User Reviews (474)

• I wasn't expecting much when I saw this movie - and I'm not really a fan of movies where kid's are the lead - but, I was pleasantly surprised with this one.

Even though this was a "formula / underdog" type of movie, it had me cheering for Atom, Hugh Jackman was great and so were the cast of characters.

The CGI was excellent, I really connected to the characters, and it was just a fun, guilty-pleasure (c'mon, boxing robots - who DOESN'T want that !) type of movie.

Not quite "A Space Odyssey:2000" but then again, it's not supposed to be.

FUN. ENTERTAINING. GREAT ACTION.

Recommended !
  • We saw an advanced screening on Sept 22. I thought it was going to be another one of those cheesy, campy, not really believable, warm fuzzy, type of underdog/rags to riches movies. I was actually surprised. It had some great plot twists, it had a real story line. And while yes, there is some language sprinkled throughout, it did make a good family movie for older kids, 10+ (my opinion). The ending wasn't quite what I was expecting, but looking back I think I liked it better for that. Who wants an ending they can see coming the entire movie?

It had some great comedy moments. The relationships between the actors felt genuine and not overdone or forced.

The robot animatronics was good. The robots themselves were fun and imaginative and definitely made me wish we really had this sport. I would so be there!
  • george_jozwiak8 October 2011
    Any movie that gets the audience involved in a positive way and leaving cheering is an excellent movie. It is like Rocky on adrenaline and with a whole lot better acting. Hugh Jackman, Evangeline Lilly and Dakota Goyo all have great performances. Dakota who plays the son really makes the movie, but all the actors performances are great. The guy who thought it boring... well, you lack passion and your soul must be dead. Real Steel is the absolutely hands down best movie I have seen in a long time. You will cheer, cry, laugh and be thoroughly entertained. I had to sit and watched the credits at the end just to catch my breath. Great movie.
    "Real Steel" is the cheesiest movie I've seen in quite some time. After a promising start, flick starts getting over confident in telling its story. A Story we've already seen before in "Rocky" and its many clones.

Set in a future where the only difference seems to be fighting robots. Hugh Jackman plays an out off work boxer and grade A a**hole, who is hopeless at getting new robots fighting. Jackmans life is supposedly turned around when the son he abandoned as a baby turns up and helps in finding an old robot, who ends up being great in the ring.

As I wrote above, the film starts off well. Jackmans playing a character that only cares about money and winning until the kid turns up. Even the kids doing well until he starts teaching the robot how too dance (and yes he even teaches him "the robot," sigh!) and like most over confident child actors, becomes the irritating c*cky kid in the movie.

I don't think I'm spoiling anything by saying that the old robot wins and Jackman ends up caring about more than just himself by the end off the flick, but the way they go about this is seriously corny, and the way in which Jackman started out makes me not want too root for him so much by the end.

Overall the films story maybe isn't as predictable as you'd think, and is saved from a worst rating by this, and its light sprinkiling off funny moments and cool robot designs. Round one though is better than round two. Which seems determined to out-do "Rocky" and all its many imitators, in an attempt to win the award for corniest movie ever.
  • What a little gem Real Steel could have been. Well before its release, and before any intricate plot details became known, this sounded like an intelligent film in which robots are forced to engage in brutal fights for the entertainment of their human masters. Where the story would've gone from there is left to the imagination, but it appeared to have all the makings of critically acclaimed, self-conscious science fiction. The final product differed heavily from initial expectations, however, and we are left with a hollow, albeit bearable alternative prompting those such as myself to ask: What could have been?

In the very near future (2020, according to director Shawn Levy) the human art of man-to-man combat has become obsolete. One-time fighters have been replaced by robots that do the dirty work while their human controllers reap the rewards. Charlie Kenton (Hugh Jackman) is one such promoter, recently down on his luck and who lives not for the bright lights, but to make just enough money to survive. At this most inopportune time, he is forced to take care of his estranged son (Dakota Goyo), whose burgeoning friendship with an outdated sparring 'bot named Atom convinces Charlie to give the big time one last shot.

For a movie that has the skeleton to accommodate exploring the concept of human qualities in machines, a la Blade Runner or Artificial Intelligence, as well as (warning: pretentiousness ahead) the theme of 'ethics and morals of humanity', it actually does everything it can to avoid those topics entirely. My hopes for such a film were all but dashed with the casting of a child- a sure sign that the story would be strictly focused on Max and Charlie's relationship, and in that respect the plot seems unnecessarily restricted. This results in an inherently out-of-place scene in which Atom, all alone before a big fight, gazes into a mirror as if to question his existence. Its inclusion into the final cut is sure to whiz above the heads of its pre-teen target audience, while more mature viewers might interpret it as a cheap attempt to inject some heart far too late into the story.

Indeed, its family-friendly status is the biggest letdown of Real Steel. At the forefront is the misguided characterisation of Charlie's son, who is portrayed as, in my opinion, a spoiled brat who's so cocksure of himself all the time that a little part of you wants to see him fail. The child as an authority figure may appeal to those of Max's age, but it detracts from the contrasting, gritty realism of Jackman's character, and shuts down any hope of character-based realism in the process. Other attempts to please the male tween market include obvious allusions to toy lines and video games, as well as a mind-boggling assault of product placement, which becomes more than a little irritating during the second half.

The script is not disastrous. The writers dabble in clichés occasionally, but not quite to the point where it numbs the mind. On a more negative note, the screenplay does allow for an assortment of cringe-worthy moments (which some might call 'heart-warming', depending on personal perspective) that include dancing robots and the introduction of more than one excessively cartoonish side character, again limiting the level of engagement one can make with this movie.

The action set pieces in the film were visually pleasing, exploiting a decent amount of camera angles to give the viewer an intriguing look into the mechanics of robot rumbling. The CGI is impressive, and the clunky (as opposed to slick) movements of the robots actually work well, reflecting what a realistic fight between two heavy machines would look like. Jackman does his best as always, but he alone can't salvage a once-promising prospect that instead settles for being the very definition of blockbuster mediocrity.

*There's nothing I love more than a bit of feedback, good or bad. So drop me a line on jnatsis@iprimus.com.au and let me know what you thought of my review.*
  • I had been waiting to see this movie for a long time, saw it today and it was worth all the wait.

The move has a perfect blend of emotions, Robo-fight(very Importantly not over done) and some comic scenes, what else do you want?

For me the robot fighting was great. Have been following Huge Jackman's movies off late and all have them have been good including this one. But apart from all of that the movie has an embedded message that there are things that sometimes you can not handle or overlook when you have other priorities but you can always make things right, it may be hard but it can be done.

The kid Dakota Goyo did a good job as well.

So I would say go out there and see the movie, worth every penny that you will spend for the ticket.
  • I had low expectations and I am sure many people did so too, however I did rather quite enjoy the movie for various factors in which I will List: Every scene had purpose - No pointless scenes which have no impact on the audience. The Ending - Original and Motivating, showed it had a moral to the story (If you watched the movie, you would know)

HOWEVER, unfortunately the kid put me off immensely. I appreciate his confidence in acting but his screaming and his cheesy lines were just off putting. I also noticed that his technological understanding was ridiculously high, which is rather unrealistic...And that is an understatement.

That being said, I can sense a 'Real Steel 2' and would hope it turns out as good as this first one. Sequels are very hard to perfect especially for this movie, but I digress.

This movie is worth watching and if you plan on watching it, be sure to prepare your tissues.
  • Based on what everybody said, Real Steal is like Over The Top plus Rocky with Robots. Over The Top because there's a man, his son, and a truck. Rocky because it's obvious. Put these films together and add robots and minus Stallone. Real Steel is not very innovating though but it's excitingly great and has plenty of heart. It's also the return of Hugh Jackman although we just saw him a little last June. There are lot of things to recommend in Real Steel.

The premise isn't really that intriguing. It's boxing replaced by robots. Films with Giant CGI Robots are not innovating since we have Michael Bay's Transformers. But the heart and soul lies to the relationship of Charlie and Max and their robot, Atom. It's fun to watch them. The fighting scenes are pretty exciting. That is what most underdog fighting movies do. The only problem here is the weak major antagonist. It's not really that threatening or a big deal. Ricky was more threatening than the gigantic Zeus.

The filmmaking is pretty decent. Well shot scenes. The CGI robots and the music score are good enough. Nothing to say about the production design except Charlie's truck. It looks fascinating for some reason. The performances were great. We don't see Hugh Jackman in action movies after two years and there's a small cameo of him, flipping off two characters(it's obvious but I won't tell you the title). Here in Real Steel, Jackman is energetic and somewhat perfect for the role. Dakota Goyo is a bit charming. Chemistry of him and Jackman shines through the film. It's fun to watch them together.

There aren't much new here in Real Steel but in the end, it's enjoyable and has plenty of heart. The climax isn't so much overwhelming but it intends to be more heartfelt. Again, it's like Over The Top which the father is trying to make his son proud and Rocky because it's boxing and add some robots in it. Even without thinking much about the robots, there is always human heart in this film. Hugh Jackman does it again. The underdog fighting movie genre does it again. It's really a fun film for the whole family.
  • Real Steel is directed by Shawn Levy and collectively adapted to the screen by John Gatins, Dan Gilroy and Jeremy Leven from a Richard Matheson short story called Steel. It stars Hugh Jackman, Dakota Goyo, Evangeline Lilly, Anthony Mackie, Kevin Durand, Hope Davis and James Rebhorn. Music is scored by Danny Elfman and cinematography by Mauro Fiore.

Set in the near future, robot boxing is a big crowd pulling sport. After a struggling robot operator is introduced to an 11-year-old son he has never known, they stumble upon a discarded robot at a junk yard....

We can all moan about the mimicry of an idea and the clichés that dominate Real Steel, but you really got to hand it to the makers for what they have achieved. They have crafted a family film that's very much perfect in this day and age. The story is one that any adult Sylvester Stallone fan can acknowledge and appreciate, the human heartbeat pleasingly steady, while the premise of big colourful robots beating the crap out of each other delights youngsters and us adults who are still young at heart. Film pretty much does what any other film of this type does, lays on the syrup in the last quarter where second chances and family strife come thundering through the plotting. Undeniably it's hugely derivative, events are joystick operated to get an emotional response from a family audience, while product placement reins and the script often sags under the weight of unoriginality. But it does uplift the spirit and getting to the end is easy since it's so much berserker fun. Yes it's the robot Atom, the people's champion, yes it's David vS Goliath and yes! It's Balboa vS Creed. Nothing wrong with that really.

The cast don't really have to offer up much beyond being adequate within the context of the material, though a muscular Jackman finds good paternal chemistry with young Goyo. In fact Goyo is pleasingly not annoying, always a bonus is that. Inevitably the robots are the stars, they're a triumph of design and visual effects and a sight for sore eyes, while Levy has a good handle on staging the fight sequences - even when cribbing from Balboa. The near future look is terrific as well, with Fiore's colour photography very appealing. Coining in over $290 million at the worldwide box office (over £180 million in profit), Real Steel found the family audience it was looking for, proving once again that there is a market for simple and effective popcorn carnage. It's not high art or intelligently scripted, but was anyone seriously thinking that was going to be the case here? If you want brains with this premise then seek out Twilight Zone episode "Steel", starring the excellent Lee Marvin, otherwise just sit back and enjoy the ride and let the botty bots and human interest raise the pulse and gladden the heart respectively. 7/10

Home format release is a sparkling print, extras are annoyingly short but the blooper reel is fun, we get a stunt deconstruction, and we learn about the influence a certain Mr. Spielberg had on the production.
  • I love watching Real steel whenever possible, delightful scenes especially with the kid and Hugh Jackman is awesome throughout! VFX are incredible and well polished; I'm glad it was nominated. Shawn Levy has done many projects under his belt that I have absolutely loved or even just consider a guilty pleasure which is nice too. I like the cuteness in many parts, definitely one of the better robot movies made in last couple decades!
    This movie starts out well enough, hugh jackmann at his best: quietly driving a truck along a dusty road. his character, Charlie, is the cliché boxing, two-timing douche-bag roadrunner type, in this case set in a futuristic time (although the only futuristic pieces in the movie are robots and cellphones, and a truck that for some reason has windows where the driver's feet are), where robots do the boxing for you. Charlie is trying to win fights with the robots he buys or puts together from scraps, but does not demonstrate any skill, interest or dedication. He gets distracted and has no heart for the machines he uses. When he gets the news that his ex-girlfriend dies, he shows no emotional reaction, except for trying to swindle her rich sister for the custody of their only son, which he agrees to take on for a summer in order to receive a paycheck. The rest we can predict from here, and does not deviate from our most boring projections.

What could have been nice about this movie? almost everything. The script could have been smarter, funnier, sharper. The characters feel unnatural, especially the lead Charlie. He doesn't seem to know is he's a good guy or just a loser going along with the success of others. In a good movie, the protagonist classically undergoes a life-changing transformation, in this case the bonding of father and son, which changes the father's attitude towards life in general. However, the change has to be believable. In this case, it lacks severely.

When willing to forgive the corny story, the action also leaves a lot to complain. Where is the cool slow-motion tearing apart of metal? where is the cool martial arts / mma type fighting? the makers could have gone completely NUTS on this, but instead it's not very exciting.

BAD, BAD, BAD. Want action and entertainment? not here..
    "Real Steel" is awesome. I did not expect this going in. It is more than just "Transformers" meets "Rocky" doing "rock-um sock-um robots". I saw Hugh Jackman on Jimmy Fallon talk about what made him enroll in the project. "Real Steel" beyond the visually astounding CGI glitz and spectacle is the touching story of father and son defining love and respect. Again, not all that surprising given Steven Spielberg is Executive Producer. I'm a fan of Jackman. "Real Steel" may be his crossover hit that leverages his amazing gifts, playing a real guy, and not a superhero. He is awesome, as well. As Jackman describes "Real Steel" is about second chances, and redemption. Sure the story's climax pits underdog undersized fighting robot Atom against the ferocious indestructible Zeus. For me, "Real Steel" resonates in its human voice. Hugh Jackman as Charlie confesses to his son Max (scene stealing Dakota Goyo), "You deserve better… than me." Charlie asks Max, what he wants from him. Max answers, "I want you to fight for me!" Yes, "Real Steel" is fighting for love with everything you have. "Real Steel" is the real deal.

Set in the near future, 2020, human boxing is now obsolete. Robot boxing is the reigning form of entertainment that gives audiences the brutal carnage without damage to human life. Jackman is Charlie Kenton, former boxer now manager of second rate robot boxers. As "Real Steel" opens we witness his robot Ambush being demolished at amusement event at a county rodeo. The promoter Ricky (arrogant and sleazy Kevin Durand) knows Charlie from his boxing days. It turns out that Charlie owes some bad people a lot of money. Charlie returns home to his love Bailey (beautiful and radiant Evangeline Lilly) with Ambush in tow. Bailey confirms that Ambush is a complete loss and reminds Charlie that he has no money. Bailey owns her father's boxing gym in the city, and her father managed and trained Charlie when he was a contender. Bailey can't support Charlie and keep the gym afloat.

Charlie gets word that his old girlfriend died, and he now has custody of their son Max (Goyo). Irresponsible Charlie pretty much abandoned Max and his Mom when he was born. Max is 11 years old. Max's Aunt Debra (unforgiving and taut Hope Davis) wants full custody of Max. At a court hearing in Texas, loutish Charlie expresses no interest in being a father. Instead he brokers a deal with Debra's wealthy husband Marvin (decent James Rebhorn) to sign custody away for $100,000. Charlie needs the money to buy state of the art champion robot, Noisy Boy. The catch: Debra and Marvin are vacationing in Italy for 2 months. So Charlie gets to forge a relationship with Max, or not. Really for Charlie this means having Bailey look after Max. Goyo is natural as the smart cool gamer kid, who is a fan of robot boxing and street dancing. Seems he also inherits his Dad's stubbornness. He also insists on calling Jackman, "Charlie". Max knows he is being played at least initially.

Evangeline Lilly is beautifully understated and generative as Bailey. Too bad she isn't given more to do, as well. She immediately is drawn to care for Max, because he is like Charlie, but void of his painful disappointments. In a wonderful scene she tells Max about the man Charlie was as a boxer. Although, he was 25 and 19, unfortunately all by knockout, he battled toe-to-toe with the number 2 contender in the world. Her Bailey loves Charlie so much, and is waiting for him to step into the great man he can be. Jackman shades Charlie as a powerful man, who lives life fully, leaving nothing behind. Of course the glaring paradox is his relationship with Max. Screen and story writers John Gatins, Dan Gilroy, and Jeremy Leven strike the right tone with their "Real Steel", they know it's the people that inspire, not the stunning special effects. Director Levy touchingly focuses his narrative as well.

Charlie's "Noisy Boy" is torn to shreds in an underground cage match. While searching for repair parts in the junkyard, Max uncovers another robot, Atom. Atom is a second generation sparring bot, as Charlie points out to Max. So Atom is built to take punishment, not inflict it. Unfazed Max is determined to fight Atom in matches. Using his hacker skills Max merges Noisy Boy's voice command feature with Atom's Shadow Function—Atom can flawlessly imitate every movement he sees. Charlie trains Atom giving the robot the punching combinations and instincts of a human boxer. Charlie and Max leverage this advantage over other fighting bots, and soon find themselves fighting in the WRB, World Robot Boxing. The reigning WRB Champion is Zeus, technological marvel designed by creator Tak Mashido (elegantly arrogant Karl Yune). Zeus is programmed with artificial intelligence that learns from his opponents and evolves. Zeus's owner is the gorgeous and canny Farra Lemkova, well played by Olga Fonda. Human instinct and courage is matched against calculated advanced technology. This is Charlie's last shot at greatness, and his chance to come to terms with his past.

In "Real Steel" Sugar Ray Leonard trained Hugh Jackman to box, and was the technical adviser for robot boxing in the ring. Jackman looks quick, strong, and lean. Too bad none of his boxer action sequences made it into the final cut. All this gives "Real Steel" a visceral authenticity. The real deal is Jackman and Goyo's heartfelt chemistry. Yes, that they become father and son is predictable. It's supposed to. Jackman is powerful and compassionate as he believably transforms into the hero. Goyo is wonderful as the innocent kid, who just wants to believe in something. In a poignant scene with both as Charlie fails to protect Max, he whispers, "I'm sorry…" "Real Steel" at times is shamelessly hokey, and I loved it. In the end it is about love, and all that you fight for. "Real Steel" gets it right.
    I only found out this movie was a Spielberg production when i saw it on screen. I immediately knew i'd be faced with a lot of cheap kodak moments and teary-eyed kids wrapped in a formula of family-fun Steven has been repeating since ET.

I wasn't wrong. But i had no idea how bad it was going to be. At least Goonies 2, i mean... Super 8, managed to actually be entertaining. This movie has no surprises, it's just predictable turn, after predictable turn.

The acting is terrible across the board, but i can't blame the actors for not putting an effort into such a depressing tale. Goyo is a promising talent, unfortunately the lines he was given are so out-of-character and cheesy for a kid his age, no amount of talent could be convincing. He likes Robot boxing and he's so into video games he's even fluent with Japanese, but he's no nerd, he's all grown-up and can haggle like a moroccan couscous salesman on a couscous black Friday, and to top it all off he looks like the coolest kid ever, even though his mom has just died days ago. And, like that's not horribly incongruent enough, he spends half of the movie showing off his dancing skills like a Bieber wannabe. That's one seriously schyzophrenic kid!

But the bad acting and atrocious storytelling doesn't end there. Some of the people in Real Steel are more cartoonish than the robots: Ricky, Tak Mashido, Farra, look like villains out of a Disney Channel Show. Most of the footage of James Rebhorn and Hope Davis should've stayed on the cutting room floor. They are lost on screen, clearly with no chemistry as a couple and not enough lines on the script to work with. Every time they're interacting on screen you can actually crack a laugh at how they flay their arms at each other clueless, like two crash-test-dummies in slow motion. But the way they keep awkwardly eyeballing Hugh Jackman during every lousy dialog like they're asking to be put out of their misery just makes you terribly sad again.

The final scene with everyone crying in rapture at Hugh Jackman performing video-fitness, had me ripping hair out of my head! I'm in awe of all the positive reviews this movie is getting. Either this movie premiered on IMDb's opposite day, or i had no idea this site had such a huge userbase of 9 year olds.
  • My response to Real Steel is almost parallel to Hugh Jackman's reaction to the robot fighter Atom in the film. Upon initial advertising and trailers, I wasn't impressed by the film one bit. It looked like another film that glorified the "coolness" of robots, and then tried to tack on a contrived story of a father and son relationship. Never did I believe I'd see it and actually award it a positive score. Just like in the film where Jackman doesn't believe Atom has what it takes to be a successful fighter, and then is greeted with a rude awakening.

The film takes place in the near future, 2020 according to director Shawn Levy, where human boxers have been replaced by large metal monstrosities that do the dirty work while the humans occupy the controls and the commands for them. Charlie Kenton (Jackman), a former boxer, now spends his days using the robots to fight, but finds himself in a rough patch of failures.

After being informed his ex-girlfriend has died, whom he had a child with, Charlie must now take care of the kid for three months until his aunt and uncle return from their second honeymoon. The kid is eleven year old Max, played efficiently by Dakota Goyo. The two meet awkwardly, but experienced moviegoers like myself know that these two will soon become a cheerful father and son duo.

During a junkyard visit where Charlie and Max are searching for new parts for their robot, they stumble upon Atom, a small, yet relentlessly strong bot who is abandoned but still able to fight. They repair him, and then discover that with voice recognition and shadow effect, where the robot mimes the moves of a human) that he is a bot with a strong amount of potential for success. The rest of the film depicts the father and son's efforts to take Atom all the way to the championship.

The digital effects work very well together, and are much more eye appealing than the similar ones used in the Transformers series. For one thing, the fight scenes are coherent, entertaining, and extremely well scored by Danny Elfman, who this time gives us some delightfully different music.

The robots are captured using a variety of digital techniques. Some are animatronic, some are used through motion capture animation, where actors get fitted for special suits and imitate the motions of the character, and some just plain ol' CGI. All of these three techniques are blended very well together, and make for a very entertaining visual spectacle. Even the motion capture isn't as sketchy and glitchy as it normally is. In Ang Lee's Hulk back in 2003 it was clearly jerky and underdeveloped, in Mars Needs Moms, this same year, it was unnecessary and obtrusive, but here, it seems the effects team has gotten their act together.

I think the only fault here is the screenplay. but what makes it a bit better is the fact that the cast approaches it with optimism and the mentality that they will "make it work." Jackman certainly does, pulling off a sleazy, ignorant father who grows to appreciate his son and his job a bit more, and Dakota Goyo, like I said before, hits almost every note just right. The problem is the screenplay hammers us with several movie clichés we've seen many times before. The rags to riches story has shown itself many times, not to mention one's rise from humble beginnings to a successful career. At least Real Steel recognizes the movies it's paying homage to, like the whole end scene that slightly mirrors Rocky.

Director Shawn Levy has successfully made success out of two underdogs; the film itself and Atom. His previous flicks like Just Married and Night at the Museum were lightweight innocent features that failed to include anything on the same level as Real Steel. By the end, the film had given me a feelings I like to possess when I come out of a film I thought was going to be lackluster; reassured and surprised.

Starring: Hugh Jackman and Dakota Goyo. Directed by: Shawn Levy.
  • rishi-anand8 October 2011
    The word flook has suddenly developed a new meaning altogether for me when I accidentally bought tickets to this movie as no other show was available. Barely did I know that I would end up seeing a magnum opus, a perfect cross over movie transcending from modern day fiction to a timeless classic. There are very few movies made which can cater to the likes of each individual movie goer, but then there are the occasional ones like "real steel" that qualify for such prizes. Its a brilliant plot, yet not sketchy and achy as the transformers, not too much into the future to rattle your brains. Its a perfect blend of all sort of emotions while giving the cinema goer the daily dose of excitement. Good acting by the leads, Butler is very impressive, watch out for the kid.. Good narration, excellent script, effects are super and state of the art direction. Need I say more

In a nut shell .. its a 9/10 !! Watch it

I am taking away 1 as it isn't Ben-Hur!
  • perfect cast,perfect script,perfect direction,and perfect ending..it couldn't get any better than that..pairing of son-father relationship in this movie is just outstanding..and what a performance by Hugh Jackman and Dakota Goyo..that little kid might overshadow the sexiest man in the world..

this can be the best film of the year till now..i would love to see Hugh Jackman more on the screen..he has made his mark but he should do more movies..if you haven't seen it yet,just don't waste your time in thinking..just GO FOR IT..it can worth watching many times..not a single moment in the movie was getting drown down..perfectly executed script..

just one word for it" WOW "...
    In 2020, boxing is no longer fought by humans that have been replaced by robots. The former boxer Charlie Kenton (Hugh Jackman) drives his truck to promote fights with his robot Ambush. When he has just lost a fight, he is summoned to a hearing and forced to take care of his unknown eleven year-old son Max Kenton (Dakota Goyo) since his mother has passed away.

Charlie loses another fight with the Noisy Boy robot that his girlfriend Bailey Tallet (Evangeline Lilly) has just bought and he goes with Max to a junkyard to collect part of robots to build a new one. However, Max finds an old sparring robot named Atom and Charlie teaches him how to fight box. Atom becomes a winner and Max and Charlie becomes closer to each other. However Charlie has an agreement to deliver Max to his aunt and her wealthy husband.

"Real Steel" is a film with an impressive CGI but a poor story. The idea of using robots to box is uninteresting and silly, and the relationship of the annoying Max and Charlie is strictly a business and never a father and son love. My vote is five.

Title (Brazil): "Gigantes de Aço" ("Giants of Steel")
  • rorrr3 January 2012
    This is a high budget cheesy piece of garbage with boring dialogue, predictable plot and one-dimensional characters that nobody cares for.

At first it reminded me of A.I. Artificial Intelligence (which is a brilliant movie), but then as movie went by, I got more and more disappointed. You see, AI was smart, it had a very interesting plot, it had scale, it had interesting characters, interesting dialogue and good humor, it was real good sci-fi. Real Steel has none of that, it's just a bunch of special effects and a few actors who don't give a sh*t about their roles.

The worst part is predictability. I could see where movie was going an hour in advance, and that made it just so damn boring.
    I went to see a preview of this film on 23rd August 2011 and loved it, however at this moment in time there were a few things missing...

Despite it starting off reasonably slowly with me wondering where the story was going to go, I actually really enjoyed the whole concept which contained some clever ideas to do with the concept of fighting robots. Hugh Jackman (Charlie)plays the broke ex pro boxer, now robot fighter and has a great acting role in this film. He has to take on his long lost son (Max)for two months who is fanatic about robot boxing and takes an interest in his fathers profession...an number of things happen before Max has his life saved by a mere sparring bot who has some unique features (look out for the classic dancing scene involving the shadow bot and Max)... The core of the story is the rise of this underdog robot to taking on the big boss champion in what you could call a sort of karate kid/rocky sci-fi (???). It makes for a feel good journey that is great for all ages/genders and includes certain twists in relationships mainly between Max and Charlie... I loved it up to the ending which left me slightly empty and lost the film a round of applause when there should have been one in a cleverly left pause before the credits....It is nothing major but it had a good ending when it could have easily had an epic ending, but hey it was just a preview and they may well change it (we took a survey)and it could be easily re-edited!

I loved the film and it would appeal to everyone. It had a great original storyline that has your heart tingling and is a passionate film...You should definitely go and see it in the cinema and it will be worth your money!
  • When this film was first announced about a year ago, I immediately added to my film schedule months in advance: It had a cool name and hey, it was a movie with robots and the always hot Hugh Jackman! Then the trailer came out, and the story was revealed to be touching family film about a dad and his estranged son with robots thrown in. A sweet family film? Ugh. I immediately took it off my viewing schedule. Then the reviews came out, and even Entertainment Weekly gave it an excellent review, saying that it is actually way better than you would expect. Pair that with big box office, and my curiosity started to come around again. Finally, it got an Oscar nomination for Best Visual Effects, and thus, I no longer had a choice.

And I am here to tell you that you should not believe everything you've heard...my initial reaction was wrong, my second one was right: "Real Steel" is a big load of absolute junk.

Set in 2020 or something, when boxing has been replaced by robots, Jackman plays Charlie, an ass ex-boxer who impregnated a girl and whose son comes back to haunt him fourteen years later when she passes away. "Forced "to spend a summer with this kid, they realize they bond over boxing robots. Robots, mind you, that seem to FEEL something when they are hit (like, c'mon...).

With an absolutely juvenile script that is just as much pieced together from every cliché family movie just as some of these robots are pieced together with junk, "Real Steel" is nothing more than a high-tech Lifetime movie with one of the most preposterous scripts of the year. Every line is meant to tug at your heartstrings and make you feel fuzzy inside when it's not trying to impress you with its mediocre visual effects. It's tries to be nothing but "cute" from start to finish, so saccharine that it quickly ends up nauseating.

Right down to the kid using "shadow technology" to make his robot do some silly hip hop dance moves. Like, really? What person over the age of twelve enjoyed this film? "Real Steel" is nothing more than a scrap yard of emotional manipulation that really has no redeeming qualities for any adult. But yeah, your kids will probably like it.
  • aeigamidia3 November 2011
    I don't know what Hollywood producers are thinking any more... Or maybe I do: cast a kid that looks like Justin Bieber, and focus the whole movie on his constant whining, screaming, yelling and in general acting like a spoiled brat, because apparently it sells! Lines that will keep ringing in your ears for a few hours after the viewing (in pre-puberty whiny childish voice): "Do something!!", "Why are you not fighting back!!!", "I don't like hamburgers!". And let's not forget forced touching moments with the appropriate music, tears in their eyes and the family re-uniting just because some robots are punching at each other. Was this movie made by Disney? I don't know or care, but please don't give your money to watch it.
  • When I think Hugh Jackman...I think Wolverine, with adamantium claws ripping through stuff (and occasionally through the bad guys themselves!) and his hair literally wild and feral-looking. But this movie has given Jackman a whole new image...as the deadbeat dad and cocky ex-boxer who participates in gladiatorial robot fights for a living!

I won't go too much into the nitty-gritty's of the plot...but all I'd like to say is that this movie is ultimately a story about the triumph of the average down-on-his-luck 'everyman' against overwhelming odds. It's a story we've seen done a million times...but never against so creative and pulse-ponding a backdrop!

And while Hugh Jackman does a great job...the real star of the show is undoubtedly his character's son (played by Dakoto Goyo)...the kid comes off as annoying at first but he eventually grows on you!

It may not be Oscar material, but this sure is one great movie, and at the end of the day, that's all that matters!
  • impious11 January 2012
    when this flick ended the only thing that would cross my mind was "at least it was not the worst way to spend 2 hours of my life". coming to rethink of it though, i can't recall of any worse.

arguing with some civil servant over bureaucracy to get some paper issued is actually more fun.

let's see what i can recall of this film to justify my point.

1. the father; a 35+ y.o ONCE-talented boxer who ALMOST won to the world champion.

a. decides to take on robot-boxing at which he SUCKS yet he still gets to fight (?!?!) b. has a relationship with his trainer's hot daughter ... NO WAI! c. repeatedly loses money yet he still gets to spend more(wanna know how. got jealous at this point) d. has abandoned his ex-gf when pregnant and now she's dead decides to sell the custody of his son to the boy's rich aunt (life's a bitch :P) but he still gets to keep the boy temporarily for some lame reason.

2. the son; dislikes his father at first (but why?!?!)

a. has a flair at playing video-games, hence controlling fighting robots (the movie's point not mine) b. believes the 40 y.o robot he finds for his father at some junkyard has potential (seriously?). more than that, he comes to believe that the robot has a soul (yep). c. reprogrammes the robot (most 11 year olds actually do that, no biggie. at 11 i reprogrammed a satellite)

3. the trio (father-son-robot); win fights, get admitted to the world championship and ALMOST win the fight to the most advanced robot EVER made and manage NOT to get wasted from round 1 'cause as foretold the robot's got a soul (my 1996 Cyrix can beat your i7 EASY, apparently it has more SOUL)

4. they all live happily ever after and the whole world loves them (you didn't expect that did you?)

there have to be even more clichés which i refuse to recall.

god i seriously need to somehow delete those memories from my brain ... any 11 y.o. interested in doing that for me? (can't be hard. can it?)

point taken?
  • This one was a total clichéd Hollywood movie. The movie began well with lots of hope that this movie was going to be a stunner, but I guess I was wrong.

let me put it in simpler words. You would predict the movie before its even over.

The good things about the movie were Hugh Jackman, some good action scenes, new movie concept about Robots boxing and not humans.

Bad things were clichéd story and how everything seems to work well for the kid and his father throughout the movie. Everyone seems to be really agreeable in this movie. The kid does manage to get on your nerves and so does many other actors.

The movie failed to evoke any emotions during the second half. I was past caring about any of the characters. I cried watching Kung Fu Panda-2 but not this movie.

One thing i can say for sure is that a 10 year old kid would definitely love this movie and suckers for typical clichéd and corny Hollywood films.

And if this movie managed to win an Oscar I would certainly be shocked.
  • Wtf! I mean W-T-F! This film was shocking. OK in 2000 the special effects alone would have made this a great movie but its 2011 now and the special effects in this are pretty much the norm.

This film had a good IMDb rating and so i thought I'd give it a go at the cinema. What I got was vomit inducing sentimentality, characters that were either borderline parodies of themselves or entirely unbelievable and a story-line that left a lot to be desired. In addition the science required a suspension of disbelieve that was beyond me. I mean; fighting robots that operate via voice recognition, or even more laughably in "shadow mode" where they simply copy what they "see". Where's the immersive VR suites with biofeedback? That would have been a lot more believable. Fighters controlling their robots via the web from the comfort of their homes. It wouldn't have taken a lot to make this aspect of the film a lot more believable. Also it was set too near in the future. By the time we have robots as advanced as these we won't be filling up trucks with fossil fuels (something I noticed happening more than once - sponsorship from big oil?)

In its defence the kid actor was pretty good insofar as he could be with the sh1t script he's been given and the idea that kids would speak Japanese in the future due to the superiority of their online games was a nice touch (though I think Chinese is just as likely).

All in all a huge disappointment. I left the cinema after the final showdown about 5-10 minutes before the film ended when I just couldn't take any more of the attempted tear jerking. My friend left after an hour and preferred to sit outside playing on his phone until the film ended. An 11 year old might like this. Any adult with a normal IQ will not.

Oh, and watch out for the prolonged Budweiser product placement at the beginning of the film. Considering this is a kids film I thought that was a little bit naughty!