User Reviews (377)

• tlfirth5 December 2014
    Doctor Who works better as a 50-year-old franchise, rather than any old episode!
    I have been a fan of this series since almost the beginning of Series 2; my first proper episode was School Reunion, however I had seen the last 20 minutes of Dalek back in 2005, but I didn't remember to tune back in the next week! Ever since then, I've pretty much caught every episode on its broadcast, except for the odd one where I've been away or indisposed. In 2007, I decided to take a look at the Classic Series - my first story was Genesis of the Daleks, and I've loved it ever since. Slowly, I've collected and watched almost every Classic episode available, following the "junking" back in the 60s, and I've come to love Doctor Who as part of my life, like a dog or a cat, something I can be with from time to time and have a smile on my face. In 2008, I even started scouring for Big Finish Audios, novels and comics, and I'm still collecting them to this day.

By now, of course, we've had thirty-four series with the "New Who" batch included, twelve Doctors (thirteen with Hurt), 812 episodes, 252 stories and 50 years of history. In many ways, with the extreme amount of miscellany as part of the franchise, you could compare Doctor Who very nearly to the Star Wars franchise, and has its own culture and everything.

What really gives this television show ten stars though is the continuity. This may be hard to explain, because not many people usually comment on it. What I mean by continuity is that every single episode of Doctor Who is linked in some way or another by threads of storyline that cross the 50 years it has been in existence! Whether it's a returning nemesis, an item of clothing or a passing reference, there's always something to look out for and shout "Ooh, another easter egg for the Whovians!"

A simple example for you was back in the 5th series, following Amy and Rory's wedding, the Eleventh Doctor has just received a phone call in the TARDIS from someone claiming there is an Egyptian goddess loose on the Orient Express. Whilst there are a few slight changes to the context, which could also have been a ploy, three series later, the Twelfth Doctor finally replies by visiting the Orient Express and discovers that it was a computerized identity known as Gus who had brought him there in the first place. It's simple, yet in my mind, it allows me a pause of nostalgia as I think back to how I watched the 5th series.

The greatest example I've ever seen was again quite recent. In Moffat's polarising episode, Listen, Clara tells the young Doctor what she heard from his twelfth incarnation. One part of the speech springs to mind, however, "Fear makes companions of us all". Not many will have perhaps realised, but this was in reference to what the First Doctor once said to Barbara Wright in the Cave of Skulls, in the third ever episode of the television show. In a very sublime way, the series is never far away from reminding us about the past.

As a recommendation, I would give this show an open-mind, especially the "New Series", starting 2005. Some episodes are superb, but others drop to the very bottom of the mediocre barrel. What I love about it though is its timeless story, consistently great acting and the fact that the next series could bring absolutely anything to the table - there's just no way of predicting what is to come!

Top 10 Doctor Who Stories: 1. Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead (10th Doctor - 2008) 2. Human Nature/The Family of Blood (10th Doctor - 2007) 3. A Good Man Goes to War (11th Doctor - 2011) 4. Genesis of the Daleks (4th Doctor - 1975) 5. The Talons of Weng-Chiang (4th Doctor - 1977) 6. Blink (10th Doctor - 2007) 7. The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit (10th Doctor - 2006) 8. Dark Water/Death in Heaven (12th Doctor - 2014) 9. The Day of the Doctor (10th/11th Doctor - 2013) 10. Doctor Who and the Silurians (3rd Doctor - 1970)

P.S. IMDb should join both this page and the Classic Series; it's the same bloody show!
  • Paul Evans27 October 2015
    Time passes by so quickly.
    I cannot believe it's been back on our screens for ten years, it seems like only yesterday the show returned with Rose.

What I've loved so much about interacting with people on IMDb is that no series seems to split opinion more then Doctor Who, fundamentally we all love it, it's why we tune in each week to see what's on offer.

We've experienced highs and lows and will no doubt continue along the same vein for many years to come.

Each Doctor has offered something, some perhaps more then others. Same for its producers, there are people that have loved and loathed both Moffat and Davies, both have given us some excellent and not so excellent episodes.

The format and premise of the show remains its key strength, he can literally go anywhere and do anything, most shows are faced with multiple constraints, that isn't the case here, the possibilities are endless.

We've had episodes that are widely loved, some of my own favourites include Blink, Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead and Vincent and the Doctor. Others have positively split opinion, Love and Monsters is a good idea, personally it's one I enjoy. I can appreciate an attempt at doing something different, it's a show that could become tiresome if it became to formulaic.

I like the format of the two part serial, it allows a greater character development, sometimes with the single episode there's sometimes a feeling that some characters are a little shy of screen time.

They have been guilty of using some of the Doctor's foes too often, the Daleks for example, they've popped up a few times too many, once they were the adversary I desperately wanted to see, not it's a feeling of indifference.

Long may it continue!! I couldn't contemplate Christmas Day without my hour of Who, Baileys and Ferrero Rocher.

Great big 10/10
  • willrichardmuse7 December 2015
    One of the greatest television programs of all time
    You looking for Sci-Fi? It's got it. Action? It's got it. Drama? That too! This show has got it all. With tastes of Horror, Romance, Mystery, even some Western. It really depends on the episode. While not episode is perfect, every episode can be appreciated. While the main idea of the show doesn't change, the show has experimented in many ways. The show is ever changing, with the main cast being swapped every few years. With such a big history, there's a reason the show still stands strong to this day. The episodes give nods to the past, and hints to the future. With this capability, it truly has an infinite potential.

This show truly has affected my life in ways I'd never believed. I went into the show believing it to be a cliché, boring Sci-Fi (I'd never been a fan of the genre), but after just a few episodes I was absolutely hooked. With each new main character added, you quickly learn to love them, despite your disbelief in the ability to after such a heartbreaking exit, which I'll get into later. The characters are written brilliantly, and by the end there run, you always say that the next person coming along will never be as good. Every time, your proved wrong. While everyone has their favorites, each Companion and Doctor have moments to shine, and are all brilliant in their own way.

This show truly is something special. I'll support this show for decades, and I give it a very easy 10/10.
  • forshawaj1 December 2015
    Invincible, imaginative, inspiring
    Doctor Who just works. However you watch it, as a fan or casual viewer, there is something there for you; and if there's not, well, try a different era. It helps that it's got 52 years currently under its belt, and so there is and has been for a long time, an element of nostalgia to the show-- recurring villains, references, companions or places/planets that get revisited just to please the people who've been watching long enough. But that's not all there is to it: because every year, there's some kind of hidden gem of an episode that's a shining example of great television, along with the scary, funny, tense episodes we have all come to expect from this show. One of its strongest merits is its constant adaptability. There are different writers almost every week, different companions every other series, different doctors, different locations, directors, genres, threats and ideas. For every one abysmal episode (and there are a few of them), there are some absolutely stunning ones too. I'd recommend Heaven Sent, Bad Wolf/Parting of the Ways, The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances, Blink, The Pandorica Opens, A Good Man Goes to War, Asylum of the Daleks, Flatline, and The Day of the Doctor. It's a show that never dies. Of course, it will get cancelled at some point, maybe, just as it did before; and then it will live on. It will get picked up again. TV just isn't the same without it.

If you're new, it's best to start with some classic stand-alone stories to get into them. Maybe try a few from each series to work out who your favourite Doctor/companion combination are. 'Smith and Jones' is a lovely episode to start with (it's where I started)--the season 3 opener, with a new, companion, a reintroduction to the Tenth Doctor, and a wholly entertaining episode. Other great places to start are Rose (although there's a lot of catching up to do), The Eleventh Hour (a completely brand new start-- perfect if you know absolutely nothing about anything in the show), and Deep Breath (an introduction to the current Doctor, with a few entertaining characters who have already been in the show before). Generally, starting with a Series 1-4 episode will be much easier, with simpler stories, a new companion/Doctor each series, and some enjoyable, if upsetting, season finales. Series 6-9 are harder to start at, with characters carried over from previous seasons, and plot lines and mysteries also carried on with. The individual episodes within the seasons, however, need no foreknowledge at all: for Season 6, be sure to try The Doctor's Wife and The Girl Who Waited; Season 7, try Asylum of the Daleks, Dinosaurs on a Spaceship and The Bells of St John; Season 8, try Flatline, Listen, or Kill the Moon; and Season 9, try The Girl Who Died/The Woman Who Lived, The Zygon Invasion/Inversion; and Heaven Sent (which is absolutely incredible). It's a lot of episodes, which for some seems too much. For me, however, it's never enough.
  • niktemadur9 July 2010
    Blew the mind of an uninitiated, long time sci-fi lover
    For as long as I can remember, I've heard about the good Doctor, references, inside jokes and the like. Such as "Real Daleks don't climb stairs, they flatten the building".

The quandary was this: Where do I begin, with thousands of episodes aired? I was afraid of getting myself into something deep, dense, voluminous and possibly repetitive, impossible to get back out of.

The very simple yet belated answer was, of course, by accident.

On one of those sleepless nights, flipping channels, I saw astronauts in a Victorian library, and was immediately intrigued by the weird homage to Kubrick. Before the commercial break, I was treated to electronic ghosts and invisible floating piranhas.

Then this absolute beauty comes up, I paraphrase - "You've been living in a computer simulation, your physical body is elsewhere" - "But I've been dieting"

Bleak, subtle and sophisticated humor? Check, and count me in.

As it turned out, I had stumbled into the middle of a Sy-Fy Channel short marathon of Doctor Who. I resisted going to sleep until the damn thing ended five or six episodes later, at ten in the morning.

What wildly imaginative premises, what a high-quality level of writing, what a gem this is! There is serious brain-power at work here, courtesy of the BBC yet again, on a continuing heroic mission to sacrifice short-term profit for long-term legacy. As evidence, I present "Monty Python's Flying Circus", "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy", "The Singing Detective", "Brideshead Revisited".

From what little I've seen in half of a short marathon, Doctor Who deserves a ten out of ten.
  • pjgs20028 June 2016
    Easily one of the best shows ever produced
    In all honesty, all I can say about Doctor Who is positive. It might have inconsistencies here and there, but as a franchise it's the best television series ever produced. Doctor Who is thrilling, action packed, emotional, funny, and dramatic- and it does this in a way that makes it fun to watch while not being too heavy like The Walking Dead or Breaking Bad. The main reason why Doctor Who is my favorite show is because it encapsulates everything good and bad about humanity to create a feel good series. It's plain old fun, yet its scary, surprisingly emotional, and thought provoking. The acting, the music, and the script writing as a whole are phenomenal, especially as the show progresses.

I strongly recommend that if you do want to watch, start from Series 1 in 2005. Starting from Series 5 is a quicker way to catch up to the upcoming series, as the show gets a minor reboot and a much bigger budget, but in my opinion Series 1 does a much better job at introducing the show: the mystery it builds is fantastic, the arcs are phenomenal, and the characters are incredibly fleshed out. The earlier series look dated, but it's really the characters and the story that hit home. I have loved every series I have seen, especially Series 1, 3, 4, and 9. I think the best aspect of the show is how it has an overlying story that develops across each series and every episode, but most episodes have enough to be self contained stories themselves.

I highly recommend that everyone watch Doctor Who, especially with their families. It has themes that adults will love, and enough adventure, action and silliness for the kids as well. While Doctor Who isn't perfect, its as close to perfection as any series I have ever seen.
  • jeldridge-2877123 September 2015
    A Great Ride for Both Kids and Adults
    Ladies and gentlemen, I want to say that that posting this review is such a pleasure. Never have I had the experience of fun and emotions than I have watching this series. I truly feel that this is a show that anyone and everyone can relate to, no matter the generation, age, or background.

I have to start with how I was introduced to the series. It was a Monday night and I was watching wrestling (of course, right? I mean, what else is on on a Monday night for a then-male bachelor?!). Around 9 PM, I got a phone call from my best friend, Hannah, who said, "Hey, dude! You need to turn it to BBC America, now!" My response? "Why? I'm not British..." She proceeded to tell me of this great series called "Doctor Who" and I was about to protest when I thought, "What the hell? Why not?"

As soon as I tuned in, I loved it. The episode I watched starred the 10th Doctor, David Tennant, and I loved how I was on the edge of my seat at one moment and laughing the next. That's what started my voyage to becoming a Whovian.

The series began in 1963 on BBC and is centered around a character simply known as the Doctor, who is the last Time Lord from the planet Gallifrey. He travels through the far reaches of time and space in a time machine called the TARDIS (Time and Relative Dimension in Space), which is stuck in the disguise of a 1950s blue police box. With the aid of time-traveling companions, he battles with different robotic and organic adversaries in the attempt to save other planets from suffering the same fate as Gallifrey. In addition, instead of dying per se, he regenerates into a different outer appearance. There has been 12 reincarnations of the Doctor, who is currently played by Peter Capaldi.

I absolutely love the entire series, even those in the "Classic Who" series (pre-2005). The character has the ability to speak to many people in different ways. I think that is why there are so many people who like different reincarnations of the Doctor. My favorite reincarnation is the 10th Doctor, masterfully played by David Tennant ("Fright Night," "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire"), because he has a sense of humor but also has a maniacal dark side.

The best thing that I love about it is that is has action, suspense, drama, and comedy that can be seen even by children. My oldest son absolutely loves the Doctor (who started with the 4th Doctor, Tom Baker). Even though it is indeed geared toward children, there is a tremendous fan base made up of all ages. It's a great show with a great story line that can show children that even if you have the power to go through time, you still don't have everything. The Doctor shows the audience that he still longs for acceptance, if not from his companions but from himself as well. He must fight his internal demons that threaten to crush him as much as his adversaries.

If you're looking for a family-friendly fun ride that you can continuously watch, particularly if you're a fan of science-fiction and/or fantasy, please consider "Doctor Who." By the end, I promise that you'll be saying the famous line from the 10th Doctor: "Allons- y!"
  • Robert Jamieson19 October 2014
    One of My Favorite Shows!
    I've been watching "New Who" Since 2005 and I have loved every episode! Each story is exciting, fun, clever and generally fantastic! If you are a fan of Science Fiction, Action, Adventure, Drama or in many cases Horror then you will enjoy this show.

One of the reason the show remains fresh after so long on the air is the Doctors ability to regenerate, this is a plot device added when the first Doctor, William Hartnell, was becoming too old for the part and so changes the Doctors appearance and personality allowing the show to change it's entire feel whenever the lead actor leaves and needs replaced.

This show isn't just for children, it's for everyone, I would highly recommend watching this show to anyone as it is one of, if not my favourite show on TV to date.
  • marannsjunk5 May 2006
    Love the New Dr. Who!
    I remember being so excited on Saturday nights when I was a kid, waiting for Dr. Who. I thought it was the best show ever made. Then, I grew up, Dr. Who went off the air, and no one I knew had ever heard of it. Then I found out there was going to be a new series. I was a little nervous about it. Was it going to live up to the expectations I had carried around since I was little? Would they screw it up? Would the Dr. suck? Would his assistant suck? Would they create a more intimate relationship with the Dr. and his assistant? YES, NO, NO, NO, NO!!! This show is wonderful!! I love the new Dr. I love his assistant. I love the show. And I find myself excited on Friday nights now, waiting for the "new" episode. I'm just now seeing 2005 episodes, as I live in the States, so I'm a little behind the rest of you. I hope the next Dr. is as great as this one!
  • Lonniemackfan26 March 2005
    My Ten Cents on my best friend
    It seems that there is a huge diversity in the reaction to this show. Fortunately for the IL' Doc, I think this means he will be around for awhile again. I have seen "Rose," The first episode in the revamped BBC series, and I have to say I am thrilled. The majority of the negative reviews seem to be coming from ultra-die hard Whovians. I myself was a giant DR.Who nerd in my younger years. I had a subscription to Dr.Who magazine, I sent Tom Baker a letter when I was 10 years old, (I still have the autograph he sent me back, thank you Tom!)My grandmother knitted me an eight foot long scarf etc..etc..

I could tell you who Roger Delgado is and why when he looked like Geoffery Beevers he really wanted to go on Holiday to Traken.

In early 1984 when I was 8 years old, I met the Doctor and his friends Sarah and Harry. It was at midnight in Arizona on a black in white television that was barely 10 inches wide. I was transported to somewhere I had never been and have never been since. It was like Peter Pan taking you to Neverland. Anyone who met Doctor Who at such an early age will agree with me that the magic was that vivid and so real that you felt you were right there side by side with those characters.

As I grew up, I grew out of it. Real life takes a hold, and while Perpugilliam Brown was amazing to stare at, it became a lot more important to go talk to a girl in person on a Saturday night than stay home by the time 16 years old came around.

A passing interest in Sylv and Sophie was there, but ultimately, Puff the magic dragon let out a mighty roar because this Jackie Paper had grown up.

Having said that, I watched "Rose" with two hats. The former obsessive fan with the critical eye, and the adult who wanted to be whisked away by Pan again.

I feel the show succeeds in the latter department. I had a huge smile on my face the entire 45 minutes, and if I had to guess, this show is going to capture the fancy of a lot of young ones, and even though Doctor Who was always my best friend, I'm ready to share him with the people who he was made for in the first place. Thank you Russell and welcome back Doc!
  • burntiger29 May 2015
    A late discovery
    I live in Germany and Doctor Who is not as Popluar as in the Uk. This may by the Reason why I've discover this SCIFI Marvel so late. Late means in this case at the age of 32. I'm a huge SCIFI fan and STAR TREK and STAR WARS practically raised me. But back to DOCTOR WHO. It was This Time when you have nothing left to watch, and netflix just started in Germany. So I've think lets give it a try. It Takes just a few Seconds of the First Episode Rose(Doctor Who 2005) and I became a Whovian. It is the best TV Show I've seen ever!!! Amazing Script, Actor, Heart and this incredible British Style. I hope this Show runs for ever.

10 out of 10 SCIFI at his Best
  • malmborgimplano-92-5998207 September 2015
    You can't argue with success
    For most of my life I wouldn't be caught dead watching this show. I thought it was for babies and nerds, and anyway if I had a genre it was classic horror, not SF. But after a brief but violent infatuation with David Walliams made me watch the episode "The God Complex," which just happens to be a really good horror tale, I started brushing up on my BBC Wales-era DW (Doctor Who not David Walliams.) This show has such an irresistible concept that it's possible to be a fan just of the idea of it, and such a vast backlist of episodes at this point that it would take a very dedicated DW geek to go back and watch them all, let alone investigate all the ancillary audio recordings, comic books, novels et al. I think this is one of the reasons for the phenomenon of fans having "their Doctor." In order to not be overwhelmed most of us have to be cafeteria Whovians and pick and choose what eras and episodes appeal to us most and focus on them.

Since I came into the show during the Smith era, his sweet-natured dancing pixie Doctor has been imprinted on me as what the Doctor should be like, though I've had no problem warming up to Peter Capaldi's Doctor (he is arguably the most gifted actor who's ever taken on the role, in the twenty-first century anyway.) Christopher Eccleston was fine but sort of fades into the background compared to the far more showy Doctors that followed him. I like David Tennant a lot but for some reason I really don't care for his approach to the Doctor, which he plays like a children's show entertainer. Which is perfectly valid given that "Doctor Who" is supposed to be a kids' show. In contrast Capaldi seems to me to be following the tradition of actors like Boris Karloff and Peter Cushing, who approached their roles in genre TV and films with a sincerity of purpose that was enchanting in its own way.
  • pete_da_slag24 October 2005
    A slow-runner to a fantastic finish of a race!
    Make what you will of the pilot episode of the new Doctor Who. I myself was fairly dubious upon first viewing, yet by the second episode, Russell T Davies had established a mark that makes this series his own! Gone are the wobbly sets and loose plots without continuity. Despite the episodes being manned by several writers, Davies manages to ingeniously weave them together. From the very first episode, he leaves the slight inkling of an epic subplot; the Doctor's heartfelt, almost-apologetic excuse to the Nestene Consciousness ("I couldn't save your world - I couldn't save ANY of them) is incredibly engaging and it was this very line that drew me in to offer the series a second chance.

And I'm incredibly glad I did. The series takes everything that made the original series popular and updates it for a new generation. The villains, the ideals and the themes all reflect a world that people are living in today. And then Davies also adds something new to the character of the Doctor - a REAL mythology. He no longer has that familiar skip in his step that he was famous for - he's running on low battery power - and he has something no other Doctor had; a survivor's guilt. A man left homeless by an epic war between an ancient and familiar enemy. He carries both the burden of the loss of his home and people, but also the guilt that he somehow had a hand in it.

This subplot runs through the course of the series and works incredibly well; that no matter how random the location or episode plot, beneath it lays that familiar drive that is guiding the audience toward the two-part finale. And what a finale! Not to spoil it for those who haven't seen the series, but everything regarding the Time War comes to an explosive crescendo and at long last the Doctor appears to be able to put his demons to rest.

And then there's Rose! Well, I thought she was amazing and such a well-rounded character. You can believe her and the fact that she is very much our eyes and ears on both the Doctor and the life he gives her makes her even more endearing. But what sets her out from her predecessors (as with the Doctor) is she has a mythology of her own. A life, a family, a home - and Davies taps into those unanswered questions from the old series excellently. What happens to her life away from the Doctor? Do her friends and family miss her? Will she come back? If anything, Rose is just as important as the Doctor. They have the electrifying chemistry that bristled with Lois Lane and Clark Kent, Mulder and Scully and all the other great "Will-they/won't-they" characters. With some shows, pairing off the characters kills off a program, but with these - you almost feel that it would only take the future plots and scenes even further! This series is fantastic - despite its one of two slight hiccups (Episodes 4/5) - and it is clear that both Davies and the BBC have taken slight influences from popular sci-fi shows such as Buffy and Angel. Though, this is in no way a criticism. If you want to be the best, you have to study the best. Adapting the story arc (episode 6), placing a Big Bad to the forefront of the series and throwing in an enigmatic hook (Bad Wolf) gives the show an excellent feel of continuity and does not feel out of place in today's society.

The Doctor's back - and he's here to stay! (and PS - things, in my opinion, look VERY promising with Mr. Tennant.)
  • Neil26 March 2005
    The Doctor is back, so are my childhood memories
    As a child I used to love the Dr Who series and apparently I used to hide behind the sofa whenever the Daleks appeared. I think it must have been the voice. But over time the whole idea lost so much of its charm that it became a real pain to watch.

Well all that has changed, Every nostalgic moment I ever had about the doctor has come flooding back with this highly enjoyable reanimation of a childhood favourite, even though I am now well into my thirties.

Christopher Eccleston is great in the lead and Billy Piper makes the archetypal sidekick. This new incarnation is full of the humour and tongue in cheek appeal that I hoped it would be. I just hope it keeps going as it started.

I have to give this a ten even if it's just because it's filmed in my home town of Cardiff, If not for the fact that is gives me a glimmer of what I liked in this series from when I was a very small child.

Thanks to everyone involved and keep it coming.
  • Nick Retzlaff9 June 2015
    Doctor Who (Classic and New)
    I remember when I first watched it in 2005 on CBC, the Canadian Broadcast Channel. It was the reboot and the writing was pretty good and some of the effects. Then during the David Tenant years I started to love it and it imprinted a lot on me since I was growing up around that time. Then I started watching the classic Doctor Who on Netflix, iTunes, and anywhere I could find it. I even have some of the DVD's of the classic who even the very first episode arcs. I was shocked to know that some of the early work from the 60's was lost in a fire. I learned that from this episode recap from Channel Awesome from some guy called Diamanda Hagan. Some of the behind the scenes stuff he talked about I was shocked to know. Like in the Colin Baker years and the Sylvester McCoy years. In new Doctor Who I was a little skeptical of the Matt Smith years since you might not know what you get with a new doctor. He ended up taking a lot from the second doctor Patrick Troughton and it seemed to work. This show also made it into the world record book for the longest running TV show ever. I even remember they did a thing on BBC America where they did a Doctor every month. To get you hyped for the Day of the Doctor 50th years special and when they actually aired it I just loved it. Also the end of the special I didn't quite see coming but it was pretty clever. The Peter Calpaldi years I'm a little skeptical since he's different from the last doctor but maybe I just need to let him sink in.
  • jlynne-9223229 October 2015
    OK I admit it. It's good.
    I'm going to be honest. I never had the desire to watch Dr. Who. I knew there was a growing fan base out there, but I didn't understand why. Then my son decided to start watching it on Netflix. I thought "ok, why not?" It was a change from the usual boring Disney shows he watches. I watched a bit of the first episode (9th Doctor) not bad. Not great, but not bad. My son was hooked. I missed most of the following episodes after that. Then I sat down and watched a couple episodes with the 10th Dr. (David Tennant). OK this is getting good.... I suddenly found myself hooked. Omg I actually like this show. I even went back and watched all the episodes I missed. I try to keep myself from binge watching the entire series but it's not easy. One of the main things I love about Dr. Who is the fact that it is a show that I am 100% comfortable with my kids watching. You can't find a show like that anymore. Thank you, for a show that my entire family can sit down to and not be bored out of our minds or worried about if the content is appropriate for kids and young teens. I am extremely grateful.
  • ethanthoren13 July 2014
    Probably The Best Show Of All Time
    Absolutely amazing. For over fifty years, we have enjoyed the adventures of The Doctor. He has been young, old, had long hair, had short hair, been tall, been short, and he has had many companions. Rose Tyler, Donna Noble, Martha Jones, K-9, Amy Pond, Rory Williams, Clara Oswin Oswald, Captain Jack Harkness, Mickey Smith, Wilfred Mott, Susan Foreman, Ian Chesterton, Barbara Wright, Jamie McCrimmon, Jo Grant, Leela, Romana, Ace, and the best, Sarah Jane Smith, to name a few of them. The acting has always been top notch, and the characters and storyline have always been some of the best around. The special effects have gotten much better since 1963, and it now looks absolutely fantastic. The Tenth Doctor is my favorite Doctor, followed by the Fourth. I highly recommend this show, it is hard to explain just how great it really is.
  • Edzunca26 March 2005
    I just cant understand why people are saying 'Rose' was just OK. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I think that the new series excels itself compared to previous series e.g 6th doctor stories. I commend Russel T Davies for doing a fantastic job of propelling doctor who into the 21st century.

I pity the old doctor who fans who say 'oh its just not the same'and Eccleston is 'too different to be the doctor'. They are right! its not the same! Neither are we! We are living in a different century to the old episodes and many things have changed. Set in modern day I think the episode was more realistic and 10 times more enjoyable. So boo to the criticisms

Everyone I have spoken to had a whale of a time even many children cant wait for next week.Lets hope the rest of the series fails to disappoint us!

Congratulations BBC!!
  • madcamps1 August 2014
    One of the best series of all times
    My review only intends to be a global one about all the new series, from 2005. I did not watch yet the original series from the sixties but I started with the new one. Episode by episode, I was converted into a unconditional fan. You can found emotion, fun, humor, suspense, adorable punchlines, unforgettable characters other than the Doctors, delightful Britishness and much more. By the other hand, the stories are simply good sometimes and excellent more frequently. You can enjoy the very different personalities of each Doctor. I was a previous fan of Christopher Eccleston and David Tennant so their high performances was what I expected. But about Matt Smith?. He is a real discovery. You must see him.
  • film_lover20083 April 2008
    Clever writing and brilliant acting makes New Who outstanding
    I first decided to watch Doctor who when it was relaunched in 2005 as my parents had kept on telling me how good it was. As I had nothing to do on that Saturday night I decided that it would not hurt to give the show a chance. After watching the debut episode of the relaunch, "Rose", I found it highly enjoyable. Two things I enjoyed the most about the show was the energy that the characters carried and the unique story line, it felt confident and was not afraid to be different. Of course after watching Episode 1 I decided to give the following few weeks a chance to see if the show continued to carry on dishing out creative and fun episodes.

By the 4th episode of the new series 1 I realised to myself "this is such a fantastic show". I began to fall in love with the characters and the stories that were being executed were just brilliant. The show is simply based on ideas that the writers have which make it so unique and so creative. Eccleston was brilliant as The Doctor and brought so much energy to the show.

Ecclestons departure was very sad indeed as he was my first Doctor and I felt that his chemistry towards Rose in series 1 was fantastic, however what I did not realise was the show was about to get even better. By the time Series 2 came along everything just got that whole lot better, the writers had become a lot more confident which meant all of those creative and unique story lines from series 1 suddenly got even more unique, out of this world and exciting. In my opinion the greatest part of series 2 was the episode 12 ending, it was simply just stunning! One year later series 3 was aired on our screens and this time the show no longer had Billie Piper. However this did not ruin the show what so ever. Yet again the stories got more unique and much more exciting and to me series 3 was the best New Who yet! Freema Agyeman took a while to get use to, however by episode 5 I had begun to find her character very enjoyable.

Over the past 3 years I have felt that the show has continued to improve with each series. Lets just hope they can do it for a fourth year in a row. Bring on series 4! Only two days to go now!!!

9 out of 10
  • cyberspice26 March 2005
    I eagerly awaited the new Dr Who, and I wasn't disappointed. My first memories of the Doctor are Jn Pertwee battling robots, giant maggots and giant spiders in the early seventies. Then Tom Baker took over and it was a must watch programme. Tonight I was transported back to those days, in so much as I felt just as I did back then. With one big difference, this is very much a programme for the twenty first century.

Christopher Eccleston was wonderful as the Doctor, combining the off the wall behaviour of Tom Baker's Doctor, with the mystery of Silvester McCoy's; the action of Jon Pertwee's and the hard edge of Colin Baker's; together with the wisdom of William Hartnell's Doctor and the tom-foolery of Patrick Troughton's. All wrapped together in an incarnation with the same physical appeal as Paul McGann's Doctor. I would quite happily travel through space and time with this Doctor.

The effects were the best we'd seen on the programme but I felt they didn't overwhelm it. But where they needed to be, the effects were 'crap'. The Autons always were faintly ridiculous back when Jon Pertwee fought them and they are still ridiculous, but just as deadly. The script was witty in the right places and serious where it needed to be.

I can't wait for next week!

PS. Billie Piper didn't suck!
  • mark-whait20 December 2009
    How Doctor Who became the best show on TV
    Back in 1963, a low budget science fiction television series was launched primarily aimed at educating children during Saturday teatimes, called Doctor Who. Slipping under the radar due in no small part to the assassination of President Kennedy, the show suddenly became the hottest property on British television just six weeks into its run with the introduction of The Daleks. The Daleks propelled the show into another stratosphere and became a merchandising phenomenon in the 1960s, which guaranteed the series a shelf life much longer than was originally planned or anticipated. The blank canvas doesn't come much bigger - any episode could be set at any time, in any world, anywhere. And add to that the genius of the central character being able to regenerate without the need to ruin audience expectation, and you had television gold. And so began an amazing run of 26 years with the Doctor portrayed by seven different actors, before the wheels began falling off. The decline can be traced back to the late 1980s. Tom Baker, largely considered by many fans to be the ultimate Doctor (before the emergence of David Tenant who now has a claim to the throne) ended his hugely successful run in 1981, and youthful producer John Nathan-Turner replaced him with popular TV actor Peter Davison. Whilst Davison's era was highly competent and successful, both in terms of ratings and quality, it was Turner's decision to install Colin Baker in 1984 that was the beginning of the end. Baker's crass and incredibly ill-judged portrayal alienated viewers and as ratings fell, it was no surprise that then-BBC chief Michael Grade gave the show a deliberate 18 month rest. Sylvester McCoy was then handed the role, and whilst his tenure is regularly derided by fans, he was harshly treated. His realignment of the part was excellent, but by now the show had degenerated into almost pantomime type farce. Turner was obsessed with attracting big name guest stars to the show - witness the likes of Ken Dodd, Richard Briers and Sheila Hancock, but was accused of taking his eye off the ball as the story lines and dialogue descended into cringing embarrassment. We were no longer hiding behind sofas because of the terror of the aliens - we were hiding from the show itself. The show's darkest hour was when McCoy's Doctor was faced with an enemy in The Happiness Patrol called the Kandy Man who just happened to resemble a giant liquorish allsort. And it seemed that when the show was finally axed a year later in 1989, it would be forever confined to the memories of TV yesteryear. An abortive effort to revive the show in 1996 using a TV movie with Paul McGann only served to remind us that the show was best left on the shelf.

But then 2005 happened and Russell T Davies, one of the most prolific and thought provoking writers in television, revived the series with highly acclaimed actor Christopher Eccleston in the main role, and, as a stroke of pure genius, the bewitchingly alluring Billie Piper as his assistant. Piper was the conduit between generations - she still had a teen following from her earlier career as a successfully precocious pop star, and also attracted more than a passing interest from older (male)viewers as she was also something of a pin-up girl favourite, often posing for lads mags of the age. But Davies also used his massive budget to transform Doctor Who. Gone were the cardboard sets and sticky-back plastic alien costumes. In came proper special effects and even a revamped orchestral theme tune. But the strength was in the scripts. In Fathers Day, for example, Piper goes back in time to see her father who died when she was a small child. This was high octane emotional drama, and was difficult to reconcile with the often comedic episodes of the past decades. And then came David Tenant. As Tenant's performances got better, the scripts pushed him harder, and he quickly developed a cult following that took the show right back to the top of the ratings, and even created spin off shows like Torchwood and The Aventures of Sarah Jane Smith. Countless episodes followed which were suddenly the envy of producers everywhere - Doctor Who was streets ahead of everything else on television and remains so today.
  • hassenpheffer8 October 2006
    "Who" Does It Better!
    First off, I never got into Dr. Who until recently. Honestly, I never got the opportunity to watch any of the previous incarnations (pun intended) since it was never "big" here in the US as it is everywhere else.

That said, I must say (obviously) that after finishing the 2nd season, that this is one of the best sci-fi shows I've ever seen.

Now, I watch a lot of Sci-Fi shows from all over and this show stands out.

The first season was tops to begin with, with Christopher Eccleston in the title role and I thought he was terrific. Of course, so was the lovely Billie Piper who just adds such humanity and warmth to the character of Rose that no one could've done it better. Let's not forget Camile Coduri as Jackie and Noel Clarke as Mickey/Ricky who are just a blast to watch. Then there's David Tenannt. At first, I thought he was too gawky-looking to play the character (his ears!!), but after watching the 2nd season, he fits in just fine. His sharp acting and physical comedy is almost flawless. He's great with snappy dialog and can turn serious without batting an eye.

Aside from the great acting from the cast is the acting from most of the guest actors that have appeared. A lot of them are veteran actors but some are new to me and are damn fine.

The production and direction of the show is top notch. Occasionally, there'll be some cheesy effects here and there, but that's always been a factor in the original series and, like those episodes, is negligible.

My favorite thing of all about the series: The stories. Writing folks, is always the key to great entertainment. Russell T. Davies has written many of the episodes along with a few other writers and they have done an excellent job. They've managed to bring excitement, ingenuity, intelligence and fun with clever concepts and great dialog. I also appreciate the fact that they can breach the older Doctors' past story lines and enemies well (my friend explains much of this to me while we watch the show) and respectfully.

I won't mention anything about the 2nd season and how it ends since the Sci-Fi channel just started airing the 2nd season.

I wouldn't want to spoil it. It's so much fun and excitement. You'll never want to take your eyes away nor miss a word of dialog.

It really is that good.

PS: Thanks to the producers for Nicholas Briggs back! **EXTERMINATE!**
  • duffman113214 November 2008
    This show is both "Fantastic" and "Brilliant"
    My first experiences of Doctor Who, was reading some of the books based on the classic episodes, due to my mother's influence.

When I heard that the classic series was going to be repeated on Australia's ABC station, I was really excited. I watched as many of them as I could, loving the stories and acting, and wishing that the special effects could be a little better.

Then I heard about the TV movie, and that was brilliant.

After that, the 2005 revival, which I tuned in for, with great expectations. Not only did the show meet expectations, it surpassed them! I was a little unsure of Christopher Eccleston's Doctor at first, but over the series, he really grew on me. Billie Piper was terrific as Rose Tyler, and so were Camille Codurie as Jackie Tyler, and Noel Clarke as Mickey Smith.

The second series came, with a new doctor, and again I was a little unsure, but by the start of series three, David Tennant had become my favourite Doctor of all ten.

Series three had Freema Agyeman as Martha Jones to fill the gap left by Rose, and I thought that Martha was a brilliant companion for the Doctor, providing a very down-to-earth attitude. The return of the Master (Derek Jacobi/John Simm) was a great thing for the series and made the series final three-parter just that much better.

Series four saw the return of Donna Noble (portrayed by Catherine Tate from "The Runaway Bride") who was a very strong-willed character. My favourite secondary character in this series was Donna's grandfather Wilfred Mott (portrayed by Bernard Cribbins), who was just a fantastic character.

All in all, I can't wait for the "The Next Doctor" and the series of four specials over 2009. I just hope that the new Doctor starting in series five will be a worthy replacement for David Tennant.

As many thumbs up as I can to the BBC, and Russell T. Davies for this Fantastically Brilliant revival of a cult classic!!
  • fredman55554 August 2008
    Who's the Best on Television? The Doctor!!!
    First let me say, I have been a lifelong Dr. Who fan!!! I can't remember where I was when I saw my first episode, but it was back in the 70's on Public Television (here in the US), and I was just a kid. The fourth Doctor was the star, and from that point, I was hooked! So, just what is so great about it??? The entertainment value is phenomenal, the special effects are cheesy; yet timeless, and the drama draws a person in with its cleverness and wit. What's not to like?!? Sometimes the Doctor is a clumsy bumbling fool, and others he is a remarkable genius, but he always gets through to the end.

Dr. Who is fantastically entertaining because you (along with the Doctor) end up in places you never thought plausible, and you manage to get out of impossibly sticky situations when no one else could, but what I probably like most about Dr. Who is how powerfully it stimulates a person's imagination! When I watch Dr. Who, I recognize that anything is possible! These creative ideas portrayed within are far from exaggeration -- they *could* exist, and it makes me realize the sky's the limit.

As college students some years back, we used to jumpstart ourselves off of that factor! My roommates and I would watch the Doctor, and then we'd brainstorm about our class projects (or other topics). You could literally feel your mind brimming with brilliant ideas, and we came up with some doozies! (I'm sure we improved a grade or two as well.) I've liked some doctors better than others... in many ways the fourth doctor (Tom Baker) is still my favorite, but this new series (2005 and beyond) really has me enthralled! The additional character development is a vast improvement from the past -- I had always wanted to "know" more about the interpersonal dynamics of the time traveler and his companions, and we're finally seeing that now -- and both Christopher Eccleston and David Tennant do superb acting jobs to make the characters totally believable.

All-in-all, I find Doctor Who to be wonderfully entertaining. If you like sci-fi and you've never seen an episode, then get out and view one now! You won't regret it! I highly recommend any of the series' as a starting point though you're probably better starting earlier (say, third or fourth doctor) and working forward (in time) just to get the overall history of it all.

Best wishes! Let the Doctor materialize around you!