User Reviews (33)

• I got this DVD without knowing a thing about it, other than the fact that the cover art looked interesting, and it was an Australian production. What i saw was perhaps the most precisely weird film I have ever watched. And 'weird' is a good thing, in a time when seemingly everything has been done, and it is so hard to achieve originality. 17 year-old Alex discovers that a new guy has been placed in his dorm room at the private school which he attends. Nigel is quiet, cold, and has a preoccupation with history and pure blood lineage. He also has an obsession with dead things. He is into taxidermy, and spends most of his time gutting and stuffing animal carcasses in his room. This drives Alex crazy, however Nigel manages to insinuate himself into Alex's life, and the relationship that develops between these two guys is one of the strangest ones i have seen portrayed in cinema. Surprisingly Miramax has purchased the rights to this film. Surprisingly because, although "Like Minds" is a fine, and very special movie, it is doubtful that it will have a commercial success in the states, as it is just too dark, murky and off-beat for most mainstream movie-goers. It is also quite morbid. However i can see this one developing a cult following among fans of strange and sinister films. The cinematography is beautiful, and the scenes with Nigel and Alex are mesmerizing. There were of course, a few scenes that were not quite as effective. Mainly the ones that focused on Toni Collette's character, as a criminal psychologist. A couple scenes made the movie look like it might turn into another average murder mystery thriller. But those moments are few and far between, as the film refuses to be predictable, or normal in any way. The story becomes more bizarre, and more fascinating as it goes forward, and a couple plot twists really blew me away. And the character of Nigel, as portrayed by Tom Sturridge, was evil and menacing, and his pale, haunted look made for perfect casting. Eddie Redmayne as Alex was no less compelling. There were some really nice touches, and a couple tributes paid to other classic films about evil. Such as the rotweiller that protects Nigel, very much like the demonic dogs who protected Damian in the classic "Omen." And a grisly murder, featuring a young woman crucified with two rowing oars crossed. A similar ritual murder that featured in William Peter Blatty's 'Exorcist III." Oddly there is no one that the audience is urged to sympathize with, as both boys are very cold and unfriendly. Another fact that makes this so different from a Hollywood production. "Like Minds" is a very strange and unique film. I imagine that many people will hate this, and others, mainly those with a fixation on the darker sides of the human soul, will find it fascinating.
  • Have you ever just clicked with someone? Ever felt they just got you, like they were inside your head? But what if that link had a sinister side? What if their knowing you was involuntary? Like Minds (2006) is the tale of one such relationship; a complicated adversarial tussle between two boys bound by history, mythology and blood. But it is not your ordinary thriller.

Alex Forbes (Eddie Redmayne) is a cocky private school boy living with the mantle of his lineage. With more than charm behind his smile, he plays being son-of-the-principal to his favour where he can, but when he is forced to share his room with a beautiful and strange boy, Nigel Colby (Tom Sturridge), Alex finds himself being slowly suffocated by a string of deaths. But when these occurrences culminate in Nigel's death, Alex is taken into custody.

Lacking hard evidence and under pressure from Alex's father, Senior Detective Martin Mckenzie (Richard Roxburgh) enlists the expertise of forensic psychologist Sally Rowe (Toni Collette) to dig up foundation to the charges. Her investigations force her into an awkward and testing psychological dialogue with Alex that continues to delve deeper into mystery and murder. But even as information comes to light, the relationships between the characters prove to be as tightly woven as the rich mythology that under pins the story.

Doused in history, religion and suspense, Like Minds is disturbingly sophisticated, visually beautiful and completely captivating. The acting of Eddie Redmayne is chillingly brilliant, but by far Tom Sturridge's is the most impressive, being haunting and calculated with a cold, unemotional stare that will sink deep into you.

Nigel Bluck's cinematography is beautiful, with a saturated and dark aesthetic that is as melancholic as the soundtrack. Both add so much to the depth of Like Minds.

Like Minds is a complicated contemporary thriller with a jarring twist; hauntingly beautiful and sharp as a knife. And it certainly will cut deep.
  • For some strange reason the very fine Australian/British film LIKE MINDS underwent a name change and hit the US market as MURDEROUS INTENT. The original title is so much more apropos of the story: the alternate title tends to make the audience pass over 'just another death film' category that prevents this excellent little film from appealing to a wide audience. Writer/Director Gregory J. Reed and his talented cast and production staff deserve better as this is a stunning psychological drama well worth seeing.

The setting is an all boys' prep school and among the students is Alex (a very fine young Eddie Redmayne) who happens to be the son of the headmaster (Patrick Malahide) and is a brilliant scholar - if somewhat of a troublemaker at the same time. Into this setting arrives a new student Nigel (an equally fine young Tom Sturridge) who is a darkly quiet, malevolent, bright lad preoccupied with history and necrophilia. The two boys are placed together as roommates, much to Alex's objections, and gradually secrets are unraveled that show how the two boys become, via gestalt, a sum of evil greater than its parts. Alex is horrified and yet fascinated with the ritual-influenced deaths that begin to occur and when Nigel himself is murdered, Alex is the blamed.

Enter the police: McKenzie (Richard Roxburgh) arrests and charges Alex with murder, but requires substantiation from a forensic psychologist Sally (the always superb Toni Collette). Sally interviews Alex, observes his behavior and manages to get inside his mind, learn about the historical data that has directed the evil from her astute questioning sessions with Alex, and begins to follow her own intuition about the case. There are twists and turns, flashbacks to incidents, investigation details, and discoveries bordering on the occult that spin this dark yarn like a helix of fear. The ending will surprise the viewer.

The script is superb, the acting is top notch, the production design is accomplished and the musical score by Carlo Giacco is simply brilliant. This is a fine art film, graced by the quality of superior acting set by Collette, and is a tense drama that will keep an audience thinking and involved to the final credits. Highly Recommended. Grady Harp
  • A friend of mine in France suggested I watch this movie seeing as I enjoyed Sturridge's (Nigel) performance in "A Waste of Shame" and was pleasantly surprised considering all the duds I've seen lately.

What I thought started out to be one of those moody, atmospheric boarding-school inter-relationship art-house melodramas turned into a well-done, well-photographed and well-written and for sure well-acted engrossing movie -- far from being dull as some others have commented -- with just enough little plot twists without going over the top and leaving the audience totally confused. Sometimes these told-in-flashback movies don't turn out too well because there's oftentimes not enough information supplied during the rest of the movie to support the big surprise at the end: you feel cheated and tricked because you didn't see it coming. Not so here. If you pay attention and watch closely, you're not at all surprised by the closing scene on the train, and think it was inevitable.

The chemistry between the two leads, Alex and Nigel, is a treat in itself to witness, more so because the developing relationship builds slowly instead of Nigel winning Alex over to his train of thought right off the bat: you're never sure if Nigel won.

Watch this movie, you'll enjoy it. Believe me, it's far from dull.
  • History is the study of man's past. To some it's merely a collection of events, to others it's a series of memories, but to a certain segment of people, it's the sum collection of heritage and honor. In this incredible black and dark movie originally called 'Murderous Intent', but retitled "Like Minds" it's the tale of two boys. Alex (Eddie Redmayne, incredible acting) and Nigel Colbie (Tom Sturridge, intriguing performance) attending the same private school. Although they seem at odds with other, they are in fact much closer than meets the eye. When a series of murders catch the attention of the local constabulary it falls to Inspector McKenzie (Richard Roxburgh) to solve them. His conclusions are quick and to the point, but he needs a psychological profile of one student to close the case. A Psychologist (Toni Collette) is called in and soon is embroiled in a battle of wits with an extremely manipulative young man, who relates the story of his evil school friend. One, she is certain is the mastermind, the other is a conniving and controlling con-artist, who believes in his family history and blood line to up hold tradition and any measures necessary to achieve a holy means. Not since Alfred Hitchcock has such dark drama been offered to an audience. Writer/Director Gregory Read has indeed surpassed that goal. Excellent suspense and shadowy mayhem for those interested in a twisted plot with an equally twisted conclusion. ****
  • julioecolon24 December 2007
    I passed this film up on several trips to Blockbuster because I disliked the title and didn't care much for the photo on the DVD box. But, Blockbuster showcases so much crap, and I had basically exhausted all of my viewing choices when I finally settled on this DVD. To my great surprise, this is a fascinating movie, with just enough twists and turns to keep the viewer interested. Toni Colette is wonderful and believable in the role of a forensic psychologist tasked with interviewing a murder suspect. Her job: to weave together the fragments of his harrowing narrative in order to ascertain his culpability, which the impetuous arresting officer (he has testosterone seeping out of his pores) is eager to have confirmed. The film is brilliant because it pitches together a smart forensic psychologist who eventually has to pull her dusty textbooks off the shelf to read up on Gestalt, with a young man of remarkable, quiet brilliance and the cunning of a fox at the chicken coop. Well worth viewing.
  • Like minds is a film that I have seen at Melbourne International Film Festival. It is a refreshing departure from the current bulk of Oz films. It swept me away into it's unique world for it's entire length and it may actually do some decent box office! It kept me guessing and thinking right to the end, in fact my friends and I kept talking about it at Brekki the next morning. It felt to us like it seemed to harp back to some of the wonderful thinking Oz films of the 70's.

It was a refreshing surprise to see a new Australian film maker unashamed to put production value to effective use to complement the drama in every way. It lets craftsmanship take flight to maximize the impact of the drama.

Half way through when the action pace ramps up, I found I really had to focus on who was manipulating whom. Both in the forward and back story. I was even more engrossed.

It was wonderful to see Toni Collette and Richard Roxburgh playing supporting leads. No doubt that was used for a lot of leverage in getting the film made. Toni lets those wonderful ranges of emotion wash across her face in a subtle and strong performance.

Unusual programming for a film festival, not your typical film festival film I don't think.
    'Like Minds' : Viewed (twice) at MIFF.

I've only taken the time to comment here at IMDb upon what I think were our 'Best' and 'Worst' of MIFF. 'Screen Partner' and I agreed (will wonders never cease) that this film gets our highest rating (9 out of 10, I always leave room at the top for the future).

"Screen Partner' and I really appreciated the following from this first-feature Director and his collaborators:

Being treated as an intelligent audience : Hooray for a writer that doesn't rely on irritating spurious leads for impact. Yes, there are 'surprises' but we are not lead around by the nose only to have that annoying "tricked you" moment at the denouement.

A new aspect of suspense drama: Indeed, well may one ask the question "What were sociopaths like as young-uns?" Topic for discussion afterward - we like that!

Skillful casting of all the characters, especially the 'lads': Eddie Redmayne will by now have a reputation elsewhere, but he's a real 'find'. Yes, we've seen some of these schoolboy 'types' before, but not one in this group is cast, or directed, as caricature. In the adult corner - Patrick Malahide gives us everything we could desire from his role as the Headmaster. Tension, a mixture of the surface and the guarded, a fine performance. I was less impressed with Toni Collette and Richard Roxburgh, not because of what they were given, but for what they decided to give us. TC seemed, in my eyes, only to succeed in 'being' irritated or lacklustre (I wish she'd learn to underplay/intensify - as opposed to bored/shrill - but then I was one of those who loathed her performance in Japanese Story - so you may well disagree). RR... his performance lacked subtlety, it was all there for him to do use, but he overdid it. The contrast with the really excellent performance given by PM, whose character was under far more pressure than Roxburgh's, illustrates my point. Fortunately for the film's sake, some of those I've spoken with since viewing absolutely disagreed with me in this regard.

Talented 'Eyes' And 'Ears' all round: Cinematography and editing choices excellent, especially so considering that a serious proportion of the available funds were probably absorbed by 'name' actors and locations. Similarly, quirky and absorbing original music and crisp sound editing formed another 'character' in the thick of things, underscoring and emphasizing whilst avoiding overstatement. Great to finally watch 'local' product that considers 'polish' a priority from the get-go.

Commercial: I know, I know, commercial success isn't everything, but we think this one, properly supported could be a very successful 'date movie' - plenty of weirdness, frights, and human scenery for 15+ (it was rated 18+ in Melbourne, don't think it needs it), thought-provoking and engaging for the rest of us. By the way - where is the publicity for 'Like Minds'? We've heard plenty about the less than average current crop of Oz films, e.g. 2:37 etc).

And yes, I saw it twice, a close-to-perfect film for midnight in a Melbourne Winter to finish- off our viewing week!

A hearty welcome to the world of feature films Gregory J Read - we'll be keeping and eye out (four actually) for your future exploits, we know we definitely won't be wasting our time!
    ... title! Of course it is, but still the ending, isn't clear enough. That is something that you either loved or hated. But apart from the fact (spoilers ahead as stated) that we have Alex taking over business. The question that remains is, did he lie throughout his investigation or not? That's where the movie leave you out in the open or rather let you interpret it any which way you like. But let's take this one kill at a time ...

First of an accident happens ... at least that is what Alex tells us! But maybe this wasn't an accident? I mean he get's spit in his face by Nigel and then hits him for that, but does not do a thing, when his best friend is killed? (Nigel could have helped him, in this Alex version of what happened!) So one interpretation could be, that they planned to kill him together, so they would've had their "space" (no interruptions by anyone).

Second one, is the girl. Who killed her? If you believe Alex, it was Nigel. Alex would have a reason to kill her, if she didn't like him. But during an interrogation, the police states that she did like him. Then again, maybe Alex didn't realize that.

The parents ... that's a tricky one. If it really happened as told, then it's again the case of stupid coincidence, that just does not convince! Nigel planned this all in advance? How could he? That is just impossible ... But if they planned it together or Alex himself was the master mind behind that, why kill Nigel at the end? Especially after burying the parents? Either it is cleverer than we think it is, or it just thinks it's clever .... either way, plot holes and a high amount of suspend of disbelief are here/required!
  • The film starts out very simple, a dead body and a kid as the most likely suspect. Toni Collette plays a psychologist trying to get an idea of whether or not he is guilty. The rest of the film is told in flashback, starting with Alex, the kid suspected, being introduced to the world of Nigel, his new roommate, who believes that he is something more than what people see him as, and he wonders if Alex may be a part of it. From there, the events leading up to Nigel's death is unraveled, leading up to the final climatic ending.

This film tries to do what several successful films have done in the past by posing a semi-twist ending. Unfortunately it falls a little short of getting there, and becoming more of an open-ended film to think about, open to your own interpretation.
  • Watched this because Eddie Redmayne seemed interesting in 'Savage Grace' but the film was perfectly dreadful. This again, actually his first feature film, isn't in a genre I'm at all crazy about, but, far-fetched and derivative from various sources though it is,it's still quite good for what it is. The directing has some merit, the cast is fine, the tech package (to use the Variety jargon) is first rate, and it's clever of them to adopt a cold, pale look instead of the usual chiaroscuro for spooky horror stories and also to avoid an excess of gore. This is a supernatural murder conspiracy mystery for people who don't like such stuff.

I am not of the opinion that Tom Sturridge is vastly inferior to Redmayne as some have said. The whole film would be a washout if that were true, since it's the unwilling symbiosis of the two youths that's the heart of the piece.

An excellent "making of" with the US DVD package shows Tom and Eddie are friends in real life and points out that the chemistry was evident from the first moments of a screen test. Good use is made of the spooky waxen perfection of Sturfridge's face. Tony Collette is a very good actress but often appears in overwrought roles; here, she is admirably toned down and also helps keep the movie from getting too genre or too pumped-up. Roxburgh and all the others do very creditable work and one can appreciate newcomer writer-director Read's alertness and enthusiasm. The "making of" introduces us to the main crew members and cast in interviews that are brief but feel natural. It also does an interesting job of explaining how remarkably the filmmakers fulfilled the requirements of shooting half in Australia and half in England in two opposite seasons and totally unlike landscapes and making them blend seamlessly together.

The final twist may seem just one more absurdity, but in the film's own terms it felt quite neat and right. The thing about Redmayne is, he has a chilly self-possession that is fascinating to watch in action. (In person he seems quite normal and pleasant.) It's quite worthwhile also to see somebody starring in a film about a public school who actually went to the preppiest English prep school of all, Eton. (Sturridge went to Winchester, which isn't far off.) I hope Redmayne's special talents and looks don't always lead him into films that are as campy or over-the-top as this and 'Savage Grace.' He seems to be "hot" now so he's going to have a chance to try different stuff. I'm curious to see how he does in two US productions,'The Yellow Handkerchief' and "Powder Blue.' Only time will tell if he gets good opportunities and makes good choices, but there's no doubt that he has something.
  • "Like minds" starts out from a very interesting and engaging premise, whereby we find the 17-year-old Alex charged with shooting his classmate Nigel dead. The police detective in charge of the case (Richard Roxburgh) firmly believes Alex is a psychopath, and asks psychologist Sally Rowe (Toni Collette) to interview him and try to get a confession from him. But Alex is a smart, mysterious and secretive kid, and Sally will quickly be intrigued enough to get personally involved in the case. Little by little, we'll find out there's much more to Nigel's death than the gunshot incident, since Alex will tell Sally that Nigel had, and still has, some strange and powerful form of mental influence on him.

The movie starts out well, but quickly goes downhill, and fast, up to a crashing finale. The first few sequences aside, it never manages to offer anything remotely close to suspense or thrill, even though you can tell it tries hard. The characters are only barely written, and, despite the writers' efforts, Alex and Nigel are little more than the stereotypical teen thriller weirdos with little depth to them. The movie fails at every thing it attempts to be: a psychological study of characters, an "original" thriller involving teenagers, a drama about teen angst in a hostile world... you name it. There are bits and pieces of all those subgenres, but the movie just goes nowhere, and does so at a killing slow pace.

I give this movie three stars because it has such good actors as Richard Roxburgh and Toni Collette (although neither is at their best here), because of the settings (very somber and well made; too bad the story wasn't at par with them) and because the idea was good.
  • This film is about two young teenage boys developing a morbid fascination with re-enacting a medieval legend.

After reading the detailed explanation of the plot on the discussion boards, I begin to make sense of the film. The plot itself is interesting, but there are quite a few problems. Nigel's speech is almost always incomprehensible, both the content and his accent are not understandable. Secondly, the non linear presentation of events make it very confusing. Thirdly, the relationship between Nigel and Alex is very ambiguous and is never fully explained. One minute Alex hates Nigel and beats him up, and the other minute they hang out with each other? So, the already complicated plot degenerates into a confusing mess of jumbled up scenes. "Like Minds" is a disappointing and confusing film.
  • The forensic psychiatric Sally Rowe (Tony Collette) is called by Detective Martin Mackenzie (Richard Roxburgh) to analyze the profile of the teenager Alex Forbes (Eddie Redmayne), who was found in a train station holding the body of his schoolmate Nigel Colby (Tom Sturridge) and with powder in his hand. Alex discloses his relationship with Nigel, who believes that they were descendants of the Templar Knights, and how Nigel used the power of his mind to control him. Mackenzie believes that Alex is the killer, but Susan investigates the family of Nigel under pressure of Alex's father, and finds that all of them belong to an ancient and powerful secret society.

"Like Minds" is a boring and predictable movie. The character Alex is extremely intelligent, cult, cynical and psychopathic, therefore it is too obvious who the killer actually is. But the greatest problem of this screenplay is the development of the characters, which it is impossible to feel any sort of empathy for none of them with exception of Susan. In the end, it does not matter if the criminal is Nigel, Alex, his father, Mackenzie or whoever, since all of them are absolutely unpleasant. My vote is five.

Title (Brazil): "Mentes Diabólicas" ("Evil Minds")
  • seawalker29 June 2007
    Public schoolboy Nigel Colby (Tom Sturridge) is found dead. His head has been blown off. Arrogant rich kid Alex (Eddie Redmayne) is found standing over the body with a shotgun, but he denies committing murder. As Alex is a minor, criminal psychologist Sally (Toni Collette) is asked to determine whether the boy should be charged with the murder of his schoolfriend. As Alex tells his story, flashbacks reveal the truth of what happened and the shifting relationship between the two boys. Or do they? Who is insane here? Nigel? Alex? Or maybe both?

I checked the cinema listings last Friday, and bored to tears with the thought of seeing a summer blockbuster, I opted for this, primarily on the basis that it featured Toni Collette, who is never less than interesting in every film she has appeared in.

I'd never heard of "Like Minds". It has not had a major cinema release in the UK, which is a shame, because it's not a bad film, just a bit derivative. A low key mix of "Murder By Numbers" and "Primal Fear" set in an (English?) public school. It is a thriller, but it is also all about the shifting of control and domination and obsession.

Toni Collette and Richard Roxburgh are not top billed, and that is correct, because their parts are really just extended cameos. The film belongs to Eddie Redmayne and Tom Sturridge as Alex and Nigel. Both good, otherworldly performances, especially by Eddie Redmayne.

I think that "Like Minds" is worth a look.
  • sergepesic10 February 2010
    " Murderous Intent" is, at least to this viewer, confusing and frustrating movie. The uneasy mix of thriller and horror, lacks the necessary ingredients of both to fully belong to either camp. The atmosphere of the whole set-up seems forced and contrived, like a staged version of the unfinished play.The characters are wavering, being neither here nor there, and, as it seems,false feeling of promise abandons us completely by the end of this movie. One of the most exciting actresses of today, Toni Collette has almost nothing to do in this film. She seems as incapable to figure out what is going on in this story as most of the viewers.
  • Like many people have already written here, the cover didn't speak well of the movie; but the movie spoke well of the movie...

Alex (Eddie Redmayne) is charged with murder...of a murder he did or didn't do? Alex begins telling forensic psychiatric Sally Rowe (Toni Collette) about Nigel, the dead schoolmate Alex is charged of murdering. Alex tells her about Nigel's behavior and relationship with Alex...and what deep roots both boys share. Rowe begins to dig in deep more- and finds a truth that is hard to believe, a truth that CAN'T be a truth. - with it's fascinating background (historically accurate or not), it catches you and doesn't want to let go. And the ending- don't get me started on it! With the twists and the truth springing out- you are in for some dark fun.
  • An Uppity Prep School is the Setting for This Somewhat Creepy Psychological Story of Two Smart Students Clashing Over Issues Involving Mind Control, Secret Societies, and Historical Cult and Religious Practices.

It is a Dense and Diabolical Unfolding of Police Procedures and Eerie Encounters Involving One of the Students Being Arrested for the Murder of the Other and the Details are Told In Flashback from the Point of View of the Suspect.

Interviewing Eddie Redmayne (the aforementioned suspect), in His Debut Film, is Toni Collette as a Police Psychologist Trying to Uncover the Truth. Of Course the "Truth" is Evasive and Anything But Easy to Follow or Get a Grasp Because it is Vague and Illusive.

What Unfolds is a Complicated Tale of "Old Male Bonding" Rituals Involving Club Membership that has Existed for Centuries. Exposed in the Backdrop of the Crime/Crimes are Links to "Knights Templar", and Secret Clubs that Reach the Families of Most Everyone Involved Here, Including the Police.

The Movie Can Meander and Lose Track of Itself From Time to Time, and the Viewer May Be Confused and Disoriented, and that Seems to the Be the Point of the Mystery. Because the Participants are Manipulative and Deceiving the Investigators About the Ritualistic Crimes and it is Never Clear Who is Telling the Truth and What is Going On, by Design.

Most Casual Viewers of Crime Procedurals are Most Likely Going to Be Frustrated Because the Film is a Heavy Load and the Twists are Many and in Some Cases a Long Time Coming in This Intriguing Creepfest Layden With Mind Manipualtion and Bizarre, Grisly Murders. Worth a Watch Because it is Unusual with Wordy Explanations Combining Ancient History and Current Abnormal Psychology.
  • sol121823 January 2013
    ***SPOILERS*** What looks like an Australian version of the notorious 1924 Loab & Leopold case the film "Like Minds" has non conformist prep religious school student Alex Forbes, Eddie Redmayne, get matched up as roommates with this freaked out and blood obsessed weirdo Nigel Colbie, Tom Sturridge, who he's now,at the start of the movie,accused of murdering.

Being interviewed by top police psychiatrist Sally Rowe, Toni Collette, Alex staunchly maintains his innocence and claims that it was the dead Nigel's fault in that he desperately wanted it,to get murdered in life, so he can have eternal life after death! I told you the guy was weird! At first Sally feels that Alex is just pulling her leg but as he brings out the relationship he had with Nigel she starts to have second thoughts. It turns out that Nigel was as nutty as a Mediterranean fruit fly and that nuttiness stemmed with his obsession with the 12th Century Knights Temple's that he claims that both he and Alex are direct descendants of!

Alex who at first tried to distance himself for Nigel, who for some strange reason called him Jack throughout the movie, slowly gravities towards him and his crazy ideas about the two being some kind of blood brothers who have a secret and holy mission to fulfill in life! Revive the ancient order of the Knight Templers by among other things offering up human sacrifices to them every now and then when the time is right! This murderous as well as idiotic idea on Nigel's part takes root when after getting the two together Nigel murders Susan Mueller, Kate Maberly, and frames her boyfriend Alex for it! Now in a real pickle Alex is forced to do Nigel's bidding in that he's got something, Susan's murder,over his head. Meanwhile later in the movie Nigel is caught in bed with his mom Helen Colbie,Cathryn Bradshaw, by his both shocked and outraged dad John Colbie,David Threfall,and in all the confusion the two, mom & Dad, end up dead both blasted by the family shotgun with poor Nigel at age 17 left orphaned!

***SPOILERS*** The conclusion to this sad and crazy story has Nigel get himself shot by his good and reluctant friend Alex on the railroad tracks outside the prep school that the two attended! By now with no real evidence against him murdering Nigel Alex is set free and to do as he pleases. Which turns out to continue the dead Nigel's insane and evil plan to consummate his mock marriage with the late Susam Muller who's been dead & buried for over a year! In the end Nigel got his wish in getting the by now totally deranged Alex to see things his way even if he's not around to see them himself!
    I've ticked the 'may contain spoilers' box to cover myself but to be honest there is very little I could do to spoil this film any further than the makers already have.....

This fill is dull – but it doesn't have the decency to admit it!

Full of cliché, it has the vibe of an A-level film project, or a 2 part drama for ITV2.

With Relgious connections, Knights Templars, implied/eluded homo-eroticism, and the oh so obvious twist its as if somebody got a little over excited when creating/writing this.

I'm a Toni Collete fan – she's a great actress, however she was sorely misused in this dull piece of predictability and her part could have been played by almost anyone.

Please stop suggesting this is destined for cult status - its not.

Really, its not.
  • This is a virtually worthless movie; the director is a competent technician, but his script is smugly over-complicated; the young villain is boringly mysterious (until he actually opens his mouth-then he's boring AND repellent); the film exploits the discomforting world of extreme psychosis and religion for the sake of sadistic 'entertainment', and the film isn't even a decent mystery. In every way, a most unrewarding experience. WHY are Australian film-makers given the means to produce wastes of time like this? and WHY did Toni Collette agree to put her name and her talent to this awful piece of work?
  • gabridl15 May 2007
    This movie starts well. The actors are all good, the camera-work beautiful, the setting Romantic, the plot plausible if unoriginal. As other reviewers have noted, things begin to unravel about halfway, and by the end the movie would be laughable if it weren't so unpleasant. What begins as a psychological thriller soon degenerates into blatant homophobia. This is either justified or not, depending on your perspective, but little is learned about the experience of being gay either way. Instead, the movie bombards the viewer with crude stereotypes: gay love as an English public school, gay love as corruption, gay love as a secret cult, gay love as narcissism, gay love as misogyny, gay love as Gothic perversion, gay love as a lie and a cheat. At one point I almost expected to Monty Python's Flying Circus to arrive and sing "I'm a Lumberjack." Now, I'm not gay, or even P.C., but the commonplaces in this film are not only unilluminating but downright bigoted. No audience would tolerate the nonsense of associating secret cults and conspiracies and special powers with Jews. Why should they tolerated it with Gays?
    It's been an hour ago since I've seen this movie. Brilliant actors, magnificent cinematography and a very intense, creepy, dark film…and I love it. I still don't get it, but what the heck. That's what makes it stand out; it makes you think and creeps you in a very absurd way.

I was in my normal movie mood day when I saw this DVD in blockbuster and to my surprise, it was a treasure.

Eddie Redmayne (Alex) is a fine actor who doesn't need an Oscar to be remembered. His facial expressions and subtle performance in this work of art are good reasons why this film is one of my favorites to date. The headmaster's (Patrick Malahide) and Alex's confrontation scene is staggering; the acting tremendously surpasses the dialogue between Father and son.

Toni Collete is a fine actress but she's okay in this film. I guess, she gave what was called for in her character.

Like Eddie, Tom Sturridge found his niche in the entertainment scene in this film. He was the other half of the movie. His tenuous act in this movie is very evident in its entirety and a job well done for the makeup artist involved. His innocent-pale-boyish-appearance makes his character more believable and it wouldn't be realistic enough without the help of the staff and crew who made him the heartless and fearless Nigel.

Murderous Intent is a must see for audience who are tired of commercially-driven films. Nigel made a lifetime mark on Alex's life and so much so with the moviegoers 'coz I can get off this movie out of my mind. I need to see it again before the end of this week to figure out what really happened, when it happened and who did it.
    This movie is simply beautiful. The colour palette reminiscent of a cold stainless steel morgue or the impersonal fluorescent lights in a inner city waiting room sets a sterile stage for a sparely-acted cold-blooded autopsy. The characters bring to mind, at different points, Thomas Harris' Hannibal Rising and John Knowles' A Separate Peace. There's a current of knife-edge homo-eroticism running beneath the bloodless bodies and half-hearted allusions to conspiracy and myth. However, sadly enough, the whole supposed moving force with the order, the Cathars and the Knights Templar is never fully explained, and detracts from the tensions between the two boys. In addition, the ending is far too vague. What was the inspector really up to? What is the involvement with the adults' "club"? What's which the playing card? I realize the director probably wanted to leave the ending open to discussion, but one finds it a little too vague. Has Nigel's "purpose" moved on to Alex? Was Alex really the one at fault the entire time? Are the boys so "like" that there is no one or the other? In conclusion,this potentially excellent exploration of the relationship between two disturbed boys is subtracted from by the attempt at a suspense film ending. A beautiful picture, but at the end of the equation, a disappointing result. Watch it, revel in it, but expect to realize it could have been so much more. 8/10
  • LIKE MINDS – CATCH IT ( B ) I love movies like "LIKE MINDS" somehow it always fascinates me. Like Minds is nothing unusual and most of the time we have seen movies like that where what ever you see is not what it is! The thing I loved about Like Minds is obviously touching the Gestate Theory and mixing it up with Christ History. It makes the movie more captivating and riveting. Nonetheless, the movie is well made and story is exhilarating and the Ending left me Google and reversing the entire movie yet there were some things director could have shown in the end to tell us what was real and what was Not! Usually in the movies like that they show in the end What exactly happened and How exactly everything happened, but it didn't happened in Like Minds. If they would have shot that, then it would have been a memorable experience. Eddie Redmayne is stunningly captivating and his performance got my grip from beginning till end. Tom Sturridge is another captivating Brit Lad, gorgeous as Hell & actor with lot of dept. I love, I would say the sexual tension between Eddie Redmayne and Tom Sturridge, both compliment each other Extremely well. Toni Collette is good as always, she didn't have much material to play with. Overall, an enjoyable, thought provoking movie, few glitches here and there but still Enjoyable. Watch it for SexXxy Talented Brit Lads "Eddie Redmayne" and "Tom Sturridge",