User Reviews (147)

When I first rented Shrek a few years ago, I have to admit that I was a little disappointed, not that it wasn't a good movie, I just didn't think it was as big a deal as people were making it out to be. But I had also rented the second one and I couldn't stop laughing, one of the main reasons was the character Puss in Boots. A popular character in fairy tales, I loved their spin on him and with Antonio Banderas's voice, you just couldn't go wrong. However, Shrek 3 and 4 didn't hold up so well when they continued the stories. Even Puss seemed to be lacking interest. So naturally I was really nervous when I found out they were making a spin off with him as the star, Hollywood needs money and Puss would pull it in for them. Well I saw the movie today and I can honestly say that if Hollywood just wanted my money, I'm glad to hand it over because Puss in Boots is a very cute movie.

Puss learns that two murderous outlaws, Jack and Jill have the magic beans he's been looking for half his life, which lead to a giant's castle holding valuable golden goose eggs. Puss then meets his old childhood friend Humpty Dumpty, who introduces another cat as Kitty Softpaws, one of the best cat thieves in the world. They ask him to join them in finding the beans, planting them, and getting the golden eggs which lie at the top. Puss refuses to work with Humpty due to a past betrayal that left him falsely accused for robbery, alienating him from his hometown and adoptive mother. After Humpty explains to Puss that he wants a second chance, Puss agrees to help him obtain the beans, making it clear that he is doing it for the town and his mother and to win back the respect he once had.

I always loved Puss in Boots, but I didn't know that he could actually carry a movie. I wished he used his "cute look" more often, but I have to admit for the one they use during his jail scene was more than worth the wait and was way too funny. Kitty Softpaws was very nicely voiced by Selma, her character was a lot of fun and for an animated movie had great chemistry with Puss. Humpty Dumpty was the only character that wasn't that interesting to me, though his story was pretty good and I liked the bond that he and Puss shared. The animation was still great as usual, seeing it in 3D added the dimension and looked very nice, though the 3D is really not needed for this one.

The story worked very well and I'm glad that Puss turned into a strong lead character. Even if the story is predictable, I love seeing the hero rise tale, it's always so uplifting. I think it's a great movie for the kids and adults. It doesn't insult the kid's intelligence by making the movie too cute and there are jokes that even the adults could get into like how Puss is more a lover than a fighter. Though I thought it was kind of odd when he winked at a human lady, bestiality? Moving on, I really did enjoy Puss in Boots, I would recommend it and cannot wait to buy it when it comes out. This was exactly what the Shrek series needed to give it some life and I hope there is a sequel. Hollywood may be greedy at times, but at least with this film they got it right in giving us a great story with the most ferocious smooth talking cat on the planet.

• Puss in Boots was what I expected - interesting characters, some great laughs (including the Shrek-like humor for adults only), and an interesting backstory. Unfortunately, no cameos from major Shrek characters (I always get a kick out of Gingy).

Antonio Banderas does a great job voicing the "hero" Puss, and the movie provides Puss' history with some good laughs and great images. The big eyes look of the adult Puss is topped by the young Puss, and we learn how Puss received his name and his boots.

Humpty Dumpty is Puss' long-time friend, who becomes jealous of the young hero Puss and betrays him. But, Humpty Dumpty returns with a plan to achieve their lifelong goal - get the goose that lays the golden eggs. Humpty Dumpty has some funny lines and great visual humor. My favorite was Humpty wearing a golden egg costume.

Joining the adventure and rounding out the trio is Kitty Soft Paws, who transitions from Puss' nemesis to love interest. The pair has some great chemistry for animated characters. Their adventures include run-ins with Jack & Jill (not what anyone will expect), magic beans, the beanstalk, and the goose that lays the golden egg.

Overall, kids and adults will love the movie for its humor, cute characters, and action. Puss in Boots is a worthy spin-off of Shrek. And, the movie has a great message about learning from our mistakes, retribution, and making good choices.
    I wondered how they would make an entire movie of Puss In Boots, but I loved him in Shrek so I wanted to see this movie. It starts off kind of boring but when you see the plot develop it gets good. I like the introduction of a worthy opponent who of course is a female feline. Humpty creeped me out the entire movie but I felt justified at the end as to why I never warmed up to him. Kind of reminds you of Rumplestiltskin in the last Shrek. It's a mixture of action, sad flashbacks, cuteness (seeing Puss as a kitten is adorable!) and I guess you could call it tragedy but not too much as of course movies like this always have a happy ending. Also the references to fairy tales was enjoyable as in the Shrek films. I would see this movie again, it's not a riveting, thought-provoking film by any means but for what it was and what I was expecting it did pretty well!
  • Shrek had run its course, having forcefully pushed itself into a fourth film that was really too trying, but I suppose Puss in Boots, introduced in the second film of the franchise, proved to have nine lives, and extended his longevity through a spin off film of his own. After all, there are plenty of cat lovers out there, and his antics in the Shrek movies were undoubtedly the highlights when the Ogre and his pet donkey were getting really tired. Originally intended for straight to video, Puss in Boots proved to have what it takes for a big screen outing, and it didn't disappoint.

Dreamworks Animation may seem to have a stranglehold on making a mickey out of well known fairy tales, and this continues in its re-imagining of characters adopted for the Puss in Boots origin story, where we go into his background as an orphaned kitty cat brought up by Imelda (voiced by Constance Marie), only to disappoint his foster mum when he got betrayed by best friend Humpty Alexander Dumpty (Zach Galifianakis), a brilliant inventive and creative mind who had turned to a life of crime, staining the honor that Puss had gained through a heroic deed, banishing him forever as an outlaw and bandit.

The two major story arcs in this film enriched the narrative, one dealing with the past of Puss in Boots, while the other having him reluctantly team up with Humpty once again if only to get close to his new squeeze, the master thief Kitty Softpaws (Salma Hayek), to take on the very grown up and nasty Bonnie and Clyde inspired Jack and Jill (Billy Bob Thorton and Amy Sedaris), who are in possession of the fabled magical beans belonging to the other Jack (and the Beanstalk), where planting them at the correct spot would mean a path to the heavens to gain access to the goose that lays golden eggs, with repercussions of course that comes with a force of nature to be reckoned with.

What worked for Puss in Boots were the strengths of its story arcs, the major set action pieces, the voice cast really providing that level of flair to the many flamboyant characters in the film as well as dramatic, emotional depth to key characters, and who can forget the comedy. There are plenty of sight and verbal gags, and innuendos galore that hardly a moment goes by without something naturally hilarious happening, and does so quite subtly without screaming and forcing their way down your throat. Which I had found the later Shrek films guilty of doing just that.

Antonio Banderas provides the voice for Puss in Boots, and it's quite convenient that the character gets modelled after Zorro through a series of identifiable elements from costuming, behaviour as well as style, a character that Banderas himself have played twice in live action films. Puss continues to drawn upon established abilities especially that of its iconic hypnotic eyes, which somehow in a self-fulfilling fourth wall prophecy, will have any audience in stitches as well as held in captivating aww/awe. Zach Galifianakis voices the misunderstood character Humpty Dumpty to perfection, providing that balance of villainy and sympathy, while I suspect that the animators would have had a field day with Humpty especially with the plenty of movement gags that he got himself into, and playing upon none too subtle fat jokes on the character, resulting in the character stealing the scene most of the time. Hayek on the other hand did just enough providing her sultriness to the incredibly sexy feline that looked like, erm, Batman in costume.

Hitting the right notes consistently throughout the film, here's a pussy cat that's both a lover and a fighter and a film that can appeal to both young and the not too young at heart alike. The producers of Shrek and Kungfu Panda may have found itself another character that has enough legs to carry off yet another franchise on its own, but please don't let it merge or include characters from Shrek too soon, as this kitty deserves a rogues gallery and supportive allies of its own. Recommended!
  • The best element in the last two films from the Shrek franchise was the supporting characters; and even though I would have preferred to see a spin-off of the Donkey, the chosen one to start its own franchise ended up being the Puss in Boots, whose first film seems to have been cooked on the same mold as Shrek...a lot of adventure, some romance and abundant "meta-humor" focused on the clichés of the fairy tales. And even though Puss in Boots is not nearly as ingenious and original as the first two films from the Shrek franchise, I at least consider it an entertaining family comedy with appropriate voice acting, excellent animation and a main character with enough charisma.

The screenplay from Puss in Boots is well written, because of its adequate character development and appropriate balance of drama, humor and adventure. On the other hand, I found the action scenes a bit dull. They are not badly done, but they feel as forced interruptions of a narrative which would have may worked better with a subtler style...almost like a spy story. But with two cats and a new humanoid.

In spite of that, I had a good time while watching Puss in Boots, despite the final experience not being very memorable, because of the competent screenplay, adequate voice acting from Antonio Banderas, Salma Hayek and Zach Galifianakis, and an excellent animation which shows consistency with the caricatured style employed in the Shrek franchise. In conclusion, I think Puss in Boots deserves a moderate recommendation.
  • I was able to see the San Francisco premiere for Puss N' Boots last night. I would say the audience was about 50% children and 50% adults. The movie was shown in 3D and I would definitely recommend it.

The star of the movie was definitely Banderas's Puss. If you liked the character from previous movies, you will not be disappointed. Salma Hayak as Kitty Softpaws was decent enough although not very memorable in any way. And finally, Zach Galifianakis's Humpty Dumpty will be a polarizing character in my opinion. If you thought Rumpelstiltskin from Shrek Forever After was a tad on the annoying side, I think you'll feel the same way about Humpty Dumpty.

Anyways, the story is good. The integration of former players in nursery rhymes and fairy tales is seamless. And the comedy is standard Shrek-style delivering lots of laughs for children and the occasional adult-only joke (some very funny).

The visuals are stunning. And the music is fantastic. It almost felt like an action-packed spaghetti western with a Latin flavor. I definitely enjoyed myself. I also talked to quite a few people afterwords and the consensus was that the children all loved it and the adults kept using the word "cute" in so many different ways to describe their feelings about the movie.
  • "Puss-in-Boots" is one of the funniest and most entertaining animated movies I have seen in recent times. Its not perfect by any means, as some parts seem to drag and at times the movie felt a bit too long for its own good, but on the whole it made for a nice viewing.

I remember a decade or more ago when CGI movies were an event to behold. Each release was noteworthy. Movies like the original "Toy Story", "Finding Nemo", "Ice Age", "Monsters Inc." and the first "Shrek". To that veritable gallery I would venture to add the spectacularly underrated "Final Fantasy". When I saw that movie back in 1999 (damn, I can't believe that was soo long ago...holly crap I'm getting old!), the potential of CGI movies was fully revealed. I thoroughly enjoyed the visionary creativity of that film, especially since it had a more mature, adult slant (something sorely lacking in CGI movies, especially in North America, where CGI movies seem to be exclusively aimed at a young audience).

Since then technology has advanced by leaps and bounds and so have CGI movies. Now it seems that there is one of them coming out every other week. This has not necessarily translated into an all-around positive effect, because while their quantity has increased, their quality has steadily declined. Adding 3D effects and cutesy side-kicks cannot make up for the lack of having a compelling story, an interesting plot and well developed characters.

This brings me back to "Puss-In-Boots". This movie has all that, a compelling story, a good message, funny characters and a lot of humour, including a healthy dose of those "in-jokes" intended for the adults in the audience, in most cases the parents who tag along with their kids to watch the movie. That makes it a truly good family viewing because not only will the children have a good time, but there is plenty for the adults to enjoy too.

"Puss-In-Boots" is the most entertaining CGI (animated) movie I've seen since "Despicable Me" and "Monsters Vs. Aliens". Not on par with the gem that was "UP", but a solid offering of funny!

"We found a bag of catnip on you!" jail guard. "Its for my glaucoma!", Puss.

Enough said...
  • wildwesth5 November 2011
    A fine, fun adventure for kids and their parents. I saw it in old-fashioned 2D and a couple of scenes knocked my socks off. First and foremost, the acting was superb. Antonio Banderas is a remarkable voice actor. His acting, and his comedic timing, combined with one incredible scene have made the film forever memorable.

And that scene is the scene when the magic bean stalk grows. There are only a very few motion picture sequences in the history of cinema that are so beautiful, amazing and filled with spirit they touch you down to the toes. I was awe struck.

We remember such cinematic and artistic genius in scenes from Gone With the Wind, Citizen Kane, Lawrence of Arabia, Bambi, 2001's light show sequence and a very few other films that have gone on to become classics.

The only film in the last five years that had such a stunning shot was in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, when we are flown onto the workshop floor where whole planets are being made. The scene pulls you in with such artistry and beauty that your jaw drops and you realize you are seeing something truly magical and wondrous.

That is the best way to describe the scene in Puss In Boots when the main characters are caught up into the sky and playing among the clouds in that most remarkable sequence as the beanstalk shoots upward in graceful vines exploding lyrically with life. It is sure to become a part of motion picture legend, as legendary as the scene in Bambi when winter first arrives and Bambi and his friends play in the snow and on the ice; or the scene in Star Wars where we are whisked into hyperspace for the very first time, or the Millennium Falcon is pulled into the death star.

The whole film is just great. But this is the greatest moment and nails the entire film as a contender for becoming a classic.
  • This film is about a cat and an egg, who have been childhood friends, working together to find the golden goose to repay the town what they robbed years ago.

"Puss in Boots" is an adventure filled with fun and action. It has cute characters and colourful animation for children to enjoy. Puss has a wide variety of facial expressions, some of which are so cute that he is irresistibly cuddly. The songs and dance provide great entertainment too. Adults will find "Puss in Boots" entertaining too, as the plot is filled with proper adventure that is appropriate for both adults and children. The brotherhood subplot is strong and gripping, and provide the emotional elements to make "Puss in Boots" even more credible as a film for the whole family. I enjoyed watching it.
    Puss in Boots is one of my favorite characters in the Shrek series. Giving him a stand alone film is an interesting idea. It's suppose to be cool and exciting. It get what it wants. The movie is fun and often hilarious. The cat jokes are clever. Bunch of impressive scenes. The 3D is great. The scale is large. But the plot is too small for its large scale. It gets lazy in the second half and a bit predictable in the end. Though the film is pretty enjoyable but it could have been a lot better.

Puss In Boots starts in a solid blockbuster way. And one part of the beginning, the dancing, is very impressive. It's more than funny. That scene excites me which gives me a feeling that this film will be very great. I don't know why but it's just my feeling. The first half is exciting and great to introduce the cat hero. But when it comes to the second half(after the flashback), it's large but the story has a very little plot. It's a big adventure but ends up a little bit unsatisfying.

The story is like what Dreamworks Animated films usually do. Flashbacks of these critters when they were babies. They grew up being themselves. The rest of the story of Puss In Boots is Jack in the Beanstalk with Puss in Boots and Humpty Dumpty. It's not faithful to the original story. It's just another fairytale collaboration but this one has Mexican culture. The problem is the laziness of the storytelling. They mixed all the fairytale stories and threw some heart. These things are collaborated and nothing else. It's close to Direct-to-Video type of storytelling since this film was originally planned to be that.

But the film is never meant to be in the small screen since the scale is large. The movie is in 3D, as usual. The 3D is great. Just like Megamind, the camera is flying again. Swashbuckling cats and a lot giant stuff. The humor is clever. The natural instincts of cats are used as a joke. Like drinking milk, chasing a light, and some meows. It's adorable. The "Ooooh" cat is the "Do the roar" kid of this film. Here's the thing, cats are adorable and their instincts are funny.

In the end, it's just like Monsters Vs. Aliens and Shark Tale. But this has its heart but it's not well executed. It's still enjoyable to watch in the big screen and 3D. The filmmaking is good enough and everything is large. It just needs to make the story better. The film has ambitions for a sequel. Well I got to admit, it really needs a sequel because this adventure is not quite satisfying. More adventures to this kitty cat could be fun. Again, this film is fun but it won't blow your mind or touch your heart too much.
  • Like many others, I was getting fed up with the Shrek movies. The characters, the way they were structured. It all made it obvious something fresh and new was needed to spice up the series and make things interesting and fun to see again. The way they did this was by releasing this spin-off, which involved just the popular Puss in Boots character, from the previous 3 Shrek movies, voiced again by Antonio Banderas.

So basically this movie is being set in the same Shrek universe but without some of the familiar tropes and characters. This allows "Puss in Boots" to do its own thing and picks its own course. The movie definitely differs in style, humor and its buildup, from all of the Shrek movies. And this is a good thing really. It makes this movie like a much needed breath of fresh air for the entire franchise. However I'm still now more interested in seeing a "Puss in Boots 2" than a "Shrek 5".

Simply said; this is a very entertaining movie. It's a movie that lets you sit back and make you enjoy the ride. It's filled with some great new and fun character, good humor and some nice action in it as well.

The story is not great but it definitely serves its purpose. It provides the movie with plenty of action and adventure elements. Besides, it also provides the the origin- and background story of the Puss in Boots character, which I'm sure lots of people would be interested in.

Absolutely no other characters, from any of the previous Shrek movies, appear in this movie. This means that this movie introduces a whole lot of new characters but luckily not too many though. Basically only two are really important; Kitty Softpaws, the love interest and Humpty Dumpty, the villain, voiced by Salma Hayek and Zach Galifianakis. And they are welcome as characters in this movie. Especially Humpty Dumpty, who is of course absurd to have as a villain, works out really well and entertaining for the movie and Zach Galifianakis did a great job voicing him.

It's still mostly being a kids movie but that of course does not mean it's not fun for adults to watch as well. There are some jokes and references, which only the adults will get, while there is still plenty of silly and slapstick comedy in this movie to amuse the youngest kids. In other words; it's a good family movie!

Visually and technically these movies are also only getting better and better. Especially the movements for all of the characters also seem more fluent than ever, which allows them to do a lot of convincing fighting and battling in this movie, sometimes even the two combined.

Simply a very entertaining movie, that more than serves its purpose and is a real much needed breath of fresh air, after already 4 Shrek movies.

DreamWorks Animation – continuing to cash out by releasing sequels and spin-offs to their higher grossing films, Puss in Boots being their second one of the year.

Is this a bad thing? Well as long as they are consistent, of course not. Kung Fu Panda 2 was one of those; it was a fantastic sequel that was a success both financially and critically. The reason for this was despite the unoriginal, familiar narrative, it was gorgeous to look at every scene in Kung Fu Panda 2 with the 3D incorporated plus there was more than enough charm in the characters and wit in the dialogue for it to conclude satisfyingly. Puss in Boots is just the same, except it has an advantage.

That advantage being that it is a significant improvement on the latter half of the Shrek films. So how is this advantageous? Because Kung Fu Panda 2 may have had high expectations for some and therefore left those ones disappointed that it didn't reach the heights the original one did, but Puss in Boots restores faith in the quality-diminishing Shrek series.

For one, it replenishes the energy in the scenes that vibrated the first two Shrek films and comes complete with the sharp, funny dialogue. Again, this instalment in the series is pop culture potshot galore. For the younger target audience that are unlikely to understand the humour in some of the dialogue, there is plenty of physical humour in the film provided. My personal favourite intertextual reference had to be at the beginning of the friendship between Humpty Dumpty (voice of Zach Galifianakis) and Puss (Antonio Banderas) when Humpty tells him about his bean collecting – "First rule of bean club, you do not talk about bean club." It gives many nods to classic Westerns – as well as taking their clichés and utilising them for its own story.

Puss in Boots is an outlaw, this being established in the pre-title sequence as he enters the bar and gets into some trouble as every protagonist in a Western has done. He is then set on his own mission to escape his town, named El Ricardo, as a fugitive and along the way bumps into what he refers to as a "baaad kitty" – Kitty (voice of Salma Hayek), a female sword-fighting cat along with Humpty whom Puss already knew. The storyline then shifts into a quest for the three to steal magic beans from the local notorious criminals Jack (voice of Billy Bob Thornton) and Jill (voice of Amy Sedaris) and use them to grow a beanstalk leading to Giant's castle and grab the golden goose, which should somewhat eventually erase Puss' status as an outlaw. I found this movie to be reminiscent of The Mask of Zorro, and not just because Antonio Banderas is the lead.

The voice acting is good as it always has been in the Shrek series. The casting department has seemed to have newfound talent in Billy Bob Thornton and Zach Galifianakis, who had not had previous voice credits under their names bar, the English version of Princess Monokoke for Bob Thornton. They bring their characters to life as much as possible but that leads me to state a criticism. Character development is lacking in this film. Who each of these characters start with is really how they end up too, with the odd moment here and there where they deliver some philosophical line that they believe in, which is typical in virtually every Hollywood film. However, the each of the characters' character has enough charm and wit to keep the film entertaining for the full 90 minutes and conclude satisfyingly. That last comment was similar to what I stated about Kung Fu Panda 2. And for that same reason, plus the fact that low expectations generated after the failures of Shrek the Third and Forever After will be fulfilled, Puss in Boots is recommended. Plus it's gorgeous to look at every scene in 3D here too. DreamWorks Animation has done it again, hitting two home runs with the same bat, labelled Sequel/Spin-offs, this year.
    If you were to ask me who my favorite character is from the "Shrek" films, I would have to say Gingy, the Gingerbread Man. Apart from getting a kick out of his hilariously exaggerated voice, I've always had a certain fondness for him; he's so small, and yet he's capable of doing big things, like defiantly telling Lord Farquaad to eat him and then spitting into his eye. And believe you me, no other character could have delivered the line, "We're up Chocolate Creek without a popsicle stick!" But don't get me wrong, I like Puss in Boots a great deal. How can anyone not like him? He's an adorable orange cat with a cool swashbuckling getup and a magnetic Spanish voice. It's no wonder to me that he's the star of his own spin off film. While it gave me nothing new as far as family-friendly animated comedies go, "Puss in Boots" is bright, beautifully rendered, and just plain fun.

I used the word "bright." Let me make it clear that I'm referring to the film's tone. Had I been smart and seen it in 2D, then maybe the word would have had double meaning. But no, I had to see it in picture-dimming 3D, which was not immersive so much as it was assaulting. It begins the instant the film starts; the boy on the DreamWorks Animation logo takes his fishing rod and swings it around like a whip, causing the line to snap directly at our faces. There are many moments like that in this movie, which may account for why it contains more than its fair share of action. One sequence has Puss running across rooftops, through windows, and between alleyways; the problem is that much of it is seen from his perspective, so the objects that constantly zoom past do nothing but blur our field of vision.

But I'm just rehashing my usual complaints about the 3D process, which I'm sure you're tired of at this point. Let's move on. The CGI is impressive, the characters are appealing, and the plot is serviceable for both children and adults alike. Although the location has shifted from the forests of Far Far Away to a costal Mexican village, making it more of an animated western parody, the film is very much a fantasy, and like the "Shrek" films, it pokes fun at characters from nursery rhymes and fairy tales. There is, of course, Puss (voiced by Antonio Banderas) – suave and seductive, less a figure of children's literature and more a feline reboot of Zorro. Exclusive to this story: Humpty Dumpty (voiced by Zach Galifianakis), who must supply at least one egg-related pun ("I'll tell you this: It ain't over easy!"); and Mr. and Mrs. Jack and Jill (voiced by Billy Bob Thornton and Amy Sedaris), murderous thugs built like hulking trolls. The idea of them procreating is just shy of nauseating, hence the joke that they always talk about starting a family.

The story involves Puss and Humpty reteaming after years of being apart. I will not divulge the specifics of their separation, except that they were raised as brothers in a local orphanage. Together, they plot to steal three magic beans from Jack and Jill, climb the gigantic beanstalk to a castle in the clouds, and find the Goose That Laid the Golden Eggs. Tagging along is a new character, Kitty Softpaws (voiced by Selma Hayek), a master pickpocket and Puss' inevitable love interest. They meet under circumstances common in action films: He fights under the incorrect assumption that she was a man. Well, that isn't quite true; they don't fight so much as dance competitively. Only in a cartoon world can you successfully blend martial arts with flamenco.

Apart from the bold visual style, I took notice of Henry Jackman's score, skillfully composed in the style of Hollywood westerns. You probably know the sound I'm talking about – trumpets, castanets, Spanish guitars, and whistling comprise the bulk of the orchestra throughout much of the movie. I found it very infectious, especially during the aforementioned dance sequence. More dancing is reserved for the start of the end credits. You'll appreciate this if you're a cat owner, as I am; rows of cats "dance" by playing with spots of light moving on the floor in perfect unison. I can personally attest to the fact that cats are very easily distracted by random points of light. God help me if I use a flashlight or laser pointer in my house.

I digress. I cannot sit here and say that "Puss in Boots" is the year's best animated film, because it most definitely isn't. But the long and short of it is, it achieved everything it wanted to achieve, and I certainly enjoyed watching it. Here is a film children won't mind watching and parents won't mind taking them to see – provided, of course, that they can save the extra money and see it in standard 2D. I wouldn't blame them for making that decision. If they're paying your way in, they deserve the privilege of a bright picture, bold colors, and scenes that don't have swords and cats flying out at you. I would wager kids would like it better that way, too. And now that this film has been made, I think it would be a good idea for the "Shrek" people to tell a story based on Gingy. I just love that guy, don't you?

-- Chris Pandolfi (www.atatheaternearyou.net)
    I went into this film, wanting to see it but with mild expectations. The director of this film is Chris Miller, whose most recent film as a director was Shrek the Third, which I thought was the worst one of that series. He has redeemed himself here. Something I noticed on this film was that Miller relied more on the story in the film, rather than put in too many pop culture references.

Antonio Banderas comes back from the Shrek series to voice Puss in Boots, once again. Banderas shows that there is no other actor who can voice this cat. In his own film, Banderas makes Puss into a much more lovable character. In the story, Puss is an outlaw in his hometown of San Ricardo. If seen, he will be arrested and put behind bars indefinitely. He has a mission to find magic beans.

Immediately, he has an unknown rival who is also after the same magic beans. After a long series of chasing and fighting, we find out that it is Kitty Soft Paws, voiced by Salma Hayek. Hayek does great a voicing this sassy cat with no claws, and can steal from one without that one realizing it.

It turns out that she was working with an old friend turned nemesis of Puss named Humpty Alexander Dumpty, voiced by Zach Galifianakis. Zach does an excellent job of becoming this socially awkward egg, who needs Puss for a job involving the magic beans. However, Humpty has a secret of his own.

These magic beans are heavily guarded by a husband and wife bandit couple named Jack and Jill, who are voiced by Billy Bob Thornton and Amy Sedaris. They are after the same thing Puss and Humpty are after, and want the rewards all to themselves. Thornton does a bit of a mix of his own regular voice and the voice he used when he was Karl Childers in his film Sling Blade. Sedaris made Jill sound like an angry hick.

The story is fun as it is about who Puss in Boots was before he met Shrek and Donkey. The five main characters were all well developed and well played. The visuals in this film are stunning. The animation was spectacular as the scenery is amazing. The music is great as it feels part spaghetti western, part modern day swashbuckling tale.

As for a family film. the kids will enjoy it. The parents will be able to sit through it and enjoy a good story for themselves. Even those who are not kids or parents, like myself, will enjoy watching this film.
  • From the Shrek movies comes the Puss in Boots character voiced by Antonio Banderas with all the charm one expects from the character with the addition of Kitty Softpaws (Selma Hayek) and Humpty Alexander Dumpty (Zack Galifianakis) also joining for a fun ride of trying to avoid being pursued by Jack (Billy Bob Thornton) and Jill (Amy Sedaris). Many funny scenes and lines but also much dramatically compelling close calls abound especially in 3-D. Many amusing mixups of various fairy tales with "Jack and the Beanstalk" being mostly used as source. If you were among the disappointed (I wasn't by the way) when watching the last 2 Shrek movies, this one may make you forgive the Dreamworks animation factory. So on that note, I highly recommend Puss in Boots.
    Puss in Boots must clear his name from all charges making him a wanted fugitive.

While trying to steal magic beans from the infamous criminals Jack and Jill, the hero crosses paths with his female match, Kitty Softpaws, who leads Puss to his old friend, but now enemy, Humpty Dumpty.

Memories of friendship and betrayal enlarges Puss' doubt, but he eventually agrees to help the egg get the magic beans.

Together, the three plan to steal the beans, get to the Giant's castle, nab the golden goose, and clear Puss' name....

So arguably, the greatest character from Shrek that isn't donkey gets his own big screen outing, and this is so much better than the green ones last two efforts.

From the upstart, it has endless hints of Desperado about it, and this is too it's credit.

The story is fantastic and the narration is played well, only having a few back stories to 'litter' the film. The voice cast are great with what they do, and even though it's not as high calibre as Pixar, or other Dreamworks animation, the film as a stand alone is almost purr-fection.

Banderas seems to be having a ball playing the titular character, and the final third is satisfying, if yet a little predictable. There is enough innuendo to keep adults happy, and the 3D is good, particularly the first few minutes.

It's not going to be remembered like other animated films, but it's a nice alternative to Christmas movies we will gets this season.
  • 'Puss in boots' actually wasn't that bad of a movie like i thought it would be from the trailer they showed on TV. they were more focused on the fact that its a cat who other cat fall in love with then the fact the movie has an actual plot and its not about the cat being a womanizer or something like that. its also in some aspects follows events from the actually tale which reminded me half way through that Puss In Boots is actually a tale and not a character invented by Dreamworks.

the 3D offcours was awesome and in many parts of the movie you feel like dancing to the music thats playing or just staring at these interesting characters and the sounds they make.

not so much as the best cartoon even but its definatelly watchable and i cant wait for the sequel !
  • 11/10! an instant classic for both children and adults! this is one of THE funnest flicks i have seen in a long, long time. as with Shrek, the humour works on different levels. we laughed straight for the first third of the movie, and also towards the end. it was so imaginative and well thought out that it just makes you really respect the minds and hearts behind this production! i found Antonio banderas incredibly charming and his delivery was seamless and hilarious. he truly 'carries' the movie well! yes, this is absolutely worth seeing in the theatres and in 3D! (oh and for those claiming it's not a perfect story line, remember it's an animation! so just go and enjoy it for the light-hearted movie, feel-good flick that it is :) puss in boots will charm you!!
    Dreamworks has practically mastered the majority of generes in this world. Shrek conquerd 'Fantasy', Megamind took over 'Superhero' and Kung Fu Panda went up to 'Martial Arts, said "Skadoosh!" and blasted it up into the heavens were the Box-office gods reside. Now Dreamworks has succefully charmed and beaten (sort of) the 'Spanish Western' with Puss in Boots which shows the life of the Zorro-esque cat before he was kicking it with a certain Green ogre and a Certain Talking Donkey.

In general the plot is a fun complete with a murderous outlawed married couple, The Origons of Puss and his rather tense relationship with egg-shelled mastermind and Childhood friend Humpty Dumpty, A plot to steal Golden eggs from a giant's castle, Magic Beans, A cat that says "ooooohhh..", Puss attempting to fix a broken reputation, and a showdown with (I'm not kidding) a GIANT freaking Goose named uh, Mother Goose/The great terror! It might not have that big of a climax, However Puss in Boots offers enough Spectacular Visuals, Voice-acting, Computer Animation and Humor to make this film a worthy addition to 2011's final line-up of films.
  • Finally Puss gets his own movie and the absence of Shrek, Fiona and Donkey does not take away from this film. As a standalone, 'Puss in Boots' is sheer feline fun. It's much better than the last couple of Shrek flicks. The story, even though it follows the fairy tale path, is richer and more layered. Even Puss's boots have a significant role other than being his cool footwear.

The humour works splendidly. The creators have definitely come up with some cool innovative ideas. The inclusion of Humpty gives it a new and funny twist. The cat jokes and gags are a treat and they made me laugh out loud. There's also a fun catfight-dance sequence that's full of energy and even some sensuality. The adults jokes tickle the funny bones and are subtle enough not to make one uncomfortable when watching children. Yet, it includes dark themes, such as that of betrayal and death, which does make 'Puss in Boots' somewhat more mature than the usual fluff stuff.

The voice cast is excellent. Salma Hayek and Antonio Banderas reunite after appearing together in three films but this time they're cats. Their chemistry is certainly a plus. Zach Galifianakis is great as Puss's childhood friend turned enemy. Amy Sedaris is hilarious as Jill and the rest of the cast do a fine job.

The sense of adventure is maintained throughout. The animation and visuals are excellent and the editing is brilliant but the heart of 'Puss in Boots' is the writing: the story, the characters and the humour.

This just goes to show that how much Puss deserved his own film and with some fine support he is fully capable of carrying a story.º If there are going to be more Puss films, I only hope they manage to keep up with this level of quality and not go the 'Shrek' way.
    Thank you Shrek for not only taking a back seat…but for not even showing up.

After the enormously disappointing last two Shrek films, his absence from the feature-length Puss In Boots, reminded me of the last major election when all Republican candidates distanced themselves far from the horrid George W. Bush endorsement. Heck, they didn't want to be even seen with him.

Puss's detachment from old pal Shrek was warmly welcomed as was the lack of the usual and over-used origin story attached to a spin-off movie. In fact, the short time they spent on how Puss got his boots, was fantastic, cute, original and a lot of fun. That said, I wouldn't want the whole film based around a Kitten Looking for Boots.

The movie as a whole a grand adventure, perfect for kids and adults. The story wasn't completely original and wildly predictable, but it was perfect for the younglings while the adventure, action, comedy and homage excellent for adults.

And speaking of homage, the inevitable and integrated Shrek-franchise fairy-tales weren't over done and more part of the story, than (said in best MadTV Stuart's voice) "Look at what I can do!" from the previous movies. On a personal note, these are the ones I most grew up with: Humpty (Alexander) Dumpty and Jack and the Beanstalk. (That last one was one of my all-time favorites as a kid, and when Disney redid it, oh, it was like Christmas.)

Puss and an oh-so-not-mysterious dueling cat team up with said Mr. Dumpty to get the goose that lays the golden eggs, but are wanted by the town folk and chased by, ah hem, Jack and Jill. (Now why couldn't Adam Sandler's feature length film take be as entertaining?) Puss needs to clear his name and save the town while finding time for love.

There. That was the basic premise. See? Great for kids. As was all the adventure and inventive scenes and gorgeous cinematography and graphics. This all will entertain adults as well, not boring them for a moment.

Finally, Antonio Banderas, who already starred in 3 previous films with this same character, breathes fresh life into the best character in the entire Shrek franchise. Unlike Cleveland from Family Guy, this character not only deserved his own spin-off, he can carry it. Further, most minor/secondary characters need to rely on those kooky new characters to fill in the gaps of the normal 90-minute timeframe. Not this time; while the co-stars were fun and entertaining, Puss held his own throughout and makes me welcome a Puss 2 Boots.

As long as it's more Puss Adventures and NOT leading us any closer to his meeting of Shrek.
  • Now before we begin, I'll make this quick on what i thought of the Shrek films. The first one, at the time, was a clever work of art that got Mike Myers and Eddie Murphy as a pretty good duo of animation voices for quite a while now. It was fresh, new, and one of Dreamwork's best CGI animated features. Shrek 2, was absolutely amazing. It took everything that made the original Shrek good and made it an amazing comedy! It introduced Puss in Boots as a spin-off of Zorro just hysterical, ESPECIALLY since he's played by Antonio Banderas, who played Zorro in the Martin Campbell movies, Mask of Zorro and Legend of Zorro. Overall, Shrek 2 is by far one of the best sequels that could ever be made by Dreamworks. Now for Shrek the Third and Shrek Forever After, all i got to say for those films is.......meh. they were okay.

So now, Dreamworks still has a good hold for the franchise, but now with Puss in Boots. So how was it? well, let's discuss it first.

The movie's what you expect it to be, an origin story of the whiskered outlaw with boots. It explains his backstory on how he became an outlaw and what he did to redeem himself of being no longer the villain his home town thought him to be, seven years after he was betrayed by a former comrade. For what it gives us, it's a pretty entertaining movie and shows a lot to give.

Antonio Banderas reprises his role as Puss, and does a good a job as he always he does. Salma Hayek plays Kitty Softpaws, Puss's love interest and a master thief. She could take the shirt off your back so fast, it'd take you 10 seconds to realize you lost it. Hayek's not unfamiliar with working with Banderas, so she knows the right style of acting to choose with him. Zach Galifianakis plays Humpty Alexander Dumpty, and is pretty good in the role. Despite being in the Hangover movies with barely anything funny once in a while, he at least tries to give a pretty good performance. Guillermo del Toro has a pretty good cameo in the film, and it works out well, since he's also the executive producer of the film.

One more thing I want to talk about is the 3D in this film, and this film's in the category for good 3D. Animation. The animation in the film, while CG, is gorgeous. Dreamworks has a thing for making such well made animated films, becoming it's own stronghold for CG animation, along with some of their films to have some well done action. Sure, i still prefer hand drawn animation, but i'm not saying CG animation is bad. I'm just saying it's overused. But back to the 3D. Like i said, animated films are one of the only category in movies that work best for 3D. And for this, it looks amazing. Is it as good as Pixar 3D movies? No, but it's still worth it.

Overall, Puss in Boots is a fun family film that really knows how to be entertaining. It's comedy, action, and dark story all in one.
  • Many of my friends said that this movie was nothing to be excited about and I watched it without high expectation to fill my evening.

But I have to admit, I was very nicely surprised - honestly, this movie is one of the best motion pictures I've ever seen: It has stunning visuals, an amazingly written and animated choreography (both for the fights and for the dances - every hair, every muscle of the cats just plays so nicely), it shows great love to the most tiny detail, good and easy to follow story (which is not always the best, but it's an animated movie kids should understand, so this time it's desired), it sports a well written and most importantly well played/animated love story, quite good action, well placed references to other media (First rule of bean club...) and of course - the cats.

OK, I admit - I'm a cat person, I basically am a cat, so that probably casts a slight shadow on my review but still, Puss in Boots is a very good movie.

Two things I would change to make this movie simply the best movie of all times: come up with a better visual idea for Humpty Dumpty (he's really ugly) and place Jack Black in his role (though I guess his ego wouldn't comply too well with playing a sidekick :D)
    Given that Shrek, as a self-contained full-length feature franchise, has not so much reached the end of the line as hit the buffers at full speed, a Puss In Boots spin-off is an excellent idea.

Carrying virtually no Shrek continuity (other than being set in a world where familiar fairy tale happenings are regular everyday occurrences) this film tells a tale from Puss's younger days, including his childhood as an orphan, his friendship with the conflicted Humpty Dumpty, and how it all goes horribly wrong. This leads to a present-day(-ish) adventure involving Jack and Jill (who turn out to be not at all what you would have expected), some magic beans, a beanstalk, a goose which lays golden eggs, and a cat burglar called Kitty Softpaws.

The film, set firmly in what one might call Zorroland is, as one might expect, technically excellent - set design, character design, voice, talent, animation and 3D are all flawless. There are a lot of good gags too, some laugh out loud stuff.

Somehow it doesn't quite all fit together, although I'm hard put to say why. It doesn't quite have the heart that the first Shrek movie did, for instance. But it is still an excellent family film, and merits a sequel. One can also imagine a Donkey spin off...
  • "Puss in Boots" is a perfect example of a movie I absolutely never would have seen if I hadn't gotten a pass to a free screening. And if I had gone to see it — and, to reiterate, I wouldn't have — there's simply no way I would have seen it in 3D. But it was free, so I did. I guess you could say I had low expectations.

Some background: I loved "Shrek", I basically couldn't stand "Shrek 2", in part because I found the Puss in Boots character more annoying than charming, and I never bothered with the other "Shrek" sequels. Life is just too short. So I expected "Puss in Boots" to be, at best, tolerable, stupid, and intermittently funny. Imagine my surprise when I found that it was somewhat better than tolerable, more than intermittently funny, and actually kind of clever.

The story, as should be expected from a member of the "Shrek" lineage, plays fast and loose with fairy tale characters, plot points, and conventions. Puss, an orphaned cat now branded as an outlaw, joins forces with Humpty Dumpty, an egg of questionable intent, and Kitty Softpaws, a feline fatale, to steal the magic beans from Jack and Jill, grow a magic beanstalk, and find the golden goose of legend. Naturally, things don't go according to plan, and the plot thickens. It's pointless, but fun.

There are instances of real invention here. The first is the setting, which is sort of a medieval spaghetti western, although the western card was played better in "Rango". There are several great visual gags, like what happens to Humpty's covered wagon, and a dance fight that is easily the best part of the movie. Without giving anything away, I'll also say that, the more you think about the identity of the "monster", the funnier, and the more fitting, it becomes. However, the storytelling is sloppy at times. There's at least one plot point that is dispensed with far too quickly, and the fate of one character simply doesn't make sense. Still, it all kind of works, and the good parts are good enough to help you forget the shortcomings.

Ultimately, the movie is saved by its pacing and its animation, which, as much as I hate to admit it, is absolutely stunning in 3D. I can't recommend paying the 3D up-charge, but I will say that those who do will probably not be disappointed. This isn't a cheap, gimmicky use of 3D, but one that actual adds depth and detail. There was one particular scene, a chase that, oddly enough, reminded me of "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids", where I found the use of 3D really creative. Would I pay for the 3D? Probably not, but for those looking for a 3D experience, you could do a lot worse.

"Puss in Boots" also raises the question of whether or not it's worth it to have major stars as voice actors. Actually, I take it back. This movie doesn't so much raise that question as answer it, resoundingly, with a no. As much fun as Antonio Banderas is as Puss, I'm not convinced that he brings anything to the role that a lesser known actor couldn't have brought. Salma Hayek and Zach Galifianakis are completely wasted as Kitty and Humpty. Billy Bob Thornton is a good choice as Jack, but that's largely because of the clever writing. Understand what I'm saying: I'm not being critical of these actors' work. I am being critical of the decision to cast them in a picture like this, where the most clever aspects of their characters come from the animation, not from the vocal performances. My suggestion would be to save the money needed to hire such big names, and use lesser known actors, perhaps from Broadway. That way, it would be easier for "Puss in Boots", a movie that many people will approach with a deserved amount of skepticism, to make money, and struggling actors will find more work. Believe me, the movie won't suffer from it.

This isn't high art. It's not nearly the equal of "Shrek", and it doesn't have one iota of the heart of most Pixar films, or of DreamWorks' "How to Train Your Dragon". But at the same time, it's not bad for what it is. It's clever, witty, well-made, and fast-paced. It's nothing like a masterpiece, but as far as diversions go, it's quite diverting.