User Reviews (100)

• C.R.A.Z.Y. is simply one of the best movies of all time. It encapsulates a time and a place – Quebec in the sixties, seventies and eighties and evokes the era with an amazing sound track and jaw-dropping acting. You're there, in the moment with Gervais, played by Michel Côté who is the macho factory-working Dad.

He's the proud father of five sons but gradually realizes that one of them is a 'sissy' and takes this on personally in the jock world he inhabits. The father is a fully rounded character, not cast in the black and white mold so prevalent in other movies of this genre as his puzzled love for his fourth son Zac, played by Marc-André Grondin, is palpable.

The movie takes off in completely unexpected directions. Zac is totally uncomfortable with his sexuality and prays all the time for a 'cure'. He just wants to be like his brothers and earn the love and acceptance of his father. It is telling that for Gervais, he can accept his druggie son but not the one he suspects of being a 'fairy'.

There is a huge amount of humour in the movie, one scene in the cathedral with the boys' choir singing "Sympathy for the Devil" brought a joyful laughter to the audience I was in. It is that kind of movie. Gervais sings Charles Aznevour's hits with predicable regularity and has a thing for Patsy Cline and her music.

It is the era when everything was changing and insular Quebec, like the rest of the world, was being exposed to the outside world of David Bowie and Jefferson Airplane. Zac embraces all of these changes and struggles with his orientation.

Nothing is ever graphically portrayed, the plot is character driven all the way with incredible little sidelines and sidebars thrown in to add to the concoction. (One scene of a drunken brawl played to a beautiful opera piece comes to mind.)

Danielle Proulx, who portrays the mother, does not have much dialogue (typical of the era) but when she does speak it packs a wallop. She has a wonderful scene with Gervais where they discuss anal sex and a couple of others where her psychic ties to her son Zac are evident but never discussed.

The film just gets under your skin, you are there, in that microcosm of time when the world was changing so drastically and we just didn't know it. 9 out of 10. Take a bow Jean-Marc Vallée; you have an absolutely amazing talent! Bravo to the entire cast and crew. Movies are a pleasure when they're this special, and yes, I would see it again.
  • As it has been said by others, this by all standards, not just as far French Canadian movies go, is a good movie. As somebody who grew up in Québec City I really appreciated how this movie really shows an intimate portrait of Quebec culture with all of its contradictions and beauty.

It showed how being an island of French in a sea of English does have an effect but that there is a definite Québecois culture which definitely bleeds into and mixes in with pop culture. For example the main character a young boy who is deeply conflicted with his sexuality is told he has the ability to heal people just by thinking of them if they are hurt...something which is uniquely Quebecois "old wives tale" The movie spans 2 decades or so, and the recreation of those decades from the house decor, to the music is really well done. The sound track shows in equal weights great Quebec classics along side such rock legends of the time of Pink Floyd and David Bowie.

The movie is great not because of a complicated twisty plot but rather really well acted and created characters. A very touching portrait of family life that can be appreciated not by just someone from that culture but supersedes cultural boundaries.
  • To say it bluntly, it is to my advice the best Quebec movie ever made, and from a more global perspective a very good movie no matter what you choose to compare it to.

It is a story about a young homosexual (although it isn't clearly stated in the film, and it probably would be closer to the truth to say he's bisexual), born in the 60's. We see him evolving through the next three decades, with all the difficulties one might see in having troubles with sexual orientation in theses years (among which the perception of other people of his age, questions about himself because of the taboo nature of the topic, problems having it accepted by parents and so on).

There's many things that make me to say it's the best Quebec-made movie ever. First of all, it's actually quite different from anything else to come from Quebec, as far as I can think of it. This is quite surprising, since almost all the action takes place in this province. It's far more dramatic and emotional than anything else before (maybe saved Sur le Seuil which was more tragic). Besides, Quebec has always produced a lot of humor-oriented movies (les Boys, Quebec-Montreal, etc), which do have some charm but also feel like they have all been made out of the same recipe, Quebec humor being one of a kind. It's also successful in not falling into traditional clichés of Quebec society in a given period of time (a thing that Séraphin, for example, failed to do), but at the same time depicting quite accurately what life was like at the time. It's also successful in incorporating a very diversified soundtrack, using both songs from Quebec and American cultures. That lacked in many films, although in reality you actually get both pretty much equally. To be able to recognize this and deal with it is worth being recognized. The casting is also pretty strong, in part because of the performances of the actors but also because there are some new faces in it. Another annoying tendency in movies made in Quebec is that often see the same faces over and over again.

If you put it in a larger frame, it is still a must see that I believe will get it's fair share of attention and prices outside the province. That's a thing that the Invasions Barbares did, but other than that it's hard to think of much more. The song track, besides being very good, is also brilliantly used. For example, the music Zac listens to is very representative of theses decades (you get Pink Floyd, David Bowie) and evolves with the character, and is also used to create some insides between the characters (like Hier encore j'avais 20 ans, that is sung every Christmas). The three main antagonists in the movie (Zac, his brother Raymond and his father) have developed relationships with each other that are by no mean static, and in fact no even always antagonistic. Even though the story is told from Zac's perspective, he's far from flawless, as all the other characters, except maybe for the mother, who's more than often the neutral, moderated one in the many conflicts that arise. Some dialogs are actually quite funny (like the one about sodomy between Zac's father and his wife, in which Michel Côté shows he's a damn good actor).

Finally, I would say that the movie is also successful in not using easy clichés when it comes to homosexuality. Many movies got fucked up when it came to that topic, but this one doesn't. As I said before, Zac is supposedly homosexual, although it's never clearly stated and he might also just be bisexual. You don't get any real dirty stuff. The conservatives point of view on the matter are mentioned (by his fathers, among others), but aren't overwhelmingly present either. The movie is well-balanced.
  • Tell you what, if C.R.A.Z.Y. doesn't win the all the Geminis (the Oscars in Canada) it deserves, and doesn't get at least a nomination for the Academy Award for best foreign language film, there's something seriously wrong. This emotional roller-coaster, which I had the opportunity to see this year at the Vancouver International Film Festival is WONDERFUL! The director has blended together a gay coming-of-age story that is not exclusive to gay audiences, anyone can see this and relate to the family functions and dysfunctions on view here. The acting, everyone from Emile Vallee who plays the young Zach (actually the director's son) to a awesome performance by Michel Cote as the father of the family, is also wonderful. This movie had me in tears.. TEARS! at the end of it. How often can I say that happens? Hardly ever! Finally, like Dear Wendy, the other movie I liked during this festival (though no one else I talk to seems to like it hmmm..) the meaning of the title is JUST too precious to spoil for you. You'll probably figure it out by the movie's end. I'm asking, no, BEGGING, everyone to see this.
  • This is an outstanding film. Quebec cinema is a hidden gem in North America and C.R.A.Z.Y. shines like a diamond among the lumps of coal put out by the big name studios in the U.S. Jean-Marc Vallée (director) proves that you do not need mega-bucks to make a quality film (C.R.A.Z.Y. cost 7 million dollars to produce). The acting is outstanding and it must have been a pleasure for the cast to work with such a great script and story. To call this a coming of age story or a coming out story would be selling it short. This is a film about family dynamics and it works on so many levels it is unfair and impossible to pigeon hole this film. Being an ex-patriot ( I am from the U.S. but now live in Montreal) I hope this films gets some play in the U.S. as it is too good to be missed. If it does not wait for it on IFC, Sundance or on DVD and see it then. Bravo to Jean-Marc Vallée and the cast and crew of this film...Outstanding work!
    As exhilarating as The Barbarian Invasions and as audaciously inventive as Leolo, Quebecois director Jean Marc-Vallée's C.R.A.Z.Y. (a title derived from the initials of five brothers) has a lot going for it, including one of the best rock soundtracks in recent memory. Scheduled for wider distribution in Canada and the U.S., the film has already grossed six million dollars in Quebec since its summer release and is already Canada's nominee for Best Foreign Film at the 2005 Oscars. Although it cannot be considered entertainment for the whole family, it will not offend anyone and just may become the first gay-themed film to attract a mainstream audience.

The film is about an ongoing struggle between Zac, the second youngest son in a family of five boys and his overbearing, homophobic dad (Michel Côté), a blue-collar worker who collects Patsy Cline recordings. C.R.A.Z.Y. covers a period of thirty years in the life of a suburban Catholic family and has a remarkable feeling for the era. Born on Christmas Day, 1960 Zachary Beaulieu is the second youngest of five sons. The adult Zac narrates the film and we see the world through his eyes. He tells us that the reason why he has always hated Christmas is because the holiday always overshadowed his birthday and because the presents he received were not those he really wanted. He recalls how he received a game of table hockey when all he wanted was a toy baby carriage.

Zac at six (Emile Vallée) is a quiet, sensitive boy who loves his parents but does not get along with his brothers who are always teasing him. Zac's mother (Danielle Proulx) is very religious and believes that Zac has special healing powers, partially derived from the fact that he is always able to quiet the youngest boy, an infant who has colic, just by holding him. When his special powers are reinforced by the "Tupperware lady", it becomes apparent that he will never be like everyone else. When his father Gervais catches him dressing in his mother's gown and pearls while watching baby Yvan, the name-calling starts and their relationship is never the same. Zac prays every night that he doesn't turn out to be a "fairy" but with mixed results. The other boys are more acceptable to their father simply because they are more manly but we never really find out much about them other than the roles they played in Zac's life.

The oldest brother Christian (Maxime Tremblay) has an active intelligence and reads a lot, Antoine (Sébastian Blouin) is a sports nut, and Raymond (Pierre-Luc Brilliant) is a rebellious teen who will eventually get into trouble with drugs (more acceptable to dad than being gay). The brothers are stereotypes but the performances are so full of kinetic energy that it doesn't get in the way. When Zac reaches fifteen, Marc-André Grondin assumes the role and turns in a flawless performance, allowing the audience to feel his pain and torment. Awkward in social situations, he stays in his room listening to David Bowie (whom his father calls "that fag singer") and Pink Floyd. When dad thinks he catches Zac making out with another boy, he forces him to go to a shrink to be cured, but the sessions are terminated when Zac tells him that the psychiatrist blames his father.

Zac wants to please dad so much that he starts sleeping with his best friend Michelle (Natasha Thompson). In fact, Zac resists his orientation so much that he beats up a young gay pursuer to show how macho he really is. The film's third act shifts into the eighties where Zac is working as a DJ, still crazy after all these years. When his father accuses him at his brother's wedding of preferring male companionship, Zac leaves the country, going to Jerusalem to try to discover his identity and to pursue his pleasure in a non-threatening environment. Though there is a touch of nudity, there is no overt sexuality shown and Vallée seems careful not to disturb anyone and the film offers a somewhat pat yet moving conclusion.

Disappointingly, the view of gay life is very limited. Zac seems to have no interests outside of the pursuit of pleasure and no real relationships are shown, either male of female. Yet C.R.A.Z.Y. is more about being different in a conformist society and the struggle for self-awareness rather than just about being gay. As Vallée explains it, "the theme of the film is personal acceptance. It's about this struggle to express yourself and being honest in the moment" Winner of the Best Canadian Feature Film Award at the recent Toronto Film Festival "for its standout acting, its incredible emotional resonance and extraordinary visual inventiveness", C.R.A.Z.Y. is one the best films of 2005.
  • (I wish I wrote this in french because I will not be able to mean all in English) This movie is simple but accurate. Sometimes the subject don't need to be complicated, the emotions are enough. The life of a family searching for happiness but who sometimes find misfortune in the path. The characters are all representative of many generations. Nostalgia will get most of people. The actors are all great especially Michel Côté, Marc-André Grondin et Pierre-Luc Brilliant. Video and audio editing come from genius. The music is O_O (read the Trivia and you'll understand). I have nothing more to say than this movie will give you what you awaited for. You have to see it ... again. Félicitations Jean-Marc !!!
  • jjwl12 September 2005
    I approached this film with high expectations, and I was absolutely blown away.

This is one of the best films about coming of age, coming out and coming to terms that I have ever seen. It is easily the best film I have seen this year. If you had any doubts that Canadian cinema is among the best in the world, they will be forever demolished once you see this diamond of a film.

Apparently, industry insiders were equally impressed, as the film now has distributors in 40+ countries. Rush out and see it, or look for it on DVD sometime in the not too distant future.
  • mtrottier785 June 2005
    This is a movie I will never forget, which is so rare. It is a diamond. The best Canadian movie ever. the best movie about the 70s ever. The best movie about religion stigmas and evolution of the occidental societies ever. You will hear from this movie.

The director, jean-Marc Vallée, brings us in the peaceful and warm-hearted Quebec of the 60s and 70s which is a period of great changes in all North America. The music of the film is magic and you will be astonished but the performance of the actors. Michel Côté as the father, and Danielle Proulx as the mother are so realistic. it's unbelievable.

Probably the best movie since Mireilles' City of God.
  • Phenomenal! Amazing movie, superbly acted. (Michel Cote is nothing less than perfect in the role of Gervais Beaulieu.) Nothing amiss. Great music, drama, emotions.

I was in Montreal briefly in July and saw the movie twice. Came out as awed by it the second time as I did the first around. Although it could have been filmed in the States (the story is not particular to Quebec), it belongs to Quebec and to the people who lived similar experiences growing up in the 70s. My only hope is that it will get the recognition it deserves on the international scene.

I heard American producers are thinking of buying the rights to film it in the States... I say they should put subtitles and let it ride the wave to success.
  • Isakawa7 May 2007
    This film shines. It exudes something tangibly different in its at times sensual photography, its sinuous, undulating changes of speed and motion. The story is refreshing, in that, although familiar, it is seen from a new, reluctant perspective - for me at any rate. I loved the embattled religiosity, that there was a loose acceptance in that Zac respected the beliefs of his parents, but never hammers home their differences in that respect. In others, though, inevitably there will be conflict, and perhaps particularly at the time of setting. An excellent character study in so many ways - even secondary characters are satisfactorily fleshed out, or have enough about them to warrant sympathy. Well written, well scored, brilliantly acted, and photographed.

Must go buy, now!
  • I had the opportunity to watch this film at the Miami International Film Festival, and I am VERY glad I took up on it! This is what storytelling is all about. Jean-Marc Vallée takes this beautiful story, which is a mix of fiction and reality, and beautifully executes it on film. It's a story that feels realistic, and I was very pleased to see that it's not regionalistic to the point of not being able to be comprehended by others. I thought the acting was amazing and certainly the strong performances bring such a life and realism to the characters that it helps to truly elevate the story, which is really the key to this film. I think especially brilliant were Michel Côté, Marc-André Grondin, Emile Vallée, Danielle Proulx, and Pierre-Luc Brilliant (not to leave anyone out as everyone really shines in their roles, it's just that these to me were the strongest performances of the lot). The choices of music were excellently made and the melding of effects in this film is well done to assist the telling of the story. If you like story-centric films, this is one of the strongest I've ever seen. It has a little of everything: humour, realism, sadness, etc. It's a movie about real life, and while it does have it's surreal moments, it stays true to being about real life.
    "As far as I can remember, I've hated Christmas," recalls Zachary Beaulieu (Grondin) in voice-over, and at its most superficial C.R.A.Z.Y. is how 'The Wonder Years' might have played out if Kevin had grown up gay and French-Canadian Catholic.

A real family movie (even the title is derived from the initials of five brothers), C.R.A.Z.Y. charts the tricky trajectory of closeted gay adolescence, although it's chiefly concerned with inter-generational ding-dongs, wearing its sexuality beneath its crushed velvet sleeve. As director Jean-Marc Vallée stresses, "the theme of the film is personal acceptance... about the struggle to express yourself and being honest in the moment", and such soft-soaping is probably one of the reasons it's cleaned up back home in Quebec.

At the time of writing, it's grossed over US$5 million in a province of 6.5 million people; as the producers remind us, "nearly everyone in Quebec has seen this movie". On the other hand, their cousins across the border have all but ignored it, and it's tempting to see in C.R.A.ZY. parallels between the two territories' relationship, in the film's themes of 'otherness' and awkward isolationism.

Emphasising Zac's 'otherness', his initial entry into the world on 25 December 1960 owes more to the horror genre, with the emphasis on bloody birthing tables and foreboding incubators; a beast is born (and he will indeed end up slouching toward Bethlehem in the film's third act). Furthering the anti-Christ imagery, he's also comes furnished with a strange birthmark on his scalp, which his mother Laurianne (Proulx), with whom he shares a strange psychic bond, believes denotes the gift of healing - a blessing, "for good or ill".

Almost immediately, however, he's dropped on his head by his resentful brothers (the "Three Morons"), heralding the movie's tragi-comic tone, and foreshadowing two decades of spills, thrills and hard knocks. Most all these ensuing scenes will be filtered through family life or Zac's inner life (we never see him in class or at work). If his brothers - sporty, rebellious and egg-headed - share little in common with their sensitive sibling, their bullish patriarch, the Charles Aznavour-crooning Gervais (Cote), initially takes a shine to his youngest son, taking him out on secret French fry-guzzling expeditions and attempting to curb his doting wife's cooing indulgences.

Gervais puts his foot down when she buys Zac a doll's pram, determined his son won't grow up to be anything less than a man's man. "I knew very well what a fairy was," says Zac. "I especially knew I didn't want to be one." Understandable, really; this is a man whose homophobia extends even to the gospels: "Sometimes I wonder why we pray to a long-haired guy who hangs out with a bunch of guys in robes", grumps papa. Nevertheless, Zac prays to Jesus every night to make him less "soft".

Predictably enough, everything goes awry after Zac accidentally smashes his father's rare Patsy Cline import - and especially when he's caught trying on his mother's dresses and pearls. "I can still remember the snow melting on his face; I had just turned seven, and had unwittingly declared war on my father." Zac is sent to a psychiatrist after Gervais spies him apparently making out with another boy and, succumbing to parental peer-pressure, he beds his best friend Michelle (Thompson). He also beats up a 'gay' stalker in a misplaced display of machismo. Offsetting the hardships, temporary salvation comes in the form of David Bowie, Pink Floyd, and the Rolling Stones. Trying to find himself, Zac eventually winds up in Jerusalem, where he takes a lover (a man this time) and nearly dies in the desert, before returning home to make peace with his father, prompted by his offering of a replacement Patsy Cline LP he's coincidentally found at an Israeli market stall.

There's a lot to like about C.R.A.Z.Y., in its soapy way. The soundtrack for one thing: during one glorious scene, Zac imagines himself levitating above a church pulpit, as the congregation sings joyously to 'Sympathy For The Devil'. It's like Todd Haynes meets Dennis Potter. But it's during these fantastical musical interludes that the film really soars.

The hairstyles, fashions, décor are what you'd expect from a 1970s-set drama though interestingly, nestling among the Bruce Lee posters and period LPs in Zachary's bedroom is Pink Floyd's 'Animals' - released two years after the scene is set, in 1975. It could be an honest oversight, of course, but it's possible to ascribe a more timeless tale taking precedence over historical verisimilitude. As Morrissey once lamented, "this story is old, but it goes on," and C.R.A.Z.Y., featuring much Bowie-worship, inter-generational conflict and agonised self-discovery, could be set pretty much anywhere, at any time in the Western world during the past 30 years.

Grondin as the teenage Zac ably conveys his anguished plight and, though mostly ciphers, the supporting cast also put in decent performances, Côté and Pierre-Luc Brilliant (elder brother Raymond) in particular. However, at two hours-plus, C.R.A.Z.Y's in danger of overstaying its welcome, while the ending is one of the few bum notes in an otherwise well plotted movie; homophobia vanquished in one fell swoop by a Patsy Cline record? Oh, the irony.
  • mstattoogirl28 August 2006
    Superbe
    This movie was excellent! i can not explain how good this movie is! its one of those movies that you can just sit down and understand! the depth of the characters was amazing and you can tell that the directors and writers put a lot of effort into making this movie spectacular! its a step up for french Canadian movies! The way that they made the movie tie together with all the brothers bonds and such was really good. the main relationship in the movie (piere et Zack) was really intense and i enjoyed watching it fluctuate. the music in the movie was so good! it caught the mood of the time era and the events that were taking place. The whole homosexual topic was really cool to see because as a 17 year old i've grown up in a place where everyone is more liberal and so its interesting to see how the world has evolved from the close-mindedness of that era. I think the movie just had the right mix of drama, comedy, and romance. this is the type of movie that gets you thinking about life and i think that we could all use more of those movies these days! good job to everyone involved in this movie! GO QUEBECOIS FILMS!
  • CRAZY was an exceptionally powerful and emotional film experience for me. This is an example of just how sublime the medium can be when everything comes together, cast, director, music. This film deserves to be graced with a string of awards and accolades.

I saw it in France with my late teens son, and we were both in tears at the end. I could not recommend more highly. I'd be interested in knowing whether it works in the same way for females, as for us it was a real father and son bonding experience. At times it felt like experiencing an intense poignant flashback experience of the epiphanies and rites of passage of one's own youth, and how we relate to our parents and siblings. A thoroughly uplifting experience.
  • I'm surprised this wasn't nominated for best foreign language Oscar, especially in the year of Brokeback. It's a great story, and the homosexuality is played out at times as an incidental feature in a regular coming-of-age story. The director neither washes over the character's sexuality, nor throws it in your face like so many other supposedly daring movies do. Too often, movies about homosexuality deliberately make it graphic (maybe that's not the best word?) just so that the director can say, "Well, you see? The public wasn't ready for it and that's why they didn't like it." The Hanging Garden (a good movie otherwise) has that type of problem: a sex scene between two very young teenage boys. C.R.A.Z.Y. deals with it admirably, and people shouldn't be put off it, or attracted to it, just because of the subject. It's the story and characters that matter.
    A wonderful movie. C.R.A.Z.Y. is a truly touching drama about a young man's struggle to come to terms with who he is and his father's inability and refusal to accept the truth.

The cast is superb and directed with gusto. Marc-André Grondin, Michel Côté and Danielle Proulx offer the best performances I've seen in a film in a long time. They really make you feel for these characters.

The soundtrack is amazing. A wonderful journey into the music of the 60s, 70s and 80s which contributes perfectly to enhance the story.

A well developed story unfolding with intensity and emotion. What more can one ask for in a movie? Don't miss this!!
  • ff193812 January 2007
    It's a amazing!A very heavy emotion in,I am moving!I think it's a pressure from Z'parents,he living in a spicial expectation,it's a source of why he is a spicial man.

Michel Côté is a very good actor,though I never know him before,but I will see his film in the future as I can.

I was picked it up from so many DVD in the shop,I think it's a spicial one!C.R.A.Z.Y And I want to know how did the writer create this story,maybe from his childhood,I have some feelings like him although I am a only one child in my family! Maybe,the dad need to talk with his son and he will know the really emotion of them......
  • Well, I'm not very good expresing myself in English. I would prefer to write it in Spanish or Basque, but I'll try to do as well as I can.

I've just seen this film and I think that is marvellous. I used to love french films, but the Franco-Canadian films are very great too (see if you can Leolo).

The director and the play writer has madden a fantastic work converging reality and fantasy at once. I mean, sometimes in the film we can see fantastic elemments but paradoxically these elemments don't take away eloquence and realism to the film.

The director also has used the comedy to tell us the story, and that's really thankful for the audience. We make fun as the same time we become sad. Make a good comedy is more difficult than producing a tear-jerked drama.

Please, just go to your closest cinema (theatre) and see it. If you ca in Original version with subtitles ( I haven't got that luck, the 99% of the films in Spain are dubbed. I've to wait for the DVD to enjoy the film in french)

PS. I'm sorry because of my English.
  • dashto15 July 2006
    On the surface it's a uncannily accurate portal into growing-up-gay in Quebec (as I did), but more importantly, about the family fabric that seems to pull together Quebecers in a way that I haven't experienced living elsewhere in the world.

Was moved to tears several times, and came out of the experience feeling hopeful and amazed. Not the only great film to come out of Quebec, but certainly the one that I've enjoyed the most in the past ten years. Comments in the forum seem to suggest the film is more copycat than original, but it was honestly moving, well acted, and very engaging.
  • Sincerely the first minutes of the movie i think that was other movie in what i say: OK! ... and no more, but there was a surprise... C.R.A.Z.Y is wonderful, i think is one of the best movies about the love in the family. I was in shock ...this is a movie that makes you think... this movie is a real movie.

All of us have a family, no matter if you don't have a dad, a mom, brothers, you had maybe friends or a person which you share feelings, and that is important. And that i where we see the real importance of the things. Many times of our life, we worry about things without any importance. We wish things to be "happy" when maybe we have yet the things that we really need. That is the topic of "C.R.A.Z.Y". The story talk about a family like any other in the 60's and ahead. A family that share anything. And that is the because of why "C.R.A.Z.Y" is wonderful, because is a perfect and realistic portrait of any family. Families that have problems, laughs and dreams. There is Zach, a boy who loves smoke. The movie tell us all the conflicts of a family. Those conflicts go since the drugs to the personality of the children's. The movie is essential maybe because there is no movie with such artistic qualities that speak to us in a human and real (this two characteristics perhaps are the most important when we speak of a movie with such a delicate and interesting topic to us) about people like us.

"C.R.A.Z.Y" is really an excellent film, impossible of lost (besides, the soundtrack has to David Bowie and Pink Floyd, enough reasons i think). An important film, beautiful for Christmas too. Yes ... this is an important film for the family and of course for you. And then we see the reality of that things and how is very important the people that we love.

*Sorry for the mistakes... well, if there any
  • "C.R.A.Z.Y." is a real gem. It's a wonderful, wonderful movie that totally took me by surprise. I expected something like "Dazed & Confused", something that gives you a nostalgic 70's feeling and shows some young people smoking pot while listening to Led Zeppelin. "C.R.A.Z.Y." is so much more than that. The people in it listen to Pink Floyd! Just kidding, this movie really is something special. As it's telling the story of the main characters it takes us through three different decades, a little like "Forrest Gump" does, showing how fashion and the whole lifestyle changed over the years. The main focus, however, is on a boy called Zach, his coming of age, his ambivalent relationship to his family and the trouble with him and his father accepting that Zach is gay. The story is told so realistically and with so much heart that you really fall in love with those characters, although we don't get to know too much about any of them, except for Zach and his parents. His brothers and the girl next door are always just there without any explanation why they are the way they are. That doesn't really matter, though. One of this movie's big advantages is that it never ever points out more than necessary.

Somehow director/co-author Jean-Marc Vallée knows how to make every scene special. He really gets to the core of his characters. The cast, of course, is awesome, too, without an exception. Both actors that play Zach, Zach's father and mother, his oldest brother... they all turn in great performances.

Some said that "C.R.A.Z.Y." is a little too long. I agree that it seems long and epic, but for once it didn't bother me at all. Not in the way that "Pirates Of The Caribbean 2" or "Spider-Man 2" or "The Matrix: Reloaded" or any damn action sequel of the past 5 years were much too long. Once I was lost in "C.R.A.Z.Y." I didn't want to leave its world anymore, so I'm glad the makers took their time. I even thought the movie ended a bit too quickly.

So, I can only say it again. This is a real gem. A real important movie and - just on a sidenote - maybe the one movie next to "Brokeback Mountain" that shows homosexuality as something completely normal, that's still very hard to deal with for everybody involved. "C.R.A.Z.Y." isn't just about someone coming to terms with his sexual orientation, though. It's mainly about family. About love, understanding and acceptance. It's probably the best coming of age movie I've ever seen.
  • Elsewhere in these reviews you been given excellent descriptions of performances and plot development. But, here and now, let's look a little deeper into our thinking about the three more important members of this C.R.A.Z.Y family: there's Michel Cote's "Dad"---he's the anchor around which "Zac's" life raft circles. And Marc-Andre Grondin's "Zac"---he's the one never so happy as when his father is accepting him.......acknowledging him. But never forget Danielle Proulx's "Mom"---she's every gay boy's "dream-delight" of a parent, the one who knows how to keep that 'different' child on an even keel.

Here's a film trip downright engineered to dig up / dredge out memories of times with "Dad".......times in car washing driveways, times of just-you-two car rides----"connecting times" you'd thought....you'd hoped......but maybe not. And for many of us, perhaps other not so happy memories raising their ugly heads-----yet despite such uneasy moments, we've still got to say: Thank you, Director Vallee.

Sudden inspiration!......did YOU catch it: Cote's "Dad" and Grondin's "Zac" are the 2-sides of the same coin. The two of them are more alike than any other 2 family members shown in this film. Sadly, how many wasted years and how much heartache til they found that out and, eventually, owned up to it. Repeating here, I believe a lot of "Dad's" 'problem' was that he sometimes realized he was a great deal more like "Zac" (or vice versa) than he was comfortable with. That's when their relationship would 'cycle down'. Ah, poor "Zac," how does one cope with that? Took him a very long time to figure out how to do so, didn't it?

Finally, one thing truly stands out for me, and that is how very difficult it has to be for an, essentially, first-time theatrical film actor to, let's face it, carry a 2+ hour movie.........this being Grondin's first-ever theatrical release film since reaching teenage. And as a final thought about Marc-Andre, why not admit it: what an amazing kid; even more, what a great 'package'.......what a gorgeous ass! What more could Grondin want from life?

PS--I'll tell you this---I'm gonna buy anything of Grondin's work that comes along. And Marc-Andre: if you're seeking an immigration sponsor, look no farther; I'm here.

****
  • jason-8864 January 2006
    I watched this DVD twice within a few days, I loved it so much. C.R.A.Z.Y. (Jean-Marc Vallée) is at once a coming-of-age story, family drama, coming out story and religious fable. It centers around Zachary, born on Christmas Day in Montreal in 1960. He is the fourth of five sons and he is "special" in many ways, including that he is a sort of favourite of the father (Michel Côté) and is believed to have the gift of healing.

This film follows Zachary from a child into his teenage years, and then into his early twenties. He develops a passion for music, like his father Gervais has; this greatly pleases him and results in proud comments as well as an odd assortment of musical instruments as gifts. While his father's pride is developing, however, it is also being tested by Zachary's sometimes "strange" behavior: Zachary is "the sensitive one" and is the only son out of five who does not develop "typically" into male behavior such as sports, motorcycles and a slew of girlfriends. (An early desire to have a baby carriage as a gift is quickly dealt with.) This perceived conflict confounds and frustrates Gervais and Zachary both.

C.R.A.Z.Y. is a film about a man's love for his sons, and one of the son's undying love for his father. Zachary loves his father so much and wants so badly to make him proud that he buries his true self deep inside, even to a breaking point. Zachary was incredibly portrayed by both Émile Vallée as a child (he is actually the co-writer/director's son) and Marc-André Grondin as the teenager/young adult. We see his childlike wonder and innocence slowly transform into an adolescent identity that is based on fear, confusion and a strong desire to please his father. Gervais, played by Michel Côté, is man who truly cherishes his family but has a sometimes rough exterior. He struggles with the idea that his children's happiness may result from things that he can't control, despite how badly he may want to. It is amazing to watch both characters grow into men who are mature enough able to let go of themselves and of each other. Vallée does an incredible job of keeping some of the characters at arm's length (mainly the mother and the other brothers) while maintaining their believability and importance to Zachary and Gervais.

A standout characteristic of C.R.A.Z.Y. is its use of music. Vallée allegedly took a major pay cut in order to secure the licensing rights to the music of the period, both French and English. The use of original recordings by Patsy Cline, David Bowie, The Rolling Stones, Charles Aznavour, Jefferson Airplane, Pink Floyd and others not only authenticates the period but also communicates how passionate the characters were about music. Some of the sequences gave me goosebumps. Being a music lover myself, I can relate to how certain songs literally define specific periods of my life. It's amazing how the careful selection of music and how it is subsequently worked into a film can have so much impact.

This film is truly a gem, and was Canada's submission to the Foreign Language Film category at the 2005 Oscars. I picked up on a lot more with the second viewing, but I was totally sold after the first. C.R.A.Z.Y. is definitely one of my new favourite films.
  • This is such a beautiful movie to experience. You feel for the character, Zac, on a gut level. Marc-André is exceedingly convincing and the father, Gervais, is quite the bitter pill, thus a phenomenal performance by Michel. This is a wonderful story about a boy who is a little confused with his identity and unappreciated in the family frame; save for his mother, who only wants the best for him. Although the basis for the friction between father and son is the lad's homosexuality, the situation and emotions are entirely transposable and many sons can identify with Zac. You wish with all your might that the dad comes to his senses, even at the earliest of ages, and loves his son without any reservations. There is very little wrong with this movie, except that a scene or two may have been stretched out longer than needed; but who am I to criticize the artistic intentions of the filmmakers. This is a great addition to the recent phenomenal Quebec works, "Les invasions barbares" (The Barbarians Invasion) and "La grande séduction" (Seducing Doctor Lewis). I sincerely hope this movie will be nominated at the Genies, Cannes, Golden Globes and Oscars and any other worthy event.