing franchise, and the press has verbally catered to Capcom's every whim because of it, but the reality is that Resident Evil 4 is just too damned frustrating to be any fun. It is a seven out of ten at best. Capcom, if you are indeed serious about making a Resident Evil 5, then for heaven's sake quit it with the Dragon's Lair flashbacks. In fact, reissue RE4 without them and you'll gain a lot of positive PR.
  • I remember when i first played this game... My friend brought it over to my house one night and we shut all the lights off and started playing it... It wasn't so creepy at the start but it got really horrifying, especially after i bought the game and had to fight the regenerators at the end... Those scared me to death especially since i had to get a special weapon to kill them. The puzzles are pretty addicting, and the graphics are sweet, and the bonus game "The mercenaries" is fun especially since your allowed to play as Krauser and mutate his arm to destroy everyone. That kicks ass... But the best part would have to be the boss fights, such as the final one, which i don't feel like saying.