11 September 2004 | RichMartinez
Five Reasons Why This Show Works
"I, MAX" is a Fox Sports Net creation that stars Max Kellerman, Bill Wolff and Michael Holley. Three guys with sub-par careers in sports journalism who were assembled together for a show that has the three of them debating (more like making fun of each other) over the latest sports topics. Not a bad idea. Not an original one either. And normally, I would give a show like this a chance, but the commercials they ran promoting this show were absolutely pathetic. Here we are, being introduced to Max, the host,as someone whose "smart, funny and always opinionated. And then, when he has the chance to speak, the one moment where he can hook us, his new audience, he says this, "It's just my opinion, but I'm RIGHT!" and "I'm UP in the end!" Oh God. For days, I would ponder why this show wasn't canceled yet. Then those days turned into weeks. And now it's turning into months. And after watching this show day after day, week after week, I have to admit that its finally growing on me and now I think its one of the funniest programs to come out of Fox Sports Net. Yes, its true, I AM a fan and I admit it. Why? Several reasons....
1) CHEMISTRY - The chemistry between Max, Wolff and Holley is terrific. They are spontaneously funny. The quips they throw at one another during a debate are hysterical. And if you've seen the show from its early days, you could see how well these three continue to gel. It can only get better.
2) AUDIENCE FRIENDLY - The topics are nothing heavy. Just small talk that one person would have with another over lunch or over a smoke. Even a non-sports fan can pick up on the topics and get involved.
3) MAX IS THE BUTT OF ALL JOKES - Max Kellerman starts off each show with the idea that he's going to win every debate. Its that kind of pompous confidence that sets us up for his ultimate demise at the end of the show. And when he does lose, Wolff gets to read Max's "HATE-MAIL" (Negative email sent by the home viewers). Kellerman is the butt of all jokes and he takes it all in stride.
4) The "ME-V-R" - Max has the power to pause anyone mid-sentence by pressing his "ME-V-R." I wish I had that - there are some people who don't know when to shut the hell up.
5) THE YANKEES - Kellerman is a Yankee fan who loves to gloat about Yankee Dominance. Holley works in the Boston area. All the ingredients you need for a great rivalry.
There ya go, I just gave FIVE reasons why this show works. Now, I don't expect everyone to run to their TV sets and tune in, and those that do, I don't expect that everyone will like it. I actually know quite a few people who still roll their eyes when this show goes to air, BUT there will be those who will enjoy the humor that this show brings to the table on a daily basis. If you want to watch, tune in to "I, MAX" at 6pm and Late Night on Fox Sports Net.
© Rich M. (7/24/04)